[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

2 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

I'm rewatching, and has anyone else noticed how the business card scene was done in the daytime, but by the time she told him she wasn't interested, it was nighttime?  That's really annoying!  I'm just going to pretend she was shellshocked for ages and the sun went down in that interval.  Yeah!  I will not criticise this programme because I love it so much. 

That's how long he's been waiting.

It was Dusk! Just think evening just changes into night easily.  :P

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love this BTS. SSH and SJH really are comfortable and they touch each other's hair and in the 2.44 minutes SJH pointed at SSH eyes and he wiped it, he must have been teary eyed at the confession scene. I can't help but admire how great they look together and I find SSH really "good looking" (as SJH mentioned in the press conference of dinner mate) and dresses really well in perfect suits and his hair really makes him swoon worthy. SJH really dresses well too and they make a really fashionable pair.

I've been taking a step back from our drama this past week because I had some thinking to do.  I haven't posted and I haven't lurked; I've just been thinking.

I like the interaction between our leads; the actors are able to show a real connection.  I like that a lot.  I love Keanu and his budding relationship with the FL's boss.  (By the way, I'm sure someone must have mentioned this but since I've been away I don't know, is Keanu the ML's brother?  Seems like there's some sort of ties there somehow.)

But there are some things that I don't like; and, even though I'm still hoping that this could be plot development devices, I'm still having a problem with them.

The problems?   Our leads.  As much as I am enjoying them together, I am also Not enjoying it. 

The ML is somewhat passive.  Even in his business, he makes his office worker handle anything that scents of a problem.  Even with his mother, he won't face her at all.  Even though he seems to be beginning to pursue the FL, he is lacking.  His biggest fear is being left behind and here he is with someone new who has already been pushing him away repeatedly but he is just accepting it.  This is bad.

The FL is too self-involved and too caught up in her own emotions to see that she is causing pain to others.  It's no wonder that her former boyfriend doesn't take no for an answer; he probably already has plenty of experience with how hard-headed she can be.  She does not seem to have any idea (and maybe doesn't care) that the ML has feelings, too, and that she has the potential to hurt him.

In old-style dramas, we would see the opposite:  a FL who is too passive and a ML who is too aggressive.  Thus, I can kinda see why the writer would want to turn that dry old trope on its head.  But no matter the timing, no matter the trope, I find it hard to watch a vulnerable person being led on by someone who is insensitive, and that's what I'm seeing here.  I don't like that.  Right now, honestly, the ML is kinda breaking my heart and I can't stand the FL.

The stalker-y exes are also annoying.  (the reason I nearly dropped this drama after ep 3)  And possibly dangerous.  When the FL's ex did his double kabe-don that blocked her against the filing cabinets, I was very put off.  The cling ML's ex is.....clingy.  Kinda like gum that you can't get off the bottom of your shoe.  

Still, I'm gonna hang in there with this drama.  Since we are at the mid-point, I may do a re-watch to better assess my feelings about it. 

Not trying to stir up controversy because I am aware that there are a lot of good points to this drama but, to be fair, I thought maybe I ought to say that I was seeing another side to it, too. 

Hoping that the second half of the drama will see some changes in the reactions/personalities of our leads.

5 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

I'm rewatching, and has anyone else noticed how the business card scene was done in the daytime, but by the time she told him she wasn't interested, it was nighttime?

hahahaha isn't spring just over with the flowers came and gone.. that scene sure made it seem like autumn/winter where nightfall came early :lol:

DH has too many things on her plate.. the pressure to make NE's pilates show a hit, have this clingy ex hovering around her (seriously, what's JH's role in this project anyway?), her mom ranting the same thing about her dad and the cafe ladyboss affair (which she is so sick of listening).. and now HK comes into the picture as well. instead of samgyeopsal, she is being served kimchi fried rice where everything is tossed in a mess  :sweatingbullets: but i'm glad she has AY and SR as friends.. they sure bring much joy and comfort to her hectic life!

the preview,  it's probably in reversed order like after HK's confession they had dinner and he checked on her wound? the one where HK cooks for DH in his office kitchen seems like, a rehearsal to showcase how HK as a psychiatrist treats his patients using food and DH is there for work, not on a date... :rolleyes:

ps. DH must have a lot of jackets hahaha :phew: her fashion style did a huge leap from her usual hoodie attire in the first few episodes :D

2 hours ago, thistle said:

The ML is somewhat passive.  Even in his business, he makes his office worker handle anything that scents of a problem.  Even with his mother, he won't face her at all.  Even though he seems to be beginning to pursue the FL, he is lacking.  His biggest fear is being left behind and here he is with someone new who has already been pushing him away repeatedly but he is just accepting it.  This is bad.

The FL is too self-involved and too caught up in her own emotions to see that she is causing pain to others.  It's no wonder that her former boyfriend doesn't take no for an answer; he probably already has plenty of experience with how hard-headed she can be.  She does not seem to have any idea (and maybe doesn't care) that the ML has feelings, too, and that she has the potential to hurt him.

Insightful reading of  DH. You are right that she is somewhat "caught up with herself". She is very self aware about her feelings and what she wants, so she acts very directly, whether about her work (B-class shows) and her personal life. But I don't see her as selfishly hurting others, though. She heard what HK wanted, took it at face value, respected it and stepped back. She stands her ground, but she also gives in. With No-eul, she was willing to change her decision in order to help her. She also gave in to AY's request to work with JH.

I think HK is passive with regard to his mother and his ex girlfriend. He needs to say no and turn away more firmly. Running off to help his ex when she is in an accident is probably not the right kind of boundaries to draw. But then again, if you think about how he had been abandoned as a child, that is probably to be expected. His assistant has been doing tasks that are expected from an assistant. What tasks did you think were not appropriate?

With DH, he has not been passive. He was the one that initiated all five dinners, except for camping (which was DH's friend). He offered to take the relationship further by giving his name card, he rushed out to warn her about JH, and we see in this last episode, once he understood his feelings, he ran to confess his feelings.

So it seems like both leads are growing.

Awww, @ednamode101 DH looks beautiful in those pictures :heart:

I did miss her CLOY look, as I think the fringe hides her face, but it’s growing on me. And it also suits DH’s character, a frantic personality who is more tomboyish and not glammed up or over-groomed. I do like to think that SSH was bowled over by SJH in CLOY, like many of us, and that’s why he chose to act with her. CLOY is one of the few dramas where I found the second loveline more interesting than the leads. 

I can barely look at SSH, he’s so sincere and handsome, so bright and shiny, like looking at the sun. I’m in the full grip of a SSH swoon attack which is probably going to last for the next 2 months at least, haha. 

@Nodame I watched the coffee clip, and how is he so suave all the time??!! He looks like he’s a walking commercial! Even in his lounge clothes. :rolleyes: Dreamy.

HK is a dreamy boyfriend and hopefully a future hubby materials...hahahaha

DH already shown her bad and terrible fate in front of this guy..and lets show him your pretty one like when she visited the clinic in the previous episode...

I hope NE can find another man or whatever for accompany her when she is in trouble. The bestfriend has a job and HK has a woman he is in love with to be spent his time with her. And for JH...hhhmmm...just please go back to America and never come back. Its super creepy how you enter and steal DH's stuff in her studio. or it can be a reason for DH to move to HK's apartment?...hahahhahahha...half way to go!

56 minutes ago, cantbreathe said:

Awww, @ednamode101 DH looks beautiful in those pictures :heart:

I did miss her CLOY look, as I think the fringe hides her face, but it’s growing on me. And it also suits DH’s character, a frantic personality who is more tomboyish and not glammed up or over-groomed. I do like to think that SSH was bowled over by SJH in CLOY, like many of us, and that’s why he chose to act with her. CLOY is one of the few dramas where I found the second loveline more interesting than the leads. 

I can barely look at SSH, he’s so sincere and handsome, so bright and shiny, like looking at the sun. I’m in the full grip of a SSH swoon attack which is probably going to last for the next 2 months at least, haha. 

@Nodame I watched the coffee clip, and how is he so suave all the time??!! He looks like he’s a walking commercial! Even in his lounge clothes. :rolleyes: Dreamy.

I literally just said this to my friend! The man is beautiful. He’s like a sculpture. When he’s driving he looks like he’s in a car commercial. When he’s checking the time, it’s like an IWC watch commercial.

SJH is adorable. She looks like a doll. I love her look, it goes well with her down-to-earth vibe. And that mustard Club Monaco pantsuit with the vintage Chanel vanity case was perfection.

I loved SSH from the very first episode. My friend caught up a few episodes later and now she’s equally OBSESSED with SSH. I can’t put my finger to it. He’s just gorgeous and his character’s personality makes him so beautiful. A handsome, successful, sensitive psychiatrist who listens and adores his woman even at her worst? Thank you, Kdrama for continuing to create unrealistic expectations!

Not gonna lie, I’m low-key shipping these two actors. I thought I’d never get over CLOY and BinJin but my Kdrama heart is fickle. I’ve gone from swooning over Hyun Bin to SSH. My friends have been sending me pouty Hyun Bin gifs <_<

40 minutes ago, schummy_lover said:

or it can be a reason for DH to move to HK's apartment?...hahahhahahha...half way to go!

I would love this! I LOVE reluctant roommate scenarios in rom-coms! Best way to expose hidden feelings and spend the maximum amount of time possible together! Mwahahahaha :lol:

1 hour ago, schummy_lover said:

or it can be a reason for DH to move to HK's apartment?...hahahhahahha...half way to go!

30 minutes ago, cantbreathe said:

Best way to expose hidden feelings and spend the maximum amount of time possible together!

omg what is this heading to?? dinner mates to house mates to room mates?? :phew: but i bet DH is the strong independent girl all ready to punch JH in the face once she learnt about the actual reason why JH left the last time.. i think AY suspected something during the time when he came to 2N Box but JH avoided the question..

lets just hope nobody gets hurt or injured (although unlikely?) in the few episodes ahead..

I ship SSH and SJH and hope they be a couple for real. Also I wish they work together again soon after Dinner Mate. I have watched episode 13-14 and 15-16 over and over when I'm not working, and I still can't  get over the emotions they went through and my heart goes out to the two of them everytime I watch. I don't think I will ever get tired of rewatching Dinner Mate ❤

Just now, huckleberrymoonriver said:

@Misstinkeryes he really is and we can't help but love his character KHK because of his caring ways especially to DH.

Even before he declared that he likes DH, he already showed several times how he cares for DH and maybe he just can't bring himself to tell it to her then or admit it to himself.

Yes I agree with you 

1 hour ago, huckleberrymoonriver said:

Even before he declared that he likes DH, he already showed several times how he cares for DH and maybe he just can't bring himself to tell it to her then or admit it to himself.

probably cos he din know that is love... since NE claimed he had never really loved her since he kept his true feelings well protected behind those walls. :rolleyes:

Archived