[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Congratulations to Park Hae Young Writernim :star:

A very well deserved awards.

For me personally, one of MA's charms is its non flowery dialogue. Yes, there are some dramatization, because it is a drama, but nothing over the top. Even when the conversation was covering a heavy topic (like between PDH and Monk, or when the brothers doing their drunken musings at Jung Hee's bar).

And the central of this drama, PDH and LJA talks. I wish there are more of them... Their talks were deep and meaningful but still felt very real.

But, I got this conclusion only by reading the subtitles, since I don't know Korean language (except the standard saranghamnida Lee Sun Kyun nim). 

I love to read and sometimes I wish I could speak many foreign languages so I can read a book in its original language. Because there are things that must be lost in the translation. 

In this case, I wish I could speak Korean, so if there's ever a possibility I could get my hands on MA's script, I could read it in its original language.

Spoiler

• Like 5

I’m so happy to see all this award’s recognition to the beloved drama,,the latest this AAA for Lee Ji Eun, congratz!

and now I see that even more actors/actress recognized My Ajusshi as the best drama (the latest, SooYoung SNSD), that is something I found as interesting..remember when during the airing there was an actor got backlash just because he praised My Ajusshi?? Somehow I was a bit upset that my beloved drama only now is fully praised, while during its airing got many negative comments and reactions from knetz, since I couldn’t help thinking what could have been, if there was no negative reactions during its airing, we might get the *obvious* happy ending for Dong Hoon and Ji An, dang it! hahaa,,sorry for my rant, well I guess better late than never for more people to recognize and love this drama, I should be grateful still, right?

anyway, this year I’m grateful for having My Ajusshi, what a drama-watching experience, but even more, what a slice of life lesson it was! I fully agreed with @justamom in her note for her last update in the fanfic, because for me too the slice of life lesson in My Ajusshi kept giving me strength, and warmth, during my own ups and downs lately, and not many drama I would give such credits. 

The drama’s lasting impression has also affected me on seeing some location as a possible alternate for My Ajusshi’s, couple weeks ago I was in Sydney, and one evening I walked through Pyrmont Bridge near the Darling Harbour, and I really see the bridge as the place of JiAn crying while listening to Dong Hoon fight with Kwang Il, oh my mind messed with my heart! :lol:

Right, I’m leaving for now, back to gazing that scene where Dong Hoon slowly walk beside Ji An after she praised him as a truly good person, with the OST in the background,,aaghh, I miss you two! :bawling:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, widala said:

My Ahjussi scripts...

Where did this person get them?

I don't think this is the version that is promised to come with the Blu-ray because I haven't heard any release news yet. Maybe someone from the production got hold of a copy and shared it with this instagram owner? This person could get in trouble with the PD. So curious to see what emotions DH is instructed to convey towards JA as written on the script.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

So curious to see what emotions DH is instructed to convey towards JA as written on the script.

Me too.

Like in Episode 9, when they stared at each other from across the street

PDH : (stare at LJA, longingly? Curiously? Just don't blink and let's play with the audience's feelings?)

Also PDH's many "..." lines. 

How it's really written in the script? Do they have more instructions added?

So much to discover...

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

We may be seeing IU's return to dramaland much sooner than later after My Ajusshi. 

IU eyes a new Hong sister project for her comeback,

by tineybeanie

iu_honghong.jpeg

On December 4, IU’s (My Ajusshi) agency revealed that she had received an offer to star in the Hong sisters’ next project. However, she’s received a lot of other scripts as well, and hasn’t made her final decision.

The Hong sisters (Hong Jung-eun and Hong Mi-ran) are a screenwriting power sibling duo, who have been known for classic Hallyu hits like My Girl and cult favorites like You’re Beautiful. Their most recent work was Hwayugi, a fantasy rom-com adaptation of Ming dynasty Chinese novel Journey to the West starring Lee Seung-gi and Cha Seung-won.

Read the rest: http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/12/iu-eyes-a-new-hong-sister-project-for-her-comeback/

50 minutes ago, ccl82 said:

Man I miss this forum. 

I miss all the old regulars, too. :tears:

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

More awards for 'My Ahjussi'. Yay!! Very well deserved. Thanks to everyone for posting the updates and photos/videos.

For those wishing to participate in a Fan vote please go to koreandrama.org They have a vote for Best Drama of 2018. Apparently 'My Mister' got through the preliminary round to the final voting of Top 8 dramas. Currently it is next to last in votes with 364 or so votes (just behind 'Mr. Sunshine'). The first place has more than 6000 votes. You can vote once a day until the end of December. Let's help move our drama up the rankings!

• Like 6

There is a television commercial in the US for SimpliSafe that talks about 'hygge' (the Danish and Norwegian term for comfort in a family home).  I immediately thought of the beautiful composition that was posted here regarding HoogyHugye by @africandramalover. Did the writers of the ad read this forum or our fansite? I was so excited when I saw that ad.

I have watched several new kdramas in the past few months. Good shows to pass the time but nothing like MA so far. I did like 'The Beauty Inside'. It gave a different perspective to love because the male character cannot recognize faces (done before in another drama) and the female character changes into another person's body once a month for about a week. It was heartwarming to see how the male lead 'recognized' the female lead even when she wasn't 'herself' and how she felt that someone really 'knew' her for the first time since this started happening to her. Even if you don't watch the whole thing try to watch episode 9. It was touching and funny. The best episode of the series. The final episode was not satisfying (except for one scene at the beach) although it was the ending I was hoping for.

The new show 'The Encounter' has caught my eye. It seems promising. And so does 'Fates and Furies'. 'Twelve Nights' putters along slowly and the pacing reminds me of MA. There are time jumps of 5 and 3 years where the main leads don't seem to contact each other but still have feelings for each other. Hard to believe but I keep watching to see what happens.

'

• Like 5

On 12/5/2018 at 4:37 AM, popai5 said:

There is a television commercial in the US for SimpliSafe that talks about 'hygge' (the Danish and Norwegian term for comfort in a family home).  I immediately thought of the beautiful composition that was posted here regarding HoogyHugye by @africandramalover. Did the writers of the ad read this forum or our fansite? I was so excited when I saw that ad.

I have watched several new kdramas in the past few months. Good shows to pass the time but nothing like MA so far. I did like 'The Beauty Inside'. It gave a different perspective to love because the male character cannot recognize faces (done before in another drama) and the female character changes into another person's body once a month for about a week. It was heartwarming to see how the male lead 'recognized' the female lead even when she wasn't 'herself' and how she felt that someone really 'knew' her for the first time since this started happening to her. Even if you don't watch the whole thing try to watch episode 9. It was touching and funny. The best episode of the series. The final episode was not satisfying (except for one scene at the beach) although it was the ending I was hoping for.

The new show 'The Encounter' has caught my eye. It seems promising. And so does 'Fates and Furies'. 'Twelve Nights' putters along slowly and the pacing reminds me of MA. There are time jumps of 5 and 3 years where the main leads don't seem to contact each other but still have feelings for each other. Hard to believe but I keep watching to see what happens.

'

I like encounter as my next series . People are complaining that it’s slow but that’s the beauty of such dramas. Slow, melancholy and it takes you to a different world. 

What is fates and furies about ?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

Reveal hidden contents

New song featuring our Korean Disney princess release today!

Bonus. So we can appreciate IU Team who stick by IU side when IU was going through difficult time.

I noticed that LSK recently talked about My Mister and his award from Korean Culture on KBS2 TV. Do you mind to upload it or perhaps anyone who understand Korean resuming it for us (non-Korean speaking background)?

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4

On 12/8/2018 at 9:09 AM, roseariel said:

I noticed that LSK recently talked about My Mister and his award from Korean Culture on KBS2 TV. Do you mind to upload it or perhaps anyone who understand Korean resuming it for us (non-Korean speaking background)?

Here's the interview

YouTube link

https://youtu.be/vJdUfItso9Y

But, no subtitles or translation yet :tears:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, roseariel said:

Hi @roseariel

These two articles seem to have what you are looking for. Unfortunately our resident Korean speakers have moved on, so you'd have to rely on google translate:

http://www.slist.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=55997#09Pr

http://www.speconomy.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=131525

From what I could gather, he probably was talking about how frustrating it was to portray Dong Hoon the character, because he is repressed and shows so little emotion. Here's an excerpt from LSK and IU's only interview together, the one they did for the Japanese release of My Ajusshi:

LSK: (in a small voice) The truth is, I couldn’t grasp my character very well at the start, hahaha. The director said to act what was in the script, but that was extremely frustrating. Whether it was my expressions or delivering my lines, it required me to do nothing which was confusing.

From the viewer’s point of view Dong Hoon did feel a little frustrating.

LSK:  I who was playing Dong Hoon was the most frustrated. (wry smile)

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/08/07/iu-dong-hoons-first-smile-made-me-want-to-cry/

• Like 6

3 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@sadiesmithThanks for helping me. You're so kind. I love My Mister and curious about the interview. What attracted me to watch it were merely because of the story line and (of course) the oozing chemistry between the leads (LSK & IU). I've watched many K-Dramas and was quite taken aback by this unlikely pairing. In my opinion, if only he were single or they didn't have a large age gap issue, then maybe we would see them working together in another project (as leads). 

Edited by roseariel
  • Like 5