Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

8 hours ago, justamom said:

LJE: When I heard it was a tag team with PD Kim Won Suk and screenwriter Park Hae Young, I thought this is definitely going to become a great production, without a doubt. Then I started to read the script and it was so interesting I finished it at one shot. After that I met with PD Kim, and while we discussed a lot he told me "you fit Lee Ji An down to a T". With his vote of confidence, I decided to challenge myself and give it a try.

I am choking up with LJE's response:bawling: regarding Kim Won Suk. I cannot talk about this enough but he really challenged LJE acting wise and gave her the opportunity to add versatility into that acting resume. All of LJE's scenes were shot to pure perfection in My Ajusshi. He really made her shine in every aspect of the drama. This is something that PD Kim Kyu Tae neglected to do in Moon Lovers. Pls excuse the bluntness of my opinion but I am not a fan of that PD coz LJE seriously received career damaging hateful comments all because of his obsessive camera close ups:rolleyes:.  As an IU fan, I really appreciated KWS so much for giving me the best version of actress Lee Jieun that any fan could wish for in a kdrama project. I am still saving all the positive comments, tweets, and articles about LJE and LSG because the messages from fans all over the world were so genuinely touching about the show.

So I guess one tidbit of information was confirmed by LJE in this interview that KWS personally offered her the role. "You fit Lee Ji An down to a T" and as always that brilliant PDnim is right. In fact, LJE was so into Jian's character that her real manager Hanteo was complaining about it on IUtv:lol:. At the same time, I haven't seen Hanteo expressed so much excitement about any acting project aside from My Ajusshi that he literally became LJE's reading partner behind the scenes just to make sure she stayed on script. All the love pouring in and validation from the viewers obviously made LJE more inspired to give her best performance in the show. 

Edit:

Why Lee Jieun was so good as Jian? (aside from her innate talent as an actress)

1) She had a PD that believed on her 100% even from the beginning. He freaking shot her scenes like a poetry in motion straight from pages of a graphic novel. Seriously KWS is like the biggest Jian fanboy

2) A prolific writer like Park Hae Young that pens imperfect strong female lead characters. I loved all the scenes of Jian's violent tendencies (the knife scene at JYD's apartment is still scaring the heck out of  me until this day)

3) And lastly, she was lucky enough to have a selfless leading man like Lee Sun Gyun that is known in the industry as a top actress creator. He surely did a fine job making sure his leading lady shines w/ him and sometimes even giving LJE the sole spotlight. No wonder she calls him as her "best partner" 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

OMG. OMG. OMG. :scream:

Mwahahahahah!!!!  Those photos!!!  They're real!!! :w00t:

Honestly, when the post showing that polaroid picture of LSK and LJE came out,  I was already over the moon.  And then this!  And an interview too!  The interview may not have been all that I hoped for because they never even hinted at the relationship of Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An but hey, at this rate,  I'll take what I can get. And this is already so much more than I expected,  given the media blackout that this drama seems to be under,  despite being a certified hit. 

But it's still frustrating and disappointing that the relationship of our main leads is still being treated like the elephant in the room. I hope this changes as the drama progresses in Japan. In fact,  I hope it goes the way of "Winter Sonata",  that Hallyu classic drama that made Bae Yong Joon and Choi Jin Woo megastars in Japan and the rest of Asia. :)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, andius said:

Stumbled across this on Tumblr.. :flushed:

Thanks, @andius.  Make sure to click the > sign to get to the next picture.  By the way, this is the actor friend who at the beginning of the show told the world that there is no love in My Ahjussi.  Pffffftttt....

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

@andius saw that too.  I wonder what he was up to. He seems to be immersed in another role. Either that or he's chilling out with a friend and doesn't care about looking all scruffy. :)

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

15 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Thanks, @andius.  Make sure to click the > sign to get to the next picture.  By the way, this is the actor friend who at the beginning of the show told the world that there is no love in My Ahjussi.  Pffffftttt....

What is with that middle-aged mustachioed look??? Is that so he can match Song Kang Ho??

51 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

but I am not a fan of that PD coz LJE seriously received career damaging hateful comments all because of his obsessive camera close ups:rolleyes:

I didn't watch that show but that's something we talk about in writing. Why would you want to describe every detail/pore of your character's face? You need to give them, and the character space. So in camera terms, less close-ups, more panned out scenes where you pay attention to composition (e.g. with glaring "Caution Electricity" signs)

P.S. Thanks pungho47 whoever you are for sharing our site :) 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

5 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

@andius saw that too.  I wonder what he was up to. He seems to be immersed in another role. Either that or he's chilling out with a friend and doesn't care about looking all scruffy. :)

He is probably just chilling out at the pool.  He doesn't seem to be one to care too much about his appearance.  And this instagram owner is his good buddy, the one who did a lot of script reading with him.

4 minutes ago, justamom said:

What is with that middle-aged mustachioed look??? Is that so he can match Song Kang Ho??

Hahaha...  I realy hope he cleans up good for the movie.  Not ready for him to be type-cast permanently as an old character.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

[TRANS] 180704 #MyMister casts IU and Lee Sun Kyun Interview with Japanese Magazine Marisol (@marisolstaff) 

DhRU2E_UEAAW1YC?format=jpgDhRU4VZVQAIVOM8?format=jpg

• Like 10

@mylovelystar but they didn't translate the whole interview! Especially Lee Ji Eun's comment about "picking and choosing your love". Can you send them our version? :D 

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

3 minutes ago, justamom said:

@mylovelystar but they didn't translate the whole interview! Especially Lee Ji Eun's comment about "picking and choosing your love". Can you send them our version? :D 

Ok will send a DM 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

Ugh I hope the Japanese interview lifted the curse of not making any interviews from the drama!

Seriously both LSK and LJE were so silent after MA ended that I completely gave up on expecting any normal interviews from them let alone a couple interview. The thought  became so surreal that  when I visited our fansite and saw their picture from the interview I thought: "wow we are so desperate, the fans started photoshopping LSK and IU together". They are so lovely and cute :wub: I could watch them like this forever. May this not be the last interview/photoshoot of the two together

• Like 9
  • LOL 3

39 minutes ago, mylovelystar said:

Hooray @justamom @sadiesmith

4seasonswithIU responded to my DM

“Wow, thank you so so so much for this 

Was really struggling to tl the long interview”

and she posted the link at IUteamstarcandy to

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/07/04/japanese-release-official-m-net-interview-complete/

Good job! IU team star candy’s reach is very impressive!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 9

37 minutes ago, justamom said:

I didn't watch that show but that's something we talk about in writing. Why would you want to describe every detail/pore of your character's face? You need to give them, and the character space. So in camera terms, less close-ups, more panned out scenes where you pay attention to composition (e.g. with glaring "Caution Electricity" signs)

P.S. Thanks pungho47 whoever you are for sharing our site :) 

@justamom It was so hard back on 2016 during the Moon Lovers broadcast with so much negative articles and criticisms about LJE's acting performance. If I remembered correctly, I literally had to curse everyday at SNS that I was staring to develop Tourettes:lol: reading all the hate comments. The knetz loved to blame the lead actress but didn't put the same weight of responsibility on the PD. The guy zoomed in the camera so much that I memorized the exact number of LJE's facial moles by the end of the drama. What a train wreck of a director. As a result, I think LJE suffered so much from the harsh criticisms that she didn't come back to kdramas until 2 years later.  This is why I understand big stars like Gong Yoo, Gong Hyo Jin really take their time and are very cautious in choosing their kdrama projects. Sometimes they go hiatus for years because one train wreck of a drama can seriously derail your career. 

And I agree Kim Won Suk used less close ups, more into small details in every scene, and his filming style is more like a homage to French Noir films. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 2

52 minutes ago, ccl82 said:

Looking at the photos.

I think I just died. 

No no. That’s supposed to happen after they kiss. Remember? :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

Do you think LSG and IU will be aware about the fan site of my ajhussi that created by awesome people over here ? They will be so happy if they are made aware of that and it might help them understand how much was the show loved by international audience. 

• Like 12

On 6/27/2018 at 10:17 PM, popai5 said:

What was the response when 'My Spring Days/The Spring Days of My Life' with Sooyoung and Kam Woo Sung (20 year gap), 'Marriage Contract' with Uee and Lee Seo Jin (17 years), 'Entertainer' with Lee Hyeri and Ji Sung (17 years), 'The Flower in Prison' Jin Se Yeon and Go Soo (16 years), 'Beautiful Gong Shim' Bang Minah and Namgoong Min (15 years) and 'A Beautiful Mind' with Park So Dam and Jang Hyuk? Oh I forgot 'Prime Minister and I' with Yoona and Lee Bum So (20 years).

Sorry for the long list. I don't know what the age gap between these characters are supposed to be. I guess younger actresses are often paired with older and more experienced actors to help with the acting and maybe to help with ratings. But did the public make a big fuss with those shows too? Or is it a newer thing with the voices from the more recent 'feminist activists'?

That's seven dramas, and I have only seen three of them. I don't know whether there was any fuss about those, but if there wasn't, I would presume it was because of clear differences from My Ajusshi.

As in: in both My Spring Days and Marriage Contract, the Young Woman was dying, which made it all right for the Older Man to take care of her. Even fall in love with her – it would never last, anyhow. In Prime Minister and I there was no hint of a romance during the first half, or at least, I didn't see any. Maybe there could have been in the latter half, but by then, the very weird arc with the Older Man's wife had taken over (IIRC, the wife was supposed to be dead, but then she wasn't). Also, the Young Woman in PM&I was played by Yoona. While she is easy on the eyes (at least mine), she seems never to project much emotion. Quite a difference from MA's IU.

Then again, in both MSD and MC, the Older Man was rich; in PM&I, he had a position of great power. In MA, he has neither much money nor great power; he is just a rather normal salaryman. So the three earlier dramas looked very much like fairy tales, whereas MA has a very realistic feel – things like this could really happen, or even be happening right now. Even if I found age gaps to be a problem, I would probably not  mind them much if they occurred in fantasies – but would react to them if they occurred in reality, or in a drama that seems as real, and intense, as MA.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, t123han said:

Do you think LSG and IU will be aware about the fan site of my ajhussi that created by awesome people over here ? They will be so happy if they are made aware of that and it might help them understand how much was the show loved by international audience. 

If anyone is serious about telling them our love, I think it is not too difficult to do so.  Doesn't IU have a few fan clubs?  Can someone contact them?

A few cast members have personal instagram account.  Maybe someone with instagram can leave a comment there?

The actor playing Kim Tae Ri, member of Team 3 who kept trying to get JA replaced:

Actor Oh Nara (Jung Hee):

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sakari said:

That's seven dramas, and I have only seen three of them. I don't know whether there was any fuss about those, but if there wasn't, I would presume it was because of clear differences from My Ajusshi.

As in: in both My Spring Days and Marriage Contract, the Young Woman was dying, which made it all right for the Older Man to take care of her. Even fall in love with her – it would never last, anyhow. In Prime Minister and I there was no hint of a romance during the first half, or at least, I didn't see any. Maybe there could have been in the latter half, but by then, the very weird arc with the Older Man's wife had taken over (IIRC, the wife was supposed to be dead, but then she wasn't). Also, the Young Woman in PM&I was played by Yoona. While she is easy on the eyes (at least mine), she seems never to project much emotion. Quite a difference from MA's IU.

Then again, in both MSD and MC, the Older Man was rich; in PM&I, he had a position of great power. In MA, he has neither much money nor great power; he is just a rather normal salaryman. So the three earlier dramas looked very much like fairy tales, whereas MA has a very realistic feel – things like this could really happen, or even be happening right now. Even if I found age gaps to be a problem, I would probably not  mind them much if they occurred in fantasies – but would react to them if they occurred in reality, or in a drama that seems as real, and intense, as MA.

I have watched none of those. But I did watch Goblin and it was rubbish (apologies to Goblin fans). Okay, personal taste but I prefer deep emotional stories and powerful characterisation. Secret Love Affair, which shook me to the core (and made @africandramalover a woman lol) where Kim Hee Ae is at least 20 years older than her piano protege. Loveholic, a teacher-student romance which incidentally starred Lee Seon Gyun as the cuckolded second lead and went super makjang, but then again teacher-student romances seem legit in K drama world as long as you make them suffer and put in lots of angst. 

Again I must say, I don't live in Korea and if I did I might be less interested in watching a show about Ahjussis if I'm surrounded by boring middle-aged men every day who boss me around at work and try to tell me what to do. As I mentioned earlier My Ahjussi recorded really high ratings amongst male audiences (like nearly 50-50 parity compared with most dramas I've seen which have like maybe 10-90 gender ratios)

It's kind of how like, if you're white in America, you're not supposed to complain about racism, you know what I mean? So I get the controversy, I really do, but I think that's really giving the show short shrift. And it's a complicated argument, I know, but how are we supposed to resolve gender discrimination problems if we only look at one side of the story? I suppose I'm saying all this because, like I said earlier, I recognise in Yoon Hee's character shades of myself, a working mom with her own identity and dreams and ambitions. But I never felt like the writer, the production or the show tried to villainise Yoon Hee or put down her dreams/ambitions. In fact they treated her with a lot of sympathy : she just married the wrong guy and family, and the only one who even felt sympathy for her predicament --passing the bar exam while nursing a newborn! She deserves a huge prize! And what did she get? --was Ki Hoon. I think that Dong Hoon too in a way understood her sacrifices and their mismatched relationship, and that is why he didn't cast her by the wayside after the affair.

9 hours ago, t123han said:

I've not been super enthusiastic about going around marketing our fan site yet because to be honest, there's still so much work we need to do! We're not ready for full exposure yet. There's a long backlog of posts we're still going through and haven't published. But if you'd like, do share the site on social media :) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1