Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] Should We Kiss First?, 키스 먼저 할까요

WOW! The ratings are soaring and deservedly so as each episode is getting better and better!:heart:

@LyraYoo thanks for sharing! 

Kudos to the writer for giving us such interesting characters in SJ & MH and very realistic and  thought provoking dialogues! :D

The LOVE MOTEL scene is very "Westernised" and hilarious! Is this drama a melo or what? :tongue:

I've been to Korea countless times but didn't really get to see the interior of a LOVE MOTEL until now. Heeee! :blush:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mushforbrains said:

This is fabulous....all the cringey embarrassing moments but oh so funny!!!

seduce him with your back indeed....

and all the while he is already in love with her....

achingly sweet.......with a hard emotional core....

loving this....found my "crack" 

As much as I enjoy the awkwardness and discomfort which make for the humorous moments, it is your perfect word choice,  achingly , which captures for me  their pain,  hurt,  bitterness, loneliness and sadness which we see present in their actions and words. There’s just this terrible ache  that colors their lives and makes it difficult to live and to successfully move along. Hopefully  their mutual discovery will help diminish and dilute the pain and allow them to experience once again the joy that love can bring to their lives.

• Like 5

This drama is intriguing. Each episode we are reminded "he found something he cherished, she has forgotten". But for now, it is still quite cryptic. Is she the one being cherished? Is he the one she had forgotton? Or is there something else? And the questions in the opening sequence? What will those be about?

Spoiler

The way I see it, SMH is perplexed by ASJ. He has the advantage of recognising her from 6 years ago. The hurtful SJ. But the present SJ seemed to be vastly different - sassy, confident, courageous and vulgar - except that moment in the rain when SJ's eyes betrayed all that. Kudos to Kim Sun Ah in that scene. Her eyes looked really sad. In a span of a few minutes of turbulent flight, ASJ managed to distract him from his own issues that afterwards he ended up following her at the zoo. We have yet to see the end of that past, which is being revealed bit by bit. Now there is the issue with his kid. What kind of agreement that hechad with his ex, that he is so adamant not to reconnect with her? The separation happened when SYD was about 10, so they should have had some memorable years together. But MH is totally cutting YD off. He even looks at her very coldly. How does a parent do that?

ASJ, until recently had no lingering memories about MH. Her motives at seducing him now is primarily for security. But would she be ready for his companionship? We knew she had a baby, somewhere along the way her then-husband cheated and now has his own family. The husband seemed to be her first and only man so far. And we learnt that she took care of her father in law until his death. Even accumulating debt for that. But what is it with this scheming facade? 

MH knows more about SJ at the moment. He's been to her messy apartment, where there are many empty bottles and items tagged for foreclosure. He is even aware that she is trying to seduce him (sincerely or not). He  knows she was hurt, but isn't sure if she is healed. Yet she is still in the dark about him. So the relationship is quite unbalanced. 

So many questions, so few answers. But the casting has been great so hopefully the storytelling will improve too.

• Like 6

I guess this is just me, but I have felt a big disconnect between the OTP, like she want to sleep with him from their blind date, but he is no where in that direction. it is obvious that he have a big trauma from his past marriage and not wanting to get into another romantic relationship. so her conclude on the blind date that he is a perv and taking viagara when it is obvious that it is something else going on in his head is off putting. To me it would be to obvious that he don´t want to go on the blind date and want to drive her off having haiking gear on. Also i would have liked her friend more if she did have some thoughtful advice, but all she can talk about is how to seduce that did not work out anyway. Maybe she should talk to her friends boyfriend who seems to have some wise word to say.

Our man seem to need a slow burn romance because he is so guarded and need time to upen up. but she just want to get him into bed as fast as possible is disconnecting to me.  I guess because i am a shy person myself and need time to upen up to a person so having someone talking about sleeping together after some meeting I would feel uncomfortable and thinking that ting is going to fast for me, when we are not even a couple yet. so I can connect to him in needing time to letting himself open up to her. when also adding that he is probably being scared from last relationship. 

But after last episode thing seems to slow down and they are friends for now. witch to me is the best place to start for their romance journey :) 

• Like 7

Episode 7, anyone wants to take a guess what was in Soo Jin's box from the vending machine. I did not get the English sub on that conversation. She called it I believe a "broken" massage thingy. I bet the all "blur" item is a vibrator and I think in the end Mo Han probably explained to her and she renamed it as a crazy "banana" and they had a good laugh.

• Like 4

This drama is a masterpiece. 

For me personally, it's on par with Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (The Man Who Can't Get Married) by Abe Hiroshi). For both series, apart from exploring emotional trauma, it gives a lot of room for each role to have character development throughout the series. Every main character has quirks and is well-fleshed. Both explores realistic society problems like middle-aged loneliness, male-female-friendship, solo enjoyment like reading and gourmet... while keeping a very light-hearted, comedic tempo.

if you like this drama, chances are you'll also like Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. 

Additionally, I think both drama has a timeless element to it, it's not overtly fashionable, so it will not feel "out" so quickly too. 

Deaf barista guy is so hot when chasing after the bus. I couldn't recognise him as the guy in the cafe. KSA should just richard simmons-slap the 17 year old a few times, who cares who her parents are? 

I like how "Should We Kiss First" has romance elements without the usual Korean drama antics such as "waiting for the ep 8 kiss", "evil parents in law"... I also like the portrayal of divorce here. It's so rare in Asian dramas to get the realistic parent-child, husband-wife dynamics of divorce. The cringey conflicts and misunderstandings are too hard to bear for the audience too. 

Kim Sun-a is excellent so far and Kam Woo Sung is total tsundere ajusshi-bae material. There are only 2 actors in this category for me right now, KWS and Jo Seung Woo... kekeke

@Jackie1048 looks like a d*ldo to me... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, 122am said:

Kim Sun-a is excellent so far and Kam Woo Sung is total tsundere ajusshi-bae material. There are only 2 actors in this category for me right now, KWS and Jo Seung Woo... kekeke

I agreee @122am I love the OTP and Kam Woo- Sung is bae material. I love when an actor/actress can transform into a bae material. Kim Sun A is very talented. The very first drama I saw was A scent of women. That was a masterpiece and so happy she is in another masterpiece. 

@dzareth... I agree something must have happened for SJ to forget everything. I remember him saying some people are just fated to meet the people they not supposed to. This drama has so many unanswered questions that will be answered. So far I am loving the way the drama is being told. 

• Like 7

Yee Ji Won is around 47 years old and she can twist herself like a pretzel.

That daughter of his I want to slap her silly . She is so horribly brought up.

• Like 5

I'm enjoying the slow burn. My theory about MH's "plan" is the things he do for SJ such as 

Spoiler

following her live for today shenanigans, reading the passages and inviting her for a sleepover and other future good deeds that SJ may interpret as him wanting a relationship with her. He's probably aware she isn't out of the slump she was in since 6 years ago and genuinely wants to help but unknowingly this made him opened his own heart and fell in love. Thus, love was a mistake.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

KissFirst15.jpg?w=654images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJaTS5JGsFTgRo5F5i9ubimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQevcIglwClWw3JKDi4e_m   I Saw You...  I See You...  And Even More I Understand You...

This drama is so different than the usual ones I choose to watch and I find myself being more drawn by this OTP and their uniqueness that moves me in ways I can't even explain.  There is a sense of raw honesty and even the need of survival of wanting and needing just to rest within the arms of another human being.  To warm yourself and lean upon and feel the touch and embrace of someone who not only understands but can relate to where you are and where you have been...

I think the beginning was different and unlike most in the way in which this writer chooses to tell a mixture of the past and weaves it softly into the present.  I loved the way in which she didn't remember and that she didn't realize just when they met for the first time.  Or that he in fact was moved by her more than once and knew of her situation and seeing her at different times dealing with different emotions.  I think the moment she a stewardess threw away his family picture after keeping it in her pocket and then going back and getting it out of the trash and wiping it off and keeping it again.  This family and man she didn't really know but it spoke to my heart in that it showed hers so loudly. That even an unknown picture of a family she didn't know had value...

Another thing I found interesting about myself who not only loves animals but owns more than my share in how he is dealing with his dog whom is more like a friend in dealing with his dog having cancer.  Yet not like my usual self in sadness by this point there were moments I still was able to laugh not at his pain but in how he deals with life and knowing that in reality there are so many people just like him lonely and whom have been hurt by being left alone or behind like an empty shell just going through the motions but not really living.  For losing your family and someone you love, whom you believed and trusted loved you because they found someone else is a pain hard for words to express.  Often it's as if even living becomes meaningless and there is little of yourself left...

She too is dealing with so much loss but having a husband who after losing a child which is a pain no words can describe.  Having to on top of that deal with being left by her husband whom should have been her shelter from that storm but he chooses another and not just any other woman,  He picked one close within view someone she worked with dang it's the lowest kind of hurt...

Still I think even in these first episodes there was honesty and reality in this OTP and the situations that people can find themselves in.  That often life is lonely and love isn't easy to find that there are moments when you just get tired of life seeming to pass you by...

It's this combination of playfulness and desperation that this OTP creates that I believe is what sets this drama apart and makes it worth watching...

I wonder if his daughter will find a romance of her own? Not to mention someone to inspire her to grow up. I sure hope so:blush:

@dzareth..... i agree with your theory chingu, i think he fell for her a long time ago. He just hasn't realized it yet. You are right , he knows she is still miserable and he is trying to make her happy. ironically he is becoming happy too. In fact they both have fun together and I have to say they make the cutest OTP.....   :wub::wub::heart::heart:

@USAFarmgirl.... Well said chingu. This drama is very realistic.

Son Yi Deum is so selfish but very lost child. SHe is rude and miserable. I think she wanted to reconnect with her father so badly.  Yeo Ha Min the barrista at Eun Kyung Soo's cafe. The guy she stole the truck from will push her to be more mature. She acts that for attention because of her dad abandoning her. But I think it is her mom who made him  choose to give up his right for good. I recall the conversation between her parents and he said that She makes all the decision. Then she said he is YD's father and he said 6 years ago I was her dad then too. This writer knows how create suspension in a scene. smh smh smh 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Really happy the drama is getting a great reception in Korea!! I truly feel this is the second peak of Kim Sun Ah's career. She can do many genres but i feel that she shines the most in romantic comedies. With the introduction of Mu Han's family, i think it will be interesting how their relationship will evolve from now. From friends.. To lovers?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The book he reads from I have seen the movie with Robert Redford and Jane Fonda.  It also deals with lonely people. There's an old America song...this is for all the lonely people , thinking that life has passed them by...

This drama really touches me while at the same time being humorous, a difficult combination to achieve successfully.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 2/28/2018 at 12:54 AM, LyraYoo said:

Someone is recapping this show !

It's me! Yay, thank you for posting! I love this so much so we are bumping it up to recap after we live recap Radio Romance! I can't wait to watch this show when Monday and Tuesday roll around. I am really looking forward to next week. :blush:

1 hour ago, hyall said:

The book he reads from I have seen the movie with Robert Redford and Jane Fonda.  It also deals with lonely people. There's an old America song...this is for all the lonely people , thinking that life has passed them by...

This drama really touches me while at the same time being humorous, a difficult combination to achieve successfully.

Oh, did he really read from that book? I thought he had the book but was just saying what he wanted her to do, lol. I completely missed that!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, V said:

It's me! Yay, thank you for posting! I love this so much so we are bumping it up to recap after we live recap Radio Romance! I can't wait to watch this show when Monday and Tuesday roll around. I am really looking forward to next week. :blush:

Oh, did he really read from that book? I thought he had the book but was just saying what he wanted her to do, lol. I completely missed that!

What he read are exactly the lines Jane Fonda says to Robert Redford's character when she suggests passing the night together because she is lonely too as like him she lost her spouse too, many years ago. I enjoyed that movie. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hyall said:

What he read are exactly the lines Jane Fonda says to Robert Redford's character when she suggests passing the night together because she is lonely too as like him she lost her spouse too, many years ago. I enjoyed that movie. 

Thank you for letting us know that! That is so interesting. I'm going to add that to our recap. :blush:

• Like 3

On 01/03/2018 at 2:21 AM, UnniSarah said:

I agreee @122am I love the OTP and Kam Woo- Sung is bae material. I love when an actor/actress can transform into a bae material. Kim Sun A is very talented. The very first drama I saw was A scent of women. That was a masterpiece and so happy she is in another masterpiece. 

I first saw her in Kim Sam Soon years ago and she was awesome, put on weight for the role and really aced it. As a non-skinny woman I could really relate to her character in the drama and I cried buckets along with the female lead character... I tried to watch Woman of Dignity but couldn't sustain my interest in the plot, as I prefer comedies (seen some tragic side of human life now that I'm in my 30s, prefer happy drama)... 

and KSA is very very good in romance while acting funny. 

Have you watched anything by Jo Seung Woo, such as Stranger a.k.a. Secret Forest? He is so ajusshi-tsundere-bae-material too. Swooning!

On 01/03/2018 at 7:00 PM, gustave154 said:

Really happy the drama is getting a great reception in Korea!! I truly feel this is the second peak of Kim Sun Ah's career. She can do many genres but i feel that she shines the most in romantic comedies. With the introduction of Mu Han's family, i think it will be interesting how their relationship will evolve from now. From friends.. To lovers?

I agree! She is doing so well in romantic comedy. It's the best role for her since Kim Sam Soon. I haven't watched City Hall, I know it's a classic. I tried to but the look of the show (2014) is too old... I couldn't make it past 20 mins of ep 1. 

Edited by triplem
Pls do not post consecutively within an hour. Edit to add. TQ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@122am

Spoiler

I am have seen Stranger aka Secret Forest chingu. This drama ruined crime drama for me because it was so well written and performed. The entire cast was DAEBAK...

• Like 3