[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

51 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I interpreted that sequence this way: she's living a great life, a life she's never known, a fun and fulfilling life for a woman in her early 20s. Good job, friends, working as a sign language teacher, too... but her life is not full until she sees HIM again. That is why we don't see her face until that moment.

They needed this year-long break. Ji-An did need to get away, free for the first time in her life, and enjoy life on her own. She has never known this kind of carefree, normal life. She needed this time to herself. Maybe after being by herself for a while, she can figure out what she really wants.

When they see each other again, he looks absolutely thunderstruck. They begin their conversation catching up, "so where do you work now?" Etc.

Then he asks to shake hands. When they shook their hands, it really was electric. He looks into her eyes and says, "Thank you." Thank you for what? Everything she's done for him, for being happy and healthy, for staying strong and growing up, for being here right now.

Everything they've felt for each other before is still there, still the same. She immediately lowers her voice slightly and becomes the Ji-An she used to be. She offers to buy him something to eat. He grins, very chuffed, just like when she told him what a great person he is.

*siiiigh*

I think it was more than that time. Then, It was still restrained, he didn't let himself completely give in to his emotions yet. Now, he was overwhelmed by his happiness, joy, emotions. He appears now completely free, unrestrained, as a little boy getting his most precious and anticipated toy. For a second I thought he was out of character lol. But no, he is in character, only he is now free to love and to be loved. 

• Like 11

First of all I want to say that this was an amazing show - one of my all time favorite TV show. That said, the ending mainly the part after the time skip was a huge disappointment to me. I really shipped them together and hoped we would see something more but alas the way DH acted in that final scene was just a friend greeting another warmly (in my opinion, I know other folks feel differently). While I can imagine the possibility that they might go out and get together - I'm just tired of imagining things. I can understand why the writers kept the ambiguity - shippers will use their imagination and non shippers will have absolutely nothing to complain about so win-win. Anyway at this point I'm convinced that he just felt friendship all along... So be it, I wish that they had at least showed us a day of DH's life after the time skip - I don't really care if he became a CEO or the President, I'm more curious about who he drinks with at night and whether he's opened up to people more. In spite of my disappointment,  I still rate this show extremely highly, its just that, as someone who has seen episodes 3-12 multiple times during the break - I don't think I can ever re-watch this show again after seeing that ending. Alright, I just wanted to get my thoughts out since I really enjoyed reading all of yours. With that I am going to take the show's moral to heart and go - you can't always get what you want, just move on and be happy. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, aisling said:

My question went unanswered... So I ask again: does anybody know what Ji An meant by “If I stay here, he won’t be coming to the bar”? Why? Why would he avoid her?

Yeah it was implied that except for that one initial drink they had (with brothers and friends) at JH's bar, DH after that, avoided the bar ... another hole on the premise that all DH ever think and feel about JA is just compassion, charity, friendly platonic affinity.  Because if that is the case his usual routines will not be affected even in the slightest by whether she's there... or she's not there.  Those that we have no interest in, most often that not are regarded by us with indifference... we're unaffected...unperturbed..

but JA stirs in him significant reactions, he is so conscious of her presence, so affected by her... his senses are attuned to her... as one would behave towards just a friend as they keep on insisting, i dont think so. The pull is strong, and he was perhaps resisting with all his willpower at that point. 

• Like 13

hands down the best kdrama of the season in terms of script and editing. Kudos to IU! 

6 hours ago, hushhh said:

For me it is a story of human goodness, human deep connection, and a human philanthropic love on the part of Donghoon and first love hero-worship JiAn.

We share the same view. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, ninaanin said:

Maybe he isn't just into subtle things? But I agree that that crying scene has more to do with his broken marriage (not missing her) than with JA, although I think that she has her share in it. I read that scene as his finally accepting his projected life doesn't exist anymore. Even if one isn't in love, it is very painful to let go of a marriage that represents what one thought it will be his perfect life. 

Well I showed to my two kids (a girl of 12 - she hadn't see any scene then, and a boy of 16 he had see a few shots) the scene when he asked to the barman if that pretty girl didn't come. My daughter asked if it was a love triangle (because KI) and both said they were in love. So... 

@ninaanin they say children are more perceptive than adults. So go with what your kids say

Spoiler

@Kimchi Sweet Potato  Thank you soooo much for this vid!!!! It made me so emotional seeing all the scenes of them finally being happy.  It gave me a better understanding of what that last scene meant.  Kamsahamnida!!!! :)

(Though to be honest, I still haven’t seen the whole subbed version of the last two episodes yet.) 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, aisling said:

@sadiesmith Who are those two ladies in photos with LSK? Are those his stylists? LOL, did they put on some filter? Because he looks in his early 30s in that second pic. :lol:

About IU - I don’t know how close she usually gets with her co-stars but she seems quite at ease and relaxed around LSK sunbae. The way they high-fived and hugged each other was like watching two close friends interacting.

A number of people observed her as very hard to get close to.  She's polite, gracious, and friendly but she seem to have this wall around her, a very selected few was able to break down that wall hahha....so it's not easy to get close to her, or for her to open up and be at ease... but once she befriends and accepts you, you got a friend for life .. i think thats what Yoo Ina, her best friend said about her.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, berny said:

A number of people observed her as very hard to get close to.  She's polite, gracious, and friendly but she seem to have this wall around her, a very selected few was able to break down that wall hahha....so it's not easy to get close to her, or for her to open up and be at ease... but once she befriends and accepts you, you got a friend for life .. i think thats what Yoo Ina, her best friend said about her.

@berny I think she and LSK became close during the shoot, judging from her own thank you message, when she referred to him as her best partner.  And judging by his own birthday message for her too.  And of course their BTS and post-finale clips.  That wouldn’t be surprising because they wouldn’t have had that much spark and chemistry onscreen if they didn’t like each other at all. That would have shown in the way they acted their roles.

I love that hugging clip!  We finally got the warm hug that we would have wanted to see from Dong Hoon and Ji An. :D

• Like 10
  • LOL 8

10 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

@berny I think she and LSK became close during the shoot, judging from her own thank you message, when she referred to him as her best partner.  And judging by his own birthday message for her too.  And of course their BTS and post-finale clips.  That wouldn’t be surprising because they wouldn’t have had that much spark and chemistry onscreen if they didn’t like each other at all. That would have shown in the way they acted their roles.

I love that hugging clip!  We finally got the warm hug that we would have wanted to see from Dong Hoon and Ji An. :D

Is there a subbed version of the post-finale clips?  How can I watch the clips of their thanking each other?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sal2 said:

regarding the conversation between DH and that man in the caffe about YH. according to one person in another forum he said "My kids mom" witch imply that they are separated but keep in contact because of their boy. she also is living in the US with her boy and learn english. DH have always before said wife and had YH saved as Wife on the phone. according to this person it is very disused in korean forum. because it is first time he said My kids mom it is important piece to know if they still married. so yes I think it is a new fresh start for JA and DH after getting healed :) also way DH can smile so big at JA. 

In another file source DH mentioned "my wife" instead of "My kid's mom" which seems to imply that he and his wife are still married. It is just that they are separated and YH stays with the boy. :ph34r:

5 hours ago, ccl82 said:

If you ask me, there is only one ending: they will be together. The clues that I'm seeing are all pointing in that direction. 

She's back in Seoul >> She's gonna buy him a delicious meal >> She's gonna call him (if we know JA, she means what she says)

He's grinning like an idiot (if we know DH, and we do, it's all in his face & eyes)

And these are just clues from the last scene. I'm sure you will find way more by scrolling through this thread/ re-watching his & her expressions. 

Yea it's obvious that JA likes DH even till the end as her gaze and breathing when she saw him show it all. And in some scenes in the last episode she still professed her love and longing for him (e.g. on the hospital bed, outside the funeral, having a meal together..etc. not to mention the episodes before this...) As for DH, he was grinning widely from eye to eye..haha. Yes I am hoping that it is an indication of liking her, and that he is ready to open his heart and accept her love..In the earlier episodes, we could see the longing in his eyes (and tears) whenever he sees Ji An or her talking to him how she liked him. Her expressions of love probably tugs at this heartstrings.  I think the writer sometimes intended for DH's feelings to remain subtly expressed due to his personality 

• Like 13

50 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Is there a subbed version of the post-finale clips?  How can I watch the clips of their thanking each other?

I was going to post something but I’m about to leave on our trip! LSG said he was so absorbed in the filming he didn’t even realize filming was over until he heard the OST playing and then his eyes started welling with tears. Will post more later if no one has translated yet!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, invisiblev said:

In another file source DH mentioned "my wife" instead of "My kid's mom" which seems to imply that he and his wife are still married. It is just that they are separated and YH stays with the boy. :ph34r:

sorry to cut your post. 

Read this post: 

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, justamom said:

I was going to post something but I’m about to leave on our trip! LSG said he was so absorbed in the filming he didn’t even realize filming was over until he heard the OST playing and then his eyes started welling with tears. Will post more later if no one has translated yet!

@justamom, really?  I will hunt you down for the complete translation if no one does before you get to it.  Thank you in advance!

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

My heart is so full, thanks to this amazing, healing show, and this amazing, healing forum. I couldn't have asked for a better ending. We had things we needed closure on, and what we got actually exceeded our expectations! A rare feat! Sure, we shippers didn't get the rom-com ending we were dying for to end the shipping "war" for good, but this was never a rom-com to begin with. We got the best ending to our main loveline in the subtlest way possible. Very real. Very consistent with the rest of the show. And as someone worded it: Very classy.

- If you're a literalist, I can kinda see how DH and JA can come across as a non-romantic pair who simply forged a deep human connection and were meant to heal each other as two ships passing in the night...

But if you read between the lines, if you reflect on all the little "breadcrumbs" (as @justamom calls them), I think you'll reach a single, critical conclusion: DH and JA are destined to be, and they do start a relationship, formally, at the end of the drama.

- I'm so glad they don't have the emotional baggage in their interactions now, and I'm so glad DH doesn't see her as a "pitiful child" anymore. If anything, I saw that his eyes were brimming with love, admiration and respect for this beautiful, competent, mature young lady.

Yes, they got some time and space to learn to be comfortable in their own skin. And they've healed a great deal in the process. But I think to truly "be happy", they need each other. Have you ever seen DH grinning wider than when he's with JA? And remember these words from ep 15? "And when I think of you, in pain because of me... I will be in so much pain, that I won't be able to go on." Her pain is his pain. Her happiness is his happiness. And vice versa.

Here's how I interpreted the last scene: If Ji Ahn's Ahjussi initiates skinship, you know this is a big deal. With that one signal, they both knew that the sparks were very much there. Now that they have healed, found themselves, and learned to love themselves, they are ready to love each other - without any social barriers holding them down. YAY!

The fact that he invited her to his company, that his team REALLY wanted to meet her, that they work so close to each other now - all these are signs that they definitely go back into each other's life, for good. How fitting that the place that started it all (Saman E&C) is, in a sense, the place that returns them to each other.

Some parallels with my #1 favorite film:

• 7z2ULcB.png

Reminds me of "I'll never let go. I promise." Only here, they are both alive and well, and ready to enter each other's life again.

• DH: I was on the verge of dying... but you were the one who saved me.

Reminds me of "[H]e saved me... in every way that a person can be saved". The highest declaration of love, in my opinion.

• And of course, they are both legendary OTPs to me. Soulmates who understand and complete each other perfectly.

- I don't see why people insist that DH has been there for her as a father figure. JA already has a father figure in her life - hellooo, the custodian oreshin! He even set them up in ep 15, and let them have a much-needed heart-to-heart. Also, he could rest assured that JA has a man like DH by her side at Halmeoni's funeral.

Maybe I'm repeating what has been said already, but:

1. DH can't stop staring at her / looking for her (if a dad stared at his daughter like that, it would be downright creepy);
  2. DH looks at her with a lot of longing;
  3. DH didn't want to let her go, but lunch time was up! Also, you don't shake hands with someone you don't have a romantic interest in for that long or with that intensity.

Anyone who has forgotten how much DH longs for JA should rewatch ep 14-15, when the man wore his emotions on his sleeve and was almost going crazy from "missing someone all night".

Sometimes shaking hands isn't just shaking hands.

- The post-funeral scenes were pure gold. The bus scene. The conversations on the stairs. JA's sass - "Are you planning to be super nice to me and then say, "Okay, that'll be all" and leave me?" Halmeoni's timeless advice... which makes me wonder: How much of the subtlety got lost in translation? Like "ae omma vs. jib saram"? I'm especially curious about what Halmeoni said about DH and JA's relationship. I'd be eternally grateful if someone could interpret that Korean bit. Some real motivation to level up my Korean skills!

- Very few dramas make me feel, reflect, and engage as My Ahjussi did. You will forever hold a special place in my heart, Show. It's definitely a 10/10 drama for me, and also the Drama of the Year. I can see myself rewatching this gem when I feel really down, as I do with First Love.

- Thank you to the entire My Ahjussi cast and crew. I've grown to love the actors / characters, and I even found myself rooting for those whom I didn't like particularly, like Ki Hoon and Kwang Il.

- Thank you, Show, for showing me IU's brilliance and for solidifying my love for LSK even more. Now my love for him is diamond-solid!

- Thank you to everyone on this forum. You guys transformed my casual drama-watching into a journey. I love you all, and I'll be rooting for your happiness! Haengbok-haja! :heart:

P.S.: I'm curious - How do you guys interpret the show's title? Looking back, why couldn't they have just named it "Ahjussi"? I don't think it's merely because there's a movie with the same name. For instance, there are dozens of shows with the same title as my drama love, First Love (the 1996 drama).

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Thank you soooo much for this vid!!!! It made me so emotional seeing all the scenes of them finally being happy.  It gave me a better understanding of what that last scene meant.  Kamsahamnida!!!! :)

(Though to be honest, I still haven’t seen the whole subbed version of the last two episodes yet.) 

My pleasure. To be honest, I struggled so much with this video. Our characters didn't smile often except perhaps for Yura. Finding clips was like drawing blood out of stone. :wink:

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

I did not watch The Prime Minister and I, but I know that drama had big age-gap and also ended with a handshake.  My question to those who watched that show, how is our show's ending different than that one?  Why did PM&I generate so much furor over the ending and this one got a pass? A handshake was actually one of my dreaded endings for this show, but you, my Soompi friends, managed to convince me that it's okay. :lol:

• Like 7

Dramabeans recap for episode 15 is up!

My Ahjussi: Episode 15

Well, have to agree with the recapper on this one:

“I said before that this is not a romance story, but it’s most certainly a love story between Dong-hoon and Ji-an. It’s just not a love story in which the people involved are meant to share a life — it’s the kind of love story where their love is so pure and real that they genuinely just want each other to live happy lives, whatever that means. It doesn’t mean that they “fall in love” and get married and have a family, that’s much too simple for these two. They just want to make the other’s life better however they can. For Ji-an that means seeing Dong-hoon in the job he deserves, with the life partner he deserves. And for Dong-hoon, it means helping Ji-an move beyond her past and being seen and loved by others for who she is now, not what she did once before.”

• Like 6

Okey, this is according to my own imagination...hu hu ha ha

(which i really hoped they have shown in back-story scenes, like those flashback explanations, like they usually do fr some scenes...but the drama run out of time):tongue:

Okey, my take is since the Chairman is also an appointed Captain of our DH-JA Ship and also the fairy god-father of DH-JA ... had perhaps even before sending JA to Busan, has already mentioned the idea to DH beforehand, maybe the Chairman said it will just be for a year (like a trial period?) and i will keep you posted *wink*wink since her new boss is my good friend.  So maybe grandpa Chairman advised him also that within that time is for him to settle his unresolved issues too and heal his emotional pain as well.

So one year after, DH got a heads-up from dear Chairman saying to him that JA is back to Seoul, so you orbit that vicinity where she works, bring a colleague to chat with to a cafe nearby so it would not be sooo obvious... and just act cool when you see her, you got that !

But DH ended up smiling all dorky , giddy at the sight of her.

w-aaaahaha

I need the Chairman to validate my delulu.:lol:

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

Sometimes shaking hands isn't just shaking hands.

- The post-funeral scenes were pure gold. The bus scene. The conversations on the stairs. JA's sass - "Are you planning to be super nice to me and then say, "Okay, that'll be all" and leave me?" Halmeoni's timeless advice... which makes me wonder: How much of the subtlety got lost in translation? Like "ae omma vs. jib saram". I'm especially curious about what Halmeoni said about DH and JA's relationship. I'd be eternally grateful if someone could interpret that Korean bit. Some real motivation to level up my Korean skills!

P.S.: I'm curious - How do you guys interpret the show's title? Looking back, why couldn't they have just named it "Ahjussi"? I don't think it's merely because there's a movie with the same name. For instance, there are dozens of shows with the same title as my drama love, First Love (the 1996 drama).

So about what Gramma says:

First, some background knowledge. She mentions "in-yeon" (인연), which can be interpreted as a bond between people or as a destined meeting. When I say "destined meeting", I could be referring to the belief that every meeting is fated to occur--so just the fact that I'm replying to your post and that you will most likely see it and possibly respond means that we have some kind of in-yeon even if this is the last time we ever interact again. That's the "casual" definition. Or, it could mean a relationship with special meaning--someone that you were predestined to meet and who has a huge impact on your life (not necessarily in a romantic sense).

Anyway, this is my translation of what she told Jian:

"It is a very good in-yeon (about DH and JA's relationship). And a precious one. When you think about it (literally, look slowly/calmly), every in-yeon is miraculous and precious. You must repay (him). Live happily. That is repaying (him)."

Also, the director explained the title during the press conference. He said that the drama is about how two people who seem like they would have nothing in common become precious to each other, and the title is supposed to reflect that. Like how someone might say "my mom" or "my friend" or "my neighbor".

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

@maddymappo said:  "  was also a  bit disappointed by Jian's  look and attire at the end, I would have liked a more upbeat sophisticated look for her. But of course, the simplicity is quintessential JiAn. Never frivolous or vain.  Didn't get  why were we just viewing her pony tail at first?  Was her face supposed to be a surprise?  "

You are right.  The new and improved Lee Ji-an is basically the same Lee Ji-an with improved social skills, who can express herself and smile and be with her contemporary... But inside she is still the introvert private person from the beginning...a timid hermit crab that is crawling out slowly from its shell.  Because of that she does change easily.... As can be seen her ponytail is the same (just a little longer).  Her clothing are some what more stylish and she wears heels instead of sneakers....and has (you soompian knows better than this reader) make up on.  Remember Yoo Ra comment "1st time I've seen a woman without make up... you are pretty without realizing you are pretty".

At  least now, she has come enough out of her shell to start wearing make up!    The director deliberately showed her back to hide that fact until the audience can see her transformation at the same time as Ajusshi….so we can feel his surprise at this discovery!  

To the untrained eyes of this reader, the new Ji-an looks the same but different, sophisticated but not garish,  better dressed  but  with simple clothes, poise but humble, all  together the mature  version of the Ji-an that we know....
No wonder Ajusshi grin from ear to ear!.... He looks like a boy who  found the cookie jar!

• Like 19
  • LOL 2