[Drama 2020] When My Love Blooms, 화양연화

0ly40

@angelwingssf, the old man might have followed Ji Soo knowing that she’s involved with Jae Hyun as revealed in media/news. He emerged from behind Ji Soo so it’s highly possible. 

In terms of the chairman, it looks like he’s going to the prosecutor’s office in the preview. Hopefully things continue to roll even if Jae Hyun is currently incapacitated. Jae Hyun already provided whistleblower information to the prosecution so maybe things are starting now.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, angelwingssf said:

It was sad seeing JH getting stabbed,  and I was thinking how did this person know where JH would be.  This would be near JS home.  He does not have the resources to tail JH.  

I haven't watched the episode but my first thought that this could be a "crime of opportunity"--like JS, the old guy probably lives in that poor neighborhood; if he saw JH there, he could have become enraged and grabbed a knife.

Talking about wasting, how many bouquets of roses would they have used for that scene. 

Fair point but flowers will always grow again, and they biodegrade when they die--win/win.  Plastic costs to manufacture, it uses resources, it doesn't go away so easily, and it doesn't do anything good for the environment--lose/lose.  

But I'm just being odd--I kinda get like that at times.  Just for example:  I also got a bee in my bonnet when the white dress JS was wearing got doused with red wine.  I was hollering at my screen, "it's okay, I know how to remove that stain!"  :lol:  If you wanna know.....

Spoiler

I learned this when cleaning at a church.  There were wine stains on the altar cloth and they had been there for a week.  I was sure that it was completely ruined.  One of the old ladies took the cloth to the kitchen, spread the stained part of the cloth over a bowl, and poured boiling water over it while I was having a fit saying "no! hot water sets stains!"  Amazingly, she was absolutely right.  I've never worried about wine or grape juice stains ever again.

Oh and while I'm on the subject.  If you get ball point ink on your clothes, just spritz it with aerosol hair spray.  The marks will fade like magic.  (No, I don't believe that aerosols are a good thing but if you've got ink on your clothes.....)

What will happen now that JH is in the hospital.  The chairman has already gained more support since he has an upper hand with management and shareholders.  

That is worrying indeed.  The two guys he was working with about the stocks in the past two episodes appeared to be losing faith in him as well.  JH needs a serious assist from somebody with a lot of money.  And do you know who has a lot of money?  JS's ex SH.  Hmmmmmmm.....

.....editing to add:

Maybe it's because I'm still in the middle of my "odd moment" (hey, the moon is full right how--let's blame that) but there's something that deeply annoys me:

the guy getting stabbed in the gut trope.

It happens all the time in dramas.  I can't count how many, many, many dramas have included this particular "event"--in Come Here and Hug Me the ML got stabbed in the gut TWICE by different assailants.  Who does that happen to, really?

I understand that there aren't a bunch of hand guns floating around in SK, and a knife makes a quick, easy, silent weapon of choice.  But it's a tough method to use because you've got to be in contact range and most often within eyesight of your target.  Nasty.  You've gotta mean it if you are sticking somebody.

So another thing about SK:  nearly every male in the population has military training.  SK is in a state of war even as we speak so this is vital.  Part of military training is weapons usage.  This, I have no doubt, includes self-defense with a knife. 

With this in mind, how is it that all of the drama stabbings are so inefficient?  I mean, how tough is it to go in under the rib-cage, push up, and pull down with a knife.  As long as the knife is sharp, you're gonna kill.  Slice the kidneys or the liver and it's likely to be game over fast. But in dramas, it's often just a little pinprick that gets a guy out of the hospital in a few days.

I am seriously sick of the gut-stabbing trope.  But not nearly as sick as I am of the separation trope.  Grrrr.

The writer has done a really great job with this drama so far.  But the stabbing is a sloppy last-minute kick.  And if there is a separation that is just lazy.  Don't let me down, writer!  Really.  DON'T.

I honestly was sitting there expecting white truck of doom, they way they showed the distance and slowed things down.  Then once I saw the dude pass by I thought he was actual gonna stab her. Anyhoos her ex better get his comeuppance. Even if our OTP end up together with the boys starting a friendship I shall not be satisfied until he pays the piper. He incited that poor old man. He used that old man twice. By the end of the drama he better be in jail for some dodgy lawyer shenanigans or something as the incitement would be hard to prove but he's the type that'll have skeletons elsewhere.

11 hours ago, thistle said:

So here I was watching the clip of younger JS/JH with all of those individually wrapped roses.....and all I could think about was the unnecessary plastic recycling that would be necessary and the potential environmental damage that could cause.  :huh:

You know what:  I would have loved that scene if the roses hadn't been wrapped.  :P

Not nit-picking.  Just saying.  ;)

I swear I was thinking about exactly the same thing !!!!  :D  

I thought it was so funny that JS and JH in the past had a fight ever since they volunteered and JH started treating JS like a baby. JS didn't give into it! She fulfills her volunteer work! And when JH decided to make up for the fight, he lays out individual roses on the floor leading to him. He made JS work a little bit! JS picked up each and every one of those roses!! hahaha :lol:

In the last scene, in the present times, it was symbolic that the old man (the protestor) got in between the couple before JH can apologize to JS with the banquet of white and red roses. You reap what you sow, right? JH's going back to where he used to be. to what he was, but before going back, he has to pay for what he did, that is sacrificing powerless people. He takes the painful stab literally and figuratively while the old man symbolizes the obstacle between the couple. 

The scene when JS and JH meet up at the walkway. JS addresses the problem between them. 

JS says, "The biggest obstacle between me and you. I still love you and will continue to love you. But I will do things that I believe to be right. And I side with people that no one sides with. Just like we feel love again, I hope you can come back to your old self." 

JS again questions JH's way of doing things because he sacrifices powerless people to get to where he needs to be, chairman of the company. JS again realigns JH to where he needs to be because JH has lost his past self. 

VlgRLkg.jpg

(Side note: To those who think JS and JH separated their ways in that scene. They didn't. They currently disagree on an ideology which they believed and agreed upon in the past. This OTP is truly strong. They're fighting the ups and downs together. That scene was not a separation.)

Because JS has strong beliefs and values and has humanity, she has the courage and motivation to write a petition and gather signatures for her friend, Choi Sun Hee, who was fired for no reason. I love the scene when JS hands SK a COPY of the signed petition.

MMRpNPG.jpg

JS: I'm going to try my best to fight in a fair and just way. 

AND SHE SAYS DON'T WORRY I'M FILING THE ORIGINAL COPY FOR WRONGFUL TERMINATION! THIS IS WHY I LOVE JS!!!! She has that poise, wit and confidence!!! 

In the beginning of this episode, SK questions JH, "Can you handle a girl with such high principles?"

It's not that JH can handle a girl with such high principles. JH already loves JS and moreover, the principles JS believes in are the principles JH once believed in. This hints a happy ending which makes me optimistic and ready for next week's episode. :heart:

As for the power struggle in the company, JH has the upper hand. It's a fight that you have to wait and see and then you will win (paraphrasing from JH). This is why I'm so hopeful for the last episodes! I have faith in this writer! 

1 hour ago, ponderings said:

his hints a happy ending which makes me optimistic and ready for next week's episode. :heart:

As for the power struggle in the company, JH has the upper hand. It's a fight that you have to wait and see and then you will win (paraphrasing from JH). This is why I'm so hopeful for the last episodes! I have faith in this writer! 

I REALLY hope so.  I've been predicting the different endings (unnecessarily) in my mind and some of them are not great.  (Even had JH having amnesia, which is probably not going to happen, of course.) But there are only two episodes left and the bad characters are only NOW discussing intent (Ex-husband, MIL, wife and FIL)  and not even showing hands per-se.  To make matters worse, I bet JH is going to be  unconscious for 1/2 if not 2/3 of the next episode.   I'm not sure how they are going to wrap it all up. An ending without clear closure will be a bit traumatic for me.

22 hours ago, Flaneur2 said:

To make matters worse, I bet JH is going to be  unconscious for 1/2 if not 2/3 of the next episode.   I'm not sure how they are going to wrap it all up. An ending without clear closure will be a bit traumatic for me.

It would be traumatic for me as well.  I went into this drama believing that it could never have a happy ending, and I was okay with that.....but as I've watched I've really started hoping for our leads somehow to win and I'm now Not okay with anything else.  With just two episodes to go and JH probably out-of-it in the hospital, I can't imagine what will happen.

Gosh! Ex-husband has now sunk to the new low. That guy is a trash! Yaaa!!! I want nothing but to see him lose big time! He and SK can marry each other and forever be in misery together! Yaaaa!!!!!!! :vicx: ((8$#$)#$^&&!!!!!

I read somewhere that some viewers disapproval of JH action - saying that even he's the lead, he still commits affair with JS. I'm like, hmmm.... 1. JH-SK is over even before JS came into the picture, JH stayed in the marriage because it didnt make any different for him. 2. Then JS came, JH found another shot of happiness, seek to have a peaceful divorce , so he can move on. He tries to end things with minimal damage to all parties. So yeah, call me bias, up until now, JH is still a decent man. SK on the other hand, a spoiled brat (thanks to the upbringing by her evil dad). Can't blame father entirely, because if you are good person with a good heart, you will not torture people like SK did, not matter much you felt wronged. 

So yeah, SK+ex-hub can rot together! JH can actually start fresh somewhere, lead a simple lfe, maybe open a law firm and collaborate with bestie DJ, there are so many options out there JH, with a talent like yours. Leave the toxic life at Hyung Sung!

Done venting, wheww.. Another 5 days to go!

22 hours ago, Flaneur2 said:

I REALLY hope so.  I've been predicting the different endings (unnecessarily) in my mind and some of them are not great.  (Even had JH having amnesia, which is probably not going to happen, of course.) But there are only two episodes left and the bad characters are only NOW discussing intent (Ex-husband, MIL, wife and FIL)  and not even showing hands per-se.  To make matters worse, I bet JH is going to be  unconscious for 1/2 if not 2/3 of the next episode.   I'm not sure how they are going to wrap it all up. An ending without clear closure will be a bit traumatic for me.

This is when the dramas to come together. The professors in Hospital Playlist must cross over to this drama and save JH asap :lol:

All joking aside...I remain hopeful. The father in law has been on the under hand especially with the attitude and behavior he has. He won’t last long. He’s going down for sure.

Based on the recent episode, I generally thought there was a nice balance among the company issue, OTP time (past and present), JS with her son or friends, JS going against SK, and JH and SK.  Oh and even the lost lovers JS’s ex and SK! Point being is we get a little bit of everything with a nicely knitted storytelling. We are coming into a full circle because the OTP is finally addressing the problem between them: believing in a certain ideology and sticking to it.

The stab was a way to make things dramatic on the second to last week. As JS says in the beginning of this episode, “Is there any other way than a dramatic show?” Let’s face it, we all need that drama. That’s what we are here for! JH being unconscious in the next episode... that’s part of the drama. Hahaha 

but all in all enjoy the journey. 

What I like about JS is that she’s optimistic even when her life seems miserable. 
She gets fired at her piano academy. She dreams of opening a piano academy and teaching kids like that talented girl she encountered. She dreams and so she goes ahead and rents a place to live and open a piano academy. 
SK destroys JS’s life and hurts her. JS baits SK. JS writes a petition. She fights fairly. She does her best. She has her ups and downs and I imagine her being happy with her piano academy along with JH and Young Min. 

11 minutes ago, ponderings said:

This is when the dramas to come together. The professors in Hospital Playlist must cross over to this drama and save JH asap :lol:

Now, THAT, would be so awesome.  And both JH and JS can jam with them.  She on keyboard.  Him on guitar.   Both programs are on TVN.  Surely, someone can make it happen.

30 minutes ago, corey said:

I never understood the need for bad ending  - someone in this forum wrote it is because bad ending makes you more emotionally involved and the characters and the drama stays with you for longer. Well, it definitely does not work for me that way, but hey, I am one of the few people who absolutely hated the ending of FMIYM, despite the allegedly awesome kiss (I am not even intending to watch it, though).

I am right there with you.  I can't stand bad endings.  They make me furious.  And you are Not alone in hating the end of FMIYM:  Once I knew that she was gonna leave him, I quit.  I will Never ever watch the last two episodes.

Yes, WMLB has put the FL through the wringer but, for the most part, she has remained strong.  The only mis-step was when she nearly went back to her ex.  It has been interesting to see that the reason she has grown stronger each step of the way is her love for JH.  

It makes a lot of sense to step away from a drama until you know the ending if you suspect that it's gonna hurt.  I do the same sometimes.  And maybe I should do so more often (like Vagabond, darn it).  I've said before that I got seriously burned last year by at least half a dozen dramas, so I'm wary.  That's why I have tried not to get my hopes up with WMLB.....but I kinda can't help it.  If it ends badly, I'll flip a table and scream at the cat--he's heard a lot of that--poor animal probably has PTSD by now.  :P  But I kinda think I'll still be glad I watched this drama.

Someone suggested this drama to me and I love it.  Although it makes me sad and mad, that the main couple has had so many obstacles in their way from young adults until now. The flash backs are filmed beautifully and tell the story of their epic love and heartbreak.   JS has maintained her integrity throughout.  Although she is tough, she fights fair.  She is just what JH needs to find his way back home.  He has let revenge rule his life for so long, he forgot the ethical and righteous person he was.  JS is there to remind him of who he used to be.  I loved when JS told JH,  (paraphrasing) I still love you; however, I am going to fight for what is right. she made him think and reevaluate why he was seeking revenge.  

The writer should have skipped having JH stabbed.  Enough is enough.   JH telling JS, he has thought about what she said and decided to change his direction would have been beautiful followed by a steamy make-up session; but no, the writer had to put another roadblock, another setback in their way.  Although it is a great drama and actors are doing an excellent job, it is time to give JH and JS a break. Not during the last episode, but now.  It would be nice to have some current beautiful moments.

4 hours ago, Carmarie said:

The writer should have skipped having JH stabbed.  Enough is enough.   

So true.  The stabbing is one step too far.  Worse, the timing!  It is much too late in the drama for such a shocker.

4 hours ago, Carmarie said:

JH telling JS, he has thought about what she said and decided to change his direction would have been beautiful followed by a steamy make-up session

It would have.....except that JH is not yet divorced.  The innocent kisses that we've seen before are one thing but I don't think we'd get much more until he is free from SK. 

Just thinking that it might offend Korean viewers.  It would be one thing to mention a man having an affair but to show a full-on love romance while the lead male is still married to someone else would cross a line that most dramas don't go near.  

In any case, at the end of the day, I really do want to see JH whole and healthy and free from SK and headed home to be with JS.

1 hour ago, thistle said:

t would have.....except that JH is not yet divorced.  The innocent kisses that we've seen before are one thing but I don't think we'd get much more until he is free from SK. 

Just thinking that it might offend Korean viewers.  It would be one thing to mention a man having an affair but to show a full-on love romance while the lead male is still married to someone else would cross a line that most dramas don't go near

I agree with you on this. Which is why I think the stabbing is to make JS more feisty in fighting for their love. SK has the legal right on JH now that he is unconscious and I hope that would push JS to fight back. I am pretty sure JH will wake up soon enough in the next episode. 

20 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I agree with you on this. Which is why I think the stabbing is to make JS more feisty in fighting for their love. SK has the legal right on JH now that he is unconscious and I hope that would push JS to fight back. I am pretty sure JH will wake up soon enough in the next episode. 

Yup she's really gonna have to dig in now. 

I stabbing will make the director think he can quickly resolve everything while JH is incapacitated are try strip him off everything and pin the illegal stuff on him. Wouldn't be surprised I'd he even suggests that it'd be better if he doesn't survive! That'll be SK's final test, how true is your so called love. His perceived victory and callousness is gonna make him careless, and open to one final attack.

8 hours ago, Carmarie said:

The writer should have skipped having JH stabbed.  Enough is enough.   JH telling JS, he

The stabbing was somehow predictable as soon as that old man started protesting in front of the office building. He looks like he was ready to jump off a bridge from the get-go.

But this will only solidify the distrust of Young Min towards his dad. Hopefully the old man will implicate or reveal Se Hun's involvement. I'd suppose he is just nearby to witness this event.  His custody battle just got even harder to win.

More importantly, this will pave the way to reopen and highlight the case of the old man's dead son, which I am sure will thrust JH's dad's death  into the spotlight. Like a piece of  falling domino heading straight towards the Chairman. If the nation hears about JH Dad's case, PR wise, the Chairman is done, and public sentiments will be against him.  And a criminal case could follow.

As for the Jae Hyuns and Ji Su's encounters, there is nothing obscene nor lascivious about any of them. They were hiding their romance in plain sight, so there is nothing to be ashamed of. Most of the time it was a no-touch encounter and quite obvious Jae Hyun's is on a leash. How can a man not grab his "first love" in his arms when he can. His sense of self-restraint is mind boggling.

I find it so romantic when they meet or walk aimlessly to nowhere, chatting, smiling, sharing laughter like the old days.  But notice the gap between them, as they walk. They were much closer almost touching side by side, when they were younger.  Perhaps, in deference to moral norms, this very gentle, cheery and confident loving man is always respectful and  protective of his true love even in the public eye.  So chivalrous like a knight in shining armor.

Always brimming with love, joy, peace and confidence, there moments together, or when they are alone pondering/thinking about each other is so endearing, heartfelt and priceless.

8 hours ago, Kitty_Litter said:

Most of the time it was a no-touch encounter and quite obvious Jae Hyun's is on a leash.

But a clip of them kissing has been released on the internet... I don’t know how the writer is going to resolve that, but I am fine with whatever ending writer has in mind as long as it makes sense to me. The ideal for me will of course be for them to be together again. The title of the drama sounds hopeful though ;) 

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

The title of the drama sounds hopeful though ;) 

Same here. And remember this scene? 

DywmRwO.jpg

Jisoo from the past writes:

JybPpLi.jpg

Jae Hyun and Ji Soo

our love will last a million years

anaNLKO.jpg

JH in the present writes

Spoiler

oyiJ62p.jpg

for a million years...

our love shall bloom

The Jae-Hyeon stabbing - while obviously terrible - will be the event that brings everything out in the open. That he was not responsible for the worker's death - even the prosecutor acknowledged that. And the case gave Jae-Hyeon the opportunity to hand over evidence to the prosecutors that the Chairman was the one responsible.

Let's hope Ji-Soo's 25 years of noble idiocy ensures that we don't get any more separations. And let's just hope he gets one of those miracle K-drama injuries where the knife missed all of his vital organs or something.

The Korean title of the show: 화양연화 means "the most beautiful and happiest time of your life." It also happens to be the title of Wong Kar-Wai's movie "In the Mood for Love" - and since one of Jae-Hyeon's favorite movies is "Days of Being Wild," it's definitely a reference to that movie. (However, I hope this drama does not end like that movie does!)

Archived