[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

29 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

probably cos he din know that is love... since NE claimed he had never really loved her since he kept his true feelings well protected behind those walls. :rolleyes:

Hi, Darling...fancy seeing you here...:heart:

I also think that he built a wall to guard his heart because Mommy left him when he was young. The wall that was built due to fear of getting hurt  because he learned since he was young that even Mommy can’t be trusted and can left him anytime. It’s a defense mechanism. 

Those wall made him unable to really love NE, that’s why he was never upset of her cheating ways and all of her bad attitude when he was dating her. With DH, he feels comfortable and unintentionally DH seems to understand his heart. 

DH also has bad parents and she has her own defense mechanism. She’s loud, strong and not scares to voice out and kick the people who wronged her. Like how she literally kicked his cheating BF in first episode and how she reprimanded her mother whose only knows how to complains but no action in regards to Daddy’s cheating habit. 

Both dealing with the same situation in an opposite way....

NE also has bad Mommy that used her. She’s craving for attention the reason she was cheating left and right when she was dating HK, to get him to reacts, to get his attention. While the protective wall that he built prevented him to do that.

This drama deals with dysfunctional parents who produced dysfunctional children. Fathers eaten sour grapes and the children’s teeth set on the edge.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

@cantbreathe     :coolshades:Oh I agree the panelists of the show "I live alone", whatever he does is a CF. But yup him just leisurely looking out drinking his morning coffee was a MOOD. OMG. If I were on that panel, I admit I would be squealing with the women too! It is hard not to!

Spoiler

BTW , are you aware of his only "adult" erotic movie Obsessed /인간중독 예고편 made in 2014 did well as fans were able to see him in mature bed scenes and his "butt" in the movie? He is a general back from Vietnam who falls into an affair with his subordinate's wife. 

The movie trailer

The movie reviewish of sorts

and @ednamode101  SSH is fine and I agree. I always though he was a work of art. Dang! :heart3:

@sadthe1st @Misstinker& @huckleberrymoonriver I agree. When NE was talking to HK  in the car after their meal, she explained she will pursue him but also why she "lashed out" and "cheated" on him as she KNEW he would. But she did not feel he loved her. So when he was talking to himself en route to DH, he realized all NE complained he did not show to her, he did with DH (a stranger who he barely knew beyond their dinner dates feeling frustration, jealousy and anger). So he then realized he must like her. He is taking that leap of faith. (Def trauma from mom and family has shaped him to protect his heart. Though he felt he loved NE, maybe he liked the THOUGHT Of loving her in his terms. Not a passionate love but love of caring for that person, but NE was not satisfied with it (?)

Thanks for the pics @Misstinker  gosh no matter what pics, he looks good. Even the first reading of the scripts, alot of actors/actresses are dressed comfortably or very scruffy, he just radiates charisma. Swoon.

@ednamode101 The photo montage you shared ---yes it is great to have a man listen to what you say and execute on it.

• Like 6

I think HK was very insightful when he said NE didn’t love him, she loved who she was when they were dating, and she wanted to get back together because she believed it would give her back her old self. 

DH said something similar when she said she has regrets and hang ups about her first love, because she was at her brightest when she was with her first love. 

I think it’s perhaps the case with JH, that his happiest time was with DH and something very difficult happened in the intervening years, and he’s obsessed with her for that reason. 

I’m a bit confused about the timeline though! Did JH leave for 10 years or 3? And was HK dating NE for 8 years? Then when did they break up?? She only looks 25!

@Nodame I squealed like that lady when I watched the coffee clip, haha. It’s impossible not to. He is very squee-worthy.  

Edited by cantbreathe
  • Like 4

@cantbreathe LOL regarding the actress playing NE, she is an idol singer of Apink and she is 26 . She is YOUNG. So to say she was 8 yrs with HK (she was in college and very young. IRL SSH is early 40's. Big age gap. But only in dramas. Yeah 8 years is a long time and she is still looking young.

I agree insightful she wants to go back to the time she was doing well. Same for JH. Who doesn't want to be in a great and bright place in their life? (But to lose it and leave it was their choice too. Lack of appreciating what they had until it is gone. Such a common thing though but real but true).

We still don't know about JH --if he really went to USA or not. Seems like AY knew something saying at one point he was not abroad. Could it be the fact he was dealing with Keanu in the intervening years? He wrote that article that brought is downfall or possibly went to  Keanu for help?:pensive:

I think DH and JH , believe dated a long time like HK and NE. But him being away I don't think it is 10 yrs. I think more the situation in USA (If he even went was at least 3-5 yrs, I don't recall the actual detail of the length of him being away abroad). This makes more sense. But heck I don't know.

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 4

I feel JH is too scary, I imagine if I meet someone that I cannot love them, but they are always clinging and lying in wait for me like JH. It is shudder.

After the wedding party, DH received HK's business card and soon after she went to the supermarket with A Young, but JH took advantage of that moment when he came and broke into DH's house to find out the relationship of she and HK. He is so frightful, there is no trace of a man who has ever been in DH's house, except HK's business card  on the table, but he also tried to take it away.

I guess that after threatening HK and DH, that night JH continued to be on the watch near DH's house, he did not see her coming back, he thought that HK still see DH (while DH was at the convenient store) so he came back and crossed the red light with a inhibitive, angry mind.

And maybe JH thought he couldn't destroy HK with his article, so then JH hurt Noeul and HK was responsible for her, and obviously the main couple automatically separated from each other.

The scariest scene I didn't dare to look at JH, was the scene that he pretended to laugh and talk to DH in his car. However, I have to thank him for informing HK that his dinner mate is DH, otherwise HK could not understand DH's thinking why DH refused to meet him.

44 minutes ago, cantbreathe said:

I’m a bit confused about the timeline though! Did JH leave for 10 years or 3? And was HK dating NE for 8 years? Then when did they break up?? She only looks 25!

JH and DH fell in love for 6 years, then they ended for 5 years. So when JH met HK, he said that they love each other more than 10 years, even though they separated sometimes but still love each other.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, romance06 said:

The scariest scene I didn't dare to look at JH, was the scene that he pretended to laugh and talk to DH in his car.

I think I missed this? Did he talk to an imaginary DH in his car (that’s really scary), or do you mean when he was talking to her after he got her to drive his car after the hospital? 

I’ve got to hand it to the scriptwriters, usually I can work out the reason for the angst, but I think they’ve hidden the main mystery well! It’s kept us all guessing! Not sure if we’re going to end up sympathetic to JH or he’s going to be a 2 dimensional baddie. I’d like to think the former, because the show is about psychiatry and mental well-being, and the characters (except NE) are presented as complex and well-rounded so far.

And I think the actor who plays JH is doing a great job. (I first noticed him in Rookie Historian and thought he was brilliant in that.) I watched the scene where we first meet JH in the stew restaurant again, and I liked him, he seemed sincere and nice. And it was presented in that sliding doors way which helped!  It seems that the trigger that made him unhinged was hearing DH may be with another man. 

@Nodame You’d think they could have made it a 4 year relationship to be believable. I don’t understand why they’d pair such a young woman with SSH when the themes of the show rest on first loves, continual heartbreak and the walls you build, and bringing baggage into later relationships. I know there’s a lot of criticism about NE actress’ acting - she does appear as a one dimensional spoilt princess from mean girls- and I initially thought it was the script. But now, I think if she were older, or a different actress, she could bring shades of regret and sorrow to her role. She could be a fallen from grace female business boss (she’s supposed to own a gym and be famous) who regrets losing the most stable man in her life and now has no one but herself to blame, and she’s desperate to get him back. As it is she looks like an internet influencer airhead who is stuck up and wants to get back with him for unconvincing reasons but alternatively has the rest of her twenties to find another guy! 

@romance06 thanks for the timeline! I got confused when he said they’d loved each other for a decade! 

Edited by cantbreathe
  • Like 5

@cantbreathe  Yes, I agree 4 yr relationship is MORE believable and that actress as NE is def not good enough actress compared to the rest of the cast. She is still a rookie. Other than being in APINK and pretty, I think that is not enough. She does have the "looks" to be a believable fitness/internet influencer. But as we agree on her lack of acting chops right now, a better actress would have worked. I wouldn't mind Lee Sung Kyung (she has beautiful eyes and she is a great actress)

Spoiler

As with many rookie actors-- they got to start somewhere. I recall early works by Kang Seo Jun (ugggh did not like) he is much better than before--help on Cheese in the Trap. I love SSH, but I admit in the beginning when I saw him in Three Men Three Women (His first acting gig and I read he almost got fired for his bad acting despite his good looks). He was def a weak link acting wise. I know everyone has to work hard and get their acting skills/chops somewhere. Though I like Han Ye Seul, her acting is not multi layered so she is for me better in breezy characters than serious acting roles.

I realize some faves I love acting were singers/idol group members but AMAZING actors /actress--- Yoon Eun Hye, Eric Mun, Hwang Jung Eum immediately come to mind.

• Like 3

On 6/17/2020 at 1:59 PM, airgelaal said:

They will hug after confession, so I think, she will be ok. I have so much faith in her.

@airgelaal IF they don't at least hug (ugh) it looks like he takes her out to dinner and he looks at her with those soulful "I'm in love" eyes while he takes her hand and strokes the cut with his thumb. Freaking SWOON. He also looks at her the same way while he's cooking in his office kitchen but our girl's looking very confused and conflicted.

@cantbreathe My friend and I were just talking about that transition from daytime to night. Like, okay we can all stare at SSH but exactly how long were they standing there that the sun had already set?? Hahaha! Minor details.

@hyall Yes! He waited for her several times: to return her ring, then outside her place to warn her about her ex and he misses her by a few minutes.

Spoiler

Advanced issue found

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

@Nodame I read about that movie and clicked on a clip out of curiosity and holy moly. My eyeballs aren't used to that kind of hotness, omg. I mean, how?! The man's now 43 and he's far sexier than a lot of guys (boys?) half his age. God help us all.

@Nodame I do agree with you. DH ended things with him to protect herself since she constantly felt like she was at a disadvantage. NE just had to wake up and hug HK at that very moment. Argh. Oddly enough, NE had me in her corner for a brief moment when I saw how desperate she was for his attention even during their relationship. It doesn't justify her cheating and everything she did to him but I can see why she was hurt but still in love with him. She made a lot of valid points that he's so guarded since he's been doing the same with DH; he's happy to get to know her without revealing much of himself.

I guess that car conversation with NE made him realize his feelings for DH (I love how it had the opposite effect that NE had intended). NE had a point - he cares without risking much of himself. Which is why he tells DH, "I've never been so brave before in my life" because he does something so out of character and confesses his love to DH, whom he knows so well, yet doesn't even know at all. He realized DH pulled away because he had seen too much of her vulnerabilities while he rarely shared much of himself. It must be timing or experience but he was willing to step out of his comfort zone and confront his feelings and his own mistakes - something he could never do with NE. It brings it back to the idea of meeting the right person at the right time. With NE he was complacent which is why she rebelled and demanded attention. But with DH, they understand each other on a completely different level. She challenges him and, with her, he's willing to do something he wouldn't normally do, like dining at a food truck and a restaurant that looks like a health hazard and being silly enough to win that penguin for her.

Random thought: Going back to the camping scene, she tells him that JH brings back memories of herself when she was at her shiniest. Yet, HK fell in love with her when she was at the lowest point in her life.

Trailer thoughts:

- After his confession, where do they go from here? The vibe I'm getting is that he's so openly smitten by her yet DH seems to have a lot of reservations. I love how they're eating together again, but no longer as strangers.

- JH basically calling HK a quack. I'm scared to find out where this is going. I hope they don't do something lame like have DH go back to JH just so that he'll stop threatening HK's practice.

- BJ getting told off for not telling HK about DH. Hahaha!

- I wonder if NE realizes HK has feelings for DH and that's why she reasserts her claim over him. I hope this doesn't make our DH skittish again.

- I cannot wait to see HK in front of the camera doing what he does for his patients and watching him and DH work together. Apart from her boss I wonder if anyone else knows that HK is DH's dinner mate. Also, if they continue their dinner mate arrangement, I imagine it's something they do in secret.

Good lord, I have to get back to work. This show makes me want to write an entire essay. Anyway, I'll leave you folks with this screenshot from the coffee clip you guys had been discussing.

Woman: It's like a work of art.

Yes, girl, yes, it is.

dEFOWes.jpg

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

@ednamode101 Your very welcome btw. We fans of SSH have to be there for one another!

:happy:

Spoiler

Yup, I knew that newbie fans would not know that HOT film. Many curious SSH fans went to see it. I haven't not seen it yet, but not going to lie, those scenes of them having the affair (OMG to HOT to handle) Very sizzling he has a FINE butt indeed!  Hard to not be PERVY! HHEHEHHEHEHHEHEE.  He admitted this was his first challenge in a more mature and DIFFERENT Image for him.

:yaaa:

I see and agree NE had valid points but her reactions and actions to get him to do something the way she expected was immature and not right. So she reminded HK what he needed to do and gave him the nudge inadvertently towards DH with him internally checking the boxes he could not with his time with NE. hehehhehehee. YES :hypehype: Totally in agreement and that is why I squealed even more when he was driving over to DH while having that dialogue with himself.

I LOVE that HK loves her at her lowest. As it is EASY to love anyone at your shiniest, no one can be perfect all the time.  So for me HK liking her even ugly warts and pimples and embarrassing situations is a WIN! HE may not have shown much to her but the fact he was willing to share about his mom (no matter how minimal is a revelation indeed).

@ednamode101 You at work too? Where are you ? I am EST in USA. Soompi is deadly.

--BJ poor him. Yeah seeing that preview HK telling him off not telling him earlier. (We are assuming that he is referring to DH and her identity). But remember, the times DH came over, HK never saw her face. So to him, BJ doesn't know that HK ever met her. Even when he wanted to crash their date after dining out HK was with a gorgeous female, the blind date setup call got him to leave the restaurant immediately. In his stead, he sent HK mom over to check her out. So I cannot see when HK would piece it together. Plus the times BJ told HK---tell her I am not coming.  (It was sad chance he did not see a dolled up DH after GW's make over). Lucky for BJ he got to see her gorgeousness. 

-At least now DH has been showing off her gorgeous looks in those lovely pantsuits. Kudos to the stylist. Is showing the transition of her paying more attention to her looks now she feels getting out of her dumps over JH and liking HK. She realizes she should get herself out there as AY recommends?

-Def looking forward to MORE of our OTP interactions. Hmm not sure if they can go to DINNER immediately after the confession (unless quitting time) . I guess it is later in the day so that is entirely feasible. But that scene of him looking so smexy holding her HAND ---lucky gal.:heart2:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Spoiler

@Nodame Ahh! By all means, perv away! No judgment. They shouldn't have filmed those scenes if they didn't want us to watch it. So I had heard of the movie before and the steamy scenes but it wasn't until Dinner Mate that I put two and two together. My brain went on the fritz when I realized. I was like, waiiit, waiiiit, waitaminutewaitaminute that's Dr. Kim's naked butt! Still love him in suits, obviously, but still. Who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

I'm on EST, too! Canada, to be precise. I have so much work and a crapload of deadlines coming up but I'm rewatching that confession scene. Whyyyyy can't I watch Kdramas for a living?

Oh man, the trailer scene where he strokes her hand and cooks for her... why is it only Thursday?! And you're right, how could BJ have known about DH when HK had been telling him to avoid her. It would be interesting to see AY's reaction since she's the only one who's privy to DH's feelings.

Costume-wise, HK continues to bring it with his suits and just the right hint of ankles. I love DH's comfortable working woman look. It's such a contrast to NE's hyper feminine style. However, I guess as her feelings change, we're starting to see her in brighter colours or at least less baggy looks. They're so perfect for each other.

More observations:

- DH's backhanded compliments. In one scene she tells him he looks like a melodrama actor but he's so unsentimental. And he's like, so does that mean I'm handsome? And her reaction makes him laugh. During the camping trip when he jumps on the chair, she tells him he looks like a perfectionist but he's actually quite gullible. Every time DH compliments HK, she also jokingly insults him - and he loves it!

- HK is usually calm and cool but he gets flustered around DH, like when he returns her ring and she teases him and asks him if he stopped by because it was really on his way.

- DH is just freaking adorable. I didn't think I could love SJH more but her portrayal of DH makes me wish we saw a little more of her comedic side in CLOY. But never mind. I love the ring scene when she tells him they have to remain anonymous so she can tell him all her secrets because she still has "pockets full" of them. Hahaha!

- Also, something I wanted to point out. I don't know any Korean but after having watched the final scene of CLOY more times than I'd care to admit, I noticed something. During the rooftop confession scene, HK says, "I wanted to see that woman" but the same phrase, according to CLOY and Google Conversation Translator, HK actually says, "I've missed you."

- The CLOY spoof seems to have attracted a lot of new viewers so welcome, everyone! :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, ednamode101 said:

Costume-wise, HK continues to bring it with his suits and just the right hint of ankles. I love DH's comfortable working woman look. It's such a contrast to NE's hyper feminine style. However, I guess as her feelings change, we're starting to see her in brighter colours or at least less baggy looks. They're so perfect for each other.

I’ve never loved white blazer jackets and white chino pants more than I do right now! Haha. 

@Nodame I only now realised I had seen the trailer for Obsession, but back then my SSH senses had not been activated, so I didn’t observe anything special. But now that my ability to admire and drool over SSH is very much activated (in overdrive), I am so very jealous of whoever the leading lady of that is now! I can’t watch it right now however, bum or no bum, because I’m too heavily invested in my fictional HK and DH’s love at the moment!!! But it’s not like I’m not going to watch it, just all in good time.:D

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

I think I missed this? Did he talk to an imaginary DH in his car (that’s really scary), or do you mean when he was talking to her after he got her to drive his car after the hospital? 

Yes. He was talking to her after he got her to drive his car after the hospital. 

He talks about her mother's kimchi. The way he pretended like they had just broken up for weeks or months, not for 5 years with a brief message. At the same time, the accident that he caused was random, while he threatened HK, and thought a lot about how to work it out.

Me too. I felt sorry for him at first, but the later I found JH too terrible. I was also scared when he shouted at HK, and kicked the table.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, blademan said:

They’re wearing the same outfits! This is AFTER his confession! Their first meal after a long time!

KH looked totally smittened lol but DH seemed still, unsure? :phew:

haha she is so cute here! hey, so now we know, HK has a photo of her in his phone :ph34r:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

I’ve never loved white blazer jackets and white chino pants more than I do right now! Haha. 

@Nodame I only now realised I had seen the trailer for Obsession, but back then my SSH senses had not been activated, so I didn’t observe anything special. But now that my ability to admire and drool over SSH is very much activated (in overdrive), I am so very jealous of whoever the leading lady of that is now! I can’t watch it right now however, bum or no bum, because I’m too heavily invested in my fictional HK and DH’s love at the moment!!! But it’s not like I’m not going to watch it, just all in good time.:D

@cantbreathe Hahaha! I've always had an aversion to white pants or a white blazer on men but because of SSH, I'm reconsidering my stance on this. Perhaps I was being too judgmental? I'm also going to wait until this show is over to watch Obsession. It would just be a SSH sensory overload. I must pace myself. Speaking of all-white:

fullsizephoto982783.jpg

Alright, so he strokes her hand in the trailer because he replaces the bandage on her hand. That's the second time DH has gotten hurt because of her ex and that's the second time HK has tried to make her feel better, first with the cold drink against her wrist burn and now he replaces the bandaid on her cut. Wahh!!! I can't with this man, I just can't. No wonder she looks like a deer in headlights.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, sadthe1st said:

KH looked totally smittened lol but DH seemed still, unsure? :phew:

haha she is so cute here! hey, so now we know, HK has a photo of her in his phone :ph34r:

DH look so happy here! I hope she gets to smile and laugh again with HK like they used to. I hope she gives HK the chance to show her his love and that she will return also his love.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 4

@ednamode101 @cantbreathe I agree SSH is a work of art. I too am not into all white, but he looks smashing in it! Just so drool worthy  & nice to have other shippers of SSH with moi.:hypehype:

@ednamode101 Good point about the wrist when he used the can to cook it after JH grabbed it. Since not seen him do anything about the hand yet (I won’t be surprised if he does).

* edit- I didn’t look carefully at the above posted pics. Ooh he put ointment on her hand. Swoon! (I guess looking at it on my cell in the wee morning hours I totally missed it!)

NE is bratty and needs to grow up. But I rather deal with her than the unhinged ex for DH. It is too spooky and scary. As mentioned by others, his cornering her, trying to get her attention, not giving personal space and waiting all hours for her doesn’t help. But I def was pissed how he set up to sabotage the photo shoot.

Also noted and I agree about the day/night (happened too fast ) for the biz card scene. That scene with that weird transition seemed way too long. Was the editor sleeping? Or the director lost the light and decided we need to film this now! :crybaby:

I like the bromance of HK and BJ. When BJ tried to cheer up HK with a strawberry milk- even he was touched until he saw the expiry date! lol! Or his concern after seeing JH leave and he tried to call security but got another dept instead. He had good intentions. Also liked he wants HZk to date and be happy and not as lonely. So when he found out a pretty gal with with HK, I wouldn’t blame him to want to see her! Just the sogeting offer happened that moment. 

We know DH, HG and NE all have issues with a parent. No wonder it would be hard to believe in relationships when the closest one you see is not exactly healthy or good.

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 5

Oh SSH :wub:  So pretty! What is his skincare routine??!! 

I never particularly liked white suits either, but he wears so many of them in his google pictures (I can’t help it, my eyes are super hungry for SSH. Where is Monday??!! Answer: too far away) that it has become my standard for a well dressed man now, haha. 

Another scene which is a bit of a stretch is the NE debtor scenes. We see NE’s debtors crashing into the gym, a debtor pulling her hair, someone calling GW, who then calls HK, who then goes to save NE. When HK arrives, most likely around 20 minutes later NE is STILL getting her hair pulled, haha. But as I said, I love this drama and I don’t care!

• Like 3
  • LOL 2