[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Untamed 陈情令

RPM

5 hours ago, Sun Tzu said:

I think that giving chickens in some Asian tradition is a marriage proposal.

Yep you are right, AND they did the three bows too which in China means they are married

• Like 2

Lol im hooked! Interesting story! Im not into bl but i was curious about xiao zhan so i watched the drama! (and it has popped up on my netflix for awhile lol) Now im here for more info about the storyline, hello and thank you :lol:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NVKN said:

Lol im hooked! Interesting story! Im not into bl but i was curious about xiao zhan so i watched the drama! (and it has popped up on my netflix for awhile lol) Now im here for more info about the storyline, hello and thank you :lol:

It’s an interesting story . I watched on Netflix too :)

I think Xiao zhan did very well in this show. I was so immersed in his acting and story !

enjoy the show !!!!

• Like 4

Just recently got dragged down the Untamed/Mo Dao Zu Shi rabbit hole by a friend of mine. I was reluctant to do it at first. Fifty episodes? Each about an hour? (This was pre-COVID). That was more binge-watching material that I'd committed to in YEARS - ever since Japanese companies decided that nearly all non-Shonen Jump anime got 13 episodes and that was it. Did I really want to put myself through THAT MUCH material? Fine, I'd watch a few episodes and then maybe watch one a day after that . . .

I blew through the whole series in about two weeks.

The Untamed hit me unlike anything else I've seen in eons - the last time I can remember seeing such a potent mix of humor, heartbreak, drama, action and complex family drama was the original Fullmetal Alchemist, way back in the mid-aughts. Plus, it had the added layer of one of the most beautiful, heartfelt love stories I have ever seen - all without a single kiss being exchanged. This was definitely a case where actions speak louder than words. I was SERIOUSLY hooked. I followed up the drama with the animated series, and I'm planning to move on to the novel and comic next.

In exploring all the wonderful fanart people have done for this series, I've seen art for MXTX's other two novels - Scum Villain and Heaven Official's Blessing. Have either of them received animated or live action adaptations, and are those translated and readily available to Westerners? Thanks!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cornetto said:

Just recently got dragged down the Untamed/Mo Dao Zu Shi rabbit hole by a friend of mine. I was reluctant to do it at first. Fifty episodes? Each about an hour? (This was pre-COVID). That was more binge-watching material that I'd committed to in YEARS - ever since Japanese companies decided that nearly all non-Shonen Jump anime got 13 episodes and that was it. Did I really want to put myself through THAT MUCH material? Fine, I'd watch a few episodes and then maybe watch one a day after that . . .

I blew through the whole series in about two weeks.

The Untamed hit me unlike anything else I've seen in eons - the last time I can remember seeing such a potent mix of humor, heartbreak, drama, action and complex family drama was the original Fullmetal Alchemist, way back in the mid-aughts. Plus, it had the added layer of one of the most beautiful, heartfelt love stories I have ever seen - all without a single kiss being exchanged. This was definitely a case where actions speak louder than words. I was SERIOUSLY hooked. I followed up the drama with the animated series, and I'm planning to move on to the novel and comic next.

In exploring all the wonderful fanart people have done for this series, I've seen art for MXTX's other two novels - Scum Villain and Heaven Official's Blessing. Have either of them received animated or live action adaptations, and are those translated and readily available to Westerners? Thanks!

HOF have a animation coming out possibly in Aug 2020. There's a trailer you can check on youtube---Just type the name^^. Rumor has it that HOF is planning to do a live action, but they haven't found a suitable ML/MC actors yet. I hope soon, because now I'm currently reading HOB and I really like it^^. Since you like T.U., you might enjoy HOB^^.

On 1/31/2020 at 12:00 PM, 抹茶.Latte said:

Does the international version of the drama comes with Chinese commercials? There are some plots in the novel which could not be included in the drama but is presented subtly / hinted at in the commercials. My favourite one is the Coca Cola commercial played before ep 41 and 42.

In the commercial we see LZ playing the chinese zither and then saying something before looking lovingly at two white flowers. What he said just before looking lovingly at the flowers is "What is the most precious secret in the world? Our secret."

35d4199d0e814a648a5e0df6c3b3d9d3.jpeg

The two flowers refer to two "secrets" in the novel. The first represents the flower LZ took from WY after he kissed the blindfolded WY during the hunting trip on Phoenix Mountain. The second represents the flower WY threw at LZ when LZ visited Lotus Pier.The flower landed on LZ hair and he subsequently made it into a bookmark.

:wub::wub::wub:

I wish those had been included in the version I saw (Netflix - I'm planning to rewatch from YouTube, because I've heard that translation is more accurate). All those little tidbits of novel references - and it's also amusing as hell to see the anachronism of modern products in ancient China. Like the Cornetto ads during the donghua - including the product plugs blatantly inserted into the plot!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kennie1016 said:

I was initially attracted to Xiao Zhan's acting until I hear him sing. His voice is sooooo soothing. Check out Our Song TV series on YouTube. His collaboration with Na Ying and Emil Chow is amazingg. 

agreed!! He has a very soothing voice. If I'm not wrong, he was the main vocal in his band.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just started this over the weekend as I was in Wang Yibo withdrawal from "Gank Your Love" (which is a really good drama by the way).

I'm on Ep. 17 now. 

I tried watching this a year (?) a few months (?) ago, yet couldn't get into it as I was not familiar with cultivation, Xianxia at that time - I still don't know it but I've been reading some translated cnovels in the meantime since the lockdown (while procrastinating on my online courses XD). 

It was still very confusing for me, but I was motivated. They really don't explain much in the first 3 episode just dive you right into the story... 

Anyways, Wang Yibo is so stoic in this drama. Honestly I would have thought it was due to lack of experience, but I've seen him in Gank Your Heart...where he behaves more like a normal human XD. 

I like that there's a bit of action, a bit of mystery. There's definitely some bromance in this one. lol

So at work, I'm looping the song "Bu Wang" by Wang Yibo on Spotify. I think this is my favourite one from the OST. This song is quite sad... but it's so beautiful. I am imagine that the normally stoic Lan Wanji is very lonely (and drunk from Gusu’s Emperor’s Smile) and is singing this by his lonesome self under the moonlight... missing his good old friend Wei Ying :bawling:

This probably have been posted before, but this is probably my favourite video of Wang Yibo singinging Bu Wang: 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Guest changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Untamed 陈情令
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 5:34 PM, poipoipo said:

I've read so many good reviews of this drama..but i am not into BL. Is there anyone out there who loves this drama even though they weren't exactly into BL stuff from the get go? 

I’m not into BL and only read the novel after watching the drama partway. I quite enjoyed the drama especially its soundtrack. Xiaozhan really brought the character to life. Yibo was a bit stiff initially but got into the character later on. There are no explicit scenes and it’s all very subtle so you can take it as bromance if you prefer; that’s what some viewers who were unaware of its BL roots perceived it as. The pace of the last 5 episodes was slower so I don’t rewatch those much other than the ending but the rest were great.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poipoipo said:

I've read so many good reviews of this drama..but i am not into BL. Is there anyone out there who loves this drama even though they weren't exactly into BL stuff from the get go? 

This drama is captivating whether you're into BL or not. It was on my 'too watch' list quite a while because I wasn't sure if it was "my thing", even though the reviews were awesome. I actually started watching it out of boredom. :lol:

It's got an interesting storyline, character development, good BGM, humor, ambiguity.... I was surprised to find myself binge watching this drama. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 5:48 PM, 抹茶.Latte said:

As for the reaction edit video, I can't find the original video in youtube but it is originally posted on bilibili: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av60455946/?spm_id_from=333.788.b_636f6d6d656e74.39

It is not a long video to begin with. Not sure why the link does not work on mobile. Please open it from a computer.

The creator of the video mixed scenes from The Untamed and Yibo's CF for Home Facial Pro: 

The music used is Ayasa's The Reason Why (1:38 onwards)

Here’s a montage video clip with similar transitions 

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV13k4y1r77C/?spm_id_from=333.788.videocard.3

On 9/14/2020 at 3:34 AM, poipoipo said:

I wasn't either. I even watched it occasionally with my mom - and she has no idea to this day that it was BL. It's not a full blown romance and I think it's subtle. It's more about bromance in the drama version. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2020 at 11:34 AM, poipoipo said:

Yeah, I wasn't into BL stuff at all then this drama came... -_- it's dangerous, because of the censorship you don't exactly know what is coming towards you until you realize that you actually ship two males together for some reason. 

Also I almost dropped it twice because of the confusing first episodes well thanks god for all the hype I gave it one more go or who knows, someone described this fandom as quicksand and I cannot agree more. I mean it has been at least three months... when will I be able to watch anything else? When???

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

5:49...LZ was curious though...I liked that WWX added a flower in his drawing. 

Poor LZ when he saw the erotic drawing..  

For some reason I like it when they call each other by their birth names. 

37d8135d88f34633ad9dceb80c4026c1.jpg

Oh, the headband scene... 

WJ didnt hesitate to tie that headband  around WY's hand...ep 6

d8eb83f104d56b74036ef5da05b93242.jpg

Like the relationship between WJ and his sister.  She is quiet and kind. Her fiance is a bit weird. 

b9d3102b0486355c21abb5e45abbf92e.jpg

The first encounter was enough for WJ to notice that WWX is smart and knowledgeable. 

:lol:

ac4688dbb5273e9c57db59ea3d2aa1cc.gif

ctto

WWX - '' Lan Zhan, I will sleep on your roof tonight''   :wub:  ep 10

LZ smiled. 

9501c6b068cfc7581592c69af739fd95.jpg

52ee640e274a58f96b809a60abe4271f.jpg

Oh, WY traded his sword Whatever for the flute. This new WWX is indifferent and sad.  

LZ was the only one not at the banquet. WY noticed that.

Liked it when LZ played the instrument. WY left the banquet after that. ep 21

The Wen siblings are kind and WN is still loyal to WeiYing. 

db57f03afb29017f108b8bd224f8e920.jpg

Finally the Wen Clan story is over. 

LZ found the perfect way to help WY and that is music. 

That guy, Yao is cunning and persistent. 

that was so soothing scene...WY in that vine-colored robe looked so pretty.. 

d5d4bec12a910ffe22f3e619b4ea2e3d.jpg

263668111f9e76c3b958f75f287a1e5ebe2946f9

That flute is powerful and dangerous weapon.  

376a970c384fbc5593bfe7af934f02f6.jpg