• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@UnniSarah I'm not really up to date with the latest (9 and 10) so there might be something I've missed. But I'm just judging Na Ra on what I've seen so far and on the basis of how the scenes are placed. She seems genuinely distressed to find that photo of the boys and Mi Jung as teenagers. Unless the director is playing tricks with us, I can only assume that she only recently found out about the relationship amongst these 5 individuals.

@40somethingahjumma  I am not up to date on the episode either chingu. I like to keep an open mind on characters in crime drama so the writer's can never trick me too much. I feel that Na Ra is way to nice to have been married and friend to her hubby and still not know their evilness.

I agree with @40somethingahjumma that Na Ra's naivety seems to be genuine. There is another reason why she is not able to perceive the true personality of her husband and his friends. They only showed her what she had to see. In Ho must have asked that from his friends. In Ho loves his wife and he loved her for her personality: honesty, gentleness, sensitive... something MJ was not able to give him. There is a reason why In Ho hid his relationship with MJ from the others for so long... he knew that she was not a good person. Thanks to Na Ra, he had the impression that he was a good person, however at some point it must have burdened him as he wasn't entirely himself all this time. I don't think that In Ho loved MJ, it was just for him an impulsion.  

So the doctor who appeared next to JH, when the latter met CHJ at the hospital, lives in the penthouse. Another strong indication that the doctor could be the one who killed MJ. He had access to the flat without raising suspicion. 

I am more and more convinced that the killer has planned to have the 4 friends betrayed each other in the end. Moreover, he wants to force them to commit crimes so that they can no longer escape punishment. Since someone mentioned Agatha Christie, I thought that this story could be a combination of "And then there were none" and "Murder on the Orient Express".

17 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I am more and more convinced that the killer has planned to have the 4 friends betrayed each other in the end. Moreover, he wants to force them to commit crimes so that they can no longer escape punishment. Since someone mentioned Agatha Christie, I thought that this story could be a combination of "And then there were none" and "Murder on the Orient Express".

This i agree with.. that the real murderer wants these four friends to go against each other.. but maybe i am thinking too simple (would writer want to have such blatant plot) .. it all comes down to that rape.. these four supported each other back then.. so now its all coming back..betray each other

Question is.. who all are related to that girl..

But in all of this.. what is the background story of lead female? or is there none?

after watching ep 9 and 10.. hmm @40somethingahjumma you may be right about nara being genuinely not an interested party in the murder (wrong way)

17 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

This i agree with.. that the real murderer wants these four friends to go against each other.. but maybe i am thinking too simple (would writer want to have such blatant plot) .. it all comes down to that rape.. these four supported each other back then.. so now its all coming back..betray each other

Question is.. who all are related to that girl..

But in all of this.. what is the background story of lead female? or is there none?

after watching ep 9 and 10.. hmm @40somethingahjumma you may be right about nara being genuinely not an interested party in the murder (wrong way)

Not just the 4 friends turn against each other but everyone who has been involved by helping them. MJ played a part in the rape (she gave the drug and acted as a witness). Now, I am wondering if CHJ isn't connected to the rape somehow. 

Interesting..i m looking at the poster..they have all main characters there o think

Top center our cop n lawyer.. top rt to cop is junior cop... left tje 5 friends

Right is interesting..can anyone place all the women shown.

N if old man os dr father or ceo father amongst the 4 friends..

Women- nara is obvious..who r the other two? Felae leads office employee m wife of ceo?r tjey tjat significant

17 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Hello

I just watched the first 5 episodes and I am GLUED to it  - this drama is riveting.   When I catch up I will read current comments on the thread. 

It's amazing how the ratings have doubled since the premiere. 

@maddymappo yup. That was how I felt when I watch  all 8 episodes last week.  Great whodunit crime mystery thriller.  lets enjoy this drama.Yey for the ratings. In Ho still my suspect. I haven't ruled him out...yet

Ooooh I'm more than delighted all my favorite soompiers are here! Hah! we all have good taste  in dramas :tongue:

I'm so happy to see @40somethingahjumma I only just see you in the China thread mostly. I always like reading your thoughts

@larus@bebebisous33@UnniSarah   and others here... so nice to discuss drama scenes and the whole episodes.

I haven't watch episodes yet. I said last week,  once all episodes are sub I'll do the marathon. 11-12 still raw. I think.

So.. @UnniSarah  could Nara be suspect too? I  actually entertained the thought that  Jin Joo, Tae Suk's wife could have done it.. But not Nara.

Well, this show certainly gets more interesting with every episode. I love me an intriguing whodunit and this one seems to be well-written and nicely executed so far. :D

I wasn't sure about LJU's detective at first but bravo... he is really smartening up in recent days especially when he now knows what he's up against and what's needed to get to the bottom of things. I don't care for the hair but at least the brain underneath it seems to be ticking along just fine. It's also good to see the ladies get in on the action too.

There's even less doubt in my mind now (after recent episodes) that someone is leading the investigators in a certain direction without giving away too much. Said person is definitely patient and meticulous. It is an elaborate scheme clearly... a two pronged approach... to get the cops to reinvestigate the 4 men's history and to corner them. I agree with @bebebisous33 that there's definitely a "divide and conquer" angle to this. First get In Ho accused of murder and force him to spill his guts because of the gravity of his charge. Obviously the mastermind isn't wanting Joon Hee dead just yet and of course his so-called friends were trying to kill him so if he ever awakens from his trauma he'll no doubt be a compelling witness. :wink: 

From what I've observed so far, the unknown force behind MJ's murder isn't just content with destroying these four men personally but bringing to public attention whatever shenanigans they've been up to.

It's such a toxic friendship among such a disparate group of people. Their core of their friendship is to cover for each other's misdemeanours and conceal each other's darkest secrets. They share a penthouse where goodness knows what else they get up to there beside assignations and I imagine they feed on one another's darker impulses. OTS in particular seems to thrive and revel in his friends' indiscretions.

In Ho probably has quite a complex relationship with the two women and they represent two sides to himself. Even from NR's memories, it's clear that he's an attentive family man. The fact that he broke off with MJ before he married NR shows that he genuinely wanted to have a real family life that's not tainted by his past. I think he loves NR on some level but what that means to him and to her might mean different things. Obviously something happened a year ago to change the status quo. She seemed to content to play the devoted housewife and mother but maybe he wanted more from her than that. Infidelity isn't something that happens overnight so I'm thinking that their marriage had problems that neither of them faced up to some time prior to that. We haven't heard that In Ho is a sexual predator so I'm assuming that MJ was his only means of channelling certain impulses that he couldn't with NR. I think he liked being NR in part because she gave him a veneer of respectability which brought out the better part of himself. With MJ, he could be Hyde to NR's Jekyll. 

https://www.soompi.com/2018/02/01/return-soa

rs-highest-ratings-ever-plot-thickens/

Return” Soars With Its Highest Ratings Ever As Plot Thickens

Shin-Sung-Rok-Go-Hyun-Jung.jpg

SBS’s Wednesday-Thursday drama “Return” continues to increase in ratings and captivates audiences.

See Also: Go Hyun Jung And Lee Jin Wook Stare Each Other Down In Tense Stand-Off On "Return"

According to ratings research company Nielsen Korea, the most recent episodes recorded 15.8 percent (nationwide 14.2 percent) and 17.7 percent (nationwide 16 percent) ratings. “Return” came in first place while KBS2’s “Black Knight” received 9.1 percent ratings and MBC’s remastered “Behind the White Tower” got 2.3 and 2.6 percent ratings respectively.

“Return” reached a peak of 18.9 percent ratings during the episode. Furthermore, the drama is leading in 2049 ratings (ratings targeting individuals who are 20 to 49 years old) and received 6.5 percent and 7.6 percent ratings in this category. “Black Knight” received 3.5 percent and the remastered version of “Behind the White Tower” got 1.2 and 1.1 percent ratings respectively.

Spoilers

On February 1, the drama aired episodes 11 and 12 which started with Detective Dok Go Young (Lee Jin Wook) and lawyer Ja Hye (Go Hyun Jung) finding out where Joon Hee (Yoon Jong Hoon) is located.

However, a man wearing a black hat kidnaps Joon Hee and prevents Dok Go Young from being able to find him. Fortunately, Ja Hye is able to recover Joon Hee from the kidnapper and takes him to a hospital. Meanwhile, Na Ra (Jung Eun Chae) visits the wine bar and imagines the past love between her husband In Ho (Park Ki Woong) and his murdered girlfriend (Han Eun Jung).

After Tae Seok (Shin Sung Rok) and Hak Beom (Bong Tae Kyu) get blackmailed by a car dealer who demands 2 billion won (approximately $1.8 million) and threatens to release the contents of an incriminating black box. This results in Hak Beom shooting the car dealer with a taser gun and Tae Seok ends up shooting him with a rifle.

Catch the latest episode with the highest ratings below!

@bebebisous33,  I mentioned the Agatha Christie part :D, in fact my wife is the one who told me that.

I still can't write off Nara from my suspicious list though she may be at the very bottom list. I also agree that there must be someone who set up things behind the scene and he/she must have a very deep wrath towards the 4 sicken friends and the safest strategy is orchestrating that they will start questioning each other and break them apart. For this he/she will need the support of those who to a certain degree have personal reason to get back to these 4. It could be the girls being raped father/mother/grandfather.

This is the 1st time I see LJW's drama, so far I think he is OK and I am not surprised for the rating, GHJ is an actress who normally will only sign on if the script is challenging and well written.

So it's 4 half hour episodes a week? That's better than I thought. I take back my rant from the other day. :D 

I'm all up to date with the latest episodes now and the show continues to be decently paced and chugs along confidently. So far the writer and director both seem to be in control of the material and steering the audience accordingly. I like how the progression of events are unfolding. Of course the show doesn't give too much away but reveals just enough to explain certain things and keep the audience guessing while returning for more. But the ubiquitous doctor, KJS who shows up everywhere that Na Ra goes is definitely someone to watch. Obviously he knows things but what's his motive and relationship to these people? I'm warming up to Lawyer Choi. Didn't think much of her at first... she seemed to look perpetually bleary eyed and in desperate need of sleep but she can't be getting much quality rest living out of her office and having odd dreams. :wink:

The two remaining friends roaming around freely are busy protecting their own hide although it does seem as if they're complicating things unnecessarily and making things worse for themselves from the moment they found MJ's body in the back of the car leaving a trail of more bodies behind them. It would hardly be surprising if the unknown perp knew exactly that would be the case... because that's their history: doing terrible things without wanting to suffer the consequences.

The crazy ambulance chase had me wondering if Young would end up with both arms broken or all of his limbs. The guy is doggedly nuts but apparently effective. :D

@titania1000  Don't you think that's the point of MJ's murder? :wink: I don't think we're supposed to care at all. If anything, there's a "she deserves it" feeling about it all. Aside from those investigating, none of those who are at the centre of this are likeable at all. K HakBum and OTS are such terrible human beings that one is tempted to root for the unknown perp for no other reason than for helping them tie themselves into knots all the way to the gallows. :D 

Hi @jongski How are you dear? I just can't see how In Ho would be the person behind this. It's such an unnecessarily elaborate and painful way of announcing that he was having an affair. :wink: 

Omg, each time Hak beom is onscreen he always makes my blood boil with his violent temper. And Oh Tae suk....he is just creepy when he smiles n snides, how he changes his expressions so fast when in front of Nara, Ja hye n everyone else who didn’t know him well. At least JH can see that he’s pretending to be good.

That Kim Jong su doctor(did I get his name right?)....he sure has things to hide, hope Nara will try to find out about him soon. 

23 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

which dream is everyone talking about.. i can't recall this scene..can someone tell me the episode (which half an hour episode.. )

I am not sure in which episode (either 7 or 8). CHJ dreamt that she was drowning and while falling down, there was a fire under her. 

After watching the last episode, it really seems that CJH is hiding something: the way she stood close to the cliff and even lied to NR. I am now wondering if CJH offered her the job in order to have her eyes opened: NR is getting more and more disappointed by her husband and friends. 

The doctor KJS is on the top of my suspect list: first the name reminds us of the name of raped student. Secondly, he lives in the same building where MJ was, hence he had the means to do it. Besides, since he was working close to HJ, he could observe him and his friends (have access to his cellphone f. ex.). Since In Ho was not involved directly in the rape, I sense that this could have been the reason why IH was just turned into the main suspect. I suspect that for OTS, it was different. Maybe OTS was the one who organized the party... HB and HJ had just returned from abroad.  

On 1/28/2018 at 2:49 AM, heyho5502 said:

Can someone enlighted me of TS’s wife?, how could he OK of having his best friend having an affair with his wife?.  How about if she is not as dumb and useless as she is being pictured in these 8 episodes?. 

That dining party scene was really disturbing. 

Kang Young Eun mentions to Kim  Hak Beom  before they engage in impulsive sex, that her husband TS  doesn't look at her that way (lustful) - So I am thinking that OTS is gay.   If so, he may have a male lover.  Could it be that KIH is bi-sexual? and also having affair with him? Or, who else?   Thinking, OTS killed MJ because he was jealous of her involvement with IH.

The wine bar was a gift to MJ from OTS's father (please correct me if I am wrong, there was a mention MJ was involved with one of the father's of the four who gave her the wine bar).    Her father was a chauffeur - where is he in all this?  No mention of her parents after she died and we don't see her funeral.

Other suspicious characters - we would like to know more about

• The wine bar lady.  What's her deal?

• The doctor who is caring for Joon Hee and also had MJ's painting - Kim Jung Soo.  He certainly would know how to administer an injection.  But who is he really? 

• Kang Young-Eun ( does anyone know if she is KIH's sister - probably not, she is not visiting him in prison and doesn't act like a SIL to Na-ra?).   What's her deal? Her husband neglects her and she did seem really upset about Joon Hee.  Does she have the stomach to kill so coldly?

• An Hak Soo -  old veteran police detective? He asks who is working on the case and  immediately goes to Dokgo Young's desk and grabs the report.   (Asking you all for memory) - was he the one who interviewed the victim (young girl) and Hak Beom (the accused) while they were together - completely contrary to basic police investigation protocol?   Not sure if it was him because the interviewer looked much younger. Just found the scene episode 10 - yes An Hak Soo was the detective interviewing HB and girl he raped and sadistically abused.  Also JH also accused of rapping her - victim must have given statement - although he was drugged up.  Her name was Kim Hyun Soo - so also possible doctor Kim Jung Soo  is blood related.   Also,  he would be able to catch KDB - taking bribes (knowing the usual suspects from the district) and blackmail him into assisting with the body exchange.  - but that depends on who he is working for.

• The police chief who asked to speak to An Hak Soo in the lounge

On 1/28/2018 at 12:40 PM, bebebisous33 said:

@jongski To me, our heroine Choi HJ seems to be linked to the 4 boys due to the nightmare. She is suffering from amnesia but she doesn't know it. Like I wrote before, I see some parallels between the nightmare (drowning, fire) and the way MJ was killed (drowning and poison).

The murderer wanted her to suffer... it is painful, when you inject something into the muscle and not the vein. This person must have some knowledge about injection in my opinion. 

I agree with you completely on these points.  When the police showed her the video of when JH was kidnapped, she said she thought the masked man seemed familiar to her.   There was also a masked man who followed her in the garage. And the person who did video of  drilling her name desk plate. Why was he following her then?  Is she still being tailed?  Perhaps someone she implicated on her show. There is a mystery about CHJ - something happened to her in her past, a great injustice perhaps.  That has led her to be the famed investigator on Tv.   Was  that injustice the negligence or the willful obstruction of justice by police?

At this point I find the doctor KJS the most suspicious to me because of his medical knowledge, intelligence and could plot and scheme.  He would know about the nursing home where a patient could be hidden.  The big  question is his motive which leads us to the four "friends"

All four of this group TS, HB, HJ, and MJ -  are deeply flawed personalities. 

TS and HB appear to be psychopaths. HB goes into uncontrollable rages (which seems to exonerate him from MJ's murder which was calculated),  He is also a sadist, but acts impulsively. He is a bad planner. He brought the car to be sold and didn't think of removing the camera history.

TS seems to lack all empathy and is calculating - cold blooded, true psychopath. What was the motive to kill MJ? - maybe jealousy.  (if he did kill her)  Could be he loves IH. 

HJ seems the most sympathetic although he may also have raped the 17 year old girl ?- or was he so high on drugs and just out of it at the time?   His softer personality though made him easy pray for MJ to addict him. He seems to have some conscience and was going to try to defend his friend IH.   

IH - very immature and selfish. His sobbing in the prison before his wife - quite sickening.  His words to MJ about her being his toilet bowl, was also sickening. Yet he seems to love his wife and what she represents and his child - they are idyllic considering his status in the world. The wife, brilliant, successful (when she was at top law firm), beautiful and gentle and and refined.   But he was lusting after MJ, the chauffeur's dgtr who sold drugs.   Could be she blackmailed him about going to his wife, and that is why he may have come back to the penthouse and killed her.  (another theory).  

MJ - precocious as a girl, she seduces men, sells addictive drugs and commits adultery.  No conscience . Testified to help friends avoid rape conviction. 

I agree with you all that someone is out to trap and drag down all four of them. 

The most suspicious character for me is the doc as a possible culprit, but the most mysterious one is no doubt CHJ. Every time she appears, I can't help but think that there's so much more to her than what we see on the surface. She seems to know those 4 friends a little bit too well, even before the murder. And how convenient was her party, which ultimately led NR to hire her. Then she suddenly ends up a member of the shooting club that TS frequents. Most of all she knows all too well how to handle each of the 4 friends as if she had previous encounters with them and studied them well. It all seems a bit too suspicious. What a twist it would be if she was the mastermind or was working together with the culprit. :lol: Anyways, CHJ is indeed captivating as a character, the actress steals the show whenever she appears. 

I have just thought some more about Joon Hee. We cannot count him out as the murderer.  MJ was supplying him with drugs and he was desperate. She was playing with him.  He is also a doctor and could have injected her etc.  Although he seems unlikely because he wanted to get IH off the hook - implicating himself and his friends - he could have been feeling remorse about IH.    He was also accused of raping that young girl - although we only see him in a drugged stupor. We don't know if he also participated in the sadism. 

Archived