[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

16 minutes ago, rahma92 said:

Sorry but I agreed with this one. Its too fast, hope the next ep will be better

Three episodes to fall in love sound reasonable to me. There was obviously an attraction from the beginning but still not enough to be called love.

And Idk if it's just me but I could totally see the different stages of their relationship. 

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, shoyunnie said:

I dont know about others but for me when I saw the 1st ep where KJH saw CSH for the 1st time, he already attracted to her. 

It’s their first encounter in Cuba gave deep impact for both of them especially KJH.

Maybe because he is still young then he have the guts to confess compared with CSH who already had experienced failure in marriage and a not so closed relationship with her mom

I think it will better if they're develop their feelings more, because we still in ep 3.

still need one ep to make me believe it. 

but still "I miss you" part really touching my heart. Supeeer acting from PBG   

• Like 3

Watch: “Encounter” Shares Extras And Bloopers With Park Bo Gum And Song Hye Kyo

Watch: “Encounter” Shares Extras And Bloopers With Park Bo Gum And Song Hye Kyo

Dec 6, 2018
by R. Jun

In a new video released on December 5, tvN’s “Encounter” shares extras from behind the scenes, including some funny bloopers.

In the first scene, Park Bo Gum makes a mistake in his line to Song Hye Kyo, and when they try again, they immediately burst out laughing at the same time.

Park Bo Gum then puts his best drunk face on, shooting a scene where he’s at a company dinner. Later, drunk in the car with Song Hye Kyo, the actress compliments the actor, saying, “He’s really good at acting drunk.”

In another scene, Park Bo Gum gets in a car, and as Song Hye Kyo is walking around to the passenger side, the director yells “No, no, no! Again again again!” Alarmed, Song Hye Kyo turns around, and the director says, “Bogummy is passing by,” pointing at a truck driving by with one of Park Bo Gum’s ads on the side.

The director jokes, “Bogummy went by! This is because of him!”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1274097wpp/watch-encounter-shares-extras-bloopers-park-bo-gum-song-hye-kyo

• Like 10

The ending of the third episode kinda surprised me but did not amuse me.  Bo Gum's expression is a little bland for me when he said "I miss you".  The longing in his eyes is lacking unlike his expression when he said that to Kim Yoong Jung.  I also think it's too early for him to say that to his boss when she clearly said to him that theirs is just an employee and boss relationship.  He should keep some reservation out of respect and wait till her feelings for him fully develop.  Even in real life, no matter how much you like someone, you can't confess that easily.  You have to muster a lot of courage to do that. It came out of his mouth so easily.  Boy likes girl or girl likes boy but feelings are being suppressed till the time they are ready to explode.   Aren't these the reason why we like Korean dramas?  Secret love, jealousy, love-hate relationship, they are the spices that never run out of taste.  My anticipation and excitement are gone now.  As always, i will continue to watch this drama and pull through to the end, if only because of PBG.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, rahma92 said:

I think it will better if they're develop their feelings more, because we still in ep 3.

still need one ep to make me believe it. 

but still "I miss you" part really touching my heart. Supeeer acting from PBG   

They do need more episodes to develop the relationship, however, he does like her. I think that is what his "I miss you"' conversation is all about. He is confused him self what their relationship is and truly how he feels, but what he does know for certain at this point is that he misses her when she is not around and that he looks forward to being with her and spending time. Which I think is a good natural step in their relationship at this point. 

However, poor SH, she is extremely burdened and boxed in her life.Why else would she be taking sleeping pills. JH really said it right when she wasn't so much ok being alone as she was enduring it...which was very insightful. While I was watching all of this, I thought that a good way to keep people from trying to get SH back together with her ex is to get married to someone else and then announce it to the media, or just immigrate to another country all together.

But that MIL will most likely not listen and try to force her way anyways. What gets my gall though is how clearly she dislikes SH and thinks her lower than dirt, but clearly knows that her son likes her, thus is why she is trying to get her back. Yeah, SH is smart not to want to go back to that nest of vipers.

I do wish SH would be more proactive though in protecting herself and her life. But I did like how she became more fierce when it came to protecting JH. Clearly he means a lot as a good friend at this point. However, she seems so passive when it comes to herself, it is like she has given up. Which may be what they are trying to show for her character at this point.

I did like how Manager Nam went out of his way to get to know JH. It is like he is acting on behalf of dad, checking out the potential boyfriend. But how he went out of his way to get them together as well. I think it was important that Manager Nam let the dad know indirectly that it seems that there was someone who was apparently going to be able to take care of SH and make her happy. In fact, manager nam mentioned that JH was doing an even better job of it. Which makes me feel that Dad is going to be one of their supporters. Dad seems to worry about SH alot.

• Like 15

Hello, everyone! I'm new in this thread. Just an appreciation post for what I felt were those little moments and pleasant surprises that added more heart to episode 3:

(1) Mr. Nam playing cupid is THE BEST THING in this episode I swear. He seems like a very cheerful teddy bear, I want to give him a hug.
(2) Soo-hyun's dad gently reminding her to not skip meals. At least there is a bit of warmth in CSH's family, right? I hope dad would stand up for his daughter when the situation calls for it.
(3) The impromptu "welcome breakfast" for JH's dongsaeng. It showed how warm and loving JH's family is. I wonder if CSH will have the chance to visit their home! It would be interesting if that would happen!
(4) I have to admit that I found it surprising that WS is not the complete jerk that I thought he would be. I hope he doesn't become evil once jealousy towards CSH's affections for JH becomes more apparent. He seems like a genuinely nice guy who genuinely loves and cares for Soo-hyun and who happens to live the same sad life as hers. I feel a little sad for him, too.

I hope for more cupid Mr. Nam moments, tbh haha. And yeah, it gives me comfort that at least CSH has her secretary and driver as formidable allies once all hell breaks loose. At least she's not completely alone.

P.S. (5) I also found it heartwarming when CSH decided to ride the moon snails truck instead of her ride. I found it a sweet gesture :wub:

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, ardently said:

The ending of the third episode kinda surprised me but did not amuse me.  Bo Gum's expression is a little bland for me when he said "I miss you".  The longing in his eyes is lacking unlike his expression when he said that to Kim Yoong Jung.  I also think it's too early for him to say that to his boss when she clearly said to him that theirs is just an employee and boss relationship.  He should keep some reservation out of respect and wait till her feelings for him fully develop.  Even in real life, no matter how much you like someone, you can't confess that easily.  You have to muster a lot of courage to do that. It came out of his mouth so easily.  Boy likes girl or girl likes boy but feelings are being suppressed till the time they are ready to explode.   Aren't these the reason why we like Korean dramas?  Secret love, jealousy, love-hate relationship, they are the spices that never run out of taste.  My anticipation and excitement are gone now.  As always, i will continue to watch this drama and pull through to the end, if only because of PBG.

Really, I actually love PBG's acting in that part.
but beside that I'm totally agreed with you. he even didnt dare touching her in eps 2 and still look awkward with each other, but now he just confess to her?     

• Like 2

Top 10 cable dramas ratings, Encounter ranks 1st!

Dtscw44V4AAFMkk?format=jpg&name=orig

Encounter still managed to take the lead though percent of rating reduced from previous episode 2 reaching peak 10.3 nationwide (agb nielsen) , 12.8 Seoul (agb nielsen)

@gumtaek @dahae2006 @gakE @utkim @bohmi 

And everyone here!

Hope tonight's episode will receive a much better rating! 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, dvrels said:

I pity the ex-husband too, he genuinely care about CSH.....

Perhaps I have missed something?  The Ex had an affair on CSH and wanted a divorce.  He is still with the other woman but he won't marry her.  That's not a man who deserves pity.

1 hour ago, leedonghaek said:

Three episodes to fall in love sound reasonable to me. There was obviously an attraction from the beginning but still not enough to be called love.

And Idk if it's just me but I could totally see the different stages of their relationship. 

I like the pacing here, and I'm glad we didn't have to wait for the relationship to begin.  It makes sense that there was an immediate attraction.  However, since we are just at the beginning of the drama, this just leaves lots more time for things to go wrong later!  -_-

24 minutes ago, teachermok said:

.....(1) Mr. Nam playing cupid is THE BEST THING in this episode I swear. He seems like a very cheerful teddy bear, I want to give him a hug.....

Mr. Nam is my favorite.  He deserves a love story of his own.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ardently said:

It sucks that you're not excited anymore!!  But I felt the same sort of...  It was a surprise-- I really thought that the writer would hold off on having JinHyuk come any closer to telling SooHyun that he likes her, other than his fakeout "today is the first day" line. 

(I hope you don't mind me adding my own interpretation of BoGum's delivery of that "I miss you line")  To me, it wasn't bland so much as terribly confused and conflicted.  It was like he was saying with his face and eyes "now that I've driven through the night on the echoes of a song, dragged her from sleep to have breakfast with me, what the hell am I even doing right now?" through the whole conversation.  And of course, just like you said, if this was real life, there would be a LOT more build up to the confession.  However, even though JinHyuk has told SooHyun that he misses her, I'm thinking that what is going to be happening next is a lot of push-pull between them.  That back and forth of him trying to get her to come out and play, is going to give us the kdrama spice that we love.  And in the background, we'll have the triple (quadruple?) threat of SooHyun's ex-husband, JinHyuk's friends/family, and the Mothers. 

I'm already anticipating (i.e. preparing for the angst with tissues) SooHyun rejecting JinHyuk in the next ep-- not because I want her to, but because she's too smart to lose her head this early in the game. 

1 hour ago, teachermok said:

I have to admit that I found it surprising that WS is not a complete jerk that I thought he would be. I hope he doesn't become evil once jealousy towards CSH's affections for JH becomes more apparent. He seems like genuinely nice guy who genuinely loves and cares for Soo-hyun and who happens to live the same sad life as hers. I feel a little sad for him, too.

I'm super undecided about SooHyun's ex-husband.  Like he seems he really may have been trying to set SooHyun free for her own good by divorcing her, but he agreed to save JinHyuk's job on the condition that SooHyun wasn't really in a relationship with him.  That's not exactly nice guy material.  And seriously dude?  You want to buy a dress for your ex-wife, so you bribe a shop attendant into letting you buy it??  I'm thinking SooHyun is not a fan of that sort of underhandedness, no matter well-intentioned and harmless it may be. 

But despite not really liking some of his words or actions, I do want him to get free and live the life he wants to live.  And the writer has done a good job, if by ep3 I'm feeling sorry for the guy blocking my OTP from getting together. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, gigivillaceran said:

Lots of negative comment in netizenbuzz so depressing and the ratngs 

Let's put everything in perspective. 

Do you know the reputation of Netizenbuzz and Nate?

https://onehallyu.com/topic/642569-netizen-buzz-exposed-for-faking-comments-on-article/

Nate, where the article and comments were lifted, is 

Spoiler

a playground for anti-fans. While it is one of the main Web portals in SK, my Korean friend told me that 90% of Koreans use Naver and Daum.

My advice to everyone in the thread is to check the following sites for netizens' comments

http://melohwa.blogspot.com/2018/12/boyfriend-ep-3-spoilers-park-bo-gum-x.html

https://kkumnetz.blogspot.com/

because they get reliable articles with the corresponding netizens' comments. I will tweet these sites later.

We have been spoiled by the drama regarding the ratings. These are cable TV  ratings, With that said, these are high, very high, in fact. Terrestial ratings (KBS, SBS, MBC) are not on the same level as Cable TV ratings. (I sound like a broken record.) The drama is ranking first for all the three episodes in both cable and terrestial channels. There is even an article that speaks of a "Boyfriend craze' given the drama's ranking first in terms of online viewer ratings!

When I saw the comments at netizenbuzz, my question was "Are we even watching the same drama?!" I have watched many KDramas and have some background in movie critique and I have to say that the directing, script, cinematography and the acting stand out. It's like watching good movie each time an episode is aired.

Overall, there's much to celebrate! 

Boyfriend, fighting!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, gumtaek said:

Let's put everything in perspective. 

Do you know the reputation of Netizenbuzz and Nate?

https://onehallyu.com/topic/642569-netizen-buzz-exposed-for-faking-comments-on-article/

Nate, where the article and comments were lifted, is 

Hide contents

a playground for anti-fans. While it is one of the main Web portals in SK, my Korean friend told me that 90% of Koreans use Naver and Daum.

My advice to everyone in the thread is to check the following sites for netizens' comments

http://melohwa.blogspot.com/2018/12/boyfriend-ep-3-spoilers-park-bo-gum-x.html

https://kkumnetz.blogspot.com/

because they get reliable articles with the corresponding netizens' comments. I will tweet these sites later.

We have been spoiled by the drama regarding the ratings. These are cable TV  ratings, With that said, these are high, very high, in fact. The drama is ranking first for all the three episodes in both cable and terrestial channels. There is even an artice that speaks of a "Boyfriend craze' given the drama's ranking first in terms of online viewer ratings!

When I saw the comments at netizenbuzz, my question was "Are we even watching the same drama?!" I have watched many KDramas and have some background in movie critique and I have to say that the directing, script, cinematography and the acting stand out. It's like watching good movie each time an episode is aired.

Overall, there's much to celebrate! Boyfriend, fighting!

Boyfriend, fighting!

Ok clear my mind about it lesson learn thank you for this 

• Like 3

This was posted by @willenette in Bo Gum's Soompi thread...

in cable dramas, 1%-5% of viewer’s ratings are a standard win.

Keep in mind that shows from major broadcasting networks tend to receive higher Nielsen ratings than the ones from cable networks because not as many have access to cable channels.

TV ratings are always significant to gauge which programs are more popular for broadcasting companies, advertising companies, and also fans. SKorea has (2) different ratings. Both companies (AGB Nielson & TNmS) use a research tool called People Meter that is attached to a Receptor. Any person can be included in the research, but families that have a member involved in the broadcasting business in some way are excluded. 

Now the question is, what makes the ratings have 2~3% differences between the two research companies? I guess the reason for this difference is that TNmS visits the households and includes “guests” that are watching TV into their studies thus increasing the percentage of certain TV Show, while AGB Nielson does not. Because I think these percentage differences would mean a lot for advertising companies or broadcasting companies. I wish we could see identical numbers in the future so as not to create confusion. Otherwise, we see few percentage differences like we do now.  When dramas play the ratings game they win or they die. Death can mean simply losing money or being quickly forgotten. A badly performing drama can have its EP count reduced or dropped entirely. Currently, the motto going around the drama industry is “3-EPs.” If a drama doesn’t get good ratings within three episodes it’s unlikely to have a good run later on. Therefore, the lead to the pilot EP is as important as the broadcast itself. Despite all the tricks in the industry, in the end a drama’s job is to entertain its audience. Neilsen Korea measures the popularity of TV shows based on the number of views of related news stories, keyword searches and mentions on social media. 

The underlined is consoling, right, as far as Boyfriend is concerned? :)

Good news!

DttowFzUUAAZ3Tn.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Loving this drama more with each episode. I’m kinda feeling her ex husband. He’s not so terrible. He really loves her! I’m not excusing her ex MIL, but it’s coming from a place of love for her son. She

knows he’s still in love with her. Also, it kinda seems in her twisted way that CSY can only be and will be her only daughter in law. 

I’m more a SHK fan. I must say that PBG is growing on me. He looked especially handsome in episode 3. I might’ve mentioned it before, but I was a skeptic & questioning SHK’s choice for a comeback. I won’t doubt her again. 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, thistle said:

Perhaps I have missed something?  The Ex had an affair on CSH and wanted a divorce.  He is still with the other woman but he won't marry her.  That's not a man who deserves pity.

Yes you do missed something. CSH ex, Jung Woo Seok did the 'having affair' with other girl, and said he fall for the other girl and want a divorce so he can be with the other girl. The reason why he did that, because he want to let CSH go, to find her own happiness which is definitely she won't get it when she is a part of Taegyeong family. Remember the scene where JWS have a lunch with the other girl in 2nd episode? He seems not interesting in that girl at all, and the girl ask "Do I have to keep doing this?" The 'This' that she mean is pretending to be JWS girlfriend. And as in 3rd episode, CSH ask why JWS still single, well the answer to that is because he doesn't love the other girl, and when JWS said he is afraid if her mother find out his true feeling, it could make they (CSH - JWS) have to get back together as husband and wife. CSH doesn't want to get back to JWS, JWS knows it well, and he too will always trying his best to protect CSH, like when he said to his mother "Leave Donghwa Hotel alone" he is trying to protect what is precious to CSH.

About KJH already confess in 3rd episode, well for me it's very acceptable, KJH character describe: "A freewheeling, ordinary young man who finds joy in the simplest things" he is someone who always speak for what he feels, he find the reason why the joy of meeting CSH in Cuba stay in his mind all the time, it's because he loves her, that's why he suddenly run in to her to confess what he feels, he doesn't want to hold it any longer. I believe KJH is someone who believe this song lyrics "If you love me then say you love me" 

• Like 14