[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

11 minutes ago, andius said:

OMG!!!! Thank you so much @rellea @mylovelystarfor discovering that gem! I'm silently freaking out at work here..

I think there is hope for more revealing/interesting interviews and materials from the Japanese side in the upcoming weeks. After all, the drama has just aired over there and it's understandable if the interviewers don't want to discuss their relationship yet, since it's more developed towards the end.

What you said makes a lot of sense.  I am desperately hoping the Japanese reaction would be more like here at Soompi than at Dramabeans.  That they would fall crazy in love with these two and their love story for the ages.  Then perhaps at the end of the show's run they would even invite them back for more interviews together.

• Like 12

O

M

F

G

are you trying to send me into an early grave omg

I need to take a bathroom break just because I can’t simply keep a poker face seeing them smiling at each other so sweetly like that after weeks of radio silence and no new materials...

@sadiesmith I am sure that Japanese audience is more receptive to age-gap relationships... let’s cross our fingers

• Like 7
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, t123han said:

Yes that’s the only fanfic site and I have devoured all the content like a hungry ghost!!!! 

And OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks at these two  together ..... my eyes can’t take it . Japanese audience are lucky ... how bad we were waiting for a pic of them together. 

How can you call it human story and put that pic where they look SO DAM CUTE !!!!

forget it ... I will just have to learn Japanese now :) 

Happy 4th of July to everyone:) I hope everybody  is having a good mid week so far. @t123han your comment is so hilarious that I almost choke on my coffee:lol:. And I agree LSG and LJE are so damn cute!:wub: especially the photo where they were staring at each other. I am really trying to get over them but darn it!! that freaking spark between them and uber cuteness always gets me a little crazy. So I have to rant about it here in the mother ship.  It is so disappointing that the Japanese MNET press did better promotions than TVN Korea. Oh yeah, TVN caved in 100 percent to the controversies during My Ajusshi Korean broadcast. No wonder LJE and LSG never have an interview together  aside from the cast press conference. So I am grateful to the Japanese promotions because at least we have photos of them looking so damn cute together!! The way it should have been from the beginning..  OMFG:wub: I almost screamed like a schoolgirl in a crowded train when I saw these photos. Thank you @mylovelystar for the pics.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I am on bathroom break now viewing all this images and my heart can’t take it !!! 

Their pictures together are adorable and nothing like the mood in drama. 

I wonder why they put out such pictures in Japanese media which gives an impression that they are couple. 

They look nothing like siblings/ father-daughter. 

They look CUTE and totally like a young couple. 

Need to to get back to work but how Can I with these two cuties staring right out of mobile screen !!! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

3 hours ago, rellea said:

HOLY richard simmons WHAT. WHAT. I NEED ALL JAPANESE SPEAKERS IN HERE STAT!!

@justamom and whoever else!!!

I LOVE YOU, JAPAN. GOD BLESS YOU.

Edit: I ran it through the ol' google translate and using my limited Japanese I finnagled out what the questions were. Might not be completely accurate:

Is there any line or scene from the drama that touched you?

Have you seen any of the director's other works? How is this drama different from them?

The OST is quite nice. Was there a particular song that you liked?

To LSK: What was it like working with Lee Ji-Ah (the actress who played PDH's wife)?

To LJE: What was it like working with Jang Kiyong (the actor who played KI)?

Is there any particular place in Korea you would recommend to the female readers of Marisol fashion magazine in their 40s?

Bums me out that they asked about YH and KI but didn't ask them how it was working with each other.

Doesn't seem like there was much substance in this interview, sadly. Maybe they're being careful to avoid the same issue there was in Korea in Japan. They're selling the drama pretty hard as a "human story" there from what I saw.

I saw @rellea's  post during lunch with colleagues and oh my god the whole lunch break I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to get away to read this!!! And totally not listening to anything anyone was saying. OMG OMG OMG!!!! They went off for coffee and I ran back to the office :love:

Translation below, and this is quick cos I don't need the dictionary, hehe

"Here we are, IU and Lee Seon Gyun from 'life drama' My Ahjussi"

There must be many lines that remain in your heart, but what were the most memorable scenes/lines for you?"

LSG: The most memorable must be 'it's no big deal' (amu geotto aniyo). It's just my opinion, but even the most bitter things will pass and beome nothing, and even if something good were to happen it's important to go on with things as normal and not get overly exuberant.

LJE: For me, it's the scene between Dong Hoon and Jeong Hee when he asked, "why is love so cheap and shameless?" and Jeong Hee answers, "don't you know? That's because you're not in love." The OST A Million Roses then plays in the background, apropos of the scene. It made me think a lot about love, and really influenced me deep inside.

Have you watched the director's works before? How is he different from other directors?

LSG: Yes, of course. How he is different...I've worked with many directors before, and if you were to sum up Kim Won Suk in one word, it's "conductor." From what you hear at the set, to the atmosphere, he is superb at considering every single detail. As detailed as the timing of every single line, he really prepares an environment for actors to use their skills easily, a conductor who ensures that everything on set goes smoothly.

The OST songs are very good, but was there any song that stood out for you?

LSG: Every song has remained in my heart, but it has to be "Adult". I think it's the song that's played most often in the drama. It's of course fine to just listen to the OST, but I think its even more effective to listen to the songs together with the drama.

LJE: It's the same for me. It's the kind of song where just hearing the introduction makes my heart stop, and I return immediately to the world of the drama. I think I can proudly say that this OST is a masterpiece.

Lee Seon Gyun, what did you think of your joint performance with Lee Ji Ah?

LSG: She's full of life and character. Dong Hoon and Yoon Hee in the drama fight almost every day and their relationship in almost all the scenes is really bad, and they also drink a lot. Wouldn't it be good if we also had scenes where we got along in a good relationship while drinking, we also said.

Lee Ji Eun, what did you think of your joint performance with Jang Ki Yong?

LJE: Ki Yong-sshi was in two of my music videos, but as a sweet lover on my side. But in this drama we hate each other so much we want to kill each other, and I thought oh wouldn't it be interesting if we continue acting against each other like this in the future (laughs). At the set we kept a distance between ourselves, not having any private conversation, in order to become Ji An and Gwang Il. In many of our scenes I get beaten up, and in all those scenes he did his very best to make sure I didn't get hurt and was comfortable (laughs). Ki Yong-sshi is really good at action scenes and it helped me a lot.

Are there any places you would recommend in Korea for a magazine whose audience is women in their 40s?

LSG: Gwanghwamun and Jongro. It's something I've realised on recent vacations, but when you travel overseas it's good to spend a few days to experience the country. Each country has very different styles, and with your limited itinerary you only see one side and feel the atmosphere in that country, isn't it? Bearing that in mind, I hope they would see Gwanghwamun and Jongro. The atmosphere is great and there are also moments of quiet beauty...I think those are great spaces.

LJE:  For me it's Gwangjang Market. There's a lot to see and eat, and in one place you can see many different things. I think it's full of life and very Korean. It's the kind of atmosphere you don't see in Japan, isn't it. I'm sure many of you might have seen it already, but I still recommend it.

---------------------------------

Re: Dong Hoon and Jeong Hee's scene -- did Dong Hoon say "Saram" (humans) or "Sarang" (love)?? I thought it was humans??

(edit) just saw there's more in @mylovelystar's post...getting to it!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 9

To bad, they still avoid the mine topic why we get hook with  this drama, why they so considerate to asked the basic of viewers intention to knew about the nature of JianDonghon relathionship, LSG-LJE chimestry is beyond to utter.

Just remember all of their scene made me felt ache lonely but yet full of love and anticipation.

They should wear a wedding costum for this pic.B) (anyone with photoshop skill please)

IMG_20180704_141726.jpg

IMG_20180704_131644.jpg

IMG_20180704_131707.jpg

• Like 11

M-Net Official Interview

http://jp.mnet.com/news/newsdetail.m?searchNewsVO.news_id=20180704100541

Please introduce yourselves.

LSG: I'm Lee Seon Gyun who acted as Park Dong Hoon in My Ahjussi. Nice to meet you.

LJE: I'm Lee Ji Eun who acted as Lee Ji An. Pleased to meet you.

Could you tell us how you came to work on this drama?

LSG: I came to act in this drama through PD Kim Won Suk. I got an offer from him, and was really happy. Of course, there were other reasons, but I thought if it's his production I have to appear in it.

LJE: When I heard it was a tag team with PD Kim Won Suk and screenwriter Park Hae Young, I thought this is definitely going to become a great production, without a doubt. Then I started to read the script and it was so interesting I finished it at one shot. After that I met with PD Kim, and while we discussed a lot he told me "you fit Lee Ji An down to a T". With his vote of confidence, I decided to challenge myself and give it a try.

What kind of director is PD Kim Won Suk?

LSG: If you were to sum up Kim Won Suk in one word, it's "conductor." I've worked with many directors to date, but PD Kim is the kind of director who, from what you hear on set to the entire atmosphere you see, he is someone with the superior ability to oversee every detail. He also has great acting skills (laughs). He even goes to the extent of monitoring really tiny details like the timing of your lines, truly a "conductor" who creates a great environment for actors to work in and makes everything on set go smoothly.

LJE: I feel the same. He's a director with really great acting skills (laughs)

With regards to your acting, was there any point that you emphasised?

LSG: I tried to remain faithful to the script. When thinking about how to express the contents of the script, PD Kim said to remain faithful to the script, and bearing that in mind since he is the one who is shooting, I had multiple discussions with him on how Dong Hoon as written in the script should be expressed. We did a lot of character analysis and explanations, but the most important point was on how Park Dong Hoon should come across.

LJE: I also did my best to act faithfully according to the script. Reading the script alone, there were many parts I empathised with and I just remained true to my understanding of the contents and put in my heart to act naturally.

The drama conveys a message of "happiness". What is happiness to both of you?

LSG: This is really trivial but I think it's in the "calm" in everyday life. I think it's about being able to feel "achievement" and "satisfaction" while doing your work.

LJE: Until now, being able to jest with your friends, the joy you feel when in a very stimulating environment, those times when you laugh, I thought that was happiness. But it's changed for me recently. Like my character's name (to reach comfort), to be able to be happy even when you're not laughing, that sort of peace and calm you feel, that I think is real happiness.

Question for Lee Seon Gyun. What was it like acting with Lee Ji Ah?

LSG: Ji Ah is full of life , a great person with really good character. Dong Hoon and Yoon Hee in the drama fight almost every day and their relationship in almost all the scenes is really bad, and they also drink a lot together. Wouldn't it be good if we also had scenes where we got along well while drinking, we said many times (laughs).

A scene that made your heart stop?

LSG: There were so many...even just reading the script made my heart stop. All of the scenes I shot with Ji Eun and Ji Ah, all of the scenes of the three brothers. And the scene with Omma, I can't express it well, but I felt something beyond the script. Really, you can say that all the scenes moved my heart.

Question for IU. What was it like acting with Jang Ki Yong?

LJE: Ki Yong-sshi was in two of my music videos, but as my sweet lover. But in this drama we hate each other so much we want to kill each other, and I thought oh wouldn't it be interesting if we continue acting against each other like this in the future (laughs). At the set we kept a distance between ourselve and didn't talk, in order to become Ji An and Gwang Il. In many of our scenes I get beaten up, and in all those scenes he did his very best to make sure I didn't get hurt and was comfortable (laughs). Ki Yong-sshi is really good at action scenes and it helped me a lot.

How was the mood on the set while shooting?

LSG: Everyone was fully focused on their characters, creating a really interesting environment. There was no one who thought they wanted to do something interesting or just have a lot of fun (t/n: I think he means to outshine the others). Everyone wanted to create a great production, and there just was natural joy that came from that. It felt that we were all producing the show together (laughs).

LJE: I will always remember shooting the scenes with the Ahjussis from Hugye-dong. Almost 90% of those scenes were ad-libbed. The tempo of the dialogue was great and it really was as though a group of Ahjussis had gotten together and had a great time. Everyone continued talking with the same tension and tone even when the cameras stopped rolling, and I ended up laughing even though I wasn't supposed to. I will definitely do my best not to laugh (laughs).

It's a production with many memorable lines. What were the lines you remember most?

LSG: The most memorable must be 'it's no big deal' (amu geotto aniyo). It's just my opinion, but even the most bitter things will pass and become nothing, and even if something good were to happen it's important to go on with things as normal and not get overly exuberant.

LJE: For me, it's the scene between Dong Hoon and Jeong Hee when he asked, "why is love so cheap and shameless?" and Jeong Hee answers, "don't you know? That's because you're not in love." The OST A Million Roses then plays in the background, apropos of the scene. It made me think a lot about love, and really influenced me deep inside.

This production's OST is full of memorable songs. Which one do you remember most?

LSG: Every song has remained in my heart, but it has to be "Adult". I think it's the song that's played most often in the drama. It's of course wonderful to just listen to the OST which is full of great songs, but I think the effect is the best if you listen to it while watching the drama.

LJE: It's the same for me. It's the kind of song where just hearing the introduction makes my heart stop, and it pulls me back immediately to the world of the drama. I think I can proudly say that this OST is a masterpiece.

Are there any other things you'd like to share about the drama?

LSG: The characters we play are somewhat dark and heavy, especially as IU gets hit (laughs). So if you watch at the beginning it might be difficult. But if you do watch, it is the kind of drama where you will get hooked on its way of seeing the world....so there is nothing in particular I would like to share. Please watch it from start to finish with an open heart.

LJE: It's hard (laughs) Let's see...in this drama you have Ji An's love and respect towards Dong Hoon, Ji An's love towards her grandmother, the love between family, the love between one human and another, it really tells us multiple stories of different kinds of love. But it doesn't try to instruct you on which type of love is right. I would be really happy if everyone can watch the drama and freely choose and share in the different kinds and shapes of love.

Last message please.

LSG: I was so happy to hear that My Ahjussi will be showin gin Japan. I hope that everyone will receive empathy and healing through this drama. Like I say to Ji An, may you reach your comfort. Please watch it.

LJE:  You may think from the start (t/n: of the series) that this is a dark and heavy story. But there's no one around me who said "I watched and regretted it". Right? (looks at LSG). I think everyone in Japan who watches it will definitely feel the same way. Please watch until the end, I hope you will become happy.

----

Me: It sounds like they had so much fun doing this interview!! All the side glances and mutual jokes..!!! They are like us, starved for a chance to look at each other and smile at each other in S Korea, but once outside, they are free!

(edit)

and I think Lee Ji Eun's statement - choose your own love from the story, is the most clear and obvious sign from the team so far!!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10

9 minutes ago, justamom said:

LSG: The character I play is somewhat dark and heavy, especially after IU gets hit by me (laughs). So if you watch at the beginning it might be difficult. But if you do watch, it is the kind of drama where you will get hooked on its way of seeing the world....so there is nothing in particular I would like to share. Please watch it from start to finish with an open heart.

LJE: It's hard (laughs) Let's see...in this drama you have Ji An's love and respect towards Dong Hoon, Ji An's love towards her grandmother, the love between family, the love between one human and another, it really tells us multiple stories of different kinds of love. But it doesn't try to instruct you on which type of love is right. I would be really happy if everyone can watch the drama and freely choose and share in the different kinds and shapes of love.

First of all a big thanks to @justamom for translating. Finally!  LJE mentioning about Jian's love for DH. Also LSG stating about having an open heart (non-judgmental) -  What a great interview! and I agree they were both more free to express themselves outside of SK. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@justamom, thank you for translation:wub:, the full interview ease my shipping heart, finally after long waiting:D

More apreciate Jieun answer about what a kind feeling and interpertion  to immerse in Jian character in this interview than what she did in IU tv.

IMG_20180704_131701.jpg

• Like 10

oh my heart!!

All those pics,,thank youuu @rellea @mylovelystar 

I was having lunch with my colleagues and at one time open this thread just to scan through it, and coming to that @rellea link of MA twitter in Japan, I was happy enough seeing the update on MA being promoted nicely in Japan, 

then I was ready to close the thread and  making mental notes to come back to it once the lunch session is over (to squee freely, haha),, but goodness me! next I saw more post, flooding with many more beautiful pics of DongHoon and JiAn, and there I was, staring, and at first couldn’t understand on what was going on here, I was like “are they stunts for DongHoon and JiAn or what??”, :D 

I was so pessimistic on seeing a day when they’ll be looking this bright and cute and just being great together.. :)

*I know I sound silly, just like teenagers who are fangirling on kpop idol or such, but for these two, I am even not embarassed on rivalling teenagers, :D

Thank youu to @justamom for translating the interviews, will surely read all of them once I’m safe and sound back at home, haha..

and just wanted to comment on that pic of polaroids of LSK and LJE in promotion material of MNet Japan, I’m quite sure it was the same materials with what we got from OST CD (I’ve just receieved it 2wks ago), each 1 polaroid of LSK and LJE (not in 1 frame of course), with their signatures, and it also comes with 20pages small photobook (stills from ep 1-12), sadly nothing much to see for me who wanted to see the bright and happy DH and JA in one frame (hello ep.15 and 16),,but I was happy enough that me ordering the CD is one way of me appreciating the hardwork they’ve put into making this beautiful drama :)

Now, I need to get back to work first, and maybe comment more later, hahaa..again, thanks a lot everyone! 

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

27 minutes ago, riazni said:

and just wanted to comment on that pic of polaroids of LSK and LJE in promotion material of MNet Japan, I’m quite sure it was the same materials with what we got from OST CD (I’ve just receieved it 2wks ago), each 1 polaroid of LSK and LJE (not in 1 frame of course), with their signatures, and it also comes with 20pages small photobook (stills from ep 1-12), sadly nothing much to see for me who wanted to see the bright and happy DH and JA in one frame (hello ep.15 and 16),,but I was happy enough that me ordering the CD is one way of me appreciating the hardwork they’ve put into making this beautiful drama :)

I received my OST CD package just a moment ago!

I ordered it about a month ago, and it arrived today :D

It's the first time I bought any merchandise from any drama I've watched, although there are some that I love very much (Kill Me Heal Me for example).

My Ahjussi really is a special drama...

• Like 8