[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

@1ouise To add on, I don't think any normal human would have known the way around the palace and also arrive in the nick of time.

It does point to LG.

So he might have brush up his shooting skills sometime later? 

@Joanna Alfson Again, we underestimated this King! He's really touchy when it comes to JTE. Lol

Edit:

Someone did ask about the in between when LG brought JTE over.

LG mentioned to JTE about the time in the in between and told her that he went back and forth to check it.

So it's either he tested it while he was in Korea since he has all the time (and I do recall him walking to the bamboo forest alone after taking his whip along with him) or he tested while he's back in Corea but I think it's impossible since he is heavily guarded.

Then it brings to another question:

If there is a in between, wouldn't the in between be like a hub to all entrance/exit?

• Like 4

This was probably my favourite episode thus far. 

I enjoyed watching LG and JTE in Corea, more than in Korea. I also liked the interactions between Jo Young and JTE in this world as well.

One of the things that used to irk me was how I would often get confused with the transition between the two worlds. I would often know we were in Corea because of the tram.

Now, especially since seeing the Shin Jae scene today, if this was not intentional. I feel like characters who actually have a connection with the two worlds, or are the only ones on either side, are shown without the transition being obvious.

Another relationship I am wondering about is Shin Jae and Luna. The way Shin Jae was drawn to JTE, makes me wonder, if he did come from Corea, if he has a connection with Luna.

I still have a lot of issues around the editing of the show, and even the directing, but I look forward to Friday just as much as the rest of you here :D

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

@1ouise To add on, I don't think any normal human would have known the way around the palace and also arrive in the nick of time.

It does point to LG.

So he might have brush up his shooting skills sometime later? 

@Joanna Alfson Again, we underestimated this King! He's really touchy when it comes to JTE. Lol

Edit:

Someone did ask about the in between when LG brought JTE over.

LG mentioned to JTE about the time in the in between and told her that he went back and forth to check it.

So it's either he tested it while he was in Korea since he has all the time (and I do recall him walking to the bamboo forest alone after taking his whip along with him) or he tested while he's back in Corea but I think it's impossible since he is heavily guarded.

Then it brings to another question:

If there is a in between, wouldn't the in between be like a hub to all entrance/exit?

I think it could have been inside the flute. They could have somehow entered inside the flute. I have seen couple of chinese wuxia where things like this happen. Where you have a sprit living inside a bead or something and they can enter it back and forth. Maybe LG can enter the flute and see its inside not psychically tho just thru the mind

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

@Joanna Alfson I was the one who thought kissing won't happen in episode 5 and 6!!! Lol

I obviously underestimated our King. :joy:

@bebebisous33 Lend your brain power here please.

There are existence of 2 SJ's mum. So the one in Palace is from Korea and the one gambling is from Corea? Hence the fell in riches?

It doesn't add up. Because lady noh will do background checks to ensure none of them have money trouble before employing them unless she skipped the check years ago.

But again, seeing the mother in Korea is crazy with money, it seems impossible for her to agree to switch isn't it?

Another thing to note is that everyone in Korea know they were rich before.

And JTE assumed SJ's family are rich in Corea too. 

But I do agree with the memories on SJ. It could have been manipulated since young hence the "nightmares".

Hmm.. questions and more questions.

@Dramafreak Why would the same people of two different universe have the same DNA?

I think scientifically there are no 2 humans beings having the identical DNA.

If I'm not wrong, LG did explain to JTE when she gotten his DNA to figure out his identity back in Korea.

And that brings us to the doubt he had regarding the autopsy of his evil step uncle and he questioning Prince Lee.

Again. I'm having more questions now. Lol

I really really hate drama not giving us backstory first and dropping tidbits here and there every single episode.

And here we are, getting our brain fried trying to figure it out. Lol

Remember that I wrote that the social status of people from one world is reversed, like a mirror. So if SJ's family in Rep. Korea was rich, then it was the opposite in Mon. Corea. They had to work hard. Hence I came to this theory:

SJ's family from Rep. Korea has been rich but was about to experience bankruptcy. What if in their case, LL proposed to the family from Mon. Corea to switch places with the family from Rep. Korea? He gave them pictures from SJ's family living in a huge house aso and the mother agreed. She thought that she could get a great benefit from it. She no longer needed to work and she accepted the offer.

On the other hand, LL knew exactly about the real financial situation of the family from Rep. Korea and had misled the woman. Once she arrived in Rep. Korea, she enjoyed the new life style for a while... until the bankruptcy was declared. However, SJ must have witnessed a murder... due to the nightmare. Either the husband refused the deal and was killed or SJ witnessed the murder of his doppelganger. She started gambling because she had been used to her new life style or maybe LL influenced her to gamble after the bankruptcy... Remember my assumption that LL could have gathered his fortune due to illegal gambling.   

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I still have a lot of issues around the editing of the show, and even the directing, but I look forward to Friday just as much as the rest of you here :D

I usually don't have issues with the editing.

But my issues for episode 5 will be the start of it. It seems all over the place.

But then.. I can easily overlook it since they compensated with sweet moments. 

@Geolyvseven anything is possible. We just need to have the patience for things to be revealed huh? :sweat_smile:

@bebebisous33 I'm officially confused. Lol

• Like 2

Nationwide

6 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord) 8.6

11 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord) 7.6

seoul

4 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord) 9.3

6 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord)

Feeling bad for cast and crew. I won't bother about ratings anymore and simply watch it for enjoyment. Director needs to do little better with more thrill part but it still deserve better. I don't know it will ever recover or not. But i want to see it do well for actors who worked so hard on project.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Nationwide

6 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord) 8.6

11 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord) 7.6

seoul

4 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord) 9.3

6 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord)

Feeling bad for cast and crew. I won't bother about ratings anymore and simply watch it for enjoyment. Director needs to do little better with more thrill part but it still deserve better.

I think as long as they can stay around the 10 or 2 digit like around the 9-11% I think they should be satisfied with it. I never really expected them to reach 15% nor do I do now. Just due to being on netflix an hour later it's just not feasible in these circumstances

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20200502

The fifth episode of the SBS Friday-Saturday drama "The King-Eternal Monarch" (written by Kim Eun-sook/directed by Baek Sang-hoon, produced by Jung Ji-hyun/produced by Hwa & Dam Pictures) aired on May 1st (Friday) recorded 8.2 percent in Nielsen Korea, 9.3 percent in the 1st part of the Seoul metropolitan area, and 4.6 percent in 20-49 age group viewer ratings. At the moment, the highest viewer rating stood at 10.5 percent, topping the all-channel time slot for the fifth straight time.

http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=202005020729439114531_1

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Geolyvseven said:

I think as long as they can stay around the 10 or 2 digit like around the 9-11% I think they should be satisfied with it. I never really expected them to reach 15% nor do I do now. Just due to being on netflix an hour later it's just not feasible in thesse circumstances 

Actually they expected to do it around over 25% by finale week, considering it is KES drama with A listers. SO i have to disagree with you.

Actors can bring initials which they did, the next job is of script and the director. Actors did their job bringing double digit start. . Ratings are actually disappointing truth to be told. It is not satisfactory for channel. Considering how grand the project is. 

I am not saying it should cross 20% right now, but staying in double digit was atleast expected.  And hitting 20% plus by finale. I am ok with the reality that it didn't connect with the audience because of first few weeks.  I am liking it now and i will focus on that.  I wish to see ir doing like heirs but director need to up his game for that. The episode was actually good but they need to make it up fast with episode with full on thrill element and cliffhangers.

• Like 5

Because of the kiss scene, I thought they would have a rise in ratings. In this episode Kim Go Eun was like how Lee Gon was exploring Seoul. I would say Kim Go Eun was getting to know Lee Gon in this episode and saw his kingdom and surrounding people. I think starting episode 6 things start to pick up. The kiss scene has had super fast rate of view. But again, don't forget Heirs was similar and we had sudden jump of ratings to 20%. Kim Eun Sook drama are normally slow. Most people like her male character and the witty lines. The romance still hasn't been developed. I read comments in Naver saying that Lee Gon was sexy and eager but Tae Eul wasn't even surprised. Her serious character is charm and she will slowly warm up and express her emotions. 

I think Heirs finished with 25%. I really want this drama to actually pass 25%. We still have more episodes to come. But there is something else I noticed. I don't why the writer separates Lee Gon and Tae Eul soon. I mean I understand that he is the king and has responsibility. But people want more romance. We need more Lee Gon and Tae Eul time. 

LMH deserves MORE!!!! :bawling:  

By the way, I read some comments in Naver saying how Tae Eul did not show any feelings to Lee Gon when he kissed him. He does have feelings for him. But Tae Eul seemed too serious and a bit cold. To feel romance, the female character need to express some feelings too. I am still waiting for her to fall in love with Lee Gon. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Actually they expected to do it around over 25% by finale week, considering it is KES drama with A listers. SO i have to disagree with you.

Actors can bring initials which they did, the next job is of script and the director. Actors did their job bringing double digit start. . Ratings are actually disappointing truth to be told. It is not satisfactory for channel. Considering how grand the project is.  I am not saying it should cross 20% right now, but staying in double digit was atleast expected.  And hitting 20% plus by finale. I am ok with the reality. 

Yes on TV the ratings is not ideal and slipping but being an hour later on Netflix is just unrealistic to be honest. If they wanted a fair rating they should have stayed on SBS and ditch Netflix until the show finishes and than release it there. I also don't think I will have issues with it if this show dose even poorer numbers on TV. 

But as awhole I don't care for the rating at all one bit it dosen't concern me at all  

• Like 7

11 hours ago, briseis said:

Lee Gon has a type - it’s tiny, feisty, no-nonsense women who have zero tolerance for his bulls***, cuss and hit him.

It’s amazing that the aloof, all-powerful king completely melts and becomes powerless in front of them, turning into a touch-starved, needy puppy who wants to cuddle with them.

Also, how awesome is that Lee Gon got himself a girl who is basically a younger version of his beloved Lady Noh? The likeness is uncanny - they even have the same height.

Hide contents

well aren't guy mostly fall for someone that have same personality like their mother ^~^ in this case, lady Noh was the one that take care of him since LG father passed away. so y'know what i mean right >\\\<

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Remember that I wrote that the social status of people from one world is reversed, like a mirror.

I love this observation of the two worlds. Visually it's like the beginning when we see the two different landscapes of each world reflecting each other! 

• Like 2

OK , they will have some people who will get disappointed by rating , as me I thought that this time Korean will be more interested but they still not yet .I believe at WOTM finish we will be fixed . is stable now and I think is not bad . also I think Korean prefer watch this drama in Netflix becz is trending all the week so , be hopeful . and enjoy with it :D

• Like 8