Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Hello @justamom, I'm here every day, only not logged in :);) .

Yes, I know the book. Meu pé de laranja lima (My sweet orange tree) is very popular in Brazil, through the book itself and also through movie and telenovelas (soap opera). Part of the book's success rests on its ability to be read, at the same time, as a child book and as an adult book.

It took me a bit of time to understand that Zeze is Zezé (it makes a huge difference in portuguese) lol.  Zezé is a five yo boy, very precocious and prankish, who learned to read alone and lives in a transition between real world and fantasy: he has a great imagination, but at the same time has a deep understanding (for his age) of reality. Due to his pranks, he is severely punished by his family. Only his sweet sister (Glória) can sometimes save him. He has two friends: the orange tree (Minguinho - who is still young and which first blooming happens at the end of the story) and an old portuguese immigrant. 

Making comparison between Zezé, the young orange tree and IU's lyrics, I really understand why one can see it as an erotic song. I don't know if this is widespread, but in my country, a flower can be a symbol of virginity, and to say to take "the flower" is a metaphor of to take the woman's virginity.  I will not deal with other words in IU's song, but it seems to me that the lyrics of her song can be seen as very controversial, in special in a conservative country like Korea. 

Bye! :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I think the controversy that plagued MA especially at the beginning was due to a combination of LJE's persona and status as IU, the idol and nation's little sister and the fact that her partner LSK is really more actor than celebrity and not exactly your typical onscreen oppa in terms of looks. 

No offense meant to LJE or any of her fans and not to undermine her efforts to completely shed her cutesy idol image but I don't think it's something that will go away easily, especially since it was the image that endeared her to the public.  There will be those who will not be able to accept the fact that IU has grown up and is choosing to broaden her horizons as an artist.  And I think they are those who will find it hard to accept that she would want to eventually become a serious actress, and everything else that comes with it.  

As for LSK, let's face it.  if you look at most of the KDramas out there, you can count on your hands those whose leads (whether male or female) actually look like real, ordinary people.  Most of them are populated with actors (mostly idols or former idols) who have been obviously beautified.  And they're almost always dressed impeccably, no matter the social status of their character.  Eye candy, more often than not.  Obviously, a lot of people expected LJE's leading man to be someone along those lines because she's pretty and a former idol.  From what I've observed, Korean audiences are very particular about the "visuals" of their drama leads.  That's probably the reason why I also read a lot of comments from MA viewers who shipped Ji An with Kwang Il (even if it was totally wrong) because they thought he was very handsome and they're still quite hung up on IU's video where he played her character's love interest.  But then, I don't think those typical "oppa" actors would have made Park Dong Hoon come alive as LSK did.  And he wouldn't have become memorable.  

I think MA was very important to LJE because it was a major step towards being emancipated from her old idol image and becoming an actress.  Not only did she work with a director and a writer who are excellent in their craft and known to be so, but she acted with real actors, and when I say "real" I mean thespians.  The kind that actually do it professionally.  All of her fellow actors in MA are veterans of the film and stage and some of them actually teach in universities.  These are the people who take their craft seriously.  Someone like LJE would definitely learn a lot from them.  That's why it's good to know that her fellow actors have praised her acting and see her not as the idol IU but as the actress LJE.  This was very clear in their words when they sent her video greetings on her birthday (they call her Lee Ji Eun and not IU) and in interviews post-drama.  These actors brought out the best in her, acting-wise, and LJE knows that.  

On another note, there were some references to Goblin since that drama also had an age gap between the leads.  I read that Goblin also encountered some controversy in the beginning not just because of the age gap but because they didn't really know much about Kim Go Eun and found her "not pretty".  Kim Go Eun is more like LSK in the sense that she's an actress and not a celebrity.  But the ratings proved that she and Gong Yoo did have good chemistry as far as the viewers were concerned (although I'm sure the ratings were also helped by the many Gong Yoo fans who missed seeing him on the small screen).  :)  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

No problem. We can agree that we have a different definition of what "cutesy image" is than:P

For me "cutesy image" is the one that was force upon her by her agency after her debut flop to appeal to the mass.

E.g

Spoiler

I do not consider her natural self as "cutesy image" cause that is unfair as it is part who she is.

Also I do not consider Mon Cher, Kdpharm CF as "cutesy image" cause they are not marketing it with her "cutesy image" as a focus but with her "healing" image as the focus. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, justamom said:

I feel like we've been down this road before. And I'm cool with Lee Ji Eun and think she's awesome and super talented :D 

But the poll says "idol survey"

And most women in their thirties and forties no longer have "idols"

:glasses:

That is all.

Just to enlighten us, how hard she pave her own road to be IU the best solo singer, song writer, producer a genius true actress.

She overcome all the low expactation about her talent to fueld her imagination to proved their judgment far for profesionalism that's way she  challenge herself to be a profesional in all aspect Indeed IU is queen of k.pop Lee jieun is genius actress.

• Like 7

Kim Won Suk just posted on his FB regarding the me too movement and the controversy surrounding my Ahjussi

Another updated comment:

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=58251&page=1

I'm so frustrated to see this. I can't even imagine how the creators Kim Won Suk, Park Hae Young themselves would feel for their work to be misunderstood like this. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, justamom said:

I spy with my little eye....the one and only @seungshin!!! I am waiting to hear your thoughts on the show!

You're funny.  I did marathoned the drama this past weekend.  I will never do that again.  I say that every time.  Its too painful.  I was a zombie on Monday.  Still feeling fuzzy in my head.  I am a big fan of IU (love her songs) and LSK (his acting and yes his voice) so this was a treat. Pretty heavy story though.  The filming reminded me of Misaeng which I loved.  Didn't see Signal or OHY so can't compare with them.  This gives me completely different vibes and feel from SLA (Secret Love Affair) but I don't know how to explain how and why.  In fact, I am completely unable to say more about the drama as of yet, which is why I started reading the forum from the beginning.  I think I got to about page 20 so far.  This is where you probably saw me.  I will try to read some more and get back to you all :)  Cheers!

PS:  Hello to everyone on the forum!

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, seungshin said:

You're funny.  I did marathoned the drama this past weekend.  I will never do that again.  I say that every time.  Its too painful.  I was a zombie on Monday.  Still feeling fuzzy in my head.  I am a big fan of IU (love her songs) and LSK (his acting and yes his voice) so this was a treat. Pretty heavy story though.  The filming reminded me of Misaeng which I loved.  Didn't see Signal or OHY so can't compare with them.  This gives me completely different vibes and feel from SLA (Secret Love Affair) but I don't know how to explain how and why.  In fact, I am completely unable to say more about the drama as of yet, which is why I started reading the forum from the beginning.  I think I got to about page 20 so far.  This is where you probably saw me.  I will try to read some more and get back to you all :)  Cheers!

PS:  Hello to everyone on the forum!

Welcome, @seungshin!  Long time resident happy to see you here.  Hope you share your thoughts once you're ready.

• Like 3

IU's cutesy image was built up by her agency at the beginning.  In recent years, I think she now calls the shots at her agency.  She writes the lyrics and produces her recent albums.  And these recent albums have shed the cutesy image in my opinion.

I don't think IU targets a specific audience/demographic. She produces songs that are precious and close to her thoughts, the songs will speak to a wide range of age groups:

• People younger than her will imagine that that's what they will go through in the future
  • People at the same age will resonate with her
  • People older will reminisce their past

I don't think IU can simply be defined by the clothes she wears in CFs or on the stage (like the recent birthday fan meet which later aired My Mister on the big screen) but more the heart and soul that she sings and acts.

If I may share a little bit more, I really love Dear Name in her Palette album.  Under ">Reveal hidden contents" below:

I'm so glad Palette by IU won album of the year at the Melon Awards because there is one specific song that needs to be an anthem for the lost, the alone, the heart broken, the hurt. If you still don't know what song I'm talking about, it is “Dear Name”, the final song on IU's incredibly moving album. I fell in love with this song instantly and I already know what the song is about. It's about the lives of those related to victims of the Sewol Tragedy. The song talks about their pain and struggles to move on after the incident. However, I'd like to take a stab at looking at the lyrics without the tragedy in mind. I just want to read the lyrics as if I was IU writing them. 

More under ">Reveal hidden contents" below:

Spoiler
Picture
The voice I long for even in my dreams
I call out the name but there’s no answer
Only the tearful echo returns
And I listen to that sound by myself

IU starts out this phenomenal song by expressing her desire to be with a loved one that is no longer around. “The voice I long for even in my dreams” makes the assumption that the person doesn't exist on the earth anymore. She continues singing “I call out the name but there's no answer” confirming the non-existence of this person in this world. The last two lines dwell on the empty feeling of missing someone and possibly not having closure with that person.

Even if it’s so cold, it feels like it’ll break
I won’t ever let go this time
The hands of that day that has gotten so far away
Through the night that was endlessly long and thick and dark
I know your wish has silently disappeared
I’ll wait for a long time, I will definitely find you

IU is thinking to herself that if she had a second chance to keep that person nearby, she'd never let go. She regrets the day that she lost this person. The last line of the stanza “I'll wait for a long time, I will definitely find you” is basically IU saying that she'll meet this person again in Heaven. In death.
Picture

Even if you’re so far that I can’t see you
Let’s go, to the place at the tip of dawn
The child who stands in front of me without fail
Head hanging low but never crying
When I sadly hold out my hand, the child runs away
So I hold onto the empty air by myself

This stanza is incredibly sad. The imagery here is so profound. “Let's go to the place at the tip of the dawn”. I like to imagine this line is saying she wants to meet this person at the edge of dream and consciousness. That moment before you wake up. “When I sadly hold out my hand, the child runs away so I hold onto the empty air by myself”. To be presented with a concept such as this within a song that is so short is unbelievable. She's telling the listener that she reached out, in her dreams, for this person, this child and the only thing that remains is the cold, empty air.

Even if it hurts so much
I won’t forget this time
The words that waited so long by itself

This portion of the song changes with each refrain and IU is singing about not letting go of the memories even though they may hurt and may be hard to keep, she will keep holding on.

Through the night that was endlessly long and thick and dark
I know your wish has silently disappeared
I’ll wait for a long time, I will definitely find you

Even if you’re so far that I can’t see you
Through the endlessly lost, cold and cruel days
I know your name that has silently been forgotten
I won’t stop, I’ll shout out several times

Even if you’re so far that I can’t believe it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Kim Won Suk just posted on his FB regarding the me too movement and the controversy surrounding my Ahjussi

Another updated comment:

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=58251&page=1

I'm so frustrated to see this. I can't even imagine how the creators Kim Won Suk, Park Hae Young themselves would feel for their work to be misunderstood like this. 

I'll try and translate it later, but apparently a journalist made negative comments about the violent scenes between Ji An and Gwang Il and Ji An's response "you like me, don't you."

@seungshin the whole time I was watching My Ahjussi I thought, this is totally your type of show and wouldn't it be nice to hear your thoughts. I remember reading your comments on the Secret Love Affair, On the Way to the Airport and The Good Wife threads and always appreciating your thoughtful interpretations :) 

You're right. My Ahjussi isn't a drama to marathon. It's really heavy.

(edit)

I don't know what is wrong with these guys. "You like me, don't you" - I thought that was a brilliant line that described their relationship and went straight to the heart of their conflict. That many men commit violence against women they actually love (or think they love), and they are the ones who most need healing. And it matched so perfectly with Gwang Il's confession later in the story - "I don't know if I should kill you. Or kill myself."

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Another one on the never-ending translation list! This one is gold.

This is a film critic's perspective of the screenwriting, cinematography and shot composition of My Ahjussi, using the Caution Electricity Scene. 

What I think @timidjock0819 also mentioned earlier...going away from close-ups to show emotion, but instead panning out to wide shots to highlight the character's isolation and loneliness

http://leesunok.com/archives/630

Anyone know who is Lee Sun Ok?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mylovelystar said:

Mnet using the My Mister hashtag (Japanese language) for this tweet promoting LSG 

This is a part of the show promoted above (TAXI)...

There's a brief translation of their talk in comment section... 

He's so funny :D

There are other parts in YouTube but don't have translation :(

Sorry, if anyone else have posted this video before in this forum...

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, justamom said:

Another one on the never-ending translation list! This one is gold.

This is a film critic's perspective of the screenwriting, cinematography and shot composition of My Ahjussi, using the Caution Electricity Scene. 

What I think @timidjock0819 also mentioned earlier...going away from close-ups to show emotion, but instead panning out to wide shots to highlight the character's isolation and loneliness

http://leesunok.com/archives/630

Anyone know who is Lee Sun Ok?

@justamom, have you seen this one?  It also talks about the director's creative use of his camera to show what is inside Dong Hoon's heart.  Google seems to do a good job translating if anyone wants to take a look.   

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=58258&page=1

• Like 2

@justamom  so many goodies you've shared!  I don't know what to look at first.  I'll hold off reading them for the weekend.  :)

@mylovelystar  LSK is so different from Park Dong Hoon!  Just goes to show that he's a highly-skilled actor for him to transform into someone so totally opposite of who he is in real life.  But it's good that MA is being promoted in Japan.  It will bode well for LSK's career too since he will broaden his audience and more people will get to appreciate his brilliance as an actor.  :)

Anyway, I want to share a photo but I've forgotten how to do that.  Can someone tell me how?  Thanks!  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

@justamom  so many goodies you've shared!  I don't know what to look at first.  I'll hold off reading them for the weekend.  :)

@mylovelystar  LSK is so different from Park Dong Hoon!  Just goes to show that he's a highly-skilled actor for him to transform into someone so totally opposite of who he is in real life.  But it's good that MA is being promoted in Japan.  It will bode well for LSK's career too since he will broaden his audience and more people will get to appreciate his brilliance as an actor.  :)

Anyway, I want to share a photo but I've forgotten how to do that.  Can someone tell me how?  Thanks!  

You can right click to "copy image" the original photo, then ctrl-v to paste it here.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:27 PM, berny said:

THIS AGE GAP BROU-HAHA

Please do not judge me for saying this.... but I've been wanting to say this for so long already.

I have nothing against ahjummas or middle-aged women, we will all get older/mature eventually anyway.  And there is always that graceful way to get old, and still look just as fabulous, and be a woman of substance.  ;)

But I think all these over-the-top reactions to age gaps, criticizing if the male lead is way older than the female lead, but exalting if it is the female lead who is older --- seems to do just one thing ...TO FEED THE AHJUMMAS FANTASIES.... that whether guys are old or young, all will fall only for them and not for those cutesy, youthful type.  Now that is just delusional. UNREALISTIC. (knowing how the male species operate and behave--- well i'm not generalizing though :sweatingbullets: hahha).

The ahjummas in Korea might be really scary ...for Kdrama storylines to bend-over-backwards for them all the time.

Years ago, after finishing a hiking trip with a group of my people, we ate at an upscale mexican restaurant in a very upscale beach front area.....  What was striking (besides the various shiny foreign cars that drove in for valet parking) were the clientelle which included mostly fathers and young daughters!   This reader guess that most of these fathers are widowers....

Some of my people were making disparate comments about these couples..... so this reader told them "no, they are probably father-daughters coming to eat together, what is wrong with that!".  This reader was convinced of this... although it was a little bid difficult reconciling that some of these father-daughter are not of even of the same race!  For some reason, my people were not too convinced!

So the Ahjummas can dream on while they do the dishes!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • LOL 3

2 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

Years ago, after finishing a hiking trip with a group of my people, we ate at an upscale mexican restaurant in a very upscale beach front area.....  What was striking (besides the various shiny foreign cars that drove in for valet parking) were the clientelle which included mostly fathers and young daughters!   This reader guess that most of these fathers are widowers....

Some of my people were making disparate comments about these couples..... so this reader told them "no, they are probably father-daughters coming to eat together, what is wrong with that!".  For some reason, my people were not too convinced!

So the Ahjummas can dream on while they do the dishes!

@tiger457_stv!!!  So glad to have you back.  I've missed your funny posts.

• Like 2