[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

0ly40

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, triplem said:

Lol! I do too  though right now I’m still trying to figure out if he’s the mastermind behind the bombing . My gut feelings is no because the more obvious Agent Han highlights it , the more it’s unlikely the case ; OCN dramas taught me this :lol:

Well... they can always pull a double bluff... Throw out red herrings and then come back to the original suspect at the 11th hour. On the one hand, it does seem obvious and very early to have such revelations but then they could do a Columbo on us... tell us who the perps are early on but not give us the motive and then we have to work out how they can catch him. Voice (an OCN drama with 3 seasons) did that kind of stuff as well. :D ;)

Moreover he may not be the mastermind... he could just be a co-conspirator. On the other hand, someone might be using him for misdirection. There were other people not there on that day. Assemblywoman Oh, I think is worthy of some suspicion. She's very savvy and she was very much against President Yang's reunification platform. The thing is though, I don't know how ruthless or idealistic she is. Is she the kind of person capable of doing something like this?

I doubt it's the N.Korean leadership per se behind it though. It could be a combination of people on both sides of the DMZ that don't want this treaty to happen. But it does feel like Pyongyang wants to have a relationship with the South.

I noticed someone mentioning how they liked the geopolitical aspect to it. I do as well. That's another aspect to the show I find more fascinating than the local politicking. I was especially interested in the Cambodian angle because I was there earlier in the year doing the tourist thing.

The show definitely has a lot potential... plenty of balls in the air... How well the writer maintains the juggling act will determine how well this turns out.

I just realised it’s been less than 4 days he has been in the hot seat , and already he’s made a couple of executive decisions & “fired”  the former Chief Secretary . I’m waiting for the moment when he realises he wants this power . 

Not just realising he wants the power but also what it takes from him to hold on to it as well. He can see that it can be used for good but he needs to learn to be deft about it. It's a double-edged sword. He could end up cutting himself while scoring victories. Unless of course he sees himself as some kind of self-sacrificing, suffering messiah. :P

As for OYS... if I were in any kind of position to do so, I'd vote for him to be president just for looking so darn good in uniform. :D

Another good episode it was, Ep 5.  

I need some clarification though. Who were those in the picture found by Pres Park's son in his mother's (the First Lady) purse?  I couldn't recognize them nor make sense why the son asked if the President has ever lied to him after seeing the picture. 

3 hours ago, mel22 said:

Another good episode it was, Ep 5.  

I need some clarification though. Who were those in the picture found by Pres Park's son in his mother's (the First Lady) purse?  I couldn't recognize them nor make sense why the son asked if the President has ever lied to him after seeing the picture. 

it look likes his mom and other man. his mother was pregnant in the picture

Episode 5 clarified lot of things. especially YS motive if he is the mastermind of the bombing.

16 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Assemblywoman Oh, I think is worthy of some suspicion. She's very savvy and she was very much against President Yang's reunification platform. The thing is though, I don't know how ruthless or idealistic she is. Is she the kind of person capable of doing something like this?

I doubt it's the N.Korean leadership per se behind it though. It could be a combination of people on both sides of the DMZ that don't want this treaty to happen. But it does feel like Pyongyang wants to have a relationship with the South.

I have doubt on Assemblywoman Oh from the start. Why must of all the days, she decided to boycott the president and not going to the National Assembly on D-day. As if she knows what is happening. She also know how to manipulate the public views on her the very night after the incident. Like come on, if she is really shock she must think on her political status first and not the victims. 

I think in this story, they are using N. Korea to become scapegoat. My guess is it relates to the issue with the US exports. Like somebody behind the scene (may already shown or may not) wants to make North and South at war and monopolized something. 

I hope non of the prepators/mastermind.spy are from the blue house staffs (sec Cha, press officer Kim, sec Jeong and the specky protocol guy) and not Chief Sec too,.

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Watching the subbed eps now .....doesn't the last sentence uttered by Oh YS to the dead president's picture raise some suspicion  - I won't let this be in vain. It can really be interpreted in so many ways ( and of course I could be overreading it). One which has been playing in my head is that he did indeed plan this. In spite of 'proof' that he went out to pick up a call from the war veteran, it could all have been very cleverly set up.And someone like OYS could easily survive this - after all the man is a war vet who has gone through a lot.  I don't know , but doesn't his speech sound like he has this messianic complex/ tendency? I am speculating of course , but based on what his navy colleague said to Han, there is a possibility that he and the war vets may all have been very upset that the government etc had abandoned them 7 years ago during that Battle of Bangyeong (not sure of the spelling) , and they could have been disappointed with how the country has become and thus this is their plan to "save'' the nation. I'd like to find out what led Oh YS into politics  :D

I pick that also up. It made him more suspicious to me. 

OYS friend also has some kind of ptsd so that could also be a factor of OYS to plan this kind of save of nation. 

How much OYS must hate his country? I mean they were literally left to fight they own 7 years ago. The country didn't care if they came back alive or not.

I watched the American version, and wonder how close the Korean version will stick to the original script.  I understand that certain circumstances will be different based on Korea's government structure, culture, and adversaries.  However, if it sticks to the original premise, then North Korea is not the blame for the terrorist attack. 

I binge watched the season 1 of the American version a few weeks back.

So far a majority of the plotline for the Korean version had followed quite closely to the American version. 

It is quite identical and predictable. 

So by ep.5, I can be quite sure of the characters behind the bombing. :joy:

7 hours ago, ryanallright said:

I binge watched the season 1 of the American version a few weeks back.

So far a majority of the plotline for the Korean version had followed quite closely to the American version. 

It is quite identical and predictable. 

So by ep.5, I can be quite sure of the characters behind the bombing. :joy:

Can you share it in spoiler... i want to know of my hunch is right. 

This drama is so good yet not manyvtalking about it. Even in Twitter there’s so little news about this show. It’s not a hype drama and i am sad. Coz the content is soooo gooood. 

Done watching Ep 6. I hope by next week, we can get Han Na Gyeong to contact the Blue House and report to the president on her findings. As of now I think she and her team are working in Silo and the President  is unaware of the crucial evidence she had found so far. 

Now, it is kinda confirm that Assemblyman Oh is behind the bombing. But the more important thing is either he is the mastermind or he is just a commander and there is someone else behind him who is the great mastermind. His character is very shady, one minute he showed us that he wants difference and seems to like Park Mu Jin and another minute, with that sly smirk he makes us do believe he is the culprit. 

One thing I am quite sure. Him, assemblywoman Yoon and the Seoul Mayor have something to do with the bombing one way or another as each of them have their own motive to do that. 

Ok let me spoil a bit.

But of course, there are still some differences between two versions, especially based what I observed after 6 episodes when there were more characters in Korean version.

Spoiler

Based on what I observed so far

Oh Young Seok is Korean version Peter MacLeish who is also the sole survivor of the American version who later became Vice President (in this case, for Korean should be the Prime Minister as they do not have the role of Vice President).

If the Korean version does follow the American version closely, he would be the member of the organisation that is behind the bombing. But I am not sure how closely it will be as the American version was killed off by the mid-season after being discovered to be part of this bombing plot.

Han Joo Seung is a character which I could not find in American version. so he is a unique one.

Cha Young Jin is Korean version Aaron Stone.

Jung Soo Jung is Korean version Emily Rhodes

Kim Nam Wook is Korean version Seth Wright

Yoon Chan Kyung is Korean version Kimble Hookstraten

Seoul Mayor Kang is based loosely to the American version as both of them use police forces to oppress a certain group.

However, the difference is that the American version got arrested for treason while Mayor Kang is still in the running to be the Presidential candidate for the current ruling party.

Some other similar plotline

Agent Han investigating of Oh 

Firing of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (ep.5)

Death of the commanding officer of the operation (ep.6)

Agent Han lost her fiance in the plot (Agent Wells also lost hers in the American version)

In the toilet scene, Kim Nam Wook talking about his lack of confidence in the acting president (ep.2)

Kim Nam Wook taking over as the spokeman of the administration

Thinking if there is a season 2, it should be Park coming out to declare that he will run for president.

TLDR. LOL

Just watched Ep5.  Still keeping me interested and invested in the characters. :) 

Thoughts

1. Siwan (?) (son of PMJ).  I like PMJ’s approach as a dad.  He’s a consistent man.  Doesn’t fly off the handle.  Doesn’t jump to conclusions.  Always giving you the benefit of the doubt.  Innocent till proven guilty.  I wonder what his answer was to Siwan’s question, “you’ve never lied to me before right dad?” Poor boy.  I can only imagine what’s going on in his head.  Did mom have an affair?  Am I the son of another man?  Does dad know?  If he doesn’t, should I tell him?  He’s already under so much pressure as the Acting President.  This would crush him.  :tears:  He’s very protective of his dad.  As his mother hinted, the fight he got into was because some other kid made fun of PMJ at school.

2. I liked how PMJ sought comfort in his wife’s hand as they walked out of the car at the funeral.  Then she responded in kind after they sat down.

3. I am with most here who suspect Oh.  He is bitter that the nation left them for dead at the Battle.  The PTSD suffered by the soldiers would only harden his resolve.  Doesn’t look like the nation supported the soldiers on return either if he (and not some medical professional) was the lifeline for the Private (?) with PTSD?  But he seems to be too obvious a choice?  Especially when someone is feeding information to Agent Han like they are trying to pin it on him?  It’s definitely NOT North Korea.  They wouldn’t go down that path, not when real life peace talks are tenuous at best.  It would be unpatriotic.  Certainly Assemblywoman Yoon and Mayor Kang can’t be ruled out.

4. Sec Han...or should I refer to him as ex Sec?  The camera made a point of zooming in on a pic on the mantle behind him as he was watching the TBN news interview... a girl in a wheelchair with a drip attached to her (she’s obviously sick)?  It was very quick and I can’t make out if she’s young or old...maybe daughter?  Wife?  There’s a story there.  Could he be the curve ball?  The man behind it all?

5. Love the blossoming office romance between Cha and Soo Jung.  I like how she turned him down...come on, chicken and beer?  He’s gotta do better than that?  :lol:.  I think he knew that too after their conversation.  Love how she gifted him with Instant Noodles as a congratulatory present.  She’s not a woman to be pitied.  She may have lost the job to him but she’s not going to wallow.  She still has her pride.  :wub:  Keep chasing Cha, she’s impressed that’s for sure, but she doesn’t give in easy, you have to keep wooing her.  :lol:

25 minutes ago, nrllee said:

4. Sec Han...or should I refer to him as ex Sec?  The camera made a point of zooming in on a pic on the mantle behind him as he was watching the TBN news interview... a girl in a wheelchair with a drip attached to her (she’s obviously sick)?  It was very quick and I can’t make out if she’s young or old...maybe daughter?  Wife?  There’s a story there.  Could he be the curve ball?  The man behind it all?

5. Love the blossoming office romance between Cha and Soo Jung.  I like how she turned him down...come on, chicken and beer?  He’s gotta do better than that?  :lol:.  I think he knew that too after their conversation.  Love how she gifted him with Instant Noodles as a congratulatory present.  She’s not a woman to be pitied.  She may have lost the job to him but she’s not going to wallow.  She still has her pride.  :wub:  Keep chasing Cha, she’s impressed that’s for sure, but she doesn’t give in easy, you have to keep wooing her.  :lol:

I totally missed that scene with the photo. I have go back and watch it.  But he could be the curve ball. There is something about him that I don't like. But it could also be that I'm over thinking.

I totally ship Cha and Soojung. This drama need little bit new romance..

something stuck me when watching episode 6. 

OYS was fitting he's new suit and the fitter asked who is the higher up he was talking. OYS was talking with the President park but he answered to the fitter that some who doesn't belong/fit in the blue house. What did he mean by that? 

Does he think he's  the better match. I actually want to know how does he justifies what he has done to the people if he would be elected to president. Would he say that I'm going to save this nation that's why to people had to die It is really intresting.

He's involved in the bombing for sure but is he the big bad guy. I don't think so.

38 minutes ago, joccu said:

I totally ship Cha and Soojung. This drama need little bit new romance..

something stuck me when watching episode 6. 

OYS was fitting he's new suit and the fitter asked who is the higher up he was talking. OYS was talking with the President park but he answered to the fitter that some who doesn't belong/fit in the blue house. What did he mean by that? 

Does he think he's  the better match. I actually want to know how does he justifies what he has done to the people if he would be elected to president. Would he say that I'm going to save this nation that's why to people had to die It is really intresting.

He's involved in the bombing for sure but is he the big bad guy. I don't think so.

I like when Sec Cha is excited to get the gift and how he cursed himself for asking her out wrong way. 

About OYS, that is why I said he is such hard to read character and the actor just makes the character alive. We want to curse him but on the other side, we sympathize him. I hope his true colours will reveal soon. What ever it is. 

55 minutes ago, joccu said:

OYS was talking with the President park but he answered to the fitter that some who doesn't belong/fit in the blue house. What did he mean by that? 

He was implying that he didn’t think PMJ has what it takes to be the President.

Ep6

Oh is still hard to read.  He seemed to love the attention when he was asked into the room as they were watching the troops capture Myeong(?).  Then there was that little smirk at the end when they were informed of the casualty?  It’s as if he was dismayed that the operation went smoothly and Myeong was captured alive...and then a little gleeful (?) that it didn’t exactly go without a hitch?  Maybe I read it wrong. :lol:  I just found that everyone in that room reacted as you would to the news...everyone except him.

Room 119... has all the 9-11 vibes... :tears: Bomb shelter.  Everything is kinda pointing towards Oh...but it just seems too convenient.  :lol: Yes I question the obvious.

Sec Han looks to be welcomed back at the end of Ep6... I don’t think Mayor Kang is the mastermind... he’s been too small a character to suddenly leap back into the limelight again as the mastermind?

So I still feel Oh, Assemblywoman Yoon, Sec Han are my main suspects.  Who is the informant?  Agent Han’s fiancé’s body was never found.  He faked his death to continue his undercover operations?  Is he working undercover?  Someone who knew where she lived rang her from the phone booth.  Was it him?  :o

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Ep6

Oh is still hard to read.  He seemed to love the attention when he was asked into the room as they were watching the troops capture Myeong(?).  Then there was that little smirk at the end when they were informed of the casualty?  It’s as if he was dismayed that the operation went smoothly and Myeong was captured alive...and then a little gleeful (?) that it didn’t exactly go without a hitch?  Maybe I read it wrong. :lol:  I just found that everyone in that room reacted as you would to the news...everyone except him.

Yeah I saw that scene the same. Like he was dissappointed that Myeong is still alive. I mean everyone still suspect that Myeong and north korea was behind the bombing. So Myeong being alive they can now question him and maybe find some truth. If Myeong have died the truth would have been buried with him.

8 minutes ago, triplem said:

This is my concern as well that there's some unnecessary birth secret ( k-makjang style :unsure:) . The teenager is dealing with enough as it is with a father who doesn't have the usual dad job. He really doesn't need to struggle with his identity. I am very happy to see how supportive the wife is , and she is his rock in these trying times. So even if everything is thrown at Park , I would like him to at least have his family intact and not have to deal with family problems

I second this.  I want his family to stay intact.  The moments between his wife and he were very sweet.  They have an understanding forged by years of trust.  I would hate to see that destroyed by what is suggested in that pic.  I hope it’s a red herring.  :grimace:  I did kinda think it weird that there was such a big age gap between brother and sister and he seemed so detached from her when she kept trying to engage him upon her return from hospital.

Archived