[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

jaiwook_08

On 4/8/2018 at 3:28 PM, stroppyse said:

It's some of these little scenes that I've translated in this post that give the drama so many feels for me, making it seem like a realistic relationship, albeit between two impossibly beautiful people. I hope official subs are available soon, or at least good subs. Then again, sometimes, the official subs don't really do a drama justice either. I think I must really like this drama to put this much effort into explaining some of the scenes and little bits that I like. :)

This drama is making me come out of the woodwork again.

@stroppyse I have to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for your translations and especially the explanation notes. While my Korean is fairly basic, it was enough to understand most of what was happening while watching it RAW (all that effort learning korean formally for 2 years came to good use!). Reading your translations and the live recaps on bah-doo helps fill in the blanks.

I'm a big fan of PD Ahn's work since Secret Love Affair. He pays attention to all the details that we don't get in just any regular drama. Someone mentioned this earlier: that the characters actually re-wear the same coats - HALLELUJAH to this - because it is an accurate reflection of the characters' financial situation. Coats are expensive and your average middle-income earner is unlikely to have the money to buy enough coats and outfits to wear one per different scene location! 

The show is shot and directed beautifully. I remember saying this too about Temperature of Love before the writing went awry in the 2nd half. However, I have alot of faith in Ahn PD's drama - don't let me down! :wub:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you very much for the subs @subbing in the rain team. I had downloaded it but was watching it on a streaming site. Saw that the subs have changed to the team's subs. Just 3 min in and the absolute relief at actually seeing translations is beyond belief. Lol. And now drama watching feels normal again. It was hard paying attention during the raw episodes.

Thanks again. But geez whiz can't believe we still don't have an official broadcaster.

@triplem too late. It's on the main torrent sub site. They always credit the team but the streaming site using it won't. Unless it is subbed onto the episode. News got round fast.

I basically spent the whole time cooing at the main leads. I still can't believe we actually have such a great  OTP. The visuals are so good.

45 minutes ago, Anne Hoang said:

I’m in love with this drama!

am I the only one who thinks this drama and What’s up Fox are pretty similar???

Hi there! It reminded me of What’s Up Fox too. It took me a while to warm up to the OTP there. But here, almost instantaneously. SYJ does not look like a Noona at all! And JHI - (*sighs) Life is just not fair (*sighs*)

14 minutes ago, lc85 said:

Hi there! It reminded me of What’s Up Fox too. It took me a while to warm up to the OTP there. But here, almost instantaneously. SYJ does not look like a Noona at all! And JHI - (*sighs) Life is just not fair (*sighs*)

Same here. It took me awhile to like the OTP there. their chemistry is not as sizzling as this OTP. I’ve been following SYJs work since A moment to Remember movie. As for JHI-you can’t help but in love with his character. He’s charming!!! 

For everyone who is discovering Son Yejin for the first time through this drama, I highly recommend to watch "The Classic" and "A Moment to Remember", you will see how she transitions from a young girl to the current "her" as a noona. One thing for sure, she is definitely queen of romance! I think Jung Haein is very very lucky to land this role for his first lead role in drama, it's just very few chances of Son Yejin taking drama roles. 

Also, this drama is making me miss the feeling of falling in love... -_- 

YES, I see the similarity to What's Up Fox:)

BUT there it stops -  I am also biased (sorry!)

NO way are these gorgeous visuals, feels and vibe the same for me re: Ko Hyun-jung and Chung Jung-myung; nor  the same attraction Pretty Noona has,  for me.

The beautiful adorable OTP here (I didn't have the same magical feels for WUF) , as well as the overall mood of the drama = this one was an INSTANT attraction, as was Temp of Love and On The Way to Airport for me.

That combination of Contemporary + Vintage is very nicely done here, including the music.

To  an earlier comment who said they preferred the Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food over Something in The Rain ... YES! Totally agree (so much more in keeping with character ... though that Something In The Rain prob comes about from that romantic night walking endlessly under Da RED UMBRELLA!  The same one in the playground she didn't throw away ...  and that next lead to a movie night .... woo hoo! :) )

Classic was a huge favorite of one of my drama chingus in the early 2000s. And a first intro to Sohn Ye jin or  maybe it was Lover's Concerto for me.

Though it was really A Moment to Remember = totally this one!  where it made me sit up and take notice of Sohn Ye-jin beyond the frail and pretty.  A movie which showed she was capable of wayyyy more. A couple of rewatches of AMTR for me ...  beautiful movie

April Snow and The Art of Seduction were other enjoyable watches I recall  ... don't think I caught many of her later movies.  And NOT a huge fan of her dramas - Personal Taste, Summer Scent etc - ok, but nothing remarkable. I actually preferred Shark

1 hour ago, luvhollandlop said:

I’ve said this before... I’m so glad PD nim has decided to use brighter lights and more upfront angles in shooting the couple’s interactions... here’s something to look forward to Friday.

I can't take this anymore!! They are so sweet together!!! :wub:

34 minutes ago, flowerroad1405 said:

I can't take this anymore!! They are so sweet together!!! :wub:

Sorry i'm new here :blush:

3 hours ago, 122am said:

For everyone who is discovering Son Yejin for the first time through this drama, I highly recommend to watch "The Classic" and "A Moment to Remember", you will see how she transitions from a young girl to the current "her" as a noona. One thing for sure, she is definitely queen of romance! I think Jung Haein is very very lucky to land this role for his first lead role in drama, it's just very few chances of Son Yejin taking drama roles. 

Also, this drama is making me miss the feeling of falling in love... -_- 

2 hours ago, jus-ash said:

The beautiful adorable OTP here (I didn't have the same magical feels) , as well as the overall mood of the drama = this one was an INSTANT attraction, as was Temp of Love and On The Way to Airport for me.

April Snow and The Art of Seduction were another enjoyable watches I recall  ... don't think I caught many of her later movies. And NOT a huge fan of her dramas - Personal Taste, Summer Scent etc - ok, but nothing remarkable.

I also loved SYJ in 'April Snow'! Had a hot intimate scene, too, as I recall, sensitively filmed.  And I think the writer of 'April Snow' also wrote 'On the Way to the Airport'?  (which I also loved)

Love SYJ and JHI as our OTP, too!  So sweet, so right for each other.

2 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Her mom is such a awful person,already sick of her.

She is a typical kdrama mom. She won't accept JH because he is young and his family and that's the worst because she was saying there were family in episode 4.

The worst part is that I believe that in korea, it's not strange at all. I think that if they keep showing us that kind of mother, it must mean that they still exict and are many.

In occident, for us, a younger guy is not a problem and they are not even that mutch apart (I watch many kdrama with the man being more than 10 years older than the woman and nobody said anything about it).

The main leads are fantastic together but will acknowledge that the directing and writing feels right too. The directing and scene transition feels smooth. Plus the actors- the whole cast- can act. So I am not taken away from the moment. 

The writing feels natural or rather the conversation feels as if it is realistic. The relationship between JH and the sister feels loving yet also has the nagging sister vibe.

I won't comment on the main leads but just wanted to say that I hope the yucky work environment improves. It makes me uneasy with all the sexist undertones. Some of you have read my previous posts on other dramas. My department has some pretty hard drinking people in it. And our dept parties or some of them a bit overboard. Reminds me of the time one of the male colleagues went up and kissed another female colleague and had to be dragged away by the other males. Sigh. Don't know how Korean females work like that. I realise not all work environment are supportive. But those of you who are in one are lucky. Work is about the only place where I have people just swear expletives at me during a conversation. And I have to smile and just pretend it's ok. Where else I don't ever use the F word in my private life.

So yeah that's why I am commenting on the directing and writing. And not the main couple. Because those 2 are so good together. Can SYJ adopt him as a permanent dongsaeng?  I sometimes feel like Korean girls are culturally subconsciously trained to behave a certain way based on relationships such as being a noona or yeemo. Although my kids are young they have noonas vs yeemo. And man the noonas even though young just BEHAVE like a noona. Or if I call a what- should- be - a- yeemo a yeemo they are happier being a noona.  That's why the whole drama title made me laugh. A lot. And this whole oppa business when JH is an oppa vs a dongsaeng to another female just amuses me. Each time it happens because I am more sensitive to it. Because of the title. I swear the number of girls who ask if they are a pretty noona.

Hi everyone! It’s been a reallllly long time since I last post something in soompi. But this drama is just too cute I can’t help myself. I’m such a sucker for noona-romance done well. Anyway I was lurking over at dcgall and found this some sort of snippets from the script (I think it’ll probably come out in the next episode) but do take it with a grain of salts. ㅎㅎ 

318_E17_A9_6504_44_E5_B65_A_E18_E971_BF9

Trans: # square in front of office/ late afternoon/ at dusk

Jh: I was coming out of the office riding my bike when I saw this woman walking. Weirdly  I got really curious.

JA: aigoo, of course no wonder.

JH: no, it’s not like that. I was going to just glance at her once and leave but she’s really pretty. The moment I thought ‘Wah, she’s looking fiine’ ... oh? Yoon Jin ah? I realised it was you

JA: so? Did you get disappointed?

JH: I was surprised ofc. ‘Is she really the YJA I knew? Was she always this pretty..’

JA: I bet u did 

JH: Really. I was really surprised.

51 minutes ago, fuwafuwa_143 said:

Hi everyone! It’s been a reallllly long time since I last post something in soompi. But this drama is just too cute I can’t help myself. I’m such a sucker for noona-romance done well. Anyway I was lurking over at dcgall and found this some sort of snippets from the script (I think it’ll probably come out in the next episode) but do take it with a grain of salts. ㅎㅎ 

Reveal hidden contents

Trans: # square in front of office/ late afternoon/ at dusk

Jh: I was coming out of the office riding my bike when I saw this woman walking. Weirdly  I got really curious.

JA: aigoo, of course no wonder.

JH: no, it’s not like that. I was going to just glance at her once and leave but she’s really pretty. The moment I thought ‘Wah, she’s looking fiine’ ... oh? Yoon Jin ah? I realised it was you

JA: so? Did you get disappointed?

JH: I was surprised ofc. ‘Is she really the YJA I knew? Was she always this pretty..’

JA: I bet u did 

JH: Really. I was really surprised.

Most of that conversation is already in the 2nd teaser so I guess they’re gonna have the conversation soon.

Archived