[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Untamed 陈情令

RPM

2 hours ago, rosierosie said:

No need to say sorry^^. Which ep when they were in the hut? Now, I'm going to go back and check out ep 43^^!!!

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about BL adaptation that the male leads cannot be in the same frame :(. I wish for a day where China can allow BL to roam freely!!!

Its ep 43 also. When they were hanging around LZ's bachelor pad XD. LZ's hair is tied into a half ponytail without the crown.

Would be nice if they could release any unreleased footages then :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

I think you can call it a forehead ribbon and to the Lan Family/Sect, it symbolises restraint.

Oh I'm trying to find the English word for 束发 (shu fa) i.e. the hair must be held in the crown. I guess I will just describe it this way :lol:

13 minutes ago, 抹茶.Latte said:

Oh I'm trying to find the English word for 束发 (shu fa) i.e. the hair must be held in the crown. I guess I will just describe it this way :lol:

Oh, I thought you meant 抹额. As for the hair bound at the top, I guess you can call it a topknot.

Qing Xin Yin - The song which LZ played to help WY stabilise his emotions is modified from a Chinese oldie call 其实你不懂我的心 which roughly translates to You Don't Understand My Heart. 清 (qing) here which has the meaning of clear also sounds the same as 倾 (qing) which means like. Really sneaky production team eh?

Rough translation of lyrics:

You say I'm like the cloud, unpredictable

Actually you don't understand my heart

You say I'm like a dream, so near yet far

Actually you don't understand my heart

You say I'm like a mystery, baffling

Actually I'm using nonchalance to hide my true feelings

I'm afraid I can't bear the weight of my love for you

So I keep a distance from you

You say you are going afar

I grieve secretly

(I’m) not letting you see the tears that filled my eyes

• Like 2

Does the international version of the drama comes with Chinese commercials? There are some plots in the novel which could not be included in the drama but is presented subtly / hinted at in the commercials. My favourite one is the Coca Cola commercial played before ep 41 and 42.

In the commercial we see LZ playing the chinese zither and then saying something before looking lovingly at two white flowers. What he said just before looking lovingly at the flowers is "What is the most precious secret in the world? Our secret."

35d4199d0e814a648a5e0df6c3b3d9d3.jpeg

The two flowers refer to two "secrets" in the novel. The first represents the flower LZ took from WY after he kissed the blindfolded WY during the hunting trip on Phoenix Mountain. The second represents the flower WY threw at LZ when LZ visited Lotus Pier.The flower landed on LZ hair and he subsequently made it into a bookmark.

:wub::wub::wub:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:00 AM, 抹茶.Latte said:

Does the international version of the drama comes with Chinese commercials? There are some plots in the novel which could not be included in the drama but is presented subtly / hinted at in the commercials. My favourite one is the Coca Cola commercial played before ep 41 and 42.

In the commercial we see LZ playing the chinese zither and then saying something before looking lovingly at two white flowers. What he said just before looking lovingly at the flowers is "What is the most precious secret in the world? Our secret."

35d4199d0e814a648a5e0df6c3b3d9d3.jpeg

The two flowers refer to two "secrets" in the novel. The first represents the flower LZ took from WY after he kissed the blindfolded WY during the hunting trip on Phoenix Mountain. The second represents the flower WY threw at LZ when LZ visited Lotus Pier.The flower landed on LZ hair and he subsequently made it into a bookmark.

:wub::wub::wub:

How cute^^!!!! If only we could have see those scenes in the drama :)!!! *heart swoon*!!!!

I wondered what a modern drama would be like for the Untamed??? It's cliche, but imagined WJ is the Chief of Police, and his mission is to captured WY----but then, he falls in love with him in the process. Lol.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rosierosie said:

How cute^^!!!! If only we could have see those scenes in the drama :)!!! *heart swoon*!!!!

I wondered what a modern drama would be like for the Untamed??? It's cliche, but imagined WJ is the Chief of Police, and his mission is to captured WY----but then, he falls in love with him in the process. Lol.

Yes!! I'm going through the novel again because I just cannot bear to watch ep25 of the drama and there are so many things from the novel that I wish they have included in the drama! I am getting so greedy because I just cannot get enough of the drama.

Lol... If LZ is the Chief of Police, WY is going to be permanently handcuffed to LZ! I once saw a fan art of LZ as the owner of an antique shop and WY as a student. That was nice too!

• Like 1

Anybody who is not satisfied with the ending of the drama can try looking for the special edition online. The ending is bound to make you happy :wub:

I am rewatching the drama again and haven't been able to get pass ep25 where WY took the Wen remnants to Burial Mount. This ep always makes me especially sad as it marks the beginning of the point of no return for WY. To make myself feel better, I have been going through fmvs and came across one which is quite meaningful. 

English translation of the lyrics can be found here. It's basically a song about sending a loved one away and the video editor summarised the meeting and parting of various prominent pairs in the show which I find to be quite meaningful. Enjoy!

• Like 1

^thanks for sharing, I will check it out^^. Now, I'm finishing the special edition and watching the donghua :)!!!

edit: The donghua is so nice. The animation is well done, and much better than I imagined. WWX is still so naughty and goofy. I really like the voice actor for LZ, he sounds so smooth---Kind of remind me of the voice actor for Yehua in TTMOPB. Is the donghua a bromance, because of restrictions too?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rosierosie said:

^thanks for sharing, I will check it out^^. Now, I'm finishing the special edition and watching the donghua :)!!!

edit: The donghua is so nice. The animation is well done, and much better than I imagined. WWX is still so naughty and goofy. I really like the voice actor for LZ, he sounds so smooth---Kind of remind me of the voice actor for Yehua in TTMOPB. Is the donghua a bromance, because of restrictions too?

Yeah! I love the donghua too! WWX is much more badass in the donghua than he is in the drama and closer to how he is in the novel. Would have been nice if they made WWX more badass in the drama too but I think they have to tone down the character because of broadcasting restrictions.

Woah. You are so sharp. It is the same voice actor. In fact, he is also the voice actor for LZ in the drama :rolleyes: I really like JYL's voice in the donghua too. Gentle but determined. 

I feel that the donghua seems more focused on the action and less on the interaction between the characters. If you want something more than bromance, I suggest you take a look at the manhua :wub: 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 抹茶.Latte said:

Yeah! I love the donghua too! WWX is much more badass in the donghua than he is in the drama and closer to how he is in the novel. Would have been nice if they made WWX more badass in the drama too but I think they have to tone down the character because of broadcasting restrictions.

Woah. You are so sharp. It is the same voice actor. In fact, he is also the voice actor for LZ in the drama :rolleyes: I really like JYL's voice in the donghua too. Gentle but determined. 

I feel that the donghua seems more focused on the action and less on the interaction between the characters. If you want something more than bromance, I suggest you take a look at the manhua :wub: 

What??!! So the voice for LZ is the same for Yehua in TTOPB^^!!! OMG, his voice is so smooth and nice! It also matched LZ's expressions and speech well.

3 hours ago, rosierosie said:

What??!! So the voice for LZ is the same for Yehua in TTOPB^^!!! OMG, his voice is so smooth and nice! It also matched LZ's expressions and speech well.

Yeah. And one of the fans made a video for The Untamed using a mixture of his voice over in TTOPB and The Untamed :lol:

At 1:05, they used what Yehua said to Susu when he married her - From today onwards, you are my wife. Since I married you, I will not let you down - for the scene where LZ and WY pray to the Jiang ancestors XD

There is also a part two from LZ POV

• Like 1

Some eagle-eyed fans spotted something lovey-dovey in a photo released together with the special edition of The Untamed. You can view a video of it here

Spoiler

Title of the video - The water shaped the rock into a heart shape, is it envy of us?

Beginning of the video - When we hold hands, the rock beside us becomes the shape of heart too.

Edit: Just found the screen cap online. You can see something whitish on a small rock / stepping stone near the center of the photo :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, 抹茶.Latte said:

Some eagle-eyed fans spotted something lovey-dovey in a photo released together with the special edition of The Untamed. You can view it here

Hide contents

Title of the video - The water shaped the rock into a heart shape, is it envy of us?

Beginning of the video - When we hold hands, the rock beside us becomes the shape of heart too.

And in a promo photo of the special edition, it has a Chinese character of Double Happiness, which is used on weddings in China. So they also basically confirmed what fans have been saying all along, that they really did get married when they bowed three times and it was filmed intentionally. These two are not bros, they're in love and married and end up together. Yes the ending in episode 50 shows that Wei Wuxian did come back to Cloud Recesses to Lan Wangji but there are still people who don't realize it, so the special edition re-edited it in a way that there is no doubt. Also? They showed us the real ending they were planning to all along, them in the waterfall together. 

favorite. BL. Adaptation. Ever

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bea said:

And in a promo photo of the special edition, it has a Chinese character of Double Happiness, which is used on weddings in China. So they also basically confirmed what fans have been saying all along, that they really did get married when they bowed three times and it was filmed intentionally. These two are not bros, they're in love and married and end up together. Yes the ending in episode 50 shows that Wei Wuxian did come back to Cloud Recesses to Lan Wangji but there are still people who don't realize it, so the special edition re-edited it in a way that there is no doubt. Also? They showed us the real ending they were planning to all along, them in the waterfall together. 

favorite. BL. Adaptation. Ever

Yeah! It is actually a poster made by WeTV Taiwan to celebrate the successful broadcast of the special edition of the drama. But we know exactly what they are celebrating instead with that Double Happiness word :wub: 

The bowing to ancestors three times is definitely intentional! Right after that three bow, WY spoke of Lady's Jiang's bad temper but he only bowed twice to apologise and pay his respect to her. Similarly, in ep 20 when WY and JC returned to Lotus Pier briefly to pay their respects to the ancestors after killing Wen Chao, they only bowed two times :wub:

EP-wwTgU8AA2xn_?format=jpg&name=medium

Rough translation of the Chinese text:

#Wefamily has a joyous occasion (note 囍 for marriage is used instead of the usual 喜)

Congratulations on the successful broadcast of The Untamed Special Edition

Finish this drama

#From now on you are mine

LZ *takes out sword and lift WY's head*  FROM NOW ON YOU ARE MINE 

:P:P:P

• Like 2

I've just finished the 1rst ep, I feel it's interesting especially ...the Love story

but I saw some comts people said that they changed a little the story, it's not 

the original of manhwa ???!! I think bc the vewers are almost " desperated housewives " hehehehe

so there're restrictions, they can't doas the movie.

The same with " Love in the moonlight", the drama is different from the manhwa too

it's the shame !!! I'd like there are many " bromance" scenes !

Btw I'll finish this drama for sure

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 抹茶.Latte said:

Just an old interview with the producer of The Untamed regarding role selection. Yibo was actually eliminated twice and only got the role after the producer met him in person. What a close call! 

It's nice to see how they got picked to played their characters. Sometimes, the character they played is more or less similar to them^^. I cannot imagined anyone playing LZ and WY^^. Both XZ and YB were perfect for their role. They did justice for them. Of course, the donghua version was so nice to watch!!! I just finished it!! I like how in the donghua version, each event is short-but also clarify what's going to happened in the titled word. I have to say, the Jiang family and the relationships between the Jiang siblings really make an impact on my emotional roller coaster. I feel like they all suffered so much, even in the live action and donghua version. Also, Wen Ning and We Qing siblings' storyline were so sad too-in the live and donghua version. The Jiang family, from their loss at Lotus Cove to Yanli's death-so sad in both live and donghua versions. On a happier note, the donghua makes every characters look so good looking---even old man Jiang Fiengman and evil guy Wen Rouhan^^. The donghua creation exceed my expectations^^--really great Tencent did it!

• Like 1