[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

0ly40

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 3, 2019

Political dramas hit TV screens as elections draw closer

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, July 3 (Yonhap) -- As the nation is gearing up for next year's general elections, TV networks are moving swiftly to fill their programs with political dramas to catch the eyes of viewers.

KBS' "My Fellow Citizens!" broached the subject in April, exactly a year before the 2020 parliamentary elections.

The comedy drama revolves around a con man, played by Choi Si-won of boy band Super Junior, who runs for a parliamentary seat after unexpected accidents.

It failed to record high viewership ratings but established significant presence by putting politics at the center of a TV drama.

Arriving next was JTBC's "Chief of Staff," starring Lee Jung-jae and Shin Min-ah.

Premiering on June 14, the series has been praised as "well-made political drama" for its realistic and charming characters. Star actor Lee plays a lawmaker's brilliant and capable assistant who tries to become a parliamentary member himself.

Different from past political dramas paying attention to political heavyweights and kingpins, it focuses a spotlight on the thousands of aides and assistants of lawmakers who really move politics behind the scenes.

This photo provided by JTBC shows the main promotional image of "Chief of Staff." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

This photo provided by JTBC shows the main promotional image of "Chief of Staff." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Cable channel tvN launched "Designated Survivor: 60 Days," a remake of the popular American series "Designated Survivor," this week.

Starring Ji Jin-hee, the drama is about a scholar-turned-minister who takes the role of president after an unknown terrorist attack on the National Assembly killed the president and most high-ranking government officials at the same time.

The Korean edition of the U.S. series is expected to attract viewers' attention as the country's interim leader has to strike a delicate balancing act amidst highly tense geopolitical issues like North Korean provocations.

It got off to a solid start with viewership ratings of 3.4 percent and 4.2 percent for the first and second episodes, respectively.

This image provided by tvN shows the main poster of "Designated Survivor: 60 Days." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

This image provided by tvN shows the main poster of "Designated Survivor: 60 Days." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

In the latter half of this year, tvN is preparing another political series titled "The Great Show," featuring a former lawmaker, played by Song Seung-heon, who tries to enter the National Assembly again.

Critics say a growing number of people are interested in politics as the election draws closer and amid the recent dynamics of regional politics surrounding North Korea and the United States.

"With the general elections less than a year away, TV channels seem to think that political dramas can bring in higher viewership ratings," Yun Seok-jin from Chungnam National University said.

But he doubted whether such political dramas can find success in a country whose politics in real life feel more like a drama, saying viewers may be tired of watching political debates and quarrels in news programs and dramas as well.

"So, it is uncertain whether these shows will make positive outcome as they want," he added.

brk@yna.co.kr

I made the mistake of marathoning season 1 Designated survivor in one day. Then watched the Korean ep 1.

I am pretty sure our Minisiters don't have a security detail. PMJ is only the Environment Minister.

Did the writers go overboard? I mean come on man. Even if he is socially awkward that guy has 2 kids and must have dated. And since he was a clever student and a KAIST Professor no one of his calibre is that clueless. We have all seen social politics and jostling. And he is a tenured Professor. He would have had some social skills.

Martial law? Well all male Koreans have served in the military. And technically I guess Koreans know what martial law is. I presume Americans would howl about their civil rights if they did that in their version. And SK has so many policemen since they are recruits. However I wasn't paying attention. This is subbed. Did they say actually say martial law or state of emergency or something else?

Who is the guy who asked him to sign it anyway?? For PMJ to listen. And seriously- the people had their mobile video on during that time? I mean " huh, why? For release to the public.".

I am not really criticizing since it has to be adapted to the Korean public. Hope they manage to make an intelligent series rather than nonsense Kdrama. I intent to watch so 2-4 next week. So 1 was too cringe after so 1.

Late to the party.  Never watched American version (I am glad) so no comparison.  I loved Ep1.  Started off with a bang :lol:.  Blue House Down (as opposed to White House Down). Yes lots of characters thrown at the audience higgledy piggledy and I was lost in a lot of the political speech but I focused more on the characters and their inner workings and relationships rather than their rank/status.  I am sure it will all fall into place as the episodes unfold.  I was only annoyed by the belligerent American diplomat (?).  Acting was below par and cringey but he only lasted for a while so I closed one eye.

PMJ - a regular Jack Ryan.  Boy Scout.  Honest, decent, family man... giving me all the Clear and Present Danger vibes.  The reluctant hero.  A bit of a klutz.  An unassuming thinking man. I like him. :)

The woman’s (terror attack coordinator or something?) backstory is interesting too.  I am sure I will eventually get the names... there were just too many characters thrown into the melee.  And it was chaotic.  But the scene is set for the next 60days.  Other characters will float in later I am sure to add to the mix.  It’s an intriguing story.  Out of the ordinary for sure and no room for fluff.

5 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Who is the guy who asked him to sign it anyway?? For PMJ to listen. And seriously- the people had their mobile video on during that time? I mean " huh, why? For release to the public.".

Chief of Staff. He and his subordinates looked through the "next in line" list, and found PMJ as the only alive candidate. 

I bet the mobile video isn't for public, but for legal evidence that shows when PMJ became Acting President.

For public, PMJ will get all dressed up and not do it under a secret bunker.

2 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

So extra, but i have to say it, is his glasses just for fashion

He probably needs it. But not as bad. I know people who only wear glasses when they read small words or need to see something far away. So I'm guessing PMJ "can" read without glasses but doctor still recommends wearing glasses.

Thoughts from Ep 1 (I rewatched key scenes that perked my interest with the first cursory watch) - it’s long so I have put it in a spoiler :)

Spoiler

1. The whole US/Korea deal went over my head the first time but on second viewing it made more sense.  Figures which everyone just took to be truth.  Not to the Scientist PMJ.  Facts matter.  You need to double check that your presumptions (based on the facts presented) are correct BEFORE negotiations.  US wanted the emissions standards lowered by Korea so they could import more cars into Korea...their figures state that it’s not a big ask...by doing this, Korea would only be allowing an additional 25000 American cars in (from the original figure of 25000).  Mr PMJ checks the facts and proves it wrong.  That new figure if they do lower the emissions guideline would be closer to 1.5M cars in total (because of the snowball effect, all other car manufacturers would ask for this change).  More pollutants for the general populous. Initially I thought the whole bungling of the meeting where he sprayed the American delegate with the dust was just to highlight his klutzy character.  But I think it was deliberate on his part.  He was angry with the Americans and trying to prove a point.  So he sprayed the delegate with the fine dust as a sign of protest (deliberately).  :lol:.  So much for diplomacy.  It also shows us the kind of man he is.  He is not afraid to take on the “tiger” as the Minister of Economics had so aptly described the Americans. PMJ was not listening (or maybe only half listening) to the counsel of the more seasoned politicians who have played the game.  He refused to be guilted to acquiesce by the Minister of Economics who told him, “we all have jobs and children to feed”.  PMJ’s rather left field reply, “A contaminated recycled bottle cannot be recycled.  It takes tax money to dispose of.” seems to be his dig at them for not looking at the big picture.  If you allow this trade deal, it may look good in the short term but it has dire long term effects and will eventually cost the government more money (to reduce particulate matter, people off work/school because they get asthma, more money required for hospitals for patient care).  And their final analysis of him (PMJ), “I see you take public interest seriously”.  And so he should because he is in office FOR the people of Korea.  He doesn’t play the political game.  I like that because after he told both the Minister of Economics and his aide that, there’s a scene where the Minister starts to educate everyone to ‘keep their bottles clean’ so they can be recycled.  It’s a little thing in their lives but it is a reminder that they need to be responsible for their actions and take that extra bit of care because what they do/do not do in the everyday impacts the world around them.

2. Cinderella.  I was wondering why they referred to him as Cinderella man (moniker by the other politicians).  it’s all about the glass slipper in the fairy tale.  Cinderella is a nobody who ends up becoming somebody but only till the clock strikes midnight (60days here).

(A) Mr President put his own shoes on him (foreshadowing - he would literally BE IN the President’s shoes later).  He even tells him that the shoes will be uncomfortable at first (he is to keep wearing them) but after he’s gained calluses they will be comfortable (another foreshadowing - prophetic almost).  Mr President actually reminds him of those shoes as he prepares to walk out after being told to just sign on the dotted line regardless (play the political game).  PMJ pauses, glances down at the shoes, feels the weight of the responsibility of what he sees as the future for the Korean people should he sign, then turns around and beseeches the President to reconsider.  He has the gall to ‘preach’ to the President about why he was nominated in the first place.  This sentence was interesting.  Mr President asked him before, “What do Science and Politics have in common?  In both fields it’s hard to tell who is lying.”  So the Americans have their facts, the Koreans have their own facts.  Both are “true” based on their assumptions/points of reference.  What should in theory be the deciding factor?  Which one carries more weight?  It should be the one that brings ultimate good to people.  Not just to one country but to all peoples.  The moral compass should be the one that decides.  So PMJ’s comeback line outlines his core belief, “I am a Scientist.  I believe that nothing in this world is more valuable than data applied with responsibility and interpreted honestly”.   I like that Secretary Han (I assume he’s like the Chief of Staff and he survives) is in the room and overhears this conversation.  You can see that he is actually on PMJ’s side as he makes his speech and his face registers dismay and disappointment when the President opts to ignore PMJ’s advice and fires him instead.  He will be a good ally/aide.

(B) His (PMJ) secretary chides him, “this is why everyone calls you Cinderella.  You keep taking your shoes (the dress ones) off and leaving them around”.  He is uncomfortable in those shoes.  He would rather slouch about in slippers or his loafers.  The shoe doesn’t fit. :lol:.  I like that he keeps doing that.  He stays grounded.  It shows us the audience that his core values stay untainted by the veneer.  He is still the decent Atticus Finch/Jack Ryan that we can trust when the stakes are high.

(C) He has taken his Presidential shoes off before he puts his loafers back on (and changes back to normal casual attire) and heads out to pick his son/wife up after his conversation with the President.  Cinderella loses her glass slipper when she heads back to her normal existence as a maid.  The Prince finds her and only she can fit the glass slipper.  All the other Ministers died, leaving only him.  The shoe has to fit by default :lol:.  

6 hours ago, KDrM said:

He probably needs it. But not as bad. I know people who only wear glasses when they read small words or need to see something far away. So I'm guessing PMJ "can" read without glasses but doctor still recommends wearing glasses.

Yeah that would be me.  :lol:.  I am supposed to wear them when I want to do work/read but I can see just fine otherwise.  I don’t have to strain my eyes as much with the glasses on.

@Lawyerh  No I don’t think it’s just for fashion.  It makes his character more “bookish” (Scientist).  Plays on the reluctant hero image.  He may be “gun slinging” but he shoots with bottles filled with dust :lol:

Lol I was thinking of his Chief in the American version and the aborted romance with the special advisor. So the Korean chief is out with our pretty young advisor then. Must be the other guy.

JJH is dreamy. Heck who cares how wimpy PMJ is. At least I get to watch him in expensive suits. Apparently that's my expectation for the drama. I am off to rewatch " A poem a day " until ep 4 is subbed. I don't think I can stand seeing PMJ flail dramatically. Since the writer has made him more incompetent than the American version.

@ck1Oz in my opinion, the old cancer man is playing Mike. or maybe he's just an additional character (to dramatize it more i suppose. the fact that he's having cancer is unnecessary, imo) in the beginning of the US DS the chief of staff position is vacant, and thus what aaron & emily fought over. i thought son seok gu is the one playing aaron, but unfortunately emily is far out my expectation. so maybe no romance, just the cat fight

8 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

I don't think I can stand seeing PMJ flail dramatically. Since the writer has made him more incompetent than the American version.

I have never watched the American version.  I actually prefer PMJ flailing and incompetent.  It fits better with the Asian cultural norm.  Taking charge and being the impenetrable and uncompromising hero is very Western.  I like that he puked after the enormity of the task he had undertaken sunk in. I like that he at first wanted to quit and didn’t rise to the occasion straight up.  I like that his legs shook after the crisis was averted.  I like that he broke down and cried when his daughter rang him.  I liked that he seemed indecisive and lost for words most of the time, squirming in those dress shoes constantly.  It makes him very real and authentic.  In short I have fallen hook, line, sinker for this honest to goodness man who lives by a moral code and lays it all down for it.  I like that whilst everyone was posturing and trying to get the upper hand, he stayed as calm as he could and kept his humanity.  Because ultimately that was what prevailed in the end.  He reached out to the North Korean dictator from one human to another, appealing to his compassion and conscience...we lost families today, you are in danger of losing some of yours in that submarine.  At the end of the day human lives are at stake and that should count for more than any political agenda.

And the scene that gripped me most from Ep2 was the one where he was alone in the room, gets the faxed reply from the North Korean Dictator (who according to Netflix subs signed off with The Democratic Republic of Korea :o)...no North/South?  One humanity.  :).  The crew from the submarine are safe and back with their families.  He sends condolences for the South Korean losses of life.  Then as if to echo that point, PMJ gets his little girl back.  I like that he wore her hair tie all this time, reminding him constantly what mattered in life.  His integrity, his name - not just before the politicians or higher ups, but to those that mattered in his life.  His family.  You can lose your job, your reputation but if you lose your integrity, you lose what little dignity you have left to face your family who believe in you.  So yes I shed tears too when he broke down as his little girl kept asking him why he wasn’t replying. :tears: 

I really hope there is little romance in this story and if there is, it plays out between PMJ and his wife. Or other side characters. Honorable mention - his wife.  What strength!  How intrepid!  I will hold the fort down at the home front whilst you are away, I understand you are needed elsewhere, there are bigger things at play here.  No whining, no demands, just fully supportive of her husband when the chips are down.  Bravo.  :wub:

EDIT - I assume the “cancer” man referenced by @shinuuuuuuu is Secretary Han?  I have no context coz I didn’t watch the American version.  Does he have cancer?  They talked about the potential for brain infarction and that doesn’t sound like cancer to me, more like hypertension/high blood pressure.  Which is why they discouraged him from going back after he fainted.  Highly stressful situations are not conducive for people with unmanaged high blood pressure.  He didn’t seem to be regularly taking his pills (had headaches a lot).

@shinuuuuuuu yeah it sounds more like high blood pressure (this is purely guessing from what I am seeing and not with any tests done etc).  He’s not managing it.  Which is why he keeps getting headaches.  They warned him at the hospital that he was in danger of a brain(cerebral) infarction which is basically a “stroke” (parts of your brain die because of a blood clot stopping oxygen from getting there).  People with high blood pressure have a high risk of that.  Yes some cancer patients do too but the most common cause is high blood pressure which a lot of Asians have.  His very stressful job isn’t ideal...long hours, little sleep, irregular (and probably unhealthy) meals.  Maybe he does have cancer, I guess we will find out. :)

Just finished ep 1 & 2. Hooked! Never watch the american version so will not comment on the difference between them.

Ep 1 was kinda of confusing, 1st 30min or so, n rewatched it to understd better. PJM survived was more like a lucky draw. In kdrama land of logics, one cannot over analysed the situation else it will start to leak everwhere. Cos wondering why secretary han was not with Pres Yang.  Like ep 2 esp when PJM got into his element of data n facts, unlike the emotional army personnels who seems to just wanr to start a bar fight.

Love how the drama is being paced n ep 3 looks like it will be another emotional upheaval for PJM n his team. Really enjoying both Designated Survivor n Chief Of Staff, the quick thinking leads n plots twists n stellar casting. A ha ha moment seeing Pres Yang, he has done well from Chief to Designated:D

3 hours ago, KDrM said:

@Lawyerh  yeah, I'm hoping there is no romance except for his wife.

Spoiler* 

Hide contents

I think I read somewhere that the American version has his wife dying then he romances his female secretary. 

In the American version there was no romance for the President other than his wife. There was a hint of something but it was always his wife. 

1 hour ago, tarjig said:

There was a hint of something but it was always his wife. 

Oh, Thank God. Thank you for the information.

I'm going to delete my spoiler then.

5 hours ago, KDrM said:
  7 hours ago, tarjig said:

There was a hint of something but it was always his wife. 

Yeah wouldn’t go down well with me at all if they sparked some office romance with his secretary.  Would totally ruin his family man image (especially since there are children involved) and it would decimate my respect for him as a man worthy to stand in the President’s shoes.  Men of integrity do not cheat on their wives or betray the trust of their children. If they stay true to themselves in private (working long hours with his secretary alone away from public scrutiny would give them ample opportunities to have a secret affair :mellow:), then chances are they would stick to those same morals in the public scene when all eyes are upon them.  If the writer wants us the audience to take him seriously then he has to stay squeaky clean in that arena... the secretary may secretly crush on him (I mean look at the man that he is, who wouldn’t :lol:), but he has to steer well away from adultery.  

11 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

@nrllee @KDrM Yeah hope hes not doing adultery. Who will trust such a politician? But i think he will at least got temptation? 

Yeah he’d hardly be human if he weren’t tempted.  BUT like you said, he needs to do the right thing when those temptations are thrown at him (be it lust, greed, power).  That’s the true test of his mettle.  Not that he didn’t struggle at all, but that he struggled and prevailed

In the American version Kirkman's wife had already died. The person involved was not a secretary but more of a consultant.  But there was only friendship.  He was still mourning his wife. The K-version is only following the bases of the American drama.  The biggest difference came at the beginning. 

Kirkman knew he was a designated survivor.  Their daughter was not injured nor at the scene. The staff was shell shocked but did not try to take power or make him a puppet right from the start.  

I love Ji Jin-hee! I hope this drama becomes a hit for him. And even  though I point out the things I don't like in each episode, I am enjoying the drama.

At first i thought the actor ji jin hee is similar to the actor in the drama Different Dreams... yeo ji tae... both have the height but ji jin hee  probably has a more smiley personality.

Cant wait to see Acting President Park gets more confident and 'presidential' as the drama progressed...

Archived