[Drama 2020] The World of Husband and Wife/The World of the Married, 부부의 세계

larus

@jongski

Aww~ nice to see ya too.

And I'm glad to entertain ya ha-ha! It's my way of coping with this isolation lockdown. Though I feel like some of us are watchin' a different drama altogether. It's fine as everyone's different or is it 'cause the actor who plays Joon Young is cute & young LoL!?

It's pretty obvious Tae Oh is doin' a smear campaign to make Sun Woo appear to be an incompetent single parent. He keeps pointing out how unsafe her home is & how it's unhealthy for their son to keep living there. He's got all the red flags of abusive behavior. He's already gaslighted Sun Woo's mental health - very low blow btw. 

And surprisingly the 2 people who are steadfast by Sun Woo's side aren't even blood related. They're Hyun Seo & the psychiatrist. Heck even that snake co-worker Myung Sook isn't supportive, let alone her own son LoL.       

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Another piece of work is that gynecologist who acts like Sun-Woo's friend. There are people like that in the world, they relish and enjoy the drama of other people's lives. They love butting in and giving "advice." They love it when things fall apart for other people, so they can act "concerned." This is a such a razor-sharp accurate portrayal of such despicable people. All that to say, YES, SHE SUCKS.

@chickfactorWe all agree.

And that foolis friie doctor colleague! Man, I want to poke her eyes! Worst kind.

55 minutes ago, bananacad said:

This drama is so fascinating, I'd like to share some of my thoughts too. And that's on Jae Hyuk character. I know he is written as an irresponsible husband who cheats on his wife consistently, but I have a feeling he does that because he actually truly loves SW, and can't see her suffer. 

Whenever he knows SW is being mistreated or undeserved, it seems like he's also suffering and goes back to his old ways. I'd be curious to know how he got to know SW, perhaps he had a crush on her first but TO asked her out before him?

But he was a very important character in helping SW divorce her husband, although it did come with a price... Would he have helped her if she didn't sleep with him? We wouldn't know... SW was basically throwing herself on him too to spite TO too...

@bananacad I'm glad I'm not the only one with same thoughts. I'm thinking  he's in love with SW but she chose TO. Yeah sleeping. Just to have the information needed for the divorce. It's steamy though.. certainly more than that of SW and TO.

6 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

This drama is telling the whole world that TO cheated his wife, and everyone knows that OT is in the wrong by cheating his wife not just emotionally, but also financial fraud. When there is an extramarital affair happens, is there any underlying problem between the couple that hidden long ago? Are they aware? Probably the couple are not aware, especially the wife since she is so busy in her work.

@lebeaucouple you're right.  There was also that financial fraud. Maybe there's been cracks already in the marriage but because of the busy nature of the job -in her case, and with him-- trying to get financial backing for films, maybe it added to the strain of the marriage long before? SW is earning more.. she's got a career,  got a position in the hospital.

There was brief flashback (forgot which episode) when SW was young and saw car crash and blood. She lost her parents I think and that people pity her. And now with what happening that she doesn't want to people to pity her again.

7 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

Generally, when a man feels that he is not "needed" or "lack of capability" in terms of financially in the family (because the wife is so capable), he will only share all his work troubles with others (eg drink with his friends), and not to mention during the dining table and thus the mistress can come in between the couple

That mistress must have prodded him even more. Made him even less capable if he stays with SW.

Episode 4 - During the conversation SW heard between DK and HS - DK was telling her that TO said he can't stand SW. When HS ask what kind OF woman SW is,  DK described  her as extremely arrogant and  belittes people. That TOI must hate living with SW.   DK further said TO doesn't feel sexually attracted to SW, only sleeps with her once in a while  because he needs to. DK even said it's because SW is old, that TO has been planning to divorce SW,   but SW is too brazen  enough to stay married even if she finds out about the husband's affair. 

DK character. I can't stand her!! She's one who's right and entitled. Like she was the one who was aggravated, like she was the one hurting and  crying. I  want to poke her eyes. Like stop! :rolleyes:

SW heard the convo all the whle ironing clothes whilst TO was on the couch drinking wine as if it's the natural thing to do.

TO, DK and that snake colleague doctor.. the worst. Do you think TO ever loved SW sincerely or at the beginning?

And like I said I hope I don't hate JY too. But him going with TO. I felt bad for her. But in real life,  no matter how bad the father is should never put down a father or say anything bad esp to the children.

Thank you chingus. Loving the drama and  thread and discussion.:thumbsup:

14 hours ago, jongski said:

I didn't realize Kdrama verstion. Is the oriignal a US or British drama?.  I got curious.  Yes that colleague snake! Wonder why she did it. Because she can get a better position? or She's been friends with TO prior? I hope that colleague gets demoted.

It is a good remake of British drama Dr Foster. The original drama had 2 seasons of 5 episodes and they did not film the third season. I don`t know why. JTBC will air Dr Foster after The World of the Married.  About the plot, Korean version was very similar with the first season but now they are building more stories around second season. I like that. I am curious how they will finish the story.

About the ending...

Spoiler

It is not hard to predict that in a war of a couple, both parties are losing even when one of them is winning the war, and the most affected are the children.

14 hours ago, jongski said:

Imagine your husband cheating with younger woman,, getting that mistress pregnant. Even feeling smug about it, not the least bit  uncomfortable,.. not remorse for cheating or going psycho on her.  TO wanted to get back at her. Because what? She's more of success? She has all the  money? TO has the grind harder (pun)  for career and work and fund for filming. Heck  if it weren't for SW he'd be totally ignored by DK father (ep 1). TO is a pyscho, insecure cheater. Boy I want to see him the gutter.

Yes, Tae Oh is an insecure man. He has a big ego too.

Sun Woo is the alpha female. She is a little controlling. That`s why Tae Ok`s mother said to her that she don`t let her son to breath. But the way she told her and blaming her for this trait of her personality and condoning her son`s behavior was distasteful. Maybe she is not perfect but Sun Woo did nothing wrong to deserve such betrayal. She is a beautiful, succesful woman and she was the head of the family. She worked hard to maintain a certain status and he has benefited fully from this status. He used her money to his projects and he did not complain about that. It is nothing wrong for a man to stay more at home and take care of the child instead of the wife. That doesn`t mean that he is not a strong man or a confident man. But Tae Oh is not like that. Inside, he resents his wife for her succes. He doesn`t feel that he is "enough" man and seek to prove his worth elsewhere. To be in a relationship with a young woman, half his age,  gave him the "power" to be in control, he felt like a man. Tae Oh clamed that she loved both? No, it was all about himself like how he is demonstrating now. Sure, it was not easy to support the humiliation and to know that his wife "framed" him to win against him but if he felt a little remorse for what he did to the family, if he put himself in her shoes just for a moment, he would have let it go and move on to live a new life with his new family. But what he is doing now? He came back and wants to show his exwife who is "the boss'.

Tae Oh is playing the role of "happy head of the new family" and secretly, plotting to destroy his ex wife. He still seeks validation of his worth and show Sun Woo what he is capable. Tae Oh is still pathetic. When he was in front of his father in law because he was using the company founds without his knowleage, he was like a little lamb. Tae Oh did not succeed on his own. He was just lucky and he had financial backup of Yeo Byeong-Kyu. Now he is using the money to get away Sun woo from the hospital and from the town? What a little man he is.

13 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

And that doctor friend? I don't know why Sun woo is keeping any relation with fake friend who has backstabbed her time to time. It's better to close every relation on personal level. to me , she always looked jealous of Sun Woo's personal life as well as career. No wonder she is always ready to back stab her.

I dislike that woman the most but I am glad that Sun woo did not confide in her anymore. She is not her friend but a simple colleague. Sun woo is civil with her, thye sill work in the same hospital but as we saw, Sun woo doesn`t consider her a friend.

11 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

I agree with you about the 'fear' factor. I don't consider JY selfish or a spoil brat it's his fear of losing that familiarity and being removed from his comfort zone. He love his dad because they spent lots of time together while SW was working but it doesn't mean he loves her less. He knows his mom has been working hard to give him security and a comfortable life. When he saw his dad cheating he just threw away that video in hopes that his mom wouldn't find out and they all would continue to live like they use to.

I admit that Joon-Young annoys me sometimes but I have to remember that he is just a boy. He loves both his parents and the divorce affected him the most. He was willing to ignore about his father afair and he wants his parents back together but that is not possible. He is immature and selfish and being teenagee, he rebels as well. He spent more with his father, they have more common interests (being father and son). He is feeling insecure (is jelous of his father new child), doesn`t like to see his mom with another man, he is stealing from classmates, easily lose temper in front of the friends. It is visible that he was affected by the war between his parents. He already needs help and phychological support. Instead, their parents are in an open war. No matter who will win, there will be coleteral victims. I hope both Sun Woo and Tae Oh will realise that until it won`t be too late. 

13 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

I am no fan of Ye rim But loved how she b(i)tch slapped the mistress and her fake act. And i liked the most powerful women in gathering agreed with her.

I can`t stand Myung-Sook but I am Ok with Ye Rim. It was not OK to not tell Sun Oh about Tae Oh`s mistress, and tolerate Tae Oh`s extramarital affair but Sun Woo slept with her husband so they are even now. Both hurt each other.

Ye Rim knew that her husband likes Sun Ok. Maybe she felt jelousy and was upset about that.  Maybe she told herself that it is better that Sun woo doesn`t know about her husband`s affair and her marriage is still good than to have marrital problems. Passive aggressive behaviour?

Je hyuk is equally jerk as Tae Oh is. He is faking in front of his wife that he is trying to be a good husband and seeking pleasure being with other women. I feel sorry for Ye rim because she is a middle age woman who doesn`t have a job, she doesn`t have a child and she needs her father`s help if she will get divorce from Je Hyuk. The society is looking down on divorce woman even if they are not at fault here.

Ye Rim`s life is so empty. She is a good housewife, she takes care of her husband and is hoping that he is a change man. She has to regain the control in her life, to not depend on his husband or her status.

2 hours ago, bananacad said:

This drama is so fascinating, I'd like to share some of my thoughts too. And that's on Jae Hyuk character. I know he is written as an irresponsible husband who cheats on his wife consistently, but I have a feeling he does that because he actually truly loves SW, and can't see her suffer. 

I also thought that he loved Sun woo and that`s why he was upset with Tae Oh that he will hurt her. But we found out more about the man. He is made/kneaded from the same dough. I found Jae Hyuk`s behavious nauseating just like Tae Oh`s. He has zero chances to be together, a real partner with Sun woo. She doesn`t need or want a man like him in her life. Not even Ye rim deserves this kind of man beside her. Pathetic men.

@jongski Thanks for your comment, my dear chingu. :wub:

While many discussed about the husband, mistress and the child, I would like to share about my thought on the wife, SW , how she could win back the marriage if she wanted to at the beginning, provided under one condition that she still loves her husband deeply. 

Upon discovery on extramarital affairs on the first EP, she went thru the emotional tension and mental strain, she should do the following (in realistic) :

1. Look for true good friend surrounding her to consult or seek for genuine advice from marriage counselor (unfortunately there wasn't any shown in this drama)

2. She can engage a proper private investigator (PI) instead of making use of her own patient to tail her husband. (a big mistake)

3. Hold her breathe, she can patiently "bide her time before making any move, don't act rashly, observe the enemy (husband & mistress) movement closely".

4. Embrace the adversity and don't be defeated by fear of failure....which need to exercise her mind (the most difficult part)

There won't be the drama if all these rational steps appeared, LOL.:D

In this drama, there was an instance that the mistress called off the relationship with TO on earlier EP. However, the wife wasn't aware, she wasn't patient enough to wait a bit longer and yet she exposed all the secrets during the dining table.

The mental strategy can only work on the few points :

• Spouse tolerance level (if not patient enough, you will lose out)
  • Capable of accepting delay time (husband is always indecisive, we seen many cases like that)
  • Understand and identify the spouse (husband's weaknesses and his fear factors)
  • Understand and identify the spouse (husband's capabilities)
  • To the extreme, make friend with the mistress and her parents (subject to individuals traits)

This strategy will only apply if the wife (SW) is willing to sacrifice and change her character and behaviour. It may be difficult for her because of her traits. Vice versa, the same case study applies to the husband if he wants to adopt the same strategy when he discovers that his wife is a cheater/betrayal (she found another man).  It will not work if the couple is no longer in love...

To answer your question - Do you think TO ever loved SW sincerely or at the beginning? My answer is YES...every couple goes into the normal cycle, falling in love and getting married, the only underlying and accumulated problems surfaced out are more likely come after the marriage, which I already highlighted on earlier post. 

@Sejabin Yes. That's true. The strategy does not fit all especially of the difference in individual character. Whatever a person decides to change, she/he must ask her/himself honestly (listen to the heart) whether it is a worth to change, whether there is still a love between them, whether there are children involved, whether there is a future if they work hand in hand together to solve any problem...Change is the only constant in life, if we can't change anyone, we have to accept to change ourselves become a better person. Sometime a failed marriage will make us become a better person to be more caring and more understanding person. It helps us developed into a more responsible person. I will not use TO as an exemple, because he is a drama role in an extreme case. :D

PS : I agreed with you that it is very unfair for divorced women in this current context especially in Asia countries. But I always encourage women what they should do after the failed marriage, upgrade their skills and improve their self-confident level. Embrace the adversity and don't be defeated by fear of failure. Ultimately, women need to be a strong headed person whether they are in marriage or a divorcee. :)

2 hours ago, larus said:

Yes, Tae Oh is an insecure man. He has a big ego too.

Sun Woo is the alpha female. She is a little controlling. That`s why Tae Ok`s mother said to her that she don`t let her son to breath. But the way she told her and blaming her for this trait of her personality and condoning her son`s behavior was distasteful.

@larus Agree with you. Thanks for the explanation about the mother. SW maybe doesn't have good relationship with the in law?

2 hours ago, larus said:

Maybe she is not perfect but Sun Woo did nothing wrong to deserve such betrayal. She is a beautiful, succesful woman and she was the head of the family. She worked hard to maintain a certain status and he has benefited fully from this status.

TO is a jerk who cannot find that success and had to rely to  his wife.. even defrauding her with the finances. When he proposed to her, she already workng for the hopsital. If I'm not mistaken. From the onset looks like she's always the one with who worked hard.  Like He was riding on whatever success she has.

SW may have been blinded by love. She doesn't have anybody and here is  man paying attention proposing to her. And that man tutned out to be cheater. Insecure.

2 hours ago, larus said:

He used her money to his projects and he did not complain about that. It is nothing wrong for a man to stay more at home and take care of the child instead of the wife. That doesn`t mean that he is not a strong man or a confident man. But Tae Oh is not like that. Inside, he resents his wife for her succes. He doesn`t feel that he is "enough" man and seek to prove his worth elsewhere. To be in a relationship with a young woman, half his age,  gave him the "power" to be in control, he felt like a man.

That's the word. resent. He uses his wife's money, doesn't even want her with him during during event like the art exhibition.

When DK desrcibed what type of woman SW was  she said   SW belittles people and is arrogant. I'm thinking this is how TO talked about his wife to DK. That insecure jerk!

2 hours ago, larus said:

Sure, it was not easy to support the humiliation and to know that his wife "framed" him to win against him but if he felt a little remorse for what he did to the family, if he put himself in her shoes just for a moment, he would have let it go and move on to live a new life with his new family. But what he is doing now? He came back and wants to show his exwife who is "the boss'.

Tae Oh is playing the role of "happy head of the new family" and secretly, plotting to destroy his ex wife. He still seeks validation of his worth and show Sun Woo what he is capable. Tae Oh is still pathetic. When he was in front of his father in law because he was using the company founds without his knowleage, he was like a little lamb. Tae Oh did not succeed on his own. He was just lucky and he had financial backup of Yeo Byeong-Kyu. Now he is using the money to get away Sun woo from the hospital and from the town? What a little man he is.

You nailed it! TO wanting that validation, seeking that he's the boss, that he can survive. Of course he's also using father in law as much as he can. SW  was right when she told DK,  she might be on the same receiving end  just like happend to her.

SW will have the laugh. Ha. I can't wait!

I know I watch all 8 episodes but I am confused, is Yerim...sister to SW or they're just friends that live across each other?

12 hours ago, Sejabin said:

I am more believe in tolerances between each other.

in this drama, if Tae Oh can tolerate of his wife being more successful than him, than he will not feel like he couldn’t breathe with SW. if SW can tolerate her husband, she will not go sleep with her neighbor. 

Well perhaps this is because we are mostly staying at home now, so my brain working more complicated. Lol. 

Please enlighten my dark soul wkwkwkwk :mrgreen:

@Sejabin  you are cute, i like you. One of the key points is tolerance. I would elaborate more as follows. :D

Yes we all forced to stay at home now, so we have more time to communicate and at the same time, take the opportunity to have online self-learning.

There is true love in this world, only that the % is not high, look at the old folks couple holding hands together when they grow old...it does exist.

How to last long? how to treasure it? All these back to basic principles, I would use 5C: Compromise, Compliment, Communicate, Commitment and Consideration. (it's very theoretical knowledge but practical) Don't neglect any of the C, all these are contributing factors to a healthy relationship. It is always easier said than done how many of them can succeed in their marriage, it takes both hands to work together and that's why some countries or churches practise to have new couple meeting in the pre-marriage stage. The practice is meant for interviewing and preparing an engaged couple for marriage. Sometimes, it takes courageous steps to enter or save our marriage. It is our long term on-going lesson to learn and practise it.

This drama may impact to all the married couples and singles to a certain degree...don't get influence by the negative element, instead, view it on a different dimension and treat it as a learning lesson for all of us in our learning journey.

Hope there is no more dark soul in you, but a lively and positive one now :heart:

3 hours ago, jongski said:

I know I watch all 8 episodes but I am confused, is Yerim...sister to SW or they're just friends that live across each other?

They are ex-besties (if you can call them that) that are neighbours... don't think they have any blood relations...

5 hours ago, Sejabin said:

To be honest, Love is a difficult subject which I sometimes feel, it is impossible to happened in this world. 

We can said we love each other but in any marriage, we cursed each other sometimes. We said we love each other, but other part sleep with other woman/man. In this situation can love still possible?

I am more believe in tolerances between each other.

in this drama, if Tae Oh can tolerate of his wife being more successful than him, than he will not feel like he couldn’t breathe with SW. if SW can tolerate her husband, she will not go sleep with her neighbor. 

Well perhaps this is because we are mostly staying at home now, so my brain working more complicated. Lol. 

Please enlighten my dark soul wkwkwkwk :mrgreen:

SW sleeps with neighbor guy because She needs TO's finance  information and let TO taste " betraying sleeping "

39 minutes ago, tulip934 said:

SW sleeps with neighbor guy because She needs TO's finance  information and let TO taste " betraying sleeping "

https://dramafast.com/drama/love-in-sadness/

This drama is good too

My Goodness, why would Tae Oh do what he did........the bedroom, why would you design it exactly the same way your ex wife designed it.......that was just Ewwww......does Da Kyung realize that her husband is forcing his ex wife's style on her.........I mean Sun Woo is no saint but Tae Oh is creepy on a whole different level....what is that about?? He doesn't hate her........he loves her in a very twisted and psychotic way...and can somebody Kimchee slap Myung Soo......what's her deal........why does she always poke her nose in between San Woo and Tae Oh...I am glad San Woo has a better idea about the situation now......she can fight back now

Lists of Most Buzz Worthy Dramas & Actors [3rd Week of April, 2020]

Good Data Corporation has shared its weekly rankings of the most popular dramas and cast members who have generated the most buzz over the past week! The company analyzed news articles, blog posts and online communities, videos, and social media from April 13 to 19 for dramas that are currently airing or are set to air, and they revealed the results on April 20.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz for the 3rd week of April

1. JTBC “The World of the Married” - 31.74% (0)

2. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - 22.57% (NEW)

3. tvN “Hospital Playlist” - 11.16% (-1)

4. tvN “Hi Bye, Mama!” - 10.49% (-1)

5. MBC “Find Me in Your Memory” - 2.91% (0)

6. MBC “365: One Year Against Destiny” - 2.88% (+2)

7. JTBC “When the Weather is Fine“ - 2.35% (0)

8. KBS2 “Once Again” - 1.86% (+2)

9. tvN  “Piece of Your Mind” - 1.83% (-3)

10. KBS2 “Welcome” - 1.36% (+6)

The top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz for the 3rd week of April

1. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Kim Hee-ae (0)

2. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - Lee Min-ho (NEW)

3. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Park Hae-joon (-1)

4. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Han So-hee (-1)

5. tvN “Hi Bye, Mama!” - Kim Tae-hee (-1)

6. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - Kim Go-eun (NEW)

7. tvN “Hospital Playlist” - Jo Jung-suk (0)

8. tvN “Hi Bye, Mama!” - Lee Kyu-hyung (-3)

9. tvN “Hospital Playlist” - Jeon Mi-do (+3)

10. tvN “Hi Bye, Mama!” - Go Bo-gyul (0)

Source: https://instagram.com/gooddata_official

16 hours ago, jongski said:

SW maybe doesn't have good relationship with the in law?

We did not see the relationship but we can imagine how it was. Sun Woo`s parents die in a car accident when she was a teenager. Her parents had marrital problems and it was a suspisious (included Sun woo suspected that her mother was suicidal or they fought that day) and that`s why they had the accident (she was driving).

Now back to Tae Oh. His father abandoned Tae Oh and his mother when he was a child. Maybe he was abusive too but we know for sure that he was a cheater. Tae Oh`s mother suffered because of that, and raised her son alone. Tae oh`s mother suffered in sillence and accepted her faith. She pitty her son that he had to grow up without a father and takes his side always.

I think Sun Woo had a good relationship with her mother in law or at least, a normal relationship. Maybe she helped raised Joon Young when he was a baby. But she had a stoke/became ill. For ten years Sun Woo paid everything for her her surgeries, medical bills, hospital care. When Sun woo told her mother in law that Tae Oh cheated, I am sure she knew how it was to be in her shoes (she had been there) but she still took her son`s side because "poor son", she suffered so much without a father in his life. Sun Woo`s mother in law find a justification in cheating implying that Sun woo was too controlling. I think Sun Woo became more angry when her mother in law mentioned that if Joon Young will cheat too Sun Woo will take her son`s side too. 

This drama talks about cheating and unhealty or abusive relationships.

Sun Woo`s mother in law lived in a society that perpetuates the idea that those in an unhealty relationship must stay together, to forgive and forget and making those who leave a marriage to be in a wrong for leaving their partner. How they are in a wrong when they will be hurt for their partner?

Tae Oh`s secretary/ assistant director was a divorced woman (she was not the one who caused the separation) but often people will assume bad things about her or she will be avoid socially. 

Chairman Choi's wife did not divorced her husband because she likes her status more. She received a building fas apology and I am sure she will receive more because her husband will not stop cheating. But she and her husband  agreed with such lifestyle.

Ye-Rim is the perfect housewife but she is unhappy in her marriage, always worried about her husband`s extramarital affairs, thinks that a child will fulfill her life. It seems that her father is rich but without his help (he might not agree that she will be a divorcee) Ye rim is in a dficult position. She doesn`t have a job and she lives with her husband`s resources so after divorce she will struggle more.

For Min Hyun-Seo is was a physical and mental abusive relationship. She loved him and maybe hoped he will change because he has good parts too. Leaving the abusive boyfirend can be life-threatening. Without Sun woo`s helped she could have been dead right now. Even if she left him, he was not letting her go.

17 hours ago, jongski said:

Ye rim and Je-Hyuk are Sun woo`s neighbours and over time they became friends. They met, celebrated birthdays topgether.  Tae Oh was Je Hyuk`s client too. Sun woo came from another city/ town. She doesn`t have childhood friends in the new town, instead Tae Oh was raised there. It was painfully for Sun woo when her husband cheated because she not only lose a husband but her friends too, included her colleague. Her friends (so called friends) did not say anything to her about Tae Oh`s betrayal. Maybe Ye rim have some regreats and we see that she still cares about Sun Woo but they both know things will never be the same. Plus, Sun woo slept with her husband. Things are complicated between them but they still could find a middle ground and support each other. I am glad that the Chairman Choi`s wife is on Sun woo`s side too.

@larus

Thanks for sharing the breakdown views of each woman's married life in this drama...the drama did not paint a very good picture of marriage life but it is indeed very realistic in the current context.

BTW, does anyone know about this old man doctor called Ma Gang-Seok. I only knew he is a doctor from the Family Love Hospital based on the actor list. He was the one who pulled back SW from the accident that almost hit by the car at the traffic road. During their conversation, it seemed that he knew a lot of SW past story, what is his role and position?

Do you think he can help SW when she is in danger or meet crisis, or assists in the voting rights in committee for the next VP selection?

6 hours ago, imCHRIS1398 said:

his girl was something else. imagine blaming the woman who got cheated on..

I am not that surprised by that comment. It is alright to no like Sun woo and Tae Ho or other characters and cheer only for the good morally right characters. The colleague doctor, the handsome psychiatrist was not really involved in the story so far. But even he made some mistakes. Sun Woo was rightfully upset that her minor son was seeing a psychiatrist without her knowledge.

but to ignore what Tae Woo did and blame it mostly on Sun woo... I don`t understand. Just like I don`t understand when I saw commnets of women defending a rapist and blaming the victim.

We did not say that Sun woo did the morally right thing but, at least, we understand or try to undertsand why she was so desperate.  That comment caught my attention: "He did not even wanted to divorce her. He loved his son." So this girl/woman understands the cheating husband but not the wife. Yeah, Tae Oh loves his son, Sun woo loves her son, like any other parent but if he loved his son, he never thought what he will cause to his family when he desided to cheat? It was not a single one night stand mistake, it was a two years extramarital relationship. He was the one who destroyed, aparently, a good family life. Forget his wife`s feelings, forget his son`s need of stability and moral exemple, he needed to have another woman to feel like a "man".  Where was his love and respect for both wife and son?

She said that she hates both Tae Oh and Sun woo but rages against her the most. Why she dared to do such things? Of course, both parents are causing their son pain. This war between them is bad and it will have consequenses and colleteral victims. Maybe one moral of the story is to be considerate of others, be respectful of your partner, to be careful because one bad decision could have devastating consequences.  

"She was a victim, she is not longer a victim." Oh yeah... that`s the part of the drama that I like. That`s why I am watching. She is not the type of woman to sacrifice her dignity because that`s how society and others expect her to do. I am not a person to think a cheater must burn to hell no matter what. But Tae Oh is a man who did not feel remorse not even once. She is not a saint to turn the other cheek. Just like Chairman`s wife said, Sun woo is not the type to lay down and accept the unfair fate. I cheer her for that even if I know that involving further in revenge will cause more damage, even in herself. I just hope that she and Tae Oh will stop in time and then she can heal her wounds and move on. She is a strong woman and she can do it. They both should stop the freud and concentrate on what is best for their son and for themselves. The drama shows what are the consequesces when there is a war between two partners who loved each other one day. No one will win.

3 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

BTW, does anyone know about this old man doctor called Ma Gang-Seok. I only knew he is a doctor from the Family Love Hospital based on the actor list. He was the one who pulled back SW from the accident that almost hit by the car at the traffic road. During their conversation, it seemed that he knew a lot of SW past story, what is his role and position?

We don`t know about the character more than it was already shown in the drama.  If you want to know about the actor`s name, his name is  Park Choong-Sun. I saw him as a supporting character in other dramas. Curently in OCN drama Rugal, playing a doctor again.  :D

I hope he will appear again on screen. It is an interesting character and hopefully we can learn more about him.

Finally caught up with the episodes and man it's been a very depressing & traumatic ride. Initially I was rooting for the wife to send them all to hell until she lost her marbles and slept with the neighbor lol. And just when she thought she was leading a peaceful life, the cheater hubby returns being super successful. Karma was definitely on vacation smh

Best thing about this drama is it keeps you on your toes. Plot twists are quite interesting, acting is superb especially by the lead actress and everyone's a devil inside. The cheater husband is bound to cheat on his second wife also and I'd love to see the two women ganging up against him lol. Let's see how things flow... 

2 hours ago, larus said:

This drama talks about cheating and unhealty or abusive relationships.

I see now. Yes every character here is in unhealthy relationship. Sun Woo, Tae Oh, Yerim, Jeh Hyuk, Hyun Seo.

2 hours ago, larus said:

Now back to Tae Oh. His father abandoned Tae Oh and his mother when he was a child. Maybe he was abusive too but we know for sure that he was a cheater. Tae Oh`s mother suffered because of that, and raised her son alone. Tae oh`s mother suffered in sillence and accepted her faith. She pitty her son that he had to grow up without a father and takes his side always.

I cannot find any redeeming qualities for  TO.  No matter what happened to him in the past. In most cases, the person becomes who they are due to what they have experienced when they were growing up.

@lebeaucouple  I get that feeling to with Ma Gang Seok.  The alcoholic doctor. SW defended him when the cops came to hospital. But then as associate director and knowing she wants to remove/suspend him because of his alcoholism.  He must have helped her when she was young and starting. I hope he will help her too. She needs someone on her side. as  jerk snake, friend, TO and father in law who gives donation to hospital is trying to remove SW ( because of  using  HS and giving the pills).

Hi everyone! I just signed up to Soompi so I could discuss with you guys! It has been a loooong time since I got so into a drama I feel the need to make theories, observations and share views with others!

Anyhow, I read a lot of theories here about Tae Oh/Sun Woo/Da Kyung's personalities and relationships, so here's my take. I put in spoilers because it's a long essay!

Spoiler

I believe that Tae-Oh never intended to divorce Sun Woo. I rewatched some parts of the earlier episodes and he's always saying that he'll end things with Da Kyung, that he will never abandon his family, that he loves both SW and DK etc. It's very obvious that he would never have left SW, for several reasons:

1) His father left his mother and most likely don't want to repeat this pattern again, especially since he (mostly) cares about his son as well as SW

2) He loves SW and DK "differently" as he said himself. Though he didn't specify what he meant by that, my guess is he truly loves SW and she's his ideal woman - after all, she's the one he chased and did everything to 'lock down' unlike for DK where she's the one who did everything to lock him down (we don't know who chased who initially in that couple so I'm not going to say anything on that). He also said that he's the 'creative' one and implied she's the 'brainy' one, so they have this kind of dynamic. He definitely cheated (like many pointed out here) because he felt 'emasculated' by SW, since she's super successful (an award-winning associate director at the city's hospital) while he's unsuccessful as of late (he was likely kind of successful at first, since he has a director award, but then his career took a slump). It's likely that when his career dipped, he started cheating to compensate from his loss of 'breadwinner' and 'master of the house' status. So he could feel like a 'man' again with someone like DK who's young, impressionable and has a less impressive job (compared to SW) as a yoga instructor. He wanted to have someone who validates him and looks up to him so he had DK on the side to give him this while he stayed with the 'woman of his life' SW on front. DK's father also probably played a part since he can further his career.

I think he loves DK for the wrong reasons: because she's young and makes him feel young, she sees him as an idealized version of him and NOT as he truly is (unlike SW who knows exactly who he is), plays the 'submissive' housewife and let him be the 'provider'. He's always playing a role with her, pretending to be this creative genius who met the wrong woman (SW) who held him back from having a glorious career while she is the one who gets him and is supportive of him. It's very obvious starting from episode 7 when his facial expression drastically changes the minute DK is not looking at him/around him (his smile fades when he hugs her, he has a gloomy and empty expression when he thinks she's not looking).

For SW, like I said, she's likely his ideal woman and he never wanted to let go of her. If you remember well, he never ever said once he was going to leave her (except to DK). Whenever Myungsook asked him, he never said he would leave her for DK, always he would leave DK. If he truly loved DK and preferred her over SW, he would have divorced SW a long time ago. Instead, he dragged his feet and found excuses after excuses not to leave SW even after DK told him she was pregnant. And that's probably why he's become like this since the divorce. He has developped hatred for SW because she divorced him (when he was against it - he even tore apart the divorce papers), slept with his best friend as revenge, spoiled his exit plans (he likely wanted to dump DK after he got the investment from her dad), baited him into beating her so she would get the custody of Joonyoung and all the money and basically threw him out the streets so he was 'forced' into marrying DK and submit himself to her dad. That's why he wants his revenge now and is going through lengths for it.

But that's also why he developed a love-hate obsession for SW because despite everything that went down, SW is still the woman of his life. That's probably why he's trying to model DK after her by having her wear the same lingerie set as her. He's also going through this revenge plan to bait her into engaging with him (notice how he's literally using JY to bait her and it works every single time because that's her hot button). He lured JY into his party with the baseball star and then sent a picture to SW just to get her to show up. He's also trying to get her fired so she would seek him out. Same with the harassment. Even though, on paper, he's doing everything to drive her away, he knows that SW is not the type to go down without a fight so he's engaging in this vendetta just to have interactions with her - otherwise she would just ignore him. Not only he isn't over her but he never wanted to leave her life - that's why he's inserting himself everywhere, paid a PI to track her and send him daily pictures of her and went as far as trespassing into her house when no one was around. This is his only way to stay in SW's life. 

He also still considers SW his 'woman' even though she divorced him. That's why the first thing he asks when he sees her again after 2 years is whether she has a boyfriend or not (she ignores his question), has a sour expression when he sees that pic of her dining with the psychiatrist, looks mad when he sees the psychiatrist in her house after she got assaulted and then comment on it when they're arguing in his office by saying she's not a good mother because she 'drinks and invites strange men into her house'. It goes further in the previews when he (likely) disrupts SW and the psychiatrist's date and blows up at her for 'leaving JY alone at home' (when JY is 12/13 lol) - it's clearly an excuse, he's just mad she's moving on.

On Da Kyung, I think she's a very insecure person who became this way because of her family. Her mother is an ex-Miss Korea who's obsessed with having her husband's love and being the Queen Bee of Gosan (she said in the first episode that she changed her style to please her husband and she wanted to be friends with SW because she's an esteemed doctor). Her father seems to be uninvolved in her life though he does love her. She doesn't seem to lead a meaningful life or have true friends by her side (or else why would she hang out with 40 something housewives?). She probably got into this affair with TO because of her low self esteem (or else why wouldn't she prefer someone her age who's single?), love for TO and what he represents (a previously successful movie director who's handsome and fit even at 40+ years old) and wish to have a fulfilling life. She got the thrills from being a mistress, duping and 'stealing' him from his wife (who's a uber successful doctor). Compared to SW, the only thing she has going on is her youth and rich family (while SW is a 40+ years old orphan...) and she knows it since that's the only thing she criticizes SW for. It's clear that even after marrying TO, she still has an inferiority complex (fostered by her mother) and deep insecurities. Or else, why would she be easily swayed by SW's words (when she says that she might end up like her) or why would she plant a spy in her husband's company to keep track of him?

DK's attitude towards TO is the same as her mother towards her father. She does everything to please him - wear the lingerie and perfume he wants, try to get along with JY (against her mother's wish) and never criticize him. However that's the opposite of what TO truly likes - or else why would he go out of his way to have SW react to his shenanigans? She probably knows deep down that she'll always be 'inferior' to SW but since she's the one married to TO, she wants to be 'magnanimous' as a contrast to 'petty' SW. That's probably why she voted SW into the women's association. As for her mother, it's very obvious she - and many characters on that show - feels inferior to SW, that's why she did everything to put her down and ostracize her, on top of getting revenge for the humiliation she endured for 2 years as the mother of a notorious mistress.

For SW, I think she is the typical career woman who thought she could have (and had) it all: perfect job, perfect husband, perfect son. But everything crumbled at the end of episode 1 when she discovered she had a cheating husband, shitty friends and, later, difficult son. She devoted her life to her job and family and managed to survive after both her parents died in an accident she's suspicious of. She likely had a mentally ill mother and now she's also insecure about her parenting style because of it (just my guess). To be honest, it's very obvious SW is depressed (she has insomnia and drinks to fall asleep...). The contrast between the SW from the first part of episode 1 and the current SW is dire... She lost her smile and brightness and is now very gloomy, from her makeup style to her body language. She has always been a 'strong' woman so now she puts on a play to keep being 'strong' even though she's damaged by everything that has happened. She would benefit from a therapy but I think she's too obstinate to do that.

It's clear she doesn't care about TO or DK anymore. Her feelings for TO must be all gone by now while she might just feel pity for DK because she linked herself up to someone like TO who's going to cheat on her whenever he can as well as lie, hide things, steal etc. She's now fighting to keep her job, her son and her position in Gosan, because that's all she spent her life building up and all she has left. If it wasn't for TO's (and DK's mother's) revenge plans, she would have just went on with her life but these people refuse to let her be...

TBH, I mostly worried about SW, I feel like she's going to break down at one point considering her current state and the fact she has no support system (she does have the support of Chairman Choi's wife but they're not friends just doctor/patient and there's the psychiatrist but with the previews showing that DK's dad wants him as the new associate director, their relationship might just explode)....

Anyway that was long but that's my take!

Archived