[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

12 minutes ago, justamom said:

Sorry can't delete the above videos.

OMG that to me is the clearest sign of the writer's intent. Translation of the two TVN clips below:

헉 지안이가 내 심장 뚜까 패고 감(심쿵)
이대로 로코 하나 찍읍시다 예?

Ji An making my heart race (moved)

Shall we continue shooting a romantic comedy from here?

[나의 아저씨 엔딩] “지안, 편안함에 이르렀나?”
이 여운 어떡해...

"Ji An, have you reached comfort?"

What can we do (where do we go), with that lingering thought?

MWAHAHAHAHA. Shippers!! :lol:

I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand.  Who is saying all those lines?  Please help!!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, justamom said:

OMG that to me is the clearest sign of the writer's intent. Translation of the two TVN clips below:

헉 지안이가 내 심장 뚜까 패고 감(심쿵)
이대로 로코 하나 찍읍시다 예?

이 여운 어떡해...

Tehehe. 

Meanwhile, I've been refreshing http://program.tving.com/tvn/mymister/9/Contents/Html hoping someone's drawn a big a** heart between DH JA. Lol. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, Joseph Lim said:

Wonder what this news is about...

Spoiler
Spoiler

@Joseph Lim

24 minutes ago, justamom said:

헉 지안이가 내 심장 뚜까 패고 감(심쿵)
이대로 로코 하나 찍읍시다 예?

이 여운 어떡해...

@justamom, thanks!   ^Lee Sun-kyun right hand never left Lee Ji-eun's shoulder on repeat, LOL

My Mister rose to number one at https://mydramalist.com/shows/top

Ratings: 9.3/10 from 1,168 users
# of Watchers: 4,608
Reviews: 16 users

• Like 15
  • LOL 1

12 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand.  Who is saying all those lines?  Please help!!

Oh it's just someone from TVN who ships them as much as some of us Soompians. Whoever's in charge of their Twitter account... :wink: but to me seems to confirm that they watered down the romance. It's still there, but super subtle

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, justamom said:

Oh it's just someone from TVN who ships them as much as some of us Soompians. Whoever's in charge of their Twitter account... :wink: but to me seems to confirm that they watered down the romance. It's still there, but super subtle

@justamom, I believe TVN was their biggest shipper.  Didn't they themselves promote this show as an epic romance between LSK and IU?  One to rival the Goblin romance? Once it was all over, do you think they felt played and embarrassed? 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

4 hours ago, akhenaten said:

@justamom ah that explains the skill.  And the way he is able to use his whole body to act.  There are times he merely acts with his eyes, a slight twitch of his eyebrow, or a slight smile.  And most of the time, he just acts with the sound of his breathing or his voicenor his footsteps (which Ji An loved :) ).  No wonder the director had a lot of scenes where the camera was focused on his face and there are no other background sounds with him in it, except for the incidental ones like the train engine or people talking in the street.  PD was maximizing his lead actor’s skill in highly nuanced acting. 

@akhenaten, I love your post because it hits on something I really like about this actor, the subtle facial expressions that helps tell the story, helps paint the emotions, expressions that let us know what the actor is thinking and feeling.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

Wonder what this news is about...

Hahaha.

Second vid, the lady bug scene.

Edited by Guest
Please do not quote videos! Thanks! :)

Guys, I have a confession to make:  this drama affected and influenced me so much that I replaced my iPhone with a Samsung Galaxy S9. Park Dong Hoon is such an effective endorser! Too bad they didn’t have it in his shade of dark blue. I’m planning to check out the supermarket for that Maxim coffee next.  As to Quiznos, uhm, maybe for my next lunch? 

uhm.  I forgot to ask the attendant at the store if I’ll get to hear Dong Hoon’s voice on that phone. :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 18

22 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Guys, I have a confession to make:  this drama affected and influenced me so much that I replaced my iPhone with a Samsung Galaxy S9. Park Dong Hoon is such an effective endorser! Too bad they didn’t have it in his shade of dark blue. I’m planning to check out the supermarket for that Maxim coffee next.  As to Quiznos, uhm, maybe for my next lunch? 

uhm.  I forgot to ask the attendant at the store if I’ll get to hear Dong Hoon’s voice on that phone. :D

What about the vacuum cleaner? Did you get that?

Personally I bought sox.  Watching JiAn go through winter with bare ankles made me go buy sox. [and i live in the tropics. lol]

• Like 3
  • LOL 13

Spoiler
5 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

@sadiesmith 

It seems like the war of shippers-shipless  goes on....  For the shippers it give angst that the final ending is still ambiguous.  this reader is almost 100% convince what the ending shall be and thus feel contented!

Let's look at the psychological profiles of the THE PAIR.

Engineer Dong Hoon... successful CEO tall, handsome for a 46 years old man so he should have lots of women chasing after him, wouldn't he??? 

BUT, people still think he is married (even if he is divorced, he probably told no one), he is not easily approachable, is picky in who he wants to be friendly with, is picky in who he wants to eat with, is very very picky in who he will tell his trouble, who he is willing to bare his soul..... 

Throughout his 46 years, he confessed his inner thought to ONE person... and that person is not a lawyer.   In fact, the only reason he even confess anything about his inner self, was due to a unique initial curiosity,  vague attraction, pity, gratitude when he was caught in the entrapment, then recognition of the like-minded, a sense of shared solace, and finally familiarity, dependency and need for each other's company... and even with that person, his confession was reluctant, or accidental through wire tapping.

This reader ask soompians if based on what you have known about Ajusshi, is it likely for him to run into a SECOND person who he would share his inner thought?

Ajusshi does not accept failure easily, but he failed, miserably with his matrimony.  Is he likely to go out and seek matrimony with another stranger, based on his introvert, private personality?  or would he raises formidable barriers to the entry of any other female into his private life?... unless she is some one he knows, whom he is comfortable with?  An older ajusshi cannot be taught new trick.

Lee Ji-an the waif is 22 years old, but believes she is 30,000 years old due to the great suffering in her young life, where she has to do unsavory things to survive.  She even eats people left over like a dog.  She is suspicious of people and is withdrawn because of her experience, but also because she is innately introverted.  She does not interact well with people.  She has changed some what, and now started to open up to people, socializing with coworkers and even going out to get coffee with them. 

Does that mean that she will now change her personality completely and becomes an outgoing social young woman?  Will she, like many young females, concentrate her free time in going shopping for shoes, clothes, jewelry, hairstyle,...young men?   Does her new and improved look, seems different from her old self (with pony tail, jean and shirt)?

She is pretty and shy and there will be plenty of young men who will court her won't they?

Is she likely to see young men in a good light, or not?  Will they seem fascinating, as they talk about sports, and drinks and having fun etc..... or will they seem immature (especially for a 30,000 years woman living in a 22 years old body) and frivolous?...especially after what she has gone through in life.  Will she think it is ok, if her young date, eats half of his food, then nonchalantly throw the rest away, remembering how she used to lick people's left over like a dog?... or he curses impatiently at some infirmed older person crossing the street slowly, with the traffic light turning green?  ... or the countless other interactions she could have with these young men, all the while comparing these interactions with others that she has had in the past with mature adults (men and women).

It is most probable that she will find most young men frivolous and not worthy to socialize.  Even if she becomes infatuate with one due to his look, after a while, unless he is a very serious and relatively unique young man, the infatuation will vanish.

So we are back to the beginning....   Two wounded souls were set free to roam, to heal and to seek happiness.  One definitely won't find happiness unless it is with the one person he is comfortable with.  The other may seek (and may even find a temporary mate) but ultimately will not be satisfied with most anyone... since her specifications have been set too narrow.

So two wounded but now healed souls will do their walk-about (Australian aborigines saying where young people wander the world to gain maturity) and find the outside world wanting, and probably will wander back to their root, their beginning......

@sadiesmith so to answer your question "why is a handshake a good thing?"   our logic tell us that at the end THE PAIR WILL BE AT THE BEGINNING since their standards are unacceptably stringent!

@tiger457_stv, thank you for laying everything out so logically.  There is nothing I can add to your analysis.  I will try to be satisfied like you and not demand a mile when the writer has given more than just an inch. :)

You said something a few pages back about how you'd be grumpy towards those around you if the ending did not go the way you hoped.  I remember thinking yup, that's exactly how I would be too, snappy and cranky.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jgsiu said:

The way you described the ending is just beautiful. 

It's really amazing how up until the end this drama still keeps the debate and discussion going between the shippers and non-shippers. That just shows how layered this drama really is.

Seeing the final scene from my non-romance perspective, DH's request for a handshake (physical contact) and his ear to ear smile might seem out of place and support the idea of "romance" between the two. But for me that's not the case at all. This is few years ever since their last encounter. DH has evolved to be a happier figure. You can even see a huge change in his figure of speech to his friend at the cafe. The stoic and passive DH is long gone. So him smiling this hard is actually still in character and I do think the reason of his huge smile is gratitude and excitement, because he can finally see with his own eyes that JA (who has changed his life) has finally lived happily and found comfort. That's why he said thanks. Thanks for not only changing his life but also hers for the better.

DH's second shy smile after JA offered to share a meal with him is because he can be rest assured that their bond will still continue, even after they have moved on with their lives. Imagine, if JA didn't offer to share a meal and call him, this last scene will probably be their final encounter with each other (that's why I guess he offered a hand shake, as a form of formal goodbye, coz he thought they would never meet again). I'm rooting for their precious and one of a kind relationship to go on.

It's up to the viewers to decide how far their bond will evolve in the future. As for me, I think they will stay as kindred spirits, meet from time to time, and support each other from the sidelines.

awww, me too, I so feel what you wrote.  

To add, at their lowest points, DH and JiAn lamented that they live a pitiful life, wishing to be reborn again.  They considered their current lives a lost cause.  What we see at the end is the drama refuting that their lives are wasted.  We only have one life to live.  Yet, even if we are dealt a bad hand, we, like JiAn and DH, can’t toss it away.  We can fight and win back that life.  The handshake also is congratulatory for making it, from one winner to another. They didn’t have to wait till the next life to meet. What’s better, both made their beer toast of living happily a reality.

Sure, the ending can be interpreted as a beginning for both romantically.  If they do get together, good for them.  Either way, DH is relieved that JiAn greets him warmly given her reason for going to Busan was to start anew.  In the back of DH’s mind, he must have considered that JiAn may want to forget about her painful past and perhaps him as well.  Seeing that she is learning to move on without discounting their old bond is great, no?  

PD Kim mentioned in the presscon that he is a lot like DH.  Any idea how?  His dramas often spotlight the working class neighborhood. There’s definitely a tribute to this tight community of families who have each other’s back.

Anyway, I was glad to see JiAn visiting a true coffee shop, apart from seeing her drink the powdered packets :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ccl82 said:

Tehehe. 

Meanwhile, I've been refreshing http://program.tving.com/tvn/mymister/9/Contents/Html hoping someone's drawn a big a** heart between DH JA. Lol. 

Lol! I thought they removed "romance" from the character relationship chart altogether, chingu-ya. Judging from the ongoing discussion about loveline-no loveline, I don't think they were just being paranoid.

I can't find the video right now but I think Kim Won Suk PD asked viewers to view this drama as a "human story" rather than a "love story"... To me, that sounds like it was originally intended to be a love story, but then watered down to placate anti's.

I asked earlier how you guys think of the drama's title. I think of My Ahjussi as "My Human", as in our wild cat JA calling DH her human.

• Like 7

Hi everyone.

Is anyone over this show yet? Because I'm definitely not.

I just want to compliment everyone in this thread. Over these past weeks, I've really enjoyed this group. Such great writing in this thread. Just insight, deep analysis, good writing, and VERY funny musings. Having a chance to participate in this forum really enhanced my enjoyment of this show. Thanks everyone.

--

So, here's a conversation I had tonight with a good friend and fellow K-drama addict. She looooved this show. My question, of course, was do they get together after the screen fades to black?

What she said:

"Well, Dong-Hoon is Newland Archer in Age of Innocence."

(very short summary, and I only watched the movie, didn't read the book) Newland Archer married May Welland, but fell in love with Countess Olenska who is his wife's cousin. When he decides to sleep with the Countess and leave his wife, his wife tells him that she is pregnant, and that she had already told the Countess about it earlier, which led to the Countess leaving for Europe and ending their love affair.

25 years later, after his wife had died, Newland visits the Countess with his son, but does not go up to see her, while his son does.

Anyway, the point here is that

- Newland is not the type of guy who would ever leave his pregnant wife

- And that is the person that Countess Olenska fell in love with

- If Newland did leave his pregnant wife, he will no longer be the same person Countess Olenska fell in love with

- Even 25 years later, after his wife's death, he still doesn't go up to see the Countess, because that's just the kind of person that he is, dutiful until the end

So, according to my friend, Dong-Hoon is someone who will never leave his wife, the mother of his child. And that is the person Ji-An fell in love with. If he left his wife, he would no longer be the same person she fell in love with. The last episode definitely left some strong hints that the marriage is intact. When Dong-Hoon weeps in his apartment, he is crying over having to give up Ji-An.

And I have to admit, this is a fair analysis. It honestly hurts me to admit this, but this reading of the show rang true.

--

Anyway, after our animated discussion, I asked her:

"So... what about the final meeting? At the cafe? The handshake? Newland would NOT ask for a handshake, and he would NOT say yes when she asked him out to eat. He didn't even go up to see the Countess after his wife died."

(silence)

My friend: "Okay, you win."

--

Anyway, I really gave the alternate explanation a fair shake. I think there is enough in the show to conclude that Dong-Hoon stayed with Yoon-Hee. But the Dong-Hoon we see in the final sequence is bursting with happiness when he sees Ji-An again. That cannot be denied.

Newland Archer stayed with his wife out of duty, and he wasn't happy because he couldn't be with his true love. But even after his wife died, he declined to see the Countess again when he had the chance. He is a very repressed character until the end. I don't think you can compare him to the Dong-Hoon we seen in the last scene.

Conclusion: I'm still on the ship.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lclarakl said:

@akhenaten, I love your post because it hits on something I really like about this actor, the subtle facial expressions that helps tell the story, helps paint the emotions, expressions that let us know what the actor is thinking and feeling.  

Hi @lclarakl, I haven't seen you here since before the premiere.  Did you get to watch this show and how did you like it?

1 hour ago, chickfactor said:

Anyway, I really gave the alternate explanation a fair shake. I think there is enough in the show to conclude that Dong-Hoon stayed with Yoon-Hee. But the Dong-Hoon we see in the final sequence is bursting with happiness when he sees Ji-An again. That cannot be denied.

Newland Archer stayed with his wife out of duty, and he wasn't happy because he couldn't be with his true love. But even after his wife died, he declined to see the Countess again when he had the chance. He is a very repressed character until the end.

Conclusion: I'm still on the ship.

@chickfactor, I am scratching my head trying to see why you think DH stayed with Yoon-Hee.  I definitely think there is more evidence to the contrary.  He was crying over the end of his marriage and missing Ji An and over everything else that's happened.  He was finally letting it all out as well as letting go.  And if DH stayed a repressed character till the end, this drama would be sending very mixed signals.  So no, he is not Newland Archer.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Not sure what happened but I clicked post and an old post showed up! So I have to retype everything all over again...

22 hours ago, blueyyy said:

Everything about this drama was perfect - the acting, the directing, the cinematography, the soundtrack, the message..... I could go on and on and on. It felt like a 4-leaf clover - very rare but once it is found it brings luck and happiness. 

One thing I loved was the ending - you could make what you wanted to make of it and honestly it felt like the beginning, the beginning of their new lives. The way I saw it was that DH never rejected JA feelings throughout the drama, he only ever said was 'you like me because you pity me'. Even near the end of episode 16 he asks him mum if she pitied him and I think that was what also caused his breakdown. Everything was getting too much and now with JA gone, who helped him breathe, he knew he had to make himself happy and not be pitiful anymore.

That's why I feel like the ending marks the start of DH and JA relationship in a new light - he's much more happier and content with life and JA has also became a member of society, maturing and finding her role in it. That's why I feel like when they do meet for dinner, he'll realise that JA does still like him and not because she pities him but because she genuinely likes him as she always has from the start and I think that is going to be it. I feel that DH also felt something for JA since that start but he saw it as pity or him pitying her that's why this new beginning is the start for them and I couldn't of asked for a better ending.

Love your comment about the four-leaf clover. I've been watching K dramas since 2001 and let me tell you I've never seen anything like this. Secret Love Affair was devastatingly good but I feel this is a different class altogether. I remarked sometime in episode 5 or 6 that this show is like a piece of art and oh my this has been a master class in how to write/direct a drama.

On pitying vs liking someone. It took me a long time to wrap my head around that but you're absolutely right. In fact I feel that DH used that to excuse JA's feelings for him. Oh, it's not that she really likes me. She'll realise later she was just pitying me. If he thinks of it that way, then he doesn't have to reject or respond to her.

18 hours ago, berny said:

***Sorry to cut the post.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Wow those high notes, she's getting better and better at singing too.

Hmmm.....remind me never to try sing this song at the noraebang! This sounded a bit out of her range, to be honest.

17 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Question: In the scene where DH is crying while alone and eating Ramen.... wasn't he crying for JA? Prior to this KH had asked him whether JA had contacted him, and YH has already left for the USA (divorced). I mean, eating together was their thing! JA is no longer by his side to force him to buy her a meal. He switches on the TV, goes to the engineering channel and watches a video of a house being assembled (I understood this as building a home with someone other than YH, aka JA)...... Doesn't he feel JA's absence as he is alone, making him break down?

Or maybe it was symbolic of the breakdown of his family.....But then JA offers to buy DH something delicious.... My Ahjussi!! You are still driving me crazy!!

I'M WITH YA SISTA! This scene just reminded me so much of what a writing mentor told me recently: the impact of showing a person eating alone. This scene for me was not just about his loneliness, missing family, or missing Ji An. It was about his promise to Ji An - that he would be happy and perhaps he thought he was but he finally realised he wasn't. And I do have a suspicion he did nothing after Ji An left...and would have continued doing nothing, but Yeon Hee got fed up and left him alone to figure out his life.

As for the husband and SLA. What can I say -_- Like @tiger457_stv says I guess I should take comfort. That he's SAFE! :lol:

@tiger457_stv I lost the post of yours I wanted to respond to (something about an ahjussi cannot learn new tricks), but I just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading your comments so much! You may be an engineer but you have a really sharp read of people. And a great sense of humour!

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@justamom, I believe TVN was their biggest shipper.  Didn't they themselves promote this show as an epic romance between LSK and IU?  One to rival the Goblin romance? Once it was all over, do you think they felt played and embarrassed? 

I didn't follow the pre-show news so I don't know! That's really interesting! What do you mean they felt played?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Okey. to be a honest i was firm on my stand that DH should have divorced YH (irregardless whether DH or JA will be together or not) I still am, that's why when that was not resolved in the end, i guess for me that is the chip to this almost perfect drama.

Disclaimer. I am not promoting divorce or husbands should separate from their wives (or vice versa) WITHOUT A JUST REASON.  We all know what kind of a wife YH turned out to be. We all know exactly what she did. In that episode when JY was calling it quits and was avoiding her, we all see she how pathetic and devastated she was, she was reduced to a crying mess because she wants JY, she cannot get out of bed or eat and DH even have to care of her, a wife who's longing for another man.. my gosh, can i build for him a monument now?? 

Okey just to pacify their audience WHO CLEARLY SUPPORTS THE CHEATING WIFE ( i wonder whose values are misplaced now, theirs or YH?) like yeah he must still choose her because she is the wife, blah blah blah... is like making a statement THAT HELL YEAH, COMMITTING AN ADULTERY is just fine with us, coming from a society that is soooo judgmental and "righteous" . And for the drama production to let themselves be bullied by audience such as that is really lamentable and disappointing.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2