[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

I’ve been reading some comments about that part when SeonHo was hurt and Hwi left him. At first I couldn’t understand it either. I had to rewatch that part again and it’s clear now what had happened. When Hwi was helping SeonHo to sit down, SeonHo didn’t want Hwi to be there. He removed Hwi’s hand two times. That’s why Hwi was just sitting there like a lost puppy. I think he would just sit there and follow SeonHo if ChiDo and the others didn’t come to get him. 

SeonHo wasn’t seriously injured. (Well that’s according to the script heh). That’s why it wasn’t urgent for them to help him like what they did when they escape from Liadong. As for SeonHo’s reaction, I’m thinking he realized that now his father is dead, the power that he thought he could have through his father is now also lost. He probably thought the other Minister will look down on him once more. And now he is just a bastard orphan of a low class woman. Also I think his pride is probably hurt that the tables have been turned and Hwi is the one now who has all the things he doesn’t have. And that is the reason why he rejected Hwi. These are just my speculations. What do u guys think?

I am am so relieved that it wasn’t Hwi but Bangwon who took NamJeon’s life. That would surely be the end of his friendship with SeonHo. I just hope whatever it is that is that is separating them will still be mended. Their relationship is really complicated and I’m not saying one is good than the other because I really think their friendship goes deeper and their brotherly love is still strong inspite of all that has happened between them. 

• Like 5

I don't understand why people are concerned about Hwi leaving an injured SH behind? After all, he was wiling to drive a sword through the latter's body in the first place.

Anyway new HD stills of ep 11 out, more in link here http://tv.jtbc.joins.com/photo/pr10011100/pm10054832

20191111_172058_7120.jpg

20191111_171950_5853.jpg

20191111_172202_2624.jpg

Spoiler

20191111_172325_8336.jpg

20191111_172207_2349.jpg

20191111_172603_8535.jpg

Some funny tweets

Spoiler

• LOL 2

Sunho looked at that embroidery around his sword for a moment

before they began to fight.

Its clear he would never hurt Hwi with that sword. 

Hwi stabbed Sunho with the sword without hesitation.

That was unexpected.

Maybe that somehow undoes that Sunho sent Hwi to that battlefield.

Anyway I liked how calm they both were. 

• Like 2

Question.  Park Chi Do told Hwi that just as Yeom is precious to him, Hwi is precious to some people (indicating them). The next scene showed a flashback of Park instructing a boy in swordfighting.  Was that young boy Hwi?  If so, does Hwi remember Park from his childhood days?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cherriesblue said:

Question.  Park Chi Do told Hwi that just as Yeom is precious to him, Hwi is precious to some people (indicating them). The next scene showed a flashback of Park instructing a boy in swordfighting.  Was that young boy Hwi?  If so, does Hwi remember Park from his childhood days?

No that is not flashback and that is not young Hwi. That boy is Chi Do current student. He is a beginner and his sword skill is still not good. But he insisted Chi do to train him hard as he wanted to pass the army test to get rice. That’s how important rice is to poor people. They willingly to go thru hardship to get free rice. Just like what drives Hwi to take the exam years before. 

• Like 3

@rocher22 They were in battle in a swordfight. Stabbing could have gone either way. Either one of them could get hurt at any moment. It’s not fair to say Hwi stabbed SeonHo with the sword without hesitation. 

And no, I don’t agree that stabbing SeonHo will make up for sending him to the battlefield. 

It is just unfortunate and quite sad that they were born in turbulent times. And both of them have to take opposite sides. 

But it doesn’t look like they can still preserve their friendship. SeonHo is now angry at Bangwon for killing his father. 

• Like 5

It was a beautiful shot of the door of that big gate closing and

Sunho and BW standing and looking at each other. :D

It was brilliantly shot. Both of them looked really good.

I’m seriously worried for SeonHo though. What’s gonna happen to him? I hope he realizes that he’s not alone in this. Having a father like Nam Jeon must not be easy. In that part of their world where people like him get trampled on. I wish he would rise to the occasion and uphold himself in doing the right thing and prove everyone wrong. I hope he realizes that being a son of that despicable person is not the definition of who he is. He is so much better than that. That heart he had as a child from way back when he helped Hwi bury his own father. That’s the kind of compassion that he has. Not to mention the way he cares for Yeon. His heart is in the right place. He just needs to learn how to deal with all the negativity surrounding him. I really want him to prove everyone wrong in how badly people think of him. 
  • Like 1

Gotta admit it. It's reaaallyy difficult to return to watching other Kdramas, no matter how good they are. After watching spectacular performances from all the cast in My Country, despite the tension, the sad yet beautiful scenes. All seems irreplaceable now! 

• Like 2

That relationship between Sunho and Yeon would be one beautiful

love story but everything is already destroyed.

I liked the way Sunho looked at her for a moment as he waited for her

to go to the market together.  

And then when he told her that she no longer needed to enter his room at night

it was as if he somehow wanted to protect her from himself.

Of course that doesnt even matter anymore.

• Like 1

@writteninthestars09- it was a beautiful and dramatic scene!  Like so many in this drama, both the director and the cinematographer have an eye for the artistic and dramatic.  Each shot tells a story that the action and script cannot.  Each shot is an embellishment of the plot, adding immensely to the storytelling.

Whi and his horsemen riding in the foggy darkness along the lake in slow motion - how about THAT shot?

Why does Bangwon save Seonho, though?  When they fight outside the gate, Bangwon only uses his sword to defend himself - he does not attack Seonho.  He waits until Seonho realizes he has been beaten (Chi-Do and his Black Snake squad come through again - how cool!) and then they both lower their swords.  Bangwon could have killed him - or tried to, but no. He lets him go inside the gate.

Does he save him because he knows Seonho is Whi's best friend?  Does he see how Whi still cares for Seonho - so there must be a good man still there to save? Or does Bangwon see something deeper in Seonho.  Does he see that Seonho is also one of the "abandoned" like himself and Whi?  When Seonho says that Bangwon will abandon Whi, so why is Bangwon better than Namjeon, Bangwon says he doesn't abandon his people.  You can see in Seonho's face he is surprised by this answer.  Is Bangwon hoping he can convert Seonho to his side and lead him to the new nation of the "abandoned" he wants to create?  Seonho's father, Namjeon is dead.  Hasn't the curse of being Namjeon's son been removed from Seonho just as much as Whi's curse against Namjeon for killing Yeon?

Only time will tell.....   

• Like 1

@r047

It’s so beautifully done I am immersed when watching at everything. Their performances, the cinematography and the director’s penchant for nuanced detail for each scene is brilliant.

@luvtokki

That was a beautifully written perspective. With some insightful questions. I like how you interpreted that fight scene between Bangwon and SeonHo. And that last past about Bangwon and protecting the abandoned. This was also what he said to his men before they started marching towards the Palace. 

@rocher22

It breaks my heart when I think about what could have been. Woo DoHwan gives an amazing performance every time. I can’t help but feel for what he is going through.

Remember Whi's speech to Bangwon -

"We were the advance troop dispatched to Liaodong.

We were abandoned after being used and trampled all over.

In my eyes - you are no different.

We dirtied our hands with blood for this country,

but that blood is only used to deride us.

That is your and our situation."

Bangwon, "So?"

"Your highness' country.

The country of the abandoned.

I wished to see it with you."

Bangwon, "The country of the abandoned?  You wish to see my kingdom?"

"That is correct!"

This was before Yeon's death and Whi's path of revenge.  There is some deeper meaning for him to help Bangwon.  But it was blinded temporarily by revenge.

Bangwon's speech after cutting the bridge -

"We were all born seperately and have been living seperate lives.

We all come from different social ranks,

and all of us are here for different reasons.

However, we were all abandoned.

Regardless of how it all began and how it will end.

You must survive!"

They are all the "abandoned".  Whi, Seonho, Heejae, Bangwon, Chi-do, Munbok, Jeungbum, Hwawol and the other ladies of Ilhrawu.  All abandoned by their country and their rulers because of their birth, their station in life.  They are all hoping Bangwon will give them a better country - one with consideration for the common man.  Will he deliver?

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

"I want to see smiles, smiles of you guys and Hee Jae too"

For the first since like forever, Hwi comes to term with his loss and lets go of his pain. He is back to the Hwi we know in the beginning. I miss his gentle smile and loving look a lot. There is a soft quality in Hwi and Hee Jae's personality that match each other so well - they are both so caring and gentle towards the people they love.

For 12 episodes, we see Hwi fighting for his life and for Yeon. It's time he lets her go and be at peace with his life - he still has people he cares about after Yeon is gone. 

In about 10-11 years, Hwi and Hee Jae are separated more than they are together. They felt in love during a short summer when they were so young, naive, and innocent. After Hwi was drafted, they longed for each other but couldn't meet. Hwi avoided Hee Jae for 4 years, then they briefly united before Yeon's death. Hee Jae was there when Hwi was treated from poison but the venom never really goes away and he is out again on his revenge quest, leaving her waiting for 6 years - they only occasionally pass by each other. Time and time again, Hee Jae touches Hwi with her unchanging love. I am so looking forward to the days when Hwi devotes his time for her, even if they only have a short happy time together before hell breaks looses again. Not that Hee Jae is a damsel in distress but I want to see Hwi fights for her like how he fought for the country he lost.  Is it too much to ask, show?

• Like 3