[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, justamom said:

I need a gif for this! Anyone got one?

I will forever remember this scene...it's so well shot....and you can see Ji An's awareness of him too even though she can't see him....

From http://parkdonghoons.tumblr.com/:

tumblr_p97a5p17zW1qcn1apo2_250.giftumblr_p97a5p17zW1qcn1apo4_250.gif

tumblr_p97a5p17zW1qcn1apo5_250.giftumblr_p97a5p17zW1qcn1apo6_250.gif

tumblr_p97a5p17zW1qcn1apo7_250.giftumblr_p97a5p17zW1qcn1apo8_250.gif

Koala's Playground wrote an article about the excessive skinship in Pretty Noona not backed by a strong story leading to nowhere; lots of comments comparing to My Ajusshi:

http://koalasplayground.com/2018/05/23/pretty-noona-who-buys-me-food-ends-with-6-ratings-but-mixed-audience-reviews/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, justamom said:

OMG this man!! I'm so frustrated with him!! You know what line I most enjoyed writing in the last chapter?

"Park Dong Hoon I give up on you!"

:lol:

But can you imagine....after holding back so much for so long, when they finally do get together....it's going to be sizzling, smoldering HOT!!!

No not me. Not re-watching yet. Don't think my heart can take it :ph34r:

@justamom first off, I love your fic and I look forward to your next chapter.  It’s like a continuation of the drama. :)

I re-watch in small doses...a clip here and there. Some FMVs, though this is still quite rare.  I hope our talented friends out there would come up with a lot of FMVs for this drama. 

Yeah.  I cannot imagine how it would be when they do get together, given how mere glances between them are already so highly charged you can cut the sexual tension with a knife, like that scene on the train when he almost squished her and the one at the beginning of episode 9 when they were just looking at each other across the street.

Makes me want to watch an in-depth interview of the director, the writer, LSK and LJE on what their thoughts are about it.  I’m sure they weren’t expecting it at all, least of all LSK and LJE. :)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

No matter how you interpret it, this scene is just (heartwarmingly / heartbreakingly) beautiful.. It's been a week and I can't seem to let this drama go... The withdrawal is real..

It’s amazing that in this final scene, Ji An seems to have remembered and applied to Dong Hoon what Do Joon Young once told her about his character: that Dong Hoon only eats with someone he likes.  In this case, Ji An now offers to share a meal with him and if she’s applying the same logic, then she’s basically telling him she still likes him.  And I guess the fact that she intends to treat him to an expensive meal must signify just how much she does.  And she did this only after he gripped her hand in that long handshake which, according to a number of commenters, gave her all the confirmation she needed about the state of his feelings for her.  Notice how they both looked at their joined hands, smiled, then looked into each other’s eyes again with such happiness?:) So many token notes in this drama that if you blink, you’ll miss it. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Was backreading and saw some comments about LSK probably getting cast primarily for his voice.  Wouldn’t be surprised if that was a major factor.  Park Dong Hoon’s character might have been written with LSK already in mind as the one who would play him.  The thing with his voice is that it’s got a beautiful, low timbre and can carry over even when he speaks softly.  It’s also very fluid in that he is able to convey a lot of complex emotions through his voice alone.  It actually made even those lines that Park Dong Hoon speaks in a low tone sound very intimate, even though it’s not supposed to be.  Like that scene in ep 4 or 5 I think. He was walking with his brothers and getting teased about Lee Ji an, and then he sees her walking towards them and he suddenly asks her where she has been.  His voice sounded so warm.  To think all he said was “Where were you?”. No wonder Ji An loved listening to him. :)

I suspect the director chose LSK for his everyday-man looks and his amazing acting skills through his facial expressions alone. And once he was confirmed very early in the process, early September, the writer could use his voice asset to the fullest.  I agree that so many of his lines sounded way more intimate when spoken in such low voice, and an actor with a less distinguished voice might not have worked as well.  This role was indeed tailor-made for him.  My favorite was his asking Ji An to take medicine outside of the supermarket.  

Timeline:

early July 2017 -    Director and writer started talking about collaboration

late August 2017 - My Ajusshi officially launched and Koala's take on the potential Ajusshi romance

early September -  Lee Seon Kyun was cast

early November -   Offer out to IU and the subsequent nasty comments and furor

mid November -     IU confirmed

And as they say, the rest is history.

• Like 12

On 23.5.2018 at 12:20 AM, Schiau said:

I looked up for the definition of quarter, and guess what? 

Also, take into consideration this fact:

She returned in March, when she gave the manager 4th quarter report (i.e. the report for the 12th month). 

I also noticed something: Ji Ahn is already in Seoul when she gives the 4th quarter report to the manager. 

So, considering all of this, we can conclude she returned to Seoul after a year !

On 23.5.2018 at 7:19 PM, noor1 said:
Spoiler

I have a query, yes, couldn’t resist being back for a bit: But first let me get this out of the way: PEOPLE, THE TIME SKIP WAS A YEAR - THAT’S IT - IT WAS SHOWN IN A VERY COOL WAY AS 4 SEASONS CHANGE VIA KH-YURA ON-OFF RELATIONSHIP DRAMA. JI-AN AND DH MEET NEXT SPRING, PERIOD. I don’t know why people are calculating how long it takes him to establish a career or her to have a makeover - the time skip was of a year. It’s one of the clearest uncomplicated things in an otherwise happy, eventful but unclear ending!

YUP YUP YUP! Once the seasons are shown to have passed, we go into the scenes with KH, DH & team + JA. Each and every person is wearing the same clothes, indicating this all happened in 1 day. We then go into the cafe scene. Unlikely another set of seasons happened between KH's break-up and billboard scene, or there was another time jump after KH began writing. 

Just over a year folks. That is all.

19 hours ago, fauna said:

The writer seems to also like to use running as a way to show fondness, togetherness, and acceptance. Not only do both JA and DH passionately run to each other in their times of need, but JA is accepted by her co-workers when they run together to catch the train, and by DH’s friends when they run together to catch the bus. Even DH’s reason to hire her is because her hobby is to run.

Remember how DH smiled as YR ran past him to see KH @ the bar?

15 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

YH claims that DH comes "first" to her, but we have evidence to the contrary:

• Unlike DH, YH is someone who puts her own happiness first. During her affair, YH explicitly plans to get DH fired. To her, it's an unpleasant but necessary by-product of her plan to be with JY.
  • Just before she finds out DH knows, she doesn't care whether it's JY or DH who loses his job. She wants them to fight it out themselves. Wouldn't a caring wife vouch for her husband till the very end?
  • When DH comes home all beat-up, she breaks down in tears out of humiliation that DH knows (as evident from the flashbacks of JA saying, "Park Dong Hoon knows everything."), not because he's in bad shape.
  • She doesn't have the consideration to shut the door before calling JY in ep 11. DH overhears their conversation, and lets out the deepest sigh...
    Guess what the immediate next scene is?
      Hide contents

It's clear that he wants to call it quits too, but is forcibly holding on.

OHOHOHO... WOW. This changes things for me. I always thought that he's talking about his heart. But if it was edited this way, it implies that it is YH's heart that wants to fly away, and it's DH who is forcefully holding on to it. 

8 hours ago, miracle525 said:

By relinquishing the audio files, Kwang-il essentially gives up his lifelong grudge against Ji-an; by sending these files to Dong-hoon, Kwang-il just about entrusts Ji-an to Dong-hoon. He finally releases his hold on Ji-an after so many years, and this induces a powerful sense of loss which emanates from within himself in this scene; no, really, just look at him here!

Now 3 key people in JA's life have entrusted her to DH. Grandma, guardian, Gwang-il.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

I suspect the director chose LSK for his everyday-man looks and his amazing acting skills through his facial expressions alone. And once he was confirmed very early in the process, early September, the writer could use his voice asset to the fullest.  I agree that so many of his lines sounded way more intimate when spoken in such low voice, and an actor with a less distinguished voice might not have worked as well.  This role was indeed tailor-made for him.  My favorite was his asking Ji An to take medicine outside of the supermarket.  

Timeline:

early July 2017 -    Director and writer started talking about collaboration

late August 2017 - My Ajusshi officially launched and Koala's take on the potential Ajusshi romance

early September -  Lee Seon Kyun was cast

early November -   Offer out to IU and the subsequent nasty comments and furor

mid November -     IU confirmed

And as they say, the rest is history.

The writer actually wrote the first 4 episodes of My Mister four years ago. I think the wiretapping started in episode 3.

https://4seasonswithiu.tumblr.com/post/172866868067/trans-180411-tvn-drama-my-mister-press/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Spoiler

Director Kim Won Seok said, “4 years ago before writing ‘Another Oh Hae Young’, writer Park Hae Young wrote 4 episodes of script for ‘My Mister’. I would have done such drama earlier if I knew it existed.”

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, justamom said:

My heart just can't let go yet. I might try My Wife Had An Affair which I watched a little of when it came out but never finished.

@sadiesmith right there with you!!! Was Pasta really the last one? I don't even remember him kissing Gong Hyo Jin! My favourite was still the Coffee Prince kiss....

I watched him in another funny drama too, did you ever watch Loveholic? It's a teacher student romance and omg so bad, but Lee Seon Gyun was cool in it, as always.

The famous kiss from Pasta was actually not lip kissing, but the eye kiss at the end of episode 10.  It was swoony to the max, and they both blushed like crazy.  :wub:  He kept on kissing his female leads in subsequent projects (Oki's Movie, Petty Romance, All About My Wife, Nobody Daughter Haewon, Miss Korea) and then nothing at all.  I am starting to wonder if he is the one allergic to intimate scenes after Miss Korea. <_<

I watched Loveholic for his scenes only.  Could not bear to see him getting his heart broken in a typical 2nd lead fashion.

• Like 5

DH: Thanks. 
KH: You think she'll be able to hear you? Text her and say thank you. Come on, why not?

DH: "When you feel like you want to die, don't die" "You're a decent person" "Hang in there". The mere fact that there is a person cheering me on like that, helps me breathe. How could I stay that to her, knowing exactly how it would seem?
KH: Still, you can't even thank her? She helped you to hang in there instead of dying but you can't even thank her? Just say it, you're allowed to do that much. 
DH: Thanks for being by my side. 

So what was the first thing DH said to JA when they're reunited? 

"Thanks.Thanks. You listened to everything going on in my pathetic life, and yet you took my side. Thank you. Thanks."

:heart:

Also... 

JA confesses to DH - photographed by private investigator
DH confesses to JA - overheard by guardian CD
DH & JA hug - seen by JH (as someone pointed out). 

DH & JA handshake - possibly seen by JA's colleagues

• Like 16

@sadiesmith haha actually I've read that LSK doesn't like participating in intimate scenes after getting married :unsure: It kinda disappointed me but well, man has his priorities XD Although he still has some racy scenes in movies, so he can't say no entirely

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, anipanch said:

@sadiesmith haha actually I've read that LSK doesn't like participating in intimate scenes after getting married :unsure: It kinda disappointed me but well, man has his priorities XD Although he still has some racy scenes in movies, so he can't say no entirely

I think you mistook him for Cha Seung Won coz I never read anything like that.  

• Like 3

The Great Kim Won Seuk is moving on to his next big project, the historical drama featuring Song Joong Ki, Kim Ji Won, and Jang Dong Geun.  What a cast.  They are so lucky to get a chance to work with him.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/23/jang-dong-gun-offered-role-drama-song-joong-ki-kim-ji-won-talks/

Lee Ji Ah is set to play in her next drama too.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/11/lee-ji-ah-talks-horror-mystery-drama-park-eun-bin-choi-daniel/

I guess IU will pick up her singing career and stay there for a while?

• Like 8

5 hours ago, anipanch said:

I think his movie Petty Romance was after he got married, and it's full of racy scenes hahha ^_^

• Like 5

@ccl82 Annyeong!

That was my initial understanding too, that DH texted about forcefully holding onto YH's heart... but on rewatching, I noticed that the monk texted back: I feel sorry for your heart (불쌍하다. 마음.). So he was talking about forcefully holding onto his own heart (in his marriage).

lol about the eyeroll. Director Park Dong Woon is quite observant, and my guess is he caught onto DH's feelings for JA. I'm sooo curious about what PDW replied when the other directors asked him how DH feels about JA. Any guesses? I wish they had given us some breadcrumbs then. <_<

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

I translated the article Joseph Lim posted of Seo Hyun Woo's interview.

He mentions that he already knew LSK as his senior from their university days. He says that many of the actors were from the same arts university, so that helped them with the comrade-like rapport in the office.

"I worked with Sun Gyun hyung a few times in the past on movies, but My Mister was the first time we properly acted together. In his private life, he is a very good sunbae/senior, but on the set, he really felt like Manager Park. I began to see him not as the Sun Gyun hyung I knew but as if he were really my supervisor Dong Hoon and before I knew it I was looking at him with a respectful and admiring gaze.

Although I am only a supporting actor, I felt that Sun Gyun hyung truly believed in not only me, but everyone on the team. I think we were able to overcome the difficulties we faced during shooting thanks to him, who always gave us courage and often handed out praise. In my case, especially, I felt a lot of pressure because this was my first drama, but that part of him helped release my nerves. The way Sun Gyun hyung allowed us to focus solely on the scene and pulled us forward was very much like a veteran actor.

"I first came to know IU as a singer before an actor. I knew her only as a very good singer, but I was shocked by her acting many times while filming. I felt her deep skill, like that of a true, self-made actress who started out working on indie films and made her way up step by step. The character of Lee Ji An had already taken root inside of IU. I felt a very strong energy from her every time we filmed and her concentration was incredible. I was increasingly surprised by the way she tried to constantly maintain LJA's emotions and thoughts.

There were many times I thought to myself "she's really good at acting" while watching IU. Other Idol actors her age and young actors usually approach technical or emotional acting through trial and error, but there were no mistakes like that with IU. Every time I watched her, I just thought to myself "How does she act like that?". I'm not praising her as a colleague, but simply expressing my surprise and amazement (can't think of a better way to translate 신기함). Of course, IU's JA wasn't a role a friendship could sprout with in the story and, perhaps because of that, I couldn't approach her heartily so I just admired her acting from afar.

"I think [My Mister] was a project that Sun Gyun hyung and IU-ssi acted while trusting each other. I am glad because it seems that that trust was conveyed to the viewers through their acting and was proven/validated (as in their trust in each other was validated by the great end result). As the drama reached its climax, we (the supporting actors) were also swept along and grew tense/excited. In reality, at first, like JA and (his character's name), IU and I were uncomfortable and awkward with each other, but as the drama went on we became a little closer and more at ease. Not too long ago during the wrap up party, I called out 'Ms. Jian!' when I should have said 'Ms. IU!'. That is how much deeper an impression JA left on me than IU."

• Like 13
  • Thanks 8

Wow, @rellea, thank you so much for your translation:

Spoiler
18 minutes ago, rellea said:

He mentions that he already knew LSK as his senior from their university days. He says that many of the actors were from the same arts university, so that helped them with the comrade-like rapport in the office.

"I worked with Sun Gyun hyung a few times in the past on movies, but My Mister was the first time we properly acted together. In his private life, he is a very good sunbae/senior, but on the set, he really felt like Manager Park. I began to see him not as the Sun Gyun hyung I knew but as if he were really my supervisor Dong Hoon and before I knew it I was looking at him with a respectful and admiring gaze.

Although I am only a supporting actor, I felt that Sun Gyun hyung truly believed in not only me, but everyone on the team. I think we were able to overcome the difficulties we faced during shooting thanks to him, who always gave us courage and often handed out praise. In my case, especially, I felt a lot of pressure because this was my first drama, but that part of him helped release my nerves. The way Sun Gyun hyung allowed us to focus solely on the scene and pulled us forward was very much like a veteran actor.

"I first came to know IU as a singer before an actor. I knew her only as a very good singer, but I was shocked by her acting many times while filming. I felt her deep skill, like that of a true, self-made actress who started out working on indie films and made her way up step by step. The character of Lee Ji An had already taken root inside of IU. I felt a very strong energy from her every time we filmed and her concentration was incredible. I was increasingly surprised by the way she tried to constantly maintain LJA's emotions and thoughts.

There were many times I thought to myself "she's really good at acting" while watching IU. Other Idol actors her age and young actors usually approach technical or emotional acting through trial and error, but there were no mistakes like that with IU. Every time I watched her, I just thought to myself "How does she act like that?". I'm not praising her as a colleague, but simply expressing my surprise and amazement (can't think of a better way to translate 신기함). Of course, IU's JA wasn't a role a friendship could sprout with in the story and, perhaps because of that, I couldn't approach her heartily so I just admired her acting from afar.

"I think [My Mister] was a project that Sun Gyun hyung and IU-ssi acted while trusting each other. I am glad because it seems that that trust was conveyed to the viewers through their acting and was proven/validated (as in their trust in each other was validated by the great end result). As the drama reached its climax, we (the supporting actors) were also swept along and grew tense/excited. In reality, at first, like JA and (his character's name), IU and I were uncomfortable and awkward with each other, but as the drama went on we became a little closer and more at ease. Not too long ago during the wrap up party, I called out 'Ms. Jian!' when I should have said 'Ms. IU!'. That is how much deeper an impression JA left on me than IU."

Here's another interview, this time with Kim Min Seok, the youngest member on Dong Hoon's team:

115361_103012_5728.jpg

http://www.zenithnews.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=115361:

• Like 8

23 hours ago, justamom said:

I need a gif for this! Anyone got one?

I will forever remember this scene...it's so well shot....and you can see Ji An's awareness of him too even though she can't see him....

I've watched this way too many times....

And my interpretation is, Ji An's fingers loosen first. She let's go first. What does that mean???

He's more into her than she is into him!

:lol:

Of course, the scene was just a second, so if you blinked you missed it, but given how much they rehearsed I'm pretty sure that's how it was written into the script.

"Reluctantly, he lets her go."

@justamom wrote about hand holding at end of episode 16 :::

Of course, the scene was just a second, so if you blinked you missed it, but given how much they rehearsed I'm pretty sure that's how it was written into the script.

"Reluctantly, he lets her go."

Thank god neither Engineer nor Ji-an has palmar hyperhidrosis (sweaty palms), else water would be dripping everywhere with them holding on for so long!!!

• LOL 9

3 hours ago, rellea said:

I am glad that other cast members validated what we were all suspecting in the back pages about this duo's deep on-screen partnership. The trust between LSG and LJE shined through and even made brighter by their intense chemistry in this drama. It really showed how much they cared about each other's performance. As mentioned before, the classic example of that level of trust was the confrontation/ love confession at the end of episode 10 (still my favorite:heart:). LSG just completely trusted LJE to take over the entire scene and delivered probably one of her most intense lines. She was that impressive and everything about her acting nuanced was on point, while LSG steady his phase and just allowed her to have the moment. He never tried once to overpower her presence. If their partnership was a painting, LSG was like a sturdy frame that held LJE like a precious art by letting her shine and perform beautifully on screen. I know it's going to take some time or even years but I'm still hopeful that both of them will partner up again in another project. Their onscreen partnership is really precious to just end it in one drama. 

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

The Great Kim Won Seuk is moving on to his next big project, the historical drama featuring Song Joong Ki, Kim Ji Won, and Jang Dong Geun.  What a cast.  They are so lucky to get a chance to work with him.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/23/jang-dong-gun-offered-role-drama-song-joong-ki-kim-ji-won-talks/

Lee Ji Ah is set to play in her next drama too.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/11/lee-ji-ah-talks-horror-mystery-drama-park-eun-bin-choi-daniel/

I guess IU will pick up her singing career and stay there for a while?

Sadly yes:( LJE is back to being IU for the rest of the year. I will miss her in k-dramaland but she is also on top of the music charts and will release her comeback album next year. Seriously, I'm not looking forward to another IU drought at this point:cry: . She will disappear for a while (except for CF films) while creating her album. I am wishing with the success of My Ajusshi, I will not wait another 2 years before she decides on another drama. 

LSG is also taking a break, that man needs to do more kdramas and not be stuck doing movies all the time:(

• Like 11