[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

jaiwook_08

YAY!!! ... less than a day left to our favorite couple. :wub:

And loads of skinship in store. :lol:

This drama is so bringing many Soompiers who have been in hiberation (even if watching some dramas -  NOT all are worth the bother of commenting on these days, or fighting with the Twilight Zone tech mysteries of Soompi  (at least for me - 3rd or 4th account since 2000s).

Woohop, all set up with Soompi account #3 or #4 now ... and totally enjoying the Pretty Noona ride!

THANKS everyone - helpful souls with videos and Chinese subbing sources ...  fun comments to read .... and gorgeous eye-candy with all the new stills and videos. And as always - for all the translations!   :heart:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@luvhollandlop I agree about what you says about age is not really the issue here. I think problems will appear not only because of their families.

Although there's not a 'love triangle' here (which makes me happy), I think the other boy and the other girl haven't said their last word: her exboyfriend, her workmate (the one who is interested about JH), maybe another romantic interests could appear...But I hope our couple is strong and be together (but not boring, I really want some drama).

I have found a little better picture from tonight? episode. They look completely happy :wub:.20180413_085219000.jpg

dears, I uploaded english translation for this drama in subscene with ID suga_buin, hope you enjoy the translation. 

I'm translating those from DSS Indonesia bahasa translation, but I make changes in few conversation so it can fit to it. 

Hope you guys enjoy it and please send me feed back to improve translation for next episodes. 

Guest 999hearts

@stroppyse thank you for adding the things lacking on my translation a few days ago :D I'm still not confident with my Korean so I don't translate much. But I try to help out so everyone can enjoy Pretty Noona together

---

Happy Pretty Noona Day!!!

AAAAHHHHH I'm so excited for this drama that I had to get out of my cave after more than a year of drama-dropping!!! JA & JH are so cute I couldn't care less about the age gap between them!!! *SQUEALLLL* :wub::wub::wub:

After watching four episodes of Pretty Noona numerous times (raw, engsub, idsub, the obsession is so real I obviously need help), here are some thoughts I acquired throughout the week:

• I'm still a bit taken aback by the amount of details that are usually overlooked in dramas: the multiple wear of coats, JA bringing a pair of sneakers to work(!!!), JA packing *actual* things into her work bag: work ID, charging cable, notebook, sneakers, as well as filler scenes of other characters doing their own thing. I honestly don't mind that each episode lasts about 1.5 hours. Props to everyone working hard on this drama!
  • Some of the sequence of actions are simple but very intricate like when JA is at the park: she's on the phone with YE, she hangs up, takes off her earphones, puts them into her bag, takes out her lunch, eats before getting interrupted by another call, wipes off her food, and so on. Maybe that's why I see some people complaining that Pretty Noona is slow? I don't think it's slow at all. It's somewhat calming. Having a busy life does this to me hahaha
  • I want to see a flashback to confirm my suspicion that JH has always had a little crush on JA. Maybe back then it was more like a dongsaeng's admiration towards his noona. Like JH said in ep 4, after all, "What kind of person who doesn't have a past?" Moreover, I wanna know who these Se Mi, So Jung, and those other girls in JH's life are and why do people around JH keep saying that he's a player???? I NEED TO KNOW JH'S PAST AND I DON'T KNOW WHY
  • Another thing I love: how JA & JH casually talk to each other in banmal and how fast JH is accustomed to JA & KS's Joseonmal antics. There is something about their closeness that I don't think is common in Korea (CMIIW) but fits all the requirements I want in a relationship. Them talking in banmal represents same-age closeness and years of friendship. It's one of the reasons why their transition to a romantic relationship is believable and more relatable to me.
  • Possible plots I can think of right now: JA's resignation, more psycho GM, more family drama, SY pursuing JH with KS's support, the return of JH & KS's dad, maybe a little angst here and there lol

It's too early to tell where Pretty Noona is going but I hope the PD and writer have a clear direction :)

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

==== >

The age difference is not the same as in Witch's Romance where there was a 13-14 year gap between the man and the woman, I believe. However, that drama was played as a comedy, and while the OTP were cute onscreen, there was no shipping of the OTP pair by knetz. It simply wasn't considered a realistic pairing. In this drama, I think they are going for some verisimilitude, so I think they're going to have to tackle the age difference head on, along with the ramifications from their society.

I do agree that it will be more than the age difference that the OTP will have to work through, so they had better love each other very, very much in order to make all the angst that they are about to face and to cause worth it. :)

Seriously,  13-14 years? in Witch's Romance? Whoa! ( Didn't realize or forgot - actually got it mixed up with Witch's Court)

I enjoyed Witch's Romance.  And also enjoyed Witch's Court too - another noona-dongseang and was nice to have an intelligent strong leading lady who stood for no nonsense and kicked ar*e. I so was shipping the couple, as were folks elsewhere in other forums - Dramabeans, and a couple of others ... with folks writing that they wished a little more couple moments were given to them.

Another show where it was Noona-Dongsaeng is Still Marry Me aka The Woman Who Still Wanted to Marry (Kim Bum, Park Jin-hee etc). Think he was something like 24 or 25 to her 35? 36 - significantly 9-10 yrs or so apart. The chronological age expectation issues of settling down, wanting a baby etc were very valid for her.  While he was still feeling his way around and exploring, a combination of early maturity combined with the impetuous impulsiveness of Youth ... and  adamant he was totally in love with her. His single mom was very against the relationship too, although ironically she ended up herself with a younger guy (Park Jin-hee's ex) herself.

I wasn't quite convinced with that drama's ending ... it was a more 'go with the flow' kinda resolution after a seperation.

While yes, unconventional age differences - while quite taboo in traditional patriarchal Korea ... but yet are becoming a little more common in Korean showbiz and accepted since the time of What's Up Fox days .... where it seemed to me like a wayyy bigger deal.

Offhand:

- Park Jin-hee herself, is married to a guy 5 years younger in real life. He was a lawyer, and now a judge - they already have 2 kids.

-  Baek Ji-young is married to Jung Suk-won, 9 yrs younger her junior

-  And of course more recently the adorably beautiful and so in love Song-Song couple. 

@ 999hearts:

Totally! So nodding to your wish to KNOW exactly that he was crushing on her since ... whenever. The bzbody voyeur in me wants to know how he survived for 3 yrs in US without his Noona nearby or being able to see her;  as she was obviously someone this puppydog had missed very dearly ... and was so happy to look up and spend ALL his time with,  when he returned.  His radar is so totally tuned to everything JA - anytime his sister mentions JA -   his ears pricks up, and he reacts - whether to laugh, be concerned or mad and jealous :wub:

Rather than bet how many kisses till the end of the drama. we should do it by episodes or week.

You get the bet rolling I will jump in gladly, @triplem there definitely needs to be some reward and punishment :tongue:

4 hours ago, dulcinea1 said:

I'm super excited!!! So much love in today episode :wub:. We have been waiting for a week, only a few more hours...(I hope this pictures are from today episode, but maybe they are from tomorrow one)

oh my oh my, thanks for the still.

giphy.gif

haha i have to say I am really happy that @bebebisous33 @stroppyse and @triplem are here, its like we have a super team. :tongue:

Same, I too was waiting for the subs but it took awhile to get here.

Though I dont think age is going to be a huge issue. Since afterall they have been friends JH's sister and JA, there will be some friction because I mean they did hide it plus like you said, the mother has specific ideas of what she wants in a son-in-law.

That is true, KSY seems to be rather destructive towards JA, the rather scary thing is that she hides behind a smile and all that. Goodness knows she will be plotting something.

I get why she becomes one, true like you said there the people around here, but also I mean I think she is someone who doesnt want confrontation and all that drama that goes with it. She just goes along just to make sure she has some peace.

13 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I agree with you. The age gap is not so big like in "What's up Fox". I see the difficulties will be the acceptance from both families. I don't think that JH's sister will accept it so easily, especially after getting to know JA's colleague, KSY. The latter will manipulate her in my opinion. Besides JH and JA hid it from her first.

Then the mother has such expectations that she won't accept JH as he doesn't fit the profile. The mother wants to brag about her son-in-law (family, finances, social status aso).

I do think that the colleague KSY will try to disturb JA's work as well. KSY has always been selfish and made sure to tarnish JA's reputation. She was the one who somehow gave JA's nickname for her bad reputation. KSY has always used people and so far, JA has always been nice towards her. She helped her many times... I am expecting a confrontation.

On the other hand, I believe that her co-worker LYE will support her. Since both LYE and SC had a similar interaction with the OTP, interrupting the sweet scene between JA and JH (drunk and saying that they love them), I have the feeling that SC and YE could end up together. Right now, SC is focused on KSY but he doesn't know her true character. He hasn't realized that she is not interested in him at all. She just used him in order to get close to JH. Once he gets aware that she is meddling in JH's love life, I am sure that he will be hurt and choose JH's side.  

About the marriage: This could be a problem but to me, it doesn't look like one here right now because JA is not even thinking about marriage. Notice that even with LKM, she wasn't even talking and thinking about marriage. It was only her mother pushing for it.  

@kaoriharang I wanted to watch it but since there were no subtitles... I had dropped it. So when the episodes were subtitled, I started immediately. I really love the cinematography and the characters.

Actually, if JA has become a doormat, it is because of her surroundings. Her mother kept telling her how good KM was and kept criticising her daughter for her temper, for her situation aso. She made sure that JA started losing confidence and KM had a similar behaviour. No wonder, if JA had become so passive. Meeting JH was a good thing because he met her feel good and special. JA realized that she wasn't so bad, rather that KM was the one who turned her into a doll and puppet. 

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I think you’ve confused Witch’s Court and Witch’s Romance. :)  

I DID - realized that after the fact, and edited.  :lol:Enjoyed BOTH dramas too, though not in a head over heels kinda way.

Was like seriously ... they didn't seem 13-14 yrs apart? With the wrong drama in mind.  Actually neither did they in Witch's Romance. Seemed maybe 9-10 yrs apart ....  but wow 13- 14 = timing, is yes quite off then, in life expectations and stages of life. 

As for noona romances, I’m definitely not saying that they don’t exist. They do. Just that they are still not seen as the norm. It may be that the entertainment business is a front runner in this trend as older women are still seen as desirable since so many actresses are attractive, talented, and beautiful even as they age. But even in the entertainment world, having the women be the older of the pair, especially by any significant years is not considered the norm. And it starts with the women themselves who find it harder to accept having a younger boyfriend/husband.

Yes definitely less conventional. But just saying compared to What's Up Fox Days ... it's just seems LESS of a huge deal in 2018.  Esp when it's only 5 years.

in America, it’s called being a cougar, I guess, when a woman has younger partners, with a number of women not liking that concept either. *shrug*  And America is a much bigger country with a much bigger range of accepted pairings than the as-yet relatively conservative society in Korea.

"Cougar" I think refers to a HUGE age gap type (more like Witch's Romance age gap) - where lady is could be akin (age wise) to being his mom ... less of an insignificant 5 yr age. Can you imagine gorgeous SHG being called a cougar? to her baby faced husband?  :lol:

Speaking of more Noona-Dongsaeng romance ... wasn't Ha Ji-won also older than Hyun-bin in Secret Garden? Or he was just emotionally stunted?

Subb for ep 4 is out. You can watch it

Spoiler

Anyway I am new here but is crazy about this drama...does this thread do the live recap for tonight? I like to join. Or do you have any live stream for me to watch?

@stroppyse @kaoriharang JA and the question of marriage:

For instance, if GM had proposed to JA instead of cheating on her, JA probably would have married him. In a way, JH is right that JA got lucky that GM made such a big mistake. 

You are right to point out that but let us not forget that JH has been misjudging JA-KM's relationship from the start. JH thought and has been told that JA was very passionate with KM. First, he heard that KM broke up with JA because he described her as "Konjac" and JA was devastated. He thought that her pain was connected to her love for KM, yet in my opinion he was not right. JA was feeling down as another person was criticising her again. 

From my point of view, the moment JA started dating KM, her mother's comparisons and reproachs increased. KM let her feel inferior. As time passed on, JA started losing confidence... hence the break-up didn't really surprised her. That's why I believe that the relationship was getting nowhere and JA knew it. JA knew that something was coming hence SK supported her over the phone. JA was feeling burdened all the time with KM. Notice how she bought a dress and shoes in order to make a good impression but deep down, she was anxious and anticipating some bad news. That's why she never mentioned marriage... her mother and KM had made her feel insecure and unworthy. She didn't feel the need to marry him. Yes, if he had proposed, she might have agreed but not because of love or her wish to get married. 

As for JH, his anger, jealousy and frustration towards KM reveal his own insecurity. Since he has a false conception of JA-KM's relationship, JH is scared that JA might go back to KM. For JH, KM only made one mistake (and now two mistakes). But the relationship between KM and JA was not good at all even before the break-up. It had a negative impact on JA. In my opinion, deep down JH also knows that he has less to offer than KM (family, social status aso) and their relationship will encounter more hardships. On the other hand, JH is definitely more mature than KM in the end. KM acts like a spoiled child. He only chose JA because the other left him and someone showed an interest in JA. That's not love at all. He actually looks down on JA and her family. Despite his cheerful teasing, JH is much more mature and level-headed than KM as he had to grow up faster due to their family situation. His insecurities about how to confess indicate that he was really serious about JA. He knew that once he starts dating her, it can not have the same meaning than dating a younger girl. Marriage is in perspective for JA... and for me, JH is well aware of that. He was happy to hear the comment of JA's father which gives us a clue that he already has the intention to marry her. 

38 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@stroppyse @kaoriharang JA and the question of marriage:

You are right to point out that but let us not forget that JH has been misjudging JA-KM's relationship from the start. JH thought and has been told that JA was very passionate with KM. First, he heard that KM broke up with JA because he described her as "Konjac" and JA was devastated. He thought that her pain was connected to her love for KM, yet in my opinion he was not right. JA was feeling down as another person was criticising her again. 

From my point of view, the moment JA started dating KM, her mother's comparisons and reproachs increased. KM let her feel inferior. As time passed on, JA started losing confidence... hence the break-up didn't really surprised her. That's why I believe that the relationship was getting nowhere and JA knew it. JA knew that something was coming hence SK supported her over the phone. JA was feeling burdened all the time with KM. Notice how she bought a dress and shoes in order to make a good impression but deep down, she was anxious and anticipating some bad news. That's why she never mentioned marriage... her mother and KM had made her feel insecure and unworthy. She didn't feel the need to marry him. Yes, if he had proposed, she might have agreed but not because of love or her wish to get married. 

As for JH, his anger, jealousy and frustration towards KM reveal his own insecurity. Since he has a false conception of JA-KM's relationship, JH is scared that JA might go back to KM. For JH, KM only made one mistake (and now two mistakes). But the relationship between KM and JA was not good at all even before the break-up. It had a negative impact on JA. In my opinion, deep down JH also knows that he has less to offer than KM (family, social status aso) and their relationship will encounter more hardships. On the other hand, JH is definitely more mature than KM in the end. KM acts like a spoiled child. He only chose JA because the other left him and someone showed an interest in JA. That's not love at all. He actually looks down on JA and her family. Despite his cheerful teasing, JH is much more mature and level-headed than KM as he had to grow up faster due to their family situation. His insecurities about how to confess indicate that he was really serious about JA. He knew that once he starts dating her, it can not have the same meaning than dating a younger girl. Marriage is in perspective for JA... and for me, JH is well aware of that. He was happy to hear the comment of JA's father which gives us a clue that he already has the intention to marry her. 

you made a good point chingu about KM and JA's relationship.

KM and her mother really put her down all the time that eventually that relationship was going to snap regardless of whether or not JH was in the picture.

Sadly JA did not put her foot hard enough which was why she got all this drama. Plus the fact that her mom chose not to listen to her.

I think it is normally for JH to think of marriage rather early on. I mean he isnt that young that marriage is not in this immediate future. So the whole idea of JA-JH's relationship was rather levelled? They started a little but on the wrong foot but quickly took care of them when they confirmed each other's feelings for each other quickly and straight forward.

For once, there is not much beating around the bush. JA may have struggled a bit with her feelings towards JH, nothing wrong with that.  But the attraction was there from the start. Thats why I was so pleased that it was JA that took JH's head first, she needed to make the move. JH was still in a grey zone as to how JA felt about him.

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

@jus-ash In real life, HJW is a few years older than HB, but not sure age was a factor at all in SeGa. 

I’ve heard cougar used to refer to anything more than a few of year’s age difference. I’ve been told that a woman isn’t if they could have been at college together, but anything more than that is one. But this isn’t my definition by any means. Nor is it a term I use.

Changing topics a bit, looking at all the stills makes me happy to be watching an adult romance rather than too-young leads with chasre near-kisses or some weird alternate world where the OTP has to be untested virgins despite being in their 30’s. :D 

I know that when it comes to age, the idea of noona-young man is not uncommon in Korea. But overall age is always a factor for women especially. sorry to do a general sterotype.

haha that is true, well this is an adult romance so we should see more you know better kisses :tongue:

Ops ops sorray @Jusyedi dun have any link to watch live.

*whisper* me juz a lurker here. :grimace: was juz flying past :tongue:

x9U04SH.jpg

Ok chill i m sure u will enjoy this thread coz i see alot of nice chingus here too ...heee

Cto

@stroppyse I don't see any disagreement between your post and mine. I know that JA was in love with KM in the past but the passion disappeared as KM never took care of JA. In my opinion, he always made her feel inferior which changed the dynamic in the couple. JA allowed him too many things. When JH appeared, JA had already stopped loving KM and was just with him because they had been together for so long. That's why I wrote that JH had a false conception of JA-KM's relationship. They had already reached a dead-end, yet JH misunderstood JA's clothing at the dinner. Actually, she wanted to insult KM but JH thought, JA was dressed up in order to impress him. 

JA was in pain because KM made her feel that she was the reason for the break-up. He blamed her which is quite harsh as he was the one who was cheating on her. KM has never protected her from her harassing superiors too. He never intervened, while JH pays attention to her workplace and her well-being. KM had always been self-centered in the end.

Archived