[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

40 minutes ago, Romulan said:

There is one problem with that..when you have a high alcohol tolerance you dont get any major reveals. (For me at least, worse I get is amused about stuff and get tired. 

But Ive seen that be the case for many friends that I have witnessed. 

Feng Jiu is like a college aged young girl, it's probably why she is like this but then again nine tailed foxes do like to drink until they are totally intoxicated. Bai Qian was the same.

And anyone as excited as me about Chapter 7's release. Won't be too long, probably in a few days. I am working on all remaining chapters at the same time so I can get them all penned before I get back to work. Then they get thoroughly edited before they are posted one by one at different times!

@Romulan haven't seen you too much lately :). Busy?

• Like 1
  • Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MayanEcho

• Ninky

• jimmylyne

• Megan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fresh out of the oven! ELOD translation team presents author Tang Qi's 7th epilogue for The Pillow Book. We hope you get the joke because it is hilariously funny to the bones!!!    Source : @

Ok - for those wondering what Vengo said during his interview (I only translated up to this point. The rest was his message for his love rivals, which I won't go into, his appreciation to viewers for

The ELOD translation team have finally completed the English translation of Tang Qi's latest Pillow Book Epilogue. We hope you will enjoy the read! Shameless DH in action yet again!   S

5 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Feng Jiu is like a college aged young girl, it's probably why she is like this but then again nine tailed foxes do like to drink until they are totally intoxicated. Bai Qian was the same.

And anyone as excited as me about Chapter 7's release. Won't be too long, probably in a few days. I am working on all remaining chapters at the same time so I can get them all penned before I get back to work. Then they get thoroughly edited before they are posted one by one at different times!

@Romulan haven't seen you too much lately :). Busy?

True that! on the drinking.

Very excited for the next chapters! 

Sorta,  got the Covid shot, so that knocked me out for most of 1 day and alot of the other. I went to visit my grandmother in FL for the weekend, do some yardwork/house maintenance stuff,  and also  to take her to Thai temple for the Thai New Year celebration. (my sister came too)  Unfortunately its still very scaled back at the moment due to Co-Vid safety restrictions.  But I did get to try out some very delicious foods. Meet the temple cats, and participate in some of the stuff.  (i can share some photos if people are interested. Then drive back to GA. (its usually about an 8hr drive when I do it) and a very crazy and busy work week mixed with getting a dbl ear infection has sorta put me out of commission for most of this pass week. 

Also I got to learn my grandmother's Thai Watermelon soup recipe. (and we figured out how to make it vegan so that I could share it with my room-mate.) 

My grandmother has told me she wants me to be able to play The Untamed flute music when i visit in the summer.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

@Romulan Wow, it has been a full on week or two for you!

Take care and don't fall sick!

Better rest well after that 8 hour drive.

And wow the Thai Watermelon soup sounds good!

It would be really refreshing, yes?

That would be nice if you are to do that for your grandma!

Do you play the flute then?

I have played the piano and electone organ myself on a performance level in my teens.

Was in a scholarship programme with Yamaha Music School in my teens and still play leisurely now.

Artistic stuff is my forte :D. But I am a duff at things like mathematics. 

• Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

@Romulan Oh wow, it was a long drive, but pretty sure more than worth it! You must have had a good time with your sister and grandma. :) I'm quite curious with the watermelon soup, cos the fruit is in season here now. 

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

Chapter 7 will have a lot of notes to read as some of the idioms need further explanation. 

So take note of this.

It's a long chapter, and also the most rollercoaster of feelings chapter. Thanks in advance for the notes! It would be very helpful for understanding the meanings of Chinese idioms used in the story. 

50 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

@Romulan Oh wow, it was a long drive, but pretty sure more than worth it! You must have had a good time with your sister and grandma. :) I'm quite curious with the watermelon soup, cos the fruit is in season here now. 

It's a long chapter, and also the most rollercoaster of feelings chapter. Thanks in advance for the notes! It would be very helpful for understanding the meanings of Chinese idioms used in the story. 

There are a ton of idioms in Chapter 7 and some of the explanations are detailed as I have tried my best to explain exactly what they mean in plain english. Some I translated directly because it made some sense and used notes to explain more, others I had to translate to the correct english and then used notes to explain the idiom., especially if the idiom made no sense on direct translation. 

So it will be quite interesting for those of you out there who are trying to learn this rather difficult language. And some of them you apply the correct meaning in the correct context. 

That's what makes Chinese difficult, it could mean different things in different subtext.

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1
13 hours ago, Ninky said:

@Romulan Wow, it has been a full on week or two for you!

Take care and don't fall sick!

Better rest well after that 8 hour drive.

And wow the Thai Watermelon soup sounds good!

It would be really refreshing, yes?

That would be nice if you are to do that for your grandma!

Do you play the flute then?

I have played the piano and electone organ myself on a performance level in my teens.

Was in a scholarship programme with Yamaha Music School in my teens and still play leisurely now.

Artistic stuff is my forte :D. But I am a duff at things like mathematics. 

--Wow that takes alot of talent! I love seeing people who have that gift play. 

I last played the flute 21 years ago when i was in HS. I wasnt talented with it but was ok for HS band.  But for my grandmother Im willing to do it again. I actually got a jade open hole flute vs the modern flute I had used in HS.  My grandmother tossed me another wrinkle as she got me an vertical wooden flute with an odd mouthpiece to try (similar to the recorders but a bigger bulb-that one is actually the hardest.)

10 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

It is a bit of a drive but one Ive done alot over the years to see my grandparents. then last year to help my grandmother as my grandfather passed Dec 2019.

The watermelon soup uses both the red and white parts of the melon -the green piece is just peal or chopped off. . its a light soup that uses white onion,red onion,garlic, thai basil, thai peppers, black pepper, soy sauce. (optional extras are ready made chicken broth and fish sauce -but we didnt use either of those to keep it vegan).   Its a less of an exact measurements soup as you adjust a bit for taste. 

9 hours ago, Ninky said:

There are a ton of idioms in Chapter 7 and some of the explanations are detailed as I have tried my best to explain exactly what they mean in plain english. Some I translated directly because it made some sense and used notes to explain more, others I had to translate to the correct english and then used notes to explain the idiom., especially if the idiom made no sense on direct translation. 

So it will be quite interesting for those of you out there who are trying to learn this rather difficult language. And some of them you apply the correct meaning in the correct context. 

That's what makes Chinese difficult, it could mean different things in different subtext.

Woot! thank you the extra work too!  Are any of these idioms ok to use in common phrase or would they look out of context?  (i mightve wanted to call someone ice face recently..)

I did have a good time with my sister and grandmother.  My sister is the one immediately under me and lives in Orlando, Fl. I see her and my grandmother the most often.  So the trio (instead of former quad) of us can get into mischief of some sort now.  

Side question -anyone ever cut bamboo? --any tips are appreciated! there are 2 wild patches in my grandmother's neighborhood and Ive been asked to next time cut some down to turn into an outside bamboo hut/roof for the backyard.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
1 hour ago, Romulan said:

--Wow that takes alot of talent! I love seeing people who have that gift play. 

I last played the flute 21 years ago when i was in HS. I wasnt talented with it but was ok for HS band.  But for my grandmother Im willing to do it again. I actually got a jade open hole flute vs the modern flute I had used in HS.  My grandmother tossed me another wrinkle as she got me an vertical wooden flute with an odd mouthpiece to try (similar to the recorders but a bigger bulb-that one is actually the hardest.)

Very nice! Definitely play for your grandma. :D

It is a bit of a drive but one Ive done alot over the years to see my grandparents. then last year to help my grandmother as my grandfather passed Dec 2019.

Any drive to see your beloved grandparents is defnitely worth it! And I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing.

I also lost my grandfather in Dec 2019, and sadly my grandmother followed him very closely in January 2020. 

The watermelon soup uses both the red and white parts of the melon -the green piece is just peal or chopped off. . its a light soup that uses white onion,red onion,garlic, thai basil, thai peppers, black pepper, soy sauce. (optional extras are ready made chicken broth and fish sauce -but we didnt use either of those to keep it vegan).   Its a less of an exact measurements soup as you adjust a bit for taste. 

Interesting dish, actually! It is also pretty healthy. Btw I love thai food :D. I am a fan of spicy.

Woot! thank you the extra work too!  Are any of these idioms ok to use in common phrase or would they look out of context?  (i mightve wanted to call someone ice face recently..)

Some of them are commonly used in modern settings. You just need to know which ones to use at the right times :D

Ice face ROFL!

I did have a good time with my sister and grandmother.  My sister is the one immediately under me and lives in Orlando, Fl. I see her and my grandmother the most often.  So the trio (instead of former quad) of us can get into mischief of some sort now.  

Side question -anyone ever cut bamboo? --any tips are appreciated! there are 2 wild patches in my grandmother's neighborhood and Ive been asked to next time cut some down to turn into an outside bamboo hut/roof for the backyard.

Oh that is fun. You and your sister plus grandma! Mischief is always good on the occasion!

And yes about bamboo. My hubby uses a chainsaw as we have several plants that require regular pruning so it doesn't become a wild forest. I haven't seen in axe in use for ages. I have a lot of planted bamboo in my backyard. We have a full on tropical/semi temperate garden.

Oh and Chapter seven. What can I say?

I have laughed and I have cried while translating this chapter. 

I have felt the pain, sadness, sorrow and regret, but also sweetness, happiness, joy and humour. 

It's everything rolled into one.

Oh Tang Qi, why are you such a wonderful writer, and could pen such a masterpiece.

I hope I will do you justice in my translation!

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
8 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I have felt the pain, sadness, sorrow and regret, but also sweetness, happiness, joy and humour. 

Oh Tang Qi, why are you such a wonderful writer, and could pen such a masterpiece.

Their dreamy wedding attires, and that surreal wedding. Applause to TQ! 

:hooray2:

Gosh, if ever the PB extra is adapted to drama/movie, nothing should be changed for the wedding and battle scenes, especially DH's vows.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2
10 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Gosh, if ever the PB extra is adapted to drama/movie, nothing should be changed for the wedding and battle scenes, especially DH's vows.

For me, what touched me the most wasn't how beautiful their wedding attires were (they were impressive for sure and definitely more than made up for the previous botched attempt at it) but the emotions that the characters had gone through to get there.

It was a rollercoaster of emotions for Feng Jiu especially. Dong Hua said his vows strongly and clearly despite all the battlecries going in the background. He meant every word he said. The other significant thing was bringing down the parijata tree for her. It was the greatest symbol of his love for her.

This tree is a sign of joy, the joy of regrowth and of regeneration.

In the buddhist scripture, here is a short transcript of the poetic translation of the words from it's original sanskrit:

"When the leaves of the Trayastrimsa Heaven's parijata tree wither and yellow, the Trayastrimsa gods are delighted and rejoice, for it won't be long before the parijata tree's leaves will fall. 

Furthermore, once the leaves of the Trayastrimsa Heaven's parijata tree have fallen, the Trayastrimsa gods are delighted and rejoice, for it won't be long before the paraijata tree's leaves will grow back.

Furthermore, once the Trayatrimsa Heaven's parijata tree has grown a web, the Trayatrimsa gods are delighted and rejoice, for it won't be long before the parajata tree's buds will grow like bird beaks.

Furthermore, once the buds of the tree have opened like bowls, the Trayastrimsa gods are delighted and rejoice, for it won't be long before the parijata tree will be in full bloom.

When the tree is in full bloom, the light that it shines, the color that it reflects, and the fragrance that it produces have a range of a hundred leagues.  During the fourth month of summer, the gods entertain themselves with the five heavenly pleasures and the virtues with which they're endowed. This is called the festival under the Trayastrimsa Heaven's parijata tree."

With the tree, Dong Hua is telling her that she is the light of his life. Feng Jiu is still a young girl, she will grow and bloom continuously just like the tree. And that she will bring him joy, always and forever. 

This was probably why Tang Qi used this tree as the setting for their vows. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
1 hour ago, Ninky said:

Very nice! Definitely play for your grandma. :D

Any drive to see your beloved grandparents is defnitely worth it! And I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing.

I also lost my grandfather in Dec 2019, and sadly my grandmother followed him very closely in January 2020. 

Interesting dish, actually! It is also pretty healthy. Btw I love thai food :D. I am a fan of spicy.

Some of them are commonly used in modern settings. You just need to know which ones to use at the right times :D

Ice face ROFL!

Oh that is fun. You and your sister plus grandma! Mischief is always good on the occasion!

And yes about bamboo. My hubby uses a chainsaw as we have several plants that require regular pruning so it doesn't become a wild forest. I haven't seen in axe in use for ages. I have a lot of planted bamboo in my backyard. We have a full on tropical/semi temperate garden.

Im sorry to hear about your grandparents @Ninky. I was very worried I would loose my grandmother, after my grandfather died night after Xmas.  She took it really hard and then lockdowns didnt help.

I agree on the drives. When I was younger he would drive up from VA to see us in NY.   After he moved to FL, I did regular visits -lots of good memories, and photos to help keep the memories alive.

:) Im going to start practising saying some of the idioms. Then let ppl just wonder what Im saying (heh heh heh).

Re: Bamboo - chainsaw works? Thats good to know. My grandmother was offering me my grandfather's machete to use.  Though my sister was concerned that someone might call the cops if they saw me walking down the street with it in hand. (*whistling)

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

Im looking forward to seeing what you put down about it too!

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

I sorta wish Bai Gun Gun couldve seen it too. So that he could tell A'Li and the others about how they looked.

But I agree, we need to see the full effect of all of this! Fans have been waiting for it!  and while we had to miss out on most of the BQ and YH wedding due to real life things interfering , -all the more reason we should have this ceremony to its fullest!!! 

43 minutes ago, Ninky said:

For me, what touched me the most wasn't how beautiful their wedding attires were (they were impressive for sure and definitely more than made up for the previous botched attempt at it) but the emotions that the characters had gone through to get there.

It was a rollercoaster of emotions for Feng Jiu especially. Dong Hua said his vows strongly and clearly despite all the battlecries going in the background. He meant every word he said. The other significant thing was bringing down the parijata tree for her. It was the greatest symbol of his love for her.

This tree is a sign of joy, the joy of regrowth and of regeneration.

In the buddhist scripture, here is a short transcript of the poetic translation of the words from it's original sanskrit:

With the tree, Dong Hua is telling her that she is the light of his life. Feng Jiu is still a young girl, she will grow and bloom continuously just like the tree. And that she will bring him joy, always and forever. 

This was probably why Tang Qi used this tree as the setting for their vows. 

Indeed it was wonderful! Thank you for explaining the symbolism. I had just thought that it was a sign of how important he saw her that he was willing to move the sacred tree to the battlefield just so they could be under its boughs to say their vows.  But this 2nd symbolism is also wonderful!

I also love that he had her give the signal!  I just really really wish there was a way that someone could 'remember or retell it'

Could Dong Hua do that with the Waterfall Mirror?  (though after Zu Ti sees it, you can imagine Lian Song being expected to do something equivalent!).

Part of me wonders if any of the 200 dresses that DH had made look like the one that he finally had made for this event?   Anyone think that DH might have another set made after they get back to the present? 

When they returned, had the same amount of time passed in the 'present' or was it as if no time passed?  (Bai Qian will want all the details from her niece!)

Plus I would love to see Feng Jui tease Zhe Lan about some stuff she witnessed while in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

When they returned, had the same amount of time passed in the 'present' or was it as if no time passed?  (Bai Qian will want all the details from her niece!)

It should be around 449 days after at present time from when they went back to the past.

Goddess Zu Ti had consoled her by saying that fortunately this wasn’t a big matter, and based on the traces left behind by the lightwave that sent Gun Gun back to the past, she was able to calculate that Gun Gun would be able to return 449 days later. (PB Back to Chaos in a Dream, Ch5)

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

I would like to think that after they took they vows under the Parijata tree, it would be imprinted into their minds forever. They are not mortals like us, they can keep a memory for a very long time and they also have a very long time ahead to love and cherish each other. And I think the hurt has somewhat eased for Feng Jiu, based on what she'd told Fei Wei after the wedding. I feel that after this, they can move on and truly savour the love they have for each other.

Because it's true that no matter what, Di Jun is the best Di Jun she could ever have, in any time and at any age.

He will always love her, even if he is world's greatest hero. 

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 2
4 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I would like to think that after they took they vows under the Parijata tree, it would be imprinted into their minds forever. They are not mortals like us, they can keep a memory for a very long time and they also have a very long time ahead to love and cherish each other. And I think the hurt has somewhat eased for Feng Jiu, based on what she'd told Fei Wei after the wedding. I feel that after this, they can move on and truly savour the love they have for each other.

Because it's true that no matter what, Di Jun is the best Di Jun she could ever have, in any time and at any age.

He will always love her, even if he is world's greatest hero. 

On their minds yes. (which makes Di Jun going back worth it all. ) However, I meant everyone else forgot about it, but I wish others couldve remembered and told and recorded it.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1
4 hours ago, Romulan said:

On their minds yes. (which makes Di Jun going back worth it all. ) However, I meant everyone else forgot about it, but I wish others couldve remembered and told and recorded it.

Maybe the immortals in the past do not remember, to prevent what they learnt or encountered from persons from the future cause drastic changes to history. I think that's also how unique the time travel powers of Zu Ti is.

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

Translating kisses make me go "gaga" LOL!

So you can guess exactly where I am! LOL

Ehem, there'll be more than that next chapter! :lol:

×××××÷÷÷÷÷×××××

About Feng Jiu, some readers and viewers were giving her plenty of flak because she joined Dong Hua in the starlight ward without second thoughts, not giving consideration what would happen to BGG if she dies with Dijun.

I rather think the PB Back to Chaos shows that FJ is a very devoted and protective mother to her son. She did not hesitate to ask Zu Ti to help her follow BGG in the past, and she didn't even spare the time to inform DH or anyone in Tai Chen Palace where she's going because her focus was to be with her child as soon as possible.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
5 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Maybe the immortals in the past do not remember, to prevent what they learnt or encountered from persons from the future cause drastic changes to history. I think that's also how unique the time travel powers of Zu Ti is.

Ehem, there'll be more than that next chapter! :lol:

×××××÷÷÷÷÷×××××

About Feng Jiu, some readers and viewers were giving her plenty of flak because she joined Dong Hua in the starlight ward without second thoughts, not giving consideration what would happen to BGG if she dies with Dijun.

I rather think the PB Back to Chaos shows that FJ is a very devoted and protective mother to her son. She did not hesitate to ask Zu Ti to help her follow BGG in the past, and she didn't even spare the time to inform DH or anyone in Tai Chen Palace where she's going because her focus was to be with her child as soon as possible.

Don't worry I have translated love scenes before so I am ok with it. I'm pretty liberal minded. Someone didn't know that what she was doing was turning him on. LOL. Feng Jiu is quite versed in the art of not realising that she is seducing her man.

Actually both Bai Qian and her are totally maligned. Bai Qian was different, losing her eyes and falling into depression was the primary cause of her detachment to A-Li. But after she got back with Ye Hua, she put herself back together and became a good wife and mother.

As for Feng Jiu, she has always been a good wife and mother. From the outtakes and in the book, it was very clear that she takes care of both her son and her beloved Husband Lord. And yes, she did what every mother would have done in the outtake, run after the kid first, the husband being the close second. I mean you are right, she begged Zu Ti to send her back even without informing Di Jun or anyone else. Lian Song had to inform Di Jun after the fact...  

For the storyline in the book, she knew that Xie Gu Chou will take the boy back to Qing Qiu should anything happen to her. That's why I think she had already made her emergency plans anyway. She wouldn't be able to live on without Dong Hua anyway, so the point people make would be totally moot. 

P.S on the wedding scene now OMG. Dong Hua is trying make up for that botched wedding ceremony a million times over. That Wedding Robe!!!!

• Love 2
  • Insightful 1
3 hours ago, Ninky said:

P.S on the wedding scene now OMG. Dong Hua is trying make up for that botched wedding ceremony a million times over. That Wedding Robe!!!!

Dong Hua knows his haute couture. :lol: And the classic blue wedding dress in the drama was the Pantone colour of the year for 2020.

Though Pinterest have lovely crowns and tiaras that may be what the tree gave for FJ, I don't see much purple Chinese wedding finery.

:sad1:

Unsurprisingly, collectible dolls in hanfu might have something equal to their grand wedding robes, except that it would be in wrong colours.

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, Ninky said:

Don't worry I have translated love scenes before so I am ok with it. I'm pretty liberal minded. Someone didn't know that what she was doing was turning him on. LOL. Feng Jiu is quite versed in the art of not realising that she is seducing her man.

Actually both Bai Qian and her are totally maligned. Bai Qian was different, losing her eyes and falling into depression was the primary cause of her detachment to A-Li. But after she got back with Ye Hua, she put herself back together and became a good wife and mother.

As for Feng Jiu, she has always been a good wife and mother. From the outtakes and in the book, it was very clear that she takes care of both her son and her beloved Husband Lord. And yes, she did what every mother would have done in the outtake, run after the kid first, the husband being the close second. I mean you are right, she begged Zu Ti to send her back even without informing Di Jun or anyone else. Lian Song had to inform Di Jun after the fact...  

For the storyline in the book, she knew that Xie Gu Chou will take the boy back to Qing Qiu should anything happen to her. That's why I think she had already made her emergency plans anyway. She wouldn't be able to live on without Dong Hua anyway, so the point people make would be totally moot. 

I agree.  Bai Qian was also able to look at big picture which when she got her memories unlocked from being Su-Su at the end of her trial she was still mentally wounded.  Revealing everything to the 2 clans at that time would've caused major problems. Celestials wouldnt have wanted to give up A'Li if the Fox Clan demanded him to be given back to Bai Qian (and trial or not seeing their daughter in that state I could see easily seeing the Fox King and Queen wanting to break off the engagement right then.  That could easily have lead to war between the clans -BQ knew that. So she chose to forget to protect her people and she knew A'Li would be well taken care of. (similar to her reasoning of handing over YH's body) . I think too that she didnt have time to look at the Su-Su memories from an outside perspective yet.

Re: Feng Jiu, she knew that if ML had been released that it wouldve wrecked the world for BGG, while if she died helping DH defeat ML, BGG wouldve been well taken care of by all of the Fox Clan and the world still good for him to live in. A parent will die for their child, that is a sign of good love.   (though this makes me a bit worried on what will be FJ's type of High Goddess trial after everything she has already been thru!) and unlike the HI trial, DH wont be able to stand in for her for the HG trial.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Dong Hua knows his haute couture. :lol: And the classic blue wedding dress in the drama was the Pantone colour of the year for 2020.

Though Pinterest have lovely crowns and tiaras that may be what the tree gave for FJ, I don't see much purple Chinese wedding finery.

:sad1:

Unsurprisingly, collectible dolls in hanfu might have something equal to their grand wedding robes, except that it would be in wrong colours.

What dolls are these?