[Weekend Event] Earn 2x Soompi Points
Update #9 is being installed. Service disruptions are expected. We apologize for the inconvenience.
RPM

[ MAINLAND CHINESE DRAMA 2019 ] The Untamed 陈情令

2 hours ago, El Lieu said:

Thank you so much for the explanation....

for #2...I thought it was Jin Guangyao that got his sword so they went into the Jin Guanyao chamber where wife was … he had WX's sword?

#3...did the Wen clan come out on their own though from burial ground?  Because for a year the rightoues group didn't go into attack them...

#4 I totally missed that part -- that Jin Guangyao was looking for his mom's corpse....in end he went behind -- was it to die with the corpse or die with Nie Huaisang's brother?

oh and I didn't understand -- why did WenLing suddenly appeared as a zombie with the dead Nie brother sword?  Did the sword control him?

I did see the subtle  hints by reading about them..haha..thanks….I do believe everyone has their right to love who they do...but I tend to like the bromance...I just thought drama did very well to make the homosexuality more subtle with those hints...because no way would the sexual content of the novel be able pass censhorship….is it me that I feel it was actually LanZhan who "fell in love" first...he got angry when he thought WX saved the girl from being burned on face....

there was a lot of nice parallels...like how lanzhan told his older brother he wanted to bring WX back to his old home where he grew up to "lock him up"...just like how his father did that to the mother...

#2, Yeah, Jiang Cheng only kept the flute, JGY kept the sword suibian, my bad.

#3, no they didn't come out. They were murdered at the burial mounds. 

#4, I think it was because he went to die with Nie Mingjue since he knew his time was up. And well, the temple was built over the old prostitution place where was basically raised so...It was because of resentful energy from what i remember, i have to watch it again.

In the drama, it's different and it looks as if they fell mutually in love since the beginning and wei wuxian was more conscious of his feelings, unlike in the novel where he's just oblivious for most of it. I mean, during the mianmian part if you notice, when he asks lan zhan if he likes mian mian, look at his hands. they turn into fists, and his body language is basically like he said it but he doesn't like that option xD

Also yes, but in the end he didn't do like his father, which is why he let him go in the end so that wei ying would travel by himself and not being "locked up" in cloud recesses. But eventually, Wei Ying returns in the end and it's just beautiful. This is a drama that must be watched more than once especially for new fans because during the first watch, you miss a lot of stuff. then you can watch it again calmly and notice new things 

Thank you so much!  Yes I am rewatching the special edition part.::as I just finished watching whole 50 chapters...some spots confusing to me....

I loved the older Jiang sister....so sad when she died didn’t even get to finish her sentence to him...it was dangerous yet she still came out to see him and didn’t blame him for her husbands death....what love!

and at first I was annoyed at Jiangchen...although i could see his brother love for WX throughout the show.....he couldn’t be as free to do whatever he wanted since he had a whole clan to take care of..and could only let lose WX...I think it was pure sadness frustration when he ppinted that final sword to WX but he still couldn’t get himself to kill WX...I can imagine his sadness without his sister or WX ....it really wasn’t till the end that shows how he risked his life to save WX...that showed how much he had he loved WX..And WX didn’t even know about it..so sad due to pride they didn’t say final goodbyes......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Lieu said:

I loved the older Jiang sister....so sad when she died didn’t even get to finish her sentence to him...it was dangerous yet she still came out to see him and didn’t blame him for her husbands death....what love!

and at first I was annoyed at Jiangchen...although i could see his brother love for WX throughout the show.....he couldn’t be as free to do whatever he wanted since he had a whole clan to take care of..and could only let lose WX...I think it was pure sadness frustration when he ppinted that final sword to WX but he still couldn’t get himself to kill WX...I can imagine his sadness without his sister or WX ....it really wasn’t till the end that shows how he risked his life to save WX...that showed how much he had he loved WX..And WX didn’t even know about it..so sad due to pride they didn’t say final goodbyes......

I misunderstood JC and didn't like him at the beginning too. Towards the end, I sympathized with him, and came to understand why he's the way he is. Yes, Yanli sister is the best. I have never watch a drama where a sister is so caring and loving towards her brothers. WX isn't her blood brother, but she loves him and treats him as her blood brother, I even joke she treats him better than JC^^. The three Jiang siblings is what makes this drama so awesome for me, their kinship towards each other is so ideal and makes you want to be there and take part in their kinship as a family.

• Love 1

On 3/10/2020 at 9:03 AM, butterchez said:

Dang this drama is on FIREEEE. I LOVEEEEED ITTTT. I can't get enough of wangxian i've read the novel and am listening to the audio drama, watching the anime, and reading the manhua all at the same time. Im even learning mandarin!!! XD I didn't know I was going to go so deep in the mdzs rabbit hole when I randomly started watching the untamed Does anyone have suggestions of what I should read or watch after I've completely devoured all of mdzs content?????

I am like you. You can now watch the Untamed fan meeting and concert on YouTube. ALL of the cast danced and sang all of the songs.
There is now a band for the drama. The Untamed Boys are made up of the supporting cast. There are also behind the scenes interviews for them. They are on a world tour.

The 2 spinoffs are out. The Living Dead is focused on Wen Ning and Lan Sizhui/A Yuan. The Fatal Journey is focused on the Nie brothers. I am hoping that they will release a third spinoff soon. There are plans for a total of 5 movies.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:50 PM, Lullaby Moon said:

#2, Yeah, Jiang Cheng only kept the flute, JGY kept the sword suibian, my bad.

#3, no they didn't come out. They were murdered at the burial mounds. 

#4, I think it was because he went to die with Nie Mingjue since he knew his time was up. And well, the temple was built over the old prostitution place where was basically raised so...It was because of resentful energy from what i remember, i have to watch it again.

In the drama, it's different and it looks as if they fell mutually in love since the beginning and wei wuxian was more conscious of his feelings, unlike in the novel where he's just oblivious for most of it. I mean, during the mianmian part if you notice, when he asks lan zhan if he likes mian mian, look at his hands. they turn into fists, and his body language is basically like he said it but he doesn't like that option xD

Also yes, but in the end he didn't do like his father, which is why he let him go in the end so that wei ying would travel by himself and not being "locked up" in cloud recesses. But eventually, Wei Ying returns in the end and it's just beautiful. This is a drama that must be watched more than once especially for new fans because during the first watch, you miss a lot of stuff. then you can watch it again calmly and notice new things 

Perfectly put. 

On YouTube there is a playlist dubbed in English by Tianmi Jun that has great analysis on the events & characters. 

On 4/20/2020 at 8:32 PM, El Lieu said:

Thank you so much!  Yes I am rewatching the special edition part.::as I just finished watching whole 50 chapters...some spots confusing to me....

This happened to me, too. So I watched the YouTube channel by Tianmi Jun and her insightful analysis really cleared it all up. For example, search “analysis dafan mountain reunion.”

I find the one about director Nie fascinating. 

Then go watch the spinoff “The Fatal Journey.” It is about the love bond of the Nie brothers. You can see why Nie Huasang  wanted to resurrect Wei Wuxian.

On 4/13/2020 at 7:20 PM, rosierosie said:

I finished the novel^^!!! WWX is so funny in the novel, his antics and teasing of LZ is much more hilarious in the novel with the details of his ways.

All their 

Reveal hidden contents

sexy scenes:love:

in the novel was the cherry on top, since it wasn't allow in the drama.

Anyone excited for Fatal Journey? I saw the trailer song, and it looks good. Love the Nie brothers side story. They're one of the great ones in the story.

Nie Hua Sang/Ji Li is an excellent actor. I hope that he gets another spinoff after The Fatal Journey, since there are plans for 4-5 spinoffs.. At the end of the movie, you can tell that he is transferring into Director Nie. He is my favorite character. 

On 2/5/2020 at 4:23 AM, 抹茶.Latte said:

Yeah! I love the donghua too! WWX is much more badass in the donghua than he is in the drama and closer to how he is in the novel. Would have been nice if they made WWX more badass in the drama too but I think they have to tone down the character because of broadcasting restrictions.

Woah. You are so sharp. It is the same voice actor. In fact, he is also the voice actor for LZ in the drama :rolleyes: I really like JYL's voice in the donghua too. Gentle but determined. 

I feel that the donghua seems more focused on the action and less on the interaction between the characters. If you want something more than bromance, I suggest you take a look at the manhua :wub: 

Besides restrictions, I think that Xiao Zhan never got acting training. So that will be hard for him to be more badass as WWX. A rumor said that Xiao Zhan will have another chance in a BL novel adaptation.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:55 AM, 抹茶.Latte said:

Yeah! It is actually a poster made by WeTV Taiwan to celebrate the successful broadcast of the special edition of the drama. But we know exactly what they are celebrating instead with that Double Happiness word :wub: 

The bowing to ancestors three times is definitely intentional! Right after that three bow, WY spoke of Lady's Jiang's bad temper but he only bowed twice to apologise and pay his respect to her. Similarly, in ep 20 when WY and JC returned to Lotus Pier briefly to pay their respects to the ancestors after killing Wen Chao, they only bowed two times :wub:

EP-wwTgU8AA2xn_?format=jpg&name=medium

Rough translation of the Chinese text:

#Wefamily has a joyous occasion (note 囍 for marriage is used instead of the usual 喜)

Congratulations on the successful broadcast of The Untamed Special Edition

Finish this drama

#From now on you are mine

LZ *takes out sword and lift WY's head*  FROM NOW ON YOU ARE MINE 

:P:P:P

I think that giving chickens in some Asian tradition is a marriage proposal.

5 hours ago, Sun Tzu said:

Besides restrictions, I think that Xiao Zhan never got acting training. So that will be hard for him to be more badass as WWX. A rumor said that Xiao Zhan will have another chance in a BL novel adaptation.

that rumor is false. This is not like Thai bl series where they have the same actors doing other bl dramas. It is highly unlikely he will get offered other bl adaptations. Same with wang yibo. They don't want to be typecasted

also xiao zhan has already acted ln other dramas but this was his first time being main lead. Him not being more badass has everything to do with restrictions since they are prohibited from portraying him like the novel or donghua since he's more of a gray-morality character and does bad things. In chinese dramas, the main hero cant do that. He needs to be a hero in every sense of the word

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sun Tzu said:

I think that giving chickens in some Asian tradition is a marriage proposal.

Yep you are right, AND they did the three bows too which in China means they are married

• Like 2

Lol im hooked! Interesting story! Im not into bl but i was curious about xiao zhan so i watched the drama! (and it has popped up on my netflix for awhile lol) Now im here for more info about the storyline, hello and thank you :lol:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NVKN said:

Lol im hooked! Interesting story! Im not into bl but i was curious about xiao zhan so i watched the drama! (and it has popped up on my netflix for awhile lol) Now im here for more info about the storyline, hello and thank you :lol:

It’s an interesting story . I watched on Netflix too :)

I think Xiao zhan did very well in this show. I was so immersed in his acting and story !

enjoy the show !!!!

• Like 3

Just recently got dragged down the Untamed/Mo Dao Zu Shi rabbit hole by a friend of mine. I was reluctant to do it at first. Fifty episodes? Each about an hour? (This was pre-COVID). That was more binge-watching material that I'd committed to in YEARS - ever since Japanese companies decided that nearly all non-Shonen Jump anime got 13 episodes and that was it. Did I really want to put myself through THAT MUCH material? Fine, I'd watch a few episodes and then maybe watch one a day after that . . .

I blew through the whole series in about two weeks.

The Untamed hit me unlike anything else I've seen in eons - the last time I can remember seeing such a potent mix of humor, heartbreak, drama, action and complex family drama was the original Fullmetal Alchemist, way back in the mid-aughts. Plus, it had the added layer of one of the most beautiful, heartfelt love stories I have ever seen - all without a single kiss being exchanged. This was definitely a case where actions speak louder than words. I was SERIOUSLY hooked. I followed up the drama with the animated series, and I'm planning to move on to the novel and comic next.

In exploring all the wonderful fanart people have done for this series, I've seen art for MXTX's other two novels - Scum Villain and Heaven Official's Blessing. Have either of them received animated or live action adaptations, and are those translated and readily available to Westerners? Thanks!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cornetto said:

Just recently got dragged down the Untamed/Mo Dao Zu Shi rabbit hole by a friend of mine. I was reluctant to do it at first. Fifty episodes? Each about an hour? (This was pre-COVID). That was more binge-watching material that I'd committed to in YEARS - ever since Japanese companies decided that nearly all non-Shonen Jump anime got 13 episodes and that was it. Did I really want to put myself through THAT MUCH material? Fine, I'd watch a few episodes and then maybe watch one a day after that . . .

I blew through the whole series in about two weeks.

The Untamed hit me unlike anything else I've seen in eons - the last time I can remember seeing such a potent mix of humor, heartbreak, drama, action and complex family drama was the original Fullmetal Alchemist, way back in the mid-aughts. Plus, it had the added layer of one of the most beautiful, heartfelt love stories I have ever seen - all without a single kiss being exchanged. This was definitely a case where actions speak louder than words. I was SERIOUSLY hooked. I followed up the drama with the animated series, and I'm planning to move on to the novel and comic next.

In exploring all the wonderful fanart people have done for this series, I've seen art for MXTX's other two novels - Scum Villain and Heaven Official's Blessing. Have either of them received animated or live action adaptations, and are those translated and readily available to Westerners? Thanks!

HOF have a animation coming out possibly in Aug 2020. There's a trailer you can check on youtube---Just type the name^^. Rumor has it that HOF is planning to do a live action, but they haven't found a suitable ML/MC actors yet. I hope soon, because now I'm currently reading HOB and I really like it^^. Since you like T.U., you might enjoy HOB^^.

On 1/31/2020 at 12:00 PM, 抹茶.Latte said:

Does the international version of the drama comes with Chinese commercials? There are some plots in the novel which could not be included in the drama but is presented subtly / hinted at in the commercials. My favourite one is the Coca Cola commercial played before ep 41 and 42.

In the commercial we see LZ playing the chinese zither and then saying something before looking lovingly at two white flowers. What he said just before looking lovingly at the flowers is "What is the most precious secret in the world? Our secret."

35d4199d0e814a648a5e0df6c3b3d9d3.jpeg

The two flowers refer to two "secrets" in the novel. The first represents the flower LZ took from WY after he kissed the blindfolded WY during the hunting trip on Phoenix Mountain. The second represents the flower WY threw at LZ when LZ visited Lotus Pier.The flower landed on LZ hair and he subsequently made it into a bookmark.

:wub::wub::wub:

I wish those had been included in the version I saw (Netflix - I'm planning to rewatch from YouTube, because I've heard that translation is more accurate). All those little tidbits of novel references - and it's also amusing as hell to see the anachronism of modern products in ancient China. Like the Cornetto ads during the donghua - including the product plugs blatantly inserted into the plot!

I was initially attracted to Xiao Zhan's acting until I hear him sing. His voice is sooooo soothing. Check out Our Song TV series on YouTube. His collaboration with Na Ying and Emil Chow is amazingg. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kennie1016 said:

I was initially attracted to Xiao Zhan's acting until I hear him sing. His voice is sooooo soothing. Check out Our Song TV series on YouTube. His collaboration with Na Ying and Emil Chow is amazingg. 

agreed!! He has a very soothing voice. If I'm not wrong, he was the main vocal in his band.

• Like 2