[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

@popai5  you said:  I feel like JA's grandma looking out the window in ep 14. Didn't it seem as if she were waiting for JA to come and visit? JA has been so busy trying to protect DH that she hasn't had time to visit grandma it seems. I hope JA gets to visit her soon

Ji-an wants to visit grandma, but she is on the run, hiding in some out of the way room in the vast Seoul Metropolitan area.   She knows that she cannot visit grandma...at this time!

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

I need a long break more like a hiatus after the finale of this drama. It was such a bad idea watching Mother entirely  then going straight to My Ajusshi. Too much heart break and tears at the beginning of the year. I feel like my heart is about to explode:lol: 

I was watching Mother but it got too heavy so I switched over to Misty...which wasn't light either and caused me great pain at the end! (Even though it was a great show, one of the best). So like @Kimchi Sweet Potato I need some healing!!!

The song I have on repeat is Ordinary Day. It reminds me of the movie title One Fine Day. Super melancholic but beautiful.

2 hours ago, akhenaten said:

When i need a mini-break,

Mini-break. Yes. Oh yes. :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Watching Pasta right now its weird seeing play a completely different character lol

Still manly though :wink: 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'll top yours with this, a perfect song for our Ajusshi:

Hey Jude

Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better

Hey Jude, don't be afraid
You were made to go out and get her
The minute you let her under your skin
Then you begin to make it better

And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders
For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder
Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah

Hey Jude, don't let me down
You have found her, now go and get her
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better

So let it out and let it in, hey Jude, begin
You're waiting for someone to perform with
And don't you know that it's just you, hey Jude, you'll do
The movement you need is on your shoulder
Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah yeah

Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her under your skin
Then you'll begin to make it
Better better better better better better, oh

@sadiesmith   touché....  very appropriate.  This reader never listen to beatle music so did not pay attention to what the song said!   This is right on to the Ts.

• Like 3

It is #HappyIUDay!

I hope everyone can spare some time to drop some kind words on IU's SNS and let her know how much you love JA.

IU's YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/dlwlrma
IU's Twitter: @lily199iu
IU's fancafe: http://cafe.daum.net/IU
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Watching Pasta right now its weird seeing play a completely different character lol

If you haven't, you might also watch My Wife is Having an Affair This Week (Listen to Love).  His reaction to the news of the affair is completely different there.  And unlike DH who could come across ambiguous sometime, you get behind this character's eyes and see everything from his perspective.  LSK narrates everything from inside his head.  It's another well produced show.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

@timidjock0819  You talk about songs... which do you think is the best in My Ajusshi?

This reader has 2 co-favorites.

On my playlist right now: There is a Rainbow (my #1), Ordinary Day, and Adult. Also, With or Without You by U2 - I will reserve this song on standby :lol: hopefully the Ajusshi will go Darcynian and fight for Jian (yes I know I'm delulu:crazy:). @MsMinnieFran once said, I am expecting to be taken out for a fancy dinner so I better not end up eating take out or worst line up in a buffet after episode 15. 

7 minutes ago, justamom said:

I was watching Mother but it got too heavy so I switched over to Misty...which wasn't light either and caused me great pain at the end! (Even though it was a great show, one of the best). So like @Kimchi Sweet Potato I need some healing!!!

The song I have on repeat is Ordinary Day. It reminds me of the movie title One Fine Day. Super melancholic but beautiful.

Mini-break. Yes. Oh yes. :rolleyes:

Talking about heartbreak with Misty. Yikes I am glad you survived that last 30 min. Mother at least had a rightful nice ending.  I hope this show doesn't become Misty My Mister as what the other poster suggested.. because I'll be damned:angry:

1 hour ago, akhenaten said:

I hope they release the subbed BTS.  The one I’d love to see is the BTS of that scene when LSK as Park Dong Hoon confronted Lee Ji Ah’s Yoon Hee and he broke down and cried. Until now, my heart aches for Dong Hoon when I re-watch those scenes.

I can’t imagine how LSK felt in that moment.  I think his real self disappeared and he was fully Dong Hoon.  His acting was so raw and so real.  I think to a great extent, Lee Ji Ah was also influenced by his acting in that scene so her reaction was also genuine.  

It must have been difficult to shoot that whole sequence in parts and then the director shouts cut and LSK and LJA are still immersed in the scene.  No wonder they were so exhausted.

But then again, bravo, LSK! Please win an award.  Then again, sweep all the awards for Best Actor in a Drama this year.  This is acting at the highest level.

And I also commend Lee Ji Ah for her acting here.  Yoon Hee could have easily become a one-dimensional character but she played her in such a way that made her both flawed and sympathetic. At least to me. :)

I agree. LJA is so good in MA. I actually feel her pain and loneliness most women her age can relate to.. She made YH feel human despite the mistakes of an affair.  She even have a great chemistry with LJE too.  I am glad she is back in kdramaland. I read she is already getting casting calls for another drama at KBS2 this summer. 

• Like 14

8 hours ago, justamom said:

I was so moved by @chickfactor's characterisation post that I decided to translate Ji An's description

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mymister/8/Contents/Html?h_seq=2

"Would anyone want to get close to me, knowing what kind of child I was?"

A rough woman whose body has battled cold reality.

Left alone with her ill grandmother when she was six. Words like dreams, hope and plans long thrown away in the trash. Paying off accumulated debts over and over again. She works where she can, eats when she can, and lives where she can.

It's not that no one has helped Ji An before. After the fourth time, they always run away. "People who make use of my unfortunate circumstances so they can feel benevolent". She is a cold child who has come to view other people with distrust and a cold laugh. 

But a great opportunity comes for her to escape her circumstances. She feels no guilt. But the closer she gets to Park Dong Hoon...the more deeply she gets to know him, the more he draws her interest.

"Don't you dare touch Park Dong Hoon! I will kill anyone who tries. If you want to take him down, take me on first." As she starts to live this way, she finds herself reborn.

Wonderful! I love it. :heart: You're amazing!

‘아무도 박동훈 건들지마! 다 죽여버리기 전에! 망가뜨려도 내가 망가뜨리고, 살려도 내가 살릴거야.’

Actually, the last part is: "Don't you dare touch Park Dong Hoon! I will kill anyone who tries. If someone destroys him, it will be me, if someone saves him, it will be me."

(Hurray Lee Ji-An!)

--

Well, here are a couple more:

ëì¤ì (42ì¸. ëíì´ì¬) / ê¹ì민

도준영 (42세, 대표이사) / 김영민

재신임을 앞둔 삼안E&C 대표이사.
동훈의 대학 후배이자 윤희의 대학동기.

잘 생겼고, 학벌 좋았고, 매너 좋았고, 딱 거기까지. 나머지는 가진 척 연기했다. 그랬더니 소문이 부풀어 준영은 로얄 패밀리의 아들이 되었고, 덕분에 첫 직장에서 대표이사까지 올랐다. 일가친척 없는 회장이 지분만 넘겨주면 회사의 주인이 될 수도 있는 상황. 재신임을 위해서는 자기 사람을 늘려야 한다.

그런데 회장 노인네가 박동훈을 눈여겨본다. 하기야 대학 때부터 그랬다. 아무리 봐도 박동훈 보다 자신이 나은데, 사람들은 자신보다 박동훈을 더 좋아했다. 윤희도 결국 박동훈과 결혼했으니까. 박동훈 이 재수 없는 인간, 언제나 자신의 민낯을 까발리는 것 같은 무심한 눈길.

그래서 준영은 동훈을 잘라내기로 하는데...

Do Joon-Young (Age 42, CEO) / Kim Young-Min

A CEO at SamAn E&C, up for re-election.

Dong-Hoon's college junior and Yoon-Hee's college mate.

Handsome, went to good schools, has good manners, and that is it. He acted as if he had the other things. So rumors about him grew and he became the son of a "royal family," and thanks to that, he even became the CEO of the company that gave him his first job. If the chairman without a family just passed his shares to him, he would be the owner of the company. In order to be reelected, he would need to increase the people on his side.

But the chairman is looking at Park Dong-Hoon with interest. But it was always like that, since college. No matter how you look at it, he is so much better than Park Dong-Hoon, but people always liked Park Dong-Hoon better. Even Yoon-Hee married Park Dong-Hoon. Park Dong-Hoon, this damned bastard, always looking at him with an indifferent gaze, as if he can see through him.

So Joon-Young decides to fire Park Dong-Hoon...

ì¤ì무 (51ì¸) / ì ì¬ì±

윤상무 (51세) / 정재성

도준영의 오른팔.
줄을 기가 막히게 잘 서는 기회주의자. 

자기보다 나이가 어리든 말든, 윗사람이라면 찰싹 엎드려 바싹 붙는다. 준영 라인에 선 것도 그 때문. 준영의 대표이사 재신임을 위한 공작을 담당하지만, 영민하지 못해 일이 꼬인다.

Director Yoon (Age 51) / Jung Jae-Sung

Do Joon-Young's right hand.

An opportunist who is great at taking sides.

It doesn't matter if someone is older or younger than him, if someone is above him, he bows down low and sticks to him. That is why he chose to "stand in Joon-Young's line." He takes the lead in the maneuvers to get Joon-Young reelected, but he is not intelligent, so things get twisted.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

On 5/14/2018 at 5:07 AM, africandramalover said:

1. I always ask myself..... How do the screenwriters feel.... when they see their screenplays on TV?

How does this particular writer feel, seeing her brilliance on TV and probably reading comments from everywhere about how amazing the show is?  I'm sure her fellow writers are blowing up her phone with calls and chatting sessions.

Does she shake with giddiness till she can't sleep? Does she pat herself on the back like, "You're the BOSS!" How does it feel to create something brilliant? Does she drink an extra shot of soju as self congratulation? Does she treat herself to a holiday just so that she can sit and hug herself and process her thoughts? 

I wish there was greater focus on the screenwriters. After all, they are the reason actors shine. One person's idea generates employment for a whole production team, creates stardom for the actors and makes a dent in the economy (DOTS). And most importantly, drives we viewers so crazy we wait for subtitles at 1 am EAT.

I would love to know how she is feeling. Perhaps more than I would the actors.

I would probably go into the shower, let the water flow on full blast and cry into the spray from the shower head, or go up one of the mountains around here and scream my head off.

Also, does someone have a picture of the screen writer? I need a visual of this Madame Genius!!

@africandramalover I have been giving more thoughts to screenwriters because of you.  I also wonder how she was able to create this world populated by characters that really feel like they are the "stars of their own shows."  This drama really "reads" like a novel.

I was trying to find a video of their script reading session, but unfortunately, due to having to replace Oh Dal Su, all clips have been removed completely.  Writer Park Hae Young was in the reading meeting and even said a few words.  She actually looked younger in person than she is in this picture:

Image result for park hae young

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, justamom said:

That is not Ji An. Where is woori Ji An?? <_<

:lol: so anyone have idea/screencap when is Jian Birthday, sure the year is 1998..sorry Jianii i overlook your resume

@justamom, lol appearantly jian busy preparing Jieun brithday gift, i saw

her make several phone call..

IMG_20180515_125157.jpg

Figure out what present would be good for Jieun

Yupp she start to...Staring in blank.mode

IMG_20180430_214306.jpg

And found idea this Man is be good gift from God.on her birthday:lol:

Spoiler

This drama made me overboard with shipping thing, i hope after drama end someone straighten me out.lol, the diferently Jieun-Jian,DH-LSG, i get blurred chimestry withdrawal i guees-_-

IMG_20180430_214510.jpg

#happyJieunday

#mymister#myahjussi

Faighting.

• Like 7
  • LOL 13

Quick questions! Have JA and DH ever touched each other except for that forced kiss and head hit? Is it possible that they never even touched?

Also did JA told DH about the court’s verdict offscreen? Or how did he know so many details about her case?

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, aisling said:

Quick questions! Have JA and DH ever touched each other except for that forced kiss and head hit? Is it possible that they never even touched?

Also did JA told DH about the court’s verdict offscreen? Or how did he know so many details about her case?

He touched her arm/sleeve in episode 1 or 2 when he tried to get her to look at him.  So much chemistry even in that picture alone.  You guys should read the comments on the Youtube clip of the theater scene in episode 14.  So many said it's the most romantic scene ever, and the two are not even in the same space.

DZNyC07VAAIxXrb.jpg

I think DH got information about the court case from the guardian?  

• Like 14

Okay, this one was a real treat for me.

It's like a "mission statement" for the show.

I cannot believe how bombastic it is.  :D

--

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mymister/7/Contents/Html

드라마 속 주인공 남자들은 전부 능력자다.

의사 변호사 사업가와 같은
선망의 직업을 갖고 있던가,
기억력 추리력 같은
탁월한 지적 능력을 갖고 있던가,
아예 현실세계의 어떤 구애도 받지 않는
외계에서 온 사람이던가,
어떤 식으로든 능력자다.

그런데!
우리 주변에 실제 그런 능력자들이 있었던가.
있었다고 한들,
그런 능력자들 덕분에
감동했던 적이 있었던가.

사람에게 감동하고 싶다.
요란하지는 않지만,
인간의 근원에 깊게 뿌리 닿아 있는 사람들.

여기 아저씨가 있다.
우러러 볼만한 경력도, 부러워할 만한 능력도 없다.
그저 순리대로 살아갈 뿐이다.

그러나 그속엔 아홉살 소년의 순수성이 있고,
타성에 물들지 않은 날카로움도 있다.
인간에 대한 본능적인 따뜻함과 우직함도 있다.
우리가 잊고 있었던 ‘인간의 매력’을 보여주는 아저씨.
그를 보면, 맑은 물에 눈과 귀를 씻은 느낌이 든다.

길거리에 넘쳐나는 흔하디흔한 아저씨들.
허릅하고 한심하게 보이던 그들이,
사랑스러워 죽을 것이다.
눈물 나게 낄낄대며 보다가, 끝내 펑펑 울 것이다.

--

The main male characters of dramas are all "capable people."

Doctors or lawyers, or business men

They have enviable jobs

Or they have super memory or reasoning abilities

They have some extraordinary ability

Or they are someone who does not exist in reality

Like someone from outer space

In any case, they are "capable people" in some way

But!

Do such people really exist among us?

Even if they did

Have we ever been (emotionally) moved because of such people?

We want to be (emotionally) moved by people.

They may not be ostentatious

But they are people who are deeply in touch with humanity

There is an ahjussi

His experience is not admirable, and his abilities are not enviable

He just lives by "going with the flow"

But inside him, there is the innocence of a nine-year-old boy

And a sharpness that has not been dulled by habit

And an instinctual warmth and simple honesty towards humanity

An ahjussi who will show us the "charm of humanity" that we have forgotten

Seeing him will feel as if you have washed your eyes and ears with clear water

The ahjussis who are so common, they overflow our streets

They seemed so shabby and pathetic before,

You will find them so lovable that you will die

You will laugh until tears come to your eyes, and in the end, you will weep

--

OMG, hahaha.

I am dying, and I am laughing until I cry, and I also weep.

You have fulfilled your mission, show.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Okay, this one was a real treat for me.

It's like a "mission statement" for the show.

I cannot believe how bombastic it is.  :D

--

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mymister/7/Contents/Html

드라마 속 주인공 남자들은 전부 능력자다.

의사 변호사 사업가와 같은
선망의 직업을 갖고 있던가,
기억력 추리력 같은
탁월한 지적 능력을 갖고 있던가,
아예 현실세계의 어떤 구애도 받지 않는
외계에서 온 사람이던가,
어떤 식으로든 능력자다.

그런데!
우리 주변에 실제 그런 능력자들이 있었던가.
있었다고 한들,
그런 능력자들 덕분에
감동했던 적이 있었던가.

사람에게 감동하고 싶다.
요란하지는 않지만,
인간의 근원에 깊게 뿌리 닿아 있는 사람들.

여기 아저씨가 있다.
우러러 볼만한 경력도, 부러워할 만한 능력도 없다.
그저 순리대로 살아갈 뿐이다.

그러나 그속엔 아홉살 소년의 순수성이 있고,
타성에 물들지 않은 날카로움도 있다.
인간에 대한 본능적인 따뜻함과 우직함도 있다.
우리가 잊고 있었던 ‘인간의 매력’을 보여주는 아저씨.
그를 보면, 맑은 물에 눈과 귀를 씻은 느낌이 든다.

길거리에 넘쳐나는 흔하디흔한 아저씨들.
허릅하고 한심하게 보이던 그들이,
사랑스러워 죽을 것이다.
눈물 나게 낄낄대며 보다가, 끝내 펑펑 울 것이다.

--

The main male characters of dramas are all "capable people."

Doctors or lawyers, or business men

They have enviable jobs

Or they have super memory or reasoning abilities

They have some extraordinary ability

Or they are someone who does not exist in reality

Like someone from outer space

In any case, they are "capable people" in some way

But!

Do such people really exist among us?

Even if they did

Have we ever been (emotionally) moved because of such people?

We want to be (emotionally) moved by people.

They may not be ostentatious

But they are people who are deeply in touch with humanity

There is an ahjussi

His experience is not admirable, and his abilities are not enviable

He just lives by "going with the flow"

But inside him, there is the innocence of a nine-year-old boy

And a sharpness that has not been dulled by habit

And an instinctual warmth and simple honesty towards humanity

An ahjussi who will show us the "charm of humanity" that we have forgotten

Seeing him will feel as if you have washed your eyes and ears with clear water

The ahjussis who are so common, they overflow our streets

They seemed so shabby and pathetic before,

You will find them so lovable that you will die

You will laugh until tears come to your eyes, and in the end, you will weep

--

OMG, hahaha.

I am dying, and I am laughing until I cry, and I also weep.

You have fulfilled your mission, show.

Wow, those words really do describe Dong Hoon.  Even more amazing is how wildly the show has achieved what they predicted they would.  What DH has is >>>>>>> any super power ability.  I bow down to the writer and director for great their vision.  And yes, I too have laughed and cried and everything in between.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

There is also that time she kicked him on the train.

Every touch drives us nuts. :tongue:

Sorry, I am trying to not post so many times, but this post had me LOL'ing soooo hard.  Hahahahaha..... How deprived are we that even a kick to the foot counts as touching?  hahaha...  What has this show turned us into?  

• Like 1
  • LOL 14