[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

A lot of observation u guys doing here..its cool..I'm pretty much agree with some of it..this drama really makes u feel like guessing all the way,unpredictable..like cracking a riddle

I think in some point,the ex hubby will stand with his mother entirely,to get SH back to him,with his way..I feel like until now he still standing in 'grey' area not good,but not bad either to the point we could hate him..

N it will to bad if HI will betray JH just becz she wants to protect him,I know they are a long time friend n it's natural for her to do that,but still it will hurt JH n herself in the end..

N argghh I wanna punch that traitor,mr.lee if I'm not mistaken n that director,trying to get those position so cowardly like that,they are a men but act like a sissy..

Oh I just remember after repeated epi 6 in the scene SH father met with her ex MIL,the ex MIL said she has a prove that SH father didn't won in election in a fair way I presume?maybe it will be use as last weapon,if her plan don't go right..n SH will be put in a tight position if that is true..choosing something that really matter for us,its never easy to do..the result only come with a good or bad..

• Like 8

WS is not the right man for SH and HI is not the right girl for JH. Obviously because WS and HI are not the ones, the ways they expressed their feeling are not correct and they missed their timing. These are facts that we don't have to argue about because obviously this drama is about SH and JH.

I don't care much about HI; but with WS, it is an interesting case because how different people view him differently.

WS is far from a perfect guy or a behind-the-scene knight. He comes from the upper class which include rich people who normally treat people from the lower class with disdain. He knows about power, money, connection and how to get things his way. He couldn't make SH happy: he freed SH from the marriage so that she could breathe easier but she ended up with the status of a divorcee and his mom refused to release her grip. Until now, he can't break free from the cage he was put in from the beginning to have a life from himself. He still habor fruitless hope of a second chance.

And yet, I can't see him as manipulative or insincere in his feeling towards SH.

When WS requests to meet SH after the ramyeon scandal breaks out or asks her secretary friend to tell her to be careful, I see that as being curious at first and then jealous. To me, the word "eccentric" doesn't hurt SH but he purposely uses the word "date" to test her reaction. Obviously WS can't tell SH indirectly because he chose to hurt her when he asked for a divorce and made himself a bad guy; what rights does he have towards her to tell her to be careful or not? His image in SH's eyes is already too bad that even giving her a dress becomes a burden and he doesn't even know what to say. WS knows too well how his mom will try to rob the hotel away from SH so any scandal can cost her; I see no problem when he tries to alert SH through her friend.

Love itself many faces and one of it is selfishness. Since WS has not been able to let go, must he be happy now that SH finds a guy she likes? Especially when that relationship can cost SH the hotel she has been working so diligently for and the guy she chooses is so ordinary, unable to help her fight for it? What's is JH's motive, is he a gold-digger or is he sincere? What does JH have that he doesn't? It surely takes time before WS can realize that JH is the one that makes SH happy and she is finally fighting for her own life, away from the invention of others. I can't expect him to realize it now.

SH receives the hotel and money as alimony - don't forget that she asked for it herself, knowing full well that Taekyeong is its mother company. "When an unfortunate circumstance arises and tarnishes the image of Taekyeong Group, Dongwha Hotel  will be returned to Taekyeong Group. All of this will be decided by the Board of Directors." - she read that clause and still decide to sign the contract. Why didn't she just change to a huge sum of money instead and not the hotel, then she can have more freedom? I see no proof that WS knows about the contract before he tries to make SH divorce him or he has a say in it. If she simple chooses money, her obligations probably stops at attending her ex-MIL only. Even if she use money to start a business and Taekyeong Group still tries to interfere in it, there is no way the group has a deciding fate in her business like it is now. Sorry to say but SH has her fair share of responsibility in how she is still tied with Taekyeong Group. 

There are two scenes about WS that I remember:

- The determination in WS when he angrily tells his mom to leave the hotel alone. He knows well how the hotel means to SH and he can't let her effort be robbed away from her. Later, he even told the "bad" director how he doesn't deserve that hotel. 

- His face when looking at SH's photo for match-making in his phone. 4 years since the divorce and he still keeps it. Looking at his lonely back is sad.

WS is not a perfectly good guy but I don't want to judge him negatively before I can see enough flashback. Is the marriage failed because of his fault only? Or did SH ever open up to him and love him? What made him decide to become to cheater to SH?  

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, vu_hoa1983 said:

sorry to cut your post.

SH receives the hotel and money as alimony - don't forget that she asked for it herself, knowing full well that Taekyeong is its mother company. "When an unfortunate circumstance arises and tarnishes the image of Taekyeong Group, Dongwha Hotel  will be returned to Taekyeong Group. All of this will be decided by the Board of Directors." - she read that clause and still decide to sign the contract. Why didn't she just change to a huge sum of money instead and not the hotel, then she can have more freedom? I see no proof that WS knows about the contract before he tries to make SH divorce him or he has a say in it. If she simple chooses money, her obligations probably stops at attending her ex-MIL only. Even if she use money to start a business and Taekyeong Group still tries to interfere in it, there is no way the group has a deciding fate in her business like it is now. Sorry to say but SH has her fair share of responsibility in how she is still tied with Taekyeong Group. 

There are two scenes about WS that I remember:

- The determination in WS when he angrily tells his mom to leave the hotel alone. He knows well how the hotel means to SH and he can't let her effort be robbed away from her. Later, he even told the "bad" director how he doesn't deserve that hotel. 

- His face when looking at SH's photo for match-making in his phone. 4 years since the divorce and he still keeps it. Looking at his lonely back is sad.

WS is not a perfectly good guy but I don't want to judge him negatively before I can see enough flashback. Is the marriage failed because of his fault only? Or did SH ever open up to him and love him? What made him decide to become to cheater to SH?  

Actually, her alimony was the failing hotel. Donghwa Hotel was on the verge of bankruptcy. CSH said that she had to take loans (episode 6, during the walk) in order to support the hotel. When she asked for the hotel, she thought that chairman Kim would be glad to get rid of that failing business. But you are right, these are just speculations on my part. In my opinion, by asking for the hotel as alimony, she wanted to leave the impression that she never married JWS in order to take advantage of his wealth. By not asking for money was a way to show that she is not greedy and cunning.

As for the fair share of responsability, I have to disagree with you. Chairman Kim would have never agreed to the divorce, if CSH had not accepted the divorce contract. CSH told her secretary, if she had protested about any clause, then Chairman Kim would have never agreed to the divorce. Chairman Kim had such a contract written in order to discourage her from leaving her son. That was the point, she thought thatby threatening her like that, CSH would give up. Kim has the impression that CSH is just like her mother but she is not. Worth, wealth and power don't matter to her.  

• Like 11

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Actually, her alimony was the failing hotel. Donghwa Hotel was on the verge of bankruptcy. CSH said that she had to take loans (episode 6, during the walk) in order to support the hotel. When she asked for the hotel, she thought that chairman Kim would be glad to get rid of that failing business. But you are right, these are just speculations on my part. In my opinion, by asking for the hotel as alimony, she wanted to leave the impression that she never married JWS in order to take advantage of his wealth. By not asking for money was a way to show that she is not greedy and cunning.

As for the fair share of responsability, I have to disagree with you. Chairman Kim would have never agreed to the divorce, if CSH had not accepted the divorce contract. CSH told her secretary, if she had protested about any clause, then Chairman Kim would have never agreed to the divorce. Chairman Kim had such a contract written in order to discourage her from leaving her son. That was the point, she thought thatby threatening her like that, CSH would give up. Kim has the impression that CSH is just like her mother but she is not. Worth, wealth and power don't matter to her.  

Actually the MIL had that clause specifically in there due to the investment of the family into her father’s political career. Im sure part of it was due to the son as well but definitely the usefulness of the political connection too. Which in present day Korea is almost intertwined. 

In addition I feel as though WS and SH kept in continual albeit infrequent contact annually since the divorce. When he said in the first episode that he hadnt seen her in awhile, in korea there was no reference to how long it has been. Obviously she shows up to her ex MIL’s bday every year and most likely to other significant family events so they do see each other. 

I still root for WS so badly- I am terribly biased towards him! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

7 minutes ago, bellaangel012 said:

Actually the MIL had that clause specifically in there due to the investment of the family into her father’s political career. Im sure part of it was due to the son as well but definitely the usefulness of the political connection too. Which in present day Korea is almost intertwined. 

In addition I feel as though WS and SH kept in continual albeit infrequent contact annually since the divorce. When he said in the first episode that he hadnt seen her in awhile, in korea there was no reference to how long it has been. Obviously she shows up to her ex MIL’s bday every year and most likely to other significant family events so they do see each other. 

I still root for WS so badly- I am terribly biased towards him! 

Well, I can understand that some might fall for JWS because he can be perceived as a poor, misunderstood person who has no power over his own life and against his mother. For some, he might appear as a victim too. But like I wrote it earlier, since I am watching a different drama where children are abused and even killed... I can not judge him as a poor man. 

My problem with him is that he allowed his wife to feel lonely for two whole years. Notice that he has only one picture of CSH that was taken before getting married. He even acknowledged that he didn't treat her correctly. To me, saying that he couldn't protect her is a weak point because in many episodes, he proved that he could stop his mother, even protect CSH. He is not powerless, he has even more power than JH! Yet, JH was the one who decided to side with CSH and protect her from the gossips. JH was treated worse than JWS and he was able to protect CSH by remaining cool, when chairman Kim insulted him and her ex-daughter-in-law.

But okay... I can only side with CSH and understand why she is so cold and distant towards JWS. Why was it so difficult to confess his love for her? That's the part where I can not understand him... his reason is that if she knew, then she would have become even unhappier and even more burdened. And that's where he was wrong. She would have felt loved... and as someone who is not even loved by her own mother, it can never become a burden. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Michelle Gonzalez said:

Hi do you know the name of song that is all the episodes in full english it singer or title? Shazamm doesn't work

I'm gonna guess you mean the song that many of us were wondering about.   It's Take Me On by SaltNPaper.  Poster @foolmoondance found the information about it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Another crazy speculation why CSH hated JWS too much... what if...

Notice when this drama even started filiming they said CSH is going to have a kid but in the end they decided not to... what if... they were about to have a kid but CSH had a miscarriage because of JWS? 

As I’ve said... I know it’s wild... It’s more of a mexican telenovela type of story haha :sweatingbullets: 

7 hours ago, sal2 said:

they often film more scenes than what is getting into the final product.

Yes. I’ve thought of that. But still, fingers crossed! :wub:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

boyfriend-main-1-2-800x445.jpg
DRAMA 

“We’re into each other”.. ‘Boyfriend’ Song Hye Kyo, innocent confession to Park Bo Gum

In the sixth episode of tvN new drama ‘Boyfriend’ that aired in 13th of December revealed Cha Soo Hyun (Song Hye Kyo) who started to accepted her feelings towards the young man. She took a step forward with Kim Jin Hyuk (Park Bo Gum), the innocent guy who insisted on taking a step closer to her life.

Cha Soo Hyun was feeling happy like an ordinary people when she was together with Kim Jin Hyuk. This time, the viewers were entertained by seeing the two of them smiling at each other and that the two of them can talk more comfortable now such as riding the bike together and celebrated their first day with a cake. Cha Soo Hyun also put on the lipstick that Kim Jin Hyuk gave her and she was smiling when reading the message that Kim Jin Hyuk sent, Cha Soo Hyun was simply happy for the whole day.

boyfriend-1-1.jpg image source: tvN

Cha Soo Hyun was slightly awkward and feeling strange but she tried hard to be honest to her feelings. Her changes were shown by her affection such as buying Jin Hyuk a tie and carefully put it on him while Jin Hyuk was slightly nervous at the sudden affection. The warm atmosphere between these two people in this drama made the viewers couldn’t take their eyes off the screen.

boyfriend-2-1.jpg image source: tvN

Especially since Cha Soo Hyun has decided to reveal her relationship with Kim Jin Hyuk in front of everyone made the viewers completely taken aback. Her confession is indeed unique because she was always careful on what she will say in front of the media and after realizing her sincere feeling towards Kim Jin Hyuk, she decided to do it. In the end of the episode, she touched the viewers heart by announcing that “We’re into each other” sternly.

boyfriend-3-1.jpg image source: tvN

The appearance of Song Hye Kyo that perfectly pictured Cha Soo Hyun’s brave side has captured the viewers attention. Now the viewers are anticipating more of emotional atmosphere in the drama. The viewers also happy to see Cha Soo Hyun stood up for herself and be honest to herself. At the same time, Cha Soo Hyun has successfully made the viewers feeling the spring in the middle of this winter. Because of Song Hye Kyo’s perfect performance, the drama ‘Boyfriend’ has gained another positive review.

Meanwhile, tvN drama ‘Boyfriend’ aired every Wednesday and Thursday at 9.30pm local time........source credit @http://my.castko.com/archives/28626

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

My prediction for the next episode is that when director Choi announces to JH that CSH might lose the hotel because of him, director Choi has been actually sent by JWS so that JH would back off. It is definitely not in Choi's interest to warn JH about the consequences. But if he is following JWS's order, then he can only gain from it.  

• Like 10

@jl08: I stil owe you my inputs to the points you've raised. I will respond based on the observation that this drama reverses the usual KDrama tropes.

Before that I want us to observe not the cake, but the red Christmas balls on the cake to celebrate their pre-relationship stage at the start of Episode 6

7OOyAzJ.png

One is bigger and glossy, the other one is smaller and has a matte finish. Kim Jin Hyuk gives the former to Cha Soo Hyun; he keeps the smaller matte one. By worldly standards, that is how they are perceived and judged.

lmpressive detail, isn't it?

See, I noticed it not on my first watch but after several rewatching. Pretty much like a beautiful piece of poetry.That is how amazing this drama is. 

Postscript: One development in Episode 6

Cha Soo Hyun has put up a Kim jin Hyuk Shrine in her sacred space.:blush:

UVRlr40.png

P.S. We do that for the people we cherished the most, right? Folowing our personal style, of course.:)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Of course I know she had to sign the contract if she wanted to get divorced. My point is: she asked for the hotel as alimony, bet at that times she didn't know about the contract. But when she read the contract and saw that disadvantage terms (the scandal terms), she should have known that it is a way of her ex MIL to control her business. She could just change it to money to avoid the ties with her ex MIL in a new contract.  SH is not greedy or cunning but I wished she could pretend like that in front of her ex MIL for once so that she would not be controlled by her. That's why I mean by saying she had her fair share of responsibility when signing the contract - and I don't mean that in a bad way at all. She divorced but maintained her dignity - that is how she is. 

In fact, SH received both the hotel and money as alimony, though the money was probably not too much: she used that to take her staff on a world tour of hotels and then to travel alone, like what she told JH during the walk.

• Like 6

I think the actor for CSH's dad has played mostly evil roles. I feel he directly/indirectly caused his journalist friend's death. I still HOPE the evil MIL is the one who was involved in the killing so the whole taeyang group can fall under since there's probably no way a hotel chain can bring it down and we know the MIL is gotta go (die/prison) for a happy closure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gumtaek said:

One is bigger and glossy, the other one is smaller and has a matte finish. Kim Jin Hyuk gives the former to Cha Soo Hyun; he keeps the smaller matte one. By worldly standards, that is how they are perceived and judged.

Daebak! Another amazing observation! I’m having goosebumps. Even this detail is not overlooked by the director! Gosh I’m loving this drama so much! ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Well, I can understand that some might fall for JWS because he can be perceived as a poor, misunderstood person who has no power over his own life and against his mother. For some, he might appear as a victim too. But like I wrote it earlier, since I am watching a different drama where children are abused and even killed... I can not judge him as a poor man. 

My problem with him is that he allowed his wife to feel lonely for two whole years. Notice that he has only one picture of CSH that was taken before getting married. He even acknowledged that he didn't treat her correctly. To me, saying that he couldn't protect her is a weak point because in many episodes, he proved that he could stop his mother, even protect CSH. He is not powerless, he has even more power than JH! Yet, JH was the one who decided to side with CSH and protect her from the gossips. JH was treated worse than JWS and he was able to protect CSH by remaining cool, when chairman Kim insulted him and her ex-daughter-in-law.

But okay... I can only side with CSH and understand why she is so cold and distant towards JWS. Why was it so difficult to confess his love for her? That's the part where I can not understand him... his reason is that if she knew, then she would have become even unhappier and even more burdened. And that's where he was wrong. She would have felt loved... and as someone who is not even loved by her own mother, it can never become a burden. 

This is why I like this character so much, because he is paradoxical. He loves CSH since she's like a breath of fresh air in a heavily perfumed room, but he doesn't know how to love her. He does a lot for her, but doesn't understand what she needs. He admires and even shares her desire to escape, but he is too cowardly, too attached to his position of power, and too ingrained in the concepts of status and propriety to follow. He wants her to be with him, but refuses to cause her unhappiness by forcing her back.

You wonder why it is difficult for him to confess his love? Look at who raised him. Look at what environment he's been in. He lives in a world of clandestine. Every word has to be carefully construed and analyzed for hidden meanings and intentions. The tenderness of real emotions is a weakness for your foes to exploit. Love means jack all in a household that values status and power above all else. Thus, confessing his love runs counter to every instinct that was fostered in him growing up under Chairman Kim.

There is nothing stopping him from confessing his love, other than his own flaws, his upbringing and his decisions. This makes him interesting. It gives an almost Shakespearean air to what appears to be a tragic ending that he's heading towards.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I'm more convinced it will have a happy ending.

1. If its not, the drama is sending a message that a big age gap is not acceptable in our society.

2. If its not, Two people of different society levels ,( financial, educational)entering into a romantic relationship is doomed.

3. If its not, relationship that is nurtured, grown at its own time is just the same as a whirlwind romance.

4. Im holding on to what the old cuban man said to JH, that their love started and completed here . If its, their love started and ended there, its a different story.

5, That poster, JH hugging SH, it shows how tight they will hold  on to each other. Their sad faces there just shows the hardship and sadness they will go through.

JH has his own way of taking things.

That talk with sec. Jang, he said, what kind of life u have ms. Cha

with HI,  his worries are not to himself

with Mil, he's angry to what has SH has endured with that family.

Whatever comes next,  he will handle it in his own unconventional way.

Now that he had SH at his back, he is more determined. He is stubborn, when he is into something, no one can stop him. 

• Like 18