[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

13 hours ago, justamom said:

Chingus! Soompians! So many, many thought provoking comments over the day from @40somethingahjumma, @anipanch @timidjock0819, @africandramalover @brose_stv @tiger457_stv and more! I will come back and savour them over and over again in the next few days. 

I really want to write another really long essay because all of your reviews have given me so much to think about (and possibly a short fan fic too!). But it'll have to be piecemeal for now because I'm going on a weekend trip with the family and more importantly, I just watched #16 again with the husband! And he has a completely different view from me even though we watched the same damn thing! I'm starting to wonder if I married the wrong man! 

Around episodes #13/14, he commented that this was such a touching story, their love for each other was so deep.. etc so I asked him, how do you think it will end? That's when he made the passing stars in the night comment (which turned out to be true) but he also said "she's infatuated. and he's just a father figure to her." After watching #16, he gloated. "It's just as I expected."

Me: "What about that longing gaze?"

Him: "You're imagining things. It's the contented smile of a father figure knowing his young friend is doing well."

Me: "What about that moment when he broke down?"

Him: "He misses his wife?"

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

I almost threw the pillow at him! But I held my emotions in check and asked him what he meant. He said he hasn't had a moment in the show where he felt that Dong Hoon had romantic (ie longing, lust) feelings for her. I'll admit I never thought their attraction was sexual on his part, I just thought it was a very deep need to have her back by his side. And that, to me, is the deepest sort of love. 

Soompians, I need some comforting! Did I marry the wrong guy?? :fearful:

P/S Let me just add. He was completely bored by Secret Love Affair, my all time favourite drama next to My Ahjussi

@justamom  

Last answer to your question:  At least your husband like 1/2 of your favorite drama (My Ajusshi). 

First answer to you question:  Yes you married the right guy!  Let us analyze this.  the fact that your husband can watch this very romantic but restrained drama, and see a deep father-daughter relation means that he is a man with principle, who tends to see thing properly, and definitely he would not even know if a female colleague of his flirts with him.

He is SAFE... what more can you ask for????!!!!

the alternative explanation, is that seeing Justamon being so addicted to the show, your husband just tease you by pretending to misinterprete everything!

• LOL 15

I just started watching this drama and I felt guilty I didn't watch it as soon as it premiered. It has this Misaeng vibes that make me want for more. Congrats by the way to the production team for acing the viewership in spite of the earlier controversies! (https://www.kdramapal.com/my-ajusshi-achieves-high-viewership-amid-controversy/)

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, aisling said:

Dramabeans recap for episode 15 is up!

My Ahjussi: Episode 15

Well, have to agree with the recapper on this one:

“I said before that this is not a romance story, but it’s most certainly a love story between Dong-hoon and Ji-an. It’s just not a love story in which the people involved are meant to share a life — it’s the kind of love story where their love is so pure and real that they genuinely just want each other to live happy lives, whatever that means. It doesn’t mean that they “fall in love” and get married and have a family, that’s much too simple for these two. They just want to make the other’s life better however they can. For Ji-an that means seeing Dong-hoon in the job he deserves, with the life partner he deserves. And for Dong-hoon, it means helping Ji-an move beyond her past and being seen and loved by others for who she is now, not what she did once before.”

Finally! she called the relationship a love story of Dong Hoon and Jian. It took Dramabeans long enough like 14-15 episodes too late! Looking back, I think the show needed to prioritize between two paths in the story. The healing aspect vs. the subtle love story. I understand why the writer/PD decided to focus more on the healing process of DH and Jian because severely broken people despite their love for each other cannot have a healthy relationship. It became the goal of the show to focus more on the healing journey of all the characters so the romantic gestures need to be subtle because that was not the primary focus of the show.  

• Like 16

2 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

P.S.: I'm curious - How do you guys interpret the show's title? Looking back, why couldn't they have just named it "Ahjussi"? I don't think it's merely because there's a movie with the same name. For instance, there are dozens of shows with the same title as my drama love, First Love (the 1996 drama).

From JA's point of view + considering the ending = My Man, Park Dong-hoon.

Looking at the relationships all characters have with DH: Our man/ that man, Park Dong-hoon. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I'll do it. Can you provide me the link?

Aww... thank you so much.  I am not sure if this is it or if there is another clip.  LSK's part starts at 4:03, but feel free to translate anything interesting. :-)

• Like 5

12 hours ago, justamom said:

- Dong Hoon's protectiveness throughout the funeral. Chiding his hoobaes and Hugye bros for joking around (and presumably disturbing Ji An). And the moment when Manager Song said he wanted to hug Ji An. @Alex Dooley can you pretty please do a gif of Dong Hoon's side eye then?

For me, the breakdown was not only about his realisation of the sham he had thought was the perfect life -- the directorship, the marriage -- but also because he remembered his promise to Ji An that he would be happy. But he's right back to where he was when they first met. Only then does he realise he must change his life completely.

(sorry for cutting your post)

I noticed Dong Hoon's side eye then, too.  Cute!  May I add my request of the same? (gif)

I really, really like how you summarized the breakdown.  It wasn't simply his thinking of Ji An, her hard life, and his missing her (as I may have mentioned was my original thought).  He kept looking at his family picture when he started to breakdown.

And regarding husbands who seem to miss the point, remember...men are from Mars and women are from Venus.  lol

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

12 hours ago, anipanch said:

P.S. Let's go easy on our precious DH, he endured so many hardships. Man literally experienced real love for a woman in his 40s and with a 21 years old at that. Of course he would freak out and try to get away. It's not easy to accept something so deep and important when you spend 43 years living such a dull life. 

Ah, but remember?  She is 30,000 years old - a good 29,960+ his senior.  Because of him, she has stopped aging at such an alarming rate. 

But seriously, because of her very difficult life, she's been an adult a lot longer than those her age, so it could be said that they're about even.

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

On locations...

-- This may just be me reading too much into this, but if I'm not mistaken, the last two subway scenes were of DH alone. 1) On his way to his brothers' place, after which he told them she helps him breathe [epi 13] 2) On his way to the bar, during which he texted JA to tell her he got promoted [epi 14]. From then onwards, we no longer see him/ them underground. I read this as his feelings for her have surfaced. Ok yeah, he's supposed to have a driver at this point, but err, where is this driver anyway? DH is constantly shown walking/ taking a cab/ driving. 

-- I find it interesting for DH and JA to continuously meet at his friend's restaurant. This guy who was cheated on, and who divorced his wife. And how they moved from the counter (first time), to a more romantic set-up (second time right in the middle of the restaurant, then slowly to the corner). Notice when there are other customers, they come in pairs? Is this a dating spot?

-- The ending: wide, open, sunny. Good, fuzzy feelings from both parties are out in the open. Plain for all to see. 

On gazes...

-- Try as a I might, I just really don't understand how people interpret the way he looks at her as non-romantic. I'm pretty sure LSK is a good actor, and was able to express the right emotion through his eyes according to the script. 

If there's no romance whatsoever between DH & JA, surely the director would call out LSK on his 'bad' acting skills, no?

"Dammit SK, I said look at her like she's your mentee/ daughter! Stop looking at her like you wanna kiss her! I said stahpppp ittttt!"

Question...

- How come the passenger always sits at the back, even though there's no one else in the car? Is this a Korean etiquette?

• Like 12
  • LOL 9
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

On-screen Text:

People who endure the weight of life

This is the story about how through each other they find the meaning of life and heal each other

With each character drawn distinctly

Performances full of the scent of humanity

With its palpable brightness

It received such hot love from the viewers

My adult, my ahjussi…

Goodbye My Ahjussi

Oh Na-Ra (Jung-Hee): When you’re feeling tired and having difficulties, please think of “Jung-Hee’s” in Hoo-Gye-dong and Jung-Hee will comfort you and welcome you with her hearty laughter. I know you will miss us a lot.

Na-Ra (Yu-Ra): It was a truly an enjoyable and fun shoot. I am so grateful to the viewers, please always be healthy and happy. Thank you.

Kim Young-Min (Do Joon-Young): You hated Do Joon-Young, and the more you hated him, the more the other actors shined. As an actor, I felt very fulfilled. As “My Ahjussi” was the project of their lifetimes for others, I too, will never forget it. Let’s be happy. Please be happy, everyone.

Son Sook (Bong-Ae): My character was hearing-impaired, so it was a very difficult role. But it was a very special experience. Thank you everyone for watching until the end.

Lee Ji-Ah (Kang Yoon-Hee): It was a very difficult role, and I had difficulties with it, emotionally. So saying good-bye to Yoon-Hee, to be honest, is that not sad for me. Not seeing the actors and the staff and the director of “My Ahjussi,” that is the saddest and most difficult part.

Song Sae-Byuk (Park Ki-Hoon): The Ki-Hoon character, as the youngest of the three brothers, I developed so much affection for him. I can’t quite believe that it’s over. Please remember our drama for a long time. “My Ahjussi,” fighting.

Park Ho-San (Park Sang-Hoon): They say when a drama is finished, it feels refreshing and sad at the same time. I don’t know about feeling refreshed, I just feel very sad. But since the drama has been released, every time I feel this way, I will watch it again. Thank you to everyone, and good-bye Sang-Hoon.

(IU gets flowers when the shoot wraps.)

Lee Ji-Eun (Lee Ji-An): There is a line in the final episode that says, “This is the first time I embraced myself and cried.” I am already worried, wondering if I can ever find another character like this, who I can really embrace. For the many viewers who loved “My Ahjussi,” and everyone who cheered Ji-An on, I was so grateful. Sincerely, I am very grateful.

Lee Sun-Kyun (Park Dong-Hoon): Until this morning, it didn’t sink in. I was traveling to Ga-Pyung to shoot our final scene, listening to the OST, and tears came to my eyes. I realized that I was very immersed, that this has affected me a lot, and that I really loved this team. I hope that from now on, the many Lee Ji-An’s and Park Dong-Hoon’s in the world can communicate, comfort each other, and cheer each other on, I hope our society becomes more like that. Thank you.

Text: Thank you to the viewers who loved us.

:heart::heart::bawling::bawling::bawling:  Thank you sooo much!  And why am I crying just reading these words?

Amazing!  Even the actors themselves seemed to be as affected as the viewers.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I truly agree with LJE, that LSK is her "best partner" ( though i am quite sure a previous co-actor of her will sulk on this statement... whahha).:tongue:

Anyway it is very, very rare to have a pairing as charismatic, exciting, and beautiful such as this.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, berny said:

I truly agree with LJE, that LSK is her "best partner" ( though i am quite sure a previous co-actor of her will sulk on this statement... whahha).:tongue:

Anyway it is very, very rare to have a pairing as charismatic, exciting, and beautiful such as this.

When and where did IU say this about LSK?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ccl82 said:

On gazes...

-- Try as a I might, I just really don't understand how people interpret the way he looks at her as non-romantic. I'm pretty sure LSK is a good actor, and was able to express the right emotion through his eyes according to the script. 

If there's no romance whatsoever between DH & JA, surely the director would call out LSK on his 'bad' acting skills, no?

"Dammit SK, I said look at her like she's your mentee/ daughter! Stop looking at her like you wanna kiss her! I said stahpppp ittttt!"

hahaha.... I have been reading postings on Tumblr and one of the funniest tags was #you are doing platonic all wrong

• Like 5
  • LOL 12

Finally got around to watching the last two episodes; oh boy, this has been a ride! There is so, so much for me to talk about (and rave over) but I'm too sapped of energy to consolidate my thoughts right now. Maybe I'll do it sometime later, when these post-drama celebrations are over and everyone is long gone, huh. It already hurts me to see how this thread's tag is now 'Drama 2018' instead of 'Current Drama 2018' :(

I do wonder how much the director's cut will deviate from the sixteen episodes which have been broadcast though. I feel like what we've been presented with is pretty much perfect, save for certain minor gaps which really should not matter that much.

(The 'My Mister' official video playlists have been duly updated; in particular, the official MV for the beautiful OST Part 2 has been added. It's unclear if tvN will upload new material in the long term...)

@sadiesmith 

Here you go, this is a thanking message for the staff and crew of MA, and IU refers to LSK as her best partner :wub:

On another note, can we talk about how DH was the first to see JA's face after the time skip? and only after him we got to see new JA. II wonder if the director put some kind of idea behind it. Pretty much everything was symbolised in MA, so I wouldn't be surprosed if the camera choice meant something. Any thoughts about it?

Another topic I want to point out is the interrogation scene with JA and JY. We don't talk much about it. I loved how JA instantly got into a defense mode and was repulsed by the idea that someone was looking down on her feelings for DH. She is very sincere and it is yet another declaration of love from her side. This for me, is another proof that JA doesn't actually like DH with hero worship as some of you here pointed out. JA actually sees DH as a man and that's where we can say that it's not a hero worship, because such thing is not about gender. JA gets angry at the thought that her relationship with DH gets compared to JY and YH by JY. "how could you do it to a man  like Ahjussi?" - yes for JA DH is a man, who taught her to love and made her feel loved.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1