[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

So Resource/References!

Link to Pillow Book novel translations: 

@UnluckyWhiteCat's site and Back to Chaos translation  

ELOD  Main Blog -
Main site
Back to Chaos chapters
Important Articles
The source of the landscapes and other locations mentioned in the series.
Gods and other important status details (aka why the drama should never have shown the Fox King or Queen bowing to the Celestial King's decree). 

Fox Candy Mold link and recipe (I had copied this from the old thread -I think @MayanEcho had posted it originally. 

Sugar foxes, anyone?
Here's a recipe posted in FB:
2 cups sugar
2/3 corn syrup
1/4 water
desired flavor (optional)

Fox molds
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001233732669.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.1.584e254cTel5EH
Dragon Molds
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963283832.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.12.338d24adq9jPKv

Bring to 375F (191C) with candy thermometer and pour to the moulds 

*** I have found several sites recommend that Lyle's Golden Syrup be used in place of corn syrup for better flavored candies. 

*** the subtitles suggest that certain honey was used in making them but not sure if that was a miswording. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

In with the NEW out with the OLD. Such is the cycle of life!

So I wanted to share more about the balance of power in the current age of the Eight Realms.

About power balance in the Four Seas and Eight Realms.

Dong Hua distributed his single absolute power to several different Lords so that no one person can abuse his power as the sole Lord of the Four Seas and Eight Realms. This is the best way - decentralised governance in the hands of reliable people.

Current Age redistribution of power:

Eastern Realm - Qing Qiu Fox King - redistributed it into 5 realms amongst his 5 children. Feng Jiu became the young Queen of Qing Qiu when her aunt married Ye Hua, becoming the Crown Princess, and future Heavenly Queen.

Nine Heavens - Heavenly Lord

Underworld  - They have never ever been part of Nine Heavens. They work in partnership with them and attend court sessions when necessary. It is under the control of the Black and White Lords of the Underworld, siblings Xie Gu Chou (Black) and Xie Hua Lou (White). When one is ruling, the other is in a deep sleep and vice versa.

Northern Realm - Part of it under the Ghost King (currently Li Jing who btw is still the Ghost King in the books, he did not die in the books). Ghost race is a vassal state of Nine Heavens.

Earthly Realms - This is scattered into different Lords taking care of different things. For example, Immortal Lord Cang Yi, the master of the thousands of rivers and valleys in the billions of mortal realms. 

Four Seas - Under the control of the four dragon kings. Sang Ji is now the Lord of the Northern Sea. Su Mo Ye is the second son of the Lord of the West Sea. The Lord of the East Sea is a benefactor of Bai Qian, as her mother ran into difficulties in labour. Mother and baby were both saved by a midwife sent by the previous Lord of the East Sea. 

The nine tailed foxes are known to have difficult labours, and I am just thankful Feng Jiu came through giving birth to Bai Gun Gun on her own. Clap Clap Clap!

-------

After the final war between them and Dong Hua that made him Master of Heaven and Earth:-

The demon race has 7 governing clans by 7 Lords:

We have met several - Yan Chi Wu, Pretty boy Lord of the Green Clan (and Feng Jiu's bestie), Xu Yang the power hungry Lord of the Red Clan (in the book he was ambitious and wanted to be the alpha Lord of the Demons), and Nie Chu Yin, Lord of the Black Clan who is equally cunning and wants to usurp power.

Wait till Ancestor Goddess, Shao Wan returns. She will fix those that don't behave, hahaha! After all, the good goddess saved us mere humans!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

@Ninky @MayanEcho @UnluckyWhiteCat  -can you guys help me make a list of cast of characters, their chinese characters and their names meanings?  

Mo Yuan

Ye Hua    Magnificant? 

Bai Qian  White Light? 

A'Li  Leaving?

Dong Hua DJin

Bai Feng Jiu  White Phoenix 9

Bai Gun Gun 

Zhe Lan

Lian Song

Si Ming

Yan ChiWu 

Su Moye

7 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

If not to be recovered, I have plenty enough pics, and drama summaries! :D

start adding them methinks! if nothing else this can help be a bridge for newbies who might feel daunted by the other larger paged forum!

53 minutes ago, Romulan said:

@Ninky @MayanEcho @UnluckyWhiteCat  -can you guys help me make a list of cast of characters, their chinese characters and their names meanings?  

Mo Yuan

Ink (dark) Deep (deep valley)

Ye Hua    Magnificant? 

Magnificent Night

Bai Qian  White Light? 

Surname White. We do not add surnames to the meaning of Chinese names. Her name is a single word - Shallow as in Water (in contrast to Mo Yuan's Deep), could also mean "Light" as in Dark and Light. and a third meaning is sink. There are several meanings to the word so in this context, it would most likely be Light. The origin of their surname is probably because the starting clan members were Arctic nine tailed foxes so they were pure white.

A'Li  Leaving?

Literally means A Li - Leaving/separation. But he has been given a formal name it's Bai Chen (Surname White but his name means Dragon)

Dong Hua DJin

Dong Hua = Eastern Brilliance or Magnificence (either as it is roughly the same meaning)

Bai Feng Jiu  White Phoenix 9

Phoenix Nine, we omit surnames in meanings. It's not because she has nine tails. It's because of her forehead birthmark that she was named as such. Birthmark said to have 9 petals. Looks like the Phoenix Plume (flower). But the nine could also be because she is a nine tailed fox. So you can take her name to mean Nine tailed fox with a Phoenix Plume (flower) on her forehead as well.

Bai Gun Gun 

Rolling Rolling HAHAHAH (his formal name has not been given but it will be as he can't be called that his entire life ewww!

Zhe Lan

It's Zhe Yan, not Zhe Lan. His name is funny it means Loosing Face. Or Cut Colour. Depends on how you want to see it.

Lian Song

Lotus (song has no meaning it has historically meant the Song Dynasty of China and large somebody's surname)

Si Ming

Reflecting Life - His name is actually a good one. He is a star lord that writes the destinies of Humans in each of their lifetimes. So yeah his name matches what he does.

Yan ChiWu 

Pond (likely to denote water) Enlightened.

Su Moye

Mo Ye = Stranger/Distant Leaf

You can't really look at their names literally. For example Feng Jiu is named as such because of her birthmark but if u read it literally, it sounds really weird and makes no sense.

7 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Ink Deep

Magnificent Night

Surname White. We do not add surnames to the meaning of Chinese names. Her name is a single word - Shallow (in contrast to Mo Yuan's Deep)

Literally means A Li - Leaving/separation. But he has been given a formal name it's Bai Chen (Surname White but his name means Dragon)

Dong Hua = Eastern Brilliance or Magnificence (either as it is roughly the same meaning)

Phoenix Nine, we omit surnames in meanings. It's not because she has nine tails. It's because of her forehead birthmark that she was named as such. Birthmark said to have 9 petals. Looks like the Phoenix Plume (flower). But the nine could also be because she is a nine tailed fox. So you can take her name to mean Nine tailed fox with a Phoenix Plume (flower) on her forehead as well.

Rolling Rolling HAHAHAH (his formal name has not been given but it will be as he can't be called that his entire life ewww!

It's Zhe Yan, his name is funny it means Loosing Face

Lotus (song has no meaning it has historically meant the Song Dynasty of China and large somebody's surname)

Reflecting Life

Pond (likely to denote water) Enlightened.

Mo Ye = Stranger/Distant Leaf

You can't really look at their names literally. For example Feng Jiu is named as such because of her birthmark but if u read it literally, it sounds really weird and makes no sense.

Thanks @Ninky its like our names for mine the literal translations of my first and middle names are  bitter herb/myrrh and either gazelle/gorgeous (most dictionaries only 1st gazelle) so using the literal meanings wouldnt make sense.  I was just including the Surnames so that their names were fully listed and since they are one of the only ones with surnames in the series so far.

Though I gotta say "Shallow" doesnt seem like a great name for Fox King and Queen's only daughter -lol. 

I think @MayanEcho had mentioned in the old thread that it was sometimes translated as Light instead of Shallow?   and that Su-Su meant something similar?

Back to Chaos finally gives us the name of the Fox Queen. 

Photos! Here are some that I did as an edit challenge in an event thread. 

ELOD

165796369_10105735944318633_765876153987

ELOD - Dong Hua's favorite things!

165804584_10105735944343583_544403187951

46 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm readying those as of now. :)

Hooray!

Also since my replies are merging. -- I shall quote myself so I can put the other threads in the quote

ELOD - easy art icons to use as you would like!

1 Heart of Fox Candies

179596526_10105791040121203_467022130452

2 Feng Jiu -Sleeping

166289666_10105735945461343_478797089253

3 Bai Gun Gun -Sleeping 166577328_10105735944134003_273752214364

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Thanks @Ninky its like our names for mine the literal translations of my first and middle names are  bitter herb/myrrh and either gazelle/gorgeous (most dictionaries only 1st gazelle) so using the literal meanings wouldnt make sense.  I was just including the Surnames so that their names were fully listed and since they are one of the only ones with surnames in the series so far.

Though I gotta say "Shallow" doesnt seem like a great name for Fox King and Queen's only daughter -lol. 

That word has three meanings. Shallow, Light and Sink. Look at the update to my post. I have listed Light as one of the names and most likely the correct one in the context of using it as a name. Su Su does not mean light. It means Simple, which as a mortal she was.

I think @MayanEcho had mentioned in the old thread that it was sometimes translated as Light instead of Shallow?   and that Su-Su meant something similar?

Back to Chaos finally gives us the name of the Fox Queen. 

Photos! Here are some that I did as an edit challenge in an event thread. 

ELOD

ELOD - Dong Hua's favorite things!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, Wuzetian said:

What happened to the old thread??? Oh no...We were almost there 1000 pages!

AccIdental glitch!

And btw guys I have 2 more chapters of outtake to translate and It's all done! Who else wants a pdf copy once it's all up? A few of you have requested, just asking if anyone else wants one. PM me with an email if so. But I intend to maintain this blog for years. We are going to keep translating Lotus Step and later Bodhi Fate and the last unnamed titles Tang Qi will write about Xie Hua Lou (Yan Chi Wu and her love story) and Xie Gu Chou.

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

Eternal Love of Dream

Character Posters

spacer.png

DILRABA DILMURAT as BAI FENG JIU

spacer.png

GAO WEI GUANG as DONG HUA DI JUN

Spoiler

gPtzStJ.jpg

BARON CHEN as ZHE YAN

UK6naRL.jpg

DYLAN KOU as SU MO YE

d2Q1bXB.jpg

ANGEL LIU as JI HENG

Q8ziVm4.jpg

WAYNE LIU as YAN CHI WU

CwQ8koP.jpg

LAWRENCE WANG as SI MING

S9PgoXv.jpg

LI DONG HENG  as LIAN SONG

kRBtnmI.jpg

YUAN YU XUAN as CHENG YU

IxZu5lf.jpg

HUANG JUN JIE as BAI ZHEN

hVbzDt6.jpg

ZHANG MING CAN as AH LI

yR0I5NN.jpg

KUO YUN HAO as BAI GUN GUN

@Romulan the translation of Yan Zhi is in fact Rouge as I mentioned in the old thread. So imo it's a vegetable that is likely found only in the fictional Eight Realms. Don't think it's spinach. The name implies a rather colourful vegetable.

7 minutes ago, Ninky said:

@Romulan the translation of Yan Zhi is in fact Rouge as I mentioned in the old thread. So imo it's a vegetable that is likely found only in the fictional Eight Realms. Don't think it's spinach. The name implies a rather colourful vegetable.

I see!   Im still going to order some of that stuff that @UnluckyWhiteCat mentioned sounds perfect as I needed a vine to grow over an outdoor enclosed catio my sister and I made for our grandmother.  It grows 33 ft so thinking 4 or 5 plants on either side and guide them to grow across and an down the other side! -and we can eat it too!

Anyone got the BGM link that was posted for ELOD?  (@MayanEcho I think you posted it?)

Im going to find the links i had to a couple of ELOD  fan videos that I thought were pretty good!

Mingyue Tianya (most of the great fight scenes in the ELOD )

Dong Hua and FengJiu's main scenes in Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms

Funny BTS with english subs