Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

1 hour ago, myahhussi said:

So I was rewatching this scene where DH broke down in tears and came across with a comment that says, there was a line in ep 16 where DH was talking to his friend in the cafe "How's being a "Gu-Ruh-Gi?" Whch means that DH is still together with his wife and son and supports them financially. 

Can someone validate this please. Did his friend really say that?

Is this line actually spoken in the last scene?  I don't remember it.  But he could be divorced/separated and still supports his kid and Yoon Hee.  Does the term gu-ruh-gi (goose father) not apply when one is divorced?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think it's a combination of both her idol status and she was still carrying a lot of hate from Moon Lovers. I thought she was great in the Producers, and even though I liked ML I admit it was a mess. She wasn't the problem that everyone makes her out to be though, after seeing her in MA I am sure it was the script and direction. She's a far better actress than other female idols out there ( no hate but Suzy comes to mind). And LSK gets hate because he's not your typical hot older guy. He's attractive and has a voice to die for but yeah he's not Gong Yoo. Shame that people will hold onto that though, they are seriously missing out on a masterpiece of a drama. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Sorry guys (and ladies) but like @sadiesmith here I think Lee Seon Gyun is hoooootttt

His voice alone turns me on.

[fans self gif here]

like, wayyyy hotter than Gong Yoo whom I find effeminate

so I don’t know what you all are talking about ;)

re: gireogi Appa yes, it means they are still married. But in many cases, being apart for so many years has put a great strain on their marriage and resulted in many couples separating, although less divorce

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Sorry to interject but is the word 기러기 아빠 (Goose father) actually said in the last scene at the cafe? I can't for the life of me seem to be able to hear it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, leslieknope said:

Sorry to interject but is the word 기러기 아빠 (Goose father) actually said in the last scene at the cafe? I can't for the life of me seem to be able to hear it.

This is a reply to @myahhussi as well.  I don't think the words for goose father were actually spoken by any character, at least I did not recall seeing the subtitle for it.  Here's dramamilk's recap/translation of that conversation:

https://www.dramamilk.com/my-ajusshi-my-mister-live-recap-episode-16-final/

-----------------------------

DH – My Kid and my Kids mom want to stay there until he goes to college.
Friend/Colleague – (no subject) spoke some English before?
DH – We sent him for English. Recently he is giving me a hard time because I can’t speak English. Pronunciations….ah. It’s different than our times.
Friend/Colleague – In English, if you can convey your meaning….haha
DH – Hey, can we do that? (Or we can’t even do that.)

That is a topic on DC as well because the phrasing they chose (and that is commonly used in Korea) makes it unclear. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to fix the translations on other sites. I hope this helps though

-----------------------------

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

So about that new reverse age-gap drama starring Song Hye Kyo and Park Bo Gum, so many comments on Koala's are saying this is like My Ajusshi.  Has My Ajusshi started a trend or what?

http://koalasplayground.com/2018/07/09/song-hye-kyo-and-park-bo-gum-confirmed-for-romance-k-drama-boyfriend/

You’re seriously expecting writing the level of My Ahjussi from the writer who wrote Entertainer and Pretty Boy?”

LOL!!!

and that is all.

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

THIS AGE GAP BROU-HAHA

Please do not judge me for saying this.... but I've been wanting to say this for so long already.

I have nothing against ahjummas or middle-aged women, we will all get older/mature eventually anyway.  And there is always that graceful way to get old, and still look just as fabulous, and be a woman of substance.  ;)

But I think all these over-the-top reactions to age gaps, criticizing if the male lead is way older than the female lead, but exalting if it is the female lead who is older --- seems to do just one thing ...TO FEED THE AHJUMMAS FANTASIES.... that whether guys are old or young, all will fall only for them and not for those cutesy, youthful type.  Now that is just delusional. UNREALISTIC. (knowing how the male species operate and behave--- well i'm not generalizing though :sweatingbullets: hahha).

The ahjummas in Korea might be really scary ...for Kdrama storylines to bend-over-backwards for them all the time.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

7 minutes ago, berny said:

The ahjummas in Korea might be really scary ...for Kdrama storylines to bend-over-backwards for them all the time

Weelll....they just make up 80-90% of the viewing population for K Dramas. Most of the time.

I don't know about you, but most guys just watch news and sports. News and sports. (that's what Dong Hoon and his brothers were always watching too)

My Ahjussi was probably one of the first dramas in recent history to hit 50-50 gender ratio.

• Like 10

@justamom

IU has broad appeal in Korea and this was evident in the yearly Gallup Korea poll "which canvassed 4,200 people aged 13 to 59" released around Christmas 2017 (+6 months ago)

So it cannot be true that she has a cutesy image "targeting a much younger audience than the target audience for My Ahjussi"

Ref https://gallupkorea.blogspot.com/2017/12/2017-11_19.html

She was first in the poll

GYzWJna.jpg

And first in the 30 years and 40 years demographics (not to mention the 19~29)

aYYtwrt.jpg

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/iu-is-south-koreas-singer-of-the-year

Excerpt “it was 24-year-old female artist IU, who triumphed in the poll conducted by Gallup Korea, which canvassed 4,200 people aged 13 to 59 across South Korea from July 6 to 26, Sept 1 to 29 and Nov 8 to 28.

....struck a chord among all the age groups.”

M7Fhd91.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, justamom said:

No offence at all to IU fans, and really I've become a fan of Lee Ji Eun as well after My Ahjussi, but I have to wonder if IU's cutesy image has something to do with it?  I know this has been said before but Kim Go Eun/Kim Tae Ri despite being younger/similar age have a much more mature image. I mean, the princess dress during her birthday party didn't really help ... and it kind of reinforced my impression of IU  targeting a much younger audience than the target audience for My Ahjussi/Lee Seon Gyun's usual shows.

Sorry but when have IU or Fave Ent promote cutesy image for IU recently?

She transition away from the cutesy image her agency make her do in her early career at 2013 with her dramas and music. 2013 is the only year she do 2 drama a year and you can see the sharp contrast in the role of both her characters she play. Bel Ami was hold the cutesy image but You Are the Best! is very much her life story. She follow up this with The Producers which is basically Ji-ah as an idol.

She reinforce this by releasing Modern Times album at 2013 signalling the end of the cutesy image her agency put upon her.

IU-Modern_Times.jpg

She put to death the cutesy image by releasing A Flower Bookmark (Remake of old songs) album the year after.

So I do not think cutesy image is the cause of the controversy here but rather a fraction of the Korean have prejudiced against idols acting and just love to create controversy to discourage them from acting. This add to the fact that IU is the top artist in Korea so media love to sensationalise lies to sell their "news".

The princess dress at her birthday was as she put it in IUTV "3rd tier". This is her real princess dress.

More proof that IU is actually a real life Disney princess disusing as an idol:ph34r:

Spoiler

@widala  The Nation's Little Sister title have pass from IU a long time ago. No one in Korea call her that anymore. I only see other less inform countries that IU tours still using that title on her. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation's_Little_Sister

p.s.

13770495_1081179808603827_15934336647187

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, justamom said:

Oops I made a mistake in my translation. The Kim Tae Ri/ Lee Byeong Heon age gap is 12, not 22 years. I suppose that is more acceptable than 24 years?? To me that's not really an age gap. Maybe more...generation gap.

I think in Korea, as in Japan, coming of age is 20/21 years old. So Ji An in the show has only just come of age as an adult.

No offence at all to IU fans, and really I've become a fan of Lee Ji Eun as well after My Ahjussi, but I have to wonder if IU's cutesy image has something to do with it?  I know this has been said before but Kim Go Eun/Kim Tae Ri despite being younger/similar age have a much more mature image. I mean, the princess dress during her birthday party didn't really help ... and it kind of reinforced my impression of IU  targeting a much younger audience than the target audience for My Ahjussi/Lee Seon Gyun's usual shows.

13 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I have always liked IU and have in fact watched her other dramas before this, but I 100% believe IU's image had much to do with the initial reaction.  Minutes after her announcement as only the potential lead, Korean social media (instagram, I think) exploded with strong opposition to this news, and I doubt that this would have happened had someone else been the one considered.  I do realize though that many of her antis were part of this, but also many of her younger, immature fans.  I wonder if that instagram post has since been removed, but you can sort of see it here in this alkpop post:

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/11/ius-fans-rage-against-reported-casting-in-tvns-my-mister

What I can't understand is why the news keeps bringing this up as a negative thing when the drama itself has been so well received.  And we are only two months from the conclusion.  Have they forgotten already how deeply they were touched?  This does not bode well at all for their chances at winning awards a year from now.:(

The perfect storm of controversy when My Ajusshi production was announced late last year. It started when a fraction of IU's immature Kpop fanbase flooded her IG with hate messages voicing out their  disappointment regarding  her drama role choices. They were expecting another Moon Lovers sequel or she would be paired with another pretty boy actor.  Some even threaten to leave her fandom if she chose My Ajusshi as her next project. The posts are still there in her SNS  so you guys can freely read all the awful messages. The reaction was so intense from her own immature fans that it actually made news as @sadiesmith highlighted above. Then the real IU haters/antis started to jump into the bandwagon and repeating her previous album lyric scandal by spreading false malicious rumors. After that, the korean feminazis started weighing in the issue because you know it's IU so any news about  her was a big deal in South Korea. Moreover,  Lee Sun Gyun is more of an indie actor. He is handsome and charming but he does not have enough fangirls to defend him against all the haters. Poor guy.

Now in Mr Sunshine, there was no big outrage right? The kdrama fans are cringing a bit but the majority are all open to the possible love angle between Kim Taeri and Lee Byung Hyun. Case point that there is always a big difference in maturity level between kdrama viewers and kpop fans. So I agree that IU's idol image has something to do with the controversy but in fairness she also gave Kim Won Suk a heads up early on. However, this PD really believed in her and wanted her for the role of Jian. She had no choice because IU was not crazy to turn down an offer from the great Kim Won Suk. She understood that working with this PD would elevate and challenged her as an actress. This decision was a no-brainer. And IU was right because not only she delivered a great performance but she also garnered so much respect as an actress from her sunbaes in the industry. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

29 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

The perfect storm of controversy when My Ajusshi production was announced late last year. It started when a fraction of IU's immature Kpop fanbase flooded her IG with hate messages voicing out their  disappointment regarding  her drama role choices. They were expecting another Moon Lovers sequel or she would be paired with another pretty boy actor.  Some even threaten to leave her fandom if she chose My Ajusshi as her next project. The posts are still there in her SNS  so you guys can freely read all the awful messages. The reaction was so intense from her own immature fans that it actually made news as @sadiesmith highlighted above. Then the real IU haters/antis started to jump into the bandwagon and repeating her previous album lyric scandal by spreading false malicious rumors. After that, the korean feminazis started weighing in the issue because you know it's IU so any news about  her was a big deal in South Korea. Moreover,  Lee Sun Gyun is more of an indie actor. He is handsome and charming but he does not have enough fangirls to defend him against all the haters. Poor guy.

Now in Mr Sunshine, there was no big outrage right? The kdrama fans are cringing a bit but the majority are all open to the possible love angle between Kim Taeri and Lee Byung Hyun. Case point that there is always a big difference in maturity level between kdrama viewers and kpop fans. So I agree that IU's idol image has something to do with the controversy but in fairness she also gave Kim Won Suk a heads up early on. However, this PD really believed in her and wanted her for the role of Jian. She had no choice because IU was not crazy to turn down an offer from the great Kim Won Suk. She understood that working with this PD would elevate and challenged her as an actress. This decision was a no-brainer. And IU was right because not only she delivered a great performance but she also garnered so much respect as an actress from her sunbaes in the industry. 

@timidjock0819, thank you for so clearly explaining what transpired.  Since I followed this drama from the moment LSK was cast, I saw firsthand the nasty messages from her immature fans both from Korea and outside.  But I had no clear idea that it was mostly her kpop fans, followed by her antis, and finally the feminazis.   It got so bad that I thought they would shelve the entire project for good.  This whole thing is so morbidly fascinating.  And yeah, so true that LSK is not an actor with an established fan base that would come out to defend him.  I was very very surprised when both actors and production team went ahead with it.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mylovelystar said:

So it cannot be true that she has a cutesy image "targeting a much younger audience than the target audience for My Ahjussi"

I feel like we've been down this road before. And I'm cool with Lee Ji Eun and think she's awesome and super talented :D 

But the poll says "idol survey"

And most women in their thirties and forties no longer have "idols"

:glasses:

That is all.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Joseph Lim said:

Sorry but when have IU or Fave Ent promote cutesy image for IU recently?

She transition away from the cutesy image her agency make her do in her early career at 2013 with her dramas and music. 2013 is the only year she do 2 drama a year and you can see the sharp contrast in the role of both her characters she play. Bel Ami was hold the cutesy image but You Are the Best! is very much her life story. She follow up this with The Producers which is basically Ji-ah as an idol.

She reinforce this by releasing Modern Times album at 2013 signalling the end of the cutesy image her agency put upon her

@Joseph LimMy apologies to cut your post short. I  don't really like to disagree with a fellow fan but IU still has not shed off that cutesy image. In fact, she reverted back to it with her Palette comeback in 2017. Regardless of how much IU wanted to avoid being called the Nation's Little Sister, she also cannot afford to lose that image because of her superstar status in her home country. She has to cater to the Korean general public which quite frankly is still a very conservative society. 

I know this may be off topic but since you are mentioning IU's music and past albums let's discuss it. Modern Times was a jazz bossa nova so it appealed to the conservative older Korean general public with the exception of the hit bop Friday. She didn't really tried to break free from the cute girl next door image even her Friday MV was cute. Nothing daring about it. 

Then Flower BookMark 1 - she came back to her ballad roots with the collection of old folk songs. Again appealing to the older conservative Korean general public. 

The Chatshire era (2015) she tried to be daring and sexy - with a racy GQ pictorial and a controversial album. She was trying to shatter the innocent goody two shoes image. The Korean public was not ready for it in my opinion. Hence, all the controversies etc followed that album concept everywhere. It was such a shame because in my opinion Chatshire was the golden year of IU's excellent lyrical verse as a songwriter. However, the brilliance of the album was overshadowed by the mounting controversy.

It took her another 2 years to release Palette in 2017. Only this time she learned the fine balance between maintaining her favorable cute public image and her steady growth as a mature artist. The album was a huge commercial success partly because IU found a way to express her music without ruffling too many feathers. My point is although IU tried to shed off the cute image but there are still CF films where she acted cute and banked on her image as Nation's Little Sister (Mon Cher, Kdpharm, etc..). Also, IU is physically cute without even trying with those baby cheeks, doll skin, and petite stature. I think the woman just learned  to embrace the cutesy image instead of rebelling against the very image that made her famous in the first place. She learned to compromise when needed with her management but at the same time it gave her freedom to venture on risky projects like My Ajusshi because of her bankability as a celebrity.

She mentioned how the role of Jian and the drama were so important that it would likely stay with her for a long time. I could understand why IU said those words for the simple reason that she was free for 5-6 months from the expectations of being the cute top star. I think she loved playing the manipulative bad girl Jian, in fact even during filming she preferred to be called by her character's name all the time. IU successfully shed off that cute idol image because of My Ajusshi only this time the general public was behind her 100%. They were rooting for her. As I mentioned before, I have been following IU's dramas for years and watching BTS clips. I could tell that she was happiest while filming My Ajusshi which was odd because the tone of the drama was depressing but the girl was always giddy and goofing around. She even got drunk:lol:.  

• Like 10
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

Thanks for the explanation...

Those immature so-called fans, haters and antis are really scary...

Ever since the news about drama Boyfriend is out, there are already negative comments. 

Mostly about the age difference, and Song Hye Kyo and Park Bo Gum personal relationships irl. Comments like, since PBG and Song Jong Ki are bff, doesn't it weirds to do a romance with your bf's wife? Smh..

But, SHK and PBG large fan base ready to defend them and back them up.

And for Lee Sun Kyun, I hope he will get so much more recognition he deserves, and more fans who will support his future projects...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

She mentioned how the role of Jian and the drama were so important that it would likely stay with her for a long time. I could understand why IU said those words for the simple reason that she was free for 5-6 months from the expectations of being the cute top star. I think she loved playing the manipulative bad girl Jian, in fact even during filming she preferred to be called by her character's name all the time. IU successfully shed off that cute idol image because of My Ajusshi only this time the general public was behind her 100%. They were rooting for her. As I mentioned before, I have been following IU's dramas for years and watching BTS clips. I could tell that she was happiest while filming My Ajusshi which was odd because the tone of the drama was depressing but the girl was always giddy and goofing around. She even got drunk:lol:.  

@timidjock0819 That was a great analysis/summary. You hit the nail on the head, IU can't help it, she looks cute :lol: which is why I couldn't reconcile mean badass Ji An with the IU music videos I had seen earlier. It must have been so liberating for her to portray Ji An and for her "old soul" and "real voice" to have the chance to come out. Absolutely a 30,000 year old soul living in a twenty-one year old body.

So a little voice whispered in my ear something about IU's Ahjussi fans. I googled "IU uncle fans" and my mind exploded. This is a whole new rabbit hole! 

http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2015/11/iu-and-zeze.html

( @ninaanin if you're still here did you know about this?)

What does TK think about this? The controversy itself is uninteresting; the more interesting part is the way in which IU decided to make this song. TK is convinced that, in today's K-pop scene, IU is the artist who possesses the most self-awareness about the way in which the K-pop market consumes her (or more precisely, her image,) and the interaction between her actions and the pattern of that consumption. In fact, she may be the most careful orchestrator of self-image in Korean pop music since Seo Taiji.

Here is the uncomfortable truth: underlying much of IU's fandom is the id of barely-legal pedophilic desire. To be sure, this is a general phenomenon in the K-pop market, in which "uncle fans" of girl groups--men in their 30s and up, ogling mostly-uncovered young women--make up a significant portion of the fan base. Writ large, it is the general phenomenon of the way in which most young female pop stars are consumed in the market. (The Catholic school girl uniform by Britney Spears was certainly not geared only toward young men of her age.)

But what sets IU apart from other youthful, girlish-looking K-pop idols is that, unlike the girl groups who are creations of a producing company, IU has invited the pedophilic gaze on her own terms. IU does not settle for the crude simulacra of pedophilia, like a school girl outfit. (Although she certainly does employ that too.) She employs much more sophisticated devices, like issuing a remake album containing hit songs from 1980s and 90s. (For an 80s song to be meaningful, you must be at least born in late 1970s. IU was born in 1993.) One of the most popular moments of IU is when she sings the songs of Kim Gwang-seok, whose soulful reflection on self made him the legend of early 90s Korean pop music. In this sense, IU is akin to an evolved Madonna; like the pioneering female American pop artist, IU flipped the script by taking over the agency of her own sexuality. In fact, IU does one better than Madonna, because she does this without any crass skin exposure. 

----

No wonder there was so much controversy! It all makes sense now! Again, Lee Ji Eun is awesome and not that this is fair or deserved, but, now it makes sense!

---

@sadiesmith The party's just begun! Why else are we hanging out here :glasses:

--
I spy with my little eye....the one and only @seungshin!!! I am waiting to hear your thoughts on the show!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Not to add another IU centric post but reading all of your words I can't help but say my piece on IU as well.

I find it a little infuriating how women in kpop have to bear the brunt of this stunningly misogynistic industry and then are criticized when they do their best to survive in said industry. I find most of the criticism/controversy of female idols like IU, happen whenever they try to take control of their work.

IU started working in the music industry when she was only 15, and when her debut song (a dark and moody ballad) didn't click with the public, her company forced her to re-vamp her image (and music) into something cute, bubbly and far more marketable.

And I imagine IU hated every single minute of it but she was young and had to acquiesce to her company's wishes.

So she changed her image and tasted stratospheric success in her "Good Day" era. And slowly but surely she started leveraging that success to take back creative control of her music (and image).

IU like most young girls in kpop started with a vast amount of "uncle" fans and that dictated how she was marketed. But once she started writing her songs and producing her albums, she started reaching out to a wide variety of listeners. But that fact that she took control and started shining a light on the hypocrisy of certain parts of the audience who only wanted to see her as a young girl forever (especially during Chat-Shire era) - I think that angered a certain section of the audience. 

I think that coupled with the fact that she's wildly popular anyway, means anything she does gets scrutinized and some people are always ready with their pitchforks.

But having said that, I don't think the fear of controversy will ever stop IU. I think she will continue to do what she wants.

As it stands now, IU has more female fans than male (which is a rarity in kpop for a female act). I think right now IU is one of the few singers/idols who have hard power in the kpop industry, has creative control of her work and has been consistently successful 10 years into her career.

I don't know about you guys, but I really admire how she has navigated herself through this deeply patriarchal and mercurial industry. I hope she continues to do really really well in both her music and acting projects.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2