[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

12 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Does she know the one who saved her was Hwi's father?

She knew it since the beginning of Episode 2 already from the flashback. That's why she answered Lady Seol that her relation with Hwi is fate. She also said you two are exactly alike, referring to Hwi and his father, though Hwi didn't understand what she meant - he probably thought she talked about him and Yeon. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, melp said:

She knew it since the beginning of Episode 2 already from the flashback. That's why she answered Lady Seol that her relation with Hwi is fate. She also said you two are exactly alike, referring to Hwi and his father, though Hwi didn't understand what she meant - he probably thought she talked about him and Yeon. 

Oh thanks!

So now both HJ and BW know that Hwi is SG's son, but they didn't tell him they know.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Oh thanks!

So now both HJ and BW know that Hwi is SG's son, but they didn't tell him they know.

I think BW told Hwi in Episode 9 that Hwi's father was like a teacher and father to him.

Just when everything seemed rosy and seemed to be going in the right direction..bam!  More grief and suffering.

Whi's and BangWon's elegant plot works, NamJeon is utterly humiliated and pretty much dead.  Whi and his Three Musketeers are all alive and well, Yeon's memory is restored and she is back with Whi, Whi and HeeJae are reunited and confess their love again and even toothless MunBok's relationship with HwaWol advances.  They all have a happy meal together over some seemingly bad food cooked up by HwaWol, but in this life who cares if she can't cook - life is grand! 

I would have been fine if Whi and Yeon sailed down that river and found a peaceful place in Joseon to settle down, far from the power of the evil capital.  Whi then sends for HeeJae and his 3 brothers in arms and they all live happily together on a beautiful, small rural farm.  SeonHo realizes the errors of his ways by following in his evil father's footsteps and joins Whi and ends up marrying Yeon.  Munbok gets his teeth cleaned and marries HwaWol and everybody survives, has many happy babies and the sun sets on their happiness.  That would have been a fine way to end this story.  Everybody has suffered enough.

But no.  The king pardons NamJeon, who sends soldiers to kill Whi and Yeon.  Even though both SeonHo and Whi try valiantly, Yeon tragically dies at the hands of  NamJeon's soldier.  Tragedy.  Utter devastation and sadness.  Yep, I even knew it was coming - I still cried.

Everybody on the internet has been cursing poor Gyeol - why did he just stand there as Yeon gets run through with a sword?  True, any man would have rushed to save her, especially a trained swordsman.  But he is there to protect HeeJae, no one else.  With armed soldiers coming from all directions his duty is to be HeeJae's shield.  But still.

The scene where the grieving Hwi enters the river to drown himself and to join Yeon was beautiful.  The butterfly comes and Whi is convinced it is Yeon telling him to stay and live.  Very poetic and touching.

So now I'm a little confused about Hwi's motivation.  Is he on a one man revenge streak to take out NamJeon?  And he has left behind his sword and his bow with his and Yeon's name on it and HeeJae's silk headband.  He has taken up the sword that Yeon was killed with.  Does this mean he cannot let his heart's feelings for HeeJae continue until he has revenged Yeon's death?  And is he still working with BangWon?  Is he still receiving intelligence from HeeJae?

One theme that has impressed me is that Whi's father, SeoGeom, has influenced so many lives even though he is dead and gone.  Whi and Yeon, obviously.  HeeJae because he is the one who fought to save her mother and saved her life.  And now HeeJae is trying to repay SoGeom by saving his son and daughter.  Park Chi-Do served with him in the army and has taken Whi under his wing and is protecting him.  And even BangWon is protecting Whi because of the man his father was.  It shows you how a good man's life can effect the lives and decisions of the next generation.  Even more than an evil man like NamJeon who is still alive and powerful.  Will the honor and goodness of SeoGeom rise up from the grave and defeat NamJeon in life?  We can only hope to witness that event!           

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, luvtokki said:

So now I'm a little confused about Hwi's motivation.  Is he on a one man revenge streak to take out NamJeon?  And he has left behind his sword and his bow with his and Yeon's name on it and HeeJae's silk headband.  He has taken up the sword that Yeon was killed with.  Does this mean he cannot let his heart's feelings for HeeJae continue until he has revenged Yeon's death?  And is he still working with BangWon?  Is he still receiving intelligence from HeeJae?

One theme that has impressed me is that Whi's father, SeoGeom, has influenced so many lives even though he is dead and gone.      

I loved those thoughts! Specially the bow one! I'm curious as well as to whether he's still in contact with them, but it doesn't seem to be. In the summary for episode 11, it says 'the unexpected appearance of Hwi who disappears for 6 years', I doubt he was in contact with anyone, yet why appearing now? Why 6 years? Who was with him? How did he spend those years? Countless questions with gaps to be filled. 

Seo Geom's effect! I think there will be more room for it in the episodes to come, it will influence the events and taking Namjeon down. 

Namjeon's blood will be on who's sword: Hwi? Or Sunho? Or perhaps, another scenario?

BTS

From next episode's preview we will see Hwi went to Bang Won before the time jump. Perhaps we'll also get a scene of him with Hee Jae. He didn't leave his bow behind because look at the picture below (from episode 1). The headband is still there. When Hee Jae went to see Hwi, he was at the riverside it didn't mean he didn't go back after on his way to see Bang Won. Of course there's also a possibility that after 6 years he meets up with his gang/Hee Jae and took the bow with him.

d.png

What's interesting is now Seon Ho also ties the headband Yeon made for him on his sword as a reminder of his sin.

d.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

HanCinema's News] Jo Yi-hyun Talks About "My Country: The New Age"

While she isn't the star of "My Country: The New Age", the historical drama has been a major opportunity for actress Jo Yi-hyun, who plays the role of Seo Yeon, the younger sister of lead character Seo Hwo, who is played by Yang Se-jong. The young actress only started working in 2017 at the age of eighteen, and "My Country: The New Age" is her first historical drama.....

https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-jo-yi-hyun-talks-about-my-country-the-new-age-135265.htm

• Like 3

13 hours ago, luvtokki said:

One theme that has impressed me is that Whi's father, SeoGeom, has influenced so many lives even though he is dead and gone.  Whi and Yeon, obviously.  HeeJae because he is the one who fought to save her mother and saved her life.  And now HeeJae is trying to repay SoGeom by saving his son and daughter.  Park Chi-Do served with him in the army and has taken Whi under his wing and is protecting him.  And even BangWon is protecting Whi because of the man his father was.  It shows you how a good man's life can effect the lives and decisions of the next generation.  Even more than an evil man like NamJeon who is still alive and powerful.  Will the honor and goodness of SeoGeom rise up from the grave and defeat NamJeon in life?  We can only hope to witness that event!           

IMO he works on his own because he doesn't want anyone close to him will be harm by Nam Jeon. Remember when he rush to killed NJ right after Yeon's death? He was being humiliated by Nam Jeon. He fell in front of him and can't move because of the poison and NJ is very cynical and sarcastic telling him that he is not his match and he did not knew him well (e.g how can he did not think NJ will have plan B like putting the poison on the dagger). By that time, I think Hwi already gave up to revenge and just wanted to end himself but the white butterfly like you said saved him and telling him to stay around. That is his turning point. So he left, and did not contact with anyone for 6 years (as we can assume now).

As for his feelings for HJ, yes he made a promise to not left again but that was when he thought thinks are going for the better for them, for him and Yeon. But when the tragedy strikes, part of him or I can say most of him has died together with Yeon. imo, he must feel he does not deserved to be happy before he takes his revenge. Nothing matters to him other than taking Nam Jeon's life. 

As for the sword, I think it is a metaphor. He left his old sword and bow is like a symbolic of telling us that the old 'Hwi' has died. He came back as the whole new person. The new sword he is holding (the one that killed Yeon) if he still holding on to that sword, I can guarantee that he wanted to kill Nam Jeon with the very same sword. He wanted Nam Jeon blood dripping on that sword just how that sword was covered by his sister's blood once. 

I agree with you about Seo Geom, his good deeds lived in the lifes of his students and the ones he helped before. Because of that, these people decided to help his son and daughter even when he is no longer around. I like this arc in this drama that Seo Geom some sort leaving behind trusted people to look after Hwi in his place. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Jang Young Nam Talks About Her Role In “My Country” + Praises Co-Star AOA’s Seolhyun

2c3d58f916224be798a1e4313f1d2010.jpeg?s=

Jang Young Nam recently sat down for an interview to discuss her drama “My Country”!

JTBC’s “My Country” stars Yang Se Jong as Seo Hwi, Woo Do Hwan as Nam Seon Ho, and AOA’s Seolhyun as Han Hee Jae in a story about the conflict between the desire for power and the desire for protection. It is set between the end of the Goryeo Dynasty and the beginning of the Joseon Dynasty.

Jang Young Nam played Seo Seol, the head of the Yihwaru courtesan house. Yihwaru is not a regular courtesan house, but rather a central location for the flow of information. Seo Seol established Yihwaru after realizing early on that information would soon become money and power. Seo Seol played a large role in the drama as a mentor and mother-figure to Han Hee Jae, so viewers were left devastated after her death in episode 10.

Jang Young Nam remarked, “[Seo Seol] is seemingly a cold realist, but she has a warm heart to protect what is precious to her. I thought this charming aspect [of her personality] could be revealed through her relationship with Hee Jae. So although Seo Seol gives Hee Jae realistic advice in a cold manner when she talks with her, I tried to express the warmth of a mother’s concern for her daughter.”

When asked about Seo Seol’s unique strength of utilizing information and secrets to empower herself, Jang Young Nam responded, “Seo Seol sold containers full of the world’s desires and secrets to buy gold and protect precious individuals through the process of building up the power of Yihwaru. I think [Seo Seol’s] power was in her practical insight and crisis management abilities. Rather than sticking to outdated principles, she could protect her precious things from danger by judging the situation with her quick wit and sometimes even making compromises.”

The actress then talked about working with AOA’s Seolhyun. She commented, “Seolhyun is usually quiet and calm, but the look in her eyes when she’s acting says that she has a formidable determination in her. She’s very serious about the drama and acting, and she is filled with sensitivities, so I felt motivated as a senior [actress] when we acted together. That’s why I was always filled with satisfaction when we worked together. I looked forward to displaying these feelings to the viewers through our great chemistry.”

Jang Young Nam then expressed her gratitude towards the director, staff, and actors of “My Country” and asked viewers to keep watching the drama until the end.

The upcoming episode of “My Country” will air on November 8 at 10:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1363794wpp/jang-young-nam-talks-about-her-role-in-my-country-praises-co-star-aoas-seolhyun

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 6:29 AM, Prettysup said:

I dont think so, he just mentioned Hwil resembles someone he knows

You're right. I think BW said Hwi resembles someone, but BW seems to know that Hwi is Geom's son.

Okay, nitpick. I realize that Hwi is finally putting his hair up 6 years later (Thank you, I had enough of that shaggy mane of his!) to make him look like HARD HWI, but ... that teddy bear face of his just ... HAHAHA, he's just too cute to look like a vicious killer that he's now supposed to be or whatever.

I'm going to enjoy watching Nam Jeon die eventually. I like the actor, but he's too good at playing a weasel, that I kind of hate him now.

On 11/3/2019 at 4:17 AM, mademoisellesia said:

I spent weeks binge-watching Six Flying Dragons just to get a grasp of the end of Goryeo and beginning of Joseon history, and reading Wikipedia on the historical figures back-to-back while watching. All in all the drama heroized all the main characters a bit too much for my liking, so I much prefer the portrayal of Yi Seong Gye and Yi Bang Won in My Country. Six Flying Dragons is considered pretty fictional and has Wuxia's element in it, but it did help me understand this show a bit better and who is who when they mentioned these people in My Country even though these historical figures did not appear in the drama.

Because of Jeong Do Jeon. Quote from Wikipedia: "Jeong Dojeon saw Joseon as a kingdom led by ministers while the king was to be largely symbolic figure, whereas Yi Bang-won wanted to establish the absolute monarchy ruled directly by the king." Though in the end, the power went back to the hands of the Ministers in latter Joseon dynasty.

In Six Flying Dragons, Jeong Do Jeon also wanted to implement the "5 principles" where one of the principles is that no Royals or relatives of Royals can participate in politics. I don't know if this is real in history, but this is what irks Yi Bang Won.

----

FYI in case others do not know, Jeong Dojeon was an adviser to Yi Seong-gye and also the principal architect of the Joseon dynasty's policies, laying down the kingdom's ideological, institutional, and legal frameworks which would govern it for five centuries.

In recent press con, PD mentioned a lot of people asked him why isn't Jeong Do Jeon featured in this drama (I wondered the same esp. after learning how important his role is in establishing Joseon dynasty). The PD explained that he wouldn't be able to create a drama that would be different to other sageuk the moment Jeong Do Jeon appears in it.

I agree. It would be difficult to feature Jeong Do Jeon as only a side character. His influence in this era is huge. (All my Korean history knowledge was learned from dramas, by the way.)

I do recommend both "Six Flying Dragons" and "Tree with Deep Roots" if you haven't seen them, and have about about 75 spare hours in your life. They're very good. (Jang Hyuk stars in "Tree with Deep Roots!")

• Like 2

22 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Okay, nitpick. I realize that Hwi is finally putting his hair up 6 years later (Thank you, I had enough of that shaggy mane of his!) to make him look like HARD HWI, but ... that teddy bear face of his just ... HAHAHA, he's just too cute to look like a vicious killer that he's now supposed to be or whatever.

I agree. It would be difficult to feature Jeong Do Jeon as only a side character. His influence in this era is huge. (All my Korean history knowledge was learned from dramas, by the way.)

I do recommend both "Six Flying Dragons" and "Tree with Deep Roots" if you haven't seen them, and have about about 75 spare hours in your life. They're very good. (Jang Hyuk stars in "Tree with Deep Roots!")

HAHAHA at your statement about YSJ's face. True that it did cross my mind from the very beginning (of their shower scene) that Hwi looks too meaty (not muscly) for someone who is poor to the point that they don't have enough food. If he had lose a bit more weight and look like how he was in Duel I think it might be more realistic. :P

I do have the intention of watching Tree with Deep Roots, and have tried first episode last night but boy oh boy, it's so heavy. Six Flying Dragons got heavier towards the end. This one is heavy from the very beginning! And...LOL-ed at Jang Hyuk's simulation of his assassination attempt on King Sejong. It's so exaggerated I just can't not nitpick... hahahahaha. I'll have to pick it back up again another time when I'm in the mood for heavy drama. The good thing is this feels like a continuation from Six Flying Dragons, so I get to continue my learning of Joseon history. What happened to some of these historical figures esp. Jeong Do Jeon is really sad though. He contributed so much and then get murdered because his vision of Joseon differs to that one person.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Haha I kind of prefer Hwi with that shaggy mane, looks much hotter. His new hairdo makes his face look rather chubby to me.

4 hours ago, mademoisellesia said:

HAHAHA at your statement about YSJ's face. True that it did cross my mind from the very beginning (of their shower scene) that Hwi looks too meaty (not muscly) for someone who is poor to the point that they don't have enough food. If he had lose a bit more weight and look like how he was in Duel I think it might be more realistic. :P

I do have the intention on watching Tree with Deep Roots, and have tried first episode last night but boy oh boy, it's so heavy. Six Flying Dragons got heavier towards the end. This one is heavy from the very beginning! And...LOL-ed at Jang Hyuk's simulation of his assassination attempt on King Sejong. It's so exaggerated I just can't not nitpick... hahahahaha. I'll have to pick it back up again another time when I'm in the mood for heavy drama. The good thing is this feels like a continuation from Six Flying Dragons, so I get to continue my learning of Joseon history. What happened to some of these historical figures esp. Jeong Do Jeon is really sad though. He contributed so much and then get murdered because his vision of Joseon differs to that one person.

And I think you should try Tree with Deep Roots, it makes me appreciate Korean alphabet

• Like 3

Yeah agree with you all regarding Hwi's looks and I mentioned that before. Compared to WDH's built, WDH has got more muscles on him, I think it's intentional. 

I like the shaggy mane lol, and I loved how they transformed him, from the period before the war when they got advantage of his babyface, to the shabby hair look (which I like), to my favorite look with the long hair and the rain/thunder background, he looks so good and it really matches the transformation in his character. 

Now the bamboo scene was shot so beautifully, but the drawback was his face, it looks too cute to serve for revenge lol. They could've at least worked on his makeup to give him a sharp look like what they've managed to do so far, but is it intentional showing him with his chubby face? Maybe. 

• Like 1