[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Tonite episode is all about JTE learning about the paralel world. The couple progress. LG back to his world and go on with his daily duty as the King. 

Long live The King. 

Still hate the PM Koo. 

• Like 6

Hi everyone, i am silent reader of this forum.  Love all the insights i read here.  Just watched Episode 5 ... omg i super love it!!  Kge and do hwan’s character in the parallel universe is so funny.   The king and princess diana progress is just so :love:   I think i will rewatch this many many times.  :lol:

Oh, JTE mentioned Alice in Wonderland in this episode.  It’s the king’s fav book isn’t it. 

• Like 11

Watched it on Netflix and I'm loving every second of it!

I thought it was nicely paced as it is impossible for a non science / math person to readily accept the existence of parallel universe.

So for JTE to behave like this and still in shock, I get it. I totally get it.

And LG being at ease with her and being smooth as always... OMG. 

His lines might be cheesy at times but boy.... I've fallen hard for our King! :love:

Just look at JTE's face when she was a bodyguard for half a day!

One thing I want to point out, when JTE alighted at SJ's neighbourhood, for a while I thought why didn't she jumped at the sight of him and then I realised it's a crossed universe shot. Wonderfully played out!

Wish we know more about SJ's backstory soon.

And also.. I felt a bit sad when Lady Noh told JTE that she will bring chaos to our King.

Is it gonna be a forbidden / sorrowful love between our LTE ?

Lady Noh doesn't seem pleased that LG has found the girl of his dreams. :cold_sweat:

Sometimes.. the burden of a King is just so tragic when it comes to loving someone of his choice.

Lady PM is getting scarier and scarier every time I see her. Though she is so pretty but I'm wondering if she is friend or foe?

Do agree that there is a few minutes wastage on the Detective and his wife at the supermarket.  Like I need to know the butt clutching and all that? Aargh 

@bebebisous33 Looks like you are right again.

LR visited his potential ally and showing her the photo of another her in another universe.  I can't imagine how many people have been swapped by LR already!

All those photos in the dark room.. it's very worrisome and I just wish we have all the romance minus the evil suddenly. 

@ktcjdrama mystery of the keychain bear is solved in episode 5. Lol

• Like 11
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Heretorant said:

More about the couple, less about everything else. Most of it was JTE exploring his world. Cute and easy going episode. 

I wish it would have been a bit more exciting? I’m not sure if the ratings will go up. :mellow:

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it and honestly do not mind getting a whole entire episode of our couple. But I’m beginning to think the writer took on too many characters because all I want to see is LG and TE and LG’s story that has to do with his uncle. I don’t really care about PM at this point and I almost feel like she’s wasted screen time? I don’t quite see how she’s necessary to the bigger picture right now. Hopefully the writer can prove me wrong. 

For me i stopped worring about rating , I am sure this Korean will never like something fantasy like the king , I did see  some of WOM drama ,my goodness ,I can understand why they liked it , so many violence against women and a script making just for housewife , is good but not for  me , I have my top with COViD 19 I don't want more .so ,I enjoy every secande with my actress and actor , I don't need a rating to tell me is good or not . for today why we have to want more , fans  will never be satisfied , becz they  waited so much from this drama . I hope some if u relax and watch every episode with no stress and believe that the king  is anther world ,beautiful and imagineer .just dream and forget everything

• Like 9
  • Love 3

9 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

Watched it on Netflix and I'm loving every second of it!

I thought it was nicely paced as it is impossible for a non science / math person to readily accept the existence of parallel universe.

So for JTE to behave like this and still in shock, I get it. I totally get it.

And LG being at ease with her and being smooth as always... OMG. 

His lines might be cheesy at times but boy.... I've fallen hard for our King! :love:

Just look at JTE's face when she was a bodyguard for half a day!

One thing I want to point out, when JTE alighted at SJ's neighbourhood, for a while I thought why didn't she jumped at the sight of him and then I realised it's a crossed universe shot. Wonderfully played out!

Wish we know more about SJ's backstory soon.

@bebebisous33 Looks like you are right again.

LR visited his potential ally and showing her the photo of another her in another universe.  I can't imagine how many people have been swapped by LR already!

All those photos in the dark room.. it's very worrisome and I just wish we have all the romance minus the evil suddenly

That would be a perfect world and we would all die in here :lol:

@Joséphine.arjenia no worries chingu, we still love the show :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Just now, Heretorant said:

That would be a perfect world and we would all die in here :lol:

Ikr???

I'm all in for the candies and getting diabetic with all the mushy between our LTE and ok.. since some love bromance.. then with GY.. and how can we forget sweet Lady Noh right???

:glasses:

Can't wait for episode 6 before I rewatch all over again! :joy:

• LOL 4

Hi everyone! Been sa silent lurker in soompi forum for years already. I enjoy reading your comments and theories about the show. 

TKEM made me unlurk. :D Some may say Ep 5 is boring, but for me, I find it fun.  I enjoyed the entire episode. Most especially JTE and LG moments on screen. I sooo love their interactions.  Though I agree on some comments here about LDW being wasted, I am still hoping that his talent would be maximized in the succeeding episodes. 

I agree that there are so many characters in this drama. They introduced another one today, I wonder how that pregnant lady would affect the PM and how important her story is for it to be shown in the drama. 

Ratings wise, I hope you won't dwell too much in it. If we become too technical about it, we might not be able to totally enjoy the drama. :wub:

• Like 7
  • Love 5

So i have a dilemma here; if we get a happy ending, do you think JTE would willing to risk leaving her life in ROK to be a queen in KOC? And if not, would LG willing to sacrifice himself  as a king and live in ROK? I reckon that it would be hard for both of them to constantly travel from one world to the other. Hahahahahaha. I’m just thinking in advance lol.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

It will be hard for our dear King to live in Korea since he has no ID and JTE can't magically get him an ID.

I wish JTE can live in Corea with her daddy at least if LG is gonna close the door.

At least both have their happy ending...

But..  we should still have Kleenex ready.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • LOL 2
  • Insightful 2

Episode 5 ....

Spoiler

I can see why Lee Gon find JTE amusing, their bickering is cute most of the times. JTE has unexpected response so Lee Gon found it charming. He clearly smitten with princess diana. The kiss was unexpected, i was happy to see it happen, but then i found it... a bit out of place? Not sure how other people would take it :)))) You either an anti or a supporter, but the kiss is not yet convincing for the anti, i'm sure :)))) 

As for JTE, she probably still think the king's messing with her. 

Yeong.. he seems to be the first one who will learn that JTE's lookalike is Luna. I dont know what to expect of Luna tbh. 

Plot progresion-wise we learnt: 

- So Lee Rim indeed trying to swap place of people in republic korea to those of corea. So the corpse we've been seeing are actually body of people who get replaced in corea then... His plan is still very confusing, no one know for sure what he is up to.

- The part where it seems like JTE running into Shin Jae in Corea is very misleading, it's actually a double take scene showing that Shin Jae is going back to his old place in Korea. His past seems to have a connection to Corea too, who knows, maybe his mom/dad got swap place per Lee Rim plan. Shin Jae's past is still not yet revealed.... we know he has nightmares, and been seeking psychiatrist help, and he used to be not giving a damn about his life but then change to live better life after meeting JTE. 

To be fair, it seems like JTE also likes Shin jae, if it was not for the appearance of Lee Gon, these two would have gotten together naturally. 

- Lee Rim seems wanting to replace people in the cabinet, not sure if he has any connection or working with the prime minister. They are either planning different thing, or all working together, we do not know yet. 

- The biggest wtf moment: There is apparently a part in Corea that is not moving according to time, i dont know how the hell Lee Gon found the place, or can even take JTE there, this place is just feel very odd and out of context... so Corea is more or less a very magical/illogical world somehow. We also learned that Corea is powerful because of rare resources that only Corea possessed (think of Vibranium in Wakanda as in Black Panther Marvel universe.

Overall a cute episode, the plots are still very patchy and confusing though. 

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, kaqueski said:

Episode 5 ....

Hide contents

- The biggest wtf moment: There is apparently a part in Corea that is not moving according to time, i dont know how the hell Lee Gon found the place, or can even take JTE there, this place is just feel very odd and out of context... so Corea is more or less a very magical/illogical world somehow. 

I thought that place was the path (sorry not sure if this is the right term) whenever LG or LR crosses to and from both worlds? It is not IN the kingdom of Corea, but the path within the gate? Do I make sense or I understood it wrong? 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

I think the drama has alot of potential and I am enjoying it. On the other hand, maybe because it's a KES drama (Mr Sunshine, Goblin, DOTS), my expectations are alot higher. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling it a bad show but there's something missing. The world building of the show seems slightly jerky if you know what I mean whereas with pervious shows, the world building is there but it's alot more seamless and there's less of an obvious effort to tell the audience

And another thing, with other dramas like hotel del luna or mr sunshine or even shows like world of the married, I can immeditately feel an emotional connection and empathise with the characters. Here, maybe because there's just alot going on that  I find it hard to become attached to the characters and as a result, the show. The actors are doing a great job, the cinematography is gorgeous and every shot feels like a haunting photograph but there's some magic here that's missing

• Like 5

It's fun... no way.... 70 minutes spent like seconds already!!! Ahhh.... I wait for days and it has ended already??? I want more... lol

LTE couple are in love now! That awkward moment and the anticipated moment happened. Yay! That was smooth, calm and sweet. I'm blushing and had to bury my face under my pillow for a scream. Scared of other would think me crazy for being too excited in the middle of the night. Lol. Wait where's the kitchen scene from the stills? Aren't they for ep 5?? Or it would be in ep 6? 

Ah... LR's are on the move to plot his revolt. So he would switch all everyone from Corea with their doppelganger and he can control them later on when he plans to take over the throne?? He moves pretty sneaky. No one realizes this yet that he's preparing his armour already. I see that TE's looking for her mom and dad but found none so the early summary I've read told that Luna's parents are dead and she's a fugitive. Ahh... this puzzles keeps moving around to its shapes gradually. It's interesting. 

Okay, I need ep 6 preview, but why it's none???

Does the ending should be that way?? The leads are standing gracefully and that theme song starts. Hahahahaha. It tickles whenever they have to do the slow-mo part so badly. But that was okay.... I get used to it now. Lol

I really don't like the lady PM. She's over confident and so full of herself. I really feel that she has no fear at all that she's being too nosy with every stuffs of the king or does she have to do so as her job??? Well, I find her a bit too much, crossing the line. 

Does anyone share ep 6 prev somewhere here????

• Like 8