Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

Also I get the feeling PMJ is going to go off script for his opening address to the nation?  His North Korean defector Speechwriter may or may not approve :lol:.  Maybe he can blame it on his glasses.  He took them off.  I am sure there will be script prompts scrolling up next to the camera in front for him to read (they all do so they can actually look at the camera instead of looking down at the printed scripts) but he can feign “blurry vision” and go off script.  We’ll see. :huh:

EDIT - looks like I guessed right about LJH’s character.  His interview said this (source https://www.soompi.com/article/1332475wpp/lee-joon-hyuk-explains-why-he-decided-to-appear-in-new-korean-remake-of-designated-survivor).  I haven’t read any of the previous pages of this thread so I may be repeating someone else)

In the upcoming drama, Lee Joon Hyuk will play the role of Oh Young Seok, a former naval officer and independent member of the National Assembly. Oh Young Seok is a rising political star who receives love and attention from the public due to his confident way of speaking, self-assured facial expressions, handsome face, and innate leadership skills.

Lee Joon Hyuk explained that he decided to appear in the drama because he had been drawn to the character’s complexity. “Oh Young Seok is someone who stands somewhere in the middle of what most people believe to be the definitions of good and evil,” said the actor. “I found it appealing that the character’s influences and his future direction were unknown.”

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

Posted (edited)

@nrllee @jongski I won’t be completely surprised if LJH’s character had a hand in the bombing but for now I think he’ll just be a political rival whom people will root for in these perilous times due to his military/ navy background. Seems like he’s already seen as a hero according to the character description given by TVN below ( I used Papago translation, so care needed , but the jisc is there)  In eps 2 , remember the military general brought up the  Battle of Baengnyeong. He fought in that battle . 

His  intentions are unclear but according to the character chart , Kang Hana’s character is suspicious of him :D

Spoiler

Oh Young-seok (Nam, early 40s) / Lee Joon-hyuk
a graduate of the Naval Academy / a leading member of the Battle of Baengnyeong / an independent lawmaker

Self-confident language, a confident expression, and great affinity for disarming opponents in an instant. And a natural soldier, a natural leader, whose mission is to dedicate himself to the community. a congenital power addict Like a scene from a Hollywood movie, it is equipped with a beautiful boy visual of naval conquest.
With strict living standards, he has so far lived a life that is just as disorganized as when he was an officer, such as fitness, ironing his suit and polishing his shoes every morning. The sexy tension of a man who does not neglect himself is attractive.
When it became known that Oh Young-seok was a former youth officer in the Battle of Baengnyeong, which was the first victory in a naval battle with North Korea since the Korean War, amid widespread anxiety and fear that North Korea might be behind the attacks. Characters, stories, and fantasies are all complete. 
If Mujin has won people's trust around practical policies, Oh Young-seok begins to win people's hearts with his aura and powerful charisma.

Edited by triplem
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 2

Yeah @triplem that’s exactly how I envisaged his character to be.  A decorated hero figure.  Easy on the eye.  People look for a hero in times of crisis and he fits the bill perfectly.  He’s not a geeky Environmental Scientist (PMJ) who always looks like a fish out of water and way out of his depth.  LJH is oozing self confidence, disciplined (one article mentioned he lost 9kg for this role :o - guess he trimmed down and lived a regimental Marine type life to get into the role) so people would gravitate towards him as they seek stability.  He’s going to be a tough rival.  And yes to him potentially being the mastermind behind the bombing.  He’s an independent, up and coming political figure so he would give PMJ and the lady opposition party leader a run for their money.

I need to go back and read all the previous pages of this thread to catch up on character/relationship charts etc. :lol:

EDIT - They seem to have updated the lines for the chart on tVN page...no more red line between KHN and LJH?  It’s not showing upf132060898000052044(0).jpg

This was the original from original post by triplem in page 3 of the thread.  

the blue lines generally indicate - trust, allies, political aides. The red ones - rivalry ( btwn JJH and LJH), suspicion ( btwn Kang Hana and LJH)”

• Like 7

On 7/5/2019 at 12:28 PM, Lawyerh said:

Acting President Park Moo-jin, we can't stand back or run anymore. The real culprits of the Capitol terror slowly beginning to reveal their bodies in front of them. And the accomplices, the prosecution, the press, the chaebol. And Cheong Wa Dae, someone... Begin to seduce Mujin. Get your hands on us. My power can give you power.

I punched this into Papago and translated it to Chinese (usually translates better because it does a better job of metaphors and grammar).  There was no “Cheong WaDae or someone” in the Chinese translation.  Instead the gist of it is “...and a particular person...they all try to seduce PMJ.  Join hands with us they say, our power can give you power”.  So in other words, now that he’s in the hot seat, they are all trying to sweet talk him whilst he wields that power.  Not sure if the “particular person” is that mystery person in the character chart with no face?  :huh:

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted (edited)

@nrllee ooo they removed that line. So the script has been altered perhaps.  They want us to keep guessing then :lol:

I am just wondering given the large ensemble cast they have here, tvn may have plans to extend this - have a second season. Chief of Staff ( also a Netflix original) has Season 2 lined up for November ( though this was pre-planned ) . TvN did not commit yet perhaps they are testing waters and seeing the response.

Anyway I just completed the subbed eps and I love mr Acting President. No doubt he isn't a seasoned politician but I  like  how he goes back to his roots of using fact and data in making decisions rather than basing them purely on sentiments and emotions. I was so moved in the last scene when he spoke to his daughter on the phone. He may feel inadequate but he and his team had a small victory of sorts - at least for now the external relations with the US and NK are not such  big concerns. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 7
  • Awesome 3

13 hours ago, nrllee said:

although of all the numbers/dates to pick it was strange to pick the one on her judo (?) jacket

I think that's when he got crush on her. He might have told her about it. 

It could be significant to him since that's the moment he found the love of his life, in which changed his life significantly. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

They seem to have updated the lines for the chart on tVN page

Either they changed the script or they don't want to spoiler the plot since viewers will start to guess using the hints given in the chart.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

wipe ur droll ok...

I need a bucket...he better appear next week or I'll be rioting :P

Recap and review on Forbes. Netflix is doing quite a bit to promote this. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2019/07/05/designated-survivor-gets-a-korean-twist-with-designated-survivor-60-days/#79a558e2424c

Spoiler

‘Designated Survivor’ Gets A Korean Twist With ‘Designated Survivor: 60 Days’

Joan MacDonald Contributor 
Hollywood & Entertainment
I'm a journalist fascinated by Korean drama and film.

Ji Jin Hee plays Park Mu Jin, the South Korean government’s minister of the environment, in Designated Survivor: 60 Days, a Korean remake of the multi-season U.S. political thriller Designated Survivor, starring Kiefer Sutherland. The first thing viewers might notice about this character is that his shoes hurt.

Park Mu Jin wore more comfortable footwear when he taught environmental studies, before he was recruited to join the government. He took the job because he was promised that he might help protect the environment, but it’s not the best fit. When the president gives Park some formal footwear, he tells him that the shoes may hurt at first but he’ll get used to them. That turns out to be an understatement.

At first, both the shoes and his role in the government irritate him. Park likes facts and science. He does not really understand the posturing or power plays involved in politics. He refuses to accept trade agreements that would add to his nation’s air pollution, rejecting false statistics on the safety of imported autos with lower U.S. emission standards.  Disgusted with the fact that a purely political deal might result in polluting his country’s air, he quits his ministerial position. Before his paperwork is processed all the other government officials are killed in an explosion at the National Assembly building in Seoul. As the only surviving minister, he becomes the acting president. Not only does he have to get used to wearing formal shoes every day but the shy, retiring Park must learn to stand up for what he believes in, when he’s not even sure what to do next. He has 60 days until the next election.

Since Park lacks experience, he’s urged to listen to others rather than consider the facts. After he becomes president, the stakes are high. He must decide on a possible military strike against North Korea, urged on by his generals, and consider the possibility of a breach in the tense relationship with American forces, who threaten to withdraw their support. Without strong leadership, there’s the potential for a military coup, but his sound instincts may not survive political bulldozing in a time of chaos.

While Park’s vulnerable government struggles to maintain order, the secret service seeks those who set off the terrible explosion. Was it North Korea? Could it be the opposition party, who survived the explosion because they chose that day not to attend in protest of the president’s talk? There are plenty of suspects and they may strike again.

The Korean adaptation was made by Studio Dragon Corporation for CJ E&M's TVN. The original U.S. version won TV Guide and Critic’s Choice television awards. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Awesome 4

@triplem@nrllee and others... I don't like romance  for PMJ but what about Lee Joon Hyuk's character.. and the NIS agent???

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, jongski said:

@triplem@nrllee and others... I don't like romance  for PMJ but what about Lee Joon Hyuk's character.. and the NIS agent???

yeah I could totally see that lee joon hyuk character and the NSi agent would happen. but I don't think that the HAn Na Kyung is thinking about new romance if her fiance is really dead. She's full on finding out what happened and why. But I totally think lee joon hyuk character( Oh Young-Seok) and NSi agent (Han Na Kyung )will cross path more than once. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, triplem said:

He refuses to accept trade agreements that would add to his nation’s air pollution, rejecting false statistics on the safety of imported autos with lower U.S. emission standards.  Disgusted with the fact that a purely political deal might result in polluting his country’s air, he quits his ministerial position. 

Forbes reporter Joan McDonald needs to do her research.  He was fired.  He didn’t quit. :huh:

1 hour ago, joccu said:

yeah I could totally see that lee joon hyuk character and the NSi agent would happen. but I don't think that the HAn Na Kyung is thinking about new romance if her fiance is really dead. She's full on finding out what happened and why. But I totally think lee joon hyuk character( Oh Young-Seok) and NSi agent (Han Na Kyung )will cross path more than once. 

Yeah it would be kinda weird for her to leap into another relationship.  She’d be burnt from the last one.  And given LJH’s character is shifty the poor woman would risk being betrayed a second time?  So I feel like she would cross paths with LJH and they would butt heads (tension of a different sort).  She’s the best person to possess the “yet to be proven evidence” pointing the finger at her fiancé as the traitor.  Had anyone else gotten it, chances are he would just be implicated because everyone just wants the case solved and closed. She on the other hand doesn’t want to believe it so she will be more inclined to dig deeper to prove his innocence.  So I feel she would be all out doggedly trying to clear her fiancé’s name whilst LJH may well just want to pin it on him (potentially using him as a means to gain the people’s trust). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@triplem we do share the same taste in drama ... lol

I haven't fully watch the first 2 episodes... since i want to finish the first season in the US series. So this is in truth is my kinda fav theme drama... i've seen west wings, madame secretary, commander in chief, news room and houee of cards ... so this remake is not going to miss it with bonus (especially this) LJH is here along with SSK. 

In this korean version the president daughter is killed by the bomb too?? I will be back when im done watching the episodes. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

I have been checking Twitter & IG like mad ...omg , he’s precious face finally graces our screen . 

Spoiler

He survived the bombing! No wonder he’ll be made a hero .

@Lawyerh @Ameera Ali I’m so happy even though he’s injured  :joy:

Edited by triplem
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted (edited)

Preview ! Yeah more LJH scenes 

So is it too premature to rule him out as mastermind behind the bombing since it seems his a victim too? 

edit : Netflix has been quick to release the eps...just an hour or so after the SK airing

translation of preview

Yoon Chang Kyung voice over (opposition leader) - It’s quite interesting. Someone becomes a beacon of hope just for being alive . And another gains the highest power in Korea just for being alive 

Agent Han  - Isn’t it weird ? No one survived the collapse . Assemblyman’s Kim location at the time is unexplainable.   ( Who’s A. kim ?  ) 

kim Nam Wook ( speechwriter) - Don’t you know his political career will be over if this gets out ? 

Acting president  - It’s my decision. I will take responsibility 

Cha Young Jin ( during the blackout )  -What’s happening? 

KNW - It’s the Blue House . It seems like the Blue House is the target this time. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, triplem said:

Agent Han  - Isn’t it weird ? No one survived the collapse . Assemblyman’s Kim location at the time is unexplainable.   ( Who’s A. kim ?  ) 

kim Nam Wook ( speechwriter) - Don’t you know his political career will be over if this gets out ? 

Acting president  - It’s my decision. I will take responsibility 

Awe, NW worrying about MJ's political career. I think MJ has earned NW's loyalty!

NK said YS's (not Kim, she said Oh.) location is suspicious and doesn't make sense. She wants to discuss it with the Blue House (I guess?).

But NW is worried (because that will show that MJ was not there at all? He's the only one who didn't attend, which will make him look bad and suspicious?) 

MJ agreed with NK's plan anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, KDrM said:

NK said YS's (not Kim, she said Oh.) location is suspicious and doesn't make sense. She wants to discuss it with the Blue House (I guess?

That’s what I was wondering cuz the Netflix translation kept saying Kim & I repeated it a few times . :sweatingbullets: 

Edited to add

Edited by triplem
  • LOL 5

15 minutes ago, triplem said:

That’s what I was wondering cuz the Netflix translation kept saying Kim & I repeated it a few times . :sweatingbullets: 

Oh great, official translation is wrong. I hope they fix it in actual episode.

• LOL 4

Just saw Ep 3 over Netflix and it didn't disappoint.  We finally get to see LJH, albeit very briefly. 

The political push and pull continues to excite,  but the minor characters are the ones  who really suck me in. I love the speechwriter aka Kim Nam Wook, BH Chief Han and Cha Young Jin (the BH secretary).  Am still guessing where their loyalties lie.  

Looking forward to Ep 4 tonight. Can't wait to finally meet LJH's character. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1