[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

45 minutes ago, yoeda said:

Isn't this rule apply on woman in that era? Never knew about man.

The Moon that Embraces the Sun Ep 06.avi_003112412

Sangtu (상투): This was the ordinary hairstyle for the men of the Joseon Dynasty, especially among the noblemen and the scholars. The hair was pulled into a topknot and a headband, manggeon, was used to hold the hair in place. Manggeon was also used to hold the headgears in place. The topknot was a sign of manhood for the men since they would start to wear their hair into a topknot when they got married, as they used to marry at a young age

Chuno.E11.100211.HDTV.XviD-UDiNG.avi_002026559

Minsangtu (민상투): It’s the topknot for the lower class men and its difference compared to sangtu was the absence of manggeon.

I learned about the different hairstyle when watching Scarlet Heart Ryeo when I noticed the princes has different hairstyles. Some of them had the topknot and others had their hair down. Then one of the forummer told me about the hair indicates their different marital status. Married men will hair tied up into topknot while young boys/unmarried man will have their hair let down. Later in drama, I realized Wang Eun, Wang So and Wang Jung changed their hairstyle when they got married. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, melp said:

Oh the OTP feel 

Starting from episode 8, I can see a Hwi that truly longs a future with HJ. The way he gently holds her hand and tells her about not wanting to wake up from a dream of good memories, the way he kisses her...See, life is so much easier when he lets her in. 

But sadly, that's also when the tragedy begins again.

We can see he's finally welcoming her to his life, that's when things started to be peaceful finally, it was the calm that preceded the storm. Such a dynamic and tragic drama not allowing us to take a breath and enjoy happy moments fully to shock us with the next. I'm looking forward to today's episode, in that regard, I want to see how HJ consoles and supports Hwi.

Seems they will part ways in the end and maybe a time leap that takes us to the very first scene of the drama: Hwi vs. Sunho. I'm already excited! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

She and Sunho were not a romantic couple, but their scenes were somehow 

warm and lively.  :wub:

I was actually rooting for them to be a couple in the future because I think Seun-ho may eventually grow to love her as he's already protective of her. Also, among everyone else, it is Yeon who sees the good in Seun-ho and actually calms him down in a way. Seun-ho is the kind of person who needs someone who believes in him so he doesn't completely go over to the dark side. Yeon does that for Seun-ho so it's sad that what happened to her.

I just watched the rest of Episode 9 and yes, I agree with everyone. Sun-ho's face when he learned that Hwi is still alive is grade A acting. 

Also, I agree with everyone else who thinks that Seun-ho should have left his father and gone over to Bang-won's side along with Hwi. However, his character is written such that he's full of resentment over his entire life that his sole goal is to gain power to make up for those ill feelings he's always had. He won't be able to accomplish his goal without his father who is close to the king. Remember when he told Hwi not to destroy his family? I think it's because Seun-ho's family name will help him gain power. Without Nam Jeon, Seun-ho would just be an illegitimate son and he will be treated like Hwi. He doesn't like being treated like that anymore so he wants to be in power. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, cheezukaeku said:

I came to this forum just to write that I cannot believe we went through all that just to end up with Yeon dead :tears:

The most innocent one and also the most vulnerable.

Hwi has quality of a warrior but he doesn't become one by his own choice - he is forced to become one. He wants to walk away and has a peaceful life; however I am sure Yeon's death will set him to a very different and much darker path. 

Oh my, Yeon thinks about Seon Ho even in her last breath. :tears: And Hee Jae tells Seon Ho that Yeon waited for him until the end - it breaks him. Damn, I am crying when Seon Ho cries. Terrific acting from both actors.

Lady Seol also passes away. It is really an episode of loss and pain for all three main leads :dissapointed_relieved:

I also notice Seon Ho has the band Yeon made for him wrapped around his sword. Like how Hwi has Hee Jae's bandage around his bow all the time now. Such symbol of affections are still around until the scene of the First Strike of Princes in episode 1.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Packed with melancholy, sad episode indeed, left me with a deeeep impression. 

The one scene that really touched my heart was when Hwi put on the pink shoes on Yeon, and it was followed by the second pair as well. Korean version of Cinderella, wearing it as a dead body. I couldn't help but shed tears. 

I'll come back later to share my thoughts :tears:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, liltash85 said:

History cannot be written and Korean is known to follow history as close as possible. They won't change fact. And we know Bang Won is the winner of this war. The queen will die/be killed later and King Taejo (Yi Seong Gye) will die because of heartache. So, I am afraid Seon Ho will not get his happy ending. Don't get me wrong, I like him and I want he mend his bromance with Hwi but it seems impossible now. That short moment when they work together to fight those royal guards, I want more of that. I want them to fight on the same side. My heart can't bear to see that they will yield their swords towards each other. 

I'm actually watching this drama with the idea that Seon Ho is gonna die so it wouldn't hurt that much when it happens later. This guy just won't survive historically speaking and even if he is he won't still get a happy ending again historically speaking :( :( :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Done watching episode 10 on Netflix at 2am! OMG I cannot stop crying for the first 45 minutes. This episode is much sadder than yesterday’s. Yeon’s death really affected both Hwi and Seon Ho. She is Hwi only family that he sacrificed so much to protect and to Seon Ho, she is the only person who like him and trusted him.

Nam Jeon has made himself 2 heartless enemies and for the first time I saw him fear of Seon Ho when he changed after Yeon’s death. It’s like he knows he either died in the hands of Hwi or his own son. 

I’m glad the queen is dead (one enemy down)  but definitely the queen didn’t do as what Bang won asked her to do because the crown prince is still living in the palace and not being extradited. 

Yi Bang Won is the most patience character in this drama. He ‘calmly’ stayed by his father’s side. Seeing his youngest brother as crown prince, seeing his biggest enemy everyday in the palace and let him ‘advise’ the king. But he just calmly monitored the situation for 6 years. Now it making more sense why they cast Jang Hyuk for this character coz not many actors can be Bang Won. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

10 hours ago, cheezukaeku said:

I came to this forum just to write that I cannot believe we went through all that just to end up with Yeon dead :tears:

Yeah, that was... :blink:

I mean, I was :tears: but also really :huh::unsure:

Because that warrior from Ihwaru was standing right there next to Hee-Jae, doing nothing.

For some reason, it was up to Hwi to save Yeon with his arrows, but then he missed one step because of the poisoned wound in his chest - and so Yeon ends up dying? And that guy right behind Yeon? Doing nothing?

Narratively, it makes sense that Yeon dies. Because that's what transforms Hwi into the Hulk or whatever. But dude, that guy with a sword who's ostentibly trained to protect others, just stands there, and lets Yeon die right in front of him... WHUT.

• Like 3

@liltash85 Indeed, today's episode was so sad:tears:. Hwi did change and so did SH. One of them is bound to die at the end of this and I have a feeling it's going to be SH:tears:.

NJ pissed off these two and it won't end well for him. SH is out for his father's blood and NJ just realized that today. Now that's what happens when you push your son too much and take away the only person who liked him and was precious to him. 

Yep, Queen never bothered to listen to BW and her son will pay the price for it. Besides, BW wasn't gonna let her get away with ordering his death:sweatingbullets:. She really screwed up with the wrong guy lol. And I agree. This is the reason why they cast JH as YBW and I'm glad they did:D

@chickfactor That was the worst way to get killed:expressionless:. They started to run from the moment the first guy was almost close to Yeon. WTH were they doing afterwards?? Watching Hwi throw arrows only?? That death scene would have made sense if the guards were throwing arrows at Yeon instead. They could have saved her:weary:.

• Like 1

Every main lead in this drama is lonely.

HJ takes care of Hwi after Yeon's death only to learn that her master is passing away soon. When her grief is fresh, she comes right back for Hwi only to find him nearly committing suicide and leaving without a world. 

6 years waiting again and trying to tackle Nam Yeon in her own way. 

She has Hwi's love but not him by her side. Loving someone like Hwi surely needs a hell lot of patience.

By the time the second strike begins, it will be about 12 years since she first met Hwi. She must be at least nearly 30 with about half of her life waiting.

Nam Yeon is their mutual enemy. I wonder if Hwi even includes her in his plan for revenge after his sister's death.

Now I think I understand the lyric of new OST better.

"Under the same sky

We have different dreams" 

• Like 2

Yeon's death is the catalyst for Seo Hwi and Sun Ho. Hwi lost the only reason for him to fight in order to live and protect Yeon. As many fellow forum commenters here said, Yeon is one of two persons who understands Sun Ho and accepts him for who and what he is, not by his name or his status in life.

Alas, while the two friends were jolted by Yeon's death, they have to trod different paths to pursue their personal goals in their own way. While both dream of a new country where people will be free and not worry about status and rank, we know more about Joseon's history.

I believe that aside from using his father's name and alliances to gain power, Sun Ho stays by his father's side to gain intel so he can somehow thwart his father's misdeeds. Somehow, I think he wants to minimize the bloodbath his father is prone to creating in his pursuit of his goal to be the "king with a gat". Nam Jeon longs to have ultimate power so he's enduring everything because he knows his poisoned whispers can still sway the king, who is getting paranoid over Bang Won's ''strengths'' - in mind and physical power.

King Taejo sees how the pieces (people) move, the alliances formed, the duplicity and treachery of his people, yet he chooses to ignore them because he is King and can dictate what's to be done. But being inside the palace is different from being outside where the majority of the Joseon people struggle to survive; where you hear the truth (as well as half truths); where the true ''country'' is.

Most of the information that reach Taejo's ears now are sanitized and flavored with the malicious intents of those who seek power and special favors. The people inside the palace - yangbans, scholars, ministers, relatives and cohorts fight among themselves to stay in their seats and get paid to do it day in and day out. It's a situation that will foster across several centuries. 

I am glad the this drama tells the stories of people from the other side of the fence - the people who are most affected by the decisions, desires, whims and machinations of the conniving few.

• Insightful 3

Again, that was sad, so sad.

First of all, I agree with you all regarding Yeon's death scene. Huijae and her guard were standing still for god's sake the girl is being killed. Otherwise the rest was beautifully, well executed.

Now the part I was fearing: the grief scene. The most heartbreaking part was when she said to Hwi don't suffer or get hurt for me, the gaze she gave to Huijae, as if she's saying take good care of uri orabi, and the most heartbreaking phrase.. I was really happy to be your sister, couldn't hold my tears here, as if she's consoling him, that despite poverty and disease, she was still happy, it reminds me of the same lines that Huijae said to Hwi. I loved the strength of their relationship, no one can replace a brother or a sister. This, followed by the stages of indenial, calling her name, the helplessness, and then the tears Hwi displays, Wow! 

The first half of the episode was YSJ showcase of talents, the pain, the grief, the dispair in his eyes, when he was shouting I felt like he's going insane. I don't think anyone could convey those deep emotions the way he did. Master of emotions! I came across a comment by a Knetizen saying that YSJ acting is so realistic it reminded him/her of a family loss he/she went through. Maybe a true life loss helped him convey those moments the way he did :tears:

Sunho/WDH was so good while crying as well. He realized the loss, finally, but it's a pity, now it's late, too late. Speaking of him the cold-hearted version of him is so good, well done.

In the midst of this sadness comes our charismatic Jang Hyuk, "Back off, he's my man", that was sooo cool! :w00t:

Btw the sword Hwi is holding, I mean the one Yeon got killed by, is the same as in the intro right?

The river or lake scene was so meaningful. As if he was following her remains. It shows the hopelessness and dispair, the loss of interest in life, to be interrupted by the beautiful butterfly on his shoulder :tears:

Three deaths in one episode, have some mercy on me, though one of which made me happy, the queen I mean. And all 3 ladies did great portraying their characters.

Now I'm okay with time leaps, but I really want to know what happened between Hwi and Huijae, Sunho as well. Why is Hwi avoiding her? I understand that he has no more hope in life, is that the only reason? Is he still fearing he might cause her harm? I mean yes it is realistic this way but still, ughh frustrating.

Enough with sadness, let's see revenge and intense action next week, and perhaps some romance, please? Oh that last encounter, they always leave us with such cliffhangers. Yes and Namjeon has to die in the most painful, cruel way ever :angry:

And please allow me to say, Hwi's long, shabby hair reminded me of Mr. Gong lol, but it's way cooler here and looks so good :wub: And the rain and thunder background, I want to see the dark Hwi. With his bare face and plump cheeks he's so babyfaced, I think they should work on his make up to give him a sharp look :lol:

One last word, Sunho's character seems more complex, interesting, and unpredictable, yet since the beginning he has been cold or showing his emotions in his own way, now cold-hearted, if I can state it well. On the other hand we have Hwi, who underwent major transformations and transitions in his character, from a lively, youthful boy, to finding himself in the middle of battleground, to being obliged to do things against his will, to sadness, and seeking revenge, it's even reflected on his hairstyle which is different with each of these stages he went through. Hwi may be more predictable, though we don't know yet where the story is taking us, yet he underwent major changes, more than anyone else. I'm not sure if what I want to say is clear but I think we have a good balance between the characters here, each is given an opportunity to shine, in a different way. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, r047 said:

Again, that was sad, so sad.

First of all, I agree with you all regarding Yeon's death scene. Huijae and her guard were standing still for god's sake the girl is being killed. Otherwise the rest was beautifully, well executed.

Now the part I was fearing: the grief scene. The most heartbreaking part was when she said to Hwi don't suffer or get hurt for me, the gaze she gave to Huijae, as if she's saying to good care of uri orabi, and the most heartbreaking phrase.. I was really happy to be your sister, couldn't hold my tears here, as if she's consoling him, that despite poverty and disease, she was still happy, it reminds me of the same lines that Huijae said to Hwi. I loved the strength of their relationship, no one can replace a brother or a sister. The stages of indenial, calling her name, the helplessness, and then the tears Hwi displays.

The first half of the episode was YSJ showcase of talents, the pain, the grief, the dispair in his eyes, when he was shouting I felt like he's going insane. I don't think anyone could convey those deep emotions the way he did. Master of emotions! I came across a comment by a Knetizen saying that YSJ acting is so realistic it reminded him/her of a family loss he/she went through. Maybe a true life loss helped him convey those moments the way he did.

Sunho/WDH was so good while crying as well. He realized the loss, finally, but it's a pity, now it's late, too late. Speaking of him the cold-hearted version of him is so good, well done.

In the midst of this sadness comes our charismatic Jang Hyuk, "Back off, he's my man", that was sooo cool!

Btw the sword Hwi is holding, I mean the one Yeon got killed by, is the same as in the intro right?

The river or lake scene was so meaningful. As if he was following her remains. It shows the hopelessness and dispair, the loss of interest in life, to be interrupted by the beautiful butterfly on his shoulder.

Three deaths in one episode, have some mercy on me, though one of which made me happy, the queen I mean. And all 3 ladies did great portraying their characters.

Now I'm okay with time leaps, but I really want to know what happened between Hwi and Huijae, Sunho as well. Why is Hwi avoiding her? I understand that he has no more hope in life, is that the only reason? Is he still fearing he might cause her harm? I mean yes it is realistic this way but still, ughh frustrating.

Enough with sadness, let's see revenge and intense action next week, and perhaps some romance, please? Oh that last encounter, they always leave us with such cliffhangers. Yes and Namjeon has to die in the most painful, cruel way ever.

And please allow me to say, Hwi's long, shabby hair reminded me of Mr. Gong lol, but it's way cooler here and looks so good. And the rain and thunder background, I want to see the dark Hwi. With his bare face and plump cheeks he's so babyfaced, I think they should work on his make up to give him a sharp look.

One last word, Sunho's character seems more complex, interesting, and unpredictable, yet since the beginning he has been cold or showing his emotions in his own way, now cold-hearted, if I can state it well. On the other hand we have Hwi, who underwent major transformations and transitions in his character, from a lively, youthful boy, to finding himself in the middle of battleground, to being obliged to do things against his will, to sadness, and seeking revenge, it's even reflected on his hairstyle with each of these stages he went through. Hwi may be more predictable, though we don't know yet where the story is taking us. I think we have a good balance here.

The part when he called out her name to me is the saddest part and YSj knows how to get the emotions straight to the viewers. He didn't yell right away but calling her name as if waking her up from sleep. His hands were trembling when he realized she is no longer with him. Then he yell to let out his anger and the key point that showed us the scary side when he took three deep breaths before putting on Yeon's body to the ground and take the sword and rush to NJ place. You can see he has nothing to loose and he does not care if he was killed. He just wants to slay NJ throat. If only he was not poisoned, NJ will be dead. 

Seon Ho character is written to be complex. I read many comments (not only in this forum) that blame the writer and said Seon Ho's character is inconsistent but to me that's not the case. Seon Ho character is meant to be that complex. He is such a lonely soul and only 2 persons knew him Hwi and Yeon. But, because of constant emotional torture he got from his father, he is so determined to gain power so that he can be above him. And to do this, he has to betray one person he cared so much, Hwi and caused their friendship to end. But, we knew well he still cares for him and do not want bad things happened to him. Unfortunately, Hwi is his archilles ankle, his weakness. Seon Ho is the person with most complicated inner conflicts. He wants ultimate power but he cannot be evil like his father, that is why we see the inconsistency in him. When he betrayed Hwi to win the military exam, he planned to be the loyal inspector general to Yi Seong Gye and gained his trust but he miscalculate that Yi Bang Won will go against the king and he eventually entered the wrong side of Bang Won. He thought he can trick Bang Won and get him killed but Bang Won is definitely not his match. Woo DO Hwan did a very great job as Seon Ho. We are angry at his decision but we just cannot hate him because we knew somewhere deep inside him the old caring Seon Ho is still there. 

Regarding the time lapse, this time around it seems okay, because it was stated. '6 years later, year 1398'. Unlike before it was not stated and we only realized it for a while (and after go thru wikipedia) that there is a time jumped. 

• Like 3

Episode 10 Knetz comments

1.    Even though I know this story, but the acting is so tight that it's so immersive and fun…. It was so cool yesterday when Bang-won rescued Hwi from Nam Jeon. Jang Hyuk's Lee Bang-won is no less attractive than other actors who had played Lee Bang-won before previously! (+328 -7)

2.    The more Woo Do Hwan plays, the more impressive he is. ᅲᅲ Really Nam Seon-ho himself (+245 -16)

3.    You can see that era’s Lee Bang-won right in front of your eyes, just like Jang Hyuk’s perfect portrayal of Lee Bang-won, no matter what’s the amount of screen time you gave him, the presence is awesome (+179 -3)

4.    Ah.. Seon-ho and Hwi, it’s such a pity… losing Yeon.. let’s fight together. Actor Woo, you've got so many emotional scenes. It must have been hard for you to shoot. (+132 -3)

5.    Woo Do-hwan's position is unknown, it is unclear why he turns dark. The relationship gets better and then gets worse, it keeps repeating. If you want to be a bad person, then you should make a complete confrontation, and not make a turnaround at the very end. You can't keep going back and forth. (+139 -45)

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=076&aid=0003490940

1.    Lee Bang-won, who came to rescue Hwi who was in danger of an absolute death, said with a wistful look and expression, "This is my man, he protected me and I shall protect him from now onwards. So charismatic ᄃᄃ (+400 -5)

2.    Awesome Jang Hyuk, awesome Bang-won, I’m going to go now (+199 -8)

3.    Finally, Bang-won and Hwi seem to be really united, I love it. And after 10 episodes, Hwi got rid of his hair. But Yang Se - Jong cried so much that his face got swollen.... and Seon-ho is so so extreme. He really cares about Yeon, but after Yeon-i dies, he switched to his father's side? (+182 -8)

4.    Jang Hyuk, Lee Bang-won, even though he had little screen time, he makes you breathless every time he appears (+160 -4)

5.    I was moved when Lee Bang-won saved Hwi’s life. You're so cool. ㅠㅠㅠㅠ(+102 -5)

6.    Lee Bang-won appears too little ᅲᅲᅲᅲ He's got a lot of control over his flow. Hard to see his face. (+51 -3)

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=109&aid=0004113739

2019110301000148800007771_20191103091510

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, liltash85 said:

'6 years later, year 1398'. Unlike before it was not stated and we only realized it for a while (and after go thru wikipedia) that there is a time jumped.

Oh there was a text stating the time jump? I didn't see that! That's why it took me a while to realize what happened lol. It was only when I saw the adolescent guy dressed as the crown prince that I realized... oooooh we're years ahead. 

I agree with your points that Seun-ho is a complex character. He is. If he manages to let go of all the paint and resentment he suffered because of how Nam Jeon raised him, he'd be better off because he'd be less ambitious but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

At this point in the series, it's interesting to watch how Hui-jae will influence the flow of the story. I'm also hoping that Seun-ho's going to work with Hwi and Bang-won to take down the King and Nam Jeon but I know I'm being too optimistic here. 

Also, I got my wish of the field medic being a real army doctor. His scenes especially the ones with Hwa-wol crack me up. Overall, it's nice to see the stories of the secondary characters grow. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lollyminx said:

Oh there was a text stating the time jump? I didn't see that! That's why it took me a while to realize what happened lol. It was only when I saw the adolescent guy dressed as the crown prince that I realized... oooooh we're years ahead. 

I agree with your points that Seun-ho is a complex character. He is. If he manages to let go of all the paint and resentment he suffered because of how Nam Jeon raised him, he'd be better off because he'd be less ambitious but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

At this point in the series, it's interesting to watch how Hui-jae will influence the flow of the story. I'm also hoping that Seun-ho's going to work with Hwi and Bang-won to take down the King and Nam Jeon but I know I'm being too optimistic here. 

Also, I got my wish of the field medic being a real army doctor. His scenes especially the ones with Hwa-wol crack me up. Overall, it's nice to see the stories of the secondary characters grow. 

In Netflix version there is, that is why I don't feel lost with all this time jump. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, lollyminx said:

Yes this time they specifically wrote 6 years later, 1398, First Strife of Princes, which brings us very close to the opening of the first episode. 

And in case anyone is wondering, the stepmother Queen is dead by this time. According to history she died in 1396, two years ago 

• Thanks 2