[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

46 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

@chickfactor Hogye-dong is one of three townships named hogye-dong 1, 2, 3  in the City of Anyang, Gyeonggi Province,  a satellite City of Seoul,  approximately 21km south of Seoul... It is connected by seoul subway line 1, and 4.  It is line 4 which is used by Ajusshi and Ji-an to travel to and from work.   the township does exist.

That is 계동

In the show, it's 계동

Not the same place. :)

• Like 6

Is anyone else getting withdrawal symptoms after watching this ? I can’t get myself to watch any other Kdrama for now since I can’t let this go yet !!! The long gazes, the slow build up of their relantioship was so beautiful that any drama I watch after this will start feeling cheesy. 

Guess it is going to take long time for me to get over my ajhussi. I have already watched it twice and still seem to be stuck with it. The title soundtrack is on repeat on my playlist. 

• Like 11

10 hours ago, nhara said:

After My Ahjussi there is nothing that I like, but even though it will be difficult to find something so good. Could someone recommend something interesting to me?

21 minutes ago, t123han said:

Is anyone else getting withdrawal symptoms after watching this ? I can’t get myself to watch any other Kdrama for now since I can’t let this go yet !!! The long gazes, the slow build up of their relantioship was so beautiful that any drama I watch after this will start feeling cheesy. 

Guess it is going to take long time for me to get over my ajhussi. I have already watched it twice and still seem to be stuck with it. The title soundtrack is on repeat on my playlist. 

I think it's safe to say those of us who are still hanging around here are experiencing some kind of withdrawal symptoms.  :D

To @nhara and @t123han and others who are looking for a new show to watch, may I make a drama recommendation that is a little bit unusual?  If you don't want cheesy story with the usual tropes, give Miss Korea a chance.  It is set in 1997, the year South Korea went through the IMF crisis.  It's a story of a bunch of underdogs trying to survive and a woman who is helping them.  It's a mature drama, and not cheesy in the least.  Moreover, because of its unique setting, there is this certain nostalgia about it.  The vibe is a little dark, but ultimately hopeful.  Don't expect the perfection that is My Ajusshi though, because that is just setting yourself up for disappointment.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

I think it's safe to say those of us who are still hanging around here are experiencing some kind of withdrawal symptoms.  :D

To @nhara and @t123han and others who are looking for a new show to watch, may I make a drama recommendation that is a little bit unusual?  If you don't want cheesy story with the usual tropes, give Miss Korea a chance.  It is set in 1997, the year South Korea went through the IMF crisis.  It's a story of a bunch of underdogs trying to survive and a woman who is helping them.  It's a mature drama, and not cheesy in the least.  Moreover, because of its unique setting, there is this certain nostalgia about it.  The vibe is a little dark, but ultimately hopeful.  Don't expect the perfection that is My Ajusshi though, because that is just setting yourself up for disappointment.  

Miss Korea is one of the best out there. Character development was awesome. Can't believe it took me 5 years to discover this drama.Yeah, still can't compare to My Ahjussi. But still one of my fave dramas. LSK is so charming here. 

I just finished watching Live. It was a great drama. Loved all the characters but I still can't move on from My Ahjussi. I love this drama so much. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, t123han said:

Is anyone else getting withdrawal symptoms after watching this

Uh I think that’s all 20+ of us still hanging out here and complaining about the lack of good dramas/reading/writing fanfic/listening to the OST on repeat/writing crazy lyrics/watching the same scene for the 100th time to point out things like traffic signals

etcetera

etcetera

thanks for reassuring me I’m not the only cray crazy :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

3 hours ago, chickfactor said:

That is 계동

In the show, it's 계동

Not the same place. :)

Yup it’s fictitious. So is Bukchon station which doesn’t exist. But I assume it’s somewhere near there, in the older part of the city

apparently Seoul residents get upset if you use their neighbourhoods name and it’s not 100% positive. They’re very worried about the effect on their property prices. 

@chickfactor any idea where they shot the Hugye scenes?

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

@nhara - I am like you and most everyone here...finding difficulty in moving on.  My Ahjussi is such a hard act to follow! The bar is set so high! Everything else pales in comparison.  But there are other worthy dramas out there, as I’m sure you know. You just have to fight your tendency to compare it with others, though, for a period of time - the “getting over” period.  And who knows how long that will be?

In the meanwhile, would you consider an “other Asian” drama?  I stray from Korean dramas when I get tired of the predictability, unbelievability, over-the-topness, and/or extreme behavior (like mothers hating on their adult child’s dating or marriage choices) that often play a big part in some of them.  Anyway, I would recommend “My Dear Boy,” a Taiwanese drama that tells the story of younger man and older woman (10 year difference) who fall in love but find opposition (surprise, surprise). It’s light with its serious moments. I enjoyed the acting and how they tackled the subject.

Speaking of age difference in a love story, I seem to be drawn to them...lately, anyhow.  I admit that was part of the draw for me about My Ahjussi. After watching the first episode, I knew it wasn’t going to be your typical age difference love story.  Why, I wasn’t even for sure it was going to be a love story even though it was touted as such. However, I knew it was a keeper. It was so obvious because it just radiated excellence.  

Anyway, when it comes to the age difference thing in a love story, I hardly bat an eye.  The reason for that is my parents were 18 years apart. They married when he was 36 and she was 18, so he was twice her age.  They were deeply in love, but as you would guess, they ran into difficulties because of the age disparity, and my dad was accused of “robbing the cradle.”  Thank goodness both families were okay with the marriage, and since those were the main ones that counted to my folks (besides each other), they took a “heck with the rest of them” attitude and lived their lives happily together, later adding six kids to the mix.

Now the age difference between Ji An and Dong Hoon is about 6 years greater than that of my parents, but it’s still not a big deal to me.  I was sad to hear about all the uproar regarding that age difference. And then, an apology by the drama people? Oh for crying out loud. I wish they could have just thought as my parents did...heck with them!  I know, easier said than done. As one or more of you have expressed, I do wonder if there were any changes made in final product, post uproar. Would we have gotten a kiss at the end? One where he is leaning in on her in contrast to her tippy-toeing up to him?  Like some of you, I really would like to see the script, especially if there was a before and after.

One more thing - I’ve said this before, but another reason I don’t think much on the age difference is because she’s had to grow up so fast because of her hard life, that it’s like she’s been an adult for a long while.  Sure, there are things that she didn’t know, like how her halmeoni could qualify for a permanent free stay at a care facility, and that’s understandable. As for him, on the other hand, seems like his stagnant life has kept him at the same stage - and age - for a while.  Which is why I think of them as equals and the perfect match.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, justamom said:

Yup it’s fictitious. So is Bukchon station which doesn’t exist. But I assume it’s somewhere near there, in the older part of the city

apparently Seoul residents get upset if you use their neighbourhoods name and it’s not 100%. They’re very worried about the effect on their property prices. 

@chickfactor any idea where they shot the Hugye scenes?

In My Mister, I noticed the station name signboard as Hugye but the subtitles use a different spelling. Anyway, did a search and found this video:

^also LSK in the above video!

About the impact of Lee Ji-an:

IU promotes Maxim simple latte coffee, SONY headphones and Mon Cher pies which all had PPL on My Mister.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, fauna said:

I’m sure he’ll do it if the role calls for it. In a recent movie, A Special Lady, he is a gangster/assassin obsessively in love with an older woman, and has meaningless sex with a younger woman.

Here’s a clip (warning - graphic language and sexual situations).

Yeah I'm glad tho XD LSK seems to prefer movies to dramas and Korean movies tend to be quite graphic both in violence and sex in contrast with dramas. So if he wants to lend main roles he can't say no, not that I'm complaining :tongue:

He was really hot in "A special Lady"

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks! :)
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

I like your reflections on the series. There are so many details, every time I see it I like it more and more. That's why I asked you to help me find something that I like in order to overcome the syndrome of abstinence that the end of this wonderful drama.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mylovelystar said:

In My Mister, I noticed the station name signboard as Hugye but the subtitles use a different spelling. Anyway, did a search and found this video:

Doesn't exist either. They must have printed the labels and stuck them over to recreate the station!

1 hour ago, anipanch said:

Yeah I'm glad tho XD LSK seems to prefer movies to dramas and Korean movies tend to be quite graphic both in violence and sex in contrast with dramas. So if he wants to lend main roles he can't say no, not that I'm complaining :tongue:

He was really hot in "A special Lady"

I couldn't watch that clip but I found another one....oh man that voice *I need a fan here*

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

Having tough time getting over LSK ajhussi, so I decided to watch his previous work .. I was already his fan after watching pasta . But after ajhussi, I think he is my fav actor now. 

Watched his movie the advocate .. he is charming and cunning in this one. 

• Like 3

Look at this!

n0116.gif

(x)

This show is everything.

1 hour ago, justamom said:

I couldn't watch that clip but I found another one....oh man that voice *I need a fan here*

LSK's character in A Special Lady was deranged but boy was he attractive. I need help!

Spoiler

tumblr_p97hedpQ2b1qcn1apo2_1280.png

tumblr_p97gai4JjB1qcn1apo5_1280.png

tumblr_p97fo6_HCp_G1qcn1apo2_1280.png

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, fauna said:

I’m sure he’ll do it if the role calls for it. In a recent movie, A Special Lady, he is a gangster/assassin obsessively in love with an older woman, and has meaningless sex with a younger woman.

Here’s a clip (warning - graphic language and sexual situations).

@fauna  The video isn't available in my country, it says.  :angry:

Anyhoo, from the looks of it, he's a very versatile actor and can actually disappear into his role.  I could see that in the MA BTS clips, like when they were shooting that scene at the end of Ep 7 when Dong Hoon and Ji An smiled for the first time.  LJE was actually getting drunk from all that beer and he was laughing and telling everyone it wasn't his fault she was drunk.  His overall expression and mien looked so light and different and totally worlds away from Park Dong Hoon.  Makes me want to either see him and LJE work together again in a film where his character is happier, like maybe a real rom-com but a well-written one or, judging by his forays into racier and grittier stuff like that clip you shared, into something serious and more straightforward about, uh, everything.  MA had to tippy-toe its way into a lot of controversial territory though that made it all the more compelling and interesting to watch.  Still, I would love to see both of them in a project where LJE is given the freedom to actually exercise her acting chops more.  So it can't be a TV drama.   I just wonder what would happen if she does something more mature eventually.  Some of her fans might burst a vein.  :D    

5 hours ago, justamom said:

Uh I think that’s all 20+ of us still hanging out here and complaining about the lack of good dramas/reading/writing fanfic/listening to the OST on repeat/writing crazy lyrics/watching the same scene for the 100th time to point out things like traffic signals

etcetera

etcetera

thanks for reassuring me I’m not the only cray crazy :ph34r:

@justamom  Withdrawal?  I'm still fully immersed in this one and I don't think I'll ever let go of it anytime soon.  MA to me is like my other favorite novels and films:  I never get over them.  They just become a part of who I am.  :)

But I'm also trying to watch other dramas, like I've started on Lawless Lawyer, coz I actually liked the actress Seo Ye-ji from Hwarang.  Not so much a Lee Joon Gi fan but he's okay.  I didn't complete Scarlet Heart Ryeo coz for whatever reason, I lost interest midway.  But I did watch the clip of the end when LJE was crying in modern times and looking at his portrait and she seemed to have the potential to get into a character quite deeply and being able to act out genuine emotions.  I guess she just really needed a good project with a brilliant director, an equally brilliant writer, and an onscreen partner that could bring out the depth of her acting. :) 

• Like 11

10 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Wow, y'all are amazing. It turns out Hoo-Gye-dong is a fictional place!

I would have never thought to look this up:

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2018/04/23/2018042301196.html

"One call, and 100 will come" - Najusshi's Warm Hoo-Gye-dong people

A warm and cheerful place that only exists in "My Ahjussi," the people of Hoo-Gye-dong gently moved the viewers. Never mind the whole neighborhood, people often don't know their next door neighbors these days. But sharing with your neighbors your unremarkable daily life and to cry and laugh with them, it is fragrant like perfume.

"My Ahjussi" which is the story of plain people who use all their strength to endure the world, and has elicited strong sympathy from viewers. In this show, there is a neighborhood that feels like it really exists somewhere in this world, and so you want to see it for real. It may be worn-out and humble but it is full of "sticky" affection, that is Hoo-Gye-dong.

It is where the three ahjussi brothers were born and raised, it is said to exist at the "mouth" of Seoul, and it is where 'ruined people' live. At some point, they were vice-chairman of a bank, chief of an auto research division, board member of a pharmaceutical company - they had times when they were very successful. But now, they are middle-aged, and they work supplying towels to a motel, import mudfish, or operate a cleaning business. In the evenings, they gather at "Jung-Hee's" and talk about trivial things and work out the difficulties of their days. Whenever they have time, they wear jackets that say "Hoo-Gye Soccer Club" and walk around as a team, earning the complaints of their wives. But they are somehow never hateful, and their "stickiness" makes you envious.

In Ep. 10, when Dong-Hoon was was beaten up Kwang-Il, seeing how enraged the Hoo-Gye-dong people became and ran in the middle of the night elicited joyful laughter. Whatever the reason was, based on a single fact that someone hit Dong-Hoon got everyone to shout, hopping mad, "Who did this? Just wait until we catch him." And when a police car with sirens approached, they said, "he can't go to the police station, this is an important time at his work," and they shielded him with their bodies. When Dong-Hoon made the excuse that someone bumped into him and cursed at him, so he fought with him, they didn't question him further, even though it didn't sound like him. Instead, they concentrated on how to make excuses for his mother and his wife. It may seem childish, but we felt the affection and loyalty.

Perhaps this is why. This is the day when Dong-Hoon told Ji-An, "If Kwang-Il gives you a hard time, then call me. There are many people who will come to help with just one call. Call at any time. 100 people would come." That their fathers were friends and all attended the same elementary school, and everyone knows each other - that is perhaps not the only reason. And it's not as if they can solve the problem like extremely capable people, or a hero. But Dong-Hoon, who grew up in this neighborhood since birth, knows that when he is having the most difficult time, knowing that someone who will get even angrier on his behalf, and curse someone out for him, and be on his side - he knows how comforting that is. And he felt that that was what Ji-An needed most.

This is a neighborhood in which warm people gather and endure the harsh world together. When they begin the day early in the morning, they shout "fighting" for you, and will drink with you until late, and share trivial talk with you. Yu-Ra, who feared failure realized here that failure is okay. It made you look forward to when Ji-An, a "rigid person" would one day come here to relax. This space that feels like a fantasy, it makes you want to live in this neighborhood.

I'm just reblogging this because I loved this piece so much. It's one of the reasons I love this show so much.

To me it was one of the fundamental problems in Dong Hoon and Yeon Hee's marriage.

She never felt one of Hugye, she wanted to leave the entire time they were married.

But Dong Hoon will never leave Hugye.

It feels almost like an imperial palace analogy. She felt she was trapped in the palace. But the king can never leave his palace. 

Either you marry into the neighbourhood, or you live there unhappily.

Which is why Yeon Hee finally left, and took flight.

• Like 10

[ok couldn't post the images directly. :S]

Speaking of this neighborhood, saw this on dcinside and this comparison is everything. 

y5gpFjL.png

"I hate this neighborhood.

I hate everybody around you '

LnIGLE4.png

"This town was so good"

"I want to be born in this neighborhood when I'm born again"

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kappy said:

@nhara - I am like you and most everyone here...finding difficulty in moving on.  My Ahjussi is such a hard act to follow! The bar is set so high! Everything else pales in comparison.  But there are other worthy dramas out there, as I’m sure you know. You just have to fight your tendency to compare it with others, though, for a period of time - the “getting over” period.  And who knows how long that will be?

In the meanwhile, would you consider an “other Asian” drama?  I stray from Korean dramas when I get tired of the predictability, unbelievability, over-the-topness, and/or extreme behavior (like mothers hating on their adult child’s dating or marriage choices) that often play a big part in some of them.  Anyway, I would recommend “My Dear Boy,” a Taiwanese drama that tells the story of younger man and older woman (10 year difference) who fall in love but find opposition (surprise, surprise). It’s light with its serious moments. I enjoyed the acting and how they tackled the subject.

Speaking of age difference in a love story, I seem to be drawn to them...lately, anyhow.  I admit that was part of the draw for me about My Ahjussi. After watching the first episode, I knew it wasn’t going to be your typical age difference love story.  Why, I wasn’t even for sure it was going to be a love story even though it was touted as such. However, I knew it was a keeper. It was so obvious because it just radiated excellence.  

Anyway, when it comes to the age difference thing in a love story, I hardly bat an eye.  The reason for that is my parents were 18 years apart. They married when he was 36 and she was 18, so he was twice her age.  They were deeply in love, but as you would guess, they ran into difficulties because of the age disparity, and my dad was accused of “robbing the cradle.”  Thank goodness both families were okay with the marriage, and since those were the main ones that counted to my folks (besides each other), they took a “heck with the rest of them” attitude and lived their lives happily together, later adding six kids to the mix.

Now the age difference between Ji An and Dong Hoon is about 6 years greater than that of my parents, but it’s still not a big deal to me.  I was sad to hear about all the uproar regarding that age difference. And then, an apology by the drama people? Oh for crying out loud. I wish they could have just thought as my parents did...heck with them!  I know, easier said than done. As one or more of you have expressed, I do wonder if there were any changes made in final product, post uproar. Would we have gotten a kiss at the end? One where he is leaning in on her in contrast to her tippy-toeing up to him?  Like some of you, I really would like to see the script, especially if there was a before and after.

One more thing - I’ve said this before, but another reason I don’t think much on the age difference is because she’s had to grow up so fast because of her hard life, that it’s like she’s been an adult for a long while.  Sure, there are things that she didn’t know, like how her halmeoni could qualify for a permanent free stay at a care facility, and that’s understandable. As for him, on the other hand, seems like his stagnant life has kept him at the same stage - and age - for a while.  Which is why I think of them as equals and the perfect match.

@kappy  It took courage for your parents to get together.... If their marriage had failed, there would be naysayers coming out of the woodwork "See, I told you so... you shouldn't, couldn't...etc....).  Fortunately it works out, so @kappy is able to write to us today!  THUMPS UP!

Personally this reader is OK with these dissymmetric marriages, as long as those involved think twice, three times, ....one hundred times about what and why they get together and both need equal say in the matter.... Marriage can be happiness, or...hell or both at the same time.  So for the younger member who has not had a lot of life experience, it could come as a shock!...and disaster! 

Other time, some Ajusshi from America would go to South East Asia to get a young bride... whose family urges her to go to America so that they later can sponsor them to come.    Hopefully these arranged marriages work out.

• Like 6