[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, kdramafanlsk said:

So here I was, reading some harmless (meaning nothing to do with the drama itself) posts about interview with young actor on how it was working with LSK and IU and how he auditioned for other roles as member of DH's team 3 when BOOM. I think of Kim Dae Ri's scene when he had to say "I am sorry" 10 times after badmouthing DH. And how JA uttered the same words and eventually broke down  in the middle of the road. And then I remembered something about KDR's scene. You know what KDR actually said after those 10 sorries? "I love you manager" (Well I hope it is not another botched translation by kissasian) JA and PD never said i love you in the entire drama but seems everything was said as projected thru somebody else. (At least in JA's case because "I love you" was actually a part of the line she borrowed from KDR)

Why oh why oh why does this drama do this to me??? Anything can set me off recollecting things about this drama. Feels like I had broken up with some guy and I am beginning to overanalyze. 

But I am pretty sure it was written on purpose. That is what amazes me with how this was written. It makes me marvel at the thought process of the scriptwriter. I took up some lessons on playwriting and scriptwriting but i think i am learning more from this drama than anything else.

Is there a chance to get hold of the script or any materials on this and maybe share with those interested?? (me, me, please count me in). 

@kdramafanlsk, what amazing connection you made and thanks for sharing it.  Everyone, please keep sharing these new things you see.  I am also going through a stage in my withdrawal that affects how I act in real life, making me grumpy, unmotivated, and withdrawn.  Sigh.

I am so happy script writer Park Hae Young started this script four years ago which meant she had a lot of time to ruminate and rewrite and rewrite until the whole thing became the shiny jewel that we saw.  It's a good thing Director KWS did not see it earlier!   Did you read that @justamom is also trying to get hold of the script?

• Like 8

5 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

I swear the folks on DCInside are so sharp when it comes to noticing the littlest details of this show.

Before DH's breakdown, we saw KH and his mom re-pot this particular indoor plant.

The plant's name is India rubber plant / Rubber fig (인도고무나무)

According to this site, the meaning of this plant is unchanging love and eternal happiness.

The act of moving a plant to a better pot symbolizes how Dong Hoon (who in episode 4 thought that he was born in the wrong place and couldn't be reconstructed) will have a new beginning in all aspects of his life, by starting his own business, facing the failures in his marriage, and becoming an individual who prioritizes his own happiness.

source

Just discovered DC Inside. OMG! This place is like a rabbit hole! I need to sleep tonight!!

@sadiesmith I've asked my Korean screenwriter friend but she's in her writing cave right now...will update if she responds, it might take some time. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am confused by all the DVD options available and where to order them.  I don't read Korean.  Can someone talk to me very slowly?  Is there a director's cut with no subs and a regular subbed version of what aired?  What is everyone here buying?  

9 hours ago, akhenaten said:

I think it’s a good thing for both LSK and LJE that their lineup of activities after My Ahjussi is quite different from it in the sense that the overall mood and vibe would be lighter.  For LJE, I’m sure reverting to her idol persona IU would be a welcome change as she will be singing and dancing and interacting with fans again.  Le Ji An was a suffocating and difficult persona to inhabit.  For LSK, the film he’s gonna be doing doesn’t seem to be as heavy from the little that i’ve read about it. Perhaps his role there won’t be as repressed and depressed as Park Dong Hoon. It was probably difficult for him to be PDH for 6 months because his real-life personality seems to be the total opposite. l actually couldn’t reconcile his deep sombre voice with the happy tone that he had in the clips of their post-finale party. :)

@akhenaten, did you watch this clip of the cast watching the end of the series on TV?  LSK was seated on the right, you can see his body but not his head.  But you can totally hear his laugh; it's a very distinct laugh, full and booming.  Too bad we got none of that in the drama itself.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

I am confused by all the DVD options available and where to order them.  I don't read Korean.  Can someone talk to me very slowly?  Is there a director's cut with no subs and a regular subbed version of what aired?  What is everyone here buying?  

@akhenaten, did you watch this clip of the cast watching the end of the series on TV?  LSK was seated on the right, you can see his body but not his head.  But you can totally hear his laugh; it's a very distinct laugh, full and booming.  Too bad we got none of that in the drama itself.

I think JA is just ahead of me by a note in that after watching pasta and MA, I can name his voice in 2 notes. I think JA recognized his voice in 1 note.:lol: i also used context clue. he laughed loudest when their graduation pic showed in the credits. :lol: actually the 3 brothers did look comical in those pictures.

If there is a director's cut I hope there's one with subs. Il order one as well. I do hope the script can be accessed. Fingers crossed.

Even if it takes a while to get a copy of the script I am happy to wait. Thanks much. :)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, justamom said:

How am I going to watch any drama after My Ahjussi???

If you are suffering from withdrawal symptoms, may I suggest I Am  Sam from 2007 with Park Min Young and Yang Dong Geun (not Jang Dong Gun)?

There is an age gap and an OTP and lots of other seriously fun stuff. You want K-Pop? There is T.O.P from Big Bang – with a wig, right? You want Hallyu star? There is Lee Min Ho. You want Miss Korea? There is Son Tae Young.

The ending isn't too shabby, either.

• Like 4

On 24/05/2018 at 11:00 AM, miracle525 said:

verge

Still missing My ahjussi and definitely will re watch again. I found this pictures while browsing somewhere and all of what’s said in the LOve box truly indicates what DH and Jian have shown each other. They were the first ones I thought of when I saw these pictures!DeFAcl1WAAE3ul5?format=jpg&name=mediumDeFAclrWsAEM8f1?format=jpg&name=900x900

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

• Like 11

@sadiesmith  I want to know if the DVD will have english subs too.  I want to buy it so I can re-watch everything hopefully with the more accurate translations.  

No, I haven’t seen that clip yet.  The ones that I saw are the ones where they all cheered “Hoogye” and when LSK and LJE blew out the candles on their cake. So cute! :)  I still am amazed at how insanely strong their chemistry is. Yes, considering the age gap (just stating this as a fact and not because I have anything against it) and the fact that she’s an idol primarily and he’s an actor’s actor.  :)

• Like 11

@miracle525 said "I think Sang-hoon was driven to help Ji-an (and achieve some form of redemption from his otherwise passive life in turn) by his sympathy for her. The focus on him and his downturned mouth expressed his thoughts so clearly: How could a young girl like her go through so much? This sentiment is also echoed in the faces of all the other older men (particularly Jae-chul). I'm so grateful that the Park brothers and the larger neighbourhood ultimately came through for Ji-an. No, Dong-hoon, Ji-an never needed thirty men to beat up Kwang-il on her behalf, but she needed at least a few more people to send off Grandma (who truly deserved all the love in the world), and this neighbourhood definitely has succeeded in this regard. I also appreciated the close-ups on Ki-bum and Choon-dae during the funeral service; they were two other people who understood how much Grandma meant to Ji-an."

The funeral scene shows that Ji-an was very quickly assimilated into the Gang and the people in that working neighborhood.

Like them, she has had a difficult life, so they sympathize and readily fold her into their simple lives.  It's interesting by Lawyer wife came to the funeral like a guest and left without partaking the meal with the rest.... In none of the interaction between Lawyer Yoon Hee and the Gang, was there any warmth or spontaneity.... just polite respect.  No wonder she doesn't frequent the place.  Per engineer's mother, she married down into this family, and kept it that way.

when Engineer Dong Hoon, wakes up and realizes he needs to claim his soulmate as bride, there won't be any disapproval in that neighborhood... (rather the gang will envy him and kid him for getting such a pretty young bride!!).

• Like 14

I don't remember who said it (@africandramalover?) but they were absolutely right when they said DH was reminded of the external-vs-internal-forces conversation when he broke down in ep 16.

ULya3l9.jpg

(Isn't it cute that he's watching tvN on tvN? Hehe. I used Naver's papago translator to try and understand the subtitle on the right-hand-side, and it says something about "temporary framework". I hope y'all are rewatching, like me, in order to cope as well as to discover hidden gems like this one. I swear everything's connected like a masterfully crafted movie. Not a single detail has gone to waste!)

DH's breakdown scene is so meaningful if you bring together (1) DH's conversation with JA in ep 8 and (2) KH's reflections about the film Nobody Knows (2004).

---(1)---

DH: Every building is like a struggle between external and internal forces.

Wind, weight, tremors...

We have to take into account all external factors that may affect the building so the design has to be able to withstand all that. We usually design apartments to be able to withstand 300 kilograms. And as for places like lecture halls or schools, where many people gather we design the buildings to be able to withstand much more weight. If it's just one floor, or a food court we have to take into account the areas where people will sit as well as where more of the weight will be centered when we're planning them out.
We always have to make sure... that the internal forces can withstand the external forces.

And life, in a way... is a struggle between internal and external forces, too.
No matter what happens... you'll be able to withstand anything if you have sufficient internal forces.

JA: So, what are the "internal forces" when it comes to life?

DH: I don't know.

JA: You said that I seemed to have strong "internal forces."

DH: One of my friends was a really smart guy. I thought we'd have a really successful guy come out of our neighborhood.
But not long after that guy graduated from college... he shaved his head and became a monk. At the time, his parents were bedridden and sick... and the entire neighborhood was in shock.

And there was something that he said as he left.

He said he wanted to try becoming a person who had nothing.

Everyone struggles for their whole life, trying to have things. So they live their entire lives trying to prove themselves to everyone but nobody truly knows what they are gaining by doing that.

And, even if you do end up getting what you want, if the things that made you feel safe...and the things that made you "you" start getting fractured... it's impossible to withstand it.
And you crumble.

Spoiler

NkMW9mW.jpg

That's when we see DH's flashbacks to YH, and the family they've built together.

All right, let's go! Let's see this through until the end!

And, when the things that you thought made you who you are... and the people you thought were pillars in your life... don't actually seem to provide you with any inner strength... and that nothing... is what it seems...

I guess that I subconsciously agreed with him.
And maybe that's why I gravitated toward a resume that just said "running..." instead of the other resumes that were decked out. That's why I thought that it was better than the others.

JA: I hate winter.

DH: It'll be spring soon.

JA: I hate spring, too.
I hate all of the four seasons.
I'm so tired of them.
It's always the same four seasons, over and over again.

DH: I don't think that's something that a 21-year-old should be saying.

JA:  But that isn't all there is to me, though.
I doubt that I was only born once. Let's say that I lived to see the day I was born 60 times.
And was reincarnated like 500 times. Then I'd be around 3,000 years old, maybe.

DH: 30,000.

JA: Yeah, 30,000.
I wonder why I keep getting born.

----

---(2)---

KH: So, how's she doing? Is she doing well?

DH: How would I know?

KH: She doesn't call you?

DH: Why would she call me?

KH: There's a little girl nobody knows. The mother abandoned all of her kids and left so the kids have to fend for themselves throughout the entire movie.
But I shut it off after just five minutes.
The eldest kid, who was 12 years old, would smile and would beg adults for money, and that's when I turned it off.
I couldn't bear to watch that movie, because it broke my heart too much.
I wanted to break the TV open, drag the kids out of there, and raise them myself.
I'm a movie director, and yet I can't even watch a movie. So how am I supposed to direct one?
So I watched it, the next day.
I was glad that I watched it after all.
It turned out that the kids... had some inner strength of their own.
All human beings have some sort of power within them.

----

Even if you do end up getting what you want (a stable, well-paying job; a family of his own; respect from society), if the things that made you feel safe...and the things that made you "you" start getting fractured (wife; family; job)... it's impossible to withstand it. And you crumble.

So Dong Hoon loses what he considered were "pillars" in his life, ends up with "nothing", and crumbles. Thankfully, through his own inner strength (that SW, JA, then KH taught him about) he is able to make a fresh start in his second spring.

KH says, "I am a movie director" (assuming that DF subs haven't screwed up again), and he forces himself to watch a difficult movie so that he can learn from it... so he really has decided to give it another shot? Good for him. I hope he is able to get back with Yura. They complemented each other well.

- I love that KH asks DH how JA is doing, not YH. And then he immediately talks about a hypothetical scenario that happens to be eerily similar to JA's case.

- Little girl who is abandoned by her mother and is forced to start working as young as 12 y/o... resorts even to begging... possesses an innate inner strength. Reminds me an awful lot about JA.

- I love that JA doesn't let herself be defined by her age (21 y/o). And I bet she doesn't hate spring anymore now. ^_^

• Like 20

33 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

I think @africandramalover was absolutely right when she said DH was reminded of the external-vs-internal-forces conversation when he broke down in ep 16.

(Isn't it cute that he's watching tvN on tvN? Hehe. I used Naver's papago translator to try and understand the subtitle on the right-hand-side, and it says something about "temporary framework". I hope y'all are rewatching, like me, in order to cope as well as to discover hidden gems like this one. I swear everything's connected like a masterfully crafted movie. Not a single detail has gone to waste!)

DH's breakdown scene is so meaningful if you bring together (1) DH's conversation with JA in ep 8 and (2) KH's reflections about the film Nobody Knows (2004).

---(1)---

Wind, weight, tremors...

We have to take into account all external factors that may affect the building so the design has to be able to withstand all that. We usually design apartments to be able to withstand 300 kilograms. And as for places like lecture halls or schools, where many people gather we design the buildings to be able to withstand much more weight. If it's just one floor, or a food court we have to take into account the areas where people will sit as well as where more of the weight will be centered when we're planning them out.
We always have to make sure... that the internal forces can withstand the external forces.

No matter what happens... you'll be able to withstand anything if you have sufficient internal forces.

DH: One of my friends was a really smart guy. I thought we'd have a really successful guy come out of our neighborhood.
But not long after that guy graduated from college... he shaved his head and became a monk. At the time, his parents were bedridden and sick... and the entire neighborhood was in shock.

Everyone struggles for their whole life, trying to have things. So they live their entire lives trying to prove themselves to everyone but nobody truly knows what they are gaining by doing that.

And, even if you do end up getting what you want, if the things that made you feel safe...and the things that made you "you" start getting fractured... it's impossible to withstand it.
And you crumble.

And, when the things that you thought made you who you are... and the people you thought were pillars in your life... don't actually seem to provide you with any inner strength... and that nothing... is what it seems...

And maybe that's why I gravitated toward a resume that just said "running..." instead of the other resumes that were decked out. That's why I thought that it was better than the others.

I'm so tired of them.

I doubt that I was only born once. Let's say that I lived to see the day I was born 60 times.

----

---(2)---

KH: There's a little girl nobody knows. The mother abandoned all of her kids and left so the kids have to fend for themselves throughout the entire movie.
The eldest kid, who was 12 years old, would smile and would beg adults for money, and that's when I turned it off.
I wanted to break the TV open, drag the kids out of there, and raise them myself.
I'm a movie director, and yet I can't even watch a movie. So how am I supposed to direct one?

----

Even if you do end up getting what you want (a stable, well-paying job; a family of his own; respect from society), if the things that made you feel safe...and the things that made you "you" start getting fractured (wife; family; job)... it's impossible to withstand it. And you crumble.

So Dong Hoon loses what he considered were "pillars" in his life, and crumbles. Thankfully, through his own inner strength (that SW, JA, then KH taught him about) he is able to make a fresh start in his second spring.

KH says, "I am a movie director" (assuming that DF subs haven't screwed up again) and he forces himself to watch a difficult movie so that he can learn from it... so he really has decided to give it another shot? Good for him. I hope he is able to get back with Yura. They complemented each other well.

- I love that KH asks DH how JA is doing, not YH. And then he immediately talks about a hypothetical scenario that happens to be eerily similar to JA's case.

- Little girl who is abandoned by her mother and is forced to start working as young as 12 y/o... resorts even to begging... possesses an innate inner strength. Reminds me an awful lot about JA.

- I love that JA doesn't let herself be defined by her age (21 y/o). And I bet she doesn't hate spring anymore now. ^_^

@h2ogirl.... by all you are writing, you are not thinking about changing major to civil engineering are you!???? If you do, read up on Young's modulus and get extra school loans!!! hahaha

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

Spoiler
37 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

I don't remember who said it (@africandramalover?) but they were absolutely right when they said DH was reminded of the external-vs-internal-forces conversation when he broke down in ep 16.

ULya3l9.jpg

---(1)---

Wind, weight, tremors...

And you crumble.

Reveal hidden contents

NkMW9mW.jpg

That's when we see DH's flashbacks to YH, and the family they've built together.

I'm so tired of them.

----

---(2)---

----

So Dong Hoon loses what he considered were "pillars" in his life, ends up with "nothing", and crumbles. Thankfully, through his own inner strength (that SW, JA, then KH taught him about) he is able to make a fresh start in his second spring.

KH says, "I am a movie director" (assuming that DF subs haven't screwed up again), and he forces himself to watch a difficult movie so that he can learn from it... so he really has decided to give it another shot? Good for him. I hope he is able to get back with Yura. They complemented each other well.

Thank you @h2ogirl.  Posts like yours are reasons I am not leaving this space for a while yet.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

No rest allowed for LSK though.  He has a high profile film to shoot with co-star Song Kang Ho and Director Bong Joon-Ho (film equivalent of Kim Won Seuk).

Wow! I liked Okja and Snowpiercer a lot. Park So Dam is in it too. Definite must-watch.

I still can’t stop thinking about MA. Watching MVs too. The song Halo goes pretty well with their relationship.

• Like 9

How do you guys think My Mister will fare at the Baeksang awards next year?

Since Mother, Misty, and Prison Playbook were already nominated in this year's awards, hopefully the competition will not be that brutal.. (I want them to win!) :wacko::D But they still have to go against Something in the rain, Live, Mr. Sunshine, and Life.

I'm 100% sure that Kim Won Suk, Oh Hae Young, and Lee Sun Gyun will at least be nominated for best director, best scriptwriter, and best actor. Do you think IU has a chance to be nominated as best actress?

• Like 14

37 minutes ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Since Mother, Misty, and Prison Playbook were already nominated in this year's awards, hopefully the competition will not be that brutal.. (I want them to win!) :wacko::D But they still have to go against Something in the rain, Live, Mr. Sunshine, and Life.

I'm 100% sure that Kim Won Suk, Oh Hae Young, and Lee Sun Gyun will at least be nominated for best director, best scriptwriter, and best actor. Do you think IU has a chance to be nominated as best actress?

@mushroomsoupie  we hope the award folk likes dark uplifting story.  That is the performance of a lifetime for LJE/A...she should be rewarded.

• Like 7

Ok, I caved in and started rewatching from Episode 1. DH wasnt actually immune to women afterall! In the brother's 1st bar scene together where the eldest was describing a horror movie about his life, DH said it wont work because it is missing 1 impt thing. The 2 brothers looks at him questioningly. And he cheekily answers "a woman". I almost choked on my coffee. Did that comment come from DH haha! Then immediately scene cuts to restau kitchen where you find the woman, JA. Little did the brothers know the movie in their minds will now be complete, they now have the unlikeliest female protagonist. :lol: i love this intro. Even how JA just unceremoniously swatted the bug and the shock on DH face. Priceless! :lol: btw, I think even the cinematography is different, episode 1 reminds me of french films like Amelie.:)

I am going to check if there are some more interesting details we may have missed esp. I just wish I read Korean so I can also read signs in the background. Anyway, here goes, 2nd look at MA...:D

• Like 15
  • LOL 5

2 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Has any idol gotten nomination in the past?  I hope she gets one.  Also hope that O Nara (Jung Hee) gets best supporting actress nomination and either Kim Young Min or Song Sae Byeok for best supporting actor.

• Like 11

Hello Soompians! Ok so I made it to page 207 and I needed to make some shout-outs to certain commenters or else I will forget.

First off to @tiger457_stv your comments regarding the handshake at the end was so great. Thank you for that. Also, I encounter a bunch of engineers but 94.3378% of them are so stoic and exact and uptight. So, I get why you get the details in this drama. But why are you so funny?! Are you really an engineer? I think @h2ogirl is studying to be an engineer? Your insights are also detail oriented and have a sense of humor. Don't lose that fun spirit guys! 

@akhenaten I think I will look for Maxim coffee sticks too! But I realized after rewatching to ep 8 that there really are a lot of ad placements. I've noticed the Sony headphones, the energy drinks DH  consumes, YR's bags with the pastries inside, various bags with names on them.

@chickfactor Yes, you won your point against your friend. That character wouldn't do what DH did (ask for a handshake). The ship continues to sail!

@anipanch your breakdown of that last scene with the facial expressions of JA were right on! I shed a tear reading it. Also, I too thought the kissing scene was a side kiss when they showed it. That other angle does show that lips met. I, like @berny wonder how many takes that took to get right!

Speaking of @berny I'm with you and what @nearsea said regarding both your comments about divorce when it comes to DH and YH.

@timidjock0819 I appreciate your words on how LSG and LJE dealt with the initial controversy regarding MA. I too think LJE saying that LSG is her 'best partner' is an 'in your face' to all the anti folk.

@ccl82 I too think that it would be so sad if the time jump was 3 years. How could they not contact each other for so long?! I could accept 2 years at most.

@brose_stv I appreciate the explanation about how DH called Jian at the end. Knowing the difference between the various ways of calling her name and the meanings behind each help me to understand the ending better and confirms my shipper thoughts!

@mushroomsoupie The way you explained how DH speaks in code and how you said 'when you love someone, nothing they do bothers you. I love you.' That was so beautiful! I again shed a tear.

@h2ogirl I'm going to search for Yoona's Street and try to watch it. Thanks for the recommendation.

So, upon rewatching the eps to ep 8 so far I realized YR said to the gang at JH's bar that 'failing is okay. It's nothing' and then she asked KH for a hug at her apartment door. KH awkwardly gave her a hug. So YR is the first to say it's nothing to a male of the Park family and the first to ask for a hug. And the Park males just don't know how to hug.

Also, I noticed like @tiger457_stv kind of noticed that although both JA and DH are new and improved versions of themselves some things stayed the same. For JA she still has her ponytail and she has a jacket/coat (although it fits better). DH still has that not full mustache but more than stubble facial hair. He could have shaved it off and looked clean shaven but I think he kept it to give JA a sign that a part of the old him (his love/affection for JA) is still there. As for JA she kept her look so that Ahjussi can recognize her when he spots her in Seoul. Although he told her I wouldn't have recognized her. Yeah, right! JA can recognize your voice and you can recognize her pretty face.

Got to keep reading and catch up! Then I can read @justamom's fanfic and the other things about MA that I've yet to read.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

16 hours ago, justamom said:

Confession time.

I tried to watch a new drama. Suits.

If I hadn’t watched any Korean drama before I might have watched on.

Oh my god. It was so bad.

The genius poor guy who can memorize anything. It was really unconvincing. Especially his fancy richard simmons room and all those expensive books. His character felt totally cliched.

The poor old Halmoni in an assisted living facility. Feels like they just borrowed that straight out of My Ahjussi. Every other Halmoni I see this year will just be a poor imitation of Bong Ae. 

How he got the opportunity to interview with the law firm. Pure streak of luck. Me: unconvinced.

Even Misty had a stronger opening than this!

How am I going to watch any drama after My Ahjussi???

Same here!! I started watching "about time" - although it's fun and helped me to take my mind off a little from MA, it still gets super cringy 'cos of the endless cheesy drama cliches and tropes ugghh. 

I'm totally gonna resume my rewatch after I'm done with my finals at uni. I stopped at episode 9. Will surely share my thoughts if I discover something new or hidden.

Keep on bringing all those fascinating discoveries guys! I'm blown away by all the hidden discoveries. Especially the parallel between JA and that guy's apology to DH. To think that JA might have confessed gives me goosbumps eh... 

we definitely need to keep this thread going, whoever buys the director's cut or manages to get a hold of the script please update us. Oh and we definitely need to be here for the award ceremonies :3 our babies will gonna get it 

• Like 13

6 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

@mushroomsoupie I really hope so. Their acting here, the writing and the directing was one for the books. I haven’t watched Something In The Rain but from the little that I’ve read and seen, I honestly don’t think it’s award material, unless the criteria is different. Sorry to those who love this drama. No offense meant. :)

• Like 9

7 hours ago, popai5 said:

Hello Soompians! Ok so I made it to page 207 and I needed to make some shout-outs to certain commenters or else I will forget.

First off to @tiger457_stv your comments regarding the handshake at the end was so great. Thank you for that. Also, I encounter a bunch of engineers but 94.3378% of them are so stoic and exact and uptight. So, I get why you get the details in this drama. But why are you so funny?! Are you really an engineer? I think @h2ogirl is studying to be an engineer? Your insights are also detail oriented and have a sense of humor. Don't lose that fun spirit guys! 

@akhenaten I think I will look for Maxim coffee sticks too! But I realized after rewatching to ep 8 that there really are a lot of ad placements. I've noticed the Sony headphones, the energy drinks DH  consumes, YR's bags with the pastries inside, various bags with names on them.

@chickfactor Yes, you won your point against your friend. That character wouldn't do what DH did (ask for a handshake). The ship continues to sail!

@anipanch your breakdown of that last scene with the facial expressions of JA were right on! I shed a tear reading it. Also, I too thought the kissing scene was a side kiss when they showed it. That other angle does show that lips met. I, like @berny wonder how many takes that took to get right!

Speaking of @berny I'm with you and what @nearsea said regarding both your comments about divorce when it comes to DH and YH.

@timidjock0819 I appreciate your words on how LSG and LJE dealt with the initial controversy regarding MA. I too think LJE saying that LSG is her 'best partner' is an 'in your face' to all the anti folk.

@ccl82 I too think that it would be so sad if the time jump was 3 years. How could they not contact each other for so long?! I could accept 2 years at most.

@brose_stv I appreciate the explanation about how DH called Jian at the end. Knowing the difference between the various ways of calling her name and the meanings behind each help me to understand the ending better and confirms my shipper thoughts!

@mushroomsoupie The way you explained how DH speaks in code and how you said 'when you love someone, nothing they do bothers you. I love you.' That was so beautiful! I again shed a tear.

@h2ogirl I'm going to search for Yoona's Street and try to watch it. Thanks for the recommendation.

So, upon rewatching the eps to ep 8 so far I realized YR said to the gang at JH's bar that 'failing is okay. It's nothing' and then she asked KH for a hug at her apartment door. KH awkwardly gave her a hug. So YR is the first to say it's nothing to a male of the Park family and the first to ask for a hug. And the Park males just don't know how to hug.

Also, I noticed like @tiger457_stv kind of noticed that although both JA and DH are new and improved versions of themselves some things stayed the same. For JA she still has her ponytail and she has a jacket/coat (although it fits better). DH still has that not full mustache but more than stubble facial hair. He could have shaved it off and looked clean shaven but I think he kept it to give JA a sign that a part of the old him (his love/affection for JA) is still there. As for JA she kept her look so that Ahjussi can recognize her when he spots her in Seoul. Although he told her I wouldn't have recognized her. Yeah, right! JA can recognize your voice and you can recognize her pretty face.

Got to keep reading and catch up! Then I can read @justamom's fanfic and the other things about MA that I've yet to read.

Congratulation to @popai5  for getting to page 207... that is amazing!
this reader will try to answer your questions as best he can:
1) Handshake being almost contractual (note that engineer is a concrete thinker and a business CEO now)... his handshake with Ji-an is almost an obligation that since she accepts it, she must comply...by coming to his office. 

Secondly and more important, handshakes are usually performed between 2 adults...rarely between an adult and a child.  this signifies that he NO LONGER SEE HER AS AN ADOLESCENT!  This would be very important if he ever develop romantic feeling for her (he actually has very strong feelings but has suppressed it up to now).

2) You have read too fast... If you go back to around page 120-140 you will know that @h2ogirl is a chemical engineer major who is trying her best to balance her education and her ADDICTION to MY MISTER!  this reader hopes her education will win so she can devote more time to her addiction.

3) this reader gave a clue to what he is, on page 153 about the WARNING ELECTRICTY.

4) so congratulation for meeting 1 Million engineers to find that 982,342 of them are stoical and exact and uptight....(or you got that from a poll, or alternatively you are using some combination of transcendental numbers to make your point).   Look at Engineer Dong Hoon, even when he chase Ji-an (episode 5) he won't cross the street against the light and wants to know how many gram of detergent to put into the washer.  Most tend to be like that.

• Like 7
  • LOL 8