Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

17 hours ago, mimola said:

Long time lurker here :D

Who needs fireworks today when we have these beautiful pictures! :wub:  I'm grinning like a fool! They look so adorable together! Thank you all for the wonderful fansite you guys put together, I have read every nugget about this couple! 

Your name sounds very familiar. Are you one of the fic writers? Glad you're delurking. 

• Like 2

Long time no see, guys! IU-LSG's photos brought me back to this forum.. Oh my goodness!!!! They look so cute together.. Although i'm side eyeing Lee Sun Gyun's stylist.. They could've given him better clothes to wear, way to waste that handsome face <_< :D Well, at least, it's better than nothing at all. Japanese viewers are so lucky to be getting so much goodies!

This is my favorite part of the interview. Ah... Just beautiful. Their answers resonated so much with me. I love how they are so like-minded. And it still surprises me how IU is still only 25/26 years old. She's definitely wise beyond her years.

ScreenShot20180705at.png

I've been reading recent reviews of the show.. And i must say.. The ravings and great reviews from people who've watched it as it aired are kind of like double edge swords.. Some people who decided to watch this drama because of the reviews, expected to be blown away and ended up finding it overrated.. For me, the best enjoyment happens when you expect nothing from this drama, because the idea of the whole show is about finding the beauty in the mundane.. and these broken characters.

Most common criticism for this drama is the slow pacing in the first 4 episodes, and while I totally get why some people thought like that, from my standpoint the slow pacing is necessary for the show to set the dark tone and underlying sadness and despair of these characters.

I even rewatched the drama (without skipping any parts), to evaluate whether or not I overrate it, and i still enjoy it very very much. It's crazy how I still cried and felt suffocated watching it. Truly a masterpiece. It's still in my list of Top 5 favorite korean dramas of all time and currently the drama of the year. 

• Like 12

@ sadiesmith 

Yep, that's me! :D I'm Mimola on ao3 and also eatalottransferstudent on tumblr. I've read this thread since page 116 after the show ended. Someone mentioned they wanted to share my fics here, so I've been lurking since then. It's wonderful to know I wasn't going crazy alone in my love for this show. I'm rewatching it yet again, must be the 5th time. I'm just not ready to let go yet.

• Like 8

I translated this DC Inside post sometime back, but wasn't sure about some parts of the translation. I've just updated it with @rellea's help. This was one of my favourite posts from DC Inside...

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/07/05/when-i-know-your-flaws-and-you-know-mine/

When I know your flaws, and you know mine, and what we know becomes connected, your flaws become my pain and mine become yours, it becomes an invaluable, precious love between two people.

@mushroomsoupie Hi and welcome back. We've posted some of your stuff on the fan site :D

@mimola hello! 

• Like 10

Same here same here . All of us lurking around here months after the drama has ended have not been able to move on. I have lost count of how many times I have rewatched. 

I have decided to take one week hiatus so that when I rewatch it again it all feels new and fresh !!!! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

5 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Long time no see, guys! IU-LSG's photos brought me back to this forum.. Oh my goodness!!!! They look so cute together.. Although i'm side eyeing Lee Sun Gyun's stylist.. They could've given him better clothes to wear, way to waste that handsome face <_< :D Well, at least, it's better than nothing at all. Japanese viewers are so lucky to be getting so much goodies!

5 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

I've been reading recent reviews of the show.. And i must say.. The ravings and great reviews from people who've watched it as it aired are kind of like double edge swords.. Some people who decided to watch this drama because of the reviews, expected to be blown away and ended up finding it overrated.. For me, the best enjoyment happens when you expect nothing from this drama, because the idea of the whole show is about finding the beauty in the mundane.. and these broken characters.

Most common criticism for this drama is the slow pacing in the first 4 episodes, and while I totally get why some people thought like that, from my standpoint the slow pacing is necessary for the show to set the dark tone and underlying sadness and despair of these characters.

I even rewatched the drama (without skipping any parts), to evaluate whether or not I overrate it, and i still enjoy it very very much. It's crazy how I still cried and felt suffocated watching it. Truly a masterpiece. It's still in my list of Top 5 favorite korean dramas of all time and currently the drama of the year. 

@mushroomsoupie, I agree with everything you said, from LSK's clothes to the reviews.  I have been asking some people in my circle to watch.  I am finding out firsthand that because of my hard push, when they finally watched they expected to be hooked much harder, and yeah, not there yet.  Have you been reading recent reviews on the Korean sites?

• Like 5

Dong Hoon's special smiles for Ji An

I believe we only saw each of these smiles once in the entire drama. Blink and you'll miss it - it's only 1-2 seconds, but it gives us a glimpse into his affection for her.

screen-shot-2018-07-06-at-12-08-56-am.pn

Dong Hoon's tongue in cheek smile, episode 16 as he tells her the credit goes to Sang Hoon, not him

screen-shot-2018-07-06-at-12-07-39-am.pn

The camera pans to Ji An's side profile, to show Dong Hoon catching a glimpse of her. And he's so happy to see her he smiles to himself, a smile he can't control, a smile showing his true feelings towards her.

And they said there was no loveline??

@h2ogirl gifs please :D 

• Like 15

And here I am trying to go into hiatus. Pictures like this keeps pulling me back into MA rabbit hole !!!

The post funeral smile was when LJH asks something like - are you going to suddenly say one day that you can’t show ur kindness anymore . He gives an amused chuckle and probably thinking - I can’t believe what I just heard... what more I have to do to gain ur trust. LJH at this point is completely smitten by PDH and is having hard time processing the fact that even her ajhussi might be harbouring same kind of affection towards her. Since he hardly expresses his thoughts,  although Jian can read his soul but it still feels unreal to her that PDH might be falling for her.

The second smile before entering the bar is like a smile of person whose burden has been lifted from his shoulders and he is now looking at one precious person who brings him joy. He feels content and happy for her ,seeing her interact with bar owner and smiling also. 

And the last smile when they meet again is of course is a smile of a person who has completely lost his marbles and can’t help grin from face to face. Remember when he said that if he meets her in 10 or 20 years gap he will greet her warmly. I beg to differ, the last smile was not warm smile ... it was screaming of how much he missed her and how glad and surprised he is to see her. It was honey dripping from his face. 

I have a feeling that before each such scenes the director might have had a secret meeting with PDH saying look we know all the controversy and even though I have not mentioned this in script but you are going to look at  jian like you can’t live without her ... look at her like you want to hold her in your arms and she is your world.

And the crew might be discussing during lunch break saying aren’t we working on human story then why the hell everytime PDH looks at Jian it feels like he is going to explode from his affection towards her .

Platonic gaze ... yeh right !!!! And we are supposed to believe that !!!! 

• Like 10
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@mushroomsoupie, I agree with everything you said, from LSK's clothes to the reviews.  I have been asking some people in my circle to watch.  I am finding out firsthand that because of my hard push, when they finally watched they expected to be hooked much harder, and yeah, not there yet.  Have you been reading recent reviews on the Korean sites?

The negative korean reviews usually touch on the patriarchal values, age gap and violence like the one @justamom translated few pages ago. I've never seen even any complaint yet about of the pacing or lack of interest in the brothers, yoora, & jung hee scenes. I always like it when they call My Mister as their drama of lifetime / 인생 드라마. Koreans really treasure this drama.

As much as people say My Mister is "overrated", I don't think it's being appreciated enough by the international audience. It hasn't garnered that much viewers as much as Signal or Misaeng. More people need to watch it!!!

I've been lurking on chinese forum Douban too. They've been posting fanfics like crazy ever since the show ended. :D Some of the english fanfics on AO3 even got translated and posted there LOL! Majority of them are rooting for DH-JA to end as a couple.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

On 7/3/2018 at 3:32 PM, widala said:

Recently, I watched a Japanese movie about teacher-student romance, My Teacher (Ikuta Toma, Hirose Suzu).

It was a sweet story about a highschool girl who had a crush on her teacher.

Ha! That's Kazune Kawahara's classic (in my view) manga Sensei! that was published 1996-2007. Took the Japanese a while to come out with a live-action version.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, t123han said:

And the last smile when they meet again is of course is a smile of a person who has completely lost his marbles and can’t help grin from face to face. Remember when he said that if he meets her in 10 or 20 years gap he will greet her warmly. I beg to differ, the last smile was not warm smile ... it was screaming of how much he missed her and how glad and surprised he is to see her. It was honey dripping from his face. 

I have a feeling that before each such scenes the director might have had a secret meeting with PDH saying look we know all the controversy and even though I have not mentioned this in script but you are going to look at  jian like you can’t live without her ... look at her like you want to hold her in your arms and she is your world.

And the crew might be discussing during lunch break saying aren’t we working on human story then why the hell everytime PDH looks at Jian it feels like he is going to explode from his affection towards her .

Platonic gaze ... yeh right !!!! And we are supposed to believe that !!!! 

But @t123han, we have proofs from TVN directly that the way DH looked at JA was completely not LSK's own decision/mis-acting, he was most definitely directed to do so.  Not even in secret.  These are official pictures:

Ddo9fmRV4AAsU_N.jpg

Ddo9fmRUQAIfneA.jpg

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

Of all the wonderful scenes in My Ahjussi, this was one of my favourite. In many ways, I feel this was the real farewell between Dong Hoon and Ji An.

They meet at their date spot, and chat about the chairman. Roaming camera shot from the outside. Then we get a close up of Ji An. The revelation that's about to shake Dong Hoon's world.

"I'm going to Pusan."

screen-shot-2018-07-06-at-12-19-11-am.pn

screen-shot-2018-07-06-at-12-19-35-am.pn

The camera backs away, leaving Dong Hoon and Ji An some privacy. 

screen-shot-2018-07-06-at-12-20-12-am.pn

Dong Hoon: "Why do you have to go that far?"

And because Soompi doesn't allow more than three photos I decided to post directly on Give Me Slippers. So you'll have to click here to read the rest of my post...LOL

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/07/05/you-who-saved-me-ji-ans-real-farewell/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, mushroomsoupie said:

The negative korean reviews usually touch on the patriarchal values, age gap and violence like the one @justamom translated few pages ago. I've never seen even any complaint yet about of the pacing or lack of interest in the brothers, yoora, & jung hee scenes. I always like it when they call My Mister as their drama of lifetime / 인생 드라마. Koreans really treasure this drama.

As much as people say My Mister is "overrated", I don't think it's being appreciated enough by the international audience. It hasn't garnered that much viewers as much as Signal or Misaeng. More people need to watch it!!!

I've been lurking on chinese forum Douban too. They've been posting fanfics like crazy ever since the show ended. :D Some of the english fanfics on AO3 even got translated and posted there LOL! Majority of them are rooting for DH-JA to end as a couple.

OMG please share links. If they translated mine, I hope they gave proper credits!!

I don't even want to get onto Douban. I have fallen into way too many rabbit holes.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

16 minutes ago, justamom said:

OMG please share links. If they translated mine, I hope they gave proper credits!!

I don't even want to get onto Douban. I have fallen into way too many rabbit holes.

Seriously how many languages you speak? 

Korean , Japanese , Chinese .... if I could speak all this 3 languages I would put a tent on their respective MA fansites. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

48 minutes ago, justamom said:

This is a recent and most popular chinese fanfic about DH-JA's relationship after the time jump 

p2525153932.jpg

https://movie.douban.com/subject/27602137/discussion/615641349/ 

(I used Google Translate to understand the story. IT'S REALLY GOOD! Very detailed. JA-DH wedding and all that good stuff.:wub:)

Fanmade MV: Crossover of IU and LSG's past dramas 

Cindy (Producers) x Do Hyun Woo (My Wife's Having an Affair this Week)

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av23418519

@justamom I believe they translated alex29's fanfics few weeks ago. I saved the link, but it already got deleted from the website, not sure why..

29 minutes ago, t123han said:

Seriously how many languages you speak? 

Korean , Japanese , Chinese .... if I could speak all this 3 languages I would put a tent on their respective MA fansites. 

No, not at all! I only speak English, and very little korean. I just utilised Google Translate feature as my guide:D:D

• Like 7

I bit the bullet and translated the trilogy fanfic and have it mailed over to myself so that I can read at my own pace. 

Its a torture reading the google translated version and I am going bonkers trying to understand the head from the tail. 

But I will let myself go through this torture because at this point you serve me anything with MA in it, I will gladly accept it albeit the whole fanfic makes sense or not !!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, justamom said:

Of all the wonderful scenes in My Ahjussi, this was one of my favourite. In many ways, I feel this was the real farewell between Dong Hoon and Ji An.

They meet at their date spot, and chat about the chairman. Roaming camera shot from the outside. Then we get a close up of Ji An. The revelation that's about to shake Dong Hoon's world.

"I'm going to Pusan."

The camera backs away, leaving Dong Hoon and Ji An some privacy. 

Dong Hoon: "Why do you have to go that far?"

And because Soompi doesn't allow more than three photos I decided to post directly on Give Me Slippers. So you'll have to click here to read the rest of my post...LOL

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/07/05/you-who-saved-me-ji-ans-real-farewell/

Wow, this is so wonderfully analyzed. I feel like facial expressions and body language say a lot more than words do here in this scene.  And if you don't pay close attention and only want to hear words, then you will miss what's between the lines.  This reminds me of a quote someone left for one of the TVN clips on Youtube:

Unless you're a strict literalist who refuses to read between the lines and chooses to ignore all the signs and clues given throughout the drama, you can envision what will happen next between Dong-hoon and Ji-an.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

But @t123han, we have proofs from TVN directly that the way DH looked at JA was completely not LSK's own decision/mis-acting, he was most definitely directed to do so.  Not even in secret.  These are official pictures:

Love those pictures!

The way he's looking at her...

Borrowing LSK's own words from the interview:

(thanks @justamom for the translation)

What kind of director is PD Kim Won Suk?

LSG: If you were to sum up Kim Won Suk in one word, it's "conductor." I've worked with many directors to date, but PD Kim is the kind of director who, from what you hear on set to the entire atmosphere you see, he is someone with the superior ability to oversee every detail. He also has great acting skills (laughs). He even goes to the extent of monitoring really tiny details like the timing of your lines, truly a "conductor" who creates a great environment for actors to work in and makes everything on set go smoothly.

So, nothing in the drama happened without the director's knowledge and guidance.

PD Kim Won Suk is PDHxLJA biggest shipper :wub:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, justamom said:

Dong Hoon's special smiles for Ji An

I believe we only saw each of these smiles once in the entire drama. Blink and you'll miss it - it's only 1-2 seconds, but it gives us a glimpse into his affection for her.

And they said there was no loveline??

@h2ogirl gifs please :D 

They're literally 0.4 seconds long lol. This guy, Park Dong Hoon!!!

Dong Hoon's tongue in cheek smile, episode 16 as he tells her the credit goes to Sang Hoon, not him

4SI49jx.gif

The camera pans to Ji An's side profile, to show Dong Hoon catching a glimpse of her. And he's so happy to see her he smiles to himself, a smile he can't control, a smile showing his true feelings towards her.

tlRnThf.gif

(Made that one big to be used a future Featured pic, hehe.)

Making GIFs for the farewell post too, if that's what you'd prefer. ;) 

9 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

And I am totally stealing this from tumblr:

ahnyonagijibae:

He’s definitely NOT checking her out

JEEZ STOP PARK DONG HOON YOU SNEAKY BASTARD

(via eatalottransferstudent)

HAHA. My sister (who only watched MA once :wacko:) had the same interpretation too. But having rewatched MA at least 3 times, and knowing PDH fairly well, he was just taking a look at her office ID. He is a reaaally decent guy. But not a saint devoid of desires, as the platonic-loveliners make him out to be. :rolleyes: 

• Like 5
  • LOL 3