[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

I'm so so happy to still see so many new insightful comments on this thread. Real life/work has been so exhausting this week I've still not started my much needed re-watch.

I don't know how I'm gonna move on from this show. I actually don't even want to move on. I don't think I could concentrate on any other drama right now.

This has already been mentioned by others but @Kimchi Sweet Potato's MVs and @justamom's fic are giving me LIFE through this withdrawal.

The latest MV especially is so beautiful. I just feel so warm and happy seeing Ji An and Dong Hoon's journey.

And if you're one of the unfortunate souls who still hasn't read this wonderful fic Contact, run to it. The tone is seriously so close to the show. So measured and understated.

Now off to read all the wonderful comments!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kdramafanlsk said:

Ok, I caved in and started rewatching from Episode 1. DH wasnt actually immune to women afterall! In the brother's 1st bar scene together where the eldest was describing a horror movie about his life, DH said it wont work because it is missing 1 impt thing. The 2 brothers looks at him questioningly. And he cheekily answers "a woman". I almost choked on my coffee. Did that comment come from DH haha! Then immediately scene cuts to restau kitchen where you find the woman, JA. Little did the brothers know the movie in their minds will now be complete, they now have the unlikeliest female protagonist. :lol: i love this intro. Even how JA just unceremoniously swatted the bug and the shock on DH face. Priceless! :lol: btw, I think even the cinematography is different, episode 1 reminds me of french films like Amelie.:)

I am going to check if there are some more interesting details we may have missed esp. I just wish I read Korean so I can also read signs in the background. Anyway, here goes, 2nd look at MA...:D

@kdramafanlsk  when Engineer Dong Hoon said the scene is lacking for a woman when older brother Sang Hoon described the imaginary film titled "Ajusshi", subconsciously, without realizing it, he was referring to his own life.

At that point, not knowing anything about his wife's affair, he already had a vague unspoken, amorphic thought about his own life...unfulfilled, frustrated, empty.  To think that "Ajusshi" (himself) is lacking for a woman, when Ajusshi makes 10K per month, is respected by his peers in the company,  has a beautiful successful lawyer wife and a wonderful son.... showed clearly that he was drifting, unhappily through life, just like that train ride that he took every day, endlessly to.... NO WHERE.

Deja vu... the arrival of a cold, impudent, underdressed brat, who dare to kill the Lady Bug!  How that one seemingly insignificant encounter changed his life for the better....HE CAN SMILE!...and the END IS JUST THE BEGINNING!

Thanks @kdramafanlsk for pointing this out. Keep watching and tell us other details. That writer and director plan out the tiniest of details!

• Like 11

4 hours ago, akhenaten said:

@mushroomsoupie I really hope so. Their acting here, the writing and the directing was one for the books. I haven’t watched Something In The Rain but from the little that I’ve read and seen, I honestly don’t think it’s award material, unless the criteria is different. Sorry to those who love this drama. No offense meant. :)

Except I wouldn't put it pass the Award voting body to pick winners based solely on popularity, and Something in the Rain and its leads were very popular in South Korea.  Then there is Kim Eun Seuk's Mr. Sunshine, which I know won't be anywhere close to My Ajusshi in substance.  Yet somehow Korean audience lapped all her dramas like a hungry wolf, and they got recognized come award season.  I have watched most of them and cringed through everything.  It will be interesting to see what kind of ratings Mr. Sunshine manages to generate.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, anipanch said:

Same here!! I started watching "about time" - although it's fun and helped me to take my mind off a little from MA, it still gets super cringy 'cos of the endless cheesy drama cliches and tropes ugghh. 

I'm totally gonna resume my rewatch after I'm done with my finals at uni. I stopped at episode 9. Will surely share my thoughts if I discover something new or hidden.

I was thinking of watching it, but, just not in the mood yet. Lee Sang Yoon has been one of my favourites for a long time...not the best actor but just so comfortable to look at on screen....he always takes these "dream son in law" roles and I've been thinking he should try and break out of that, but with that face and voice...

Good luck with your finals!

2 hours ago, arctichare said:

And if you're one of the unfortunate souls who still hasn't read this wonderful fic Contact, run to it. The tone is seriously so close to the show. So measured and understated.

Thank you dear. I just set out to continue their story from the handshake...and suddenly it became something so much bigger than I originally imagined. 

There're still about 15-20 people tracking this forum. Amazing!! Thanks for reassuring me that I'm not the only crazy out there:lol:

And @Kimchi Sweet Potato I've been playing your MVs non-stop. They put me straight in the mood to write.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Except I wouldn't put it pass the Award voting body to pick winners based solely on popularity, and Something in the Rain and its leads were very popular in South Korea.  Then there is Kim Eun Seuk's Mr. Sunshine, which I know won't be anywhere close to My Ajusshi in substance.  Yet somehow Korean audience lapped all her dramas like a hungry wolf, and they got recognized come award season.  I have watched most of them and cringed through everything.  It will be interesting to see what kind of ratings Mr. Sunshine manages to generate.

@sadiesmith @akhenaten 

@AKHENATEN SAID: @mushroomsoupie I really hope so. Their acting here, the writing and the directing was one for the books. I haven’t watched Something In The Rain but from the little that I’ve read and seen, I honestly don’t think it’s award material, unless the criteria is different. Sorry to those who love this drama. No offense meant. :)

@SADIESMITH Except I wouldn't put it pass the Award voting body to pick winners based solely on popularity, and Something in the Rain and its leads were very popular in South Korea.  Then there is Kim Eun Seuk's Mr. Sunshine, which I know won't be anywhere close to My Ajusshi in substance.  Yet somehow Korean audience lapped all her dramas like a hungry wolf, and they got recognized come award season.  I have watched most of them and cringed through everything.  It will be interesting to see what kind of ratings Mr. Sunshine manages to generate.

@sadiesmith, You talk about Mr. Sunshine

Well this song will tell how it will fare against My Ajusshi

Ain't no sunshine for Mr. Sunshine
It ain't so warm like My Ajusshi
Ain't no sunshine like with THE PAIR
When they meet after so long
and the spark won't fly away!

When the time comes for the awards
and the audience has to compare
Ain't no sunshine like My Ajusshi
And the awards won't be the same
when it's time for the Baeksang!

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
 It's not warm when she's away
 And she's always gone to long
 Anytime she goes away

Wonder this time where she's gone
 Wonder if she's gone to stay
 And this house just ain't no home
 Anytime she goes away

• LOL 6

43 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

@sadiesmith, You talk about Mr. Sunshine

Well this song will tell how it will fare against My Ajusshi

LOL you are too funny!

You guys got me interested in Mr Sunshine. Honestly, I'm not a fan of Kim Eun Sook. DOTS was well written in the commercial blockbuster sense but I really couldn't get past the first two episodes for Goblin. And I hated Secret Garden too (hubby liked it, whatever). But I love Kim Taeri! There's just this raw honesty to her in all her films so far. And they're playing patriotic sentiment to the max by setting it during the Japanese Occupation. It reminds me of another old novel/drama, Toji (The Land)...

• Like 2

I have also started to watch the new crops, among all miss hammurabi is quite good, which is a given, since it's an adaptation of a book. But about time is quite fast paced and I can't warm up to the typical romance tropes right now after the adaptation to the slow pacing and deeper insights from 'My Ahjussi'. I miss their train journeys, walk into the alleys and the conversations in the divorced guy's cafe. I miss park dong hoon's slow walks as well. :D Also, should I add, that last run to catch the bus together was brilliant? I think we got everything kind of that we wished for, a hug, both running for each other, both running together, both confessing their feelings for each other. So no wonder there was collective disappointment, the slow build raised our expectation haha.

I don't know, I will probably start rewatching soon. I am not yet ready to let this drama go :'(. How I wish we had a second season!

PS: With the new trend of Japanese adaptation of kdramas, I won't be surprised if my ahjussi gets a Japanese remake. I would be curious to see if they add more romance haha.

• Like 12

@akhenaten said: I really hope so. Their acting here (My Ajusshi), the writing and the directing was one for the books. I haven’t watched Something In The Rain but from the little that I’ve read and seen, I honestly don’t think it’s award material, unless the criteria is different. Sorry to those who love this drama. No offense meant. :)

@justamom

this reader says:  THERE IS Something in the Rain....with this song...(and it's not about Bap, food, or Noona):

Here comes MY AJUSSHI
 coming into my head like a memory
 coming into my soul like a new emotion

I want to walk in the crisp cold night
 I want to hear your deep whisper
 want to feel your emotion
 I'm tearing with you?

Ajushi talk to me
 like Chin-gu do
 Walk with me
 like Chin-gu do
 Breath with me
 like Chin-gu do

Here comes MY AJUSSHI
 entering my heart like a mystery
 tearing me apart with new emotion

I want to breathe in the open wind
 I want to BLANK like lovers do
 want to dive into your ocean
 Am I obsessed with you?

Ajusshi talk to me
 Like lovers do
 Eat with me
 like lovers do
 Smile to me
 like lovers do

Ajusshi talk to me
 like lovers do

(Here comes again)

Here comes MY AJUSSHI
 coming into my headset through my cell phone
 entering  my heart with a new emotion
( Here he goes again, here he goes again)

I want to run in the freezing wind
 Am I taken by you?

Here comes MY AJUSSHI
 coming into my head like a memory
 entering  my soul with a new emotion
( Here he goes again, here he goes again)

Am I bewitched by you?

ORIGINAL

Here comes the rain again
 Falling on my head like a memory
 Falling on my head like a new emotion

I want to walk in the open wind
 I want to talk like lovers do
 Is it raining with you?

So baby talk to me
 Like lovers do
 Walk with me
 Like lovers do
 Talk to me
 Like lovers do

Raining in my hand like a tragedy
 Tearing me apart like a new emotion

I want to kiss like lovers do
 Is it raining with you?

So baby talk to me
 Like lovers do
 Walk with me
 Like lovers do
 Talk to me
 Like lovers do

So baby talk to me
 Like lovers do

Here comes again

Falling on my head like a memory
 Falling on my head like a new emotion
 Here it goes again, here it goes again

Is it rainin' with you?

falling on my head like a memory
 falling on my head like e new emotion

Is it raining with you?

Here comes the rain again...
 falling on my head like a memory
 falling on my head like a new emotion

• Like 4

Is the area that DH and the gang live called Hoogye/Hoogae?

The first time I heard the word in the drama, it sounded very familiar to me, especially when written in the subs. It's been bugging me since then... so anyway, today I'm doing research for my story that is quickly going nowhere :ph34r: ..... I go to Pintrest for inspiration. As I search for "creating intimacy" I see "Hygge" in one of the pins.

Hoogye? Hygge? I realise that this is why Hoogae looked and sounded familiar to me. I had seen a video where Oprah interviewed women in Copenhagen. They told her about this phenomenon.

Hygge is a Danish concept of happiness (pronounced as Hoo-ga). there's even a research institute to promote it as a Danish cultural trait. It is variously described as:

a) A calm comfortable time with people you love, a complete absence of frustrations or anything emotionally overwhelming. Often enjoyed with good food and drinks, warm blankets and candlelight. 

b. a deep sense of place and wellbeing; a feeling of friendship, warmth, contentment, and peace with your immediate surroundings.

c. the art of building a sanctuary and community, inviting closeness and paying attention to what makes us feel open hearted and alive.... to create wellbeing, connection and warmth.

Now I am not saying the writer used this concept in her work, but I was struck by the similarity. Does art imitate life? Did she adapt some of the ideas?

I mean, look at this picture below..... (if it is not clear you can see more images here and here. )This is JA and DH and the neighbourhood gang!! I might be stretching things... but some of the items in the manifesto sound a lot like what DH and JA were to one another...

- gratitude - all those "thank you's"

- equality

- togetherness

-shelter - this is described in the poster below as "this is your tribe. this is a place of peace and security."

DH and JA drink and eat together, DH and JA are grateful to one another, DH and JA are one another's shelter, DH was most comfortable in this Hoogye place..... is this Hoogye their comfort?

33540534_10156033890080412_5093221855980

Meanwhile, my story is still going downhill.....

I have also been wondering why the writer took time off from writing this drama to write Another Oh Hae Young... especially since she abandoned the project at episode 4....

maybe she hit one of those writer's blocks that you get when you are writing about "controversial"  or "extreme" material... Your conscience and the story need time to reconcile... or you just hit a dead end in your brain....

I think she diverted her attention and wrote Another Oh Hae Young to give her brain time to process the story. AOHY is basically the same thing... a male lead who's an engineer, sound as a character, illegal activity by one of the leads....

Just wondering about her thought process...

I finished watching My Spring Days,  so I'm rewatching My Mister.... cannot. Move. on. 

• Like 13
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, but I was going through the DC Inside forums and thought this was really interesting.

Everyone remembers the persimmons (some subs called them tomatoes for some reason) that JA kept buying for her grandma and leaving behind, right? Someone brought up an interesting point about how in media, something red is often placed to represent the red string of fate (e.g. the red scarf from Goblin).

In My Ahjussi, persimmons took that role. Persimmons look more orange than red to me, but they're usually considered red in Korean culture (like how green traffic lights are called 'blue' even though they're clearly not).

The first time JA and DH met in the store, DH grabbed the persimmons she took out and ran out to try and give them to her but couldn't find her.

Then, when she was hit by a bike and dropped her persimmons, DH grabbed them and chased after her again. That was the episode he found out about her grandma, told her "you are a good person", the first time JA started to open her heart to him, and the reason he started to willingly spend time with her. So in a sense, the persimmons (fate) were what brought them together.

I thought this was really interesting because I'd noticed persimmons kept appearing in the earlier episodes and thought they had to have some meaning but couldn't guess what.

Here's the link to the post if anyone can read Korean and wants to read it for yourself:

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=52584&page=2

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, rellea said:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, but I was going through the DC Inside forums and thought this was really interesting.

Everyone remembers the persimmons (some subs called them tomatoes for some reason) that JA kept buying for her grandma and leaving behind, right? Someone brought up an interesting point about how in media, something red is often placed to represent the red string of fate (e.g. the red scarf from Goblin).

In My Ahjussi, persimmons took that role. Persimmons look more orange than red to me, but they're usually considered red in Korean culture (like how green traffic lights are called 'blue' even though they're clearly not).

The first time JA and DH met in the store, DH grabbed the persimmons she took out and ran out to try and give them to her but couldn't find her.

Then, when she was hit by a bike and dropped her persimmons, DH grabbed them and chased after her again. That was the episode he found out about her grandma, told her "you are a good person", the first time JA started to open her heart to him, and the reason he started to willingly spend time with her. So in a sense, the persimmons (fate) were what brought them together.

I thought this was really interesting because I'd noticed persimmons kept appearing in the earlier episodes and thought they had to have some meaning but couldn't guess what.

Here's the link to the post if anyone can read Korean and wants to read it for yourself:

@rellea  comments about red persimmons and fate.

this reader always like persimmons (the hard fuyu type).  One time almost cracks a tooth on a seed... guess that is fate also...!

• LOL 7

Spoiler
2 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Is the area that DH and the gang live called Hoogye/Hoogae?

The first time I heard the word in the drama, it sounded very familiar to me, especially when written in the subs. It's been bugging me since then... so anyway, today I'm doing research for my story that is quickly going nowhere :ph34r: ..... I go to Pintrest for inspiration. As I search for "creating intimacy" I see "Hygge" in one of the pins.

Hoogye? Hygge? I realise that this is why Hoogae looked and sounded familiar to me. I had seen a video where Oprah interviewed women in Copenhagen. They told her about this phenomenon.

Hygge is a Danish concept of happiness (pronounced as Hoo-ga). there's even a research institute to promote it as a Danish cultural trait. It is variously described as:

a) A calm comfortable time with people you love, a complete absence of frustrations or anything emotionally overwhelming. Often enjoyed with good food and drinks, warm blankets and candlelight. 

b. a deep sense of place and wellbeing; a feeling of friendship, warmth, contentment, and peace with your immediate surroundings.

c. the art of building a sanctuary and community, inviting closeness and paying attention to what makes us feel open hearted and alive.... to create wellbeing, connection and warmth.

Now I am not saying the writer used this concept in her work, but I was struck by the similarity. Does art imitate life? Did she adapt some of the ideas?

I mean, look at this picture below..... (if it is not clear you can see more images here and here. )This is JA and DH and the neighbourhood gang!! I might be stretching things... but some of the items in the manifesto sound a lot like what DH and JA were to one another...

- gratitude - all those "thank you's"

- equality

- togetherness

-shelter - this is described in the poster below as "this is your tribe. this is a place of peace and security."

DH and JA drink and eat together, DH and JA are grateful to one another, DH and JA are one another's shelter, DH was most comfortable in this Hoogye place..... is this Hoogye their comfort?

My story is still going downhill.....

I have also been wondering why the writer took time off from writing this drama to write Another Oh Hae Young... especially since she abandoned the project at episode 4....

maybe she hit one of those writer's blocks that you get when you are writing about "controversial"  or "extreme" material... Your conscience and the story need time to reconcile... or you just hit a dead end in your brain....

I think she diverted her attention and wrote Another Oh Hae Young to give her brain time to process the story. AOHY is basically the same thing... a male lead who's an engineer, sound as a character, illegal activity by one of the leads....

Just wondering about her thought process...

I finished watching My Spring Days,  so I'm rewatching My Mister.... cannot. Move. on. 

@africandramalover, what a finding and thank you for sharing it with us.  Didn't someone say the name Hyooge and this neighborhood are all fictional?  I won't be surprised at all if the writer did get her inspiration from this Danish concept.  If I am not mistaken, the TV show about watching fire, the one that the Chairman talked about, was also a Scandinavian show?  I tried to dig up the name but to no avail.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 5

On 5/24/2018 at 2:28 PM, anipanch said:

@sadiesmith haha actually I've read that LSK doesn't like participating in intimate scenes after getting married :unsure: It kinda disappointed me but well, man has his priorities XD Although he still has some racy scenes in movies, so he can't say no entirely

I’m sure he’ll do it if the role calls for it. In a recent movie, A Special Lady, he is a gangster/assassin obsessively in love with an older woman, and has meaningless sex with a younger woman.

Here’s a clip (warning - graphic language and sexual situations).

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello all, more shout outs:

@akhenaten your take on the fact that the controversies were a blessing in disguise so that JA and DH's feelings had to be expressed subtly was right on target! So was your comment on the time skip.

@ccl82 your obsessing about the time jump comments are what I believe. I also appreciate your later comments about shipping DH and JA

@ninaanin your explaining the ending and your comments of the 'sad face' and your boyfriend now husband gave me hope for good things for DH and JA.

@anipanch and @timidjock0819 both of your comments regarding the special  onscreen chemistry between LSG and LJE were totally appreciated by me.

@fauna your take on DH's feelings for JA being expressed through 3rd parties like JY is a very good observation.

@tiger457_stv your remarks about JA's persistence leading to fireworks between her and DH are my thoughts too!

@africandramalover and @justamom your thoughts that DH and JA can only have each other and can only be together not with anyone else rings so true! They can't be with anyone else and be happy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rellea said:

@rellea, thank you for sharing that insight from DCinside.  It somehow makes me very happy that Korean viewers are as obsessed about the details of this show as we are here.  A few pages back (I can't find it anymore) someone pointed out that in Buddhism the persimmon fruit is a symbol for transformation, from bitter to sweet.  The change within a persimmon is just like the transformation in Ji An, from a cold, ruthless person to someone with love and compassion, and she was only able to do that through the kindness of a morally upright person.  Here, I am going to copy from this page:

http://mystickorea.blogspot.com/2012/09/persimmon-and-its-significance-among.html

Persimmon , or  “gam”, is a Buddhist symbol of transformation. Before the persimmon is ripe, it’s green and very bitter. But, it changes its color to a vibrant orange and is very sweet when ripe. This “bitter to sweet” symbolic fruit is mostly eaten when ripe.

796px-Hachiya_persimmons_on_tree_close-up.jpg

Even in the Food Culture of the "Jongga Ancestral Rituals",  Persimmon fruit is consider as one of the important ritual food or fruits. According to the scriptures, it is because if you plant the seed of a persimmon, the resulting tree will produce only small-size, astringent fruit. As such, it is necessary to take a branch from that tree, after three to five years, and graft it onto another persimmon tree in order to produce high-quality fruit. The persimmon tree is used as a metaphor for the fact that people must undergo education so that they can become proper members of society.

• Like 11

Wow, y'all are amazing. It turns out Hoo-Gye-dong is a fictional place!

I would have never thought to look this up:

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2018/04/23/2018042301196.html

"One call, and 100 will come" - Najusshi's Warm Hoo-Gye-dong people

A warm and cheerful place that only exists in "My Ahjussi," the people of Hoo-Gye-dong gently moved the viewers. Never mind the whole neighborhood, people often don't know their next door neighbors these days. But sharing with your neighbors your unremarkable daily life and to cry and laugh with them, it is fragrant like perfume.

"My Ahjussi" which is the story of plain people who use all their strength to endure the world, and has elicited strong sympathy from viewers. In this show, there is a neighborhood that feels like it really exists somewhere in this world, and so you want to see it for real. It may be worn-out and humble but it is full of "sticky" affection, that is Hoo-Gye-dong.

It is where the three ahjussi brothers were born and raised, it is said to exist at the "mouth" of Seoul, and it is where 'ruined people' live. At some point, they were vice-chairman of a bank, chief of an auto research division, board member of a pharmaceutical company - they had times when they were very successful. But now, they are middle-aged, and they work supplying towels to a motel, import mudfish, or operate a cleaning business. In the evenings, they gather at "Jung-Hee's" and talk about trivial things and work out the difficulties of their days. Whenever they have time, they wear jackets that say "Hoo-Gye Soccer Club" and walk around as a team, earning the complaints of their wives. But they are somehow never hateful, and their "stickiness" makes you envious.

In Ep. 10, when Dong-Hoon was was beaten up Kwang-Il, seeing how enraged the Hoo-Gye-dong people became and ran in the middle of the night elicited joyful laughter. Whatever the reason was, based on a single fact that someone hit Dong-Hoon got everyone to shout, hopping mad, "Who did this? Just wait until we catch him." And when a police car with sirens approached, they said, "he can't go to the police station, this is an important time at his work," and they shielded him with their bodies. When Dong-Hoon made the excuse that someone bumped into him and cursed at him, so he fought with him, they didn't question him further, even though it didn't sound like him. Instead, they concentrated on how to make excuses for his mother and his wife. It may seem childish, but we felt the affection and loyalty.

Perhaps this is why. This is the day when Dong-Hoon told Ji-An, "If Kwang-Il gives you a hard time, then call me. There are many people who will come to help with just one call. Call at any time. 100 people would come." That their fathers were friends and all attended the same elementary school, and everyone knows each other - that is perhaps not the only reason. And it's not as if they can solve the problem like extremely capable people, or a hero. But Dong-Hoon, who grew up in this neighborhood since birth, knows that when he is having the most difficult time, knowing that someone who will get even angrier on his behalf, and curse someone out for him, and be on his side - he knows how comforting that is. And he felt that that was what Ji-An needed most.

This is a neighborhood in which warm people gather and endure the harsh world together. When they begin the day early in the morning, they shout "fighting" for you, and will drink with you until late, and share trivial talk with you. Yu-Ra, who feared failure realized here that failure is okay. It made you look forward to when Ji-An, a "rigid person" would one day come here to relax. This space that feels like a fantasy, it makes you want to live in this neighborhood.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

A warm and cheerful place that only exists in "My Ahjussi," the people of Hoo-Gye-dong gently moved the viewers. Never mind the whole neighborhood, people often don't know their next door neighbors these days. But sharing with your neighbors your unremarkable daily life and to cry and laugh with them, it is fragrant like perfume.

"My Ahjussi" which is the story of plain people who use all their strength to endure the world, and has elicited strong sympathy from viewers. In this show, there is a neighborhood that feels like it really exists somewhere in this world, and so you want to see it for real. It may be worn-out and humble but it is full of "sticky" affection, that is Hoo-Gye-dong.

It is where the three ahjussi brothers were born and raised, it is said to exist at the "mouth" of Seoul, and it is where 'ruined people' live. At some point, they were vice-chairman of a bank, chief of an auto research division, board member of a pharmaceutical company - they had times when they were very successful. But now, they are middle-aged, and they work supplying towels to a motel, import mudfish, or operate a cleaning business. In the evenings, they gather at "Jung-Hee's" and talk about trivial things and work out the difficulties of their days. Whenever they have time, they wear jackets that say "Hoo-Gye Soccer Club" and walk around as a team, earning the complaints of their wives. But they are somehow never hateful, and their "stickiness" makes you envious.

In Ep. 10, when Dong-Hoon was was beaten up Kwang-Il, seeing how enraged the Hoo-Gye-dong people became and ran in the middle of the night elicited joyful laughter. Whatever the reason was, based on a single fact that someone hit Dong-Hoon got everyone to shout, hopping mad, "Who did this? Just wait until we catch him." And when a police car with sirens approached, they said, "he can't go to the police station, this is an important time at his work," and they shielded him with their bodies. When Dong-Hoon made the excuse that someone bumped into him and cursed at him, so he fought with him, they didn't question him further, even though it didn't sound like him. Instead, they concentrated on how to make excuses for his mother and his wife. It may seem childish, but we felt the affection and loyalty.

Perhaps this is why. This is the day when Dong-Hoon told Ji-An, "If Kwang-Il gives you a hard time, then call me. There are many people who will come to help with just one call. Call at any time. 100 people would come." That their fathers were friends and all attended the same elementary school, and everyone knows each other - that is perhaps not the only reason. And it's not as if they can solve the problem like extremely capable people, or a hero. But Dong-Hoon, who grew up in this neighborhood since birth, knows that when he is having the most difficult time, knowing that someone who will get even angrier on his behalf, and curse someone out for him, and be on his side - he knows how comforting that is. And he felt that that was what Ji-An needed most.

This is a neighborhood in which warm people gather and endure the harsh world together. When they begin the day early in the morning, they shout "fighting" for you, and will drink with you until late, and share trivial talk with you. Yu-Ra, who feared failure realized here that failure is okay. It made you look forward to when Ji-An, a "rigid person" would one day come here to relax. This space that feels like a fantasy, it makes you want to live in this neighborhood.

@chickfactor Hogye-dong is one of three townships named hogye-dong 1, 2, 3  in the City of Anyang, Gyeonggi Province,  a satellite City of Seoul,  approximately 21km south of Seoul... It is connected by seoul subway line 1, and 4.  It is line 4 which is used by Ajusshi and Ji-an to travel to and from work.   the township does exist.

• Like 7

Spoiler
35 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Thank you for translating that lovely article.  I am never going to stop crying at the never-ending depth and beauty of this drama.  And to think that this treasure is accessible merely by the touch of a button just leaves me speechless.  Writer Park Hae Young and Director KWS had better win those awards next year.

• Like 9