[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

2 hours ago, widala said:

@roseariel, Lee Sun Kyun talked about MA in this interview

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002865322&lfrom=twitter

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=421&aid=0003754105&lfrom=twitter

I can pretty much guess what he was saying using Google translate and Papago, but if any of this forum member could translate it better, that would be great... (Sorry for tagging you @justamom)

Photos from the interview

@widalaafter read all his statement about My Ahjussi, I felt relieved somehow. I guess it's also the right time for me to bid farewell to this epic drama. Hopefully, someday we can see another meaningful drama like this with strong chemistry but no skinship ;) Okay..last but not least, Happy Holidays, everyone!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 6

Here are two more write-ups discussing his thought and anxiety over the controversy:

http://viewers.heraldcorp.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=25032

http://star.mk.co.kr/v2/view.php?sc=40100044&year=2018&no=800410

Body image

Wish everyone here a very happy end of the year and a very bright one ahead. You've all made 2018 quite a memorable year for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

More Dramabeans drama review

On My Ahjussi

Of course, their tragic connection to each other through their similarly depressing lives is what brought them together in the end. Their beautiful relationship was absolutely heart-warming to watch unfold. In a way, they were able to find something great in what was an otherwise crushing existence, and they were able to brighten each others’ lives as a result.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/12/2018-year-in-review-sifting-through-mediocrity/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2018 at 7:50 AM, sadiesmith said:

Here are two more write-ups discussing his thought and anxiety over the controversy:

http://viewers.heraldcorp.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=25032

http://star.mk.co.kr/v2/view.php?sc=40100044&year=2018&no=800410

Thank you for posting those. I don't have the time to translate them in detail, but they both say similar things.

It says that he was frustrated and apprehensive because "arrows of criticism" were pointed at the show from the very beginning due to the age difference. He thought about explaining it to the public, but they would only sound like excuses.

He decided that the only solution was to do his best to show "truth" (or "sincerity") and the truth would eventually reach the audience. He felt that by the time the show ended, he, and the show, had succeeded in doing that, so he was happy.

--

I miss you all! Happy New Year and I hope everyone has a happy, healthy, wonderful 2019!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This has been a fantastic year for me, as I rediscovered Kdramas and South Korea thanks mostly to My Mister. 

Have a fantastic 2019, squad. 

P.S: Watching and loving Alhambra, have ditched Encounter.

• Like 6

For me, 2018 is My Ahjussi.

I've never been so mesmerized by a drama before. I have favorite dramas, of course, but My Ahjussi is on a whole different level. The writing, the directing, the acting, every aspect of this drama somehow came together perfectly resulting a masterpiece.

And most importantly, the life lessons... I've learned a lot from My Ahjussi, about life, about love, about human...

My Ahjussi had inspired me to strive to be a better person (still a long way to go though :sweatingbullets:)

Thanks for all the members of this forum for sharing the love for My Ahjussi :heart:

• Like 7

My Ajusshi wins Best Drama and Best Director in Dramabeans Editors' Pick. It also gets Honorable Mentions in many other categories. Of course I totally think LSK should have gotten the Best Actor pick and Park Hae Young for Best Writing and all the rest, but I am sure they tried to not give every category win to My Ajusshi. :)

2018 Editors’ Picks

BEST DRAMA

pick_myasjusshi1.jpg

My Ajusshi

girlfriday: I can’t exactly describe watching My Ajusshi as a pleasurable experience, because it was so much more complex than that—an emotionally cathartic, deeply raw, sometimes painful journey through the darkest and loneliest moments of everyday life. It was a story about how tenuous human connection can be, and yet how a seemingly tenuous connection can alter the course of your life in profound ways. The simmering emotions underneath the carefully restrained performances were the highlight of the series, and in particular a surprise from IU, who kept me on her side despite playing a deeply troubled young woman who lashed out at others and herself at every turn. The whole time I was struck by how characters acted like real people—in all their embarrassing, unsexy, mundane glory—and the most important things were left unsaid, just like real life. Nothing about My Ajusshi was neat or satisfying in the way that dramas usually solve all problems and let us move on, but the beauty of the unspoken connection and bittersweet longing will linger with us that much longer, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Honorable Mentions
Hundred Million Stars From the Sky

BEST DIRECTING

picks.myajusshi2.jpg

My Ajusshi

odilettante: Kim Won-seok is no stranger to our end-of-year Editors’ Picks, we voted him Best Director in 2014 for Misaeng and again in 2016 for Signal. So it should be no surprise to see his name once more, this time for My Ajusshi. His unique skill as a director is stripping bare the mundane, yet at the same time elevating the boringly brutal (or brutally boring) everyday life. Characters embrace the silence—their subtle reactions to the world they inhabit is more than enough to reveal their true selves. Sometimes their world is bleak and full of despair, like Ji-an mutely trudging up a hill in the middle of the night, pushing her grandmother in a shopping cart. And sometimes their world is filled with small moments of wonder and joy, such as running just fast enough to catch the last subway train. Kim Won-seok expertly interweaves a mild sense of absurdity with harsh reality, causing the viewer to persistently search the shadows for the flicker of light and ray of hope, reassured that these are just fictional characters on a screen and not the manifestation of one’s own daily struggle to exist.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When I read girlfriday's words in the Best Drama category, it struck me that she herself was one of the many who feel the strong attraction between the main characters beyond the platonic kind:

girlfriday: 

I can’t exactly describe watching My Ajusshi as a pleasurable experience, because it was so much more complex than that—an emotionally cathartic, deeply raw, sometimes painful journey through the darkest and loneliest moments of everyday life. It was a story about how tenuous human connection can be, and yet how a seemingly tenuous connection can alter the course of your life in profound ways. The simmering emotions underneath the carefully restrained performances were the highlight of the series, and in particular a surprise from IU, who kept me on her side despite playing a deeply troubled young woman who lashed out at others and herself at every turn. The whole time I was struck by how characters acted like real people—in all their embarrassing, unsexy, mundane glory—and the most important things were left unsaid, just like real life. Nothing about My Ajusshi was neat or satisfying in the way that dramas usually solve all problems and let us move on, but the beauty of the unspoken connection and bittersweet longing will linger with us that much longer, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

My Ajusshi wins Best Drama and Best Director in Dramabeans Editors' Pick. It also gets Honorable Mentions in many other categories. Of course I totally think LSK should have gotten the Best Actor pick and Park Hae Young for Best Writing and all the rest, but I am sure they tried to not give every category win to My Ajusshi. :)

LSK got looked over again as the Best Actor :tears:...

But like you said @sadiesmith, maybe they just tried to spread the love... And a lot of commenters also thought LSK deserves the Best Actor.

I laughed when My Ahjussi get Honorable Mention for Unrequited Love category (who said the love was unrequited? hahaha)

Happy New Year, guys!

• Like 4

SO PROUD for MA Never ending recognition and award till year end at least the quibble in early project blooms in depth arguable fruitful with plenty of achievement 

Bravo to all whom involved with MA drama project.

An masterpieces of art work:heart:

IMG-20190101-095920.jpg

• Like 5