[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

Talking about the queen, I seriously cannot comprehend her why she said she did all that to save her son. And seems like she only interested to save her youngest not her first born. What kind of mother can choose the sons like that? I totally cannot get her agenda on going against Bang Won after Bang Won saved her. I am glad she died. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, liltash85 said:

Talking about the queen, I seriously cannot comprehend her why she said she did all that to save her son. And seems like she only interested to save her youngest not her first born. What kind of mother can choose the sons like that? I totally cannot get her agenda on going against Bang Won after Bang Won saved her. I am glad she died. 

Well to be fair, once she keeps one son safe, it will mean the other will be safe as well, since they are from the same mother. But I’m also glad she is dead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liltash85 said:

In Netflix version there is, that is why I don't feel lost with all this time jump. 

I watched on Netflix too but I guess I wasn't paying attention enough lol 

One thing I don't get about the king is if he made his young son a crown prince so he can be king longer, why does he let the ministers make decisions then? I mean if you want to be king longer, then you must want a monarchy so you can make more decisions. What's the point of being king if ministers like Nam Jeon will get to do what they want to grow their own power.

• Like 1

I am not interested in Korean history. In fact, I didn't even watch drama like Six Flying Dragons or Deep Rooted Tree (saw bits of them here and there only) - I know these are quality drama but they seem too heavy for me.

The reason why I watch this drama is because I came across the character teaser of Hee Jae by chance - the character seems intriguing to me because she doesn't seem to be a typical female character in Korean historical drama and because I heard lots of bad reviews about Seolhyun's acting but in the teaser she seems fine to me.

And I am so glad I decided to watch the first two episodes and have been waiting for the drama every Friday and Saturday since then

It's better not watching My Country: The New Age with the expectation of a masterpiece. There are problems with plot holes, writing or character development.

But I love it. Master-class acting from veterans for sure. Never watched any drama of Yang Se Jong and Woo Do Hwan but to me they are excellent in their roles here. While watching this drama, I feel that everyone lives in their role. To be honest, Seolhyun is the weakest link in terms of acting but she actually suits the role - she just needs more experience and should learn to control her facial expression better and be more expressive. There are scenes she does very well, like her crying scene with Lady Seol. But of course, there are scenes I wish she acts better - for example in episode 9 when Hwi promises to be back - the way she looks at YSJ is more about starring than a loving or longing look. She is not an distraction for me in watching the drama.

Just like Seolhyun said, the drama is amazing, sad, and heart-breaking. The scenery is wondering. The lake where Hwi and Hee Jae have their second kiss looks perfect. The main OSTs are awesome. I hope to have the sad song when Yeon dies - it is really great. Female costumes are so elegant.

The next journey will break my heart. But I am lucky I am on the ride. 

• Like 3

I spent weeks binge-watching Six Flying Dragons just to get a grasp of the end of Goryeo and beginning of Joseon history, and reading Wikipedia on the historical figures back-to-back while watching. All in all the drama heroized all the main characters a bit too much for my liking, so I much prefer the portrayal of Yi Seong Gye and Yi Bang Won in My Country. Six Flying Dragons is considered pretty fictional and has Wuxia's element in it, but it did help me understand this show a bit better and who is who when they mentioned these people in My Country even though these historical figures did not appear in the drama.

1 hour ago, lollyminx said:

One thing I don't get about the king is if he made his young son a crown prince so he can be king longer, why does he let the ministers make decisions then? I mean if you want to be king longer, then you must want a monarchy so you can make more decisions. What's the point of being king if ministers like Nam Jeon will get to do what they want to grow their own power.

Because of Jeong Do Jeon. Quote from Wikipedia: "Jeong Dojeon saw Joseon as a kingdom led by ministers while the king was to be largely symbolic figure, whereas Yi Bang-won wanted to establish the absolute monarchy ruled directly by the king." Though in the end, the power went back to the hands of the Ministers in latter Joseon dynasty.

In Six Flying Dragons, Jeong Do Jeon also wanted to implement the "5 principles" where one of the principles is that no Royals or relatives of Royals can participate in politics. I don't know if this is real in history, but this is what irks Yi Bang Won.

----

FYI in case others do not know, Jeong Dojeon was an adviser to Yi Seong-gye and also the principal architect of the Joseon dynasty's policies, laying down the kingdom's ideological, institutional, and legal frameworks which would govern it for five centuries.

In recent press con, PD mentioned a lot of people asked him why isn't Jeong Do Jeon featured in this drama (I wondered the same esp. after learning how important his role is in establishing Joseon dynasty). The PD explained that he wouldn't be able to create a drama that would be different to other sageuk the moment Jeong Do Jeon appears in it.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 3

Question: Is Hwi using a different sword now? Cos he seems to leave his sword and bow with Hee Jae's bandage behind the day he left 6 years ago. His current sword looks kinda different. He doesn't want to reveal his identity by using his own weapon or was he really ready to be his past and also Hee Jae behind to pursue a life of revenge no matter how long it takes?

In the first strike in episode 1, Hwi has his own bow again so he must come back to get it or Hee Jae gives it to him directly. The cover the new OST is a scene where these two meets again, not sure before the 1st strike or 2nd strike.

The market scene in episode 10, do they meet again by chance or does she stand there to see him pass by intentionally?  Does Hwi even keep in touch that way occasionally or he just disappears for 6 years in Hee Jae's life without even knowing how she lives in exchange for a dangerous life of revenge where he can get caught and be killed? 

I have to wait for upcoming episodes to have the answer but I will be honest: I will be disappointed if Hwi forsakes Hee Jae all these times just to take revenge on Nam Jeon. The dead is already dead, the living must keep on living. 

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."

It is because seeking vengeance can backfire on an individual and lead to additional pain and suffering. Tackling Nam Jeon is a very very long process. It is a lonely and dangerous journey during which the remaining loved one of Hwi suffers. I still remember how Hee Jae asks him repeatedly not to disappear from her life again and share the burden with her. A request that seems so simple but also impossible. The way Hee Jae looks at Hwi when he walks away.. it hurts that she so get used to be left behind waiting and never complaining or trying to hold back Hwi. She is willing to wait for Hwi but she should not be treated for granted that way.

She also wants Nam Jeon dead as much as Hwi and she can help in certain away now that she has her own investigation team. Such a capable woman, I hope Hwi at least stay in touch somehow and lets her get involved. 

What I am kinda worry about is that Hee Jae seems to be really at odds with Bangwon. If she helps Bangwon somehow, it's because of Hwi. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, melp said:

Question: Is Hwi using a different sword now? Cos he seems to leave his sword and bow with Hee Jae's bandage behind the day he left 6 years ago. His current sword looks kinda different. He doesn't want to reveal his identity by using his own weapon or was he really ready to be his past and also Hee Jae behind to pursue a life of revenge no matter how long it takes?

In the first strike in episode 1, Hwi has his own bow again so he must come back to get it or Hee Jae gives it to him directly. The cover the new OST is a scene where these two meets again, not sure before the 1st strike or 2nd strike.

The market scene in episode 10, do they meet again by chance or does she stand there to see him pass by intentionally?  Does Hwi even keep in touch that way occasionally or he just disappears for 6 years in Hee Jae's life without even knowing how she lives in exchange for a dangerous life of revenge where he can get caught and be killed? 

I have to wait for upcoming episodes to have the answer but I will be honest: I will be disappointed if Hwi forsakes Hee Jae all these times just to take revenge on Nam Jeon. The dead is already dead, the living must keep on living. 

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."

It is because seeking vengeance can backfire on an individual and lead to additional pain and suffering. Tackling Nam Jeon is a very very long process. It is a lonely and dangerous journey during which the remaining loved one of Hwi suffers. I still remember how Hee Jae asks him repeatedly not to disappear from her life again and share the burden with her. A request that seems so simple but also impossible. The way Hee Jae looks at Hwi when he walks away.. it hurts that she so get used to be left behind waiting and never complaining or trying to hold back Hwi. She is willing to wait for Hwi but she should not be treated for granted that way.

She also wants Nam Jeon dead as much as Hwi and she can help in certain away now that she has her own investigation team. Such a capable woman, I hope Hwi at least stay in touch somehow and lets her get involved. 

What I am kinda worry about is that Hee Jae seems to be really at odds with Bangwon. If she helps Bangwon somehow, it's because of Hwi. 

Not sure whether he left his bow (which I hope not, Hwi you got your hands into fire to get that headband with charred ends) but I'm really curious to figure out what happened between these two in those 6 years, I'm quite sure the day he went to the river/lake wasn't their last meeting. 

As for the sword, it's the one Yeon got killed by, correct me if I'm wrong, and it's the exact same one as in the intro. 

I think she was waiting for him intentionally. And that poster means for sure they'll meet soon, by next episode maybe.

He promised to be back, she needs to be patient, Hwi is someone who keeps his promises. Good things take time! I think it'll be more meaningful this way. Coz he'll be selfish if he drives her with him to hell, even though she's willing. An element of Noble idiocy is still there. Maybe that will lead us to a happy ending, but I won't keep my hopes up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, r047 said:

Not sure whether he left his bow (which I hope not, Hwi you got your hands into fire to get that headband with charred ends) but I'm really curious to figure out what happened between these two in those 6 years, I'm quite sure the day he went to the river/lake wasn't their last meeting. 

As for the sword, it's the one Yeon got killed by, correct me if I'm wrong, and it's the exact same one as in the intro. 

I think she was waiting for him intentionally. And that poster means for sure they'll meet soon, by next episode maybe.

He promised to be back, she needs to be patient, Hwi is someone who keeps his promises. Good things take time! I think it'll be more meaningful this way. Coz he'll be selfish if he drives her with him to hell, even though she's willing. An element of Noble idiocy is still there. Maybe that will lead us to a happy ending, but I won't keep my hopes up.

I think the sword he left behind is one he has been using until he day he left 6 years ago. The now he is using now is the one we see he uses in the opening scene - the rope tied around the grip is different, unless he unties it.

Well I don't even need him to drag Hee Jae along his journey. She is the head of Ihwaru now, it's not like she has nothing to take care of when he is away and she can accomplish much more  with her information network at the city than tagging along Hwi. She survives well without Hwi. All I need for him is at least to keep in touch - even once in a while rather than ignoring her. As I said, she is not a high-maintenance girlfriend. She will have to be patient to have him but god knows how long. She has been waiting for him for too long that the best years of her youth passes by. 

Yep, he of course will return to her once he finishes with whatever he wants to do, I see no reason not to, but provided he doesn't get killed before that  - and I am sure he knows the path he paves with blood can get him killed easily. When it comes to the final showdown to destroy Nam Joon, he is willing to die to get the revenge he wants so his promise is vain, actually. The problem to me is, a life with Hee Jae never seems to be his ultimate goal even though he wants her, of course. His ultimate goal is to protect his sister and then take revenge for her when she is killed tragically. On the hand, Hee Jae is always looking forward to be with him when all is over. I am not talking about who loves who more or who deserves more but in that sense, their relationship is unbalanced. They have different dreams under the same sky.

The direction to new world that Hee Jae wants is different from Hwi. Like Seolhyun said: "I consider [my role] as more like protecting loved ones instead of sacrificing myself for them. I’ve said even before the drama began that the country Hee Jae wishes for is a country where she can protect the ones she cherishes". On the hand, Hwi is about about self-sacrificing that his promise is vain even though his intention is sincere. With his sister no longer here with him, Hee Jae is the one he should protect, and yet he can die any time any where. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, melp said:

I think the sword he left behind is one he has been using until he day he left 6 years ago. The now he is using now is the one we see he uses in the opening scene - the rope tied around the grip is different, unless he unties it.

Well I don't even need him to drag Hee Jae along his journey. She is the head of Ihwaru now, it's not like she has nothing to take care of when he is away and she can accomplish much more  with her information network at the city than tagging along Hwi. She survives well without Hwi. All I need for him is at least to keep in touch - even once in a while rather than ignoring her. As I said, she is not a high-maintenance girlfriend. He of course will return to her once he finishes with whatever he wants to do, provided he doesn't get killed before that. Hee Jae will have to be patient to have him but god knows how long. She has been waiting for him for too long that the best years of her youth passes by. 

Yeah I agree, which makes the scene at the market awkward, what made them this way towards each other? Why is he avoiding her and passing by as if she's nothing? Will have to wait for the coming episode to reveal everything. 

• Like 1

Was I the only one that noticed them cut of an important scene from the sneak peek in ep 10?...it was Seon Ho kneeling next to Hwi after he collapsed bcuz of the poison. Which means that seon ho was there for Hwi. I would insert the screenshot but i dunno how

Edited by Hewri hashim
  • Insightful 2

9 minutes ago, Hewri hashim said:

Was I the only one that noticed them cut of an important scene from the sneak peek in ep 10?...it was Seon Ho kneeling next to Hwi after he collapsed bcuz of the poison. Which means that seon ho was there for Hwi. I would insert the screenshot but i dunno how

Yeah I noticed that, it was one of the scenes I was actually waiting for! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hewri hashim said:

Of coz u are not alone. I tweeted about it the moment I finished watching ep10 yesterday morning. And you wrote something similar to what i wrote in Twitter. 

@melp you have to understand Hwi. He lost the only family he has. His sister. He survived the brutal war in Liaodong. He lived as dead person for years. He was used as spy by Nam Jeon all these he did for Yeon. To save Yeon. And when Yeon git killed, he has nothing more to loose. His goal now is only one to get revenge on Nam Jeon. Remember the last word Nam Jeon said to him, that he didn’t know who he really is and he is not his opponent. So Hwi, go off the radar for 6 years and prepare to attack Nam Jeon in the most cruel way. He knows there’s a possibility he could die but he doesn’t care. Dying or living is the same for him. 

Does he know how much HJ love him? Yes he does. He knows very well that HJ love him, willing to protect him and sacrifice for him. But, I think he doesn’t want to drag HJ in the mess. He doesn’t want to give her the promise that he he himself is unsure of. When he left, he doesn’t know HJ is the head of Ihwaru and has the ability to help him. Furthermore he cannot stay behind. NJ people will keep hunting him down. And this will bring danger to HJ and all people around him. 

HJ knows all this and she understands Hwi decision. In that era, it’s hard to have a relationship like we have in modern time. Politics, revolution and war will revolve in their life more. It’s almost impossible to have a balanced relationship in saeguk or in revolutionary time. People leave and gone missing doesn’t mean they didn’t care, it’s actually one way of protecting. 

Yes HJ might be someone he still has to care and protect but we have to know very well that Hwi he experienced seeing his family member killed in front of him in the most brutal way. So we cannot expect he can just put everything behind and forget about the dead just so he can move on and being in love with HJ and had a new start. Don’t we??? 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, liltash85 said:

@melp you have to understand Hwi. He lost the only family he has. His sister. He survived the brutal war in Liaodong. He lived as dead person for years. He was used as spy by Nam Jeon all these he did for Yeon. To save Yeon. And when Yeon git killed, he has nothing more to loose. His goal now is only one to get revenge on Nam Jeon. Remember the last word Nam Jeon said to him, that he didn’t know who he really is and he is not his opponent. So Hwi, go off the radar for 6 years and prepare to attack Nam Jeon in the most cruel way. He knows there’s a possibility he could die but he doesn’t care. Dying or living is the same for him. 

Does he know how much HJ love him? Yes he does. He knows very well that HJ love him, willing to protect him and sacrifice for him. But, I think he doesn’t want to drag HJ in the mess. He doesn’t want to give her the promise that he he himself is unsure of. When he left, he doesn’t know HJ is the head of Ihwaru and has the ability to help him. Furthermore he cannot stay behind. NJ people will keep hunting him down. And this will bring danger to HJ and all people around him. 

HJ knows all this and she understands Hwi decision. In that era, it’s hard to have a relationship like we have in modern time. Politics, revolution and war will revolve in their life more. It’s almost impossible to have a balanced relationship in saeguk or in revolutionary time. People leave and gone missing doesn’t mean they didn’t care, it’s actually one way of protecting. 

Yes HJ might be someone he still has to care and protect but we have to know very well that Hwi he experienced seeing his family member killed in front of him in the most brutal way. So we cannot expect he can just put everything behind and forget about the dead just so he can move on and being in love with HJ and had a new start. Don’t we??? 

Oh on the contrary I do understand why Hwi does the things he does. That's how he is, a self-sacrificing person.  Hee Jae never asks him to quit his revenge quest because she understands him better than anyone. I never say it is easy for him to leave him Hee Jae behind again and again and leads a dangerous life because he loves her.  Even Hee Jae now still looks for way to take revenge on Nam Jeon due to her mother's death, I don't think that not going after Nam Jeon and living a quiet life with Hee Jae instead is an option for Hwi; she never asks for that since he lost too much because of that bastard. The only thing I will blame him is if it is true he cuts off contact with Hee Jae entirely during the last 6 years. Isn't it enough with all the "I -don't-want-her-to-be-involved-because-it-is dangerous-for-her" act? Hee Jae will get involved in killing Nam Jeon, one way or another; she doesn't need Hwi to do that for her - she is already after Nam Jeon for years. All she hopes for is for him to let her in and share his burden, not asking him to let her following him around.

I understand Hwi but it is also fact that their relation is unbalanced because their ultimate goals are different. And Hee Jae gets the short stick of it. Just like how she can't talk him out of not sacrificing himself for revenge, he also can't convince her to fall out of love with him and not wait for him. Understanding him is one thing, having left behind and waiting for him throughout her youth is another thing. That's why their love is so sad, relying on a few stolen moments here and there to keep their love alive (now that Yeon is dead, Hwi is so bent on revenge that it seem like their love is not enough for Hwi to want to survive; that's what comes along with loving Hwi that Hee Jae has to accept). The new OST is exactly how Hee Jae longs for Hwi but can't seem to reach him as he is further away from her. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, liltash85 said:

Maybe I have missed it but I don’t think Hwi knew that his father is the one saving HJ when young. Can someone clarify whether he knew this or not? 

No I don't think Hwi knows cos Hee Jae never talks about it.