[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

15 minutes ago, leedonghaek said:

Someone posted the ratings on Twitter..9.25 last night. 

Checking, too. Still no Naver Article on the Ratings

Ok....here is a tweet...went down but still high

Nationwide ratings peaked at 10.3%. Still 1st in both public broadcating stations and cable channels.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, aisling said:

Who else felt this shot was very intimate? 

I think it’s a sign that he wants to get closer to her but later CSH stepped back. This small gestures give a meaningful feeling for both of them

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Article: Naver 'Boyfriend' Park Bo Gum's straightforward confession towards Song Hye Gyo, "I miss you, that's why I came" 

1. [+2468,-174]
Park Bo Gum is such a straightforward person. What are they going to do with the visuals of Boyfriend? Bo Song are lovely. I'm supporting grape and peach. Tomorrow's going to be more interesting. How pretty will they be.. 

2. [+1789,-102]
Park Bo Gum's gaze at the end.. He's so good that my heart fluttered. 

3. [+1673,-63]
"I came because I miss you." It's crazy. Younger, straightforward men are the best. 

4. [+1054,-40]
Ending fairy Park Bo Gum. He creates heart flutters. ❤

5. [+867,-62]
Ah, it's so fun. My heart fluttered.

6. [+652,-192]
A drama that relies on 99% Song Hye Gyo's and Park Bo Gum's charisma. The script is too old, and it lacks details. They called it a traditional melodrama.. If not for the actors, it's not even as good as the novels on the internet. 

7. [+632,-331]
I was disappointed with the first episode, but I thought it was interesting in the 2nd. I thought I was too hasty in judging it. But the 3rd episode.. Ha.. What are you doing, scriptwriter? It's stale.. 

8. [+500,-138]
Is this the scriptwriter's fault? When did the two fall for each other? When did their feelings develop? Viewers are supposed to get immersed in their lines naturally, but...... when he said he missed her.... "Why is he suddenly like that?" That's what I thought. 

9. [+509,-149]
To be honest, if not for Park Bo Gum's face, this line is ridiculous..... Why do I feel sorry for Bo Gum......... Scriptwriter, please write it well.... 

Article: Naver 'Boyfriend' Cha Hwa Yeon towards Song Hye Gyo's scandal, "Get Park Bo Gum to quit the company" 

1. [+1180,-42]
Park Bo Gum is totally a straightforward man. He could save Soo Hyun with his honesty. 

2. [+467,-6]
Today's story is sad. Don't do that to Jin Hyuk.... 

3. [+400,-23]
What's this... I didn't like it, but I was smiling.... "I miss you"

4. [+190,-21]
I really like the actors and my heart fluttered. But the story lacks details. I want to keep watching it, but I hope the writing is better than this. 

5. [+190,-21]
Add one more scriptwriter to this. Actors may begin this drama well, but from now on, it depends on the scriptwriter's abilities now. 

6. [+227,-97]
I wouldn't watch this if not for the actors.... The biggest problem of this is the script.... It's old, cliché and childish. 

7. [+132,-6]
My heart fluttered at the ending with Park Bo Gum. 

8. [+111,-3]
At the end, he said, "I miss you, that's why I came" Jin Hyuk being straightforward is so cool. My heart fluttered so much. 

http://melohwa.blogspot.com/2018/12/boyfriend-ep-3-spoilers-park-bo-gum-x.html

The objective good news is that there are MORE positive comments with the corresponding upvotes than negative comments.

The negative comments revolve around the lack of details on the part of the scriptwriter. This is in relation to the viewers' questioning the lack of evidence of the two developing feeings for each other and although it was not explicitly said, questioning the confession of KJH at the end. I have a lot to say about this in the my next posts. This would be a good topic to discuss.

Others really have to do with genre preference as I've said several pages back.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Song Hye Kyo’s acting captures the hearts of viewers.

Even if a storm is blowing in her life, she accepts it as if she has always been. A woman who is not accustomed to expressing feelings at all, but is accustomed to endure alone. Her appearance makes her heartache worse. 

Song Hye Kyo is an act of capturing the hearts of viewers with their deep sensitivity and delicate acting. Her expressive power, which gives a lot of talk with only one eye and one expression, focuses on the house theater and brings immersion. In the third 'Boyfriend' broadcast on December 5th, the performance of Song Hye-kyo made the hearts of the viewers shine.

Song Hye - kyo is making the drama more enriched by infusing emotions into the story of Cha Soo Hyun. A delicate act that does not miss one small thing, such as a hand that pretends to be cool, but feels anxious, a calm eye that presses emotionally, and a voice, calls for the emotions of viewers. So I could feel the loneliness of Cha Seo Hyun. Song Hye-kyo, who fills up the screen, and her acting, which reflects the emotions of her boyfriend, are making the audience cry for their hearts and see the drama.

jup6T9.jpg

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003916537

Sorry, the trans mainly was from google:P

@aisling i thought that scene was very intimate too

• Like 13

Um... so the angst has definitely arrived. And it's only ep 3!

I was kind of surprised that the opening scenes were with SH vs Team Evil Moms. I know they've been portraying SH's dad in a more sympathetic light. And it's clear that SH is really only enduring all this because she really loves her dad, not for her mom's ambition. But it makes you wonder, how "good" is her father when he must know the extremes his wife goes to use their daughter for personal advancement. I suspect that when the time does come that SH realizes her happiness also has worth and she finally stands against her parents, thus "risking" her father's political career, her father will likely be more forgiving than her mother. But still, turning a blind eye to his daughter's unhappiness when he is at the center of the reason for her current circumstance is just as bad.

I wonder about the pacing for this story. It's only ep 3 and we're already heading head first into the deep end of Angst. And the conflict is the more typical family/power drama, which usually appears in the middle of the story-arc in dramas as that FINAL hurdle to happily ever after.  And while SHG and PBG have definite star power, surviving a dragged-out evil mother-in-law plot throughout the entire series with high ratings will be tough. So fingers-crossed that the writer is playing a long-game. 

In terms of foreshadowing, I think there will likely be an incident with her sleeping pills, possibly an OD situation during some moment of extreme turmoil, or an accident, like what almost happened in ep 1 before JH caught her. Her dependency has been on display since ep 1, and was highlighted by the driver in their exchange in her room and his look of disapproval. Or maybe I've seen too many kdramas. The foreshadowing just seems so blatant, no?

I'm not sure if her ex, JWS, will turn evil or not. I could see it going both ways. I really hope he does not go bad, as it would be more refreshing that way. And instead, they end up as friends and working together to help each other to break free of their mothers' grasps and live their own lives. I feel like JWS is a rather sad character. He likely felt like he connected to SH because of their similar circumstance, and chose to let her go because of his love for her as he was powerless against his mother to do otherwise. I hope that his feelings for SH do not turn into possessiveness, like his mother. Rather, that through his feelings for SH, he is able to finally stand up to his mother in the way he should have when they were married. 

Finally, I know everyone seems to be fawning over JH's sudden confession, but honestly, I think one of my favorite moments was when he rang her doorbell and she opened the door, and he freaked out and made up a random excuse about wanting to take her to eat this soup. Such an obvious lie, and you know she could tell, because it was so absurd. But he was looking SO nervous and desperate and sincere. SH just smiles gently and plays along. One thing I noticed was that in this scene, the camera focuses on their feet, panning from his sneakers to her slippers. Then again under the table later at the restaurant. The closeness of their feet under the table after his confession just got to me, and was THE favorite moment of this episode for me. The way one foot slowly shifted in her direction, almost earnestly yet cautiously.  It was so brief, but SO intimate for some reason. What a nice, subtle touch by the director. Then in the preview for ep 4, you see on of her feet move away from his. There has been such an emphasis on the characters' feet/shoes as a reflection of their feelings since ep 1, from SH's heels, walking barefoot, to her sandals. I hope the show continues to utilize this symbolism as an ongoing thread through the show. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, aisling said:

Does anybody know the song that starts playing around 33:20? When they met on a pier? Is it an existing song or is it a part of OST?

I asked this question today, too, because it is such a great song.  It was also played in the first episode.  Hopefully someone knows!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gumtaek said:

The 2nd OST Track sung by Lee Sora will be released today.

Figuring out the title of the track:)

http://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=201812060100037860002624&servicedate=20181206

Title of the 2nd track is "You Are My Only One".

@aisling, @thistle: The English song has not been officially announced as part of the soundtrack. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

“Encounter” And “The Last Empress” Are Neck-And-Neck With Leading Viewership Ratings

Dec 6, 2018
by E. Kang

The battle for viewership ratings on Wednesdays and Thursdays is heating up!

While ratings for cable dramas and public broadcasting dramas are aggregated in a slightly different manner, both SBS’s “The Last Empress” and tvN’s “Encounter” recorded 9.3 percent in viewership on December 5 according to Nielsen Korea.

More specifically, “The Last Empress” saw viewership ratings of 6.1 percent and 9.3 percent for its two episodes with a peak of 13.2 percent. Among those in the targeted age group of 20-49 years old, it brought in ratings of 2.2 percent and 3.6 percent.

As mentioned, “Encounter” marked 9.3 percent in viewership ratings with a peak at 10.3 percent. While lower than last week’s average ratings, its December 5 episode did see considerable ratings among those in the targeted age group of 20-49 years old, recording 5.2 percent with a peak of 6.0 percent.

MBC’s “Children of Nobody” saw a personal best in viewership ratings on December 5 at 4.6 percent and 5.5 percent, while KBS2’s “Feel Good to Die” recorded ratings of 2.5 percent and 2.8 percent.

OCN’s “God’s Quiz: Reboot” brought in higher ratings than MBN’s “Love Alert,” its competitor drama in the same time slot. “God’s Quiz: Reboot” saw a viewership of 2.1 percent while “Love Alert” recorded 1.5 percent.

Check out the latest “Encounter” episode below!                                                            Source Credit @https://www.soompi.com/article/1274189wpp/encounter-last-empress-neck-neck-leading-viewership-ratings

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, gigivillaceran said:

“Encounter” And “The Last Empress” Are Neck-And-Neck With Leading Viewership Ratings

Dec 6, 2018
by E. Kang

The "neck-to-neck' info is misleading because you can't put a cable TV rating on the same level as a public broadcasting channel such as SBS. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, utkim said:

Honestly I love this ep, it isn’t funny as ep 2 but i like how the story is unfold, it’s realistic. 

No matter how much her ex husband loves her, I’m thankful he let her to get some freedom, not involved with his mom. God , it must be like living in hell, she’s scary :sweatingbullets:. I feel pity for him though. 

I pity the ex-husband too, he genuinely care about CSH, he tried her best to protect her, when he against his mom  "Leave Donghwa Hotel" Donghwa Hotel means a lot to CSH, he doesn't want his mom take the hotel from CSH. Letting go of someone who you love with the purpose to let her find happiness, not everyone could me such a decision. Hope Jung Woo Seok will be CSH backup when it's against the ex MIL

2 hours ago, smiletall said:

I'm not sure if her ex, JWS, will turn evil or not. I could see it going both ways. I really hope he does not go bad, as it would be more refreshing that way. And instead, they end up as friends and working together to help each other to break free of their mothers' grasps and live their own lives. I feel like JWS is a rather sad character. He likely felt like he connected to SH because of their similar circumstance, and chose to let her go because of his love for her as he was powerless against his mother to do otherwise. I hope that his feelings for SH do not turn into possessiveness, like his mother. Rather, that through his feelings for SH, he is able to finally stand up to his mother in the way he should have when they were married. 

Me too, I hope her ex wouldn't turn bad and being possessive to get CSH back. It will be fun when CSH and JWS team up to fire back to the ex MIL

• Like 10

On 12/1/2018 at 9:18 PM, anya77 said:

Some have said that the role is very much like PBG's actual character but he apparently he turned down lots of roles before he finally accepted this one so there probably will be interesting developments which prompted him to take this. PBG has been called Nation's "Son-in-law" meaning that Korean mothers would pick him as their ideal son-in-law but clearly this won't be the case with Cha -Soo-Hyun's mother who is so ambitious that she wants her old son-in-law back. 

I think after Love in the Moonlight, he decided to finish his Bachelor's Degree and did not accept any project.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gumtaek said:

8. [+500,-138]
Is this the scriptwriter's fault? When did the two fall for each other? When did their feelings develop? Viewers are supposed to get immersed in their lines naturally, but...... when he said he missed her.... "Why is he suddenly like that?" That's what I thought. 

Sorry but I agreed with this one. Its too fast, hope the next ep will be better

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rahma92 said:

Sorry but I agreed with this one. Its too fast, hope the next ep will be better

I dont know about others but for me when I saw the 1st ep where KJH saw CSH for the 1st time, he already attracted to her. 

It’s their first encounter in Cuba that gave deep impact for both of them especially KJH.

Maybe because he is still young then he has the guts to confess compared with CSH who already had experienced failure in marriage and a not so closed relationship with her mom

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1