[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

Just now, MayanEcho said:

Dong Hua should be towering over Lian Song. :lol:

Not really in the books both men are tall and strikingly handsome. All described as pretty men....

That's why Shao Wan called them all sissies...

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

2 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Not really in the books both men are tall and strikingly handsome. All described as pretty men....

That's why Shao Wan called them all sissies...

Shao Wan haven't seen Lian Song yet though. But all them classmate guys were pretty for her, LOL. Even Feng Xing wanted her to regard him as a pretty boy.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

7 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Shao Wan haven't seen Lian Song yet though. But all them classmate guys were pretty for her, LOL. Even Feng Xing wanted her to regard him as a pretty boy.

Apparently it's her compliment HAHAHA!

P.S. I think I might do a Highlighted Chapters of Pillow Book for the Blog, alongside Lotus Step Vol 1. Don't think I want to touch TMOPB at this point yet. Maybe later if time allows.

Chapter 8 outtake will come through in the next 3 days. Just had annoying long extended shifts in the past week. Seems to have abated in the last day at least. So been sleeping a bit more.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, Ninky said:

Apparently it's her compliment HAHAHA!

That's what I thought too, but only Feng Xing got it for what it is - a backhanded compliment. :lol:

8 hours ago, Ninky said:

P.S. I think I might do a Highlighted Chapters of Pillow Book for the Blog, alongside Lotus Step Vol 1. Don't think I want to touch TMOPB at this point yet. Maybe later if time allows.

I think that's a good plan, if ever you'll have the time to do it in the future. IMO TMOPB book translations by Hamster and Toland are not as popular reading as that of PB. Thus, it's going to take more time, since there seem to be plenty of discrepancies too when compared to the original Mandarin novel; you might even end up translating the whole book. Not that we mind if you do TMOPB (I for one will adore closer to the original text translation), though some are more interested with Lotus Steps, and I rather think even more are looking forward to Bodhi Fate.

And yay for the PB Back to Chaos ch8 update! Take your time though if you are busy and tired, your rest and well-being should always be first.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

That's what I thought too, but only Feng Xing got it for what it is - a backhanded compliment. :lol:

I think that's a good plan, if ever you'll have the time to do it in the future. IMO TMOPB book translations by Hamster and Toland are not as popular reading as that of PB. Thus, it's going to take more time, since there seem to be plenty of discrepancies too when compared to the original Mandarin novel; you might even end up translating the whole book. Not that we mind if you do TMOPB (I for one will adore closer to the original text translation), though some are more interested with Lotus Steps, and I rather think even more are looking forward to Bodhi Fate.

And yay for the PB Back to Chaos ch8 update! Take your time though if you are busy and tired, your rest and well-being should always be first.

Agreed! Hamster took down the TMPBs for the reasons mentioned previously and never put them back up later. Everyone says To the Sky Kingdom is bad so I was just curious.  

But definitely real life/family takes precedence for sure!

:) .

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Agreed! Hamster took down the TMPBs for the reasons mentioned previously and never put them back up later. Everyone says To the Sky Kingdom is bad so I was just curious.  

But definitely real life/family takes precedence for sure!

:) .

Hamster believed the rumours. I did not. Tang Qi had this verified in the court of law in defence of her work and she actually won. I got hold of the other book and looked through. No she most definitely did not copy anything, its just that the immortal themes are similar. But the themes have been rehashed in many books and thats not plagiarism. 

If you saw the articles we translated on our blog, Tang Qi was inspired by old Chinese mythical classics. It had nothing to do with that boy-love novel that she was accused of plagiarising.

Because of the stupid harassment she got from keyboard warriors, she sealed her pen on this series for almost 10 years! But it may not be a bad thing. Lotus Step is an epic story in the making.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Hamster believed the rumours. I did not. Tang Qi had this verified in the court of law in defence of her work and she actually won. I got hold of the other book and looked through. No she most definitely did not copy anything, its just that the immortal themes are similar. But the themes have been rehashed in many books and thats not plagiarism. 

If you saw the articles we translated on our blog, Tang Qi was inspired by old Chinese mythical classics. It had nothing to do with that boy-love novel that she was accused of plagiarising.

Because of the stupid harassment she got from keyboard warriors, she sealed her pen on this series for almost 10 years! But it may not be a bad thing. Lotus Step is an epic story in the making.

Right. I saw her article on it.  But I also did a little research and saw Tang Qi had been exonerated.  Its similar to them complaints that Yin Yang Master Dreams of Eternity scenes were plagiarizing Doctor Strange scenes visually. (the teleportation circle being one of them)  -the difference there is the director in the past had plagerized and it gets rebrought up every time something is about to be released.

However when I saw read that my first reaction was - have they not seen other Asian fantasy series?  If anything Doctor Strange took some common wuxia elements.    

There are certain tropes that gets used alot in stories across the world, its all about how people decide to use those tropes.  

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

Lotus Step is an epic story in the making.

Agree with this. Lian Song has a story. He doesn't seem stellar compared to the elder brothers, but this water God grew up as Dong Hua's protégé.

2 hours ago, Romulan said:

There are certain tropes that gets used alot in stories across the world, its all about how people decide to use those tropes.  

Right on this. Many names and events that are part of mythology and legends are used every now and then creatively - playwrights,  compositions, novels, etc. 

The one who accused another of plagiarism should have presented the proof that TQ did. However, it is very telling that it was TQ who sued against that accusation to her, and she won. Unless it is the authorities to the matter that say otherwise, the courts have proven that she did not copy somebody's work.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Agree with this. Lian Song has a story. He doesn't seem stellar compared to the elder brothers, but this water God grew up as Dong Hua's protégé.

Right on this. Many names and events that are part of mythology and legends are used every now and then creatively - playwrights,  compositions, novels, etc. 

The one who accused another of plagiarism should have presented the proof that TQ did. However, it is very telling that it was TQ who sued against that accusation to her, and she won. Unless it is the authorities to the matter that say otherwise, the courts have proven that she did not copy somebody's work.

She didn't but those so called keyboard warriors were terrible. Calling her names and harassing her publicly on weibo. 

For the record, imo the accuser probably did it on purpose. Her books got published AFTER the accusations made her famous. This is a telling sign.

• Like 2
  • Unamused 1

4 minutes ago, Ninky said:

She didn't but those so called keyboard warriors were terrible. Calling her names and harassing her publicly on weibo. 

Sadly, it isn't just in weibo. In other sites too. They review TTSK as plagiarised work.

Plagiarism is a serious offense, and no, its not merely similarity or identical word for word copying. There are criteria to be considered before someone's work is considered plagiarised.

13 minutes ago, Ninky said:

For the record, imo the accuser probably did it on purpose. Her books got published AFTER the accusations made her famous. This is a telling sign.

Perhaps it did. But after some more years, will her work still have audience. 

I don't know if the accuser has leveled up. Two of TQ's books are adapted to a movie and dramas. I dare say the 3L3W will continue,  and if what an article last year stated is right,  the latest work's drama adaptation's script is ready.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Sadly, it isn't just in weibo. In other sites too. They review TTSK as plagiarised work.

Plagiarism is a serious offense, and no, its not merely similarity or identical word for word copying. There are criteria to be considered before someone's work is considered plagiarised.

Perhaps it did. But after some more years, will her work still have audience. 

I don't know if the accuser has leveled up. Two of TQ's books are adapted to a movie and dramas. I dare say the 3L3W will continue,  and if what an article last year stated is right,  the latest work's drama adaptation's script is ready.

I am just glad she got over that hump and began writing again, with two extra books on the Xie siblings coming as part of this series of work. For me, that is a sign that she feels exonerated. She wrote another series to vent her frustration about this whole affair. It's called Four Acts of a Play or Si Mu Xi in Chinese. This is a story set in modern life but it's got a sad ending. 

The accuser's books were Boy Love books, so it's definitely NOT going to be made into anything in China. It's still unacceptable in Chinese culture, unfortunately. I have always been very different from most people of Chinese descent, I'm more like a rebel. People's orientation and whatnot is not at all important to me. They are still my friends or family irregardless. 

Nah Lotus Step is not script ready at all, she hasn't even finished writing all 4 volumes.

HAHAHAHA! Di Jun has a nice physique as described by Tang Qi in Chapter 8. One thing about Vengo is he was a tad too skinny hehe. And that wound he sustained from the Cang Lei Whip ouch! And he could still ahem do what he did later...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

"Say… how did Xiao Bai look when she was a baby?” (PB2, p381)

Credit: @gong_ELD

In reply to the dig at Lian Song...

You know what this means? see below!

From ELOD BLOG - 3L3W Q & A 1

Q9. Between Bai Qian, Feng Jiu, Cheng Yu and Shao Wan, who is the most beautiful!!

A: Before the awakening of the goddesses from the Era of Great Desolation, the publicly accepted consensus is Bai Qian, followed by Feng Jiu, followed by Xie Hua Lou. After Zhu Ti, Shao Wan and Xie Ming awaken, the beauty ranking chart will cease to exist in the 8 realms.

-> This means after the ancients awaken, it will be impossible to name a beauty. Besides all their husbands (except Xie Ming at this point) will insist their wives are the most beautiful so I guess that chart will definitely cease to exist.

----

Q10. Sister Qi, with the complicated mess of seniority between Gun Gun and A-Li, how do they refer to each other?

A: If Gun Gun follows Feng Jiu’s side of the family, he would be referring to everyone in Qing Qiu as his senior. Di Jun is still senior regardless, it’s just like when an Emperor marries the Empress, you can’t be expecting the Empress’s father to call the Emperor simply as son-in-law.

-> Hahaha! Di Jun is still senior regardless!

----

Q7.

1. How did Dong Hua recover from the Qiu Shui poison and the wounds sustained from carving half his heart after the starlight ward events? Can the poison be eradicated? Will his heart grow back? Who healed Feng Jiu?

A: Dong Hua will recover once he spends enough time healing in seclusion. His heart will grow back. Zhe Yan combined Di Jun’s blood with his elixirs to heal Feng Jiu.

2. Will Dong Hua have a second fox cub? Who will purify the three toxins or do similar heroic deeds in the future, surely it won’t be Di Jun’s turn to fade? Will they live happily together forever?

A: There will be other fox cubs. I will not be writing Di Jun fading in the Three Lives Three World series in my lifetime. They can continue living happily together.

3. When will Brother Qi (Tang Qi) write Bodhi Fate? Will Mo Yuan get a happy ending? Will snippets of DongFeng’s happy life be written into Lotus step and Bodhi Fate? (I love DongFeng the most).

A: I will write Bodhi Fate after finishing Lotus Step. I will include cameos of DongFeng’s family of three in both books.

4. I have always imagined Gun Gun’s true form to be a nine-tailed fox shaped stone, I even found something similar to wear as an accessory. Can Brother Qi verify if I am correct?

A: Incorrect. He is a silver nine-tailed fox cub. While it is true that I have set up Di Jun as an immortal who emerged from a rock and he does like to wear purple robes, but… who said his true form is a rock? The sentence, “He is an immortal made of rock” is a metaphor, a reference to the rumour that his character is principled, upright and outstanding. It is not meant to imply that he is literally made out of rock.

-> No 1 is written into chapter 3 of outtake :D. And yay they will have more fox cubs. HEHE! 

And she is never writing him fading so we all can rest assured our hero has a long long time with his little red 9-tailed fox. Well we will get more Dong Feng in all the following books! And he most definitely isn't made out of rock, Tang Qi loves metaphors! A lot of her writing is metaphoric which is why I have to be extra careful to get the correct meaning down correctly when translating!

----

Q18. I have been waiting for my card to flip for almost a year, wah wah wah, can I ask why does our Dong Hua need to purify the Three Poisons Impurity even after Shao Wan and Mo Yuan have awakened? Hearing the news that he still might need to go into a deep sleep made me feel heartbroken. Our Feng Jiu cannot accompany him as she needs to raise her child. Tang Qi, you must feel that you can’t bear to let those two poor things lose the only smart man in their family for several hundred thousand years. Why can’t other people purify it?

A: This explanation can be found in the book. Let me sticky it here for you.

“Feng Jiu stood at the edge of the starlight ward. She felt the rustling of strong winds, rocking her into a desire to fall. When Zhong Lin mentioned about the Miao Yi Hui Ming realm, he had already explained that every immortal’s essence is different. The Three Poisons Impurity in the realm can only be ultimately purified by one type of immortal force. If other immortals use their power to disturb this force, it will only cause more trouble. Feng Jiu understood that she cannot help Dong Hua when it was time to purify the Three Poisons Impurity, the only thing she could help him with was in defeating the monster, Miao Luo.”

Translator's note: The author has mentioned in the other Q & A that she will never be writing Di Jun fade in her lifetime, so this means she will have to think of another way to purify the three poisons. The author has dropped hints that due to future plot development in the other books, she will not be able to write further about this at the moment.

-> As a few of you have asked me before why only Dong Hua can purify the three poisons. It's not because the other immortals are weaker and can't do the same thing. It is due to the above reason Tang Qi has explained. Some of them can do what Di Jun can in this regard, notably Mo Yuan and Shao Wan or even Xie Ming (her martial prowess is much higher than Miao Luo) but they were NOT the immortals who created the Miao Yi Realm to use as a vessel to contain the poison. It needs to be purified by the same immortal who had used his own signature (or essence if you prefer) to contain the poisons.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

3 hours ago, Ninky said:

The accuser's books were Boy Love books, so it's definitely NOT going to be made into anything in China. It's still unacceptable in Chinese culture, unfortunately. I have always been very different from most people of Chinese descent, I'm more like a rebel. People's orientation and whatnot is not at all important to me. They are still my friends or family irregardless. 

In many places it is still unacceptable, whether by law or by social norms. I myself don't mind somebody's orientation or beliefs, just so long that he or she doesn't use that as an excuse to justify being deserving of special treatment or be above the law.

3 hours ago, Ninky said:

Nah Lotus Step is not script ready at all, she hasn't even finished writing all 4 volumes.

Perhaps mistaken, though I don't know if there are any other drama in the making with Lotus Steps as title. I came across that article about a production company's financial report and projects they would be making.

3 hours ago, Ninky said:

HAHAHAHA! Di Jun has a nice physique as described by Tang Qi in Chapter 8. One thing about Vengo is he was a tad too skinny hehe. And that wound he sustained from the Cang Lei Whip ouch! And he could still ahem do what he did later...

Sigh, Vengo was skinny when he finished filming that Candle in the Tomb and then he joined ELOD production still so slender. 

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

And she is never writing him fading so we all can rest assured our hero has as long long time with his little red 9-tailed fox

DH is like almost everybody's favourite baby. :lol: And FJ with BGG the favourites from the nine-tailed fox clan.

• Like 3

Dunno about you, but just reading about Di Jun's wound caused by the Dragon Lightning Whip (Cang Lei) in Chinese and then translating it to English made me cringe:

Back to Chaos in a Dream Chapter 8 unedited:

"The upper robe slid off his body, falling in a pile at his waist, revealing the young man’s strong and beautiful bare back in the gentle florescence of the bright pearl. Along with his back, the vicious whip injury running from his left shoulder right across his entire back to the right side of his waist also became visible. Due to the slow healing of the injury, the rolling fresh flesh could still be seen even after debridement of the wound."

Seriously OUCH!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Dunno about you, but just reading about Di Jun's wound caused by the Dragon Lightning Whip (Cang Lei) in Chinese and then translating it to English made me cringe:

Back to Chaos in a Dream Chapter 8 unedited:

"The upper robe slid off his body, falling in a pile at his waist, revealing the young man’s strong and beautiful bare back in the gentle florescence of the bright pearl. Along with his back, the vicious whip injury running from his left shoulder right across his entire back to the right side of his waist also became visible. Due to the slow healing of the injury, the rolling fresh flesh could still be seen even after debridement of the wound."

Seriously OUCH!

His whip wound went beneath the skin and took off his skin as well. With this kind of agonising injury he received, he'll absolutely use the Cang'he to make their heads roll.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

His whip wound went beneath the skin and took off his skin as well. With this kind of agonising injury he received, he'll absolutely use the Cang'he to make their heads roll.

That's what debridement means. Its a process where the dead flesh and skin is taken off so clean tissue can heal properly. That's why u can see the rolls of fresh flesh eeep!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ninky said:

That's what debridement means. Its a process where the dead flesh and skin is taken off so clean tissue can heal properly. That's why u can see the rolls of fresh flesh eeep!

I'll be mad as hell too if I received that kind of injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

They all lost their heads to the Cang He!!!

They all deserved losing their heads. They chose the wrong newlywed deity to be crossed. :smirk:

U7TlOtq.jpeg

Source: ELOD,  YT (screenshot by poster)

• Like 3
  • Blob 1