[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, justamom said:

Another one on the never-ending translation list! This one is gold.

This is a film critic's perspective of the screenwriting, cinematography and shot composition of My Ahjussi, using the Caution Electricity Scene. 

What I think @timidjock0819 also mentioned earlier...going away from close-ups to show emotion, but instead panning out to wide shots to highlight the character's isolation and loneliness

http://leesunok.com/archives/630

Anyone know who is Lee Sun Ok?

@justamom, have you seen this one?  It also talks about the director's creative use of his camera to show what is inside Dong Hoon's heart.  Google seems to do a good job translating if anyone wants to take a look.   

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=58258&page=1

• Like 2

@justamom  so many goodies you've shared!  I don't know what to look at first.  I'll hold off reading them for the weekend.  :)

@mylovelystar  LSK is so different from Park Dong Hoon!  Just goes to show that he's a highly-skilled actor for him to transform into someone so totally opposite of who he is in real life.  But it's good that MA is being promoted in Japan.  It will bode well for LSK's career too since he will broaden his audience and more people will get to appreciate his brilliance as an actor.  :)

Anyway, I want to share a photo but I've forgotten how to do that.  Can someone tell me how?  Thanks!  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

@justamom  so many goodies you've shared!  I don't know what to look at first.  I'll hold off reading them for the weekend.  :)

@mylovelystar  LSK is so different from Park Dong Hoon!  Just goes to show that he's a highly-skilled actor for him to transform into someone so totally opposite of who he is in real life.  But it's good that MA is being promoted in Japan.  It will bode well for LSK's career too since he will broaden his audience and more people will get to appreciate his brilliance as an actor.  :)

Anyway, I want to share a photo but I've forgotten how to do that.  Can someone tell me how?  Thanks!  

You can right click to "copy image" the original photo, then ctrl-v to paste it here.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:27 PM, berny said:

THIS AGE GAP BROU-HAHA

Please do not judge me for saying this.... but I've been wanting to say this for so long already.

I have nothing against ahjummas or middle-aged women, we will all get older/mature eventually anyway.  And there is always that graceful way to get old, and still look just as fabulous, and be a woman of substance.  ;)

But I think all these over-the-top reactions to age gaps, criticizing if the male lead is way older than the female lead, but exalting if it is the female lead who is older --- seems to do just one thing ...TO FEED THE AHJUMMAS FANTASIES.... that whether guys are old or young, all will fall only for them and not for those cutesy, youthful type.  Now that is just delusional. UNREALISTIC. (knowing how the male species operate and behave--- well i'm not generalizing though :sweatingbullets: hahha).

The ahjummas in Korea might be really scary ...for Kdrama storylines to bend-over-backwards for them all the time.

Years ago, after finishing a hiking trip with a group of my people, we ate at an upscale mexican restaurant in a very upscale beach front area.....  What was striking (besides the various shiny foreign cars that drove in for valet parking) were the clientelle which included mostly fathers and young daughters!   This reader guess that most of these fathers are widowers....

Some of my people were making disparate comments about these couples..... so this reader told them "no, they are probably father-daughters coming to eat together, what is wrong with that!".  This reader was convinced of this... although it was a little bid difficult reconciling that some of these father-daughter are not of even of the same race!  For some reason, my people were not too convinced!

So the Ahjummas can dream on while they do the dishes!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • LOL 3

2 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

Years ago, after finishing a hiking trip with a group of my people, we ate at an upscale mexican restaurant in a very upscale beach front area.....  What was striking (besides the various shiny foreign cars that drove in for valet parking) were the clientelle which included mostly fathers and young daughters!   This reader guess that most of these fathers are widowers....

Some of my people were making disparate comments about these couples..... so this reader told them "no, they are probably father-daughters coming to eat together, what is wrong with that!".  For some reason, my people were not too convinced!

So the Ahjummas can dream on while they do the dishes!

@tiger457_stv!!!  So glad to have you back.  I've missed your funny posts.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@tiger457_stv!!!  So glad to have you back.  I've missed your funny posts.

have eyes issues!  can't get on internet for too long.  terrible head ache and eye strain!  But can't help but get on My Ajusshi…. dr order or not!  so a few minutes per day can't hurt! hahaha

@justamom wonders what this reader was telling about the restaurant.  at that time back in 2000, I actually tried to believe those people at the restaurant were in fact father-daughters, to give them the benefit of the doubt.  beside it wasn't any of my business.... but those working with me, were very nosy, so I insisted that they were indeed parent-children.   In any case in Korea many working ajummas obviously prefer story about Bab-noona, and such stories because that is their fantasies...as @bernie said.  Life however is different as seen by my example above.... there were a lot of fathers-daughters at the restaurant, but no mother-son!

• Like 4

I fail to understand how pretty noona became a hit it did till the end. Nothing against people who stuck with it till the end, in fact I was more in love with this drama during the initial phase. I watched first 4 episodes multiple times and was in love with both the characters. Things stared going downhill for this drama when they bought mom into picture and gave so much focus on her. 

I couldn’t stand to watch the mom and the way they portrayed song ye Jin as spineless character irked me to no end. 

At the same time my ajhussi started picking up heat and we had one badass of female character in jian and I couldn’t help myself being pulled into this drama. 

It was refreshing to see workplace harassment being discussed in pretty noona and I was eager to know the end result. But the way they handled it baffles me to no end ... I mean what are you trying to convey that we should not report any harassment bc in the end it’s women who might end up suffering ... what was PD smoking  before coming up with such ending. It literally discouraging women who muster up the courage to fight against such harassment in workplace !!!!!

On the other hand I liked the workplace politics shown in my ajhussi ... even PDH who pretty much played deaf to initial problems he faced in office, grew balls in the end to defend jian.

I am sorry I just can’t help compare every damn drama out there from this point onwards to my ajhussi. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, akhenaten said:

@t123han  I think everyone who's seen and appreciated MA will always end up using it as a yardstick for other dramas. It was so well-written, well-directed, superbly acted. Overall a brilliantly executed production. :)

@mylovelystar That's strange,  because MA was a hit,  wasn't it? 

I thought MA was a hit, too.  And certainly very well loved by those who watched.  Seems like many still can't let go of the issues that sparked the controversies in the first place. :(

Here's the original Korean article if anyone wants to attempt to read it herself:

http://www.topstarnews.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=444047

• Like 6

6 hours ago, arctichare said:

I'm not sure if this has already been shared or not but this fan made trailer for Ji An is sooooo cool.

Turn on the subtitles when you watch it.

WOW that stare at 0:59-1:05. The background music, the voiceover - so powerful! 

Im still here lurking in the background! :sweatingbullets:

I guess we’ll never really move on from MA lol. 

Yes hopefully the posts you mentioned get translated @justamom. Would love to read them all and its fascinating that the korean audience hasn’t been able to move on yet like us. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks! :)
  • Like 8

Honestly Ji An is such a cool character. I mean she's a natural born spy. The NSA would be lucky to have her.

James Bond who? Jason Bourne what? They got nothing on our girl.

Watching that fan made trailer just made me crave for a 10k au fic where Ji An is in some sort of law enforcement agency. An up and coming rookie who is talented but unable to make much headway into the closed off boys' club that is the Agency.

So she when she gets a particularly difficult case she has no choice but to team up with the even more reticent older agent Park Dong Hoon. A man from whom great things were expected but his safety first approach has stalled his professional life and left his personal life in shambles.

Dong Hoon can instantly recognize her natural talent but is baffled (and a little scared) of her reckless nature. But he has no choice other than teaming up with her to solve this case if he wants to keep his job.

The more they work together, the more they realize how similar they are. But will they be able to trust each other??

Stay tuned for the next episode of...

(Am I basically writing fanfiction now?? What has this show done to me!?)

• Like 11
  • LOL 3

42 minutes ago, arctichare said:

Honestly Ji An is such a cool character. I mean she's a natural born spy. The NSA would be lucky to have her.

Watching that fan made trailer just made me crave for a 10k au fic where Ji An is in some sort of law enforcement agency. An up and coming rookie who is talented but unable to make much headway into the closed off boys' club that is the Agency.

So she when she gets a particularly difficult case she has no choice but to team up with the even more reticent older agent Park Dong Hoon. A man from whom great things were expected but his safety first approach has stalled his professional life and left his personal life in shambles.

Dong Hoon can instantly recognize her natural talent but is baffled (and a little scared) of her reckless nature. But he has no choice other than teaming up with her to solve this case if he wants to keep his job.

The more they work together, the more they realize how similar they are. But will they be able to trust each other??

Wow I could really see that in my mind :lol: that was good!! Pleaseeee pleaseee pleaseeeeee let them work together on a drama again. They just have to :bawling:

• Like 10

On 7/1/2018 at 3:44 AM, widala said:

Everytime I see this picture, I imagine a spin off where Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An take a side job together as amateur detectives, solving petty crimes around Hugye neighborhoods, such as finding missing things, catching a prankster and stuff...

Their methods often clash, because PDH thinks hers are "illegal and unsavory", while LJA thinks his are "lame and unnecessary complicated"....

But, it's highly effective! 

And sometimes Ki Beom helps them with some hacking...

Sorry, I just miss them so much...:tears:

5 hours ago, arctichare said:

@arctichare, did you see @widala's post earlier?  She and you obviously need to team up together to write us this fan-fic.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, akhenaten said:

@t123han  I think everyone who's seen and appreciated MA will always end up using it as a yardstick for other dramas. It was so well-written, well-directed, superbly acted. Overall a brilliantly executed production. :)

@mylovelystar That's strange,  because MA was a hit,  wasn't it? 

Yes it was.

The reception section of 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Mister

put it succinctly:

“The drama was a critical and commercial success, consistently topping the cable television viewership ratings in its timeslot. Its final episode recorded a 7.352% nationwide audience share according to Nielsen paid platform making the episode one of the highest rated in Korean cable television history.[17]My Mister drew a solid average viewership rating of 5% for a cable TV show and topped the Contents Power Index (CPI) rankings,[18] as well as the TV popularity ranking, six times during its nine week run.[19]

Spoiler

The drama received critical acclaim for its screenplay and direction. The cast similarly received praise for their performances, which viewers called 'life work' for all of the actors.[20][17]

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, mylovelystar said:

Airs tonight at 7 in Japan. 

@SPTV_hanryu and Mnet Japan’s tweets today:

The LSK-IU greetings are just slightly different from each other, and so far we've seen three.  How many of these did they shoot?  And it looks like MNET is releasing something different every week?  Hopefully they have many more up their sleeves.  Anyone knows how the show is doing in Japan?  Which episodes are released this week?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

The LSK-IU greetings are just slightly different from each other, and so far we've seen three.  How many of these did they shoot?  And it looks like MNET is releasing something different every week?  Hopefully they have many more up their sleeves.  Anyone knows how the show is doing in Japan?  Which episodes are released this week?

Mnet Japan released 2 vids (7 sec and 12 sec in duration)

@SPTV_hanryu released a 15 sec vid

According to the link given by the above @SPTV_hanryu tweet, the first episode will be broadcast today at 7 PM JST.

Hence, might be too early for reviews.  SKY PerfecTV! is direct broadcast satellite, the audience will likely be smaller than NHK, TBS, Fuji TV, TV Asahi, Nippon TV.

Ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKY_PerfecTV!

SKY PerfecTV! (スカパー! Sukapā!) is a direct broadcast satellite (DBS) service that provides satellite television, audio programming, and interactive television services to households in Japan"

Second episode scheduled on 7/14 at 10 PM JST.

See my screenshot of the page at bangumi.skyperfectv.co.jp/P/query:%E7%A7%81%E3%81%AE%E3%81%8A%E3%81%98%E3%81%95%E3%82%93/ 

qETswQL.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4