[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

2 hours ago, gumtaek said:

Let's put everything in perspective. 

Do you know the reputation of Netizenbuzz and Nate?

https://onehallyu.com/topic/642569-netizen-buzz-exposed-for-faking-comments-on-article/

Nate, where the article and comments were lifted, is 

Reveal hidden contents

a playground for anti-fans. While it is one of the main Web portals in SK, my Korean friend told me that 90% of Koreans use Naver and Daum.

My advice to everyone in the thread is to check the following sites for netizens' comments

http://melohwa.blogspot.com/2018/12/boyfriend-ep-3-spoilers-park-bo-gum-x.html

https://kkumnetz.blogspot.com/

because they get reliable articles with the corresponding netizens' comments. I will tweet these sites later.

We have been spoiled by the drama regarding the ratings. These are cable TV  ratings, With that said, these are high, very high, in fact. Terrestial ratings (KBS, SBS, MBC) are not on the same level as Cable TV ratings. (I sound like a broken record.) The drama is ranking first for all the three episodes in both cable and terrestial channels. There is even an article that speaks of a "Boyfriend craze' given the drama's ranking first in terms of online viewer ratings!

When I saw the comments at netizenbuzz, my question was "Are we even watching the same drama?!" I have watched many KDramas and have some background in movie critique and I have to say that the directing, script, cinematography and the acting stand out. It's like watching good movie each time an episode is aired.

Overall, there's much to celebrate! Boyfriend, fighting!

Boyfriend, fighting!

KoalaPlayground give positif review too :D 

And yeah for me, their acting is good. tho I'm worried because the plot suddenly move so fast, but this drama still sold me.

Spoiler

is it just me, I always think that NB never like PBG. Panchoa is better  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, dvrels said:

Yes you do missed something. CSH ex, Jung Woo Seok did the 'having affair' with other girl, and said he fall for the other girl and want a divorce so he can be with the other girl. The reason why he did that, because he want to let CSH go, to find her own happiness which is definitely she won't get it when she is a part of Taegyeong family. Remember the scene where JWS have a lunch with the other girl in 2nd episode? He seems not interesting in that girl at all, and the girl ask "Do I have to keep doing this?" The 'This' that she mean is pretending to be JWS girlfriend. And as in 3rd episode, CSH ask why JWS still single, well the answer to that is because he doesn't love the other girl, and when JWS said he is afraid if her mother find out his true feeling, it could make they (CSH - JWS) have to get back together as husband and wife. CSH doesn't want to get back to JWS, JWS knows it well, and he too will always trying his best to protect CSH, like when he said to his mother "Leave Donghwa Hotel alone" he is trying to protect what is precious to CSH.

Havent watch the ep 3 with eng sub. But i love how u write about CSH exhusband.. i noticed it too during the ep2 when the woman said about their ‘relationship’ at the restaurant i knew that JWS just pretend to have scandal with her so that he can divorced CSH. But because of his love for her, he also refused to let her totally free from him. Their relationship was binded with the contract. But at least for CSH, she’s already has no relationship with her ex. I dont know how long JSW will continue to protect CSH especially when he knew it later CSH is with KJH. 

I obviously pitied her ex if what he did is purposely to protect CSH but I’m confident that i’m not into the second lead syndrome because like i said before KJH already have a soft spot in my heart. Hewhewhew-_-

• Like 5

Thanks for all the updates!

For me, the drama is so far so good. I have fun watching the main leads' interactions with each other and also with people around them. How the plot unfolds, what shaped them to be the person he/she is now and i also can't help but to pick up hints that might tell us about the future plot, for instance, Jin Hyuk's camera. So far, we know that Soo Hyun's dad, Mr Nam and the brother of Jin Hyuk's senior in the office were journalists, they were nicknamed The Three Musketeers. The camera was given by a friend of Jin Hyuk's dad, so maybe his dad is/ was friends with the journalists.  Also not forgetting the Namsan Tower and library.

Dramas are meant to be a source of entertainment, but i love when i can learn a thing or two from the characters and gain some inspirations. Kim Jin Hyuk is a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve,, he is free spirited and bubbly. He lights up the screen and i can't help but to smile whenever he appears. Despite being a jaded person, Cha Soo Hyun is a strong woman.  Do you realize that Soo Hyun never shed a tear even though she was being reprimanded and 'bullied' by her own mom and ex mom in law? I probably will cry along with her when she tears for the first time.

Personally, i just want to sit back and enjoy these remaining 13 hours. Watching SHK drama is like another strike off from the list and her list is getting shorter and shorter. 

I know that it is not everyone's cup of tea but it is a poignant and beautiful drama . In short, this drama needs to be savored.  While the drama is not without its weaknesses, I would suggest that for those of us who are on board, let's just enjoy the ride and trust that all of them will bring their best and carry us all through the end, hopefully smiling:)

• Like 22

1 hour ago, shoyunnie said:

Havent watch the ep 3 with eng sub. But i love how u write about CSH exhusband.. i noticed it too during the ep2 when the woman said about their ‘relationship’ at the restaurant i knew that JWS just pretend to have scandal with her so that he can divorced CSH. But because of his love for her, he also refused to let her totally free from him. Their relationship was binded with the contract. But at least for CSH, she’s already has no relationship with her ex. I dont know how long JSW will continue to protect CSH especially when he knew it later CSH is with KJH. 

I obviously pitied her ex if what he did is purposely to protect CSH but I’m confident that i’m not into the second lead syndrome because like i said before KJH already have a soft spot in my heart. Hewhewhew-_-

I think the reason CSH still binding to Taegyeong family because of JWS mother, if CSH didn't agreed to the contract, her ex MIL won't ever let her divorce, as in second episode, when CSH said that to Secretary Jang, her ex MIL won't let her if she didn't agreed to the contract. Well my pity to him will gone if he do something bad towards CSH - KJH. Since JWS is the only one who can help CSH against ex MIL, I will support him (for now). 

Here is my thought, JWS let CSH go in first place, if he is possessive why didn't he keep her with him forever? Why let her go? Well my answer to this is he loves her, and willing to give everything to her, but I'm afraid his possessiveness grow when he sees the happy CSH, the other lovely side of CSH whom he never saw before. 

Both CSH and JWS could have their courage and stand against ex-MIL as to protect those whom they love. It will be amazing chain-of-protect JWS protect CSH, CSH protect KJH B)

Ps: Now I sound more like I'm having second male lead syndrome. Nope I'm not, I'm just describe what haven't describe here, since CSH - KJH already been describe very well here so I have nothing more to say, but (sorry I have something that I forgot to tell) about PBG expression in last scene in 3rd episode, i think the expression is match well, the expression of a guy who exciting to confess but at the same time worrying and afraid what feedback will he got after the confession

Added : What @gumtaek said about Netizenbuzz and Nate is totally right and that is the fact. So don't bother to go there to read, you know hater always have negative filter, good things filtered by them as something negative. And about Koala I heard they are taking side too when they make comments, that's what I heard 

• Like 11

Okay first I haven’t watched ep 3 and merely slumped through the comments here because I rather watch the episode first than read the spoilers. 

And second I may have mistaken the Korean culture altogether so humour me a little. 

Saying  you miss someone is confessing good feelings but can’t good friends confess that? It may not be love yet but Jin Hyuk may already have really good feelings and the confession may indicate that instead of love. Or am I reading too little into it? If Koreans confess they miss each other, it’s love?

• Like 6

6 hours ago, caileysmiley said:

Top 10 cable dramas ratings, Encounter ranks 1st!

Encounter still managed to take the lead though percent of rating reduced from previous episode 2 reaching peak 10.3 nationwide (agb nielsen) , 12.8 Seoul (agb nielsen)

@gumtaek @dahae2006 @gakE @utkim @bohmi 

And everyone here!

Hope tonight's episode will receive a much better rating! 

Hello @caileysmiley ,  i am here bcos you call my name:D .  Let's have fun together in this thread as i wrote this sentence in much much earlier page 5?. i am thinking to write my view in this weekend only as i will be more calmer and not necessary to write anymore.

Thank you so much for last night recaps and comments @ahdrianaa and many lovely chingus.  i watched live but without you all, i will not understand a single words. And i am excited to read what theories will come out too.  Thank you @jil08 too

i thought  5% rating for 1st ep counting bogum and kyo's popularity ( bogum fandom in korea  quite big after idol fandom)  as  3% rating is good enough for cable channel.  we should be happy that they got 9 % (1.  writer has bad reputation  &  2. they are not Netflix 20/25/40 billion won budget drama. i do remember both of their name and writer and pd name come out first without brocast station. then tvn picked it up.   

how can his fan got this picture screen caps . LOL .

oh, here smiling one for all who loves the drama  / true drama fan

what a beautiful poem

DtuAXbjVsAAzlX9.jpg

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, madinked said:

Okay first I haven’t watched ep 3 and merely slumped through the comments here because I rather watch the episode first than read the spoilers. 

And second I may have mistaken the Korean culture altogether so humour me a little. 

Saying  you miss someone is confessing good feelings but can’t good friends confess that? It may not be love yet but Jin Hyuk may already have really good feelings and the confession may indicate that instead of love. Or am I reading too little into it? If Koreans confess they miss each other, it’s love?

I think the context to his confession is clear.

throughout his dialogue, he was questioning himself about why did he get up in the middle of the night, drive a truck for hours just to meet the CEO of his company.

csh already knew where it was going so she warned him about his choice of words. but kjh ignored it and clearly explained to her that he came because he missed her. he wanted to see her.

it is not that if Koreans confess that they miss each other, its love. but the build-up to him saying he missed her is what indicates that he has feelings for her that is more than just friends.

• Like 15

7 hours ago, gumtaek said:

@rahma92

Hide contents

This comment reminds me of the shipping war that took place during the airing of Reply 1988.  Many reacted violently to the fact that Choi Taek became the husband of Duk Seon. Many thought it will be Jung Hwan. But if you watched carefully and read the dialogue, there were many hints dropped by the scriptwriter along the way that Taekkie will be the one. This is not the venue to expound on it. You will find a lot of discussion about it.

I've posted once that this is a nuanced/layered drama. Many things are not explicitly said and there is a need to "read between the lines" to understand and appreciate these. Boyfriend is like that. Boyfriend's style is a restrained one...dialogue is loaded with meaning, hence, it is not verbose... The drama is like poetry...you need to, in a sense, read it over and over again to extract its beauty. Dialogue in the drama could sometimes be sparing but a lot of body language---including facial expressions---made up for it. These, viewers will have to learn how to read.

I agree completely and your comparison with the Taek/Dukseon relationship nailed it. For me, Jinhyuk's confession wasn't out of the blue at all. We've seen in the past 3 episodes how he's been acting around Soohyun if you really pay attention to his body language, his gestures, the random snippets of his inner thoughts. I said this in my short review of episode 2 but what I love about this show is how we don't have to be spoon-fed verbally about what the characters are feeling through dialogue -- it's pretty obvious just looking at their reactions to each other and their body language, which I see that the director explicitly tries to capture every time they're together. For me, it was quite apparent since episode 1 that Jinhyuk was attracted to her and that he's developed quite a strong crush. Same goes with Soohyun. In real life, subtle and nuanced gestures sometimes show more of what you feel than actual words. 

In other news though, not gonna lie, I'm also scared the drama will follow the traditional melodrama storyline where we'll get devil-incarnate mothers and mothers-in-law with not much depth to their characters aside from being evil and being hellbent on ruining the relationship of the leads for their own gain. I know it's too early to tell but since the plot is moving quite fast, I'm hoping it really won't turn out too cliche. Traditional melodrama storyline isn't bad per se, there's a reason why it's a classic storyline after all, but storylines like these really depend on the depth of each character -- even the villains. 

• Like 16

Hello Everyone! it is good to be here. And to see such passionate people discussing Encounter with their all. I am amazed at how much information and appreciation and even balanced critique I get from the posts. 

I also want to understand why I am getting all the feels and the understanding of the lead characters' predicament and happy to be tying it all in in the well-crafted technical and creative elements of the narrative. And why there are those who don't. I guess age is one. I am older and been through much of life; and I love any sincere, understated poetic storytelling. And I just have this bone for Latin music. 

So looking forward to being part of this party. :blush:

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, Rupayan Das said:

I think the context to his confession is clear.

throughout his dialogue, he was questioning himself about why did he get up in the middle of the night, drive a truck for hours just to meet the CEO of his company.

csh already knew where it was going so she warned him about his choice of words. but kjh ignored it and clearly explained to her that he came because he missed her. he wanted to see her.

it is not that if Koreans confess that they miss each other, its love. but the build-up to him saying he missed her is what indicates that he has feelings for her that is more than just friends.

Thank you. I stand corrected. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dahae2006 said:

Hello @caileysmiley ,  i am here bcos you call my name:D .  Let's have fun together in this thread as i wrote this sentence in much much earlier page 5?. i am thinking to write my view in this weekend only as i will be more calmer and not necessary to write anymore.

Thank you so much for last night recaps and comments @ahdrianaa and many lovely chingus.  i watched live but without you all, i will not understand a single words. And i am excited to read what theories will come out too.  Thank you @jil08 too

i thought  5% rating for 1st ep counting bogum and kyo's popularity ( bogum fandom in korea  quite big after idol fandom)  as  3% rating is good enough for cable channel.  we should be happy that they got 9 % (1.  writer has bad reputation  &  2. they are not Netflix 20/25/40 billion won budget drama. i do remember both of their name and writer and pd name come out first without brocast station. then tvn picked it up.   

how can his fan got this picture screen caps . LOL .

oh, here smiling one for all who loves the drama  / true drama fan

what a beautiful poem

together with the music and the characters' motivation, this reminded me of Pablo Neruda's poetry 

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 4

i want to read  any kind chingus here thought about this beautiful poem too .  Of course we wants to see more of light moments for our entertainment before angst,  i agree with straight forward and fast Jinhyuk's confession as bogum described his character as green grape (youthful, refreshing etc) . He does not have girl friend / pure / inexperienced in relationship / happy go lucky type / not even worry about stable job. my list go on---

Anyway Let's cheers for the drama and crew, they are filming during this cold weather and not pre produced drama. so tiring.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, bohmi said:

OST Part 2. Lee So Ra (Into My Heart)

Another reason why I immediately fell in love with this drama is because of the soundtrack. Thank you for sharing this. I'm also looking for the English song that has been playing in the episodes. Remind me of works of Jason Mraz. Can somebody point me to the source?

Sharing what I got from Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3h6lvZedcfTZl5hmwKtCMt

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 5

I m officially in love with phase n the flow of this story!! :love:Many felt dissapointed seeing KJH's confession but I didn't feel it awkward or too soon!! KJH clearly started showing hints of his feeling from even 2nd episode where after the stuff toy game when CSH went away, he said he feels strange when he is with her n the way he looked at the toy when he was working!!.. Plus in ep 3 he dropped hints when his friend said that CSH is used to being limelight but he was still concerned for her when she passed by!! His look gave away that he wanted to know how was she doing? The way he wanted to stay back when Mr. Nam was leaving CSH.. The way he was concerned abt her when he was going back whether she is living her life or is she just bearing it.. The way he looked at concern when she was taking the pills.. He was already questioning his feelings for her but when he heard the song dedicated to longing n embracing, he knew it that he had this feelings for CSH.. The scene where he confesses that he missed her, CSH knew that him coming back isn't for food but something else still she went out with him n asked him the reason.. I guess KJH clearly questioned his feelings n found his answer infront of her.. The way the showed their legs when he arrived at her hotel, it showed hesitation n confusion n the legs position in restaurant showed the longing to embrace her!! 

I wondered y is CSH's ex in-law soo obsessed with her.. I guess we got the answer that is her son still loves CSH n is waiting for her.. So she wouldn't allow her to get away!! I may be wrong but her ex husband has written over all his face that he still loves CSH n is waiting for her n is crazy for her.. But alas!! CSH can't see it!! He is still possessive of her when he asked that she doesn't have any relation with KJH.. The way he brought the dress which was someone else by stealing off made me anxious that he might be a person who would get what he wants by hook or by crook!! I m pretty much concerned abt him.. Plus the friend of KJH has understood that KJH has feelings towards CSH but it seems she will linger over!! 

I guess CSH's husband will notice KJH n CSH while she comes back based on the preview from previous week.. I know there will be many heavy stuff but the couple moments which they will spent is what I m looking forward too!! 

Longing and embracing 

RMHEMYQ.jpg

YtDf961.jpg

P. S. Hope the ratings increase in upcoming episode.. But I would definitely say this show is getting fat better ratings with the shows that has broadcasted together with it.. So guys don't get disheartened.. Plus PBG n SHK r the best in showing Longing n Embracing feelings:kiss_wink:.. This feelings they brought to the characters can't be compared with any other characters!! 

• Like 19