[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

5 hours ago, roseariel said:

@sadiesmithThanks for helping me. You're so kind. I love My Mister and curious about the interview. What attracted me to watch it were merely because of the story line and (of course) the oozing chemistry between the leads (LSK & IU). I've watched many K-Dramas and was quite taken aback by this unlikely pairing. In my opinion, if only he were single or they didn't have a large age gap issue, then maybe we would see them working together in another project (as leads). 

@roseariel, it's safe to say many of us were shocked by how well this pairing worked and how flawless this drama is. Did you just watch it recently?

I was thinking again to what LSK confessed about the difficulty expressing the expressionless Dong Hoon. It's a testament to his amazing skills that Park Dong Hoon did not come out wooden at all.

@dotonly, this was the first time LSK was asked about My Ajusshi in an interview in South Korea. I wonder if it was so short because they're still being super careful about avoiding any controversies.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I was thinking again to what LSK confessed about the difficulty expressing the expressionless Dong Hoon. It's a testament to his amazing skills that Park Dong Hoon did not come out wooden at all.

Thanks @sadiesmith

I was wondering why the director worry about his "wrinkle" (in the video he touched his forehead between his eyebrows) and his "irritated image"... But reading your post, I kind of understand the meaning.

In his other projects he tended to emoting his characters animatedly, often lifting his eyebrows that made his forehead wrinkled. But in MA, PDH's forehead was always (cmiiw) smooth, well maybe just a few lines between the eyebrows when he was very emotional, like when LJA confessed to him in ep 10...

Could it be that PDH's "wipe forehead" gesture is LSK unconsciously checking if his forehead wrinkled? Haha no, just kidding...

I love the little habitual gestures LSK added to make PDH more alive...

15 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@dotonly, this was the first time LSK was asked about My Ajusshi in an interview in South Korea. I wonder if it was so short because they're still being super careful about avoiding any controversies

Now that you've mentioned it, it was his first tv interview after MA, wasn't it? 

Elle awards interview was just a few seconds, and the other interviews to promote PMC he did with HJW, so I don't think those really count...

Are the people in SK still bothered by controversies? About the age gap thing? After all these months and those awards?

I mean there are other drama leads with large age gap with obvious romantic notion...

It's funny that people keep saying that MA is just a healing drama with platonic relationship between the leads, but bothered by the pairing. It's like they kind of admitted that there are something more between PDH and LJA than just friends....

What's more funny is these negative sentiments seems to leak off screen.

No interviews or photoshoot like they did for Japanese audiences. No attending award show together. No selfies or sending supportive coffe trucks. Like, LSK and LJE are not allowed to be in the same place together unless 15.000 other people are with them...

Sorry, I'm rambling. Maybe I'm just overreacted...

Anyway...

Spoiler

Have you guys seen Oh Na Ra (Jung Hee) new drama "Skycastle"?

It's a very good drama. The story tells about rich families who are obsessed about their children education, they would do almost anything even sacrificing the happiness of the children.

The veteran actors are good and the rookies who played the children (middle school and high school) are also good.

Recommended :thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@roseariel, it's safe to say many of us were shocked by how well this pairing worked and how flawless this drama is. Did you just watch it recently?

@dotonly, this was the first time LSK was asked about My Ajusshi in an interview in South Korea. I wonder if it was so short because they're still being super careful about avoiding any controversies.

@sadiesmith No, I watched it as the same time as it was aired on TV. Actually, I picked MM randomly and end up falling in love with. I'm sorry to say this, but I've observed some of interviews from LSK that he stated he is usually don't treat his juniors special. Besides, he was kinda awkward in attending award ceremony with his female co-stars in the past (I assumed he is more comfortable with his wife since he's married). So, I guess this has been set up too (LSK & IU not attending any awards together or doing any photoshoot/interview post MM) to avoid unnecessary rumours and people will forget it soon after they landed with new project respectively. To be honest, have you ever watched award ceremony attending by co-stars arm-in-arm with large age gap issue in Korea? Even Mr. Sunshine co-stars also have never attended award ceremony together. 

Edited by roseariel
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, roseariel said:

@sadiesmith No, I watched it as the same time as it was aired on TV. Actually, I picked MM randomly and end up falling in love with. I'm sorry to say this, but I've observed some of interviews from LSK that he stated he is usually don't treat his juniors special. Besides, he was kinda awkward in attending award ceremony with his female co-stars in the past (I assumed he is more comfortable with his wife since he's married). So, I guess this has been set up too (LSK & IU not attending any awards together or doing any photoshoot/interview post MM) to avoid unnecessary rumours and people will forget it soon after they landed with new project respectively. To be honest, have you ever watched award ceremony attending by co-stars arm-in-arm with large age gap issue in Korea? Even Mr. Sunshine co-stars also have never attended award ceremony together. 

No, I don't expect IU and LSK to ever attend anything arm-in-arm, nor do I wish to see it necessarily. But it would be nice if everyone (including Park Ho San, Oh Nara, KWS, writer) gets a nomination in the upcoming Baeksang and attends the ceremony. I think the only age-gap couples we would be seeing in the future ceremonies are the Pretty Noona couple and the Encounter couple. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

No, I don't expect IU and LSK to ever attend anything arm-in-arm, nor do I wish to see it necessarily. But it would be nice if everyone (including Park Ho San, Oh Nara, KWS, writer) gets a nomination in the upcoming Baeksang and attends the ceremony. I think the only age-gap couples we would be seeing in the future ceremonies are the Pretty Noona couple and the Encounter couple. 

@sadiesmith But, wait, If I'm not mistaken, Yoona Lim and Lee Beom Soo (Prime Minister & I) had attended award ceremony together in the past. They won "something" award (I don't clearly remember what it was). They have a large age gap yet done kissing scenes. How could they won Korean audience's heart? LOL...

Edited by roseariel
  • Like 5

Goodness me, is that the elusive My Ajusshi script?? I swiped and seen the hanja I couldn’t read at all, agghh! what does the one page script say? anyone??

I mean, I really really want to know what the script said about EVERYTHING, I admit I even care less that it could bring trouble to the poster if PD KWS knows it has been posted without his approval, hahaa..

*waiting for another post on the script ;)

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

@riazni i know very little about Korean. I can see there are Kibeom and Bong ae name on second pic and the last pic (T T) there are Ji An, Dong Hoon and Joon Young.

Dont know which ep is this (1 or 2) but i think i remember these scenes. It was late at the office. DH and JA dialog: DH wants to bought food for JA but JA said she doesnt hungry. (Sorry i can only understand this far). 

Next is dialog between JA and JY.

50 minutes ago, riazni said:

Goodness me, is that the elusive My Ajusshi script?? I swiped and seen the hanja I couldn’t read at all, agghh! what does the one page script say? anyone??

I mean, I really really want to know what the script said about EVERYTHING, I admit I even care less that it could bring trouble to the poster if PD KWS knows it has been posted without his approval, hahaa..

*waiting for another post on the script ;)

That one-page script? I managed to "read" the first half to be a scene between Ji An and Dong Hoon, and the bottom half to be between Ji An and Joon Young. The other page is between Ki-beom and grandma. I guess there's nothing to see here after all. Hahaha...

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, widala said:

Just for fun :D

The Dramabeans staff doing the Bean Count for 2018 dramas and My Ahjussi got the most beans!

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/12/2018-year-in-review-part-1-the-bean-count/

Yay

That's a huge chunk of the pie of ~50 dramas, bigger than the winners from the other two years they did this Bean Count thing. The comments section is full of love for MA, too.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was watching a movie some time ago, if I am not wrong it was Jeon Do-Yeon's movie from 2008, My Dear Enemy... They were at a location that looked suspiciously like a building in My Mister. Early in the drama, there's a building that PDH and his brothers talk about, the one that was built to curve with the path of a river. This shot from the movie looks like a shot from the other end of that street in MA. Am I dreaming?

48359097_10156486368560412_3724624247868

Spoiler

Edit: I found the scene from MA. episode4 around 37.07 Mark. PDH and his team are walking home and he talks about the building being made in 1974 like him...

48255918_10156486989665412_2845305023443

48020581_10156486989410412_8271824188499

48266866_10156486989505412_5624403345063

It's finally holiday time... I've curled up on my sofa with my laptop and I'm bravely rewatching MA and taking notes. I got to episode 2 yesterday before I felt overwhelmed again and had to stop. LOL!!! Going back in for another two episodes.

From the dramas I'm watching currently, Encounter is walking the line between becoming an overhyped cliche or a good comeback drama. I watch it while worrying it will fail but I am a sucker for love so I will persist. However, I strongly, STRONGLY recommend SKY Castle. It's gonna be my second best drama for 2018 already. Awesome plot, awesome characters, awesome actors, crazy comedy and a serious topic.... Highly recommended.

@Joseph Lim, do you have the vLive link of the TV writer's award event?

Spoiler

EDIT2: At episode 4 around 54:40 as the two adulterers share some pillow talk, there's a song playing in the background.... was it ever mentioned Here? It's a French song that speaks to their situation...

Éblouie par la nuit- Dazzled by the night (by Zaz)

Dazzled by the night with mortal lights,
to graze cars, eyes like pinheads,
I waited for you a hundred years in the streets in black and white;
You came whistling.

to shoot the cans, as lost as a ship.
If I lost my head, I loved you and even worse;
You came whistling.

Dazzled by the night with mortal lights.
Should we love life or just watch it pass?
From our nights of smoke, there is almost nothing left,
as ashes in the morning.

At this subway filled with vertigo of life,
at the next station, little European,
put your hand down, lower it below my heart.

a last lap with death at the end.
I waited for you a hundred years in the black and white streets;
You came whistling.

I think someone in production was given the sole responsibility to look for music that would fit every scene and add to the story,and they did a brilliant job!

@popai5 there's something about that hoogye/hygge thing.... in episode 4 from around 1:17:40 when the gang race to JungHee's reopened bar, they make a cheer thst includes the word Hoogye as they click their glasses. The cheer is translated into "Let's empty our glasses".....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Wonder to people who insist to spilled out bad words  about  my mister story or tried hard to down grade the actor who act in it while six month after this drama ended there were stil many award and acknowledgement come through and through.

Well, some people maybe oversimplify the weight of ordinary relationship like we watched in my mister that's way sometime we forgot every beautiful  moment in each ordinary day we live in.

Blessed us whom  enjoy this drama, immersed in the such precious relationship get tears up,hold an anguish, desperate in love and at the end fainding settlement in various feelings. 

Maybe this drama is not beautiful in term of romanticism but when we look carefully our live so relevant with all motley issues in my mister story.

But to people who are in the periphery of money and luxurious they might could not understand the essence of this wonderful ordinary story.

Thank you to writernim to write an ordinary story.

Thank you to PDnim who direct an memorable drama.

Thank you for all actor who act in it.

Thank you for all my mister team for a master piece of art.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1