Quantcast
RPM

[ MAINLAND CHINESE DRAMA 2019 ] The Untamed 陈情令

On 9/17/2019 at 4:15 PM, LanaLiz said:

@frostflower14 Can you also PM me a link to the translation, please?

Also, does anyone know if there will be a season 2 to The Untamed? I ask because it seemed odd to leave the cunning younger half brother coming lose where he could still cause troubles especially now that his older half brother is dead and he wanted the role Lan Zhang ended up getting in cultivation.

one question:how is the older half brother DEAD?

4 hours ago, Kittycreamz said:

The older brother you're referring to is??

On 1/28/2020 at 10:19 AM, Kittycreamz said:

Do you mean the Nie brothers? No, there will not be a second season. Nie Huaisang doesn’t really have designs on the role if you pay attention to the last conversation he had with WWX (something like if it is meant to be yours, it’s yours). His aim was always to avenge his brother’s death. Nie Mingjue’s head was cut off by Xueyang on Jin Kuangyao’s instructions. Before that, Jin Kuangyao secretly switched the music played to calm his nerves to something that will make him slowly go mad.

So many months have passed since the drama first air and I still can't get over it. Anyone feeling the same??? This is so terrible.

One thing I really love about this drama is the amount of thought put in by the production team to work around the broadcasting restrictions to try to satisfy fans. There are so many fan service hidden in the drama that I feel like I'm treasure hunting every time I watch the drama. My most favourite fan service got to be a scene hidden in ep 43. It is so hard to spot and I am really amazed with the fan who spotted it. At around 29 min 35s, the scene cuts to the entrance of the hut. If you zoom in, you will see WWX taking off his clothes. Just before the camera moves up to show the name of the place, you can even see the belt falling to the ground. Now we know why someone kept falling asleep the next day :D

1565969972803719803water1565984295044.jp

• Like 2

^I didn't noticed that, until I read it on other sites too. Some fans are very good at pointing out the small details. Now, I'm going to check it out^^.

edit: It was hard to spot it, so I have to paused every seconds lol. I finally saw it, and then it's hard to see it again. So, we can assumed they spend the night together^^. This is just me, but if you look at around 30:18, WY have a look of "something" that makes him glanced at LZ in a way. This has got to be one of the best xiaxian BL. I am still in withdrawal sometimes^^. It's so hard to move away, but also very bittersweet to watched it again----when I know how sad everything is, and the difficulties the characters went through^^.

6 hours ago, rosierosie said:

This has got to be one of the best xiaxian BL. I am still in withdrawal sometimes^^. It's so hard to move away, but also very bittersweet to watched it again----when I know how sad everything is, and the difficulties the characters went through^^.

Yes! Although some novel fans might disagree but I think tencent did a great job with the adaptation given all the restrictions they face. The casting is really good too. Although I can't really imagine Yibo as LWJ at first but he kind of grew on me as the show progresses.

Ep43 is a really special episode. First you have LWZ letting his hair down (according to Lan family's teachings, you can only let down your hair infront of your parents or companion) and looking ready to be tucked into bed then you have WWX undressing and feeling sleepy the next day. After that you have the lovey-dovey scenes of them playing with the rabbit and WWX telling the rabbit it can never get out of his hands so just stay put and also the infamous scene of WWX riding on the pony. Put all together and it feels like they are having a honeymoon after confirming their relationship :rolleyes:

• Love 1

Another fan service that is not easily spotted if the translations are not done is in ep31 when LWJ wrote to WWX to ask him to attend JL's 100 day celebration.

2019072515_d789ff5f336e4719aaee470048408

You can see a dot at the end of the first sentence where LWJ ask WWX if he is well today. There are no punctuations in the past so the dot was put at the end of that sentence intentionally to reflect LWJ pausing (to think about WWX) after asking about his well-being. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 抹茶.Latte said:

Yes! Although some novel fans might disagree but I think tencent did a great job with the adaptation given all the restrictions they face. The casting is really good too. Although I can't really imagine Yibo as LWJ at first but he kind of grew on me as the show progresses.

Ep43 is a really special episode. First you have LWZ letting his hair down (according to Lan family's teachings, you can only let down your hair infront of your parents or companion) and looking ready to be tucked into bed then you have WWX undressing and feeling sleepy the next day. After that you have the lovey-dovey scenes of them playing with the rabbit and WWX telling the rabbit it can never get out of his hands so just stay put and also the infamous scene of WWX riding on the pony. Put all together and it feels like they are having a honeymoon after confirming their relationship :rolleyes:

Which pony infamous scene^^??? Which part where LZ put down all his hair???

Also, when LZ captured the roosters and gifted to WY when he was sleep walking lol^^---it represented them.

Yeah, some fans of the novel doesn't like the adaptation. With what I saw, I really like it. Maybe because I didn't read the novel before I know about the live version??? I know sometimes it happens when one like the novel better than the movie, or vice versa. Even some fans thought the ending could be better, but I think it was good. At the end, LZ come back and called out to WY :)!!! Even though his face wasn't showing, but I view it as that he came back for him^^---his lover.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rosierosie said:

Which pony infamous scene^^??? Which part where LZ put down all his hair???

Also, when LZ captured the roosters and gifted to WY when he was sleep walking lol^^---it represented them.

Yeah, some fans of the novel doesn't like the adaptation. With what I saw, I really like it. Maybe because I didn't read the novel before I know about the live version??? I know sometimes it happens when one like the novel better than the movie, or vice versa. Even some fans thought the ending could be better, but I think it was good. At the end, LZ come back and called out to WY :)!!! Even though his face wasn't showing, but I view it as that he came back for him^^---his lover.

Towards the end of ep43 you get the scene of WWX riding a pony. In the novel, WWX asked LWJ to lift him up the pony like what his dad did for his mum. Although we did not get to see WWX being lifted up by LWJ but he was sitting sideways on the pony which suggests he was lifted up :rolleyes:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. LZ did not put all his hair down but he did not put the crown on when him and WWX were in the hut. I am not sure what is the English word for it but in Chinese customs its equivalent to him letting his hair down. He only did it a few times in the show and it was always when he was with WWX. 

Yeah, I read in other forums that for shows adapted based on BL novels, the males leads are not allowed to be in the same frame for the ending. It either has to be one dead and the other alive or they have to go their own ways. Given these restrictions, I think we already have the best ending possible for the drama adaptation. I'm not sure if you saw but there was a white figure reflected in WWX eyes at the end and at around 41:42 after we hear someone call WY you can see a white clothing in the background under WWX right armpit. So LZ definitely came back for WWX or they may have met each other again after a few years :wub:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 抹茶.Latte said:

Towards the end of ep43 you get the scene of WWX riding a pony. In the novel, WWX asked LWJ to lift him up the pony like what his dad did for his mum. Although we did not get to see WWX being lifted up by LWJ but he was sitting sideways on the pony which suggests he was lifted up :rolleyes:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. LZ did not put all his hair down but he did not put the crown on when him and WWX were in the hut. I am not sure what is the English word for it but in Chinese customs its equivalent to him letting his hair down. He only did it a few times in the show and it was always when he was with WWX. 

Yeah, I read in other forums that for shows adapted based on BL novels, the males leads are not allowed to be in the same frame for the ending. It either has to be one dead and the other alive or they have to go their own ways. Given these restrictions, I think we already have the best ending possible for the drama adaptation. I'm not sure if you saw but there was a white figure reflected in WWX eyes at the end and at around 41:42 after we hear someone call WY you can see a white clothing in the background under WWX right armpit. So LZ definitely came back for WWX or they may have met each other again after a few years :wub:

No need to say sorry^^. Which ep when they were in the hut? Now, I'm going to go back and check out ep 43^^!!!

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about BL adaptation that the male leads cannot be in the same frame :(. I wish for a day where China can allow BL to roam freely!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 抹茶.Latte said:

I think you can call it a forehead ribbon and to the Lan Family/Sect, it symbolises restraint.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rosierosie said:

No need to say sorry^^. Which ep when they were in the hut? Now, I'm going to go back and check out ep 43^^!!!

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about BL adaptation that the male leads cannot be in the same frame :(. I wish for a day where China can allow BL to roam freely!!!

Its ep 43 also. When they were hanging around LZ's bachelor pad XD. LZ's hair is tied into a half ponytail without the crown.

Would be nice if they could release any unreleased footages then :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

I think you can call it a forehead ribbon and to the Lan Family/Sect, it symbolises restraint.

Oh I'm trying to find the English word for 束发 (shu fa) i.e. the hair must be held in the crown. I guess I will just describe it this way :lol:

13 minutes ago, 抹茶.Latte said:

Oh I'm trying to find the English word for 束发 (shu fa) i.e. the hair must be held in the crown. I guess I will just describe it this way :lol:

Oh, I thought you meant 抹额. As for the hair bound at the top, I guess you can call it a topknot.

38 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

Oh, I thought you meant 抹额. As for the hair bound at the top, I guess you can call it a topknot.

Ah yes. Sounds cute :lol:

Qing Xin Yin - The song which LZ played to help WY stabilise his emotions is modified from a Chinese oldie call 其实你不懂我的心 which roughly translates to You Don't Understand My Heart. 清 (qing) here which has the meaning of clear also sounds the same as 倾 (qing) which means like. Really sneaky production team eh?

Rough translation of lyrics:

You say I'm like the cloud, unpredictable

Actually you don't understand my heart

You say I'm like a dream, so near yet far

Actually you don't understand my heart

You say I'm like a mystery, baffling

Actually I'm using nonchalance to hide my true feelings

I'm afraid I can't bear the weight of my love for you

So I keep a distance from you

You say you are going afar

I grieve secretly

(I’m) not letting you see the tears that filled my eyes

• Like 2

Does the international version of the drama comes with Chinese commercials? There are some plots in the novel which could not be included in the drama but is presented subtly / hinted at in the commercials. My favourite one is the Coca Cola commercial played before ep 41 and 42.

In the commercial we see LZ playing the chinese zither and then saying something before looking lovingly at two white flowers. What he said just before looking lovingly at the flowers is "What is the most precious secret in the world? Our secret."

35d4199d0e814a648a5e0df6c3b3d9d3.jpeg

The two flowers refer to two "secrets" in the novel. The first represents the flower LZ took from WY after he kissed the blindfolded WY during the hunting trip on Phoenix Mountain. The second represents the flower WY threw at LZ when LZ visited Lotus Pier.The flower landed on LZ hair and he subsequently made it into a bookmark.

:wub::wub::wub:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:00 AM, 抹茶.Latte said:

Does the international version of the drama comes with Chinese commercials? There are some plots in the novel which could not be included in the drama but is presented subtly / hinted at in the commercials. My favourite one is the Coca Cola commercial played before ep 41 and 42.

In the commercial we see LZ playing the chinese zither and then saying something before looking lovingly at two white flowers. What he said just before looking lovingly at the flowers is "What is the most precious secret in the world? Our secret."

35d4199d0e814a648a5e0df6c3b3d9d3.jpeg

The two flowers refer to two "secrets" in the novel. The first represents the flower LZ took from WY after he kissed the blindfolded WY during the hunting trip on Phoenix Mountain. The second represents the flower WY threw at LZ when LZ visited Lotus Pier.The flower landed on LZ hair and he subsequently made it into a bookmark.

:wub::wub::wub:

How cute^^!!!! If only we could have see those scenes in the drama :)!!! *heart swoon*!!!!

I wondered what a modern drama would be like for the Untamed??? It's cliche, but imagined WJ is the Chief of Police, and his mission is to captured WY----but then, he falls in love with him in the process. Lol.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rosierosie said:

How cute^^!!!! If only we could have see those scenes in the drama :)!!! *heart swoon*!!!!

I wondered what a modern drama would be like for the Untamed??? It's cliche, but imagined WJ is the Chief of Police, and his mission is to captured WY----but then, he falls in love with him in the process. Lol.

Yes!! I'm going through the novel again because I just cannot bear to watch ep25 of the drama and there are so many things from the novel that I wish they have included in the drama! I am getting so greedy because I just cannot get enough of the drama.

Lol... If LZ is the Chief of Police, WY is going to be permanently handcuffed to LZ! I once saw a fan art of LZ as the owner of an antique shop and WY as a student. That was nice too!

• Like 1

Anybody who is not satisfied with the ending of the drama can try looking for the special edition online. The ending is bound to make you happy :wub:

I am rewatching the drama again and haven't been able to get pass ep25 where WY took the Wen remnants to Burial Mount. This ep always makes me especially sad as it marks the beginning of the point of no return for WY. To make myself feel better, I have been going through fmvs and came across one which is quite meaningful. 

English translation of the lyrics can be found here. It's basically a song about sending a loved one away and the video editor summarised the meeting and parting of various prominent pairs in the show which I find to be quite meaningful. Enjoy!

• Like 1