[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

52 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

@chickfactor, I am scratching my head trying to see why you think DH stayed with Yoon-Hee.  I definitely think there is more evidence to the contrary.  He was crying over the end of his marriage and missing Ji An and over everything else that's happened.  He was finally letting it all out as well as letting go.  And if DH stayed a repressed character till the end, this drama would be sending very mixed signals.  So no, he is not Newland Archer.

I didn't say that. I just said there was enough in the show to conclude that. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

7 minutes ago, berny said:

Okey. to be a honest i was firm on my stand that DH should have divorced YH (irregardless whether DH or JA will be together or not) I still am, that's why when that was not resolved in the end, i guess for me that is the chip to this almost perfect drama.

Disclaimer. I am not promoting divorce or husbands should separate from their wives (or vice versa) WITHOUT A JUST REASON.  We all know what kind of a wife YH turned out to be. We all know exactly what she did. In that episode when JY was calling it quits and was avoiding her, we all see she how pathetic and devastated she was, she was reduced to a crying mess because she wants JY, she cannot get out of bed or eat and DH even have to care of her, a wife who's longing for another man.. my gosh, can i build for him a monument now?? 

Okey just to pacify their audience WHO CLEARLY SUPPORTS THE CHEATING WIFE ( i wonder whose values are misplaced now, theirs or YH?) like yeah he must still choose him because she is the wife, blah blah blah... is like making a statement THAT HELL YEAH, COMMITTING AN ADULTERY is just fine with us, coming from a society that is soooo judgmental and "righteous" . And for the drama production to let themselves be bullied by audience such as that is really lamentable and disappointing.

I think they did leave it ambiguous, and it was frustrating, but I think it only makes sense to evaluate the show as a whole.

It actually doesn't matter what Dong-Hoon thinks, because I thought it was very clear for a long time that Yoon-Hee wanted out of this marriage. Sure, they've supported each other through this ordeal, but that doesn't mean any of their problems are solved. Yoon-Hee doesn't want the life that she lived with Dong-Hoon, and she doesn't want to stay in Hoo-Gye-dong. I don't think that has changed.

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I didn't say that. I just said there was enough in the show to conclude that. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

Ah, based on the post noor shared from MDL [my wife vs my kid's mom, and possibly that's the closest word Koreans would use for an ex-wife and also those photographs on  his new desk which only had the kid and yoon hee, not like a family photo of all 3], and actually since we heard that divorced guy saying, how once you have to confront your wife who had an affair, it's only a  course of time till you realize that you want to get divorced, either in 2 /5/10 years. I think that was also included for a reason. I don't know, to me, it felt like there was enough in the show to conclude that they have separated. I don't know about divorce :S. Even in the last episode yoon hee says she had a thousand reasons for cheating on him, so she did have complains against him regarding how their life wasn't at the status that she wanted to be in. 

I saw the ending as a new beginning for both ji an and dong hoon, and since yoon hee isn't in the picture anymore, that's how it's supposed to be in the future, it's like the little glimpse of their future lives that the writer showed us here. That's how I feel. :/

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

On 5/18/2018 at 10:50 AM, africandramalover said:

I felt like the closing statement was direct from the writer, even if it was attributed to the Loans Gangster....

"You are all decent people.May you hang in there till you find comfort for yourselves. I was once in the same situation as you. I will help you as if we were family."

I think there are actually two parts here. The first part could be from the writer to the viewers: "You are all decent people.May you hang in there till you find comfort for yourselves".

The second part ("I was once...") is clearly the mission statement from Yeongkwang Loans. You can see it on the wall here (start of E02):

Mvrhykr.jpg

The Korean text is

저 도 한때는 당신과 같은 처지였습니다.
가족 같은 마음으로 돕겠습니다.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, justamom said:

Oh it's just someone from TVN who ships them as much as some of us Soompians. Whoever's in charge of their Twitter account... :wink: but to me seems to confirm that they watered down the romance. It's still there, but super subtle

I think they did have to tone it down. I think that in the original plan, the healing story was still the main story, but JA and DH were to be explicitly shown as getting together. I don't mean that they'd have had a bed scene, but it was definitely going to be much less ambiguous of an ending than we got.....<_<

I wrote this after the first two episodes....

On 23/03/2018 at 5:55 PM, africandramalover said:

I have to say this, after reading all the opinions online..... what's the big deal if the two leads have a loveline? I don't see any problem! If it works in the story, why not! It's just a drama.

Even the production are falling over themselves to reassure everyone that there's no loveline, to the extent of changing the character chart..... 

We're all adults here.

I would be THRILLED if there was a loveline!! .

Yesterday, as I ruminated over the drama, I thought to myself, what if they'd gotten together? What if there was a kiss? How would that kiss have looked like?

I swear, that would have been the hottest KISS in dramaland!!!! I picture it and my eyes tear up!

All the tension I am feeling would have been resolved in that scene!:D But I can only dream......

Since we got a handshake, lemme give my analysis of what it meant to me.

I come from a part ofthe world where a handshake is a very important part of life. Handshakes are firm, long, and accompanied with the greeting and inquiries about the life of the shakers. E.g.. hello? How are you doing? How've you been? It's been such a long time since I saw you! (Even if it was three weeks ago). How are your parents doing? How's your sister/brother/siblings doing? How's work?

And on and on. You get the drift.

A handshake allows people to catch up even before they start discussing the real issues... I noticed that these long handshakes and personal inquiries are very African,  especially since I have been able to travel all over the world....

In contrast, I notice how the main mode of greetings in Korea is the head bow. 

Therefore, it struck me that DH asked for a handshake, and held her hand in the shake for as long as they did.

Someone who understands Korea can clarify what such a long handshake would mean in Korea....

To me it looked like, I missed you, I'm so glad to see You!

The amount of time it lingered said to me that these people will have to get together. Even if not that day. Someday. 

:huh:

Edit: @justamom and everyone else.... have you watched one of  LSKs first dramas called Behind The White Tower? It was one of the first dramas I ever watched. It was also directed by our Ahn Pan Seok....

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, anipanch said:

omgggg they are so cuuuuuuute :bawling: @mylovelystar please provide all the videos like these when you find them, thank you so much

Will try.  I’m only seeing excerpts of the original video on Twitter at the moment. 

Cjndrama still tweeting about My Mister

• Like 12

11 hours ago, akhenaten said:

@justamom ah that explains the skill.  And the way he is able to use his whole body to act.  There are times he merely acts with his eyes, a slight twitch of his eyebrow, or a slight smile.  And most of the time, he just acts with the sound of his breathing or his voicenor his footsteps (which Ji An loved :) ).  No wonder the director had a lot of scenes where the camera was focused on his face and there are no other background sounds with him in it, except for the incidental ones like the train engine or people talking in the street.  PD was maximizing his lead actor’s skill in highly nuanced acting. 

It was very fortunate that he was LJE’s partner here.  Not to downplay her innate talent because she has it but admittedly she still has a long way to go.  So it really did help that she worked with someone like LSK who’s highly talented and skilled.  Whatever flak she may have gotten from naysayers of her previous acting projects are probably stewing in their little corners now.  She was brilliant as Ji An.  

I’m sure many years from now, their characters in My Mister will go down in KDrama history as their most iconic roles. :)

Maybe LJE should consider following in her sunbae-nim’s footsteps and go into theater too. :)

It was likely one of the reasons why Lee Jieun was willing to sign up for this role despite the ridiculous controversies made by her haters and her own immature fans late last year. The combination of Lee Sun Gyun, Kim Won Suk, and script pen by Park Hae Young was a sure winner. She could not turn down this opportunity because that would be crazy. Plus the fact Kim Won Suk personally sought out LJE and offered her the role of Jian. 

I think LSG really made her focus and take her craft in a whole different level. As one of the actors said in that interview, LJE  never broke character even when the cameras were not on. The immaturity of the controversies last year was partly looking down on LSG because he was not the "typical pretty boy oppa" and it focused more on his age gap with LJE. If anything, My Ajusshi brought to light another double standard in Kdrama land that despite your tremendous talent as an actor if you don't fit the conventional k drama pretty boy (like Gong Yoo, Jo In Sung), you might as well be type casted for a role fitting of an older man. If you are not a pretty boy Ajusshi, then forget about having a love line with a much younger actress because the  k-drama feminazis would revolt. I am wondering now if Mr Sunshine will undergo the same water down neutered version of a love story because the age gap of Lee Byung Hyun and Kim Taeri is even wider than our MA couple. 

Those same immature fans are already stewing in their little corners, in fact I saw a lot of tweets apologizing to LJE for misjudging:rolleyes: about her decision to take on the role in My Ajusshi. I think those apologies should also be extended to LSG as well because the controversies really affected him personally. However, he still continued to strive and accepted those criticisms gracefully. LSG even gave a warm and relax working environment to LJE judging from their interactions behind the scenes. A selfless actor and a gentleman until the very end. It makes me teary eyed thinking about it:(

The only way for a young actress to learn and grow is work with sunbaenim actors like LSG. I wonder what those immature IU fans are going to do if she will be paired next with other veteran male actors half her age. Is this going to be their thing now where they will create another controversial protest harassing IU in social media if they happen not to agree with her drama role choices? Pls people grow up and learn to respect because surely IU was showing so much respect for her leading man in My Ajusshi.

LJE commenting about LSG being her "best partner" was more like  a stab in the heart directed at those haters and immature fans. Aside from their explosive chemistry and sexual tension than can melt a steel bar, she is also defending and taking his side. The inevitable conclusion is LJE will refuse to go in romantic roles anymore after getting a taste of her versatile performance in My Ajusshi. She will probably follow the same path as her LSG sunbaenim and going after versatile characters. LJE will likely stay in cable like TVN and JTBC since all of her projects were successful on both networks. The pretty girl naive roles don't suit her anymore and she will likely avoid that in the future. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I have a question: So DH has a separate business (just like YH wanted); he has a new personality too (just like YH wanted him to be, alive and all - ‘look at how other men your age live’); And DH is not shown in JH's bar after one year time leap (so maybe he doesn't go there that frequently?); And her pictures with their son are there on his office desk. So whose to say that YH and DH will not get back together after she returns and sees this new and changed and improved DH?

Trust me, I'm not thrilled over the idea. But just checking what everyone here thinks. He was happy and proud to see Ji-An, thrilled with the meal invitation and relieved that she was back in town BUT he has done everything that his wife said she wanted to change about him! (and that crying-in-apartment scene was about marriage breakdown and overall catharsis at being left alone). So what's the future? 

• Like 5

after watching episode 16 for the 1.7 time this reader realizes that we are all wrong.  The time jump is not one year, but significantly longer (from 2 to 4 years, most likely 3 years).  Clues:  It takes time to be successful.  the Scene where youngest brother Kee Hoon said goodbye to actress girlfriend took a whole year (we say summer, rain season then snow then back to spring.  so that is 1 year gone.  Next scene is the brother cleaner driving by a billboard with actress on it...  to do well in that industry probably requires several successful projects, not a one time deal.   So years have to go by for that to be true.

Likewise, for an engineer to leave his company then set up his own, AND be successful cannot take 1 year.  it is impossible!

First one has to move, then open shop, then look for client.  To get busy with enough clients as can be seen at the end, they would need at least 2 years, probably 3 to 4.  Note the number of engineers he has working in his company... there are even a few females engineers we haven't seen before.  One cannot support so many employees without having adequate businesses.  In Korea, business depends on relations and relations are not built overnight.

That is why, the surprise when THE PAIR met was even more precious... they did not expect to run into each other after so much time has gone by, and did not expect to  find each others essentially the same (same clothes, same look) except for their demeanors which is more relaxed and happy.

That is the reason for the hesitation at the beginning (ji-an wonders if Ajusshi still remembers her with affection?  Ajusshi wonders if Ji-an still like him?).

Conservative straight lace Engineer Dong Hoon likes women who are simple and direct...  Overdressed over painted women would turn him off. Ajusshi likes things he is accustomed to.... (wonder if he still wear the slippers?)....  Finding Ji-an almost exactly as he remembered her makes him so happy so he smiled broadly.

This probable 3-4 years jump probably came as a shock to Ji-an hence her shyness.  She has always been timid to begin with... and she initially did not know what to say, feeling awkward.  Beside Ajusshi is essentially the same... some thing she never expected.

the third clue is the age of the actress Lee Ji-eun... (can't think of her as anyone other than Lee Ji-an) which is 25 years old.   Korean often cast their actors near the age of the characters so as to not get criticism from the audience for mismatch casting.

The fourth clues to the time jump length are in the photos of the wife/child.  the child seems older (this reader thought he was 11 at the start and the child's photo could fit for 13-15 years old) and the photo shows that they are living somewhere else.  So the last unsaid scene is probably 3 to 4 years later.

If that is the case, and THE PAIR  stays essentially the same during 3-4 years, what is going to happen?

Are they going to renew their outwardly unusual relation???   you decide.

If other soompians have any thoughts on this matter,  please post it.

PS:  That man ajusshi was talking to is probably an acquaintance and not his worker... he probably was talking casual business when Ji-an shows up, which makes things even more awkward when he excused himself to talk to Ji-an.  he normally hangs out with his musketeers or the Gang.

That writer is very clever, making a scene like this with a time crunch in front of witnesses, so that she can leave the end semi-open.

• Like 14

33 minutes ago, noor1 said:

BUT he has done everything that his wife said she wanted to change about him! (and that crying-in-apartment scene was about marriage breakdown and overall catharsis at being left alone

IMO he started a new business , running his new office with hoobaes from the old office, ( I'm guessing those 4 engineers who used to work with him.), NOT because Yoon hee wanted him to, rather cause that's where his passion lies. Working in architectural field, designing and  analyzing the structures of buildings, which he loved doing the most in his old office. I remember how he used to pass the design office each day while going to his cubicle. That's where he always wanted to be.

Although he became a director, I remember he came back to sit with his colleagues in the old office. Like he said before, managing office or doing poitics in the company, isn't his comfort zone. His job is to ensure the strength and durability of buildings, so I get where he's coming from. So to me it seems like 'being Happy', that he promised Ji An he will be one,  that was his first step. Stepping out from that place which made his life miserable and starting a new journey altogether. He is doing it for himself, not Yoon hee. Ahjussi is finally being selfish.

Yoon hee's picture is with their son and I assumed the son is at the center of attention here. He still is in amicable terms with yoon hee , therefore she is in the picture. Like before it's not a group photo. He isn't there in the picture.

I see that crying scene as a catharsis for the eventful few weeks. A lot of things happened in his life in past few months, and it's a given he would feel overwhelmed. That he would break down. Now with Yoon hee's departure I would assume he's sad and relieved at the same time that he doesn't have to think about that painful incident anymore but also he would have to start all over again. Take a new direction. I feel like these tears are the ones we shed when we are getting over something. Like after a break up. I don't see it as a bad thing. And I guess ji an has been in his mind too. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

Lol! I thought they removed "romance" from the character relationship chart altogether, chingu-ya. Judging from the ongoing discussion about loveline-no loveline, I don't think they were just being paranoid.

I can't find the video right now but I think Kim Won Suk PD asked viewers to view this drama as a "human story" rather than a "love story"... To me, that sounds like it was originally intended to be a love story, but then watered down to placate anti's.

I asked earlier how you guys think of the drama's title. I think of My Ahjussi as "My Human", as in our wild cat JA calling DH her human.

Sounds just about right, that he's her human.

Oh wait, about the character chart, reading @africandramalover's comment above... Are y'all saying the 'affection' lines were removed way earlier? I thought they removed it recently, at the peak of the show!

All this debate about human story (non-romantic) vs love story (romantic).. I'm confident of how things turn out for these two lovebirds, but I do wish that the team behind MA practice what they preach. 

None of this is a big deal (that a whole lotta people cannot take a love story between a 40-something yo ahjussi and 21yo woman)

Be shameless and focus on yourself your story. You're allowed to do that. 

I also find it weird that so many are bothered by the age gap, when if there's anything to get all hissy about is the fact that a married man is choosing to spend his free time unloading his deep inner thoughts and feelings to a woman who's not his wife. 

@anipanch OMG, you're right. Thanks for pointing THIS out: 

The hints that he doesn't see JA as a daughter or whatever other statuses some people stuck to JA was given to us even in the first episode. For DH, JA was a woman and a beautiful one at that. He is embarrassed to have a meal with her, because what will people see when they see a married man with a young beautiful girl? If he saw JA merely as a child, I don't think he would be bothered, thinking "oh people will just think that I'm having a dinner with my daughter/niece, there's nothing suspicious about us".

Also love your breakdown of DH & JA final encounter. OH THE FEELS. 

@chickfactor Park Dong-hoon ain't no Newland Archer. Park Dong-hoon is just Park Dong-hoon :blush:

@mylovelystar The video of them blowing the candles... I DIED. Just gonna imagine this is real-life DH & JA on their wedding day. Ok thanks bye. 

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

[instiz] CELEBRITIES WHO CONFIRMED THAT THEY ARE WATCHING 'MY AHJUSSI'

Yoo Byungjae
9abe49f2761e48374a2725d33e964439.jpg

Lee Junki
c0967cc5b18f8cde7dcc21928ae70435.jpg

Sung Yuri
ba6ea8e6b2d9f0b212479a757274830b.jpg

Park Solmi
47fdf4999006c01e7876f27c763a24f7.jpg

Kang Hanna
ac6d54ee018815fc551540b9b6c2eaff.jpg

Park Hwanhee
f08b4b871dd88c98cd778e062e560969.jpg

Kim Sungwoong
710fdad0acec3296f5cd7a9a954979ee.jpg

Jo Jinwoong
8e1a951a597afb627c01827d122518d3.jpg

Hong Jonghyun
d78d3f4dac7d7ea0f7997462a72e3d5c.jpg

Um Jiwon
64e9ef9070abe19386a6c53550eb0feb.jpg

post response: +8
original post: here

1. The Moon Lovers' actors are watching it hihi

2. Seriously, this is my lifetime drama. It was perfect up to the last episode

3. Seriously, it stayed perfect until the end. I kept going back to rewatch the last episodeㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ it's such a shame that it ended... I really wanted them to prolong this drama

4. This drama really comforted me a lot... it's ok, it's nothing big.. it was so good

5. This was my lifetime drama too...
https://pann-choa.blogspot.com/2018/05/instiz-random-stuffs-found-on-instiz.html

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ccl82 said:

Sounds just about right, that he's her human.

Oh wait, about the character chart, reading @africandramalover's comment above... Are y'all saying the 'affection' lines were removed way earlier? I thought they removed it recently, at the peak of the show!

All this debate about human story (non-romantic) vs love story (romantic).. I'm confident of how things turn out for these two lovebirds, but I do wish that the team behind MA practice what they preach. 

None of this is a big deal (that a whole lotta people cannot take a love story between a 40-something yo ahjussi and 21yo woman)

Be shameless and focus on yourself your story. You're allowed to do that. 

I also find it weird that so many are bothered by the age gap, when if there's anything to get all hissy about is the fact that a married man is choosing to spend his free time unloading his deep inner thoughts and feelings to a woman who's not his wife. 

@anipanch OMG, you're right. Thanks for pointing THIS out: 

The hints that he doesn't see JA as a daughter or whatever other statuses some people stuck to JA was given to us even in the first episode. For DH, JA was a woman and a beautiful one at that. He is embarrassed to have a meal with her, because what will people see when they see a married man with a young beautiful girl? If he saw JA merely as a child, I don't think he would be bothered, thinking "oh people will just think that I'm having a dinner with my daughter/niece, there's nothing suspicious about us".

Also love your breakdown of DH & JA final encounter. OH THE FEELS. 

@chickfactor Park Dong-hoon ain't no Newland Archer. Park Dong-hoon is just Park Dong-hoon :blush:

@mylovelystar The video of them blowing the candles... I DIED. Just gonna imagine this is real-life DH & JA on their wedding day. Ok thanks bye. 

"I also find it weird that so many are bothered by the age gap, when if there's anything to get all hissy about is the fact that a married man is choosing to spend his free time unloading his deep inner thoughts and feelings to a woman who's not his wife."

i'm not married, but is the above okay for you wives? Is it only wrong when the two kiss, or have sexual relations? Was it because  it is devoid of those things, why it became such a fatherly/friendly act in some peoples minds?

I don't know, maybe i'm too simple minded.

For me there is so much evidence of it being planted in the viewers minds, of a not so innocent relationship between the two, that it really boggles my mind how people end up with only friendship/fatherly relationship after the whole shebang.

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, noor1 said:

I have a question: So DH has a separate business (just like YH wanted); he has a new personality too (just like YH wanted him to be, alive and all - ‘look at how other men your age live’); And DH is not shown in JH's bar after one year time leap (so maybe he doesn't go there that frequently?); And her pictures with their son are there on his office desk. So whose to say that YH and DH will not get back together after she returns and sees this new and changed and improved DH?

Trust me, I'm not thrilled over the idea. But just checking what everyone here thinks. He was happy and proud to see Ji-An, thrilled with the meal invitation and relieved that she was back in town BUT he has done everything that his wife said she wanted to change about him! (and that crying-in-apartment scene was about marriage breakdown and overall catharsis at being left alone). So what's the future? 

Don't forget that JA too suggested he opened his own business, without resorting to bashing him (can't really recall what YH said over coffee, but it was demeaning) 

I would say JA wanting him to be truly happy trumps  YH asking him to "look how other men your age live" (not staying out drinking with childhood friends, being 'successful', etc.)

JA wants what's best for DH; YH compares him to other men. 

@tiger457_stv  I don't think this is more than 1 year.

• Two men (chairman & DH) can't possibly still be talking about a former office temp 3 years on. 
  • YR may likely get the billboard spots on account of her successful comeback 
  • As for DH, he's already got connections via Saman E&C + his own neighbourhood pals who would recommend his business. Remember what JA said that night he checked the restaurant owner's building? Plus, his office didn't even look that big, and a few employees could very well be interns. Interns are cheap. LOL. Plus plus, it seems he's very hands-on, implying the start of the business, where CEOs actually take calls :grin:
  • The son was 12 when the show started, as per tving. If he seemed older in the photos, I would put it down to puberty
  • The report JA handed to her boss was of the 3rd and 4th quarter. K I dunno what that means, just throwing this out there. 

Just for fun: "A ghost has risen again. Huh? Where did it go? Huh? This is an expression that says you're quite taken aback." :heart:

• Like 15