[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

8 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

@tiger457_stv Sunbae-nim, you asked what Coffee Prince is about sometime ago, right? It's a romantic comedy that centers around the lives of the employer & employees of a café called "Coffee Prince". The concept of the shop is that the barristas (supposedly all-male) are called "princes". Things get complicated when the shop's owner (Choi Han Kyul) starts developing feelings for one of the barristas - a girl (Go Eun Chae) who pretends to be male in order to get better-paying jobs - and struggles with his "homosexuality". What sets this drama apart is how deftly it fleshes out weighty topics like dealing with one's sexuality, being swayed by someone else despite being in a long-term relationship, what femininity means or should mean, etc. It's not an ordinary rom-com, I assure you. Give it a chance and you'll be amazed at how thoughtful it is.

Well, you should probably warn @tiger457_stv that Lee Sun Kyun is playing a second lead here, so she wouldn’t be disappointed. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, hushhh said:

This isn't good.

It isn't good acting.

It is self-abuse.

It sends an awful lesson to young actors hearing a veteran respected actor say such awful stuff.

If that is his process how can I watch him punch Kim . DJY and LGI in the face and not worry about Young-Min and Chang Ki-Yong safety.

I am sure Kim Young Min and Jang Ki Young did not get hurt at all.  It was all so obviously fake in the BTS.  Never  sure how seriously I need to take your comments.

And if anyone needed to take a real hit, I sure hope everything was done with careful coaching and direction from experts in the field.

• Like 6

On MA's OST. 

I understand both "Adult" and "There's a Rainbow" as the OTP's songs. I will forever relate these songs to them. 

If I'm not got it wrong, they are used in different moments, to convey different OTP's actions that bind them to each other: I would say, figuratively, "Adult" refers to "syncronic action time" and  "There's a Rainbow" refers to "diacronic action time". "Adult" is normaly used when they are sharing a "same time" and/or "same space": walking together, eating together, speaking to each other, thinking on each other at the same moment. "There's a Rainbow" is mostly used when one is trying to reach the other, and normaly it expressed by motion: running; I would say that DH calling JA at the end of episode 16 can also be understood as a "reaching" movement. 

• Like 12

6 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I love your ending.  Hey, if they are indeed the endgame, the director would be cruel if all we get in the way of skinship was the non-kiss of episode 3.  Even Yura got her hug when she asked Ki Hoon for it, awkward though it may be.  So may the ending happen close to the way you dreamed it. :-)

There have been a couple of actresses who for years many have considered a hopeless case until they got paired with LSK, and then magic!  The one that stood out the most was Lee Yeon Hee, whose casting in Miss Korea opposite LSK received groans from left and right.  But she proved everyone wrong with that one project and people finally believed she could act.  Unfortunately I think after that one drama she went back to what many considered lackluster form again.  It could be that she found just THE right character in Miss Korea, or acting opposite a veteran who made her comfortable was really key.  Who knows?  Maybe this is telling:

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2014/01/tv-lee-sun-gyun-top-actress-creator.html

I said this before, after an epic project like this, working with one of the top directors and script writers in Korea, how do actors move on?  Everything else will feel like a step back.  How can IU find another character as awesome as this?  Same with LSK.  It might be a looong time before he sets foot in dramaland again.  He's said in 2012 that doing multiple films and drama in the same year almost killed him.

LSG always brings out the best in his partners. I think he is a generous leading man on screen. He does not attempt to overpower the presence of his leading ladies. I noticed that in numerous occasions he purposefully paced himself to match LJE's breathing. It takes another level of confidence and security as an actor to let your partner shine on screen. LSG is one of those rare actors that can sense whether he should take over or hold back in a particular scene. Their argument in episode 10 is a classic example of that where LJE completely took over with confidence in the last 2 minutes of the scene and LSG holding back and just completely trusting her with the direction of Kim Won Suk. As an IU fan, I was completely stunned by this transformation. This level of intensity in her acting range is definitely something new she delivered after watching all her dramas since Dream High. I already know she has a potential as an actor because I also loved her as Cindy in the Producers but LJE was red carded by numerous k-drama communities from her acting performance in Moon Lovers. I assumed it really affected her because she took a while to decide on another drama project after 2016. I also noticed that she seems a lot more happier in MA and keeps on giggling every chance she gets behind the scenes. I guess all the positive comments and  getting huge accolades from everyone that doubted her abilities even gave her more determination  to do her best. 

I will be really curious after the finale interviews of how LSG and LJE think of each other and their palpable chemistry.. Usually actors will have interviews when the show ends. This is one drama where a director's cut and behind the scenes I will not mind watching. I am curious how LSG and LJE work and read their lines together. 

Moreover, IU (Lee Jieun) is a trendsetter everywhere she goes.. I wouldn't be surprised that after her successful stint in MA that it will further solidify LSG's reputation as a top actress creator. So I think I will see casting news or offers on LSG with other younger actresses like Yoona or Suzy. 

2 hours ago, nearsea said:

Please don't take this in a wrong way, but I feel uncomfortable whenever this show is compared to misaeng. Not talking about your post, but on dramabeans there were certain comments like jang gu rae also brought a slipper for the manager. So ji an - dong hoon also have the  same sunbae-hoobae  relationship like jang gu rae and the manager.

And also there was this presumption that since this drama is also directed by the same PD so the ending would be on the same line. But,  honestly I feel even if it's the same director, the writer is different here. So the conclusion can only be based on how the writer wanted to end this story, not because it comes from the same director unless the PD goes nuts and give his own touch to the ending [like black's PD did  :S]. Hope that doesn't happen. 

Yes, a lot of people are forgetting that Park Hae Young is a 100% romance writer. It has been a while since Kim Won Suk worked with a romance writer - Kim Eun Hee (Signal writer) is a pure mystery thriller writer and Yoon Tae Ho (Misaeng) more a slice of life writer. Being a fangirl of KWS, he has a good reputation within the screenwriter communities so it will be unlikely the man will go rogue like that Black director. 

• Like 15

34 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

LSG always brings out the best in his partners. I think he is a generous leading man on screen. He does not attempt to overpower the presence of his leading ladies. I noticed that in numerous occasions he purposefully paced himself to match LJE's breathing. It takes another level of confidence and security as an actor to let your partner shine on screen. LSG is one of those rare actors that can sense whether he should take over or hold back in a particular scene. Their argument in episode 10 is a classic example of that where LJE completely took over with confidence in the last 2 minutes of the scene and LSG just completely trusting her with the direction of Kim Won Suk. As an IU fan, I was completely stunned by this transformation. This level of intensity in her acting range is definitely something new she delivered after watching all her dramas since Dream High. I already know she has a potential as an actor because I also loved her as Cindy in the Producers but LJE was red carded by numerous k-drama communities from her acting performance in Moon Lovers. I assumed it really affected her because she took a while to decide on another drama project after 2016. I also noticed that she seems a lot more happier in MA and keeps on giggling every chance she gets behind the scenes. I guess all the positive comments and  getting huge accolades from everyone that doubted her abilities even gave her more determination  to do her best. 

I will be really curious after the finale interviews of how LSG and LJE think of each other and their palpable chemistry.. Usually actors will have interviews when the show ends. This is one drama where a director's cut and behind the scenes I will not mind watching. I am curious how LSG and LJE work and read their lines together. 

Moreover, IU (Lee Jieun) is a trendsetter everywhere she goes.. I wouldn't be surprised that after her successful stint in MA that it will further solidify LSG's reputation as a top actress creator. So I think I will see casting news or offers on LSG with other younger actresses like Yoona or Suzy. 

I completely agree with everything you stated here. I'm an IU fan as well, and I'm also glad that she was able to overcome the slump after Moon Lovers. I'm certain she learned a great deal from working with Lee Sun Kyun (I have endless compliments for him as an actor and a person) and I hope that he continues to mentor her/advise her with her acting career after all this over. As for her being more comfortable behind-the-scenes, to be honest, I think she just really enjoys working with veterans. Contrary to her youthful appearance, she's quite the old soul. In Kim Soo Hyun's words, "It's like there's an ahjumma living inside of her." :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 11

38 minutes ago, KevinD said:

I completely agree with everything you stated here. I'm an IU fan as well, and I'm also glad that she was able to overcome the slump after Moon Lovers. I'm certain she learned a great deal from working with Lee Sun Kyun (I have endless compliments for him as an actor and a person) and I hope that he continues to mentor her/advise her with her acting career after all this over. As for her being more comfortable behind-the-scenes, to be honest, I think she just really enjoys working with veterans. Contrary to her youthful appearance, she's quite the old soul. In Kim Soo Hyun's words, "It's like there's an ahjumma living inside of her." :D

@KevinD ah. That probably explains why she’s got amazing chemistry with LSK. She’s his contemporary in soul and spirit. Lee Ji Eun is a 40-year-old woman in a 21-year-old body. :)

• Like 8
  • LOL 9

On 4/29/2018 at 5:20 AM, berny said:

This "connection" that is so intense but seems so hard to explain... well hahha i have consulted a friend who's very much into Kdrama and OTP analysis, i cannot not ask her opinion on this one...

Hide contents

Disclaimer first hahha : okey this is NOT to ship LSK & IU in real life, because that is just IMPOSSIBLE!!! Hahha.

They just give me this Gregory Peck- Audrey Hepburn feels (who have became best friends for life after doing the movie Roman Holiday). 

Anyway as they say for an onscreen couple to click they shoud have a certain connection behind the camera.  There are some who have this such simmering, fiery chemistry compared to others and we wonder why? 

And this friend of mine who loves to analyze this between OTPs has literally an out of this world analysis... it is in the heavens she says hahha... She has been studying birthcharts (the sun, moon, planets placements in astrology) for years.  And according to her the synastry of LSK & IU birthchart strongly (ultimate being the high scores) indicates "soulmates".  And most pairing she says gets high score on either being soulmates or high score on "strong physical attraction"   guess what hahha, LSK-IU gets high scores on both, wow! And this is what got me, she says "those who will witness such unions will be drawn in as well like an addiction"... 

Hahha , well not many might believe such things about astrology,  but if there's any truth to that it might then be that once, in  another lifetime LSK & IU were soulmates indeed.

20 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

@KevinD ah. That probably explains why she’s got amazing chemistry with LSK. She’s his contemporary in soul and spirit. Lee Ji Eun is a 40-year-old woman in a 21-year-old body. :)

@akhenaten, please don't take this seriously, but your post reminded me of what @berny posted 70 pages back about LSK-IU real life soulmate-y connection.  Don't come back at me with how I should not believe in astrology.  Hahaha...  I do not, this is just for fun.  :lol:

• LOL 9

6 hours ago, anipanch said:

Oh, and I will never get tired of praising LSK's acting skills! He amazes me beyond words. After watching few of his interviews, I fail to actually comprehend how he manages to portray a man like DH. They are total opposites! LSK seems such a carefree persona, he literally cracks jokes at any given chance.  My respect and love, he is indeed one of the best actors I've ever seen not only in kdramas but generally. I hope to see him in a hit movie (alongside IU ofc haha if only that was a possibility). His previous works didn't seem so attractive to me, he seems to be enjoying choosing weird storylines and characters. Any suggestions as to which movie is worthy of watching?

Yes, the character and actor seem to be complete opposites.  In the VLIVE chat they said LSK is really more like the youngest brother Ki Hoon in real life.  And I love the BTS of the scene with grandma, the one where she kissed his hand for a long time.  The director made fun of him because he was mighty uncomfortable in that act.  Hahaha....  He did go on record to say that because the character was so different from his own, he got really flustered portraying Park Dong Hoon. 

• Like 9

If only LSK not married sigh... Hahaha I'm crazy right lol! I'm always amazed that IU really has an amazing chemistry with older guys, she always get paired with older than her, from WY, JJS, JGS then LJG & KHN then now LSK. I guess it's because IU is mature and deep person and also maybe because of her experiences when she was younger, she had a hard life that molds her and become successful today, and this helps her to portray Lee Ji An,  she is hardworking and down to earth person.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I am sure Kim Young Min and Jang Ki Young did not get hurt at all.  It was all so obviously fake in the BTS.  Never  sure how seriously I need to take your comments.

And if anyone needed to take a real hit, I sure hope everything was done with careful coaching and direction from experts in the field.

If I am talking about real people (the actors), acting, the craft, emotional health, physical safety, I'm usually serious.

If I'm talking about the story, the obsession with the story, the fandom, people insisting that a story they are watching end the way they want it to or there will be consequences, I might be serious or I might have my tongue firmly in my cheek. 

the statement about concerns about the other actors safety was serious. I've enjoyed the fight scenes. They have been beautifully shot and I assumed well choreographed.  

However  hearing an veteran actor talked about voluntarily being brutalized and being hurt for a movie, it make me wonder about the safety for actors  who works with him on set.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hushhh said:

If I am talking about real people (the actors), acting, the craft, emotional health, physical safety, I'm usually serious.

If I'm talking about the story, the obsession with the story, the fandom, people insisting that a story they are writing end the way they want it to or there will be consequences, I might be serious or I might have my tongue firmly in my cheek. 

the statement about concerns about the other actors safety was serious. I've enjoyed the fight scenes. They have been beautifully shot and I assumed well choreographed.  

However  hearing an veteran actor talked about voluntarily being brutalized and being hurt for a movie, it make me wonder about the safety for actors  who works with him on set.

I appreciate your clarification.  About the set on A Hard Day, they employed a well-known martial art expert to choreograph and possibly monitor the fight scenes to ensure the safety of all the actors involved.  No one got injured aside from the normal ache I imagine action actors typically endure.  But you're right, it won't be wise to be brutalized for real, and I don't think he was.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, KevinD said:

Love how person describe Jieun

There're many her old video i show she really enjoy work with veteran, don't get wrong okey, recently i watching IU and KCW , whom writing the mean of you, 

There is in her eyes reflexted, honestly,appreciation, admiration for this ahjussi, that's emotion just so raw and made you felt "something special between them" slight idea appear in my head(sorry when i get wrong) waaw, this eyes expression could make missunderstanding, she get crush with him.lol

But Jieun is always Show how mature and intelegent she is when in the last shoot she prolog their conection as "i'm your youth" amazing genius summarize.sensible sensses of humour.

I think i become her diedhard fans of Lee JIEUN NOW.nice to found you jieunshii

Spoiler

• Like 8

4 hours ago, akhenaten said:

She is a 500 year old mountain god!

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

hi everyone I have to catch up episode 13-14 and catch everyone posts since I was away for week 

but I saw some video and I think I just don't know what going to happen next is this two episodes give hope for ji and dh together or it close  any hope left, I guess I need to watch the two episodes with sub to get idea but it the last week and the spoiler picture give so many possible ending so I don't know for now 

I like at least how dh  react  to ji spying on him at least he didn't  see it like nothing and nor make a big drama from it, it was perfect for Dhabi character to take it slowly and trying to get the find the big picture 

and the writer made him find in the way step by step how this little, poor and pitiful girl was helping and protecting him all the time 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@justamom  you said....loved your honest analysis. every word. I'm the opposite from you--I think emotionally and tend to regret later. But I don't think it's just engineers that are cautious in love, most of us are...or rather, I became cautious after being burnt in the past, and that's how people decide to get married :rolleyes:

This reader says congratulation...  you are T3 (the third tortoise I did not mention...the one that stick her neck out not quite all the way as T1 nor only the nose out as T2)!   We all have battle scars, but its good to keep on fighting our every day life battle!  hahaha

As you notice, the more battle scars we have, the more poetic we become!!!!

• Like 5
  • LOL 3