[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

On 8/25/2018 at 2:15 AM, linh5000 said:
behind the scenes

Can someone please tell me the name of the 2nd song from this video? I remember hearing it somewhere before but can't recall.

Edited by angelangie
Mod Edit: Do not quote vids

2 hours ago, xmh322 said:

Can someone please tell me the name of the 2nd song from this video? I remember hearing it somewhere before but can't recall.

It is "Can't Learn" from Princess Agents

Vengo :love:

kHRVLuK.jpg

YqYEx5s.jpg

sN6skcj.jpg

• Like 6

On 8/25/2018 at 6:03 AM, TVN said:

It is "Can't Learn" from Princess Agents

Vengo :love:

Thank you, no wonder I remember hearing it from somewhere

I'm new to the forum, I've been lurking for a yr now. how do you post emojis?

Edited by angelangie
Mod Edit: Do not quote pictures

@Zelnk Thank you. Since I got to read the English translation of Pillow Book for free, I thought there was also a free version of TMOPB in English. :D

@karinos I watched Legend of Fuyao. It’s great. I also recommend it. But just like @pawla I also preferred the love story of the lead characters. Vengo’s acting was ok and he looked handsome as always. I’m prejudiced to Vengo and Reba pairing so I don’t give much interest when he is paired with other actresses. (This is just my preference. I don’t mean to criticize.) 

@Leslie Mtz C I also don’t remember the book mentioning of GunGun having a birthmark. He had Donghua’s white hair though. And I remember the description that he was plump and cuter than the mortal children. 

I had this theory since TMOPB that Feng Jiu’s birthmark had an origin to it. In TMOPB the story was that Donghua removed his name in that Rock of Fate (forgot the exact name) for the sake of all the the realms. So maybe when he did that, the one fated for her was left with a mark. Sort of Fate’s last act of grace to him that if he will later find that person with that unique mark on her forehead, he is given the choice of whether to pursue and claim his fate with her or he will remain steadfast in his choice to stay single for eternity. This just came to mind as he always seemed fascinated by Fengjiu’s birthmark and would always stroke it. I was quite relieved when I read Pillow Book that he actually fell in love with her. Love stories with happy endings are just addictive. 

• Like 5

A BIG THANKYOU again to everyone who post news updates, pics & leaks here! Much appreciated! :heart:

I’m going to try and stir up some discussion! I really want to take this thread to over 100 pages before the drama even starts airing! :D

So my question today is: What changes, if any, would you like to see the drama make to the book’s story?

SHOCKING, i know, considering how much a book purist i am! :w00t: But i’ll start with myself... WARNING: spoilers for people who haven’t read the book (obviously)

1. As i’ve already posted about before, i am super anticipating this drama’s mortal realm story! In my opinion, Eternal Love’s (made-up) mortal realm arc was not that interesting. Don’t hate me - i love DH & FJ’s chemistry, but honestly, i just laugh at DH the emperor, & drama FJ is way too immature. I also cannot stomach the idea of DH sleeping with so many concubines, so you can imagine how much i love the book because DH has only ever and will only ever be with FJ. Since DH never actually goes to the mortal realm in the book, i’m super curious about how they will spin it in the drama! All the pics and vids posted of DH the mortal crown prince look SOOO cool! I’m almost certain, with the amount of loud voices on weibo, that this drama knows what NOT to do. I’m sure they will NOT disappoint!

2. This isn’t really a change, but rather a clarification i’m looking to the drama to get. Tang Qi is an amazing writer, and weaves so many brilliant ideas together, that sometimes she forgets to harvest the seeds she plants. Scrupulous readers like me will be left frustrated without closure. Remember when DH tricked FJ into thinking he had turned himself into a handkerchief for her to vent her frustration on, when he actually just gave her any old handkerchief? FJ finds the character “Ji” on the handkerchief and assumes that it is a precious handkerchief given to him by Ji Heng (a bit of an illogical assumption from FJ, since if it was so precious to him, why would he give it to her to use as a “punching bag”?). Anyway, the book never explained why DH had a handkerchief with “Ji” on it. I assumed that Ji Heng DID indeed give it to him, but he doesn’t care about it, hence he grabbed it to give to FJ to abuse. I’d like the drama to expand on the handkerchief’s origins. It bugged me sooo much!

3. Another point of clarification needed is the inconsistencies in Aranya’s timeline. Su Mo Ye recalls Aranya giving Chen Ye a drawing at his 10th birthday, which gets mentioned many times, and which was eventually discarded in the garden by one of Aranya’s sisters. However, through the Miao Hua mirror’s depiction of Chen Ye’s life, we learn that Aranya was only a baby (say, about 5 years old) when Chen Ye (around age 10) discovers her in the snake pit. He spends 5 years feeding her his blood, then leaves for archmage training for 20 years. Upon his return, he sees Su Mo Ye rescuing Aranya from the snake pit. At this time, presumably, Aranya is 30 and Chen Ye is 35 (in biyiniao years, not human years). I’m a bit rusty with the numbers and can’t be bothered to look them up now, but you get the point: there’s no way Aranya attended his 10th birthday to give him a drawing, but it was said to be so important to Aranya. I was sooo confused. Su Mo Ye also said he rescued Aranya when she was 15 years old. Basically, Su Mo Ye’s account, FJ’s glimpse into Aranya’s soul, and Chen Ye’s point of view in the Miao Hua mirror, all gave inconsistent information about Aranya’s timeline. And despite the importance of the drawing incident to Aranya, it was never even mentioned or explained in Chen Ye’s point of view.

4. About the child-abandoning theme, people also looked to the Eternal Love drama to make this modification, but they didn’t. After Ye Hua’s “death”, Bai Qian basically abandons Ah Li and does not even visit him for 3 years, and insteads spends it drunk, asleep and travelling with 4th brother. Similarly, FJ basically abandons Gun Gun and goes to find DH, and despite knowing that going into the force field was suicide, does it anyway. My guess is that Tang Qi is not a mother. A mother, no matter how much she loves her husband, would never abandon their child, not matter what, and so POINTLESSLY. Again, i’m sure many are looking to the drama for some modifications. I’d like to see the mature and sensible FJ (in the book) chose life and choose to raise Gun Gun, instead of commit suicide because she thinks DH wants her to die with him (while he has no idea that they have a son). Pipe dreams, i know. But i think it’s a major flaw of both books and inconsistent with both BQ & FJ’s passionate characters that are fiercely protective of those they love. Though it may have been convenient for the plot to forget the children for the time being, i’ve read many people’s complaints and, as a mother, i think it’s very legitimate!

5. I’d like Su Mo Ye’s character to be tied off a little more neatly. He was integral as a plot device in Aranya’s Dream, but he was basically never mentioned again after they all left Aranya’s Dream (as a close friend of the Bai family, and after everything that happened, he should have been present at FJ’s bing cang ceremony & at their wedding, but his character just disappears after Aranya’s Dream). I’d like to see him apologise properly to DH & FJ for concealing his knowledge of matters, causing FJ much suffering when she was in Aranya’s body, and also causing misunderstanding between DH & FJ when he asked FJ (as Aranya) to pretend to be in love with Chen Ye. DH never gets a proper explanation for why FJ pretended to be in love with Chen Ye. FJ also never gets to find out why DH (as Xize) was caring for Aranya’s sister for so long before a sudden switch of attention to FJ. There was no closure for readers in relation to the misunderstandings caused by Su Mo Ye. I felt that Su Mo Ye needed to explain himself to DH after they left Aranya’s Dream, especially when DH helped solve all the mysteries he carried in his heart by building the Miao Hua mirror with him. He did not just mess with their fate unintentionally and innocently. He concealed their identities from each other deliberately for his own selfish reasons, and he needed to come clean and maybe even suffer some consequences, as karma goes. He was supposed to be a person of integrity, but he never got to redeem himself.

6. DH leaving FJ the night before their wedding to see a dying Ji Heng felt a bit weak as a justification. Though many things happened out of his control afterwards, i felt there needed to be greater justification and more urgent and important issues for DH to leave his bride right before they get married, than to see the selfish and dishonest woman HE NOW KNOWS has been the cause of much of FJ’s anguish. Honouring Ji Heng’s dead father seems hardly enough reason to abandon his bride. He had already once saved Ji Heng from the poison and executed a fake engagement/wedding with her to help her escape and elope - this was already done to honour her father, at her father’s request (his dying wish). To repeat that reason again, especially when we find out Ji Heng orchestrated it all along by poisoning herself, seems too weak. I hope the drama can spin it a bit better. Eternal Love did a great job at upping the ante and raising the stakes by adding layers of complexity to Li Jing’s story (he was quite dispensible in the book, but absolutely indispensable in the drama - i loved him!). I hope they can add a bit more depth to Ji Heng’s role as a plot device! We all love to hate her, but DH needs more reason to abandon his bride like that!

7. I want to see more scenes with Zhe Yan! I LOOOVE this character! And i have a crush on Luo Jin’s portrayal of Zhe Yan in Once Upon A time! :wub: Come on, ignore the fact that his costume with blue feathers made him look like a giant peacock, HE WAS HOT!!! They all were! - Yang Yang, Liu Yifei... so much eye-candy! :love: Okay, i’m getting sidetracked... Luo Jin aside, I still want to see more Zhe Yan. We all know FJ’s father was mean. Zhe Yan was her true father figure. Looking forward to see how this new actor will portray him.

8. I’d like to see the 10 days DH & FJ spent at the Blue Sea in more detail! The book kinda glossed over it... i want the drama to show what they did. Same with the last week FJ spent with “Xize” (DH) in Aranya’s Dream. I want more detail!

9. While some people thought the ending to the book was a bit abrupt, i thought it was brilliant and well-executed. Still, it left me wanting more. In the drama, i want to see an expanded ending, most importantly, with FJ awake and all 3 of them living happily ever after and forever. :wub: Actually, in my imagination, it will be 4 of them, since DH & FJ agreed to have 2 kids. I imagine FJ & BQ pregnant together, each carrying a daughter... etc. etc. FJ also needs to finally see that bird dance that DH promised her (with a contract in writing!). And DH needs to finally be told by FJ that his sweet and sour fish SUCKS!!!

That’s all from me for now! ;) I think i’m looking too much to the drama to get the kind of closure the book didn’t give.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, aprincessofmars said:

Yang Mi looks to be in costume, for that matter they probably all are if the secret hairstyles weren't a giveawayalready. Do you think they will be filming her cameo? :D

I think she will be in The Pillow Book as a cameo but I don't think MC will reprise his role as YH though. 

• Like 3

@redfoxprincess Hi..such a fun read your post ...aroused so many Questions(all is very logical perceptions/pov

My assumption or my point of view no 6 Why DH leave his bride and went to see JH . When YC come to see DH he also presented the "Crystal Badge"(represented a promise from DH- a dept of honor) that DH give to Jiheng father but never use it till the day he died.MS(Jiheng father)Having nothing else on his beside the Crystal Badge he decided to give it to Jiheng as a Keepsakes.Jiheng use the Crystal Badge to make last attempt hoping DH would fullfill her dying wish to make DH divorce FJ and never remarry .We know how DH respond and by taking back his Crystal Badge . In honor of Jiheng father he also make a drastic act to draw directly a poison from Jiheng to himself and DH ask YC send a messages/letter that was never received. 

When I read this part I was so miffed with DH for someone who are extremely intelligent can be so dense to fell to JH trick..WTH..I curse him hahaha...

• Like 3

@redfoxprincess You have just started a juicy topic for discussion. :) You make me want to read the book again. LOL :D

Amongst the things you mentioned, the matter that bothered me the most in both TMOPB and Pillow Book was also the issue of child abandonment. 

In TMOPB, my eyebrows raised when I watched that episode where Ali met Bai Qian on the way to visit Yehua’s grave, and said he missed her coz she had never visited him.

I’m not a mother but from observing my own mother and other mothers, I know how attached they are to their children to make separation or abandonment unthinkable.

But I’ll tell you how I resolved this issue. I just put to mind that it’s a story about immortals who may have a different mindset from us mortals. They train their children to be more independent and not be too emotionally attached. (I’m adapting Su Moye’s thoughts when he rescued Aranya from the snake pit) The theme of the story is about eternal love between immortals, so well, come hell or high water, they will sacrifice everything in the name of amor. Romantic, eh? ;) Children will later on leave the nest to search for their own destinies, so stick to your lifetime partner and cherish him/her.

I’m itching to touch on the other points you made but I’ll leave them for later discussion. I still have lots of dramas to catch. 

Have a good day/good night fellow dreamers! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, junerain7 said:

@redfoxprincess Children will later on leave the nest to search for their own destinies, so stick to your lifetime partner and cherish him/her.

It seems like it’s the parents who leave the nest and the children who stay! :D I’m just speaking from how it was described in the books... BQ said her parents left the nest, and she was now in charge. BQ’s parents basically left the kids to be taken care of by Zhe Yan, and FJ’s parents left her to be taken care of by BQ. Even worse, BQ in the book says her parents left her to go away by themselves to “build a love nest”. :rolleyes: Maybe that’s how it works with the Qing Qiu royal foxes... i do recall BQ & FJ in the books both talking about their PARENTS leaving the NEST!

Anyway thanks for your take on it! It makes sense but i still can’t stomach it, especially when both Ah Li and Bai Gun Gun are obviously very young (3 and 2 years old in human years) and attached, especially Bai Gun Gun who has only known and lived with his mother (at least Ah Li has always lived in the Palace away from BQ and never really known her, dead or alive).

• Like 3