[Drama 2021] Penthouse/War in Life, 펜트하우스

0ly40

Hey guys I'm new here..I skip to watch the season 1 and start with the season 2..but I have a question maybe u guys can help me to explain it.. Is in the past Oh Yoon Hee and Ha Yoon Chul has some relationship? I just know that he is ex husband to Cheon So Jin...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, sasha1818 said:

I think all this discussion is good because it makes me look at the characters in a way that I wouldn't have otherwise. Sorry this post is probably very long and I'm just rambling here

Personally, I feel like most if not all of the characters are painted in grey here. There's no black and white. And I'm just enjoying the ride tbh. YH proved that she can be selfish and vicious like the rest of them in the Penthouse. Like ya, she was drunk but she wanted to kill to make her daughter's dream true. Kill an innocent life so like her precious child. And drunk actions reflect a sober person's thoughts in my mind. 

SR is good but she reminds me of that line in Parasite- she can afford to be kind and nice because she's rich. If she had a life that was as hard as YH would she have been as good? part of me says yes because she seems to have a good core. But at the same time, she neglected the twins because all of her attention went to the child she had with the man she really loved.

Seo Kyung's guilt towards SR shows that SR did love the twins but in a different way. Also, she treated her mom like trash so that's that lol. That scene of SR with the twins showed that they did have good times with her but it went sour as they got older when their dad's abuse of them got worse. Seo Kyung who is more emotional than Seok Hoon,  probably already had a complex that SR had her own daughter and so lashed out more at SR because she felt that SR chose her real daughter over them. 

Logan Lee was basically a rich spoiled child who happened to be sick. I notice there isn't one mention of all the OTHER children who were sent away after they got tested. But he fixates on Seol A because she helped heal him. So from that point of self interest, his feelings towards her softened to a sincere brotherly love and need to protect this person who helped him. Her efforts to treat him like a real brother left an impact as well. He must have been freaking lonely as a patient. 

Even the evil people have their own moments. SJ lives with the fear of her dad looming over her. And now she forever has his death on her hands. Her breakdown at the hospital felt very real. Yes she killed him but that was her dad and I think left a severe impact on her. She probably grew up in a cold coporate environment and besides her rivalry with YH, I suspect the warm and SINCERE affections that the Yoon Yoon couple had - she wanted that because she had been starved of real emotion. She started the affair with Dantae because again of jealousy and also because her husband clearly couldn't stand her- besides greed, it very much felt like - so love with a poor man didn't work out, eff it  I will go for power lol

Dantae- I think he got treated the same way his twins are being treated by him. Highly abusive environment and he NEEDED to marry SR to elevate his position. I don't doubt that he wasn't very pleasant to begin with but his upbringing didn't help. Dantae reads very cold. His relationship with SR was all about his legacy and he didn't love her. He was obsessed with her because she was the perfect society wife and  could give him benefits that no one else could have. With SJ, again, she's the picture of society wife AND their relationship is based on lust and passion. SR and him seemed very sexless tbh. Will be interesting to see his relationship with the twin's real mother. 

I remember a scene from season one when SJ was talking to her dad about how he raised her and why she is like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curlytop Asmr Lee said:

WHy 3 seasons of this? Does it really take that long to get the evil ppl the punishment they deserve?  I don't know if I can keep watching that long. I love the show but the constand evil winning is getting annoying.

Honestly, one season of 20 episodes would of been fine. I believe if they went with that route then Oh Yoon-Hee wouldn't have been written like she was. She might not of been Seol-A's killer, and JDT and CSJ would have gone to prison. Also, Shim Su-Ryeon wouldn't have been killed. You can tell that the investor's meeting in episode 19 was suppose to be the climax of the whole story. I think JDT was suppose to be Seol-A's killer but the writer's plans changed when the series got extended. 

There were rumors that in the first draft of the story, Oh Yoon-Hee witnessed the crime caused by Ju Dan Tae and that was the reason she betrayed Shim Su-Ryeon. She omitted because she wanted to stay in Hera Palace.     

• Like 1
  • Shocked 3

I heard that the writer changed the killer of MSA . It wasn't supposed to be Yoon Hee at first. Why the change?  It should have been someone else.  Having her be the killer kind of ruined her character for me. Now the only ones I totally rooted for were SY and MSA and they are both dead now.  I hope Lee Ji Ah comes back as a zombie or ghost. Its been 2 years later so she is deader than a doornail Lol. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Fenny Liong said:

Hey guys I'm new here..I skip to watch the season 1 and start with the season 2..but I have a question maybe u guys can help me to explain it.. Is in the past Oh Yoon Hee and Ha Yoon Chul has some relationship? I just know that he is ex husband to Cheon So Jin...

Yoon Hee and Yoon Chul dated when they were young and were in love but Seo Jin was jealous of them so once Yoon Hee  was accused of attacking Seo Jin and lost her voice, Yoon Chul jumped ship and broke up with Yoon Hee for the sake of Seo Jin and a more successful future cause she offered him all the connections to become a part of the Cheong Ah hospital. 

• Like 2

Also the constant bullying of other students in this drama has got to stop. I couldn't watch the "eating" scene with Jeni I just couldn't stomach what they were doing to her.  It's amazing that they dont have school shootings in SK with that severe bullying, they always end up committing suicide.  If BRN gets hurt then that will be like a karma button for YH, she hurts MSA so therefore her daughter gets maimed. If it is EB, then that will be karma for SJ for her constantly hurting other ppl.  And why doesn't anyone dare to slap SJ or Seok Kyung down?  THey are always putting their hands on ppl slapping them LOL.  I have hardly seen anyone get them back.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 3

22 minutes ago, leegary said:

I heard that the writer changed the killer of MSA . It wasn't supposed to be Yoon Hee at first. Why the change?  It should have been someone else.  Having her be the killer kind of ruined her character for me. Now the only ones I totally rooted for were SY and MSA and they are both dead now.  I hope Lee Ji Ah comes back as a zombie or ghost. Its been 2 years later so she is deader than a doornail Lol. 

This is my assumption. They changed it because of the show's extension.   

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

But can we applaud Kim So-yeon's performance as Seo Jin,:thumbsup: she is perfect, she steals the show from other actresses, her character is bad, so despicable and sometimes she is pitiful, I really love,  I like this character, I'm even surprised by that, in general I don't really like characters who are mean

I think Seo Jin still loves her ex husband, he's probably the only man she loves, but she also loves money, power, and being envied and wanted by everyone, frankly I also think Yoon chul has a little trouble admitting it but he still cares , love, a little about her

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 2

33 minutes ago, Emily Bett R said:

Yoon Hee and Yoon Chul dated when they were young and were in love but Seo Jin was jealous of them so once Yoon Hee  was accused of attacking Seo Jin and lost her voice, Yoon Chul jumped ship and broke up with Yoon Hee for the sake of Seo Jin and a more successful future cause she offered him all the connections to become a part of the Cheong Ah hospital. 

Just one more question,is rona his child?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fenny Liong said:

People have speculated that perhaps she is but there's no confirmation of it. It would only be possible if he got Yoon Hee pregnant, left without knowing and then got Seo Jin pregnant in the same year but we don't know anything about that yet.

24 minutes ago, marrez1 said:

But can we applaud Kim So-yeon's performance as Seo Jin,:thumbsup: she is perfect, she steals the show from other actresses, her character is bad, so despicable and sometimes she is pitiful, I really love,  I like this character, I'm even surprised by that, in general I don't really like characters who are mean

I think Seo Jin still loves her ex husband, he's probably the only man she loves, but she also loves money, power, and being envied and wanted by everyone, frankly I also think Yoon chul has a little trouble admitting it but he still cares , love, a little about her

Kim So Yeon is a QUEEN! She really makes you believe that Seo Jin is a real and horrible person. Kim So Yeon was the female lead of the very first drama I ever watched (Beating Again) and she's come so far! I'm always in awe of her presence.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I think it’s Rona that fell down the stairs, if you look closely around the neck of the victims you can see the outline of the earrings Rona is wearing. Also, when the parents first arrive at the scene Seo jin is there but when they’re all going down the stairs she’s no where to be seen so I think she went looking for Eunbyeol to get rid of evidence.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sasha1818 said:

I think all this discussion is good because it makes me look at the characters in a way that I wouldn't have otherwise. Sorry this post is probably very long and I'm just rambling here

Personally, I feel like most if not all of the characters are painted in grey here. There's no black and white. And I'm just enjoying the ride tbh. YH proved that she can be selfish and vicious like the rest of them in the Penthouse. Like ya, she was drunk but she wanted to kill to make her daughter's dream true. Kill an innocent life so like her precious child. And drunk actions reflect a sober person's thoughts in my mind. 

SR is good but she reminds me of that line in Parasite- she can afford to be kind and nice because she's rich. If she had a life that was as hard as YH would she have been as good? part of me says yes because she seems to have a good core. But at the same time, she neglected the twins because all of her attention went to the child she had with the man she really loved.

Seo Kyung's guilt towards SR shows that SR did love the twins but in a different way. Also, she treated her mom like trash so that's that lol. That scene of SR with the twins showed that they did have good times with her but it went sour as they got older when their dad's abuse of them got worse. Seo Kyung who is more emotional than Seok Hoon,  probably already had a complex that SR had her own daughter and so lashed out more at SR because she felt that SR chose her real daughter over them. 

Logan Lee was basically a rich spoiled child who happened to be sick. I notice there isn't one mention of all the OTHER children who were sent away after they got tested. But he fixates on Seol A because she helped heal him. So from that point of self interest, his feelings towards her softened to a sincere brotherly love and need to protect this person who helped him. Her efforts to treat him like a real brother left an impact as well. He must have been freaking lonely as a patient. 

Even the evil people have their own moments. SJ lives with the fear of her dad looming over her. And now she forever has his death on her hands. Her breakdown at the hospital felt very real. Yes she killed him but that was her dad and I think left a severe impact on her. She probably grew up in a cold coporate environment and besides her rivalry with YH, I suspect the warm and SINCERE affections that the Yoon Yoon couple had - she wanted that because she had been starved of real emotion. She started the affair with Dantae because again of jealousy and also because her husband clearly couldn't stand her- besides greed, it very much felt like - so love with a poor man didn't work out, eff it  I will go for power lol

Dantae- I think he got treated the same way his twins are being treated by him. Highly abusive environment and he NEEDED to marry SR to elevate his position. I don't doubt that he wasn't very pleasant to begin with but his upbringing didn't help. Dantae reads very cold. His relationship with SR was all about his legacy and he didn't love her. He was obsessed with her because she was the perfect society wife and  could give him benefits that no one else could have. With SJ, again, she's the picture of society wife AND their relationship is based on lust and passion. SR and him seemed very sexless tbh. Will be interesting to see his relationship with the twin's real mother. 

Can you have lust and passion without loving someone though? I think you should atleast like them in a certain sense?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Fenny Liong said:

It is a potential revelation in this season or next. Imagine the shock and drama value, but i doubt people will be surprised lol. Maybe writer is keeping it as a "subsititue" revelation if drama dries up and there is need for a sudden twist or plot to shake things up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fenny Liong said:

No because the timing doesn't match up. If Rona was maybe 3 years older than Eun Byol, I would have suspected it. But I do think Yoon Chul and Yoon Hee's break up was the very last time they saw each other.

• Like 4

The helicopter scene was funny, everyone getting blown by the wind :lol:

I like Seo Jin's new look here, her straight hair & makeup makes her looks younger compared to the first season. 

The maid was weird/creepy lmao since when was she in love with Dan Tae :crazy: Did I miss/forgot about this part in S1? 

Still wondering if Soo Ryun is actually dead... 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, sonequeen01 said:

No because the timing doesn't match up. If Rona was maybe 3 years older than Eun Byol, I would have suspected it. But I do think Yoon Chul and Yoon Hee's break up was the very last time they saw each other.

man this is penthouse! Writernim can easily construct a reason that explain the missing timing and it would all make sense!

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, sonequeen01 said:

Never count out a drunken hookup. It's PENTHOUSE! after all. :lol:

This is strictly my personal theory, but I don't think that Yun-Hui killed Min Seol-Ah.

- Su-Ryeon's conclusion that Yun-Hui is the killer is based almost completely on Yun-Hui's guilty behavior AFTER she "remembered" killing Seol-Ah.

- Seol-Ah had Yun-Hui's DNA underneath her fingernails. That is the ONLY physical evidence that Su-Ryeon has.

Su-Ryeon said Yun-Hui's wound on her hand is the reason that Seol-Ah had Yun-Hui's DNA underneath her fingernails. (That Seol-Ah scratched Yun-Hui's hand while struggling.) But that wound was actually from Yun-Hui raging in Seo-Jin's office and breaking stuff.

So there is actually no conclusive physical proof at all. And I feel like that has to mean something.

I do think Yun-Hui believes she killed Min Seol-Ah. But she is pretty easily deluded. After all, she was somehow convinced into believing that she killed Su-Ryeon, too.

--

How I feel about S2 so far?

I feel like the show is more self-aware. It's like the show knows what made it a hit and is playing up the ridiculous parts. Like Gyu-Jin's wife and Mari openly enjoying all the cracktastic drama and licking their chops at all the vicious fighting.

Gyu-Jin and Mari kissing. :persevere:

I kind of like that Yun-Hui and Yun-Cheol weren't really married. After all, Yun-Cheol slept with Seo-Jin pretty recently. I guess that's all a part of their diabolical plan to bring JUDANTE! and Seo-Jin down. And they have plenty of time to get together later.

I'm also guessing that the girl who falls down the stairs is Eun-Byeol. She's dying in the same way that Seo-Jin killed her father. Maybe Seo-Jin pushed her down the stairs! Patricide and prolicide (A word I just learned right now.)

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

2 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Never count out a drunken hookup. It's PENTHOUSE! after all. :lol:

This is strictly my personal theory, but I don't think that Yun-Hui killed Min Seol-Ah.

- Su-Ryeon's conclusion that Yun-Hui is the killer is based almost completely on Yun-Hui's guilty behavior AFTER she "remembered" killing Seol-Ah.

- Seol-Ah had Yun-Hui's DNA underneath her fingernails. That is the ONLY physical evidence that Su-Ryeon has.

Su-Ryeon said Yun-Hui's wound on her hand is the reason that Seol-Ah had Yun-Hui's DNA underneath her fingernails. (That Seol-Ah scratched Yun-Hui's hand while struggling.) But that wound was actually from Yun-Hui raging in Seo-Jin's office and breaking stuff.

So there is actually no conclusive physical proof at all. And I feel like that has to mean something.

I do think Yun-Hui believes she killed Min Seol-Ah. But she is pretty easily deluded. After all, she was somehow convinced into believing that she killed Su-Ryeon, too.

--

How I feel about S2 so far?

I feel like the show is more self-aware. It's like the show knows what made it a hit and is playing up the ridiculous parts. Like Gyu-Jin's wife and Mari openly enjoying all the cracktastic drama and licking their chops at all the vicious fighting.

Gyu-Jin and Mari kissing. :persevere:

I kind of like that Yun-Hui and Yun-Cheol weren't really married. After all, Yun-Cheol slept with Seo-Jin pretty recently. I guess that's all a part of their diabolical plan to bring JUDANTE! and Seo-Jin down. And they have plenty of time to get together later.

I'm also guessing that the girl who falls down the stairs is Eun-Byeol. She's dying in the same way that Seo-Jin killed her father. Maybe Seo-Jin pushed her down the stairs! Patricide and prolicide (A word I just learned right now.)

Maybe... Season 2 feels a lot like satisfactory revenge. And that could involve leads getting cleared off.

• Like 4