Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

1 hour ago, r047 said:

Not sure whether he left his bow (which I hope not, Hwi you got your hands into fire to get that headband with charred ends) but I'm really curious to figure out what happened between these two in those 6 years, I'm quite sure the day he went to the river/lake wasn't their last meeting. 

As for the sword, it's the one Yeon got killed by, correct me if I'm wrong, and it's the exact same one as in the intro. 

I think she was waiting for him intentionally. And that poster means for sure they'll meet soon, by next episode maybe.

He promised to be back, she needs to be patient, Hwi is someone who keeps his promises. Good things take time! I think it'll be more meaningful this way. Coz he'll be selfish if he drives her with him to hell, even though she's willing. An element of Noble idiocy is still there. Maybe that will lead us to a happy ending, but I won't keep my hopes up.

I think the sword he left behind is one he has been using until he day he left 6 years ago. The now he is using now is the one we see he uses in the opening scene - the rope tied around the grip is different, unless he unties it.

Well I don't even need him to drag Hee Jae along his journey. She is the head of Ihwaru now, it's not like she has nothing to take care of when he is away and she can accomplish much more  with her information network at the city than tagging along Hwi. She survives well without Hwi. All I need for him is at least to keep in touch - even once in a while rather than ignoring her. As I said, she is not a high-maintenance girlfriend. She will have to be patient to have him but god knows how long. She has been waiting for him for too long that the best years of her youth passes by. 

Yep, he of course will return to her once he finishes with whatever he wants to do, I see no reason not to, but provided he doesn't get killed before that  - and I am sure he knows the path he paves with blood can get him killed easily. When it comes to the final showdown to destroy Nam Joon, he is willing to die to get the revenge he wants so his promise is vain, actually. The problem to me is, a life with Hee Jae never seems to be his ultimate goal even though he wants her, of course. His ultimate goal is to protect his sister and then take revenge for her when she is killed tragically. On the hand, Hee Jae is always looking forward to be with him when all is over. I am not talking about who loves who more or who deserves more but in that sense, their relationship is unbalanced. They have different dreams under the same sky.

The direction to new world that Hee Jae wants is different from Hwi. Like Seolhyun said: "I consider [my role] as more like protecting loved ones instead of sacrificing myself for them. I’ve said even before the drama began that the country Hee Jae wishes for is a country where she can protect the ones she cherishes". On the hand, Hwi is about about self-sacrificing that his promise is vain even though his intention is sincere. With his sister no longer here with him, Hee Jae is the one he should protect, and yet he can die any time any where. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, melp said:

I think the sword he left behind is one he has been using until he day he left 6 years ago. The now he is using now is the one we see he uses in the opening scene - the rope tied around the grip is different, unless he unties it.

Well I don't even need him to drag Hee Jae along his journey. She is the head of Ihwaru now, it's not like she has nothing to take care of when he is away and she can accomplish much more  with her information network at the city than tagging along Hwi. She survives well without Hwi. All I need for him is at least to keep in touch - even once in a while rather than ignoring her. As I said, she is not a high-maintenance girlfriend. He of course will return to her once he finishes with whatever he wants to do, provided he doesn't get killed before that. Hee Jae will have to be patient to have him but god knows how long. She has been waiting for him for too long that the best years of her youth passes by. 

Yeah I agree, which makes the scene at the market awkward, what made them this way towards each other? Why is he avoiding her and passing by as if she's nothing? Will have to wait for the coming episode to reveal everything. 

• Like 1

Was I the only one that noticed them cut of an important scene from the sneak peek in ep 10?...it was Seon Ho kneeling next to Hwi after he collapsed bcuz of the poison. Which means that seon ho was there for Hwi. I would insert the screenshot but i dunno how

Edited by Hewri hashim
  • Insightful 2

9 minutes ago, Hewri hashim said:

Was I the only one that noticed them cut of an important scene from the sneak peek in ep 10?...it was Seon Ho kneeling next to Hwi after he collapsed bcuz of the poison. Which means that seon ho was there for Hwi. I would insert the screenshot but i dunno how

Yeah I noticed that, it was one of the scenes I was actually waiting for! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hewri hashim said:

Of coz u are not alone. I tweeted about it the moment I finished watching ep10 yesterday morning. And you wrote something similar to what i wrote in Twitter. 

@melp you have to understand Hwi. He lost the only family he has. His sister. He survived the brutal war in Liaodong. He lived as dead person for years. He was used as spy by Nam Jeon all these he did for Yeon. To save Yeon. And when Yeon git killed, he has nothing more to loose. His goal now is only one to get revenge on Nam Jeon. Remember the last word Nam Jeon said to him, that he didn’t know who he really is and he is not his opponent. So Hwi, go off the radar for 6 years and prepare to attack Nam Jeon in the most cruel way. He knows there’s a possibility he could die but he doesn’t care. Dying or living is the same for him. 

Does he know how much HJ love him? Yes he does. He knows very well that HJ love him, willing to protect him and sacrifice for him. But, I think he doesn’t want to drag HJ in the mess. He doesn’t want to give her the promise that he he himself is unsure of. When he left, he doesn’t know HJ is the head of Ihwaru and has the ability to help him. Furthermore he cannot stay behind. NJ people will keep hunting him down. And this will bring danger to HJ and all people around him. 

HJ knows all this and she understands Hwi decision. In that era, it’s hard to have a relationship like we have in modern time. Politics, revolution and war will revolve in their life more. It’s almost impossible to have a balanced relationship in saeguk or in revolutionary time. People leave and gone missing doesn’t mean they didn’t care, it’s actually one way of protecting. 

Yes HJ might be someone he still has to care and protect but we have to know very well that Hwi he experienced seeing his family member killed in front of him in the most brutal way. So we cannot expect he can just put everything behind and forget about the dead just so he can move on and being in love with HJ and had a new start. Don’t we??? 

• Like 3

@liltash85 Well said, couldn't agree more. He lost the taste of life he no longer wants anything else but revenge. The sacrifices and the efforts had exhausted him enough, for nothing in the end of all that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, liltash85 said:

@melp you have to understand Hwi. He lost the only family he has. His sister. He survived the brutal war in Liaodong. He lived as dead person for years. He was used as spy by Nam Jeon all these he did for Yeon. To save Yeon. And when Yeon git killed, he has nothing more to loose. His goal now is only one to get revenge on Nam Jeon. Remember the last word Nam Jeon said to him, that he didn’t know who he really is and he is not his opponent. So Hwi, go off the radar for 6 years and prepare to attack Nam Jeon in the most cruel way. He knows there’s a possibility he could die but he doesn’t care. Dying or living is the same for him. 

Does he know how much HJ love him? Yes he does. He knows very well that HJ love him, willing to protect him and sacrifice for him. But, I think he doesn’t want to drag HJ in the mess. He doesn’t want to give her the promise that he he himself is unsure of. When he left, he doesn’t know HJ is the head of Ihwaru and has the ability to help him. Furthermore he cannot stay behind. NJ people will keep hunting him down. And this will bring danger to HJ and all people around him. 

HJ knows all this and she understands Hwi decision. In that era, it’s hard to have a relationship like we have in modern time. Politics, revolution and war will revolve in their life more. It’s almost impossible to have a balanced relationship in saeguk or in revolutionary time. People leave and gone missing doesn’t mean they didn’t care, it’s actually one way of protecting. 

Yes HJ might be someone he still has to care and protect but we have to know very well that Hwi he experienced seeing his family member killed in front of him in the most brutal way. So we cannot expect he can just put everything behind and forget about the dead just so he can move on and being in love with HJ and had a new start. Don’t we??? 

Oh on the contrary I do understand why Hwi does the things he does. That's how he is, a self-sacrificing person.  Hee Jae never asks him to quit his revenge quest because she understands him better than anyone. I never say it is easy for him to leave him Hee Jae behind again and again and leads a dangerous life because he loves her.  Even Hee Jae now still looks for way to take revenge on Nam Jeon due to her mother's death, I don't think that not going after Nam Jeon and living a quiet life with Hee Jae instead is an option for Hwi; she never asks for that since he lost too much because of that bastard. The only thing I will blame him is if it is true he cuts off contact with Hee Jae entirely during the last 6 years. Isn't it enough with all the "I -don't-want-her-to-be-involved-because-it-is dangerous-for-her" act? Hee Jae will get involved in killing Nam Jeon, one way or another; she doesn't need Hwi to do that for her - she is already after Nam Jeon for years. All she hopes for is for him to let her in and share his burden, not asking him to let her following him around.

I understand Hwi but it is also fact that their relation is unbalanced because their ultimate goals are different. And Hee Jae gets the short stick of it. Just like how she can't talk him out of not sacrificing himself for revenge, he also can't convince her to fall out of love with him and not wait for him. Understanding him is one thing, having left behind and waiting for him throughout her youth is another thing. That's why their love is so sad, relying on a few stolen moments here and there to keep their love alive (now that Yeon is dead, Hwi is so bent on revenge that it seem like their love is not enough for Hwi to want to survive; that's what comes along with loving Hwi that Hee Jae has to accept). The new OST is exactly how Hee Jae longs for Hwi but can't seem to reach him as he is further away from her. 

• Like 1

Maybe I have missed it but I don’t think Hwi knew that his father is the one saving HJ when young. Can someone clarify whether he knew this or not? 

37 minutes ago, liltash85 said:

Maybe I have missed it but I don’t think Hwi knew that his father is the one saving HJ when young. Can someone clarify whether he knew this or not? 

No I don't think Hwi knows cos Hee Jae never talks about it.

1 hour ago, melp said:

No I don't think Hwi knows cos Hee Jae never talks about it.

Does she know the one who saved her was Hwi's father?

12 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Does she know the one who saved her was Hwi's father?

She knew it since the beginning of Episode 2 already from the flashback. That's why she answered Lady Seol that her relation with Hwi is fate. She also said you two are exactly alike, referring to Hwi and his father, though Hwi didn't understand what she meant - he probably thought she talked about him and Yeon. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, melp said:

She knew it since the beginning of Episode 2 already from the flashback. That's why she answered Lady Seol that her relation with Hwi is fate. She also said you two are exactly alike, referring to Hwi and his father, though Hwi didn't understand what she meant - he probably thought she talked about him and Yeon. 

Oh thanks!

So now both HJ and BW know that Hwi is SG's son, but they didn't tell him they know.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Oh thanks!

So now both HJ and BW know that Hwi is SG's son, but they didn't tell him they know.

I think BW told Hwi in Episode 9 that Hwi's father was like a teacher and father to him.

2 hours ago, melp said:

I think BW told Hwi in Episode 9 that Hwi's father was like a teacher and father to him.

I dont think so, he just mentioned Hwil resembles someone he knows

• Like 2

Just when everything seemed rosy and seemed to be going in the right direction..bam!  More grief and suffering.

Whi's and BangWon's elegant plot works, NamJeon is utterly humiliated and pretty much dead.  Whi and his Three Musketeers are all alive and well, Yeon's memory is restored and she is back with Whi, Whi and HeeJae are reunited and confess their love again and even toothless MunBok's relationship with HwaWol advances.  They all have a happy meal together over some seemingly bad food cooked up by HwaWol, but in this life who cares if she can't cook - life is grand! 

I would have been fine if Whi and Yeon sailed down that river and found a peaceful place in Joseon to settle down, far from the power of the evil capital.  Whi then sends for HeeJae and his 3 brothers in arms and they all live happily together on a beautiful, small rural farm.  SeonHo realizes the errors of his ways by following in his evil father's footsteps and joins Whi and ends up marrying Yeon.  Munbok gets his teeth cleaned and marries HwaWol and everybody survives, has many happy babies and the sun sets on their happiness.  That would have been a fine way to end this story.  Everybody has suffered enough.

But no.  The king pardons NamJeon, who sends soldiers to kill Whi and Yeon.  Even though both SeonHo and Whi try valiantly, Yeon tragically dies at the hands of  NamJeon's soldier.  Tragedy.  Utter devastation and sadness.  Yep, I even knew it was coming - I still cried.

Everybody on the internet has been cursing poor Gyeol - why did he just stand there as Yeon gets run through with a sword?  True, any man would have rushed to save her, especially a trained swordsman.  But he is there to protect HeeJae, no one else.  With armed soldiers coming from all directions his duty is to be HeeJae's shield.  But still.

The scene where the grieving Hwi enters the river to drown himself and to join Yeon was beautiful.  The butterfly comes and Whi is convinced it is Yeon telling him to stay and live.  Very poetic and touching.

So now I'm a little confused about Hwi's motivation.  Is he on a one man revenge streak to take out NamJeon?  And he has left behind his sword and his bow with his and Yeon's name on it and HeeJae's silk headband.  He has taken up the sword that Yeon was killed with.  Does this mean he cannot let his heart's feelings for HeeJae continue until he has revenged Yeon's death?  And is he still working with BangWon?  Is he still receiving intelligence from HeeJae?

One theme that has impressed me is that Whi's father, SeoGeom, has influenced so many lives even though he is dead and gone.  Whi and Yeon, obviously.  HeeJae because he is the one who fought to save her mother and saved her life.  And now HeeJae is trying to repay SoGeom by saving his son and daughter.  Park Chi-Do served with him in the army and has taken Whi under his wing and is protecting him.  And even BangWon is protecting Whi because of the man his father was.  It shows you how a good man's life can effect the lives and decisions of the next generation.  Even more than an evil man like NamJeon who is still alive and powerful.  Will the honor and goodness of SeoGeom rise up from the grave and defeat NamJeon in life?  We can only hope to witness that event!           

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, luvtokki said:

So now I'm a little confused about Hwi's motivation.  Is he on a one man revenge streak to take out NamJeon?  And he has left behind his sword and his bow with his and Yeon's name on it and HeeJae's silk headband.  He has taken up the sword that Yeon was killed with.  Does this mean he cannot let his heart's feelings for HeeJae continue until he has revenged Yeon's death?  And is he still working with BangWon?  Is he still receiving intelligence from HeeJae?

One theme that has impressed me is that Whi's father, SeoGeom, has influenced so many lives even though he is dead and gone.      

I loved those thoughts! Specially the bow one! I'm curious as well as to whether he's still in contact with them, but it doesn't seem to be. In the summary for episode 11, it says 'the unexpected appearance of Hwi who disappears for 6 years', I doubt he was in contact with anyone, yet why appearing now? Why 6 years? Who was with him? How did he spend those years? Countless questions with gaps to be filled. 

Seo Geom's effect! I think there will be more room for it in the episodes to come, it will influence the events and taking Namjeon down. 

Namjeon's blood will be on who's sword: Hwi? Or Sunho? Or perhaps, another scenario?

BTS

From next episode's preview we will see Hwi went to Bang Won before the time jump. Perhaps we'll also get a scene of him with Hee Jae. He didn't leave his bow behind because look at the picture below (from episode 1). The headband is still there. When Hee Jae went to see Hwi, he was at the riverside it didn't mean he didn't go back after on his way to see Bang Won. Of course there's also a possibility that after 6 years he meets up with his gang/Hee Jae and took the bow with him.

d.png

What's interesting is now Seon Ho also ties the headband Yeon made for him on his sword as a reminder of his sin.

d.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I dont think so, he just mentioned Hwil resembles someone he knows

True Bang Won never told Hwi who exactly that person he look up to. He just said he resembles him. 

• Like 2

HanCinema's News] Jo Yi-hyun Talks About "My Country: The New Age"

While she isn't the star of "My Country: The New Age", the historical drama has been a major opportunity for actress Jo Yi-hyun, who plays the role of Seo Yeon, the younger sister of lead character Seo Hwo, who is played by Yang Se-jong. The young actress only started working in 2017 at the age of eighteen, and "My Country: The New Age" is her first historical drama.....

https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-jo-yi-hyun-talks-about-my-country-the-new-age-135265.htm

• Like 3