[Drama 2018] Should We Kiss First?, 키스 먼저 할까요

0ly40

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good be be back in forum.  I've got a week of spring breaking coming up [So needed.  Work has been kicking my butt and swallowing my time] and I think I'll be sending some of that time here.  Slightly disappointed that we only have six pages on this drama, but also somewhat glad.  My last few dramas accumulated post so frequently that I couldn't keep up and had to quit. Another reason I was off was that few dramas held my attention and even if they did, they didn't made me feel the need to post. [Enjoying Radio Romance now and watching is enough.] Add to all the factors t

Should We Kiss First is a weird thing all of it very own.

It is a quirky romantic comedy [Mi-Ra's life philosophy and Soon-Jin voice overs take it out of the range of standard rom-com].

It that were all it was it would be entertaining enough.

But in truth it seems to be a quirky romantic-comedy set atop a devastating tear jerker-mystery. Sometimes the tonal shift is strange but I find myself going with the story and eager to meet up with the drama when it stops by for it's two day visit.

Kim SunAh's, as Kim Sam Soon, made me a kdrama convert.  I'm always eager to see her work.  Even though I recognize some of her performance quirks in her work here, I happy to be in her company again. 

This is my first Kang Woo Sung drama.  I am enjoying the fullness of his low-key performance.

Oh Ji-Ho and Kam Sung-Su are handsome.  I've never watched a Oh Ji-Ho drama, even when I'd been aware of them. Saw Kam Sung-Su in My Love, Madame Butterfly; I got tired of hearing people shout Na-Bi time and again.

I have never responded to Park Si-Yeon's acting before and have always disliked every character I've seen her play.  I actually don't think I've finished any of her dramas, and if I watch I always root for any character but hers.  That being said, I dislike Ji-Min's sense of entitlement and violence and think she needs a therapist post-haste. I also recognize that Park Si-Yeon is really killing the role.  Her break from work might have been good for her acting. 

I'm sure I'm missing some plot points because my system is streaming so slowly and halting like crazy; I'm convinced that hackers are mining Bitcoins in the background. I've lost access to so many good streaming sites that at times I just feel like giving up.

The structure of Should We Kiss First is interesting. There is the present time rom-com (with twinges of tragedy), and the melodrama from the past that is being played out in Moo-Han's memory.

Questions about the melo

1) What are the circumstances of Ji-Ho and Soon-Jin's daughter's death?`

2) Why does Soon-Jin's mother blame herself?

3) What was Soon-Jin's relationship to Ji-Min's family before Ji-Min's affair with her husband.

4) What lawsuit? The circumstances of Soon-Jin's record.  Whose house did she break into and vandalize.

5) Why is Ji-Min such a gangster.  Will she grow up.  Will she ever be able to see the world from a perspective other than her own.

A question I have for all American soap operas and several K-dramas: Why do you let crazy enemies into your home? Why do you pick up calls from your enemies, interrupt your day, and go to meet them? Maybe you can't keep them out of you office if you and them work there together, but why meet them? Why let them into your home. Why don't you slap people back? If slapping is against your principles, why don't you press charges.

I almost had to go get an ice pack for my head to keep from exploding when Ji-Min went into Soon-Jin's apartment and started breaking things.  Time after time people keep telling Soon-Jin she needs to arrange her life so that others can live easier required another ice-pack.

Kyung-Soo trying to work off his guilt towards Soon-Jin without paying attention to what she wants is the opposite of kindness; it is selfishness. If he feels bad, he should try to make amends.  If his effort is rejected he should go live with his guilt with his wife the boxer.  Or leave his wife the boxer.  He knows how to leave a wife, he's done it before.

Spoiler

1520217582.jpeg?resize=665,887%26ssl=1&kLOL
I knew that dog was wearing under-eye bags make-up.

I notice that Moo-Han doesn't object to the dog's make up.

The present.

-It is easy to dismiss Kyung-Soo calling Moo-Han trash as him being "jealous-possessive" Kyung-Soo, yet I wouldn't be surprised to discover there are reasons related to Moo-Han's interaction with Soon-Jin in the past for his statement. (Perhaps her suicide attempt and what he assumes was Moo-Han's part in it.)

-Despite Moo-Han framing his choice of number of times to sleep together as related to the  superstition of seven being lucky, I suspect there is deeper meaning to it. I think it is related to the number of times he saw Soon-Jin cry.  Or the number of times he saw her in distress and helped/or didn't help.

-During how many desperate moments has Moo-Han seen Soon-Jin at the end of her ropes

a ) Ten years ago, Soon-Jin's daughter burial day.  (ep. 10)

b ) The day Soon-Jin and Kyung-Soo were at the courthouse divorcing. (This one is inside the episode, so I couldn't search.)

c ) Six years ago, the day of heavy turbulence followed by the zoo and suicide attempt and staying by her side at the hospital.  (the airport and the photograph ep. 2,4,6, 8) This could be seen as three perhaps.  On the plane, at the zoo, at the hospital

d) A month (?) agoThe day her debt collector visited. (ep. 12) I don't think this is a legitimate part of the count.

Please add what I might have missed.

maxresdefault.jpg4eab84de2973a4e1efbfd9ce1ecec492--bad-lomaxresdefault.jpg

I honestly think that it's the sexual openness and honesty within this drama that is so refreshing and at times can cause blushing as well.  It's the mature feeling and thoughts and yes even adults acting in childlike foolishness which often brings on laughter in thinking Wow did that just happen!!  Even more it's the way in which this story unlike others pulls your heart in so many different directions by giving us an ending every episode that in fact is a part of the beginning...

When did MH fall in love with SH?  Was it love at first sight?  From the debt collector it would seem he has always known where she lived!!!  From the burial sight we realize just how long he has known her and he said he had seen her cry many times over and we have viewed more than a few of those moments.  He also leads me to believe that it's not only his dog that is dying of cancer maybe he is dying too. For there is a reason for him saying they couldn't be together once, did he mean like forever because his time is running out.  Like when he didn't answer MH about being with her to see the Cheery Blossoms Bloom.  Is this the reason he doesn't want his daughter to get close to him because he wants to in fact keep her at arms length to dull her future pain.  Because there is no doubt in my mind just how much he loves YD...

Or could it be that SH's daughter and her mother were in some kind of car accident and MH somehow has knowledge or is a part of or relates somehow to that moment.  One things for sure if SH lost most of her money in going to court fighting over something. That the defense and defender would have had to have had more money than her. Mind you not always but often Which makes me have even more questions???

Also I believe that his daughter ( YD ) just met her match head on in more ways than one in HM.  He has the ability and life knowledge and will show her and teach her what life and I hope what love really means in the future.  She has a lot to learn but I have a feeling he will be able to mold this selfish and unknowing young girl into someone even he could fall in love with...

To some SJ does come across a little harsh sometimes but it's easy to forget all that she has not only had to endure but it was so bad she no longer wanted to live.  I was thinking when she realized that MH had changed her clothes it wasn't him seeing her nakedness that was her first thought but the scar on her wrist she thought of first.  In reality she lost her heart and life back then and she continues to lose everything even now.  We cannot understand that kind of sorrow or pain unless we ourselves have lived it.  Some might wonder how it is that MH can remember everything about her and every moment they were together in the past.  Yet SJ still has yet to remember his face or any of those moments which makes me even more realize just how bad her life has been.  When you lose everything those you love and your life as well.  Everything around you is like a fog and you become like a ghost it's not really living it's as if the world is spinning and your standing still unable to engage in life.  Unable to feel or think or even remember.  For just breathing in and out takes all you have...

:ph34r:Mind you these are only my thoughts I wish I knew the real answers...  Only time and the writer can give us that:wub:

I watch the ending bus scene again and again because it was so understatedly poignant. When SJ shared the earbuds, the choice of music, the slight smiles and looks.... And because it was one of the quiet moments when SJ is not in seduction mode. Her smile felt genuine and it was like she's enjoying what's left of MH's companionship before he finds out about her actual present situation. I think MH was genuinely happy to see her on that bus. Ironic how she said that when coincidences repeat, then it is fate. Because mh is much more aware of the repeated coincidences - for 10 yrs already

@mundane9  I too have been thinking about why did Mu Han said that they were not allowed to love each other. I also thought that it could be related to the death of Soon Jin's daughter, that somehow Mu Han or his family was involved. Hence protecting her, helping her (Zoo, suicide, hospital, reassuring her that it was not her fault) when they met 6 years ago and then in present time paying for her debt, and offering for her to use him as she wanted@USAFarmgirl pointed to an alternative understanding of why he said `not allowed' and that was due to a possibility that not only was Byeol dying but Mu Han could be sick too and hence could not even assure Soon Jin that he would be there for her to see the Cherry Blossoms together, come spring. So far we have not seen any sign or hint of him being sick except for the degenerative arthritis that he mentioned, so I hope that we will not see a terminally ill Mu Han.

@hyall  The lawsuits must be related to Soon Jin's daughter's death. And in her utter devastated condition, she could be committed trepass and assault on the culprit(s). I am curious as to what did Soon Jin's mother do that she confessed that she committed a sin to Soon Jin's family.

@monalisa  Mu Han's dog was diagnosed with cancer and the vet had given him not more than a month to live. He advised Mu Han to put Byeol to sleep as Byeol was in pain but Mu Han could not bear to do so.

Like you, @dzareth, I love the quiet moments that Mu Han and Soon Jin shared in the bus and could feel that at that moment, these 2 lonely, hurting individuals found solace by being together, sincerely.

@gladys57 Welcome to the "i love ahjussi" club! My current favourites are Jo Seung Woo (Secret Forest), Mu Han... does Gong Yoo count?! Isn't he an ahjussi too? (though he's too hot to be one)

Every episode is a cliff hanger. In this drama there are 4 elements. That's why the ratings get higher and higher, everyone is totally hooked:

- tragedy sad melo-drama: this plot is pushing forward every episode by Mu Han

- crazy quirky funny seduction romantic comedy: all encompassed by An Soon Jin because Kim Sun-A is such an amazing actress. Also, why so sexy?! Is this even allowed on national TV? 

- teenage "my first love" love story between chaebol girl, "so-poor-thing" but independent boy: I Deun and Mr. Long-Legs Barista

- "what happened?! ?!" past explanation + cliff hanger "We Can't Forget What We Cherished" short films at end of every ep

This drama is so original and off-tangent that I have given up on almost all other drama and counting down each week to this one. 

From my gut feeling, Mu Han is almost 99% not terminally ill. The scriptwriter is too high level for such a lame let-down plot explanation.

Did anyone notice that Mu Han went to visit someone's grave at the same time as An Soon Jin's ex-husband? Maybe his parent? He was also there on the day of the daughter's burial. That means An Soon Jin's daughter shares the same death anniversary as someone he knows? Could that be why they were "related"?

About An Soon Jin's mother, the daughter's death may be due to her babysitting and having some accident. 

Just some plausible guesses on my part.

I'm really loving the awkward intimate scenes! Reminds me of "Because This Is My First Life" I accidentally watched out of boredom and fell in love with too, just like this one. 

Let's count down to next week! 

so finish this week episodes. I do like the quiet moment between the OTP like in the bus scene, or when they just lay beside each other in bed, or when they have a genuin conversation like in the bar. also the fact that MH have seen her in her worst state and also saved her from dead make me connect to the OTP.  does are the time i love this show more then seduction part. I have always loved an OTP when we see conversation between people that make them closer and just enjoying time together, so hope we see more of that!

But i wonder if SJ seducing him is a form of shield from her real feelings when it comes to romance. we know that she was very hurt from her last marriage and losing her child. so i like when she in the bus scene just lay her head on his shoulder listening to music. I like this side of her, and seems  like she starting to lower her guard around him. 

I come to warm up to MH daughter. behind her gruff attitude she is deeply hurt by her father seemly lack of interest in her. so i wonder why he push her away when he do want to connect to her (that scene where he cry when she leve in taxi). also seems like romance is building with that barista guy. witch move me to other stuff that we have yet to understand, like what happened to SJ daughter, why she have a police record. why she is in dept. what happened between MH and his ex-wife. why does he say that they cant fall in love with each other. so many question that make me come back to unfold them.  

Anyone else fearing that MH might have something to do with death of SJ's daughter? 
Could explain him not wanting to be affectionate towards his own dauther, born the same year as SJ's daughter.

It could also explain him saying "I'm not allowed to love her" and wanting to help her and support her.

The guilt is to much for him?

On another note, love the OTP and the bus scene was perfect! (but I also have a weakness for bus and train scenes :D)

I'm not sure when the law suit was, but it seems that Soon-Jin had a mental breakdown at sometime in the past. 

I don't know if the suicide attempt lead to the mental breakdown or not, but something happened that removed Mu-Han from her memory.

I consider the possibility that Mu-Han's family might be related to Soon-Jin's daughter's death, but I am reconsidering because

-Mu-Han seems to count seeing Soon-Jin mourning her daughter in the cemetery the first time he saw Soon-Jin.

-If there was a connection I wonder if it could be through his former father-in-law's business. We know his ff-i-l is wealthy and powerful.  I can see something like his f-i-l manufacturing a faulty car part that some how cause the death of Soon-Jin's daughter.  Perhaps Mu-han stood witness against Soon-Jin during the lawsuit she lost.  That would have made Kyung-Soo call him trash.

So much to love.

So much more to learn.

To me, it doesn't seem that MH's family or in-laws are the cause of SJ's daughter's death. Although they probably had a role in his divorce and separation from YD. I also don't think he is suffering from a fatal disease. Because if cutting ties from his daughter completely is his idea of sparing her future pain, that's noble idiocy at the highest level. Besides, if that were the case, wouldn't his house be full of YD's photos?

The theory that MH's dad and SJ's daughter share the same death anniversary is plausible - but that scene 10 years ago is obviously at least autumn, which contradicts with MH saying his dad passed away in summer.

Some things we know:

• SJ was last intimate with a man 10 years ago. Likely the day her daughter died. MH's celibate life began much later around 6 years ago, supposedly the time of his flight with SJ. I assume that was when his ex asked for a divorce.
  • 4 years ago they crossed path in front of the court. Possibly for finalisation of their divorces. By this time, KY should already have a daughter with JM.
  • KS's dad recently passed away due to illness. He was taken care of by SJ. In the earlier eps MR was saying something about SJ not wanting to hang out because she was still in mourning and SJ tried to sell something that looked like a hospital bed.
  • SJ committed crimes in 2008 and 2010 and was sentenced but released. The first one was only several months after her daughter's death. I think SJ was institutionalised. Because she told YD once that she has been crazy and has been declared incompetent. Maybe her mother made a statement in court that supports that decision and SJ had to to be locked up in a psychiatric facility - which affected her marriage to KS and gave opportunity to a KS/JM affair. So that is probably why SJ and her mom aren't on the best terms. While her father-in-law stayed with her maybe due to guilt.

I'm curious when did MH know SJ's name. I think he already knew her name before that flight, because he reacted after reading her name tag. He wasn't paying attention to her face before that and probably didn't know that the woman in the cemetery was a stewardess.

I still can't figure out why MH wants to cut off communication completely from YD. And I have no idea as to why he shouldn't/ is not allowed to fall in with SJ. Obviously SJ stole a place in his heart since many years ago.

As for SJ, I hope she will stop faking around MH because her insincerity is blocking her from developing genuine feelings.

I don't think the funeral of Soon-Jin and Kyung-Soo's daughter was the death memorial for Mu-Han's father. If it was a real death memorial, they probably would have brought some food/drinks to set a table. Mu-Han's wife was simply there to give greetings to the father-in-law, to report that she was going to travel to the U.S. with Eden. I think that was their reason for being there.

I do think Mu-Han said that that day was the first time he saw Soon-Jin. My guess is that he is not involved with her daughter's death. If true, I feel like they wouldn't be as close as they are now. He'd be too guilt-ridden. I think there's another reason why he is setting boundaries.

And yes, I think Soon-Jin's mother was somehow involved. She told Kyung-Soo that she had "committed a sin" against him, and he replied that it wasn't her fault.

FYI, the first instagram photo says that Soon-Jin's father-in-law (Kyung-Soo's father) was her (their?) 7th grade homeroom teacher. So they have a lot of history together. Ji-Min may have known them back then, too.

As far as what her criminal record was about: my guess is that she was so devastated about Kyung-Soo getting Ji-Min pregnant that she tried to run someone (Ji-Min? Kyung-Soo?) down with a car or something, and someone pressed charges (Ji-Min's family?)

14 hours ago, 122am said:

@gladys57 Welcome to the "i love ahjussi" club! My current favourites are Jo Seung Woo (Secret Forest), Mu Han... does Gong Yoo count?! Isn't he an ahjussi too? (though he's too hot to be one)

Every episode is a cliff hanger. In this drama there are 4 elements. That's why the ratings get higher and higher, everyone is totally hooked:

- tragedy sad melo-drama: this plot is pushing forward every episode by Mu Han

- crazy quirky funny seduction romantic comedy: all encompassed by An Soon Jin because Kim Sun-A is such an amazing actress. Also, why so sexy?! Is this even allowed on national TV? 

- teenage "my first love" love story between chaebol girl, "so-poor-thing" but independent boy: I Deun and Mr. Long-Legs Barista

- "what happened?! ?!" past explanation + cliff hanger "We Can't Forget What We Cherished" short films at end of every ep

This drama is so original and off-tangent that I have given up on almost all other drama and counting down each week to this one. 

From my gut feeling, Mu Han is almost 99% not terminally ill. The scriptwriter is too high level for such a lame let-down plot explanation.

Did anyone notice that Mu Han went to visit someone's grave at the same time as An Soon Jin's ex-husband? Maybe his parent? He was also there on the day of the daughter's burial. That means An Soon Jin's daughter shares the same death anniversary as someone he knows? Could that be why they were "related"?

About An Soon Jin's mother, the daughter's death may be due to her babysitting and having some accident. 

Just some plausible guesses on my part.

I'm really loving the awkward intimate scenes! Reminds me of "Because This Is My First Life" I accidentally watched out of boredom and fell in love with too, just like this one. 

Let's count down to next week! 

@122am I'm already in the " I love abjushi" club! I love him since I got captivated by his drama " My Spring Days" with SNSD's SooYoung. I even went to UDO island off Jeju just to reminisce that drama. Many of us ahjummas including young ones (even 21 year olds) call him "Mr Ahjuicy" because of his smoldering STARE and sexy voice! 

This drama will be better than My Spring Days of course.:blush:

Archived