[Drama 2018] My Husband Oh Jak-doo 데릴남편 오작두

larus

5 hours ago, Kim Yunmi said:

... (The thing he promised to replenish as a probably plug for the item because they need money.) It's like a pact between them... which is also why she returned it, but probably a plug again.

What do you mean by “plug”?

Red bean jelly comes in those tube things. Personally, though, probably due to my childhood, I prefer the red bean-filled fish. AKA Bungeoppang. Iksan market.

Red bean jelly comes in tubes too? Please show us a pic. Tried to google but only found the flat bar kind that OJD buys.

Red bean filled fish shaped dessert is popular in Asia it seems. I know what you mean.. 

Somehow I think Subway would be too blatant as all the other ppl have been relatively subtle which I like. I can’t imagine OJD eating that..

3 hours ago, cheremaman said:

OJD/Kim Kang Woo is just gorgeous and I long for a perfect photo of this man for a screen saver. Anyone?:( 

Spoiler

Will these do?

All credits to owners

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

am sort of annoyed with these two episodes because seung joo was really mean to jak doo. :wacko: the girl should just tell him what her problem is.  @triplem ~ after watching with subs, the hug just felt sad. he was looking like a puppy in the rain. :( and she was trying to push him away. do you need someone to be bad in order to care about him? even after he told her that he needed her as he was feeling so lost? wish she had genuinely comforted him in a real hug.

okay I need to vent but I at least get his perspective -- the fella wants to be free of guilt and hiding. why he needed to move in to eric's place. who knows. but atleast he wants to own his grandfather's legacy instead of hiding in secret in mountains. got it. big stuff. so why can't she support him instead of worrying about her useless leeches of a family who she keeps enabling by giving money? jak doo was there for here when a killer was on the loose -- instead of running and leaving her alone, he stayed. instead of running when he found she had a panic disorder, he became her guardian. he took responsibility essentially for a stranger. and instead of being there for him when he needs her, when he tells her that he is feeling lost and when he asks her to be there for him, she is mean. :angry:

I think another reason SJ is pushing JD away is because of her family of leeches. Imagine if the mum knows JD is some rich artisan, maybe she'll dig her claws into him. Huhu

I dont actually think JD was being a noble idiot much, he wanted to talk with SJ, but she cut him off. She didnt come when they were suppose to meet up. SJ was the one who was actively pushing him away.

So I'm glad SJ is stepping up to protect JD. And i'm glad that JD is being straight to the point with SJ. The last time i saw a chatacter so frank about his feelings and pushing it forward was Jihoon from marriage contract. That man knew what he wants and didny stop hahaha

9 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Eh her attitude those 2 episodes really annoyed me,I guess we had to have 2 of each being annoying lol.

I agree with the recent posts about the mean way HSJ is treating OJD. It almost feels like a revenge for the 2 chapters he was mean to her in the mountains. Since we have had 2 for each like what @dramaninja said, I hope that’s the end of that! Going forward, I really hope HSJ will be kind to OJD. Look, the poor guy is crying at the workplace in the preview, he must be really stressed over his new situation. The only other recent times he cried was over their relationship.

A side note about our previous discussion of OH and finances, I was watching episode 12 yesterday. EC told HSJ that OH would gain fame and wealth. @katakwasabi I think you are right, HSJ must fear her mum and bro’s response once they know about OH.

@meechuttso thanks for the preview translation and haha, your name again.

Dropping the country accent is fascinating. OJD must be doing this on purpose to show he’s being her colleague at work, Oh Hyuk. Does it seem silly to speak to a Seoul colleague in a country accent? I would expect him to remain OJD with accent outside of work. PD and main star need to build up rapport. They need to get together at eating places, convenience stores after work, even their homes. She probably has to help him with his driving skills too. :D that’s what I understand from other dramas.

47 minutes ago, triplem said:

I agree with you. I know she’s being defensive but I felt so bad for Jak Doo. I’m sorry chingus , I feel a little miffed to be honest at how she spoke to him. I can’t really understand why she’s being so stubborn. He’s stood by her in all her tough times. And he’s doing this for her too, helping to pay her brother’s debts. I know she’s feeling bad about it but this is not how I’d expect her to react.

yea, thats why I felt really bad for him. he is not the typical male lead and he did above his call of duty. he was there for her. and if she didn't want to be with him romantically, thats okay but at least be there for him as a friend when he is asking for your help? or if she couldnt do that, at least be polite and not act so mean and tell him why she can't be there for him in a nice way? but guess it was meant to show how she still had feelings for him and was acting out. the look on her face when she saw him with eun joo -- it was like she caught him cheating or something! ... looks like next week, she will be there as his colleague and friend... it is a pity that her house isn't haunted -- then the mother and useless brother would get some lesson at least. :sweat_smile:at this rate, they are not going to learn anything...

Initially I didn’t understand why SJ had to be rude to JD even in the few earlier episodes.  After the story about her life unfold, I understand why she behaves that way.  She is a bit ‘selfish’ about JD due to her getting abandoned by her family.  Plus in ep 15 & 16 she did tell her friend another reason (mainly due to her mom & bro) why she needs to end the relationship.  I wish she tone down her stubbornness and give JD a break to explain his decision. As for why JD is living with Eric, if i remember correctly, it was a condition set by Eric.  

I am hoping that the subsequent episodes, they will learn more about each other and heal themselves from their personal issues.  Also SJ to get use to JD being OH and cut ties with her toxic family members.   I think the mountain will eventually be Jak-Joo’s home.

I have to confess that i have watched each episodes a couple to times.  Everytime i watch, i see things from different perspectives  :lol:

4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

what does this term "gaslight them" mean?????

Term is from an old movie think Ingrid Bergman was in it. The husband told the wife that she was crazy because she kept hearing noises from the apartment upstairs. To further this notion that she was nuts he started dimming the gas lamps on and off and told her she was imagining things when he was with her and the lights dimmed. He got the maid to dim them and was having an affair with the maid. Charming husband that. He was the one upstairs searching for the woman jewels I think who lived upstairs. Think he murdered her too.

There is a famous scene towards the end where the wife turns the tables on him. It's an old movie but worth watching. Crikey I think I just revealed my age.

So to gaslight someone is to kind of brainwash them into believing they are responsible for their problems or question their sanity when in fact the person gaslighting them is responsible.

On 4/22/2018 at 11:46 AM, zba72 said:

Initially I didn’t understand why SJ has to be rude to JD even in the few earlier episodes.  After the story about her life unfold, I understand why she behaves that way.  She is a bit ‘selfish’ about JD due to her getting abandoned by her family.  Plus in ep 15 & 16 she did tell her friend another reason (mainly due to her mom & bro) why she needs to end the relationship.  I wish she tone down her stubbornness and give JD a break to explain his decision. As for why JD is living with Eric, if i remember correctly, it was a condition set by Eric.  

I am hoping that the subsequent episodes, they will learn more about each other and heal themselves from their personal issues.  Also SJ to get use to JD being OH and cut ties with her toxic family members.   I think the mountain will eventually be Jak-Joo’s home. 

Yes, the writer is doing her best to present the main OTP storyline, the challenge kind of becoming like threading a needle in a noisy somewhat makjang (eek there's that ugly word) scenario ready to spin out of control at any moment each episode.

As much as I try to watch the OTP story as a romcom fantasy love pairing separated from the comical caricatures of oppositions to ther true love pairing, the ugly reality has crept in here in Ep 15, 16 which can no longer be left unsaid.

I point to some key sentences Seung-Joo makes. Jak-Doo is simple here now. He made his decision, and he's just a needy man just like she was in the mountain, and presents himself as such. Seung-Joo however is much more like how Jak-Doo was in ep 10 in the mountain, deeply conflicted, getting uncharacteristically excited and yelling at her, before he caved in and told her his true feelings at the train station.

Near the end of ep13, SJ gets upset hearing from her 2 friends that JD might have insisted on her being his PD out of pity for her after seeing how poorly she was dressed running into him at the hotel (end of ep12). She storms off to EricJo house to tell him, Jak-Doo, 'who the heck do u think u r to tell me to do this work or that!'. End of ep 13.

After the exchange, she tells him in very harsh language, "I'm busy and no longer have the time to look after ( clean up after ) chon-nom ( country bumpkin )." Then she tries to use Eric to distance himself from JD, and JD being simple just reacts 3 times for her to not do that, the 2nd time saying, "don't mention Eric in front of me", then the 3rd time his voice cracking, "don't ask that bum (ej) such favors!"

She mutters to herself,

바보같이.... 갓으면 확변해버리던가....

Like a fool, if you left me, just completely change why don't you? (implied: why are you still the same wonderful Jak-Doo?)

Then the key revelation of her heart and the most straightforward explanation in her own words come at about 20min mark of ep 16 the next morning at thd office , SJ talking to her PD friend.

꼭 비오는날 길잃은 강아지같더라

He's just like a lost wet puppy on a rainy day...

이것저것안따지고, 막위로해주고싶을만큼

Without nitpicking or being calculating, wish I could just comfort him without holding back.

그사람이나한테 그랬던것처럼

Just like he (that person) had done for me.

(her friend suggests why not go back to her love Jak-Doo and be his PD also?)

내마음과 내현실이 지구끝에서끝가지 거리가멀답니다

My heart and my reality (the reality of my current situation), they are as far as the one end of the earth is to the other end.

근데, 어떻게 내마음데로사냐?

So how to live to please my heart?

-

I came to Mh OJD thread as a refuge from the MGL thread, story about another dirt spoon woman torn between reality and her wishes. I felt emotional abuse there from the writer's plot line and frankly didn't want to even mention it again here in this happy place that made me want to gif away again all my pent up shipper's heart.

While I am certainly not happy to hear Seung-Joo utter those words (in bold face above) on why she's behaving that way, at least the writer is trying to reason with us and give us a forward moving progression towards a viable happy ending that doesn't seem absurd. And the main difference for me is the male central character - he seems so entirely worthy of Seung-Joo's aspirations and her changing in character for real this time, to be 'balanced' (as @Kim Yunmi said) as his partner for life. Because none of us just want a crying Seun-Joo who "just sits there and breathes" pretty, the country wife Jak-Doo wants to care for. But we do like the Jak-Doo who's becoming vulnerable, is quite pathetic, who looks good in black, who looks great in white, heck he looks great in nothing at all, but my point is I like that Seung-Joo will learn more about who he really is, as he speaks to her as Hyuk next week. I trust that bit of noble idiocy she showed today because she's come back to the same reality-based Seung-Joo before her ptsd which she is now over with but was instrumental in their meeting and coming together, was already a fleeting moment of idiocy and that as she learns more about the mountain man she will come to her senses, stop enabling the evil around her, and show us her journey to the mountain man she more than deserves. Jak-Doo's love has no requirements or preconditions. Seung-Joo, you are what Jak-Doo wants!

I love reading your posts especially your analysis and POV @meechuttso :)

37 minutes ago, meechuttso said:

She mutters to herself,

바보같이.... 갓으면 확변해버리던가....

Like a fool, if you left me, just completely change why don't you? (implied: why are you still the same wonderful Jak-Doo?)

It would have been easier for her to forget him if he changes.  I wonder if she still keeps the ring though.

I am also convinced that JD will still be JD till the end.  I am looking forward to the story of him and his late grandfather.  So far there’s only bits and pieces and i think there’s alot more than what it seems. 

It is just frustrating to watch SJ pushing JD away. JD was so hurt in the latest 2 episodes and wanting SJ to comfort him.

I mean, I do understand why SJ is behaving this way thanks to her annoying mother and leech brother and their forever ongoing problems.

And how worried she was that coming out as OH will make him like  a puppet to be manipulated by many ambitious/evil people who just want to make use of him. However, I do think that this is the right time for SJ to protect JD by sailing through the storm with him! 

SJ is like an anchor to JD's boat and he want to find himself again with her. But being pushed away so many times just hurt him and the viewers so much.

Although SJ seems to come around in episode 16, I still feel upset for JD.

Hence I stand by my grumbles that why can't all writers just give our OTP happily ever after and allow them to resolve any issues or problems  together for the remaining episodes.

It is like all writers are allergic to happily ever after till the finale. :expressionless: 

11 minutes ago, zba72 said:

It would have been easier for her to forget him if he changes.  I wonder if she still keeps the ring though.

I have the same question as @zba72 . Does she keep the ring?? I wonder!!! If she returned it with the rest of the things he gave her then JD would immediately have picked it up would'nt he?

Oops sorry too caught up with the question that I forgot to introduce myself. I have been a silent faithful follower of this forum since ep1. This forum helps to sustain my addiction from monday to friday. Just learned that is a sure sign of being jakdooholic:D

I love & enjoy reading @meechuttso analysis & POV that give me deeper understanding & appreciation of the story & characters. Thank you @meechuttso

Ep 15 & 16 put me in tears especially when JD was acting like a puppy caught in the rain when he managed to hug SJ. Aish!! KKW such a great actor. 

@meechuttso really appreciate your long discourse, so patiently laying out the Korean and English lines side by side. Thank you!

I do cherish the fact that OJD remains the same simple and sincere man.

HSJ on the other hand gets all shouty and mean as a defense mechanism. She really reminds me of a teacher I once had - a tiny teacher with a small voice who raised her voice frequently to control the class.

She mutters to herself,

바보같이.... 갓으면 확변해버리던가....

It’s hard for her to be mean to him knowing he’s the same OJD with the same heart. It touches her heart like it does ours, knowing he’s a wet puppy on a rainy day. 

이것저것안따지고, 막위로해주고싶을만큼

He doesn't argue or defend himself at all, so much so I want to console him.

그사람이나한테 그랬던것처럼

Just like he (that person) had done for me.

:bawling:

And the main difference for me is the male central character - he seems so entirely worthy of Seung-Joo's aspirations and her changing in character for real this time, to be 'balanced' (as @Kim Yunmi said) as his partner for life.  

OJD is a really awesome character. I don’t believe I’ve ever come across a character like that. This writer is really something!

But we do like the Jak-Doo who's becoming vulnerable, is quite pathetic, who looks good in black, who looks great in white, heck he looks great in nothing at all, but my point is I like that Seung-Joo will learn more about who he really is, as he speaks to her as Hyuk next week

You have made an insightful point!

OJD is a happy and simple mountain man. He is confident, capable and strong in his mountain chores, herb gathering and gayageum crafting.

On the other hand, OH looks swoony in smart clothes but is really a vulnerable, pathetic, not very confident man, scared of the world he has entered. He doesn’t seem happy too. That’s why it’s time for HSJ superwoman to swoop in to the rescue! To help him in his journey as OH awakened from a long hibernation.

... as she learns more about the mountain man she will come to her senses, stop enabling the evil around her, and show us her journey to the mountain man she more than deserves. Jak-Doo's love has no requirements or preconditions. Seung-Joo, you are what Jak-Doo wants!

My heart feels heavy as I read your insightful analysis. I wince at every harsh, mean thing HSJ lets out at undeserving OJD. Yet I know there is progress. The OTP is moving forward.. Things will get better! :wub:

5 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

I think another reason SJ is pushing JD away is because of her family of leeches. Imagine if the mum knows JD is some rich artisan, maybe she'll dig her claws into him. Huhu

I dont actually think JD was being a noble idiot much, he wanted to talk with SJ, but she cut him off. She didnt come when they were suppose to meet up. SJ was the one who was actively pushing him away.

So I'm glad SJ is stepping up to protect JD. And i'm glad that JD is being straight to the point with SJ. The last time i saw a chatacter so frank about his feelings and pushing it forward was Jihoon from marriage contract. That man knew what he wants and didny stop hahaha

@katakwasabi, this is what makes both of them noble idiots. They think they know best how to protect the other person without giving the other person a say in the matter; willing to give up on love together instead of coming together and taking on whatever battle that comes their way together. Two cords are stronger than one. JD and SJ are trying to shield each other from pain as if they're afraid the other will break.

I was happy at the end that SJ stopped pushing JD away. The same way I was happy when JD stopped pushing SJ way a few episodes back. Now that they both had a turn at pushing each other back, let's hope they join forces and propel each other forward.

From what I read from you guys ( I stopped watching it to marathon later ), this show’s gone down the path of Noble Idiocy in duo mode <_<

Hmmmnn, lets hope it picks up from where it shines soon, our couple together. And PLEASE some more kisses?

10 hours ago, Lmangla said:

what does this term "gaslight them" mean?????

Gaslight is to a term about a kind of abuse that people do--emotional abuse a person would say they they never hit their kid--or they never stole that money you know they stole, and because the other manipulation is good, the person believes it. You can see this in SJ when she believes she killed her father, which is the result of the abuse of her mother. (Also the overall low self esteem around having a husband highlighted in Episode 16, IIRC). You can see the psychological manipulation had its toll on her. Her mother also says things like she never stole that money, even if you know she did. And then says that she was owed it because her husband died, when caught. These are signs of a toxic person in any sort of relationship. She needs to be cut, because if she's cut from SJ's life, it would help BOTH characters fully. SJ could get the healing she needs from the toxic relationship her mother is putting her through, and her mother when not enabled would have to fend for herself which might make her grow up for the 6 year old mentality she has going on in her head.

Personally, I think SJ needs the lecture from Live's recent episode 11 and 12, about it not being her fault and consent...

8 hours ago, Jackie1048 said:

The 2005 South Korean census showed 29.2 percent of the population identifying as Christian, up from 26.3 percent ten years previously. ... In 1980, South Korea sent 93 missionaries and by 2009, some 20,000 Korean missionaries. Seoul contains 11 of the world's 12 largest Christian congregations.

Still a minority. What's 100%-29.2% (simple math--when I say minority, they are the minority)--the majority of the population is still atheist, with Buddhist higher than Christians. Mugyo and Donghak are two minor religions, but homegrown. Even though the atheist population doesn't actively participate, sometimes they do it for fortune telling, etc every year. Some of it has synchronized, though with native Buddhist populations sideways absorbing some of Mugyo's belief systems and Mugyo also absorbing some Buddhist.

Also, Umm... Korean here, so preaching to a Korean about Korea when I'm making an assertion that is supported by what you just said kinda comes off weird. I also asserted I was Korean in the post you quoted.... so it's not like you could have made that mistake.

8 hours ago, aloraloralora said:

What do you mean by “plug”?

Red bean jelly comes in tubes too? Please show us a pic. Tried to google but only found the flat bar kind that OJD buys.

Red bean filled fish shaped dessert is popular in Asia it seems. I know what you mean.. 

Somehow I think Subway would be too blatant as all the other ppl have been relatively subtle which I like. I can’t imagine OJD eating that..

A product plug. A product plug is where sponsors buy on the show a bit of advertisement.

Not so much tubes, but they come in tube-ish packaging as shown in the show. It's pressed onto long rectangles, but the main point of it is that they are NOT energy bars. It's a terrible translation.

Bunggeoppang is a childhood favorite of mine. Iksan market. Eomma used to buy them for me when I was good. 'cause you know, Korean here. So I think it means something different for me, as a Korean than something for you?

That's the joke... you seem to not understand the jokes about product placements.... I think you need to watch King of Dramas to understand my post more. It should be required watching for all K-drama lovers because it makes jokes about the production, etc. So it'll explain to you why Subway kept popping up and being mentioned in Goblin. Usually the more expensive productions these days use Subway/Quiznos/Dominos as product plugs. Either that or you haven't watched enough dramas.

This months  schedule of  therapy and self help sessions for the  Chaebol or Part timer or Heiress in need:

#1Noble Idiocy: Noble or Just Idiocy? Effective or not ? Group discussion. 

#2 How to say “Just say no” to your Evil MIL or worthless greedy family or the Rich Ex who makes who feel like poop. Glasses for water flinging provided. Instructions for obtaining restraining orders  provided.  

#3 Ex Girlfriends Rehab: You too can embrace sanity!  10 days Toward  logic and reality!  Note: not placed next to the above. 

#4 Stop Wrist grabbing! She is not a possession! How to be hot and manly by using your words not breaking her wrist. 

# 5 Your magical or undead mate and you: Coping with headache, heartache and Loss. Swords, potions and magic portals  prohibited. 

Takes place at participating Subways . Will fill up quickly. 

thanks @Kim Yunmi for the explanation, @hyall gave the history -- it sounds like very interesting movie. looked in google and actual the title of movie is gaslight . one of these days will check it out. :) 

2 hours ago, gusanito said:

From what I read from you guys ( I stopped watching it to marathon later ), this show’s gone down the path of Noble Idiocy in duo mode <_<

Hmmmnn, lets hope it picks up from where it shines soon, our couple together. And PLEASE some more kisses?

yup, we definitely need more kisses. the drama has been very miserly on that regard. maybe she can trip and fall while making the documentary and he can catch her? :tongue:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQajPY9oRcFXtpSIQJ0-q7images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdDwN43brFynN1Tey_3lMimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRziTk9ihlPSB80m4VE6Hh

How does one face or deal with losing their home filled with memories and their heart left with a hole in letting go of someone like JD?:(

I guess for me it's a little different take on how I feel about SJ.  I don't disagree that it seems heartless in the way she continues to push JD away time after time and even a little harder push each time as well.  I love JD's character and that he is trying to deal with his own past in wanting to heal himself and yet be true to his grandfathers dream for him...

Still when I think about all the things that SJ is dealing with at the moment it's easy for me to believe that she is way past being overwhelmed.  She continues to live with her Mother & Brother holding onto her life by her throat and pulling her down since she was a child. Controlling her and tormenting her by using her own Fathers death and that pain to bait her into doing what they want.  Making her kneel to their own wants and needs.  It's not just a matter of feeling helpless but even worse feeling hopeless.  How humiliating it would be day after day and year after year with a yoke so heavy around your neck. 

No rest and no relief...

On top of that her friends all those around her seem to have a normal progression in life which doesn't go unnoticed to someone who has no one waiting for her or caring for her or sharing in her life.  That is until one man opens her eyes and heart to everything and it's as if for the first time she can see and feel what others around her experience daily that she never has had...

If you have never tasted chocolate you have no idea how sweet it is and the same goes for being loved like JD loves her.  Yet once you have tasted it and experienced it how does one forget the sweetness of that?   I don't believe it's only about his change, or his name alone but maybe because she has nothing in her mind to offer.  That is except for a family who she knows will an can cause misery and embarrassment a life that cannot compare to his first loves whose arm was snugly wrapped around his in perfect view...

On top of that memories and guilt over a life whom she knew and a man who misunderstood but continued to try and make her pay for something she didn't even do.  And even now a little boy who has lost everything that she can see standing right in front of her.  Giving up her once dreams and finding out that those she trusted and worked with and believed in would only fill her heart with disappointment and pain...

You see SJ & JD once seemed to live in the same valley both with their own secrets, pain and heartache.  Both finding comfort within one another's  lives.  But to her seeing him now and the changes that are taking place right before her eyes.  It's as if  he is now truly living on a mountain so high that she doesn't feel worthy to reach or climb.  Success changes so many things and considering her past life it's no wonder she wants to stop, run and hide.  When she already loves him so very much...  The thoughts of loving him more and losing him would make someone like her let go just out of fear knowing she might not survive it...

She comes back but not by her own will, but the fear in wanting to protect JD from the cruelty and power of those she now knows all to well.  It's as if they have changed places and now it is she that will stand up and give in to protect him...

Thanks @Kim Yunmi for explaining about plugs and red bean jelly. Certainly everyone has their own comfort food and childhood favourites. Hope you still get to eat the “fish” sometimes. Red bean filled fish and other similar filled food have been around.. Some of my friends love them.

Appreciate you sharing the Korean perspective. Helps us understand and appreciate the drama much more. 

About product placements, I’ve seen the shows with Subway. As you said, they are usually big budget and products are placed literally everywhere and very obviously too, almost every drink or snack they consume. That’s why I like MHOJD’s PPL style. The obvious PPL are the red bean jellies and the coffee place. Even then it fits very nicely in the storyline, in an un-obtrusive manner. Hopefully they won’t need to do fireworks at the end and have to bring in one of those products you mentioned. I think not likely, seeing how the show has been going so far. :D

Archived