[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

lee gon is whipped with tae eul  he wanted her stay  comfortable - brought her dinner - he came see her in her room - always want to be beside her - wants to look cool infront of her

05/01/20 #TheKingEternalMonarch Episode 5 — #JungTaeEul and #LeeGon’s First Kiss

IQB8Yz.gif

:joy:

ImageImage

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 7
  • LOL 11
  • Awesome 2

Hi I am new to Soompi and love reading all the analysis and theories regarding TKEM. From my prespective the show is good, but the script to screen transition does have a testing the patience factor because it is supposed to be a 16 episodes show. Most of the doubts for the story to wrap in One season 16 episodes seem tough due to plethora of backstories.

Other than that the Story itself is different and awsome. I remember watching Goblin and I think it was one of the earliest of its type fantasy ghosts and reaper and goblin and God are all family/neighbours, maybe that is why I have had problem watching Hotel Del Luna ...it has too much of a Goblinish vibe IMHO. 

This one on the other hand can actually have a valid scientific reason associated with fantasy if written correctly. Lee Gon is so transparent in terms of his emotions with all his loved ones whether it is Lady Noh, Lady Maximus, Jo young or Princess Di !! I guess because for him Logic is Logic..I love you,,, I hate you,, I could care less for you on emotional level because you are just the PM for my Kingdom of Corea.And for him to not act weird or put 2 and 2 together in ROK immediately cuz he has a geek mind. He looks for reasoning rather than get all scared ( He got scared or apprehensive initially when his Harry Potter scar struk him on the shoulder, he did not understand the logic until he figured the side effect). Now how he finds Princess Di attractive or amusing is because of the Id that supposedly saved me and her straight forwardness attachment or maybe as a kid itself he was infatuated with the picture in ID, so when he saw her in the parallel world he is making sure that The id carrier saving him.was a coincidence.

Lee Rim ( voldemort uncle) wants to rule Corea ..he is revolting and breaking Corea via his power..because of the fact he wanted to be the KING eternal monarch but could not be so because he was not the legitimate heir.Power hungry that is my take atleast.But why did it take him 20+ years in making...Writer has to tell me that.

Jo young is loosing his patience because well he is..He needs to have some significance except saving his Pyhea...The layer unfolding of his character is making me the most impatient.Because for se reason Lee Gon is not considering the fact that him getting lost or hurt, hurts him as well since they were kids. Lady Noh is right...LeeEul is trouble in practicality.But alas I will enjoy the impossible.

Shin Jae , I have a small theory, he and his family were swapped very early on from Corea to Korea that is why he has nightmares he just does not know it.

And also Lee Gon or I so hope Lee Ji ho ( that is his name if I am not wrong in Korea) is the one who saved prince Lee Gon, that was not a woman who saved him period!

I love today's ending for episode 5 , what kind of Love triangle is there? That we has such a dramatic musical ending with Lee Gon sandwiched in between...Tae Eul is so not intrested to be the Queen of King let alone be Queen of Corea...character graph has to change 1000 times for it to be believable!! 

Why is it 16 episodes with one season  had this been a book it would have had parts. The story is beautiful the actors are Fab...the pace and count of episodes does not equate.

Ps - I am not sure on which dialog I had the reaction "Oh I love it v/s why would YOU say that or how am I supposed to know am I sitting inside your head" ..was it Heirs (Do I like you?) OR ( try guessing what I just proved before..Have I dated before or Am I dating Now) I mean ..What??...

===Long Live the KING..to hll with ratings====

• Like 12

53 minutes ago, simplebeauty08 said:

I thought that place was the path (sorry not sure if this is the right term) whenever LG or LR crosses to and from both worlds? It is not IN the kingdom of Corea, but the path within the gate? Do I make sense or I understood it wrong? 

Hm you maybe right. 

It could be a flashback when they cross the gate between both worlds. The transition is misleading in this case, Lee Gon command to go to racing track then we have this sequence then back to the race track... so i got a bit confused like.. did they stop by this weird place on the way to race track?

But then if Lee Gon put a balloon inside there, there's no way Lee Rim didn't notice it? 

• Like 5

I can see why Lee Gon find JTE amusing, their bickering is cute most of the times. JTE has unexpected response so Lee Gon found it charming. He clearly smitten with princess diana. The kiss was unexpected, i was happy to see it happen, but then i found it... a bit out of place? Not sure how other people would take it :)))) You either an anti or a supporter, but the kiss is not yet convincing for the anti, i'm sure :))))

Hehehe. I liked the kiss and thought it was cute. But I’m left wondering, was it forced? Or was it not? JTE was definitely not that into it and I understand because at this point, her feelings are not matched with his. Yet, she also didn’t push him away. It’s almost as though she just accepted it? She didn’t love it and didn’t hate it? It’s a cute guy kissing you so maybe you’re not that against it but at the same time, the feelings are not that strong for you to be into it? If you get what I mean lol.

I'm also curious to know how they will show two ID cards at the same time when actually there is only one. Is this possible??? I want to this scene ASAP

@Aleenaaa I wonder too. This is where the present meshes with the past. If she has her ID now, technically it should be the only copy and because no one has gone back to the past with her ID yet, his copy should be gone right? Hahaha, if that makes any sense at all. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, sasha1818 said:

I think the drama has alot of potential and I am enjoying it. On the other hand, maybe because it's a KES drama (Mr Sunshine, Goblin, DOTS), my expectations are alot higher. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling it a bad show but there's something missing. The world building of the show seems slightly jerky if you know what I mean whereas with pervious shows, the world building is there but it's alot more seamless and there's less of an obvious effort to tell the audience

And another thing, with other dramas like hotel del luna or mr sunshine or even shows like world of the married, I can immeditately feel an emotional connection and empathise with the characters. Here, maybe because there's just alot going on that  I find it hard to become attached to the characters and as a result, the show. The actors are doing a great job, the cinematography is gorgeous and every shot feels like a haunting photograph but there's some magic here that's missing

I felt the same way. It's probably due to multiple and complex story lines. As a viewer, I was busy trying to read subtitle, figuring out who is who at which universe, I did not think I saw much of characters' emotional expression to connect with them in the first view.ing After watching 4 episodes in one go the first time, I was left feeling unsatisfied thinking the storytelling was flat, lacked chemistry between lead actors, the cinematography was beautiful but staged and lack of fluidity between scenes. All that changed after I went back and watched it second time where I did not have to read subtitle as much. I discovered so much that I missed the first time and found the story well written and acted on. This is not a simple one-note one-dimension love story. It's a story that requires viewers to think with different perspective. I love it so far and hope the intrigue continues. 

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

WHAT IF---

THE AU SHIP I DIDN’T KNOW I NEEDED! And I’m sure I’m not the only one who noticed.

At this point I’m shipping Young with Tae Eul, Lee Gon and half of the female cast and it says a lot about how epic and charismatic Woo Do Hwan is in this show. Hell, the man would have chemistry with a rock and could melt icebergs with his intensity.

8b24a62f47ce72a9a57457c0a3b63843240cc60b23eb8b23f3327508405ccd5e3450e6b9492253d2e7c41d5a675cebf6ef0e092a9db70a8ee2fd5593

Spoiler

8e52f9c4eae829c6f97e9ae7d5bb4fa5b58514d0ba7c027322f9a6148d78bfa84958886e8c101c4375c22d40796558fbc942b525af1d19cfd249a2da59a12a4ad8462e6fa1ded8af1fca323f99c809c2

• Like 16

Episode 5 -

I loved the OST as they rode into the stables - the music throughout this drama is wonderful

The Gun scene - Didn't go down as I imagined, but I loved it none the less - I look forward to JTE proving herself to JY and for them to have as close a friendship as she has with ES in ROK.

LADY MAXIMUS!

Lady Noh stealing scenes throughout the episode - I loved how she brings LG to a sudden stop when hes giving JTE a tour of the palace :lol: - I just love her - I can't wait for her to come around on her thoughts of LG & JTE - you know when she gives her blessing to the new Queen, there won't be enough tissue in the kingdom to stop the flood of tears :D

Not enough JY - Seung-A screen time - Seung-A said it best when she was alone with JY in the hallway .... " I feel so sad about missing this great opportunity "  :wub:  

I loved the way JTE asks for LGs phone and then just pockets it :lol:

The Kiss! - kisskisskisskisskisskisskiss .... oh and did I mention the kiss? :wub:  Its gonna rock the Kings world the first time she initiates the kiss - great times ahead :wub:

.... and we finally got an answer to the bear key chain mystery 

The King turns mathematics into poetry - well done

The look on JYs face when LG suddenly grabs his wrist and asks if he looked cool was priceless :lol:

Checking phone search results .... JTE is already sizing up the competition

We finally get a full on explanation on how LR is recruiting his followers, but as desperate as some seem, it makes me wonder just how many will stay loyal to him once the fighting starts. Especially LGs mom from the ROK world - once she sees what her son could've been in another life I think she's the first to switch sides ... I also can't help but think there's an awfully painful reunion/meeting with the King coming when she does :unsure:

We get a closer look at the darkness creeping in on SJ - I don't mind if his character is a tragic one, I just hope he stays true to JTE

I loved/ want more of the scenes with JTE & JY - when he suddenly appears next to her is just too good - her incredulity vs his ironclad stoicism - more of this please :lol:

When the guards rush out of the building to protective positions and then out strides the King ... awesome scene!

The Prime Minister - guys I'm wholeheartedly on team JTE, but I just gotta say, the PM looked positively exquisite there at the end - too bad shes shaping up to be the wicked witch of the drama - ( did you catch JTEs awkward gasp as she walked up )

Episodes biggest missed opportunity - At the end, when the Prime Minister walks up and offers her hand, JTE should've started tying up her hair - the look of alarm on LGs face ... ah it would've been glorious :lol:

Can hardly wait til tomorrow!

LCO

• Like 6
  • LOL 7

6 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Episode 5 -

I loved the OST as they rode into the stables - the music throughout this drama is wonderful

The Gun scene - Didn't go down as I imagined, but I loved it none the less - I look forward to JTE proving herself to JY and for them to have as close a friendship as she has with ES in ROK.

LADY MAXIMUS!

Lady Noh stealing scenes throughout the episode - I loved how she brings LG to a sudden stop when hes giving JTE a tour of the palace :lol: - I just love her - I can't wait for her to come around on her thoughts of LG & JTE - you know when she gives her blessing to the new Queen, there won't be enough tissue in the kingdom to stop the flood of tears :D

Not enough JY - Seung-A screen time - Seung-A said it best when she was alone with JY in the hallway .... " I feel so sad about missing this great opportunity "  :wub:  

I loved the way JTE asks for LGs phone and then just pockets it :lol:

The Kiss! - kisskisskisskisskisskisskiss .... oh and did I mention the kiss? :wub:  Its gonna rock the Kings world the first time she initiates the kiss - great times ahead :wub:

.... and we finally got an answer to the bear key chain mystery 

The King turns mathematics into poetry - well done

The look on JYs face when LG suddenly grabs his wrist and asks if he looked cool was priceless :lol:

Checking phone search results .... JTE is already sizing up the competition

We finally get a full on explanation on how LR is recruiting his followers, but as desperate as some seem, it makes me wonder just how many will stay loyal to him once the fighting starts. Especially LGs mom from the ROK world - once she sees what her son could've been in another life I think she's the first to switch sides ... I also can't help but think there's an awfully painful reunion/meeting with the King coming when she does :unsure:

We get a closer look at the darkness creeping in on SJ - I don't mind if his character is a tragic one, I just hope he stays true to JTE

I loved/ want more of the scenes with JTE & JY - when he suddenly appears next to her is just too good - her incredulity vs his ironclad stoicism - more of this please :lol:

When the guards rush out of the building to protective positions and then out strides the King ... awesome scene!

The Prime Minister - guys I'm wholeheartedly on team JTE, but I just gotta say, the PM looked positively exquisite there at the end - too bad shes shaping up to be the wicked witch of the drama - ( did you catch JTEs awkward gasp as she walked up )

Episodes biggest missed opportunity - At the end, when the Prime Minister walks up and offers her hand, JTE should've started tying up her hair - the look of alarm on LGs face ... ah it would've been glorious :lol:

Can hardly wait til tomorrow!

LCO

Do I love your post? Or do I laugh at it? Ultimately, I decided to laugh at it because the missed opportunity was too great! Would have been hilarious :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

Just finished episode 5. Honestly this was my favourite episode especially the first half. What we have learned so far is that Lady Noh actully runs the palace in a very pragmatic way. Lee Gon didn't have parents to raise him so Lady Noh is his parental guide since he was young and probably she has run the palace since the last 25 years and I have come to love her character even tho she can be very pragmatic and loves to follow the palace guidelines very closely she is a very lovely character. The Bodyguard is also coming into great play and his character his growing by the time. 

JTE is alot smarter than I initially thought even tho she is a flat earther she has some very good detective skills and we have learned that by her searching skills. She sourced out what was most key to know first she verifed him on the search and his realness than continued to other details regarding KOC as awhole and than she did the unexpected which showcases her intentions she sourced out Lee Gon's possible affair with the Premier minister and read these rumours hahaha. She is competitive I love that side to her and I didn't know she had this in her. It was like a new she-wolf learning about her territory before she marks it. I thought that was slick and it even shocked him when he saw that she searched that up and than she proceeded to search on transport from Busan to seoul and actully went there later to search for people she knows from ROK other-halfs in KOC.  

I don't think she will give her the hand shake. She actully surprised me with what she searched for. She already sees her as rival because she knows about the online rumours about Lee Gon and PM Koo and she was not pleased to see her which means she is smitten with Lee Gon. I also loved when she was cheering for him in that basketball scene. :wub:

Another thing that I found interesting was that KOC is alot more wealthy nation than ROK. The nation is worth more than trillions in rare earth minerals. The world is also alot more beautiful in KOC. Lee Gon has a great world folks. I would have perferred KOC it seems more advanced and wealthier than ROK. The worldbuilding is great. 

All in all I loved episode 5 and I can't wait for episode 6 to come around the corner

• Like 15
  • Love 3

As for the kiss, I don't find it awkward. 

The King saw his chance and seized it quickly! Lol

He sure has no boundaries or walls build up when he is around JTE.

I like it. It feels like he is living like a normal person without the weight of a King on his shoulders.

Guess that is why he is smitten with JTE at first sight!

And our dear JTE, she reacted to the kiss only a day AFTER. LOL.

Guess that explains the chaste kiss yah? :glasses:

@Ameera Ali Did you see the look on GY's face and his expression when the King gave his royal orders to him before leaving on his 4pm duty?

That exasperated look... lol

• Like 8
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

I like it. It feels like he is living like a normal person without the weight of a King on his shoulders.

I love your explanation! The king waits for no one! He’s smooth, straight in for the kiss :D. I like a man who knows what he wants hehehe.

And yes, her reaction was a day late. She was so shocked in the moment. Did she even hear what he said after? Lol. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

23 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

@Aleenaaa I wonder too. This is where the present meshes with the past. If she has her ID now, technically it should be the only copy and because no one has gone back to the past with her ID yet, his copy should be gone right? Hahaha, if that makes any sense at all. 

Exactly! I feel the same. For the first time past and present will come face to face and I really hope they execute it well as it is very important to understand this aspect. Even I think the ID with LG's  shouldn't be there because their is only one original and that's with JTE rn. So if LG's one disappears, I want to see how LG will explain it in terms of quantum physics when LG isn't aware of time travel yet. OMG! This is so complicated so perfect execution matters otherwise it all will be a chaos like that colorful world they showed us today. This drama has so much potential only right execution matters!! 

For now, I'm reading  time travel theories. Things this drama makes us do:lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

29 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

And yes, her reaction was a day late. She was so shocked in the moment. Did she even hear what he said after? Lol. 

I think none of us hear what he said after too! Lol

I mean.. he did ask her guess what's the kiss for and they never give us an answer!

The audacity to leave us hanging! Lol

@Aleenaaa and @Heretorant 

I know nuts about scientific truth but I've watched 12 monkeys the tv series and it was on time travelling.

What I know from there is that if the same object or person meet at the same time or something..  it will cause a paradox effect.

So I'm not sure if this will happen for the ID but we are talking about parallel universe so it could be different logic?

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

@Heretorantthanks for the link!!!

Btw i am watching the episode. The devil description makes sense.

Lucifer is like evil Uncle who granted wish to his followers for some sacrifice.

Satan demands sacrifice , if you wish for wealth and fame ( many rappers said about it as well! )

Evil uncle does the same here. He is lucifer or satan of this world

Also the place where time stood still, balloon didn't burst must be the path to different universes. When you cross the door , you come at that path and then go to different universe. So far only Corea and korea. Many more to explore!

• Like 7

I'm really angry to those people always criticizing this kdrama, they make a site where they bash it and talking bad at it. It's beautiful and awesome kdrama, if you don't like this kdrama then shut up the hell up cause we don't really care what you people say. We have different perspective and taste in kdrama. I don't really watch the WOM it's giving me trauma hahahahaha so that's why i stop watching it. I'M REALLY A BIG FAN OF THIS KDRAMA NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE SAY OR THINK I KEEP SUPPORTING THIS DRAMA! I'M HERE SINCE DAY 1 SOO I'M CONTINUING IT NO BACKING UP HAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

• Like 7

the visuals, color scheme and the details they lit in the cinematography is really impressive.

89ddd7c548898e8ab3fc7253bac90416f4bd8fd3.gifvea18e0ca43bec72adc2d4b1dcb88116381e9c127.gifv

Spoiler

0d6e19fed03713f081d8502394d0f7caa7a57be3.gifv1737d37b88d3bdeb766c9fc6a3eca2dc34615edb.gifv

I’ll reach the edge of this place someday. And I’ll tell you all about it.

cr setmaker

This is a void between the two worlds where time comes to a pause.LG said that one day he would explore it to the very end. Is it some kind of a foreshadowing of a time loop where he keeps on saving himself,meets JTE,thus,becoming the eternal monarch?
after ponytails, i guess we can all agree that lee min ho has a thing for shoulder naps
kim tan, heo joon jae and lee gon agrees.:tounge_wink:
Spoiler

• Like 12
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 2

31 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

@Ameera Ali Did you see the look on GY's face and his expression when the King gave his royal orders to him before leaving on his 4pm duty?

That exasperated look... lol

I also loved that part the kiss was great but I also love the energy and atmosphere between them. It seems as if she is most safest with him vibe and I loved the way they were talking casually when she was eating and drinking. She was not shy from him and was eating quickly and talking casually with him. chemistry is superb here and I could ask for more and I found myself looking forward to their interactions specifically

• Like 8
  • Love 2